• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Blank!

I would not waste shards on Ghost Boxes. I only use them on Fortune Cards

Exact opposite, I wouldn't waste shards on Fortune cards only Ghost Boxes. Basically it works like this:

The Fortune card rare items suck (unless you really like pets or the Mark 1 costumes which are blah to me but whatever) but their common items (all potions basically) at least FEEL useful... the xp-ones being the most obvious. Personally, I think RiF/SiF are highly overrated. I'm personally swimming in retcon potions and don't care about decorate artifacts so even the uncommon Fortune card drops suck for me.

Ghost boxes are the opposite. The commons are god awful and 99% of the time vendor trash (for less than what you could of gotten for donating the shards) but the crafting recipes (well, accelator) are at least useful, and the rares are MUCH better.

Or you can just horde them and hope for something better down the line.

inky

I've got at least 8 extra costumes since launch from FC Mk1, which I have used for crafting. XP pots are great and RIF/SIF can be saved to combine during events which, if anything, might help speed up the splinter/unique rate during those.

I prefer FCs for sure.

KePoW

Banned
Exact opposite, I wouldn't waste shards on Fortune cards only Ghost Boxes. Basically it works like this:

The Fortune card rare items suck (unless you really like pets or the Mark 1 costumes which are blah to me but whatever) but their common items (all potions basically) at least FEEL useful... the xp-ones being the most obvious. Personally, I think RiF/SiF are highly overrated. I'm personally swimming in retcon potions and don't care about decorate artifacts so even the uncommon Fortune card drops suck for me.

Ghost boxes are the opposite. The commons are god awful and 99% of the time vendor trash (for less than what you could of gotten for donating the shards) but the crafting recipes (well, accelator) are at least useful, and the rares are MUCH better.

I like the costumes and boost items from FCs.

I'm not aware of the crafting recipes from Ghost Boxes... are they exclusive recipes?

Blank!

I like the costumes and boost items from FCs.

I'm not aware of the crafting recipes from Ghost Boxes... are they exclusive recipes?

Other than the XP boosts, I don't notice a difference with the other ones. I also have enough 60's now that leveling is pretty damn fast if I want to burn through it.

I know there were other ways to get the recipes at one point (the other ghost boxes for armor drives/eggs/whatever) but I think no longer. They may be in a Fortune Card (that isn't 1) that I'm forgetting, but otherwise... ghost boxes is it.

It's 3 advanced versions of the crafter recipe so advanced fantastic force field, adrenalizer, and accelerator. Accelerator rolls low 500's on physical damage on a good roll with 800 health restore when you hit with a movement power. Fairly underrated artifact for terminals, more so now that we all have these spare points to go around. The other 2 sadly suck :(

KePoW

Banned
I know there were other ways to get the recipes at one point (the other ghost boxes for armor drives/eggs/whatever) but I think no longer. They may be in a Fortune Card (that isn't 1) that I'm forgetting, but otherwise... ghost boxes is it.

It's 3 advanced versions of the crafter recipe so advanced fantastic force field, adrenalizer, and accelerator. Accelerator rolls low 500's on physical damage on a good roll with 800 health restore when you hit with a movement power. Fairly underrated artifact for terminals, more so now that we all have these spare points to go around. The other 2 sadly suck :(

Ok got it, did not know about these items.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really need to get back to doing all terminals every day for cube shards. I don't even have thor yet but I want that destroyer costume just so that when I do get him I can run around as robothor with horsethor sidekick.

I really need to get back to doing all terminals every day for cube shards. I don't even have thor yet but I want that destroyer costume just so that when I do get him I can run around as robothor with horsethor sidekick.

I was super lucky to get the Destroyer costume in a Fortune Card drop waaaay back when I started playing.

Only just unlocked Thor a little while ago, and holding out for the Bill team-up release so I can rock Destroyer + Bill + will probably buy Throg pet for shits and giggles haha

Carm

So, last night I posted asking about doing legendary quests as a group since everyone has a different quest, it makes it tedious. Someone mentioned they implemented the shared quests feature instead.

So, tonight I'm playing with a friend, hit 20 and decide to try the 'share" Terminals.

Todays Daily for Terminals:

Defeat Kurse
Rescue Asgardian Civilians 0/8
Defeat Henchmen 0/1000
Defeat Hood
Defeat M.O.D.O.K.

So, I think great, lets start with Odins Palace to knock out two birds with one stone. And here we run into the first annoyance that is off putting to my friend and I. I warp to the Palace, friend gets no prompts, has to teleport to me. You get a prompt for Holo-Sim in groups why not these. So we start killing and rescuing civilians, he rescues some, I do others. We finish and I check the daily civilians rescued 3/8 wtf. So apparently rescuing civilians is not group wide for a shared quest, yet kills are, so we had to do it twice.

Something like this might not bug some people but it's just poor design when you're coming from other games that don't have this issue, in the arpg or mmo genre.

The decaying experience orbs while fighting is extremely annoying to my friends I got started playing the game this week. I don't like it either, don't see the point of it really. They don't like the thought of having to pay for respecs either, neither do I, but it's f2p could be worse I guess. Yes, I know 3 from story, and they'll have the 5 from the anniversary later this week, both 25 atm.

The game seriously needs another visible hot bar somewhere too. Could be 4 slots left of the hp bar and 4 to the right of the spirit bar at a minimum.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Doomsaw just confirmed that the Surfer voice from the brief TC leak was unfinished, and assuming marvel signs off on the latest visual tweaks (they wanted his beam attacks to have a more classic look as opposed to modern, apparently) we should be seeing/hearing him in all his glory on the TC this weekend.

KePoW

Banned
Doomsaw just confirmed that the Surfer voice from the brief TC leak was unfinished, and assuming marvel signs off on the latest visual tweaks (they wanted his beam attacks to have a more classic look as opposed to modern, apparently) we should be seeing/hearing him in all his glory on the TC this weekend.

Ah ok cool, will he come out Live this week?

I'm super psyched for the Surfer. I'm only about 70 splinters away from having enough for him too. The last guy I saved up for with splinters was Moon Knight, who I did hate at first but have since warmed up to him.

Ironically both characters I never really cared about in the comics.

Xevren

Really didn't see this coming, but you guys remember that shitty giveaway on the Ogre forums or whatever the fuck it was? Looks like he's actually going through and pm'ing people that actually responded like he told them. Dude sent me a code.

That was surprising...and I just noticed the guy above me said the same thing. Derp.

The 50% experience boost isn't even that great. I miss the days of getting 100% boost weekends fairly often. Would also be nice to have a repeat of that amazing 200% weekend too.

SirKhalid

woah finally got my GameOGRE random hero box in my spam box

fingers crossed for Black Panther or Ms Marvel!

Really didn't see this coming, but you guys remember that shitty giveaway on the Ogre forums or whatever the fuck it was? Looks like he's actually going through and pm'ing people that actually responded like he told them. Dude sent me a code.

That was surprising...and I just noticed the guy above me said the same thing. Derp.

Nothing in my mailbox...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not gonna lie, the whole raid thing really soured me on the game. Havent logged in almost a week (since finishing psylocke) and I dont even have the itch to either.

The "raids need "proper" specs" comment from the devs broke me...

Or I might just be a little burned out again after all the leveling, certainly possible

Vecks

not gonna lie, the whole raid thing really soured me on the game. Havent logged in almost a week (since finishing psylocke) and I dont even have the itch to either.

The "raids need "proper" specs" comment from the devs broke me...

Or I might just be a little burned out again after all the leveling, certainly possible

Of course I don't know for sure what they meant, but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it means follow cookie cutter builds. Proper builds are probably related to building a build that matches your gear. You're going to want the best gear as possible, and you'll want a build to support that. Would a build that maxes out all the support toggles that do nothing but reduce spirit cost be helpful? With how easy the main game is, that won't really matter there, but in reality it's not practical in a mode that emphasizes difficulty.

It may sound silly, but I think that's all they're trying to say. There are people who might max out all their movement powers, but if their gear doesn't give any benefits for movement powers, then it's really not gonna be effective.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Of course I don't know for sure what they meant, but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it means follow cookie cutter builds. Proper builds are probably related to building a build that matches your gear. You're going to want the best gear as possible, and you'll want a build to support that. Would a build that maxes out all the support toggles that do nothing but reduce spirit cost be helpful? With how easy the main game is, that won't really matter there, but in reality it's not practical in a mode that emphasizes difficulty.

It may sound silly, but I think that's all they're trying to say. There are people who might max out all their movement powers, but if their gear doesn't give any benefits for movement powers, then it's really not gonna be effective.

i think they meant exactly what they said, raids are meant to have the best dps spec, (because the game wants to be wow aparently)

one of the things I like the most about the game (besides the Marvel-ness of it) is how you can spec however you want and still get results (probably because of how easy it is)

I dont want to waste points and a slot in a boring looking spell just because it does 40% extra damage to bosses (actually thats a bad example because I usually do take those, but you know what I mean)

im not trying to be hyperbolic and say im quitting the game or anything (I did buy the advance pack afterall lol), just raids, for now, left a bad taste in my mouth and I dont like the direction the game is going

Dec

I don't think normal players think like that, though.

More like they put a point in every ability they unlock to try it out and if they like it they dump more. Then at 60 you retcon and put points in only the stuff you liked using to get back those 1 pointers you didn't like.

Doing this might not give you the "best" build, but you've tried every skill and decided you like those most.

Maybe you'll still be able to complete the raid with a build like this idk, but even then, it's more about other players expectation of the "best" build and reaction to people using anything else.

Rhaknar

youre a perfect example Dec, since you play Rocket. Im sorry, but im never playing a pet-less Rocket, but that is obviously not hsi best dps spec

Nor would I play a pet-less Colossus, or a Diamond Emma, or a melee SG, etc etc. This game more than any other, I like to use what...what I like to use really. Which, in most cases, is not ideal, but like I said, got the job done up until now and I had fun

Dec

youre a perfect example Dec, since you play Rocket. Im sorry, but im never playing a pet-less Rocket, but that is obviously not hsi best dps spec

Nor would I play a pet-less Colossus, or a Diamond Emma, or a melee SG, etc etc. This game more than any other, I like to use what...what I like to use really. Which, in most cases, is not ideal, but like I said, got the job done up until now and I had fun

The bosses thus far are about single target dps. Rocket's best spec involves replacing BFG with his barrage ability, which is a worse spec essentially anywhere else in the game. Means in order to maintain the "best" build on Rocket, you need to respec back and forth or play a way you don't want to.

Thankfully dual spec is coming, but still a pain now.

KePoW

Banned
I guess I don't understand yalls concerns. (which is all hypothetical anyway since raids are not out for real)

But in any case, you guys are saying it's fun to use any build you want right now. Well... we all know how ridiculously easy the game is, that's why.

Do you really expect raid content to be the same difficulty as the existing normal content? That wouldn't make sense to me. I expect (and want) raids to be hard as heck.

That means you should not put random points all over the place and just doodle around in a raid. You think every group should automatically beat raid content no matter how they play?

I guess it's all opinions, but I'm heavily in favor of hard difficulty in raids. Isn't one of the longstanding criticisms throughout our whole OT on GAF been that the game is way too easy?

I would be very disappointed if they end up making raids auto-win mode for every single player.

Just playing devil's advocate, but I like the game easy. I really like that it's piss easy.

That said, I have no problem with Raids being hard either. There are parts of the game I don't play already - Cosmic Terminals are a good example; they take too long and as a casual player I don't see the benefits as my characters aren't really geared for CTs and I don't enjoy spending half my time dying, so I just don't do them.

I haven't even tried the new Raid yet. I might give it a go with my SG, but really, I have little interest and that's mainly because it's touted as hard mode.

Nothing else has changed in my game because I don't/can't/won't play the Raids. I'll keep chugging through my easy mode getting my characters to 60 - and when that's done eventually, I'll probably start prestiging.

I'm fine with there being content that I'll not use. Gaz are doing a good job of keeping the game accessible and providing variation for those who want it and those who don't.

If they had tiers of Raids; Green Raid, Red Raid, Cosmic Raid etc, I'd be okay with that too and I'd probably play the Greens/Reds for example like I do now with Terminals.

Rhaknar

I guess I don't understand yalls concerns. (which is all hypothetical anyway since raids are not out for real)

But in any case, you guys are saying it's fun to use any build you want right now. Well... we all know how ridiculously easy the game is, that's why.

Do you really expect raid content to be the same difficulty as the existing normal content? That wouldn't make sense to me. I expect (and want) raids to be hard as heck.

That means you should not put random points all over the place and just doodle around in a raid. You think every group should automatically beat raid content no matter how they play?

I guess it's all opinions, but I'm heavily in favor of hard difficulty in raids. Isn't one of the longstanding criticisms throughout our whole OT on GAF been that the game is way too easy?

I would be very disappointed if they end up making raids auto-win mode for every single player.

something being hard has nothing to do with it being a dps check, which is the problem here and whats keeping you from using the spec you want. nobody is "throwing random points everywhere" either, or wants to doodle around in raids (whatever the fuck that means), we....well, Im just using specific spells that I like to use that are not the ideal for maximum dps

again, taking Rocket as an example, I like playing Rocket with turrets mostly, but turret dmg is pretty shit (and they probably get destroyed in like 2 seconds in raids anyway) so that means if I was to raid as Rocket, I would have to use a spec that I dont like using.

or with heroes that are both ranged and melee. If one spec has higher dps than the other (and most do), thats the one that at the moment is expected to be used in a raid, weather you like it or not

Just playing devil's advocate, but I like the game easy. I really like that it's piss easy.

That said, I have no problem with Raids being hard either. There are parts of the game I don't play already - Cosmic Terminals are a good example; they take too long and as a casual player I don't see the benefits as my characters aren't really geared for CTs and I don't enjoy spending half my time dying, so I just don't do them.

I haven't even tried the new Raid yet. I might give it a go with my SG, but really, I have little interest and that's mainly because it's touted as hard mode.

Nothing else has changed in my game because I don't/can't/won't play the Raids. I'll keep chugging through my easy mode getting my characters to 60 - and when that's done eventually, I'll probably start prestiging.

I'm fine with there being content that I'll not use. Gaz are doing a good job of keeping the game accessible and providing variation for those who want it and those who don't.

If they had tiers of Raids; Green Raid, Red Raid, Cosmic Raid etc, I'd be okay with that too and I'd probably play the Greens/Reds for example like I do now with Terminals.

completely agree with you, except the problem with raids compared to cosmic terminals is that you can still do normal / red terminals and see the content, if raids are left as they are (which hopefully they wont be) that is content that people might not see, hell...its STORY content that people might not see. They said that raids would have difficulties, but as far as I know, they have said that the red version (harder) is coming later, meaning the one we have now is the "easy" one

Wallach

something being hard has nothing to do with it being a dps check, which is the problem here and whats keeping you from using the spec you want. nobody is "throwing random points everywhere" either, or wants to doodle around in raids (whatever the fuck that means), we....well, Im just using specific spells that I like to use that are not the ideal for maximum dps

again, taking Rocket as an example, I like playing Rocket with turrets mostly, but turret dmg is pretty shit (and they probably get destroyed in like 2 seconds in raids anyway) so that means if I was to raid as Rocket, I would have to use a spec that I dont like using.

or with heroes that are both ranged and melee. If one spec has higher dps than the other (and most do), thats the one that at the moment is expected to be used in a raid, weather you like it or not

completely agree with you, except the problem with raids compared to cosmic terminals is that you can still do normal / red terminals and see the content, if raids are left as they are (which hopefully they wont be) that is content that people might not see, hell...its STORY content that people might not see. They said that raids would have difficulties, but as far as I know, they have said that the red version (harder) is coming later, meaning the one we have now is the "easy" one

The first group to kill both raid fights on live had a summon-based RR in their raid group.

KePoW

Banned
except the problem with raids compared to cosmic terminals is that you can still do normal / red terminals and see the content, if raids are left as they are (which hopefully they wont be) that is content that people might not see, hell...its STORY content that people might not see. They said that raids would have difficulties, but as far as I know, they have said that the red version (harder) is coming later, meaning the one we have now is the "easy" one

Well then we're just going to disagree, because when this was a debated issue in WoW, I was on the side that said not everyone should be able to beat all content. That's just the way it is and I see nothing wrong with that.

Or you can have a Raid-Finder pug mode where the loot is tuned down a lot. (I don't have a problem with this)

And I do not agree with the argument that anyone who buys a game should automatically see all its content. I mean have you seen all the industry-wide statistics that show not even 75% of people beat *single-player story based* games that are bought for full price. So the vast majority of game buyers do not see all of a game's content.

Dec

The first group to kill both raid fights on live had a summon-based RR in their raid group.

And he changed his spec to do it.

Well then we're just going to disagree, because when this was a debated issue in WoW, I was on the side that said not everyone should be able to beat all content. That's just the way it is and I see nothing wrong with that.

Or you can have a Raid-Finder pug mode where the loot is tuned down a lot. (I don't have a problem with this)

And I do not agree with the argument that anyone who buys a game should automatically see all its content. I mean have you seen all the industry-wide statistics that show not even 75% of people beat *single-player story based* games that are bought for full price. So the vast majority of game buyers do not see all of a game's content.

You seem to think we *can't* do it. We're on GAF, we could all do the raid if had the desire. I just don't want to deal with all the bullshit that comes with doing raids, in literally any game.

KePoW

Banned
You seem to think we *can't* do it. We're on GAF, we could all do the raid if had the desire. I just don't want to deal with all the bullshit that comes with doing raids, in literally any game.

That's fine, nothing wrong with that in your case. If you don't like group content in any online-game, then there's nothing to discuss.

But an online-game should not be changed to reflect a player like you right?

I knew plenty of WoW players who soloed 99% of the time, but you certainly shouldn't design raids with those players in mind.

Dec

That's fine, nothing wrong with that in your case. If you don't like group content in any online-game, then there's nothing to discuss.

But an online-game should not be changed to reflect a player like you right?

I knew plenty of WoW players who soloed 99% of the time, but you certainly shouldn't design raids with those players in mind.

You are mistaking group content for raids.

It's an ARPG employing a piece of content made for another genre, the game was changed for players, just in a bad direction.

All content in the game scales to the amount of players around, that's how this genre works.

KePoW

Banned
You are mistaking group content for raids.

It's an ARPG employing a piece of content made for another genre, the game was changed for players, just in a bad direction.

All content in the game scales to the amount of players around, that's how this genre works.

I'm pretty sure you're the poster who said you dislike any type of group content in online-games, not just raids. I believe you said something to the effect that you hate when you're forced to group with anyone at all, and you only want to play with your wife.

To me, that sounds like you don't even want to do 4-man or 5-man content.

I don't believe online-games and MMOs should be designed with that type of player in mind. There's no right or wrong answer to this... I'm just one who prefers hard group-based content.

However, you are correct that Gaz has specifically stated they want to take MH past the traditional ARPG genre, and more of a mix toward a true MMO. There's no right or wrong to that either... some players like you may not want it, but that does NOT mean everyone thinks so. There are other players who want to see this new mix of MMO.

Dec

I'm pretty sure you're the poster who said you dislike any type of group content in online-games, not just raids. I believe you said something to the effect that you hate when you're forced to group with anyone at all, and you only want to play with your wife.

To me, that sounds like you don't even want to do 4-man or 5-man content.

I don't believe online-games and MMOs should be designed with that type of player in mind. There's no right or wrong answer to this... I'm just one who prefers hard group-based content.

However, you are correct that Gaz has specifically stated they want to take MH past the traditional ARPG genre, and more of a mix toward a true MMO. There's no right or wrong to that either... some players like you may not want it, but that does NOT mean everyone thinks so. There are other players who want to see this new mix of MMO.

Just because I prefer solo-able content doesn't mean I don't regularly enjoy group content.

If I did want to raid I sure as fuck wouldn't come to an ARPG.

Anyway, interest in the game is fading, and not really because of this. I think I'm just bored of it so I'm not worried about it.

sophora

GameOgre came through and sent me a Random Hero Box code in my PMs. Was around page 30 for that thread for the giveaway, thinking they're doing waves of messages to folks who replied to that thread. Opened my box right away and got Colossus, great since I don't really have tank characters besides Thor. I hear Colossus is quite good though.

GameOgre came through and sent me a Random Hero Box code in my PMs. Was around page 30 for that thread for the giveaway, thinking they're doing waves of messages to folks who replied to that thread. Opened my box right away and got Colossus, great since I don't really have tank characters besides Thor. I hear Colossus is quite good though.

Nice.

I probably should have signed up and left a comment in there while the thread was still open.

I think that website spams you though. I skipped that one

After the last BOGO and the last two batches of splinters I've spent, I only need Black Widow now to complete my full house, so I'm not too worried about the free boxes. Should have the splinters for Widow in a week or so.

Carm

Alright, a couple of questions about some items picked up.

Alex William's Mohawk Hair Gel: It says I can either donate or sell, is there no other non listed purpose of this item? I'm assuming I should just donate.

Sentinel Parts: I have enough pars to make 4 Mini-Sentinels. Again this has no other purpose other than sell/donate or use in the crafting of the artifact? Is the artifact that requires it and additional parts worth crafting at least one to hang on to and donate the other Mini-Sentinels?

Edit: Also, is there any reason to keep low level Uniques that are already bound to a character, when you have that same Unique at a higher Item level? Same goes for Uniques at same item level any reason to keep both if they are already bound?

Finally got Spidey to 60, I swear it felt like 50-60 was longer than 10 levels, compared to previous leveling. I just did the legendary quests over and over.

antonz

Alright, a couple of questions about some items picked up.

Alex William's Mohawk Hair Gel: It says I can either donate or sell, is there no other non listed purpose of this item? I'm assuming I should just donate.

Sentinel Parts: I have enough pars to make 4 Mini-Sentinels. Again this has no other purpose other than sell/donate or use in the crafting of the artifact? Is the artifact that requires it and additional parts worth crafting at least one to hang on to and donate the other Mini-Sentinels?

Edit: Also, is there any reason to keep low level Uniques that are already bound to a character, when you have that same Unique at a higher Item level? Same goes for Uniques at same item level any reason to keep both if they are already bound?

Finally got Spidey to 60, I swear it felt like 50-60 was longer than 10 levels, compared to previous leveling. I just did the legendary quests over and over.

Hair gel is just a rare loot drop thtas meant to be donated if you need to level the crafter/enchanter. If the vendors are done can just sell it for money.

mini-Sentinels are basically the same. The item you can get really isn't that great so if you need to level enchanter or crafter best to donate. 25,000 xp is a huge chunk for each one.

Uniques you may as well keep because if you get 3,4 or 5 of each you can trade them in for another random unique or can do the 3,4 or 5 for cash or runes

Carm

Hair gel is just a rare loot drop thtas meant to be donated if you need to level the crafter/enchanter. If the vendors are done can just sell it for money.

mini-Sentinels are basically the same. The item you can get really isn't that great so if you need to level enchanter or crafter best to donate. 25,000 xp is a huge chunk for each one.

Uniques you may as well keep because if you get 3,4 or 5 of each you can trade them in for another random unique or can do the 3,4 or 5 for cash or runes

Thank you.

Top Bottom