• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Beernf

I put this in the other thread but this is probably a better place for it.

Just logged back into the game for the first time in many months. I have 3800g to spend somehow and don't know what to spend it on. Everything is so new I have no idea if I should get some characters or some items or bundles or what. I have a Wolverine at like 25 and a few other characters in the single digits (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Thing, Colossus).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Just logged back into the game for the first time in many months. I have 3800g to spend somehow and don't know what to spend it on. Everything is so new I have no idea if I should get some characters or some items or bundles or what. I have a Wolverine at like 25 and a few other characters in the single digits (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Thing, Colossus).

At this point I'd hold on to them G's unless you want to buy more Stash space. They do a Buy one, get one deal every ~2 months and 1 just happened, since you have a bunch of characters, might as well wait. Exception: If you like any of the chase costumes a whole lot, get it now, because they only go one sale every few months and are never part of BOGO deals.

Beernf

At this point I'd hold on to them G's unless you want to buy more Stash space. They do a Buy one, get one deal every ~2 months and 1 just happened, since you have a bunch of characters, might as well wait. Exception: If you like any of the chase costumes a whole lot, get it now, because they only go one sale every few months and are never part of BOGO deals.

Cool. So the characters I have are at least relatively decent? I think I must have bought some kind of X-Men pack back at launch.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. So the characters I have are at least relatively decent? I think I must have bought some kind of X-Men pack back at launch.

Wolverine just got reworked and is one of the better heroes in game atm imo. Jean Grey as Phoenix is fun and powerful, Cyclops is kinda boring but not bad, Colossus is good, Thing apparently got better just now.. yeah, decent picks. Unless you're really burning to play a particular hero you don't own RIGHT NOW, I'd wait. And once you get 175 splinters you can buy random hero boxes.

Vecks

Thing is actually rather beast after the changes they made last patch. He's got really good spirit spenders and a rather solid kit/uniques.

Haven't actually played him in a while, after I got him to 60. Waiting for review. But I may give him another go...

Make sure to reach lv30 to get a free stash (and 50 eternity splinters) before the quest expires.

All I can say for certain is... don't bother with the "items" in the store.
More stash is always good. I'd say buy at least 1 crafting stash to hold your runes and unstable molecules, and one hero stash (or get a hero bundle that comes with a hero stash). Hero stashes are cheaper, and besides holding the hero-specific/bound stuff, can hold unbound any-hero uniques (you'll get a lot of these over time) and rings.

If you want to stock up on characters, Noray's suggestion of waiting is good. Try playing your heroes first and see how you like them. Wolverine got updated so he's somewhat different from before. Colossus is also very different from what he used to be and, IMO, is rather awesome. You can buy heroes with the new splinters currency in-game, so if you can enjoy the game with what you've got, you'll be able to slowly build up your roster before the next sale.

Also, hang around this thread or the official forums, because they have been doing hero box giveaways for the past few days.

Beernf

Awesome ok. Thanks for all the good infoz. I'll keep going with Wolvie and see how the game has changed and maybe give one of the others a spin at some point. I'd like to join up with the GAF clan too. I'll check OT for how to do that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i'm gonna be on in a bit, who should i ask about joining the sg?

also, do the 175 random hero boxes count for BOGO or should i just buy em when i get the splinters?

, Cyclops is kinda boring but not bad

very true to the comics i see

I'm one of the few people that likes Cyclops both in game and out it seems. He's simple, but so are a lot of other heroes. Maybe its running around in his Phoenix costume that makes it so fun to me...

i'm gonna be on in a bit, who should i ask about joining the sg?

also, do the 175 random hero boxes count for BOGO or should i just buy em when i get the splinters?

very true to the comics i see
The random hero boxes don't count towards the BOGO

I'm one of the few people that likes Cyclops both in game and out it seems. He's simple, but so are a lot of other heroes. Maybe its running around in his Phoenix costume that makes it so fun to me...
His Phoenix Force costume is probably my favorite in the game even though I don't like Cyclops much. Actually I waited to level him up until I got that costume.

Snaku

Banned

Ha, I'm doing the exact same thing. Ricochet Blast is beast.

Vecks

I know it's illogical, but having an awesome costume makes heroes a lot more fun for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know it's illogical, but having an awesome costume makes heroes a lot more fun for me.

250px-Cyclops_marvelnow.png

done

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cyclops has been sort of boring. The only reason I'm taking him to 60 at this point is so I have 2 at 60 for the hero bonus. He's not bad... In fact, he's quite strong and can handle lots of stuff solo. But I like a LITTLE more active play style than rapid fire -> roll away -> repeat.

Dec

Cyclops has been sort of boring. The only reason I'm taking him to 60 at this point is so I have 2 at 60 for the hero bonus. He's not bad... In fact, he's quite strong and can handle lots of stuff solo. But I like a LITTLE more active play style than rapid fire -> roll away -> repeat.

I'll finish leveling him to 60 one day, for now he stays at 50.

I don't know who Nightwing is, but the costume that Snafu posted is a lot better than that ugly brown one

He's the identity Robin took after he was done being Robin.
i actually don't know i never read batman, but he's the first robin
nightwing-1-cover-art.jpg

Basically the same costume sans the visor. :p

KePoW

Banned
Alright team GAF, just got home from work and it's time for the THING! Who says this bad boy isn't any cool in the game??

iduEx2m9nUIrT.jpg

iycEm1NfRmHyE.jpg

So some thoughts on the raid after our moderate but steady progress today:

1) The red and green circle things are paramount for success and much of the difficulty comes in trying to spread damage between melee characters who are necessarily in close and ranged characters who might not even be within visual range of the affected character.

The red circles are easy...get the hell out of there. With nightcrawler I was able to make it into the middle lanes and didn't receive a single point of damage...so going to the middle seems like the best bet.

As for green, we need to think about this. I think everyone being able to see it by making sure their visual settings were correct was super helpful this time (obviously), I think having a dumbass pub on our raid hurt things a bit (but it's impossible to tell for sure because I was too busy trying not to screw up myself).

Question for you guys who have it specced: does the invuln on medkit use completely negate red/green meteor damage? If so that may almost be a requirement.

2) Rotation seemed to work. When I am theory-crafting I try to take into account what the designers had in mind for the encounter and I think that shapes how it can be approached. It is a puzzle and the developers created it to be solved so if you can reverse engineer the encounter, then you will have more success.

We just need to tweak exactly how we are accomplishing rotation as that seems to matter (given the red and green meteor damage).

The debuff stacks act as a kind of timer to let you know when to rotate as it should be the same for everyone who starts a boss together. As far as I can tell they increase once per second up to 50 and have a countdown of 60 seconds. Traversal times between bosses vary depending on character obviously and the mobs don't seem to present too much trouble to a well geared character, but those fire grates can really ruin your day quickly.

That being said, I think damage from the bosses is way more likely and given the number of orbs that drop in the middle dying in the middle seems pretty avoidable.

When you consider that at only 25 debuffs you are producing 50% of your damage total I think that we need to rotate much, much more frequently.

What do you guys think?

garath

So buying some random hero boxes are a solid idea? I have like 5 heroes now. Not many. There's at least a handful I'd be happy to play. Saving up for 400-600 seems like it would take forever.

Also, do you get the bonus splinters from the story every time or just the first? Seems like only the first. I went through some of it with black panther and gambit and only got the 100.

Deadly

I can't recall who but someone said they were maining SW and I was wondering if I could get any tips? Cause I've no idea how to play her. I took the what I assume is cookie-cutter build off the marvel heroes forums.

raid stuff

So I think the problem with doing 25 stacks and then rotating is that the cooldown is still 60 seconds. So if you move to the other boss, then get 25 stacks, by the time you get back over its still counting down the previous debuff. As far as I can tell each point of the debuff resets the timer. It would have to be closer to 40 stacks and then moving to make sure the debuff wears off by the time you get back to the boss.

One option would be to have 5 people start on each boss. Once we get to 40 stacks or so, we have 4 people in each group switch to the other side, then once the people get there the 2 remaining people switch. This would just be so the bosses don't reset but everyone would be able to get the buff.

I'll need to read up on it a bit more or we can just practice more. This is all just from what I could tell on the 3 attempts we did.

Vecks

So buying some random hero boxes are a solid idea? I have like 5 heroes now. Not many. There's at least a handful I'd be happy to play. Saving up for 400-600 seems like it would take forever.

Also, do you get the bonus splinters from the story every time or just the first? Seems like only the first. I went through some of it with black panther and gambit and only got the 100.

I had good luck with random boxes, but some have had horrible luck. It's really up to you to make that choice.

If you really want my opinion, I think you should at least give it 2 tries. With any luck, you'll score maybe one 400 splinter hero and have saved 50 splinters. But if you end up getting 2 dupes in a row, then it's best to quit them forever.

KePoW

Banned

If you only have 5 characters, I would do random boxes until you get your first dupe.

Pretty sure there's no loot they could possibly put in the raid for me to give a shit.
Yeah the raid-specific loot isn't even in the game yet. I just like raiding because it's fun, especially when you are with people who just take it easy and don't freak out when you lose. I definitely understand why it's not everyone cup of tea though.

Dec

Yeah the raid-specific loot isn't even in the game yet. I just like raiding because it's fun, especially when you are with people who just take it easy and don't freak out when you lose. I definitely understand why it's not everyone cup of tea though.

I know the loot isn't in game, I mean that nothing they put in there would make it worth playing it.

I love MMOs but honestly, raiding and even group content is just not something I will ever care about. The areas where I'm forced to play alongside or with other players are my least favorite parts of this game.

"Why play an MMO if you feel that way?" Because they can be good games with more depth and systems than single player games, and I play them a lot of times as coop games with my wife.

I could ignore raids as they don't interest me, but chances are some of the best gear in the game will drop exclusively there. This is a genre based entirely around RNG, being able to get a best in slot piece of gear from breaking a fucking plant or something but if they continue down this route I fear my characters, no matter how many hours I put into them will be inferior to others just because they enjoy a piece of content I don't, that doesn't even really fit into this genre of game.

I know the loot isn't in game, I mean that nothing they put in there would make it worth playing it.

I love MMOs but honestly, raiding and even group content is just not something I will ever care about. The areas where I'm forced to play alongside or with other players are my least favorite parts of this game.

"Why play an MMO if you feel that way?" Because they can be good games with more depth and systems than single player games, and I play them a lot of times as coop games with my wife.

I could ignore raids as they don't interest me, but chances are some of the best gear in the game will drop exclusively there. This is a genre based entirely around RNG, being able to get a best in slot piece of gear from breaking a fucking plant or something but if they continue down this route I fear my characters, no matter how many hours I put into them will be inferior to others just because they enjoy a piece of content I don't, that doesn't even really fit into this genre of game.
Yeah for me it just comes down to who I'm playing with. When I was playing WoW during Burning Crusade I had an amazing group of people who were really fun to talk to. I would always look forward to raiding because it was just an excuse to have fun and joke around while seeing some cool content. After I took a break and went back, that group was no longer around due to server transfers/quitting. I tried and tried to find a guild as good as that but I couldn't, and after that, I absolutely hated raiding.

99% of my time in WoW after that was spent solo until I eventually quit for good. The same thing happened in FFXIV, where I loved soloing and the occasional dungeon but once I got to endgame raiding, I stopped having fun because the community in that game is so unbelievably awful.

Luckily, the community in Marvel Heroes seems to be made up of mostly cool people who are brought together by their love of superheroes beating the crap out of things. That's one of the things that made me stick with the game after the initial rocky launch. I'm glad this game is mostly a solo experience if you want it to be. You might not get the absolute BEST gear in the game, but then again you won't really need it unless you plan to raid anyway.

Dec

Yeah for me it just comes down to who I'm playing with. When I was playing WoW during Burning Crusade I had an amazing group of people who were really fun to talk to. I would always look forward to raiding because it was just an excuse to have fun and joke around while seeing some cool content. After I took a break and went back, that group was no longer around due to server transfers/quitting. I tried and tried to find a guild as good as that but I couldn't, and after that, I absolutely hated raiding.

99% of my time in WoW after that was spent solo until I eventually quit for good. The same thing happened in FFXIV, where I loved soloing and the occasional dungeon but once I got to endgame raiding, I stopped having fun because the community in that game is so unbelievably awful.

Luckily, the community in Marvel Heroes seems to be made up of mostly cool people who are brought together by their love of superheroes beating the crap out of things. That's one of the things that made me stick with the game after the initial rocky launch. I'm glad this game is mostly a solo experience if you want it to be. You might not get the absolute BEST gear in the game, but then again you won't really need it unless you plan to raid anyway.

This is a genre where gear matters the most, though. You wont need raid gear to do things like on-shots or cosmics, but they will make it faster and potentially more fun in the case of soloing the one-shot and solo castle doom.

And when there is no more advancement to make, people leave games like this. If you ask people why they stopped playing Diablo 3 after putting hundreds of hours into it, it was probably because they got their characters to the point where it took a week or more of grinding to find an upgrade.

This game maybe has less of that because of all the characters there are to level, but I'm pretty sure most people have one or two main characters. People play ARPGs to min-max their characters, at least the people that stick with them as long as Gaz is hoping they do.

garath

Bought a random hero box with my splinters. Ended up with Scarlett witch. Not bad. Sucks that she's only worth 200 but still one I didn't have and wanted to play. Got her to 5 real quick. Liking her already

Thanks for the character advice earlier, thinking about getting Taskmaster or waiting for the Storm review and seeing what she's like then. If I could immediately use the 80s mohawk Storm costume, I'd get her ASAP but its so expensive. The very first comics I ever read, which were hand me downs from my brother, were X-Men of that era so I've always loved that costume. Like people were saying about Cyclops, costumes can be surprisingly important. Unlocking the 80s mohawk Storm in Marvel Ultimate Alliance and getting that costume in UMvC3 somehow changed how I felt about playing the character completely haha.

In the meantime I got Squirrel Girl out of a random hero box, she was in my top 5 heroes I was interested in trying out so I'm happy.

Xetherion

Declarius, the devs have said on the forums that there will be a vendor where you can buy the gear from raids with some kind of currency you can get solo. The exact details aren't ironed (sp?) out yet, but there will be a way for solo players to get raid gear.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Used me ES to pick up a box, got Cable. Pretty solid, a favorite of mine from back in the day so the RNG continues to be kind to me.

How does he play? Really been getting a good idea of how to play Strange, laying out AoEs, popping in/out of combat with CC and his damage-teleport.

Top Bottom