• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

inky

Well, I don't really care Surfer is till next year, but I think they did mention somewhere that he was planned for summer-ish, didn't they? I think they said that, and that Magneto, Venom, Juggs, were the "end of the year" heroes because in October-ish they would have a new storyline that introduced that concept to the game. Or maybe it was speculation based on the number of heroes, the fact that Blade/Rogue/Mr. F were the rumored tail-end of the pack and number of months left.

Whatever. People are going to whine and complain anyway, for example:

Magik: 100% : Less then 36 months but more than 12 for a playable release.

Fuck this shit.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would think its almost 100% that any team up will eventually become playable, since the model and some animations / fx / voice work are done already

also yes initially surer was summer, the villains were all the last guys. guess something changed in development, happens all the time.

Well, I don't really care Surfer is till next year, but I think they did mention somewhere that he was planned for summer-ish, didn't they?

Well originally they said they were shooting for around the GotG release to have the cosmics together, I think, but they're trying to get Surfer right.

It's safe to say that Surfer is last now because he will be part of a Galactus storyline in the winter (I'm just guessing here, but it seems highly probable). No doubt that's also when we'll get our second raid. It did seem weird that they originally planned to release SS before all of the F4 were playable.

So... what do you do after beating the story? Are there anymore missions you can unlock? I don't see any when walking through the hubs... Also, do monsters get harder somewhere? The last level of story wasn't even that hard and I'm only at level 25. Am I missing something?

Vecks

So... what do you do after beating the story? Are there anymore missions you can unlock? I don't see any when walking through the hubs... Also, do monsters get harder somewhere? The last level of story wasn't even that hard and I'm only at level 25. Am I missing something?

At that point you pretty much do whatever you want. If you want to do Heroic mode (which is just a higher level version of the story), go to your roster, and it lets you select the next mode (it unlocks after you beat normal mode, or reach a certain level). Or you can do legendary quests to level up and get odin marks (it'll be listed at the top of your quest list). Or run daily terminals for cube shards which you can redeem for things at the cube shard vendor. Or you can farm around in Midtown. Or play x-def/holo-sim.

It's pretty much just look for loot, upgrade your gear, and level up to 60.

Then at level 60, cosmic terminals unlock, which are more for challenge.

Nobody really does pvp, especially at lower levels. But you can try that if you're interested.

At that point you pretty much do whatever you want. If you want to do Heroic mode (which is just a higher level version of the story), go to your roster, and it lets you select the next mode (it unlocks after you beat normal mode, or reach a certain level). Or you can do legendary quests to level up and get odin marks (it'll be listed at the top of your quest list). Or run daily terminals for cube shards which you can redeem for things at the cube shard vendor. Or you can farm around in Midtown. Or play x-def/holo-sim.

It's pretty much just look for loot, upgrade your gear, and level up to 60.

Then at level 60, cosmic terminals unlock, which are more for challenge.

Nobody really does pvp, especially at lower levels. But you can try that if you're interested.

Is there another section of midtown people use or do I just go to that next mode? Midtown was super weak guys which is why I was confused, I know most people play there a lot according to this thread.

KePoW

Banned

X-Defense
Holo-Sim
Cosmic Terminals

Legendary Quests to level to 60

Or do the Story at Heroic & SuperHeroic

hamchan

You should have unlocked legendary quests at lvl 20. You do those to level up quickly and get Odin Marks, which you trade in to get Legendary items. You can press T to bring up your hero roster and put the difficulty higher if you want to go through story again. Other than that you can X-Defense, Terminals with multiple difficulties, or go Midtown to level up or max your heroes gear.

In general though this game is not very hard. It's the most casual of the ARPGs on the market right now. It seems like the main goal of the game is to just jump in enjoy yourself as your overpowered hero makes all the enemies explode with loot.

If you want hardcore you have to play Path of Exile. If you want something in between I guess Diablo 3 will do (though that's more on the casual side too). Marvel Heroes is the one if you just want to chill with no stress for a few hours.

Though this game does have the best support out of all of those games.

Vecks

Is there another section of midtown people use or do I just go to that next mode? Midtown was super weak guys which is why I was confused, I know most people play there a lot according to this thread.

Midtown is in the challenges section of the waypoint menu. It has level brackets and put you in an instance of appropriate level. It's not really meant to be challenging. Just good for farming because there are lots of enemies and bosses spawn every 3 minutes, and many legendary quests will require you to kill stuff there.

Midtown is in the challenges section of the waypoint menu. It has level brackets and put you in an instance of appropriate level. It's not really meant to be challenging. Just good for farming because there are lots of enemies and bosses spawn every 3 minutes, and many legendary quests will require you to kill stuff there.

You should have unlocked legendary quests at lvl 20. You do those to level up quickly and get Odin Marks, which you trade in to get Legendary items. You can press T to bring up your hero roster and put the difficulty higher if you want to go through story again. Other than that you can X-Defense, Terminals with multiple difficulties, or go Midtown to level up or max your heroes gear.

In general though this game is not very hard. It's the most casual of the ARPGs on the market right now. It seems like the main goal of the game is to just jump in enjoy yourself as your overpowered hero makes all the enemies explode with loot.

If you want hardcore you have to play Path of Exile. If you want something in between I guess Diablo 3 will do (though that's more on the casual side too). Marvel Heroes is the one if you just want to chill with no stress for a few hours.

Though this game does have the best support out of all of those games.

X-Defense
Holo-Sim
Cosmic Terminals

Legendary Quests to level to 60

Or do the Story at Heroic & SuperHeroic
Thanks guys. I didn't know about the other stuff so I was kind of lost. I figured it would have a question mark or something similar to the quests. I'm replaying through the story on a higher difficulty and it's a lot of fun again. I just wanted level appropriate enemies mostly. Thanks!

Edit: Ah, I see the Midtown Patrol everyone talks about now.

One last question, has anyone else been having trouble with Bodysliding lately? I'll bodyslide to town to sell shit but then I won't have the option to bodyslide back... It's only been doing it lately so I'm confused.

Edit: Awkward, boss for the prologue (I think it's Venom?) won't show up so now I can't be the prologue... I guess it's still acting up from last night.

Jag

If you want something in between I guess Diablo 3 will do (though that's more on the casual side too). Marvel Heroes is the one if you just want to chill with no stress for a few hours

I just started as well and I'm now at level 25 in my second play session. It just hit me that this does feel alot like Diablo. Lots of button mashing and looting.

I started with Hawkeye thinking I could easily try a second hero which seems to be harder than I thought. I'm at 170 splinters and I'd like to try Cap but don't have the patience to farm another 200.

I got Strange to 20 yesterday, but since I was really sick (still am not feeling too great!), I just stopped playing. Picked back up today, dumped all my XP boons, including the cosmic boost from the cow crate, on him and started grinding away. Got him to level 60 now! :)

Probably my favorite character in the game so far. I'm really happy he turned out so well.

Vecks

I just started as well and I'm now at level 25 in my second play session. It just hit me that this does feel alot like Diablo. Lots of button mashing and looting.

I started with Hawkeye thinking I could easily try a second hero which seems to be harder than I thought. I'm at 170 splinters and I'd like to try Cap but don't have the patience to farm another 200.

170? Did you beat doom yet?
Not sure if the quest guide is still valid, but according to the quest guide at the forums:

Prologue -- The Raft

100 Eternity Splinters (FIRST TIME THROUGH STORY - This is occurs only once per account Speak with Jocosta -> kill green goblin -> talk to Maria Hill

Chapter 8

100 Eternity Splinters (FIRST TIME THROUGH STORY - This is occurs once per account) Speak with Fury -> Go to Latvaria -> Destroy Mystic Nodes -> Enter Castle Doom -> Defeat minibosses and Doom

I think both only apply if you picked a 200 splinter hero to begin with, and since you started with hawkeye, it should work. For some reason, I can't find any solid info on these quests. Lots of confusing, conflicting info so... I don't know. YMMV.

Also, don't forget to use the MHMGIFT code to redeem a free, random 200 splinter hero token (since you have hawkeye it could be a dupe so cross your fingers).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there an established point of diminishing returns on relics? just noticed my 200 gibborin (which I use on every leveling hero) only give 113 spirit

Also, don't forget to use the MHMGIFT code to redeem a free, random 200 splinter hero token (since you have hawkeye it could be a dupe so cross your fingers).

Thanks for the reminder. Got Thing which is okay because he was the only 200 splinter hero I didn't have.

Rhaknar

Thanks for the reminder. Got Thing which is okay because he was the only 200 splinter hero I didn't have.

if he was the only one you didnt have thats not ok, thats very lucky :p

Also, Ironman makes 20 ^_^

I'm thinking about buying either Cyclops (for the 10% XP increase/synchronicity) or Ms. Marvel. I'd love to hear some impressions on both characters to help me decide. Out of curiosity, are the Hero packs/bundles available from the Marvel Heroes web store a good investment? I noticed it's only an extra $5.00 ($14.99 versus $9.99 in-game) for two extra costumes and a hero stash tab. I know if I buy a hero from the web store, I won't receive a random hero box.

On another note, I had some Gs saved up and bought Black Panther's Enhanced "Shuri" costume. So good. The new voice overs and animations are superb. I've only levelled Black Panther to Lvl 10, but with the "Lvl 52" update and this new costume, it's going to be a fun road to Lvl. 60.

Rhaknar

I'm thinking about buying either Cyclops (for the 10% XP increase/synchronicity) or Ms. Marvel. I'd love to hear some impressions on both characters to help me decide. Out of curiosity, are the Hero packs/bundles available from the Marvel Heroes web store a good investment? I noticed it's only an extra $5.00 ($14.99 versus $9.99 in-game) for two extra costumes and a hero stash tab. I know if I buy a hero from the web store, I won't receive a random hero box.

On another note, I had some Gs saved up and bought Black Panther's Enhanced "Shuri" costume. So good. The new voice overs and animations are superb. I've only levelled Black Panther to Lvl 10, but with the "Lvl 52" update and this new costume, it's going to be a fun road to Lvl. 60.

the packs are usually a good investment, except in cases like the buy 1 get 1 sale that is going right now. but for example, the daredebil bundle comes with a costume that costs more than the bundle itself (lol)

as for Ms.Marvel, she is one of my favorite heroes in the game (easily top 5), just a ton of fun to play, and built like a truck.

cyclops, on the other hand, is squishy as shit, he is the definition of a glass canon, which annoys me. Great looking spells tho. I would get Ms.Marvel now and wait until Cyke gets his 52 review

the packs are usually a good investment, except in cases like the buy 1 get 1 sale that is going right now. but for example, the daredebil bundle comes with a costume that costs more than the bundle itself (lol)

as for Ms.Marvel, she is one of my favorite heroes in the game (easily top 5), just a ton of fun to play, and built like a truck.

cyclops, on the other hand, is squishy as shit, he is the definition of a glass canon, which annoys me. Great looking spells tho

Thanks for the impressions. I'm definitely leaning more towards Ms. Marvel. She is also one of my favourite Marvel heroes, so it makes the choice easier. Cyclops only came into the fray because I'd read many posts suggesting his 10% XP bonus was a worthy investment. I guess I just have to decide if I'd want the two additional costumes and stash tab, or potentially another free hero.

Blank!

Bodyslide has a 10-minute cooldown timer on it.

Which can be reset by simply logging out/logging in again. Such a stupid timer.

is there an established point of diminishing returns on relics? just noticed my 200 gibborin (which I use on every leveling hero) only give 113 spirit

(initial value * sqrt (qty))

Gibborin max's out at 252 spirit.

I believe the only relic to NOT follow this trend is Chandilar which is a straight 2000 HP at max stack.

I use a single stacking method for all my characters despite the horrible diminishing returns (especially on Xander...) with the exception of Lemuria. A stack of 50 gives +50 health on hit. Stack of 100 is +70. Stack of 225 is +105. Stack of 1000 is +222. I give most everyone at least a 50 stack.

Jag

170? Did you beat doom yet?
Not sure if the quest guide is still valid, but according to the quest guide at the forums:

I think both only apply if you picked a 200 splinter hero to begin with, and since you started with hawkeye, it should work. For some reason, I can't find any solid info on these quests. Lots of confusing, conflicting info so... I don't know. YMMV.

I didn't beat Doom. I overleveled the quests due to the bonus weekend. I did get the 100 from Goblin but didn't know you could get another from Doom. So thanks and I'll go do that.

I used the code and got....Hawkguy again! He's actually not so bad, but I've always been a Cap fan and want to try him out.

I use Binary for Ms. Marvel. :)
Also, one of my favorite characters in the game. Probably tops the list after my "top tier of fun" (Strange, Nightcrawler, Daredevil, Hawkeye, and Loki). Cap might endanger her, but I have gotten him only to 5 so far, so eh. :p

I used the code and got....Hawkguy again! He's actually not so bad, but I've always been a Cap fan and want to try him out.

Captain America is not on the list of possible heroes you could've gotten from that code. Only Hawkeye, Black Widow, Thing, Scarlet Witch, Storm and Daredevil. :)

Rhaknar

RNG is a fickle bitch. for the first time I got fully decked with ROF buffs (5X 1 hour, the 2hr one, the 25% one, etc) on Ironman (I only have 1 unique on him and its lvl 40) when midtown bosses reaper buff started and got...fuck all from 6 wave of bosses :p

best I got was 2 unstable molecules, which is nice I guess. oh well, time for football anyway.

LuuKyK

It shouldn't... I mean bodysliding from town back to where you were. I know it has a cooldown to bodyslide back to town. I'm just talking about the return trip to start fighting again.

Yeah, I agree.

They should have a portal item like that diablo clone game (forgot the name) on steam, with which you can come back to where you oppened it.

Vecks

(initial value * sqrt (qty))

Gibborin max's out at 252 spirit.

I believe the only relic to NOT follow this trend is Chandilar which is a straight 2000 HP at max stack.

I use a single stacking method for all my characters despite the horrible diminishing returns (especially on Xander...) with the exception of Lemuria. A stack of 50 gives +50 health on hit. Stack of 100 is +70. Stack of 225 is +105. Stack of 1000 is +222. I give most everyone at least a 50 stack.

I don't really worry about the diminishing returns. I try to stick with one stack per hero as well. Lemuria is nice to have on squishy heroes though, as even just a small stack will help a lot. Other than that, just aiming for a 1k (or 2k in chandilar case) hp boost seems fine to me.

It shouldn't... I mean bodysliding from town back to where you were. I know it has a cooldown to bodyslide back to town. I'm just talking about the return trip to start fighting again.

Where are you sliding back to? If you do not meet the requirements of the old instance, whether that's level restrictions or if the instance was extinguished when you left it, you may not be allowed to re-enter.

I ran four Cosmic terminals tonight. This was the first time Ive ever done any Cosmics.
The best thing I found was an Ice rune. I was hoping for some nice Cosmic rings or even a costume. Yeah, not bloody likely. lol.
If the buy one, get one free costume offer ever returns to the store, Im pretty keen to buy Daredevil noir (I love the mask and dont think Ive seen it even once in game yet), Stormtrooper-Gambit or blonde Captain America.

Blank!

I ran four Cosmic terminals tonight. This was the first time Ive ever done any Cosmics.
The best thing I found was an Ice rune. I was hoping for some nice Cosmic rings or even a costume. Yeah, not bloody likely. lol.
If the buy one, get one free costume offer ever returns to the store, Im pretty keen to buy Daredevil noir (I love the mask and dont think Ive seen it even once in game yet), Stormtrooper-Gambit or blonde Captain America.

Cosmic rings have an incredibly low drop chance and I've been playing since beta and I've had 3 costume drops total (1 before the 'nerf', and 2 miracle drops when x-defense droprate was crazy).

Where are you sliding back to? If you do not meet the requirements of the old instance, whether that's level restrictions or if the instance was extinguished when you left it, you may not be allowed to re-enter.

Just whatever level I was on. I've only ever played story mode so whatever part of the level I was in at the time. I just body slide to town when my inventory is full so I can donate stuff I don't want to the vendors to level them. I've never had a problem except the last few days so I thought maybe it was something with the servers since I also had the lag and stuck loading that others did.

What a weekend!

Hooked up the new PC to the 42" TV on Friday afternoon, jacked settings and dayummmm this game looks great. The missus ended up creating an account on the old PC so we ended up playing in a Party most of the weekend.

Seeing as the BOGO was on, I decided to buy Iron Man (after much procrastination) and got Hulk as my freebie! Win. Missus bought Wolverine on her account (her fav Marvel character) and got Thor as the freebie, so we both got pretty lucky with the bonuses.

That Cow Bell is pretty awesome. We both used the Penta boost thing too, so we were killing it through levels. My Iron Man is 42 already and the missus' Wolvey is 40.

Still can't believe that I'm not getting decent drops anywhere. All weekend, probably 14 hours played and I got an Any Hero Unique. That's it. Swimming in Blues and Greens though.

Played a little more of my Ghost Rider last night. Used up the last of the Penta boost. He's 58 - almost 59, so I'll have him to 60 tonight. Gotta say, Ghost Rider is probably my favourite character played so far. That Ultimate!!! Wow. And his mix of AoE, melee and ranged chain powers are insanely good. He just tears through everything. I really want to keep playing him. Definitely think I'll consider him as my first Prestige toon, or maybe I'll wait for the "paragon" thing.

Rolled my first Pet off a Fortune Mark Mark 1 with Iron Man. The Raptor.

Loving the extra inventory space too.

All-in-all, a great update this weekend. So addictive. Definitely didn't think when I started playing this game that I'd have over 170 hours in it and ~$50 spent.

Wow, only missing 4 characters, so I rolled the dice and bought one of them (Cap). Managed to get one of the remaining 3 in the random box (Torch).

Crazy luck.

My random box this weekend was Daredevil. Sucks I only just got him, but at least it's an upgrade for his Ultimate when I get around to playing him.

Whatever. People are going to whine and complain anyway, for example:

Fuck this shit.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Seriously! Still no mention of Darkhawk?

FUCK THIS SHIT!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Haha dude, don't expect those two things very often.

I know. But its nice to dream :)

Cosmic rings have an incredibly low drop chance and I've been playing since beta and I've had 3 costume drops total (1 before the 'nerf', and 2 miracle drops when x-defense droprate was crazy).

Didnt think the rings would be that rare. Considering the Cosmic terminals is the only place you can potentially get them. Oh well.
Ive had 5 costumes drop. 4 of them were before Midtown was introduced. Its certainly not easy to find them nowadays.

Top Bottom