• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

garath

Got my Panther to 60 over the weekend and started on Scarlet Witch. She's at 47 now.

Is it just me or is Scarlet, umm, not really that great? I thought I'd read before she was a beast, but while she's really good on mobs, her single-target DPS and boss ability is seriously bad. I struggle in Green Terminals, and this is right off the back of my BP play-through where I could solo Red Terminals without breaking a sweat.

Tried a couple of builds now, and started getting pissed off last night at level 45 when I was dying multiple times on Kingpin Green Terminal, so I hit up Marvelbase and used one of the popular builds, but she still feels squishy and useless against bosses.

Pretty much using all the recommended Artifacts too.

Guess what I'm asking is that the general consensus? She's great on mobs, useless on bosses/terms?

EDIT: 2 Birthday cakes and counting.

I gave up in Scarlett witch around level 20. She was the weakest I've leveled so far :( gambit and psylocke mow through mobs in comparison. Maybe she's a really really late game beast.

Got my psylocke to 33 now. Fastest I've leveled one so far. She's really good.

LuuKyK

Omega System sounded really interesting in theory, but its actually quite bland imo. I mean, you need a thousand points to unlock a hex that gives you something like +10 str. lol Just doesnt seem worth the effort really.

I gave up in Scarlett witch around level 20. She was the weakest I've leveled so far :( gambit and psylocke mow through mobs in comparison. Maybe she's a really really late game beast.

Got my psylocke to 33 now. Fastest I've leveled one so far. She's really good.

Hmmm, there ya go.
And Psylocke and Gambit were my last two level 60's before Black Panther too, so they definitely seem a lot more beasty in comparison. Like you say, even they mow through mobs better than Scarlet Witch. Black Panther has better AoE than Scarlet and he's then got the amaaaazing single-target DPS on top of that.

SW just seems like she's looooong overdue a 52 review.

garath

Hmmm, there ya go.
And Psylocke and Gambit were my last two level 60's before Black Panther too, so they definitely seem a lot more beasty in comparison. Like you say, even they mow through mobs better than Scarlet Witch. Black Panther has better AoE than Scarlet and he's then got the amaaaazing single-target DPS on top of that.

I have a 33 black panther too and he was stronger as well.

Scarlett witch just seemed to be lackluster in damage the whole way through. Something like the VIP helicopter level in the holo Sim was impossible. She didn't even have enough DPS to kill the elites. Her DoTs do like 300 a tick compared to gambit, psylocke and BP doing 800-1200 a tick at the same level. Not to mention their very strong basic attack.

Maybe I just focused on the wrong skills. I tried a few guides and just didn't enjoy her :(

Blank!

Got my Panther to 60 over the weekend and started on Scarlet Witch. She's at 47 now.

Is it just me or is Scarlet, umm, not really that great? I thought I'd read before she was a beast, but while she's really good on mobs, her single-target DPS and boss ability is seriously bad. I struggle in Green Terminals, and this is right off the back of my BP play-through where I could solo Red Terminals without breaking a sweat.

Tried a couple of builds now, and started getting pissed off last night at level 45 when I was dying multiple times on Kingpin Green Terminal, so I hit up Marvelbase and used one of the popular builds, but she still feels squishy and useless against bosses.

Pretty much using all the recommended Artifacts too.

Guess what I'm asking is that the general consensus? She's great on mobs, useless on bosses/terms?

EDIT: 2 Birthday cakes and counting.

Scarlet Witch's only real problem is that her "good" single target spec requires a largely different gear set than her AoE set. You need a decent amount of attack speed gear, spirit management gear, and NON-area damage (so no Doc Ock arms) to make her single target spec work effectively. You're also much more squishy and need to rely on quick movement to avoid big damage.

Alternatively, you need NO (or less) attack speed, very little spirit management, and as much +area damage as you can get to make her Chaos Warp build work. You are not squishy however and can "face tank" a surprising amount of damage (especially when combined with invul/medkit core).

A hybrid build does exist that doesn't really place much emphasis on one or the other, but doesn't really excel in either area in that case. That said, she's kind of beast when fully decked out. There was that cosmic Kurse contest and I was pretty consistently speed running at 1:40 to 2:30 depending on how Kurse rolled.

All that said, I've heard from more than a few people that she sucks to level up. She was my first 60 though, and my experience back then is way different than now. Hawkeye was my most hellish levelup (done pre-52 rework) and that shit sucked.

Scarlet Witch's only real problem is that her "good" single target spec requires a largely different gear set than her AoE set. You need a decent amount of attack speed gear, spirit management gear, and NON-area damage (so no Doc Ock arms) to make her single target spec work effectively. You're also much more squishy and need to rely on quick movement to avoid big damage.

Alternatively, you need NO (or less) attack speed, very little spirit management, and as much +area damage as you can get to make her Chaos Warp build work. You are not squishy however and can "face tank" a surprising amount of damage (especially when combined with invul/medkit core).

A hybrid build does exist that doesn't really place much emphasis on one or the other, but doesn't really excel in either area in that case. That said, she's kind of beast when fully decked out. There was that cosmic Kurse contest and I was pretty consistently speed running at 1:40 to 2:30 depending on how Kurse rolled.

All that said, I've heard from more than a few people that she sucks to level up. She was my first 60 though, and my experience back then is way different than now. Hawkeye was my most hellish levelup (done pre-52 rework) and that shit sucked.

I have tried both specific builds and settled on the AoE build at the moment, and done all my artifact speccing based on this choice, but I still don't see the beast mode that a lot of people talk about when referring to SW. That said, hopping on the official forums, there seems to be a bit of a "nerfing?" idea going around since the 2015 patch, so who knows, maybe she's different now?

Anyway, it was more of a question of finding out whether others have had similar experiences in build disparity, and it seems like, as you have mentioned, there's an AoE way to go and a single-target way to go.

I'm probably not terribly happy with either and there have been many better options in my recent experience, but nonetheless, I'll get her to 60 because I'm OCD lol, but I'll probably just stick to rerolling MM LQs to get her there and forget about Terminals and bosses.

KePoW

Banned
Hmmm, there ya go.

I have a 33 black panther too and he was stronger as well.

Scarlett witch just seemed to be lackluster in damage the whole way through. Something like the VIP helicopter level in the holo Sim was impossible. She didn't even have enough DPS to kill the elites. Her DoTs do like 300 a tick compared to gambit, psylocke and BP doing 800-1200 a tick at the same level. Not to mention their very strong basic attack.

Maybe I just focused on the wrong skills. I tried a few guides and just didn't enjoy her :(

To add to what Blank said, I just tried SW in some terminals. I have not played her in at least 3 to 4 months.

I had no problems doing Reds. I did notice she is not the absolute fastest at killing single-targets (I'm running hybrid build), but I was never in danger of dying and killing speed was at least average.

And my SW has no Legendary item and no Blessings. Her gear is not even average, I'd say it's sub-par.

But like Blank said, I got her to 60 at launch and have never prestiged her, so I have no idea what leveling her is like. These are the powers I have maxed:

Combusting Hex
Chaotic Hex
Ruinous Flux
Chaos Warp
Obfuscation
Chaos Magic
Ravenous Binding

(plus some other 1-point powers)

To add to what Blank said, I just tried SW in some terminals. I have not played her in at least 3 to 4 months.

I had no problems doing Reds. I did notice she is not the absolute fastest at killing single-targets (I'm running hybrid build), but I was never in danger of dying and killing speed was at least average.

And my SW has no Legendary item and no Blessings. Her gear is not even average, I'd say it's sub-par.

But like Blank said, I got her to 60 at launch and have never prestiged her, so I have no idea what leveling her is like. These are the powers I have maxed:

Combusting Hex
Chaotic Hex
Ruinous Flux
Chaos Warp
Obfuscation
Chaos Magic
Ravenous Binding

(plus some other 1-point powers)

Same powers for me on this AoE build - the only difference is I've picked Bewitching Hex this roll, rather than Chaotic Hex as I was finding spirit drain pretty high in my 30-38's with her.

If you're running her now and she's doing fine in Red Terminals though, it does bode well for lvl 60 I guess, but damned if she doesn't feel pretty worthless right now at 47.

I find it odd that people find SW weak. Are you guys leaving out Hex Binding? Should be using that, Ravenous, Combusting and Chaos Warp (with Ruinous Flux up). Wrecks everything including bosses. With the extra points we got now you can spec into Chaotic Hex for when bosses don't have adds to speed kills up even more.

I find it odd that people find SW weak. Are you guys leaving out Hex Binding? Should be using that, Ravenous, Combusting and Chaos Warp (with Ruinous Flux up). Wrecks everything including bosses. With the extra points we got now you can spec into Chaotic Hex for when bosses don't have adds to speed kills up even more.

Using Bewildering Hex in place of Hex Binding this time around.

Again, maybe it's a difference in levels up to 60, but I'm just not finding her anything impressive at the moment at level 47. Especially in comparison to the toons I've leveled recently.

I got a friend of mine into Marvel Heroes and he picked Daredevil but he's not enjoying the character at all. He just hit level 30 and had enough splinters to get a random hero and got Daredevil again haha. I'm new to the game too so only really know Luke Cage so far, any advice on what skills to put points in and how to use Daredevil I could pass on to him to make Daredevil a more enjoyable character for leveling? I don't really even know what Daredevil's reputation as a character is, good/bad/boring/hard to level/whatever.

KePoW

Banned
I got a friend of mine into Marvel Heroes and he picked Daredevil but he's not enjoying the character at all. He just hit level 30 and had enough splinters to get a random hero and got Daredevil again haha. I'm new to the game too so only really know Luke Cage so far, any advice on what skills to put points in and how to use Daredevil I could pass on to him to make Daredevil a more enjoyable character for leveling? I don't really even know what Daredevil's reputation as a character is, good/bad/boring/hard to level/whatever.

Dang that's bad luck for your friend. Just like me, I have terrible luck in this game.

I'll let others give DD advice because I don't play him, but he's considered a good character at this time.

I looooooved Daredevil.

Struggled with him a little bit early on, but once you get used to keeping his combo bar up (and having patience to only use your finishers and stuff when it's fully charged) he's a beast.

I used something similar to this obviously with the extra points you now have available rolled into the 10 pointers shown here. And I had maxed Rebounding Club as well.

Considering he's one of my least hyped Marvel characters, he's been one of my favourites in MH.

Blank!

Using Bewildering Hex in place of Hex Binding this time around.

Again, maybe it's a difference in levels up to 60, but I'm just not finding her anything impressive at the moment at level 47. Especially in comparison to the toons I've leveled recently.

There's little reason to NOT take all DoT powers on the vast majority of heroes. Applying as many layers of damage as possible on top of your main spender is generally the "go to" method of playing heroes in this game. At least if you're trying to squeeze out as much damage as possible.

Also for the vast majority of heroes, if you aren't "required" to take a basic, it's preferable than maxing one... especially Bewildering Hex. A 25% medkit core, river of soul runeword, some +spirit on kill/punisher synergy can go a long way to avoiding having to buy a basic. Even still, I would invest in the starter basic before Bewildering. Better damage overall and your spirit regen proc from chaos magic +innate spirit regen will get you up where you need to be just fine.

Teggy

Traded in my first cake tonight. When I saw how much that stack was worth I had a serious thought about donating to the crafter.

Sblargh

Banned
Got Emma Frost as a random hero today. :)

But looking at her ree, it looks funny, maybe it will make more sense actually playing, but the idea is to go back and forth from diamond form or to build focusing on either diamond form or mental powers while ignoring the other side?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i see they pulled the plug on the cakes tonight out of the blue. exploit probably?

Ploid 3.0

Got Emma Frost as a random hero today. :)

But looking at her ree, it looks funny, maybe it will make more sense actually playing, but the idea is to go back and forth from diamond form or to build focusing on either diamond form or mental powers while ignoring the other side?

Emma is my favorite, I don't touch Diamond side though. I use the sprint knee thing, and the near last diamond ability (1 point for the passive that is attached to the ability). Dots, single target, pet tank that allow you to stack +damage on enemies that aren't attacking you, invisibility to drop aggro, and so on. She has it good.

shock33

I was about 70 short of a single cake, I like* those people on the forums boasting at getting 15 cakes, that's 5500(ish) pieces!

*detest

Sblargh

Banned
Damn, this game is good. Them legendary quests; they just made grinding fun. In a lot of ways this is what I expect from a MMO. I don't know how is the endgame content and I really don't care. I have Scarlet Witch, Spiderman and now Emma Frost waiting for that journey to level 60.

I'm trying to get to 60 with Daredevil now just to open lvl 60 stuff in case I want to do them, but I plan on caring less about max lvling people and just alternate between heroes forever - and ever- and eveeer.

Ploid 3.0

Wow didn't notice the cakes were stopped. I finished one and was close to a second. I only farmed in Midtown as I tried to do daily and legendary quests. Oh wells.

Dec

The event will come back next weekend, and the exploit will be fixed. If there was no exploit the event would have ran until the next patch.

Looks like the event did come down 30 minutes before schedule though.

Edit: I finished two cakes though and am saving them since I don't need the gear on the heroes I play, and have like 8 daily bonus shared quest chests waiting for SS.

garath

i see they pulled the plug on the cakes tonight out of the blue. exploit probably?

God dammit. People suck. I have 358 slices lol.

I obviously don't play as much as others. This will be my first cake crafting, though I still have the cake from Stan Lee. No level 60 yet. Gambit will probably be my first 60 and I already have a lot of uniques for him thanks to the level "20" unique box which dumped out level 60 uniques.

On the bright side, I got Psylocke to 33 last night. She is POTENT! She had a strong 1-10, a pretty weak 11-20, the 20s were better but then once I got Katana typhoon to go with Psionic Vortex, she just opened up. Then getting psi thrust kind of put the icing on the cake.

I've replaced my basic attack with psi-strike and I generally get to burn through my spirit by vortex, psi assault, falling lotus strike, katana typhoon. Then I can psi-strike things to death while my spirit regens. That combo is enough to kill all but the strongest elites though. Things die in seconds. Originally her AoE wasn't as good as Gambits but once I got vortex working for me it has been money.

The only complaint I have is her skills seem to have a pretty big delay attached to them. Often for no discernible reason. Like when I vortex in, I try to psi assault then falling lotus strike and it's janky and delayed. She's the worst one in this regards I've played so far. It should be much smoother and transition better. It may just be falling lotus strike. It seems to take a second to cast regardless. Oh well. I've been working around it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
God dammit I hate "like" promotions.

edit: HAHA I GOT MY CODE AND THEN UNLIKED YOU, FUCK THE POLICE #YOLO

Ploid 3.0

Yeah a few of her animations are long and not cancelable. I really hate using decoy with the flip because I'm stuck doing that elaborate flip animation which shoots me a good distance. I wish she just did a bit of a jaunt or quick dash away from the decoy instead. She also have low cast speed so that can factor in too.

Sorry for the double post but I think this is worth it.

New random hero giveaway

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Soft...Box-Codes-for-Marvel-Heroes-2015-446920.shtml

Needs facebook. I just got a key.

Nice thanks man

madpeon

Any chance somebody could snag me an extra key? Facebook is a restricted site at work :(.

Edit: Nevermind, my wife was able to grab me a code.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
man, this game is not optimized for Mac yet... the game runs considerably better on my W7 partition than it does on my OSX os. really hoping it improves with time, as i hate switching back and forth.

Woohoo, I got Ms. Marvel!

fingers crossed for her or Black Panther!

Sblargh

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. Since I gave up facebook, not only my overall quality of life has improved, as it is essentially a "like" bot for things that demand it.

Edit: Got Hawkeye! :) now to start immense internal debate as to wheter or not buy Kate Bishop's costume.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Doomsaw: "we don't believe in 'too much fun'"

"shit people are getting too many uniques, shut it all down!"

fuck. As a person who didn't exploit, I'm not a happy camper.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Doomsaw: "we don't believe in 'too much fun'"

"shit people are getting too many uniques, shut it all down!"

fuck. As a person who didn't exploit, I'm not a happy camper.

It was an outrageous exploit that had to be fixed. And they are bringing the event back in a week or two.

Regarding my hero box, I'm at work but I'm really hoping for Ghost Rider, as he's the only 600 splinter hero I don't have. Any non-dupe would of course be appreciated, and I wouldn't be sad at all about Colossus, Psylocke, or Thor.

LuuKyK

sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif

Shit. I got Cable. Oh well, it was free so I cant complain. At least its someone I didn't own.

Top Bottom