• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Xetherion

raid stuff

I think we should actually just focus down one boss at a time. During our first attempt I eventually stopped rotating bosses and just stuck on Hellfire, picking up the rune buff whenever it ran out, and as long as I had that buff I was still doing full damage despite being at full 50 stacks of the debuff. It's been said on the official Raid Forum that that is the most effective strategy they've seen. We just need to have 5 rotate to pick up the buff, then have the other 5 go pick up the buff when the first 5 get back, then repeat as needed until one boss is down.

Also while the green/red indicators are important, I think a lot of our deaths were actually coming from Brimstone's smaller rock drops. The indicators on those are pretty hard to see, especially if they're under Brimstone, and they were basically the only way I ever went down. By our last attempt I was getting good at avoiding them, only died once during that attempt, but other people not so much. When we were down to 3 lives left on our final attempt we lost them all instantly to those rocks when 3 people didn't avoid them.

I think we should actually just focus down one boss at a time. During our first attempt I eventually stopped rotating bosses and just stuck on Hellfire, picking up the rune buff whenever it ran out, and as long as I had that buff I was still doing full damage despite being at full 50 stacks of the debuff. It's been said on the official Raid Forum that that is the most effective strategy they've seen. We just need to have 5 rotate to pick up the buff, then have the other 5 go pick up the buff when the first 5 get back, then repeat as needed until one boss is down.

This should technically be impossible based on what the buffs and debuffs say in game. Each stack of debuff is supposed to decrease your damage by 2% where 50 stacks means you are doing the base minimum of damage which is 1.

The whole construction of the raid map pretty much points to it being intended to be completed by rotation (combine this with the way the debuffs and buffs work and the rage timer being set at what it is is also proof of this.)

When you look at what our primary problem has been it's been deaths. All attacking one boss does not help with that...if anything it makes it more challenging to avoid the one-shots from Brimstone because of the extra visual garbage on screen from everyone's powers.

I think you need to acknowledge the rock-drop is the main cause of death, in fact I think it should be the only cause of death. The arrow attacks give such a huge leeway that nobody should ever die from it, the rocks on the other hand are instant kill with tiny tells that are easily missed. I think if you can beat Brimstone with 10+ lives it should be easy to take out Hellfire, even when she's enraged. The important things should be picking up buffs and avoiding rocks.

Honestly I think people not paying attention and dying over the grate fires is a more significant killer than the arrow attacks.

Xetherion

This should technically be impossible based on what the buffs and debuffs say in game. Each stack of debuff is supposed to decrease your damage by 2% where 50 stacks means you are doing the base minimum of damage which is 1.

The whole construction of the raid map pretty much points to it being intended to be completed by rotation (combine this with the way the debuffs and buffs work and the rage timer being set at what it is is also proof of this.)

When you look at what our primary problem has been it's been deaths. All attacking one boss does not help with that...if anything it makes it more challenging to avoid the one-shots from Brimstone because of the extra visual garbage on screen from everyone's powers.

I would being doing 1 damage when the buff ran out (which is how I knew i need to get the buff again), then after I got the buff and came back to Hellfire I was doing full damage again as long as it lasted, or at least close to it (not entirely sure, but my damage numbers were definitely back up in the thousands, while the debuff was still at 50 stacks).

While I admit that Brimstone's rocks will be harder to avoid with 10 people's powers going off all at once, I think if everyone gets used to just backing off as soon as he raises his arms we should be able to see the indicators and avoid them.

I think you need to acknowledge the rock-drop is the main cause of death, in fact I think it should be the only cause of death. The arrow attacks give such a huge leeway that nobody should ever die from it, the rocks on the other hand are instant kill with tiny tells that are easily missed. I think if you can beat Brimstone with 10+ lives it should be easy to take out Hellfire, even when she's enraged. The important things should be picking up buffs and avoiding rocks.

Honestly I think people not paying attention and dying over the grate fires is a more significant killer than the arrow attacks.

Oh the rocks dropping from Brimstone are a huge problem for sure. He's definitely the harder of the two bosses by far. That being said I know for a fact I died 3 times during our last run moving into other people's green circles. I wonder if an invuln core would work better just treating the green circle as a red one, moving away from everyone momentarily, and then popping your invuln. I would assume in theory that would work if you had the timing right...you at least have a 2 second leeway. Risky but doable. I think the grates were also a cause of death, but should really be avoidable with practice.

I would being doing 1 damage when the buff ran out (which is how I knew i need to get the buff again), then after I got the buff and came back to Hellfire I was doing full damage again as long as it lasted, or at least close to it (not entirely sure, but my damage numbers were definitely back up in the thousands, while the debuff was still at 50 stacks).

While I admit that Brimstone's rocks will be harder to avoid with 10 people's powers going off all at once, I think if everyone gets used to just backing off as soon as he raises his arms we should be able to see the indicators and avoid them.

This is definitely interesting...I assumed the debuffs counteracted the buffs but if that's not the case then it makes sense to just focus on one boss at a time.

Taz

Been playing Iron Man and I was really enjoying him, used all my exp buffs and it took me about 1h30m to get to 24 doing X Def, then I switch to Legendary quests and did a couple and now if I get one that asks me to use a story teleport it's always greyed out and I can't access it, so I had to reroll when I get them and now I've ran out of cash, had a look on the forums and I can't see anyone else with this problem sucks was enjoying the game but now I can't play.

Hey, that's not bad! I don't think? lol

Like I said in the PM, you're so awesome! You really didn't have to. :>

Hah, I was thinking he was pretty bad after playing as him for even a little bit. He didn't have as much variety as Luke Cage did, even at the start.

No problem at all. Always happy to share the wealth. I have missed 3 of them as well but I have at least a couple of free toons even if they weren't the ones I wanted.

Been playing Iron Man and I was really enjoying him, used all my exp buffs and it took me about 1h30m to get to 24 doing X Def, then I switch to Legendary quests and did a couple and now if I get one that asks me to use a story teleport it's always greyed out and I can't access it, so I had to reroll when I get them and now I've ran out of cash, had a look on the forums and I can't see anyone else with this problem sucks was enjoying the game but now I can't play.

Yeah that should not happen. You are probably in the wrong difficulty for the LQ? If you get a legendary quest in the story for a waypoint you don't have it unlocks it for you everytime.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt watch the stream but if this is indeed what was said:

"For people that missed the live stream from the devs they talked about the raids.
The raid difficulty is intended with some minor fixes coming. You will need to be on Voice chat or have alot of experienced people along to be able to beat raid bosses. They want the raids to be for the more hardcore people and overtime if people grind the tactics and farm gear pugs should work it will just take a few weeks / months.
You will need top gear to be able to Raid along with the "Right" builds for your heroes. Harder version of the raid is coming "Soon" The Third boss should be on the live server next week.
Raid loot will be on vendors where you can spend some kind of currency to buy items that drops from the raid similar to badges or raid tokens from WoW
There are Unique items / Artifacts and Surturs twilight sword Legendary that all drop from different bosses inside the raid."

the bold part pretty much seals the deal for me not raiding in this game. Its one of the things I love about Marvel, the ability to just spec and play however the fuck you want. If I wanted cookie cutter "correct" builds I would still be playing wow.

in fact its a shame how wow-like they want to make this, but not surprising or unexpected I guess.

shock33

If they allowed dual specs (or a raid spec) I'd be fine with that, but given that respecs cost actual money beyond the 3 story mode rewards and random drops I think that sucks

Taz

No problem at all. Always happy to share the wealth. I have missed 3 of them as well but I have at least a couple of free toons even if they weren't the ones I wanted.

Yeah that should not happen. You are probably in the wrong difficulty for the LQ? If you get a legendary quest in the story for a waypoint you don't have it unlocks it for you everytime.

I think what happend was I took a legendary Q and I thought it was odd that I was in a party and just ignored it and completed the LQ and then I noticed I had gotten credit for a chapter 7 quest in the main story and that's when the bug started, I logged on today and tried to go through the main story to see if it fixes it but it's all broken and I can't progress so I've just made a new account and gonna rush to 30, sucks but I didn't loss much

Carm

Anyone play Moonknight? I'm about to start leveling him more, only level 8 from earlier today. Up until this point I haven't allocated any of his talent points. I'm trying to put a point into Tools of Vengeance, my first point spent anywhere, and I get this message on screen:

"The choices you've made will prevent you from selecting these powers withou using a Retcon Device to reallocate your power points: Avatar of Vengeance."

4E3C0FD9E4C2D0E7B9F2487ADBECA4075F7E1BFD

What the hell does that mean? The talent to the right is Avatar of Vengeance, but I don't have any points into that anyway so why the warning? Is it as simple as just a warning that no other character I've played gets. Does it mean you can't put points in both?

Anyone play Moonknight? I'm about to start leveling him more, only level 8 from earlier today. Up until this point I haven't allocated any of his talent points. I'm trying to put a point into Tools of Vengeance, my first point spent anywhere, and I get this message on screen:

"The choices you've made will prevent you from selecting these powers withou using a Retcon Device to reallocate your power points: Avatar of Vengeance."

What the hell does that mean? The talent to the right is Avatar of Vengeance, but I don't have any points into that anyway so why the warning? Is it as simple as just a warning that no other character I've played gets. Does it mean you can't put points in both?

Yea its just telling you that if you choose to put points in Tools, then Avatar will be disabled and you wont be able to put points into that and vice versa. So basically you can only have one or the other, unless you respec. This mechanic is unique to Moon Knight (thus far).

KePoW

Banned

I would bet you're on the wrong Difficulty setting. I don't think it's bugged.

Wallach

That's correct, Moon Knight can only choose one of the two "vengeance" cooldown powers. If you take one it will lock out out of the other.

I think what happend was I took a legendary Q and I thought it was odd that I was in a party and just ignored it and completed the LQ and then I noticed I had gotten credit for a chapter 7 quest in the main story and that's when the bug started, I logged on today and tried to go through the main story to see if it fixes it but it's all broken and I can't progress so I've just made a new account and gonna rush to 30, sucks but I didn't loss much

So what exactly was the bug? You couldn't access the teleporter?
I wouldn't consider starting again without one of the coolest characters in the game not losing much. ;p

I would make sure that it is actually bugged before scrapping the account.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I didnt watch the stream but if this is indeed what was said:

"For people that missed the live stream from the devs they talked about the raids.
The raid difficulty is intended with some minor fixes coming. You will need to be on Voice chat or have alot of experienced people along to be able to beat raid bosses. They want the raids to be for the more hardcore people and overtime if people grind the tactics and farm gear pugs should work it will just take a few weeks / months.
You will need top gear to be able to Raid along with the "Right" builds for your heroes. Harder version of the raid is coming "Soon" The Third boss should be on the live server next week.
Raid loot will be on vendors where you can spend some kind of currency to buy items that drops from the raid similar to badges or raid tokens from WoW
There are Unique items / Artifacts and Surturs twilight sword Legendary that all drop from different bosses inside the raid."

the bold part pretty much seals the deal for me not raiding in this game. Its one of the things I love about Marvel, the ability to just spec and play however the fuck you want. If I wanted cookie cutter "correct" builds I would still be playing wow.

in fact its a shame how wow-like they want to make this, but not surprising or unexpected I guess.

Yeah, agreed. The current difficulty being intended seems wildly misjudged to me, I really don't think that's what the audience wants, outside of a small, vocal minority. I've been raid leader in WoW but I absolutely don't want that kind of experience in this game. Most probably don't. Having said that, I'd still be very surprised if the raid doesn't get tuned down soonish because as-is there's like no margin for error to beat the enrage timer. But yeah if it stays as-is, odds are I will not play the raids, which is a shame. You'd figure with a second difficulty coming down the pipeline, they'd make one of them accessible. Oh well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, agreed. The current difficulty being intended seems wildly misjudged to me, I really don't think that's what the audience wants, outside of a small, vocal minority. I've been raid leader in WoW but I absolutely don't want that kind of experience in this game. Most probably don't. Having said that, I'd still be very surprised if the raid doesn't get tuned down soonish because as-is there's like no margin for error to beat the enrage timer. But yeah if it stays as-is, odds are I will not play the raids, which is a shame. You'd figure with a second difficulty coming down the pipeline, they'd make one of them accessible. Oh well.

the whole "hardcore, you need X hero with X spec and uber gear and whatnot" schtick is also particulary strange in a game with... 34 out of 42 confirmed characters o_O

I always pegged the game as a lot more alt friendly than most, I thought it was intended. And if they think its the "hardcore raiders" who will be buying all these heroes and costumes, they are barking up the wrong tree

Dec

Declarius, the devs have said on the forums that there will be a vendor where you can buy the gear from raids with some kind of currency you can get solo. The exact details aren't ironed (sp?) out yet, but there will be a way for solo players to get raid gear.

Having trouble finding this, link it?

Indignate

So the fortune card currencies; I'm good to just get rid of these right? Unless I plan on buying 95 of a card to make anything out of them since they don't drop anywhere else, right?

Lord Phol

So the fortune card currencies; I'm good to just get rid of these right? Unless I plan on buying 95 of a card to make anything out of them since they don't drop anywhere else, right?

Well Gaz keeps giving out cards every now and then for free so I would save them, unless you don't really care about those specific costumes/Team-Ups.

Rhaknar

you can also donate them to crafters like any other item

Taz

So what exactly was the bug? You couldn't access the teleporter?
I wouldn't consider starting again without one of the coolest characters in the game not losing much. ;p

I would make sure that it is actually bugged before scrapping the account.

I would bet you're on the wrong Difficulty setting. I don't think it's bugged.

The problem is have is that any quest that requires using story mission teleports it's all greyed out and I can't access it but if it's for a red terminal etc I can do the quests, so I tried to play through the story to open them all by my self but i can't complete any quests nothing is showing up, the other waypoints I can take are the terminal ones and the challenges anything to do with the story is just grey and not accessible. I have Heroic unlocked and I changed it to that and it's still the same.

Basically my bug is that anything to do with main story is bugged and all greyed out and no quests available.

The challenges red terminal etc all work fine and I can reroll LQ to that and they work but I ran out of money.

Dec

The problem is have is that any quest that requires using story mission teleports it's all greyed out and I can't access it but if it's for a red terminal etc I can do the quests, so I tried to play through the story to open them all by my self but i can't complete any quests nothing is showing up, the other waypoints I can take are the terminal ones and the challenges anything to do with the story is just grey and not accessible. I have Heroic unlocked and I changed it to that and it's still the same.

Basically my bug is that anything to do with main story is bugged and all greyed out and no quests available.

The challenges red terminal etc all work fine and I can reroll LQ to that and they work but I ran out of money.

And you're sure it isn't what they suggested? That sounds like the issue to me.

Look in the LQ and it should say at the top that it must be completed in a certain difficulty. It will only give you progress if you are in that difficulty when you try to complete it, and only give you the waypoint for that difficulty.

Open your roster, select your hero and pick the difficulty it says in the dropdown menu.

Blank!

RE Raid stuff:

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/101404/brimstone-and-hellfire-the-strat#latest

We had the 'correct' strategy, it was more or less just execution.

The attempts I did that were successful, I (personally) had player particles off and just let everyone else stack for green circles. A bit selfish but my lag increases dramatically with it on which is the only reason I was dying (prior attempts I simply didn't die, ever). Kind of hoping this gets fixed so that I can keep it off but still see them.

Interesting note from above: turrets/pets count as players for the green circle. A rocket raccoon could probably go a long way in this fight or just summoning up your teamup.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I hate how they basically just copied WoW's raid style. Stand in this circle or don't stand in this one. So dull and played out. Was hoping they had something a little more fun planned for these. Doubt I'll even bother unless I'm online and the guild is short a man or something.

Rhaknar

I hate how they basically just copied WoW's raid style. Stand in this circle or don't stand in this one. So dull and played out. Was hoping they had something a little more fun planned for these. Doubt I'll even bother unless I'm online and the guild is short a man or something.

It's funny how everyone that used to raid in wow is hating the raid system more or less :)

Taz

And you're sure it isn't what they suggested? That sounds like the issue to me.

Look in the LQ and it should say at the top that it must be completed in a certain difficulty. It will only give you progress if you are in that difficulty when you try to complete it, and only give you the waypoint for that difficulty.

Open your roster, select your hero and pick the difficulty it says in the dropdown menu.

Yea I did that and switch it to Heroic and the bug is still there, I'm guessing when it put me in a group with the other guy when I was doing solo LQs(it shouldn't do this right ?), it's liked it locked my story quests after I got credit for completing it.

All I lost was the free gifts from the 1 year anniversary and lvl 30 human torch and a lvl 33 Iron man I didnt put any credit on the account, so I'm not that bothered, I rerolled another account and got a Storm to 25 so I'll get the anniversary gifts back and I don't mind re buying Iron man because I was anyways untill I got lucky and got him for free out of a random hero box.

Tendo

Who is the "best" teamup character? I was gone when this mechanic was introduced and its all new to me. Playing mainly Ms. Marvel.

Yea I did that and switch it to Heroic and the bug is still there, I'm guessing when it put me in a group with the other guy when I was doing solo LQs(it shouldn't do this right ?), it's liked it locked my story quests after I got credit for completing it.

All I lost was the free gifts from the 1 year anniversary and lvl 30 human torch and a lvl 33 Iron man I didnt put any credit on the account, so I'm not that bothered, I rerolled another account and got a Storm to 25 so I'll get the anniversary gifts back and I don't mind re buying Iron man because I was anyways untill I got lucky and got him for free out of a random hero box.

Still seems like a waste, and you could always use that cash to get another hero and keep Iron Man.

I doubt it is a permanent bug. So are you not able to even pick up the story quests from NPCs or something? I have seen a bunch of bugs in the game but so far have never had the quest system bug out a single time. Although I guess shared quests have some bugs so maybe it is related to that somehow.

Who is the "best" teamup character? I was gone when this mechanic was introduced and its all new to me. Playing mainly Ms. Marvel.

I don't have either of the Spidey TUs. but I personally like Magik the best. Her powers seem the most useful especially at later levels. Although her passives are not as good I almost never use them passively except for really hard bosses.

However, I will say that Falcon easily has the best model and effects.

Scirrocco

I don't have either of the Spidey TUs. but I personally like Magik the best. Her powers seem the most useful especially at later levels. Although her passives are not as good I almost never use them passively except for really hard bosses.

However, I will say that Falcon easily has the best model and effects.

What are the other passives? Ive only got magik, but have been thinking of picking up firestsr. Magikxs passives seem fine to me, so im just wondering.

Blank!

A brief overview of the 4:

There are 3 modes you can set teamups as: Passive, Always out, 30 second mode.

For the most part, always out mode is pretty crappy unless you're leveling up or in very rare situations where you can keep protect them. Their damage is fairly bad, their AI is terrible (waste 1 minute cooldown attacks on the wrong targets, etc), and they're squishy even with regen.

30 second mode, the only viable hero for this is Firestar. The others just have way too low damage output to even consider in this mode. It's a net loss for practically anything other than cosmic terminal farming (kill to boss, cast it, kill boss, switch characters, do it again).

Passively, it depends on your hero. Magik gives 52 life steal a hit and 10% summon ally damage, Firestar gives 5% spirit reduction, Spiderman gives 700ish dodge and a damage proc on dodging, and Falcon gives crit rating.

Spiderman has the best passive 99% of the time, but especially on low dodge heroes as it suffers the least amount of diminishing returns. He also has 2 really good passive damage procs on top of that. He's probably the best hero to use passively.

Magik's 52 life steal isn't great but can be stacked with other sources to make it "not bad". She comes with 1 good damage proc and 1 crappy summon skill passively though.

Firestar's passive is probably the worst except for those who SERIOUSLY need the spirit reduction. She does come with 2 "okay" damage procs which would beat out Magik.

Falcon sucks. The crit rating can be found on teamup gear now just further diminishes it's value. If you're seriously lacking crit, you can pick him though. His attack speed proc suffers diminishing returns and doesn't benefit all builds either, leaving him with just 1 damage proc.

All damage procs scale based off YOUR damage rating, and type does matter. So physical-damage based heroes (Thing/Spiderman) will deal more damage with Spiderman/Falcon passive procs than a Scarlet Witch using those characters. This diminishes Magik's value somewhat because there are less mental damage heroes and the procs become way worse when used on a non-mental damage hero.

So to sum up; "best" teamup is likely Firestar/Spiderman. They both have their uses. Firestar can work either in all 3 modes reasonably well, spiderman only works in 2 but is probably stronger passively.

Magik isn't bad, but more specialized. Falcon sucks, I don't use him on anyone :(

Taz

Yea I have no quest to take or any quest in my log regarding the main mission, plus I don't mind losing what I had was only 4-5 hours worth of play and no money spent and I'm quite enjoying Storm, plus looking at what I got from the 1 year anniversary gifts I got junk so maybe I'll get better stuff this time round.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
55 on Cyclops. So close. I may make 60 by end of day...I wish those Gs were still on sale on eBay so I could power through with a stack of Exp bars haha.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Spiderman Teamup gives like 700 dodge rating on passive? I gotta get me that.

Rhaknar

Wait, Spiderman Teamup gives like 700 dodge rating on passive? I gotta get me that.

alot of the passives are actually really good. but I like having them out :(

Yea I have no quest to take or any quest in my log regarding the main mission, plus I don't mind losing what I had was only 4-5 hours worth of play and no money spent and I'm quite enjoying Storm, plus looking at what I got from the 1 year anniversary gifts I got junk so maybe I'll get better stuff this time round.

Why not just contact support? No one has ever heard of a bug like this so you have to understand we're pretty dubious about it. I'm still pretty sure this is an issue with not understanding how quest progression works because you can pretty much complete the story mode in any order without even needing to be given the quests in the first place.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Seems odd...I would imagine nothing is wrong except that there's a miscommunication going on. Nonetheless, you're best bet is to just contact support at this point. I'm sure they can fix or guide you along to solving the issue.

Maybe jump in the GAF Mumble with someone.

KePoW

Banned
alot of the passives are actually really good. but I like having them out :(

I'm with my ol' buddie rhak on this.

What's the point of buying comic Team-Up characters if you never see them? That's a total waste to me.

I always have them permanently out because it looks cool.

Xetherion

Having trouble finding this, link it?

My bad, it was said on stream, not posted on forum.

Xetherion

Seems odd...I would imagine nothing is wrong except that there's a miscommunication going on. Nonetheless, you're best bet is to just contact support at this point. I'm sure they can fix or guide you along to solving the issue.

Maybe jump in the GAF Mumble with someone.

Can someone give me the info for the GAF mumble server? I had to reformat and just reinstalled Mumble.

Taz

That's the first thing I did was submit a ticket guess they don't work weekends.

Coming from PoE/D3 this game is holding up really well there is so much content it's amazing.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
That's the first thing I did was submit a ticket guess they don't work weekends.

Coming from PoE/D3 this game is holding up really well there is so much content it's amazing.

And pretty much all of it outside of the story mode was made in the last year. It's only going to get better.

Admodieus

Hit 30 today on my main (Scarlet Witch). I feel legitimately powerful using her ultimate. The anniversary gifts they gave out are insane, I now have a set of level 60 unique's waiting for me to get to max level. I also got a costume for a hero I don't have yet (Punisher) and then converted some of my ES into a random hero box - got Invisible Woman (meh).

I can't believe I spent so much time on D3 when this game has much more content. I admit I'm kind of at a loss at the moment for what to do after completing the story - do I run missions to try and get more Omega points? Do I just do X-Defense and Legendary Quests and rush to 60? There just seems to be a ton to do.

I also love the Synergy system, it's like the Legacy mechanic from SWTOR but done right.

My only question is where do I start to make sense of all the crafting and materials that are suddenly available to me. As I opened anniversary gifts, I got all this stuff I had no idea was even in the game. What should I be paying attention to/focusing on as I climb from 30 to 60?

Top Bottom