• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Lord Phol

I recently got Panther to 60 and I thought he was pretty fun. Cutting through enemies with his movement power feels good. I hate his noble/high and mighty attitude though.

I wouldn't really call him high and mighty myself, most often he's quite the humble and considerate person.
Black Panther was the first hero I bought and played at release. He has some of the best animations in the game and he's quite agile and fun to play as. The one thing that he really is lacking is some good AoE powers. With the game currently designed for heroes to take on lots of enemies at the same time it makes him feel kind of ineffective. Hopefully they'll fix just that with this review, looking forward to it!

Also just read through Ultimats Vol.3, it was so laughable bad that I almost enjoyed it (starts off with some Tony Stark and Black Widow sex-tape action, followed by emo angsty Hawkeye hating life and topped off with Thor getting it on with a groupie). Let's see how Ultimatum pans out!

KePoW

Banned
Also just read through Ultimats Vol.3, it was so laughable bad that I almost enjoyed it (starts off with some Tony Stark and Black Widow sex-tape action, followed by emo angsty Hawkeye hating life and topped off with Thor getting it on with a groupie).

LOL wtf, I need to read this!! What's the name of the series and year?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
well thats new... before I could log in, I have a huge banner saying YOUR GTX580 VIDEO CARD HAS OUTDATED DRIVERS FIX THAT SHIT OR DIE (that last part was maybe not there)

guess I need to update my drivers :p

edit:
2609596-splinters.png

loki_gif.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
keeping with the tradition of biting more than I can chew (same as with the 2 for 1 random heroes some months ago), I got 5 more random costumes and...they were all shit or dupes (of course). lets see:

Ironman MK4 (blender)
Avengers Hulk (Ill use it and toss gray Hulk in the blender since its even worse but I hate it)
All New Xmen Cyclops dupe (bought it last week sigh)
Luke Cage noir (ill keep it just because of the "you can always prestige and get the default back" theory but I dont really like it)
Human Torch blue costume (lol blender)

Ill never learn :p Blender result was better at least. All New Cyke + Blue Torch + IM MK4 gave me Classic Gambit, which I actually wanted to distinguish from Death when its out. Im 1 molecule away from making another, ill see if it drops in midtown, if not ill just buy one.

The moment I saw the random costume box, I said to myself "Oh shit. Raknhar may declare bankruptcy by Sunday."

They know how you tick man. They know and they're zeroing in. Watch ya back. ;P

I want to buy a bix, but I promised myself no more money spent on Marvel Heroes til fall once I got the Advance Pack... damnit.

Random costume box is good if you have a good number of heroes but not many costumes. I think it would only be a disappointment for me.
Some bosses spawned in Midtown, so I started to head towards them but then a Sentinel spawned. I stopped to kill him, because I feel kinda guilty if I get the "the mutant has been killed" when I dont intervene :)
Anyway, for once I had some good karma and got a Unique to drop from the Sentinel.

jEAZOE1j7zlXZ.jpg

...Betty Ross' Big-Ass Sword.
I havent heard of it before, but the stats are pretty solid.
+758 Damage
+616 Physical attacks
3% chance to make enemies take 10% extra damage for 10 seconds
+1 to all powers

Now I have this and Dragonfang, but Im not sure who I'll equip them on.

Lord Phol

This, followed by Ultimatum pretty much ruined the whole Ultimate universe. I dislike Jeph Loeb so much for this.

Yeah I read through Ultimatum today, it was pretty horribad. One of the worst things I've experienced in comics so far.

Anyway, for once I had some good karma and got a Unique to drop from the Sentinel.

+758 Damage
+616 Physical attacks
+1 to all powers

Oh man I want those two so bad, grats!

So I had some Gs left over and had been waiting for a sale.
Was hoping for one of the B1G1 sales as I was on a business trip last time. :mad:

I bought one box and got Big Time Spider-man Red
That put a smile on my face so I bought another and got Storm 90s X-Men.

That put an even bigger smile on my face so I decided to try my luck at the RNG with the blender and some unwanted defaults!

Storm 90s X-Men.
:(
The RNG gods laugh at me.

Tossing that one and the last of my defaults back in the blender produced House of M Scarlet Witch
So overall it worked out pretty well!

Rhaknar

second blender today ended up being emma white queen, which isnt as good as pheonix so meh. meh I say!

no more randoms for me (boxes or otherwise, well, craft wise im tapped out of extra costumes or molecules anyway so it will be awhile, well, except the emma one I just got), back to specifics only (next will probably be Shuri enhanced for BP to go with the review, would love if it was out next week in time for my birthday, but i bet its only in 2 weeks with strange)

seth-magic

Neo Member
Ok - trying to get into the swing of things (aheh...), and I had a quick question if any of you guys happen to know the answer:

What's best way to approach Spidey from a DPS standpoint? His defenses seem pretty legit, but his attack is too weak. Having all that defense does me no good if I'm giving Electro all the time in the world to break it down.

I was reading on the Marvel Heroes board that - apparently - Spider-Man was beast-mode, until 12/2013, when "He caught the nerf monster jumbo plane" (as member Gift puts it).

Is this still an accurate assessment? Did I miss the boat on Spider-Man? :(

I can't speak to the power of any specific build, but the reason certain people feel he was nerfed is because of the changes to the dodge system. Someone can probably elaborate better than me.

Vecks

Ok - trying to get into the swing of things (aheh...), and I had a quick question if any of you guys happen to know the answer:

What's best way to approach Spidey from a DPS standpoint? His defenses seem pretty legit, but his attack is too weak. Having all that defense does me no good if I'm giving Electro all the time in the world to break it down.

I was reading on the Marvel Heroes board that - apparently - Spider-Man was beast-mode, until 12/2013, when "He caught the nerf monster jumbo plane" (as member Gift puts it).

Don't worry too much about what they say on the boards. Spiderman just used to be invincible at higher levels, and now he's not.

As for taking time to beat Electro, don't worry about that either. Event bosses, like Electro, just have much higher HP/def than normal bosses in any other mode (except maybe cosmic terminals), because they take a while to respawn and are supposed to be able to survive against a large number of heroes. If you're having trouble with midtown bosses, that's normal at low levels too. Once you get better gear, more powers, they won't be a problem anymore.

seth-magic

Neo Member
Don't worry too much about what they say on the boards. Spiderman just used to be invincible at higher levels, and now he's not.

As for taking time to beat Electro, don't worry about that either. Event bosses, like Electro, just have much higher HP/def than normal bosses in any other mode (except maybe cosmic terminals), because they take a while to respawn and are supposed to be able to survive against a large number of heroes. If you're having trouble with midtown bosses, that's normal at low levels too. Once you get better gear, more powers, they won't be a problem anymore.

Ok, cool - cuz, I knew getting back onto a PC game after so many years would take a bit of a learning curve...I just wanted to make sure my struggles were based on that, and I wasn't confusing it with a hero-specific handicap.

Might have to consider getting a second character at some point that's more suited to the beat-em-up approach

What spec are you using? Spidey's offense is pretty good with the right skills and gear buffing those skills. This is the build I would use at the moment, but admittedly it's pretty heavy on the spirit consumption. If you don't have a good spirit battery artifact like Pym's Shrinking (lol...), Mark of the Odinborn, or Scrolls of Pama, you may want to take half the points from both Constrictive Webbing and Web Shield and put those into maxing Spidey Pummel.

Gothos

I can't speak to the power of any specific build, but the reason certain people feel he was nerfed is because of the changes to the dodge system. Someone can probably elaborate better than me.

Not only that. I don't know about ranged Spidey but melee Spidey was also nerfed really, really bad and his damage is pitiful imho. He was awesome ater his rework, then they nerfed him, then they nerfed dodge, then once again they made a pass on his powers which once again turned out to be nerf and right now he's a shadow of itself.

If you wanna fun dodge based melee hero go Daredevil, seth-magic, he's a blast to play. (imho!) :)

What spec are you using? Spidey's offense is pretty good with the right skills and gear buffing those skills. This is the build I would use at the moment, but admittedly it's pretty heavy on the spirit consumption. If you don't have a good spirit battery artifact like Pym's Shrinking (lol...), Mark of the Odinborn, or Scrolls of Pama, you may want to take half the points from both Constrictive Webbing and Web Shield and put those into maxing Spidey Pummel.

That build might be good on paper but in live play it's really clunky imho. I tried it out yesterday and Spidey Brawl (former Amazing Uppercut) is soooooooo slow, soooooo badly animated and AFAIK it doesn't take into account attack speed from items which means you can't even increase it's responsivness. I couldn't stand to use that power for more than 10 minutes.

Blank!

+758 Damage
+616 Physical attacks
+1 to all powers

Betty Ross's sword is pretty mediocre sadly. Your hero needs to have a ridiculously bad slot 1 for it to be any good.

Compare it to the Darkhold which gives more than DOUBLE the damage (to mental instead of physical) and brutal stirke rating/damage (albeit, that's pretty bad).

Depending on your roll to boss damage, each 1% is the equivalent to 40 damage rating. The one I rolled has 2% but I believe it goes up to 5%?

The vulnerability proc has a low chance and doesn't stack with existing vulnerability procs, just overwrites. So again, unless your hero of choice has only poor methods of applying vulnerability, this ends up being pointless.

The Dragonfang sword blows Betty Ross out of the water. +1 Fighting translates to +400 damage rating (provided your skills actually have the "Fighting" tag, and you aren't already at rank 7). The Crit and Crit Damage can roll pretty damn high for a slot 1 which makes it Best in Slot for a lot of heroes/builds. The proc's are largely mediocre (due to cooldown/proc chance) but yeah... still way ahead of Betty Ross for any hero I can think of that would use either.

I currently use Dragonfang for Thing but it's a good option for Thor, Deadpool, and Hawkeye too. I've got 2 and will probably use equip one to Hawkeye too.

Betty Ross I've got sitting in my stash with no good options sadly. Haven't found a hero to equip it on yet :(

Blank!

That build might be good on paper but in live play it's really clunky imho. I tried it out yesterday and Spidey Brawl (former Amazing Uppercut) is soooooooo slow, soooooo badly animated and AFAIK it doesn't take into account attack speed from items which means you can't even increase it's responsivness. I couldn't stand to use that power for more than 10 minutes.

Agreed with this. I've gone to a melee build and I'm switching back to ranged. Hybrid just isn't worth it IMO unless you simply can't stand playing spiderman as ranged.

Brawl is clunky as heck and Web Wrecking ball just makes me sad.

Side note, but Squirrel Girl melee is god awful. Nutcracker has to be the worst attack in the game, and it's her main single target spirit spender for melee? Screw that slow ass move.

seth-magic

Neo Member

Well, I'm only a lvl 10 right now, but my costume's got some buffs on it - not sure what bases my powers are leveled to, since they're all green, but Here's what the green numbers say.

As for relics and artifacts, I suppose those come at a later point - I haven't stumbled across any yet.

It's certainly not a glamorous spec, that I won't deny, but it does its job. I mean, it's really only down to that and Barrage based on player taste. Quite frankly, I think Spidey in general needs to have his gameplay flow looked at, for melee, ranged, and hybrid. Now that his damage isn't above and beyond what the game is balanced for, his gameplay flaws are much more glaring.

Well, I'm only a lvl 10 right now, but my costume's got some buffs on it - not sure what bases my powers are leveled to, since they're all green, but Here's what the green numbers say.

As for relics and artifacts, I suppose those come at a later point - I haven't stumbled across any yet.

Oh if you're just level 10 then you've got a ways to go before he really opens up gameplay wise. Keep at it before dropping Spidey. If you get into the 30s and you're still not feeling the character, then it would be a good idea to look to another character.

KePoW

Banned

Don't pay attention to the MH forums. Spider-Man is still perfectly viable and fine.

Gothos

It's certainly not a glamorous spec, that I won't deny, but it does its job. I mean, it's really only down to that and Barrage based on player taste. Quite frankly, I think Spidey in general needs to have his gameplay flow looked at, for melee, ranged, and hybrid. Now that his damage isn't above and beyond what the game is balanced for, his gameplay flaws are much more glaring.

Yep, that's the consenus among most of Spidey players but it seems Gaz is deaf to our complains. He'll definetely be improved but it won't happen anytime soon.

GManDH

guys i just went to a boost party. we need to either organize one or look out for one for each other. i have 1 WEEK of RIF and SIF boost. they are doing one everyday.

GManDH

YEA. I KNOW. its this one guy who starts it and like 50+ ppl get together on the rooftop of hells kitchen and just start using the boosts thing and everyone gets boosts. i think they crashed the server because i was "disconnected". we can organize this. itll prob be about 5ish CST tom or 7ish.

Vecks

DegenTP (guy who makes informative youtube videos about Marvel Heroes) found a costume and also discovered something interesting.

http://www.twitch.tv/degentp/c/3883697

And word from a dev about this issue.

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. It looks like someone forgot to set a flag on costume items to display screen edge pointers. I fixed the issue and it will be in-game definitely by the end of the month unless I can convince production to let me move it in sooner.

That is just cruel. Best not to think too much about it.

YEA. I KNOW. its this one guy who starts it and like 50+ ppl get together on the rooftop of hells kitchen and just start using the boosts thing and everyone gets boosts. i think they crashed the server because i was "disconnected". we can organize this. itll prob be about 5ish CST tom or 7ish.

Ummm, please post here when that goes down.

Betty Ross's sword is pretty mediocre sadly. Your hero needs to have a ridiculously bad slot 1 for it to be any good.

Compare it to the Darkhold which gives more than DOUBLE the damage (to mental instead of physical) and brutal stirke rating/damage (albeit, that's pretty bad).

Depending on your roll to boss damage, each 1% is the equivalent to 40 damage rating. The one I rolled has 2% but I believe it goes up to 5%?

The vulnerability proc has a low chance and doesn't stack with existing vulnerability procs, just overwrites. So again, unless your hero of choice has only poor methods of applying vulnerability, this ends up being pointless.

The Dragonfang sword blows Betty Ross out of the water. +1 Fighting translates to +400 damage rating (provided your skills actually have the "Fighting" tag, and you aren't already at rank 7). The Crit and Crit Damage can roll pretty damn high for a slot 1 which makes it Best in Slot for a lot of heroes/builds. The proc's are largely mediocre (due to cooldown/proc chance) but yeah... still way ahead of Betty Ross for any hero I can think of that would use either.

I currently use Dragonfang for Thing but it's a good option for Thor, Deadpool, and Hawkeye too. I've got 2 and will probably use equip one to Hawkeye too.

Betty Ross I've got sitting in my stash with no good options sadly. Haven't found a hero to equip it on yet :(

Ah, thats a pity. Especially since it has such a cool name :)
I haventy noticed any of my heroes have particularly bad slot 1 Uniques, so this sword might just sit in my stash for a while too.

Rhaknar

Im using betty ross on nightcrawler because his sword buffs the sword tree mostly which I dont use :/

Gambit seems fun, im liking his melee tree more than his ranged, I would say unexpectantly, but it seems Im drifting more and more to melee these days, at least in this game. Also grand slam looks awesome

Rhaknar

upcoming Squirrel Girl (much needed) buffs and changes

this part made me laugh:

Passives

We will be condensing her 7 passives into 3 passives and 1 activated steroid buff in order to give players the option to take more active powers.

edit: holy shit 52 pickup is amazing, I almost feel like putting points into it even tho I refuse to put points (as in, more than 1) in 1min cd spells

Is it just me, or is Spider-Man really squishy?

Level 48 now and Doom (or pretty much any boss Terminal) seems like an insta-hit kill..

I'm sitting on ~7400 health, but one-two hits downs me straight away and his lack of health regen (despite a few artifacts and stuff contributing to health regen) seems to have me just skirting around the battle most of the time?

Any tips for powers I should be using, or artifacts/medals I should be equipping?

Or is Spidey by definition just going to be a bit of a glass cannon?

Gothos

My DD is not squishy but he has quite a lot of defensive tricks (invisibility under certain hp % + DOT heal) which Spidey missess :)

Blank!

Is it just me, or is Spider-Man really squishy?

Level 48 now and Doom (or pretty much any boss Terminal) seems like an insta-hit kill..

I'm sitting on ~7400 health, but one-two hits downs me straight away and his lack of health regen (despite a few artifacts and stuff contributing to health regen) seems to have me just skirting around the battle most of the time?

Any tips for powers I should be using, or artifacts/medals I should be equipping?

Or is Spidey by definition just going to be a bit of a glass cannon?

Lots of people max out spidershield for the active regen. It's crappy compared to nearly everyone else, but it's all he's got. Max Spidey sense will give some (small) evasion chance and at least half a good chunk of damage too.

Ranged is infinitely easier than melee as well. Keep mobile with agile assault for the buff to MS/AS.

Irobot82

I'm not done leveling my Moon Knight or Ms Marvel but the Timely inc outfit came out for Rocket Raccoon and I couldn't resist.

6940341ADCB46B3BAF80B66E0491D5F7335247DE

If you throw on some post AA like SMAA it'll clear those jaggies right up and the game will look smooth as butter, shouldn't be a hit to FPS either.

Top Bottom