• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Have you actually tried this out yourself, or it sounds like this is something you just read about or someone told you to do?

Because I agree with Rhaknar on this... Shrinking Serum on Storm is a waste (factoring in how extreme rarity of the item).

Now if you've got some source where you're being given several of them, then go ahead and use it on whoever. But I've only found two over 1000+ hours of play, so I would never use it on a ranged character just based on theorycrafting.

It's theorycrafting at the moment. I don't have the Pym to test it out. I've been running a relatively common Storm build with a few tweaks (max FT and QB). With the 2k dodge rating, that would put me around 35% dodge chance. So 1/3 ticks of any DoT would return around 50-60 spirit. BL costs 25 spirit at rank 20, so even with +skills in it, I would still get ~2 BL for every trigger of Pym.

Maybe I'm giving too much credit to the concept, but it seems legit?

KePoW

Banned
It's theorycrafting at the moment. I don't have the Pym to test it out. I've been running a relatively common Storm build with a few tweaks (max FT and QB). With the 2k dodge rating, that would put me around 35% dodge chance. So 1/3 ticks of any DoT would return around 50-60 spirit. BL costs 25 spirit at rank 20, so even with +skills in it, I would still get ~2 BL for every trigger of Pym.

Maybe I'm giving too much credit to the concept, but it seems legit?

Ok got it. Here's my follow-up thoughts --

It's not that the theorycrafting is necessarily wrong. There's just other factors to consider... main thing being the ridiculous rarity of the item. Like we mentioned, if it's an item that you can easily get 10 or 20 of, it's not a big deal to use them on different characters & builds.

But unless you have other players give them to you, it's very possible that someone only finds one or two Shrinking Serums during their entire time of playing the game. (or none)

So you don't want to waste them. And for Storm, you're not getting hit or standing in AOE all the time. Especially with team-up characters now, ranged heroes get hit even less.

That's why most people use Shrinkings on melee characters, because you're getting more constant use out of it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
also, and this is from a completely personal point of view, but coming from someone that always plays healers in mmos, that tactic just reminds me of all the fucking nublets that stand in fire and die, and then ask why they werent healed (im not saying you do this by the way)

Like I said, you are basicaly trying to game the system because the game is so easy. that build wont work on cosmic terminals, and I hope it doesnt work in raids either. its nothing personal, I just feel that "fire is bad" exists for a reason, otherwise just stand still and press 1 button

Vecks

So you don't want to waste them. And for Storm, you're not getting hit or standing in AOE all the time. Especially with team-up characters now, ranged heroes get hit even less.

That's why most people use Shrinkings on melee characters, because you're getting more constant use out of it.

Well, it's not really a waste. He can use it for storm first, and if there's another hero he finds would use it better, he can always unbind it and give it to someone else. Artifacts are still really cheap/easy to unbind with the magneto/complex genome.

KePoW

Banned
Well, it's not really a waste. He can use it for storm first, and if there's another hero he finds would use it better, he can always unbind it and give it to someone else. Artifacts are still really cheap/easy to unbind with the magneto/complex genome.

What's the exact recipe to unbind Artifacts now? Have not done it in a while.

Xevren

I really wouldn't call a Pym Shrinking on a ranged hero a waste, quite a few are capable of getting really high dodge numbers and the extra spirit burst can really help. I personally haven't done it, especially with river of the soul runeword you may not even need it but it just varies.

I have both river of the soul+pym shrinking on Psylocke and it's the best thing ever.

Blank!

I really wouldn't call a Pym Shrinking on a ranged hero a waste, quite a few are capable of getting really high dodge numbers and the extra spirit burst can really help. I personally haven't done it, especially with river of the soul runeword you may not even need it but it just varies.

I have both river of the soul+pym shrinking on Psylocke and it's the best thing ever.

Pym Shrinking can really fit onto any character, so long as they actually need the spirit. It's not like ranged characters DON'T get attacked.

You can actually get quite a bit of mitigation on the non-dodge based heroes with 4 Fandral blessings, spiderman synergy, and some basic dodge gear/pym shrink. You don't run into diminishing returns at all and top off at like 20-25% dodge chance which can be good survivability for some of the glassier cannons.

I run with one on hawkeye currently. Cyclops doesn't need one. My Loki may end up with one (so far, he doesn't seem all that spirit intensive for whatever reason even with minimal investment in -power cost, it may be the scroll of puma though). My spiderman has one, even though he's melee now when I was running ranged I kept it on him.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I'm now at 16.7% success rate with random splinter boxes, even though my actual odds are about 60%. 3 Spidermans in 6 boxes. lol.

I'm not gonna say "i aint even man" because of course I'm fucking mad, bad luck at anything always sucks, but i's also kind of funny, I intend to keep getting random boxes just to see how large a difference I can get between expected value and received value. Once I have exactly half the heroes I bet I can my random box success rate to under 10%.

KePoW

Banned
So I'm now at 16.7% success rate with random splinter boxes, even though my actual odds are about 60%. 3 Spidermans in 6 boxes. lol.

I'm not gonna say "i aint even man" because of course I'm fucking mad, bad luck at anything always sucks, but i's also kind of funny, I intend to keep getting random boxes just to see how large a difference I can get between expected value and received value. Once I have exactly half the heroes I bet I can my random box success rate to under 10%.

Haha wtf... I would have stopped after the first dupe.

Did my first costume blend on the weekend and got Iron Man's Mk VI.

Seeing as I already bought Hulkbuster and only use that, I guess I'm saving this one for a future blend.

KePoW

Banned
Did my first costume blend on the weekend and got Iron Man's Mk VI.

Seeing as I already bought Hulkbuster and only use that, I guess I'm saving this one for a future blend.

Nothing beats the Hulkbuster. Especially with a couple growth artifacts on top of it.

So a bunch of costumes just got a price drop. Mainly older costumes, particularly those that were 1250G for no real reason (that weren't in any way enhanced).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So a bunch of costumes just got a price drop. Mainly older costumes, particularly those that were 1250G for no real reason (that weren't in any way enhanced).

I think the only costumes I need/want (besides enhanced ones) are new releases so I guess no price drops for me

Fear itself Widow, Marvel Now MK and fear itself Strange are the ones I need btw

Vecks

Just checked out the store. Can't remember all the previous prices, but I feel like a significant amount of costumes have been discounted, if memory serves correctly.
Really, really can't wait for the sale. Been trying to sell as many steam trading cards as I can to stock up on funds.

Also, there's currently a sale with enhanced costumes (1450g) until the end of june.

I think the only costumes I need/want (besides enhanced ones) are new releases so I guess no price drops for me

Fear itself Widow, Marvel Now MK and fear itself Strange are the ones I need btw

I don't remember the previous prices of those costumes, but I know Fear itself widow got a price drop too. It used to be 1250, now it's 950.

Hulkbuster is the only costume I've bought.

They're definitely insane money. At this point, I much rather spend that 1250G on a couple of characters, rather than a single costume.

Agree that the costume prices are insane.

Rhaknar

I was just going to bitch about widow fear being 1250 when strange fear is 950, glad they dropped it. Is this permanent or a sale?

Kikarian

How many of you have bought characters?

I'm debating on whether to buy Moon Knight, as he's one of my favorite heroes. However, how hard/long is it to get the currency to buy them without having to pay?

Rhaknar

I'm debating on whether to buy Moon Knight, as he's one of my favorite heroes. However, how hard/long is it to get the currency to buy them without having to pay?

Bought with money you mean?

Well... a lot of us have every hero or close enough, you can bet your ass it wasn't all with splinters :p

Moon Knight is 400splinters, which doesn't take long. In fact if you're starting you get like 200 from doing the story mode the first time

I was just going to bitch about widow fear being 1250 when strange fear is 950, glad they dropped it. Is this permanent or a sale?

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/96610/price-change-announcement

In preparation of our One Year Anniversary celebration starting next week, we've lowered the prices on a selection of costumes!

This isn't a sale; these lower prices are permanent. You can see the new prices right now by logging into the game and checking the costumes tab in our store.

As an additional promotion, we've temporarily lowered the prices of the Enhanced costumes (which as many of you know, come with new voice actors and often new animations and VFX) to 1450G until the end of June.

LuuKyK

Only payed for Psylocke because I wanted her second costume.

It doesn't take that long to gather Splinters though. When you finish the story for the first time you end up with 200 of those and with these daily login gifts you can easily get to 250. To get to 400 (MK is 400 right?) wouldn't really take that long. I don't know how much you play so it really depends. If you really just want MK and don't want to bother with any other character to get him, I would say pay for it.

Vecks

Never bought a hero with money. Usually just buy costumes. Well, I did buy a hero pack, but that was for a hero I already owned and really liked, and just wanted the costumes/hero stash.

I've unlocked around 23 heroes by splinters, mostly random box.

Disregarding freebie splinters, I imagine it'd take 30ish hours to unlock a normal priced hero. Cheaper ones would take half that time.

I'd wait a week though before actually buying him if you're considering it. Next week they are gonna be giving gifts to celebrate the anniversary, and they might give out free heroes (they do that from time to time), and also there will probably be a sale of some sort.

inky

Good. Now they just need to do the same with chase costumes and leave them permanently in the store. 1350 for the ones that are just shitty recolors is dumb.

Starting late, I have bought quite a few now. Both times the BOGO sales have been on since I got back into MH, I've spent money on characters.

Missus put $50 credit onto my account for me on my B'Day too, which was just before the last BOGO, so I bought a bunch of characters to make the most of the sale.

I think I'm missing just 8 characters now (including the latest additions of IW and Psy).

I've rolled a bunch of random boxes, but I've been pretty unlucky, with 4 duplicates (and 3 riiiiight at the start), so I've stopped that now and I'm saving exclusively for specific toons. Sitting on ~350 Splinters at the moment and will buy Psylocke as my first pure value Splinter character.

I'd say it's going to take like 40-45 hours total for me to get 400 Splinters though.

EDIT: If there's another BOGO for the anniversary, I'll probably bite again to try and get my last ones.

Rhaknar

I would wait on buying anything right now since the anniversary is right around the corner (next week) I'm sure there will be some sort of sale or even freebies

Aww yeah, blended the 90's Cyclops costume. Always wanted it but couldn't bring myself to pay the 1250G for it (which is funny as it was one of the costumes that got the price change today). All set for his review now.

KePoW

Banned
Aww yeah, blended the 90's Cyclops costume. Always wanted it but couldn't bring myself to pay the 1250G for it (which is funny as it was one of the costumes that got the price change today). All set for his review now.

Is that the bright yellow one?? That's like the worst fucking costume haha

Rhaknar

Didn't you just blend thunderbolts widow also?

It's the blue with yellow strap and hair showing. The Jim lee design from the 90s

Edit: dat tease https://marvelheroes.com/reveal

Rhaknar

[/B]

Is this the launch of the Omega system/anniversary week? Those hexagons look awfully familiar, but '2015'? What's that all about?

Yes (probably) to both since the anniversary is in 7 days (June 4th) and they have said the omega system is coming with the anniversary (maybe not on the exact day but surely during the festivities which should last at least 1 week as usual for events)

inky

4MaNErj.gif

Yes (probably) to both since the anniversary is in 7 days (June 4th) and they have said the omega system is coming with the anniversary (maybe not on the exact day but surely during the festivities which should last at least 1 week as usual for events)

Thought as much. I'm deeply curious about what could be coming in 2015 though. It feels too early to announce an advance character pack.

Rhaknar

That gif reminded me how weird it is that they haven't made that Wolverine costume yet. Granted you could argue it's too similar to the default, but they have made similar costumes before and that one is iconic

I've bought quite a few at this point.

When the game first came out I picked up Cable and Jean Grey at full price.
Ended up getting burnt out pretty soon after that and still have not played them to 60.

I got lucky during that time to get a Hero Token Black Widow drop as well though.

Later, I came back to play Gambit so I bought him straight out. I picked up Nightcrawler and Spider-man with splinters. I also randomed once to get Punisher.

Next I picked up the pack they were doing which included Emma, Cyclops, Jean Greay, and Wolvie (I think this was Valentines day?)
I already had Jean Grey obviously so that part was a waste but I wanted all three other characters and had just gotten Days of Future Past Wolvie from Fortune Cards.

I bought Dr. Strange in the in-game store and also picked up Invisible Woman with splinters. I also got Tasky with splinters recently.

Recently I picked up a pre-sale pack for the first time because I <3 me some Psychic Ninja action.

I have also picked up both Magik and Firestorm with splinters.

I'm pretty sure that covers all of my cash and splinter purchases...

marvelsigrjsc1.png

Rhaknar

I don't think I'll ever buy a character. Rather spend the money on stash, costumes and just farm the heroes.

I feel BOGO events are a great deal. It's an amazing deal if you just started the game and happened to run into a BOGO

Finaika

That gif reminded me how weird it is that they haven't made that Wolverine costume yet. Granted you could argue it's too similar to the default, but they have made similar costumes before and that one is iconic

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Also I would love a Crimson Dawn Psylocke costume with the belt and not the sash. Too many female heroines wear sashes in this game XD

Psylocke3.jpg

Dec

I feel BOGO events are a great deal. It's an amazing deal if you just started the game and happened to run into a BOGO

Still no from me I think. Have 4 characters I need to level, and will get tons of splinters from leveling them. Rather make leveling them more enjoyable by quelling storage issues than have an over-saturation thing going on in my roster. Filling it with heroes I may or may not ever get to before I stop playing the game.

Top Bottom