• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Irobot82

Niiiice.
He looks good fun too when I see him around.

To be honest, all of my random heroes so far, even ones I haven't been hyping, or was slightly disappointed about getting - have been pretty great thus far.

I haven't had such luck until now, my previous two randoms were BW and Wolverine, neither of which were fun to me.

I haven't had such luck until now, my previous two randoms were BW and Wolverine, neither of which were fun to me.

I'd be SUPER happy if I got Wolverine. The missus is a huge fan and I've always liked the character, so it's disappointing to hear his play style isn't all that great.

Black Widow seems a boring inclusion, but I dunno, I thought Cap was going to be really boring too (I was thinking "blergh, melee and some shield throws, yay...") and I ended up surprised.

Marvel fanboy though, so I'd probably like anyone lol

KePoW

Banned
I'd be SUPER happy if I got Wolverine. The missus is a huge fan and I've always liked the character, so it's disappointing to hear his play style isn't all that great.

Black Widow seems a boring inclusion, but I dunno, I thought Cap was going to be really boring too (I was thinking "blergh, melee and some shield throws, yay...") and I ended up surprised.

Who's your favorite Marvel comic character??

For Thor's 52 review, they just have to give him a blessed hammer type move

BMe7NVp.gif

Lord Phol

Wolverine was actually the first hero I took to level 60 and I enjoyed him all the way through. If you like him in the comics you should still enjoy his playstyle in Marvel Heroes. He does need some work though and could definetly benefit from more variation in powers and animations. I've benched him until his review which is set to be in may, or april if we are lucky.

On another note, I opened 93 Mark V cards on TC. Got mostly boosts, and the two costumes from the last 3 cards. They were both underwhelming IMO. Both heroes have way better costumes available from the store.

Got Cyclops to 60 last night. That's #2 for me along with Colossus. Now to decide who to work on next...

Gambit, for his synergies?
Jean Grey, because she is already at 30 and pretty powerful?
Panther, for his synergies?
Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye...the list goes on and on. I'm worried that I may be feeling a little burnout...

Toppot

Just got Deadpool to 60, really fun strong character, will probably prestige him in future, As a 'collector'(?) his synergies are going to be fantastic.

I got Hawkeye as a random hero, might not touch him, I don't like range, but Thing and Squirrel Girl are the only other non-60 heroes I have to play with.

Getting ready to go through with Squirrel Girl. Seems there are a few play styles, summoner, ranged/summoner, melee/summoner. So hard for me to choose, generally not a fan of ranged but I have the feeling she will be a bit week as melee/summoner, also not really interested in being pure summoner because I prefer a more hands on approach.

Any tips?

So, in one of the Dr. Strange threads, Doomsaw posted that the Sorcerer Supreme might end up being in the tier 3 bracket of characters (i.e. 600 splinters), but it's not entirely sure until accounting decides.

He also mentioned that they've shortlisted the next two tier 1 bracket (i.e. 200 splinters) heroes that come after X-23 and Beast, but didn't say whom they were.

Spidey's Back in Black costume has been added (voiced by Chris Barnes!). Comparison pic with the UP advanced version:

1aImk9s.jpg

I got Hawkeye as a random hero, might not touch him, I don't like range, but Thing and Squirrel Girl are the only other non-60 heroes I have to play with.

Getting ready to go through with Squirrel Girl. Seems there are a few play styles, summoner, ranged/summoner, melee/summoner. So hard for me to choose, generally not a fan of ranged but I have the feeling she will be a bit week as melee/summoner, also not really interested in being pure summoner because I prefer a more hands on approach.

Any tips?

You can do a solid build with Hawkeye using his melee basic and Wave of Arrows. Also Squirrel Girl's melee/summoner build is actually her best. She's getting a handful of good changes next week, so it might be wise to just wait for them.

inky

Which is kinda fair, I think. Spending $200 back then was madness. No one -I don't even think the devs themselves- had any idea the game would come this far, so it was kinda dumb spending that kind of money.

Plus UP owners are bitchy and whiny and you don't want to piss them off.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait they are selling a new symbiote costume that looks slightly different from the UP one, or they updated the UP one?

inky

:p Well, only the UP owners that post in the official forums.

I mean, it was dumb back then. In hindsight I probably would've done it too, considering I didn't expect to be playing this game in 2014, wanting to own every hero and most importantly, spending almost $400 on it.

wait they are selling a new symbiote costume that looks slightly different from the UP one, or they updated the UP one?

It's only a black costume. No different voice or Symbiote effects on it.

It's not a symbiote costume. Spidey has worn a non-symbiote black suit on numerous occasions (and the name of the suit refers to that as well). The UP suit is the symbiote one, with its own black particles and the shininess, whereas the one they're selling probably will still have white web fluid.

:p Well, only the UP owners that post in the official forums.

I mean, it was dumb back then. In hindsight I probably would've done it too, considering I didn't expect to be playing this game in 2014, wanting to own every hero and most importantly, spending almost $400 on it.

I post in the official forums too! :p

And maybe it was stupid, but I've expected the game to last for a while, long enough for me to get my money's worth out of it, and I certainly have.

ZenaxPure

Been trying to not burn myself out on D3 2.0 before the xpac so I decided to go back and give this a try since I wanted to play something similar. Usually get disinterested by how poor the combat is in most of these types of games, which happened the first time I played this as Daredevil but it seems like he changed a lot since the last time I played and I ended up having a shit load of fun on him (I'm a fan of combo point systems in general and they did a good job with his).

Played through the entire story in like two sittings, but, now I dunno what to do. Do you get the splinter/G rewards by replaying the game on a higher difficulty? Cause otherwise I did the holo-sim training thing and it was giving me a lot more xp then the story so I guess I would go back to that. I used my splinters to get a random hero and ended up getting Luke Cage who seems alright (he's like some melee/summoner character I guess?) but I think I want to keep playing Daredevil since he's a lot of fun. Halp.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I only got 24 Mk V cards, werent advance deluxe pack owners supposed to get 36?

Lord Phol

Got a bunch of boosts, 2x Matrix of unbinding and 10 Odin Marks.
Boosts were all right, got two of those 4 hours Cosmic Penta rush ones. No experience rush bars though, which I'm running out of D:.

inky

I only got 24 Mk V cards, werent advance deluxe pack owners supposed to get 36?

24 of each, totaling 72 with Mk. IV and VI.

I only got boosts as well (& one Matrix) but heck, I wasn't expecting anything different because that is how cards work. I even called it a few pages ago :p

Edit: Hmm, extra Gs weekend. I think I might buy $50 worth and save them for future costumes.

Lord Phol

Dr.Strange pre-pack is up, alternative costume is:

2064790-doctor_strange.jpg

Tempted to buy the 99$ G pack but I all ready bought it some months ago and still have 16k G left so.. probably shouldn't.

Rhaknar

I only got boosts aswell btw

Edit: Hmm, extra Gs weekend. I think I might buy $50 worth and save them for future costumes.

think ill do the same, birthday present for myself :p I want to get Shuri next week anyway

Blank!

Any tips?

I find her melee to be UNBEARABLE. Her best spirit spender for single targets (nutcracker) is just god awful in it's animation. So long and it roots you in place. I found it really difficult to get both hits to land since she doesn't bring much (any?) hard CC to the table either. I started with it but respec'ed out of that ASAP.

Her summons are very 'meh'. It's a neat idea but keeping your squirrel count up has been difficult for me. You need summon duration gear, but it tends to come tied with summoner +health gear (Wundagore Clay)... but squirrels are invulnerable so it's effectively a wasted stat.

Ranged/summoner has been working out for me but I'm still lowish level (pre-30). I'm mostly just using her as a legendary quest user. Fisk tower was absolutely horrible though... I got a legendary to do it so I did it on Red and it was really hard. You lose squirrels everytime you zone, so a few 8-12 pack blues at the entrance made for a lot of medkit spam/running around. Kingpin was rough too since you can't target your squirrels and he comes with a lot of adds.

I'm hopeful her partial re-work next week adds something to her kit.

Squirrel Girl week 1 is the best character this game has ever seen.

There was no limit to the number of squirrels you could summon. And when you left them off screen and they rubber banded to you, their duration timer reset.

It lead to this:
5FyILXp.jpg

Hundreds and hundreds of squirrels. It crashed Midtown 4 times that week.

Squirrel Girl is in a place where she feels very not-52review. Her Squirrel Twirl is her best damage ability. I'd use it, even, as a single target. But she's got design qualities of release characters and not 52review characters, for sure.

inky

Dr.Strange pre-pack is up, alternative costume is:

Called that one too :p

Edit: Wait, spidey costume is "for this weekend" only?
Or more precisely until they put it back again like chase costumes, except it will never go on a proper sale.

Ugh... half of this game wants me to love it and the other makes me roll my eyes so hard.

KePoW

Banned
Been trying to not burn myself out on D3 2.0 before the xpac so I decided to go back and give this a try since I wanted to play something similar. Usually get disinterested by how poor the combat is in most of these types of games, which happened the first time I played this as Daredevil but it seems like he changed a lot since the last time I played and I ended up having a shit load of fun on him (I'm a fan of combo point systems in general and they did a good job with his).

Played through the entire story in like two sittings, but, now I dunno what to do. Do you get the splinter/G rewards by replaying the game on a higher difficulty? Cause otherwise I did the holo-sim training thing and it was giving me a lot more xp then the story so I guess I would go back to that. I used my splinters to get a random hero and ended up getting Luke Cage who seems alright (he's like some melee/summoner character I guess?) but I think I want to keep playing Daredevil since he's a lot of fun. Halp.

Yeah the game is so much better now.

You should do Legendary quests if you want to level to 60. There are two higher difficulty settings and the Legendary quests will take you to them.

Also X-Defense is great for loot and can be done at any level. Same with Holo-Sim.

Luke Cage is a beast and really fun.

Lord Phol

Gotta make money out of those whales somehow. As long as it isn't something that takes away from the gameplay I'm happy.
I just learned that the "Defender" costume can also be the blue masked one, so until we hear from gaz it's still up in the air.

After returning and starting fresh 2 days ago, I've gotten Johnny up to 25. The leveling is really fast as I don't really have much time to play and still feel I've leveled a lot with so little time. Right now I'm just chaining legendary quests. Is this pretty much the way to go until 60?

Also, when it comes to items, is it generally OK to use a cosmic with lesser damage ratings than an epic? The paperdoll dps is lower, but the spells sometimes with their added levels say they do more damage when comparing. Which should I trust?

Is there any reason to go through the story?

inky

Gotta make money out of those whales somehow. As long as it isn't something that takes away from the gameplay I'm happy.

Sure, whatever. Just put them in the store and leave them there. Same deal with chase costumes really. The whole "exclusivity" aspect from them is gone anyway.

That kind of artificial scarcity is something that I understand in free to play games, but always rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I guess I'm not the kind of person that sees "limited time only", and goes "OMG, I must have it right now!" which is obviously who they are appealing to. I just get annoyed that they try to make it like that in order to squeeze a few indecisive people. What's the point? It's not fair or exciting to the player, I guess I always see this side of the issue and not really care for their side.

Not a big deal in any case, just rolling my eyes a bit over here. In fact I was thinking of buying it with the recently acquired Gs, but now fuck it. That'll show them
:p

Damn. How much is it?

It's 1250.

Lord Phol

Ah just saw it, probably the one I will be using. Will try to go on a Strange blackout until he's released on live from now on.

inky

I don't know which of the 2 I'll be using. Probably the other from 1-40ish, then this from 40-60.

I hope he is good because I'm pretty excited about playing him already. Will become one of my mains for sure.

Finally got my first Unique with Ghost Rider last night in X-Defense.

And it was Jean Grey's M'Kraan Nexus Mask. Which I already have, twice.
Is there any point in keeping the extras?

Which Relic and Uru are you lot using for Ghost Rider? I'm focusing on the chain powers at the moment, specifically Whirling Chain, so I'm thinking the +melee Uru.

Are there better builds?

KePoW

Banned
Finally got my first Unique with Ghost Rider last night in X-Defense.

Yes, duplicate Uniques will be used in special crafting later on.

Vecks

Do you get the splinter/G rewards by replaying the game on a higher difficulty? Cause otherwise I did the holo-sim training thing and it was giving me a lot more xp then the story so I guess I would go back to that. I used my splinters to get a random hero and ended up getting Luke Cage who seems alright (he's like some melee/summoner character I guess?) but I think I want to keep playing Daredevil since he's a lot of fun. Halp.

The splinters and Gs are one time only per account. All other rewards you can get on other difficulties, like hp/sp increases or power points. So after you beat the story once, there's no real reason to do the whole thing again. I mostly just do legendary quests, terminals and x-def.

If you enjoy daredevil, get him up to 60 first before starting on another character. For leveling one character up to 60, you get either 25 or 30% hero synergy bonus xp. You can look up that bonus xp at the bottom of your hero stats, and see how it works exactly.

Right now I'm just chaining legendary quests. Is this pretty much the way to go until 60?

Also, when it comes to items, is it generally OK to use a cosmic with lesser damage ratings than an epic? The paperdoll dps is lower, but the spells sometimes with their added levels say they do more damage when comparing. Which should I trust?

Is there any reason to go through the story?

Legendary quests are indeed the best way to level up, though I often like to take a break from them and do other stuff.

And yes, using lower level cosmics/uniques is normal. The difference in damage rating needs to be rather high to make a significant difference.

Only reason to do story is get story rewards.

Hold on to your dupes. They will be adding recipes to cash in your extra uniques for something undecided (I'm guessing odin marks).

Top Bottom