• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

hamchan

Awww man, Falcon and Firestar being the same G price bums me out, since we know Falcon is 600 ES so that means Firestar is also 600. I could give up the bird man but I really did want Firestar, but ultimately I'd rather spend that ES getting Deadpool or Iron Man.

inky

I think most people would just buy a hero as well, considering they get the inventory benefits anyway. Some will maybe settle for one just to try them out, or to have one as a more interesting pet option. The high price might be to offset the smaller amount of people buying them, and to act as a bigger splinter sink for people with a full roster, so for them 600 splinters might not sound like much, but personally I don't believe they'll be worth that at all.

I have around 500 splintets now with 2 400 splinter heroes to go. Then there's Nova and any surprises like Beast, X23 or even the rumored Bucky/WS to consider, so if I have to choose, I'm gonna spend my splinters on heroes every single time.

Yeah, don't go over 1 blessing for a serpent and look/offer a blessing for both. Anyway, my name is Blankosaurus in game. I'm also in the gaf SG but yeah, hit me up.

I did suggested what you mentioned before, and asked for both the Ymir and Serpent runes for one Blessing and I got them. So thanks for that.
The guy was pretty apprehensive about dropping the runes on the ground and I can see why. lol. There was no way he could tell whether the artifact I dropped had a Blessing or not. He told me in the game chat that he was recording the trade. so I guess he would have posted it on Youtube or something and try to get me banned, if I was a scammer. The whole thing seemed so shady and Im sure many trades have ended in tears because of dishonest people. There should be a safer way to do this stuff. Luckily for him, I am honest.

On another topic, my concern with the team-ups is the effect they might have on my FPS and just the general amount of extra spam on screen (am I going to frequently see 5 identical Spidermans running around?). It sounds like every character will now have access to their own pet.

Lord Phol

The high splinter prices are probably because they want to get some income from them and not give everything away for free, but also because they were a bit more costly to make then they first had imagined. Probably took them quite some time to implement the whole team-up feature as well as each individual Team-up along with their powers etc. As I mentioned before voice acting is really expensive (enhanced costumes are basically two heroes in cost), and it's only the ones with new voice acting that gets the 600 price tag. They are also cheaper in Gs which indicates that they want people to buy them for money instead of splinters.

As Inky said most people will likely only get one or a few of them, that probably affects the pricing as well. Out of the launch ones I only really care about Magik, and I don't see myself getting more than a few of them in the future. Though I could see myself wasting splinters on a certain team-up instead of heroes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The high splinter prices are probably because they want to get some income from them and not give everything away for free, but also because they were a bit more costly to make then they first had imagined. Probably took them quite some time to implement the whole team-up feature as well as each individual Team-up along with their powers etc. As I mentioned before voice acting is really expensive (enhanced costumes are basically two heroes in cost), and it's only the ones with new voice acting that gets the 600 price tag. They are also cheaper in Gs which indicates that they want people to buy them for money instead of splinters.

I actually think 14.50€ for the 4-pack is decent enough, at least while the promotion is up

Lord Phol

I actually think 14.50€ for the 4-pack is decent enough, at least while the promotion is up

Yeah exactly, it's only the splinter cost that's really on the high-end. Which is why I'm guessing that they don't want people to get them all with only splinters playing casually.

inky

Well, well have to see how much of a difference voice acting makes and how adequate the powers feel with the pricing. I get that they want to make money, I have nothing against that, but so far their pricing of stuff -including hero packs- feels very inconsistent. I also feel that a 200 splinter Team Up at launch would establish a nice baseline of what to expect from that tier, just so we are clear what they are going for with each of them.

I'm just a bit salty I can't use my in-game G's. I mean, that's money too, and I bought the Gs pack during the weekend precisely because I knew Team-Ups were coming, and I was a bit short on splinters. No way I'm buying each of them separately. I have no problem giving them money, but looking for full store value while shafting their in-game store feels kinda shitty to me. And the whole splinters thing.., well, they set the model and the prices, and the equivalent value between full fledged heroes and team ups is not there. It also feels that they are kind of regretting it on that front as well. That's the crux of the F2P model This year I've given them $250 and I'm still counting beans to see if I can make myself with some team ups soon. It is never enough. I probably should just play more :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, well have to see how much of a difference voice acting makes and how adequate the powers feel with the pricing. I get that they want to make money, I have nothing against that, but so far their pricing of stuff -including hero packs- feels very inconsistent. I also feel that a 200 splinter Team Up at launch would establish a nice baseline of what to expect from that tier, just so we are clear what they are going for with each of them.

I'm just a bit salty I can't use my in-game G's. I mean, that's money too, and I bought the Gs pack during the weekend precisely because I knew Team-Ups were coming, and I was a bit short on splinters. No way I'm buying each of them separately. I have no problem giving them money, but looking for full store value while shafting their in-game store feels kinda shitty to me. And the whole splinters thing.., well, they set the model and the prices, and the equivalent value between full fledged heroes and team ups is not there. It also feels that they are kind of regretting it on that front as well. That's the crux of the F2P model This year I've given them $250 and I'm still counting beans to see if I can make myself with some team ups soon. It is never enough. I probably should just play more :p

more Gs for Shuri. Shuri for all!

edit: I hesitate to say this because it sounds like stupid flame war type shit, when it really isnt. I think Diablo 3 is in a really good place right now (certainly much improved from vanilla) and RoS seems like a solid expansion (I finished the campaign earlier today), what I`m about to say is only about a part of it that concerns Marvel. So with that warning out of the way...

While playing RoS campaign on Master (which is the second to last difficulty), while I really enjoyed it early on, about halfway through I grew imensely bored with it, near the end mobs had so much health it was like every mob in the game was Blob in Marvel, halfway I just couldnt be arsed with it anymore and actually bumped the difficulty DOWN just to finish the game. It wasnt hard per se, its not like I was dying a lot (although some affixes combinations, while not on the same level as vanilla Diablo, were still straight up bullshit), it was just...so fucking grindy and took so long.

So...is this what people want when they ask for a harder marvel?

inky

Well, not really. Ideally what they are asking for is battles that rely more on skill, smart use of your abilities, where enemies and bosses change states and behaviors come in stages instead of just larger health bars and enemies that hit harder. Where every encounter feels different and consequential and you get a sense of accomplishment for surviving it.

Obviously, if you are making an action game these things can be tuned against a smaller number of variables, but in a game like Diablo or Marvel Heroes, that scenario is harder to achieve. I think such a thing goes counter to the base ARPG design, where the goal is to build a character through skills and gear and ultimately the challenging content is a gear check, and you don't want to create a game where necessity makes everyone build their characters the same way. Diablo torment isn't hard per se, it is just a battle of attrition where both your time spent collecting and fine-tuning your gear is what determines not getting one-shotted AND being able to go through the massive enemy health bars before they get through yours.

Challenging content can be done, and interesting boss battles have been done in other games, like Dungeon Siege 3. But that didn't even have 5 classes, let alone 30 with several unique builds. Loki in MH can be extremely hard for some and extremely easy for others, but either way at some point your gear will be enough to plow through it regardless of character or build. That's how the genre works as opposed to something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC.

All the changes in this game have made the game easier, but that doesn't mean hard wasn't also unfair in many cases. What I think can be done is start by retuning bosses 1 by 1 and add more behaviors to them that switch things up and keep you on your toes. Think of Jugg's fight for example. It is extremely simple right now. They could make it so that he enrages for a bit and activates a state where he only charges until disabled. Where he takes more positional damage or the environment plays a bigger role. He doesn't need to one shot you every time he charges for it to be challenging. Maybe he pushes you around, punishing bad positioning or changing the state of the battle area, where columns now block your path and trap you.

Even then, making changes like that and making them fun and hard for all different types of play-styles and people is extremely hard; and more when they keep adding stuff like team ups that will add another variable to consider. It is no wonder why the games in the genre are the way they are, that is to say "hard" until enough gear makes them easy. One can at least hope for more variety and new modes that push what can be done (hoping raids get it right) but it is not a simple problem to solve.

Difficulty should simply be that I fear for my characters life. When the game launched, you had to be more careful with your characters as they would actually die. But they went and continually buffed characters, nerfed almost every boss encounter, nerfed many enemy abilities, kept adding in more slots for further player buffs, synergies, etc.

Now playing the game with most characters feels like a chore at times as your just grinding through killing to find loot, but you rarely are in danger of getting killed. They went with making it more about being awesome so your just causing explosions of dead enemies mobs.

I miss there being more of what felt like a game rather than just fan service flashy spectacle.

Lord Phol

I agree, the pricing is quite inconsistent which makes you feel like you might be paying more than you should at times.
Regarding ur problem Doomsaw posted this recently:
Yes - someday we wil be able to do presales in the G Shop, but currently it's impossible since the item is delivered immediately, which is impossible for stuff that isn't in the build. - Source

I remember them talking about this alot earlier, can't do pre-sales in-game because of the delivery system, but it seems they are leat looking into a possible solution now.

I'm also not a fan of health sponges in games and spammy gameplay, which is why I always enjoy the Diablo games more at the start than the end-game. I prefer it more Bushido Blade/Dark Souls like, where you can really feel the damage being done.
One thing they could change in marvel is the dying mechanic, it's way too forgiving now. Even bosses are cake-easy because they don't reset and there's no penalty, so you can just run back in and continue beating them every time you die, until they finally go down. I have to admit that i'ts nice for things like the Loki fight though, and I highly doubt they are gonna change it.

Rhaknar

do we know how team up summoning / activation works? does it have a dedicated button like ultimates and medkits? please tell me it doesnt take up a spot on the spellbar

They are making some room for it. This is from the TC:

thanks inky

inky

They are making some room for it. This is from the TC:

oB2RZ2l.png

Lord Phol

Hmm can't decide on the Shuri costume. On one hand it's looks great and the voice acting is good (though she screams alot), on the other hand I really like T'Challa and his voice is awesome in this game. Will most likely skip it for now.

Blank!

I did suggested what you mentioned before, and asked for both the Ymir and Serpent runes for one Blessing and I got them. So thanks for that.
The guy was pretty apprehensive about dropping the runes on the ground and I can see why. lol. There was no way he could tell whether the artifact I dropped had a Blessing or not. He told me in the game chat that he was recording the trade. so I guess he would have posted it on Youtube or something and try to get me banned, if I was a scammer. The whole thing seemed so shady and Im sure many trades have ended in tears because of dishonest people. There should be a safer way to do this stuff. Luckily for him, I am honest.

Glad it worked out for ya. And for next time, you can let him know that dropping an artifact on the ground with a blessing on gives off a yellow-ish color, not just the regular artifact color. Granted, he won't know WHAT blessing he's getting still.... Hopefully he added you to the "trusty traders" thread :)

Got my Ghost Rider to 45 last night.
The XP/SIF/RIF event is definitely noticeable. I was getting a load of Cosmic items in Xdef last night! When one of the chests opened, there must have been 50 items explode out of it haha.. Mostly crap of course, but 3 Cosmics in that one haul!

Continuing to find that Uniques are few and far between. Of the probably 2.5 hours in Xdef last night, I got one - and it was one for Squirrel Girl :(

Have a bad feeling I'm going to get to 60 before seeing any of GR's uniques!

inky

I don't know about Shuri yet, but I have to say that Hulkbuster grew on me a bit. I thought it looked meh at release, and the lack of Arc Reactor light on the front made it look cheap, but with a growth serum as visual and a melee spec on Iron Man I can totally see it work now. So much that I'll probably get it when dual specs are a thing, which I hope is sooner than later.

I have (almost) 800 splinters and nothing to spend them on (since I have UP/AP), so I'm probably going to get a team-up. Not sure if I should get Magik+Spidey or one of the two 600 splinter ones, though.

KePoW

Banned
Where'd you get that? lol.
I like Firestar, but I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of her. :p I was thinking of getting her, though.

Oh I thought you said that in the past sometime when talking about comix in general. Either this thread or the GAF comix thread. Thought you said you were a huge Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, and Firestar fan

inky

Hey Rhaknar, how are you doing on Unstables lately? I swear I've got at least 5 of them in the past couple of days:

BMf0Apq.png

inky

In the image above, this:

iOugID1.png

+ about 30% RIF on gear. Obviously the server bonus and the event helped a bit. This was from yesterday(?) or a couple of days ago for example:

And as you can see it was only 25% each.

KePoW

Banned
Unstable Molecules drop a lot specifically in Red Terminals. If you do those continually, you will get a bunch over time

hamchan

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/78574/more-cowbell-saturday

Doomsaw said:
Hi everyone,

President and Cow King, Mr. David Brevik, wants to get in some "Play with the Devs" time this weekend, so we're going to turn it into a full celebration called: More Cowbell Saturday!

For the entirety of Saturday, midnight to midnight, we'll be hosting a game-wide server side 100% boost to experience, 100% boost to rare item find and 100% boost to special item find.

As a hero appreciation gift from David, everyone who logs on Saturday will receive a Cosmic Cow King Crate that contains all of these things:

A Cosmic Penta-Boost Potion

A complimentary portal to Bovineheim

A complimentary portal to the Confidential Bovine Sector

A random level 60 Cosmic Medallion.

A new rare Artifact called "Brevik's Cowbell" which offers not only damage, but an inspiring new sound effect.

A new Runeword recipe called "Cow King's Gift" for your Enchanter

Details:

The increased 100% buffs will begin at midnight and end at midnight, Pacific time, Saturday March 29th.

David will be playing online and answering any questions from 1-4pm on Saturday. His account name is Xarex.

Play our game instead of that other popular ARPG ragh!!!

(I'll be playing both)

Rhaknar

I havent gotten a unstable in months. granted, the last few characters I leveled were mostly through XDEF and legendaries at 50+ so :/

that saturday thing sounds good, especially with panther and doc out this friday (right?)

GManDH

if only i didnt have a social life and could sit here and play all day Saturday. well i have to log in at least for a couple of hours.

I have 40 Unstable molecules in my stash now. Any new ones I find, I just throw on the ground, as I dont have room to store them.
Does anyone know how to make the game run in the smaller window mode (so I can see the desktop etc, while the game is running)?
It used to work via F9, but that doesnt seem to work anymore. Neither do any of the other "F" keys.

EDT: Someone told me in game chat, alt + enter will toggle the window mode :)

Oh I thought you said that in the past sometime when talking about comix in general. Either this thread or the GAF comix thread. Thought you said you were a huge Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, and Firestar fan

What, nooooo. I HATE Jubilee hahaha. You must've mixed me up with somebody else! I also don't post much in ComicGAF.

inky

Unstable Molecules drop a lot specifically in Red Terminals. If you do those continually, you will get a bunch over time

Ya, that's what I was telling Rhaknar the other day, because he seems to be in need of them. I have like 25 now, although I never use them to upgrade uniques.

Opened a few Fortune Cards:

1sACAYh.png

iLyr2IP.png

Much better than my Advanced Pack ones :p That's the 4th time now I get Deadpool's Costume , and third for Cap's. Still no Iron Man's or Wolverine's T.T

To the blender!
_________

Edit: Some QoL improvements; from the forums:

As of the next patch the following things will be true:

• Guild officers can type /motd to set their Supergroup "Message of the Day", which will be displayed for all supergroup members.
  • All members of a supergroup will have "Last Online" displayed next to their name.
  • You may link up to 2 items in chat. (Don't worry, if someone abuses this, they will be muted in game)
  • You can shift-right-click a person's name (when the chat window is active and your cursor is in the chat window) to invite a person to your group.

Nice! Message of the day could help to organize a few Supergroup events or something.

Rhaknar

after finishing RoS yesterday and Burial at Sea dlcs today, Im about ready for the patch to hit and play some more marvel, I miss it. Starting to get worried about no announcement that the patch is indeed tomorow tho :/

Gothos

Announcement for the new patch will probably be later in the evening.

Anyway, just sold my account with RoS (game is really too shallow for me to keep playing it) but I'm not having any urge to come back to MH, either. Checked out Strange on Test Center and I'm not sure I'll buy him. Shit, I think I need some real new content to get me back to MH - new heroes are not enough. Maybe I'm a bit burned out from the whole h'n's genre :)

Rhaknar

does anyone know if the Marvel Now costume for Rocket on sale always has the roketpack showing? in the store picture its the only one with the rocketpack showing, is that permanent? if so I might buy it, thats pretty cool

inky

It's not a jetpack, it's his guns and yes, they are always out.

Be careful tho. I own it, and if you are bothered by things like clipping you are going to hate this costume, because when you do use the jetpack they don't disappear:

6FXkxHR.png

=(

Rhaknar

It's not a jetpack, it's his guns and yes, they are always out.

Be careful tho. I own it, and if you are bothered by things like clipping you are going to hate this costume, because when you do use the jetpack they don't disappear:

6FXkxHR.png

=(

cool. well thats only for when youre flying tho, which doesnt really happen when youre fighting, which at 60, is most of the time

Lord Phol

Announcement for the new patch will probably be later in the evening.

Anyway, just sold my account with RoS (game is really too shallow for me to keep playing it) but I'm not having any urge to come back to MH, either. Checked out Strange on Test Center and I'm not sure I'll buy him. Shit, I think I need some real new content to get me back to MH - new heroes are not enough. Maybe I'm a bit burned out from the whole h'n's genre :)

Well there's always this:

Raids are one of the many new end-game elements that's coming to Marvel Heroes in 2014.

This is a brief preview of the Raid System currently deep in development for Marvel Heroes.

Raid Challenge

Raids will be the most challenging encounters in the game, requiring strategy (which raid members perform which roles, how to use encounter terrain and geography, when to use ultimates/signatures, what gear to use for which fights), tactics (moving when appropriate, grouping when appropriate, spreading out when appropriate, responding to environment dangers, target selection) and appropriate gearing (certain fights may require different gear choices and all fights will expect players to have extremely strong).

For the raid encounters currently designed, a strong emphasis is placed on teamwork, intelligence and communication. Raids will succeed or fail on those qualities. Damage meters will not exist.

Raid Design

The Gazillion raid design team includes top raiders from many MMOs, including raid leaders from top 10 raid guilds. Experience with previous MMO raids will help direct the raid design of Marvel Heroes raids to leverage the strengths of other games while removing some of the more tedious elements of past games. The result should be an extremely challenge, but rewarding mode of play.

Group Size

Raids are designed for 10-person groups. The tech to support raid groups is complete. Players will be able to right click the group interface and convert their 5-person group into a full raid group. At that point, they may only enter raid zones.

Queuing System

Raids will have an optional queue system, so players who are solo or don't have 10 players can easily fill their spots.

Difficulties

There will be two difficulties are raids, with appropriate rewards for each and separate achievements for each.

Defeats Limit

All major raid encounters have a limited number of defeats that are allowed, similar to the old group terminals. Once the defeats limit in reached, the encounter resets completely and must be restarted by the raid group. This obviously prevents the "zerging" style of encounter.

In internal testing, that number is currently set to 20 deaths, but may change with further testing and iteration.

Camera System

Due to the size of the final raid boss, the camera will be able to have significantly pulled back zoom levels during the final encounter.lled back zoom levels during the final encounter.

Time Investment

Each of the encounters in the initial raid will be able to be complete in under 15 minutes for a group that executes perfectly. Obviously every failed attempt would extend that time. There will be 5 encounters in the initial raid release.

Rewards

Raids are the toughest challenge introduced so far and will offer outstanding rewards in many existing item slots, as well as achievements, leaderboards and other benefits.

We realize that raids aren't for everyone, so to support the solo or small group player, there will be other alternate avenues of acquiring these items and will require the appropriate time investment you would expect.

Release Date

Raids are in internal development and testing now and will likely be available for live testing in 8 weeks or less.

Future Raids

Many future raids are in initial planning and design, to be released in the months and years to come.

Raid-sized PVP zones are also planned.

More Information

More information in the weeks to come, including some initial images at the upcoming comic convention in Chicago.

We'll be adding more details and previews of raids in the weeks to come.

Needless to say, we are pumped about raids and looking forward to introducing you to some galactic encounters from Marvel history for many years to come.

KePoW

Banned
after finishing RoS yesterday and Burial at Sea dlcs today, Im about ready for the patch to hit and play some more marvel, I miss it. Starting to get worried about no announcement that the patch is indeed tomorow tho :/

WTF, didn't you just finish the new Infamous too? How the hell you have time to play all these games????>?

Rhaknar

WTF, didn't you just finish the new Infamous too? How the hell you have time to play all these games????>?

no I didnt finish Infamous, im playing it (although I havent touched it in like 3 days), I only got the second power. Also, this week and the next im off work :)

I bought the marvel now rocket costume and I really like it, groot gets a matching costume which is a nice touch. the clipping on the jetpack doesnt bother me at all, you dont even really see it with the camera zoomed out anyway. Rocket was my only hero with the default costume left too, yay (im not counting Panther because im buying Shuri for sure)

Emma New X-Men costume (the one with the X shaped...vest if you can call it that seems to be bugged, I saw one in a xdef and it had the pheonix force cyclops with her from the unique (and thats supposed to go with the pheonix force costume). Also, I must be the only emma in the world without that unique (and emma is my only hero with uniques in all 5 slots too!). Makes me sad.

Good afternoon for uniques tho, got 1 on ironman and then 2 on gambit, no dupes. Playing a bit of rocket now who has no unique except the sentinal generic one (which, granted, is great for him with all the pets)

LuuKyK

Hi guys, I am back from my exile. :lol

This weekend with 100% bonus sounds awesome. Will certainly make use of that
(if possible, because there are huge chances I will be really drunk lol)

And you guys saw they added Invisible woman on the forum roster already? So cool! Her face looks weird as hell though. Cant wait for her anyway.

I am worried though, last time they added both new characters at once (Moon Knight and Strange) and now they just added Sue Storm. This makes me worried for Psylocke not being the next character. t-t Dont do this to me Gaz.

Rhaknar

Hi guys, I am back from my exile. :lol

This weekend with 100% bonus sounds awesome. Will certainly make use of that
(if possible, because there are huge chances I will be really drunk lol)

And you guys saw they added Invisible woman on the forum roster already? So cool! Her face looks weird as hell though. Cant wait for her anyway.

I am worried though, last time they added both new characters at once (Moon Knight and Strange) and now they just added Sue Storm. This makes me worried for Psylocke not being the next character. t-t Dont do this to me Gaz.

just noticed that. and its called the INVISIBLE WOMAN forum, not stupid sue storm. they better call her by her actual hero name in game too, not her real name

Rhaknar

I like Sue Storm, but she was always suppose to be named the invisble woman in-game.

dont get me wrong, I like the name, it was just weird they announced her as Sue Storm and everyone keeps refering to her as sue. Thats like announcing Ms.Marvel as Carol Denvers

KePoW

Banned
dont get me wrong, I like the name, it was just weird they announced her as Sue Storm and everyone keeps refering to her as sue. Thats like announcing Ms.Marvel as Carol Denvers

I think it depends on the specific character. I like Sue Storm a lot more than Invisible Woman, I think the latter sounds stupid.

For example most people say Kitty Pryde instead of Sprite.

Jean Grey, etc

Top Bottom