• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Blank!

So, reading the thread for awhile, I kept seeing people mention blender, new costumes etc. Finally got crafter to level 20 and understand now. I have 4 extra costumes currently so figured I'd try, thankfully no bad luck on first time, got Ms. Marvel Binary Costume. No other purpose for dupe costumes, besides doing this right?

Not really, unless you want to keep a different set of costume affix's on one (one damage focused, one defense focused).

Lord Phol

Doomsaw is being Doomsaw:

Teasaw said:
Does anyone know who this hero is and could you give me some background details on them?

Marvel-Comics-X-Men-Sunspot-Designs.jpg

Something to do with the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil? For those that don't know that is Sunspot (Roberto Da Costa) who happens to be Brazilian.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
not gonna lie, little tired of Doomsaw's trolling

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I love it. It keeps me entertained even if it doesn't lead to immediate surprise releases.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
not gonna lie, little tired of Doomsaw's trolling

It is getting a little old. Maybe make sure the last thing you teased actually happened (SS) before starting not 1 but 2 new troll/tease threads. Especially after the shitty way they shut down the cake event. I know it's coming back, but man. So far, outside of the freebies, big 10 was a way better event than anything this month in terms of feeling like all the time spent in-game was super rewarding.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It is getting a little old. Maybe make sure the last thing you teased actually happened (SS) before starting not 1 but 2 new troll/tease threads. Especially after the shitty way they shut down the cake event. I know it's coming back, but man. So far, outside of the freebies, big 10 was a way better event than anything this month in terms of feeling like all the time spent in-game was super rewarding.

I know free is free, so any complaints are null and void on principle...

...but after the hype died down, I thought the whole 365 gifts thing ended up a bit lackluster tbh. Stash tab and Punisher tab were nice, but the rest was all a bunch of shit we get on a regular basis anyway. Maybe they just hyped it too much I dunno

Like I said, free is free, but...yeah

Dec

I know free is free, so any complaints are null and void on principle...

...but after the hype died down, I thought the whole 365 gifts thing ended up a bit lackluster tbh. Stash tab and Punisher tab were nice, but the rest was all a bunch of shit we get on a regular basis anyway. Maybe they just hyped it too much I dunno

Like I said, free is free, but...yeah

I think the gifts were fine, I've been more disappointed with the pacing of it I guess. There have been large gaps in between events where there's nothing going on in-game.

This probably has to do with Surfer being delayed so week 2 was kind of barren. With the release of SS, big 10 (hopefully) and achievements, I think it'll get back on track.

Rhaknar

big 10 is deffinately coming back then? I missed the first one when I was taking a break from the game

(although to be fair I dont have anything to buy anyway, first world problems)

Dec

big 10 is deffinately coming back then? I missed the first one when I was taking a break from the game

(although to be fair I dont have anything to buy anyway, first world problems)

No not definitely. Looking at that teaser it seems likely to me, but could be something else for sure.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They shut down the cake event? I haven't had time to play for a few days, so I'm kind of out of the loop.

They turned it off while they fix a pretty massive exploit, and will bring it back later.

garath

Not sure how it happened but I had 358 cake slices in my inventory before they shut off the event. Then yesterday I took a look and had exactly 365. Gaz being nice? My brain not working? 365 exactly is very strange.

Volimar

Not sure how it happened but I had 358 cake slices in my inventory before they shut off the event. Then yesterday I took a look and had exactly 365. Gaz being nice? My brain not working? 365 exactly is very strange.

Weren't we getting 10 slices a day as a log in gift?

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
I think it's great when they release stuff unexpectedly but if we get a Sunspot TU before any of the advanced pack team-ups I'll be a little annoyed.

LuuKyK

I have something like 340 splinters after buying Invisible Woman. I am really close to buying Black Widow. Should I? Or maybe wait till I reach 400 to buy Ms. Marvel? Help pls. Need opinions on this life threatening matter.

Volimar

I have something like 340 splinters after buying Invisible Woman. I am really close to buying Black Widow. Should I? Or maybe wait till I reach 400 to buy Ms. Marvel? Help pls. Need opinions on this life threatening matter.

Let RNGesus be your guide. Buy a random hero box.

I think it's funny that we've gotten to a point where despite there being an event going on, people are actually disappointed with their level of excitement while playing the game. Gaz has really spoiled people too much and they may be getting to a point where they can't maintain the high without going into ridiculous territory. Note that this is nothing against you guys (or the playerbase in general). It's Gaz that's overextending themselves here.

Ms. M for sure.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I try to be cognizant of that, but the difference between playing when there's an event on like Odin's Bounty, or Don't Fear the Reaper, and when there isn't is pretty huge. But fortunately they've built the game so there's always something to do that feels rewarding, like LQs or shared quests, even if drop rates themselves are kind of bad outside of events these days.

parasight

I'm around 400 too, but I'm thinking about just buying a Team Up hero since I'm pretty happy with my roster right now and I don't have a Team Up yet. Any suggestions on which one to get? I primarily use Storm.

Volimar

I'm around 400 too, but I'm thinking about just buying a Team Up hero since I'm pretty happy with my roster right now and I don't have a Team Up yet. Any suggestions on which one to get? I primarily use Storm.

I bought the spiderman team up, and he's pretty good.

I hope Surfer is good because he's the first hero I plan to cosmic prestige. I mean, how can you not cosmic prestige the man who wields the power cosmic?!

garath

I think it's funny that we've gotten to a point where despite there being an event going on, people are actually disappointed with their level of excitement while playing the game. Gaz has really spoiled people too much and they may be getting to a point where they can't maintain the high without going into ridiculous territory. Note that this is nothing against you guys (or the playerbase in general). It's Gaz that's overextending themselves here.

Ms. M for sure.

Well as essentially an outsider looking in (since I just started playing about a week before the anniversary hit), a big portion of the draw of the game and their game income itself revolves around events. I have two general stash tabs, 1 character only and one crafting. One is almost completely filled with "event" type items and currencies. Research drives, birthday slices, rainbows, everything. It's nuts. The inventory management largely revolves around handling all these specific things. People log in and play for the events. I haven't gotten to 60 yet but there doesn't seem to be a ton of compelling post 60 content except for the events. Sure there's cosmic terminals and now raids but it's a loot game at the heart of it and getting birthday cakes and fortune cards and boosts for rare and special item finds are a big part of the draw to keep playing and buying stashes and boosts and stuff.

I think it's fun, but I think they've committed to being that sort of game where there's always something going on - like an MMO. It keeps people playing, collecting items, doing daily quests, buying boosts and stash tabs and socializing (further cementing their desire to log on).

LuuKyK

Let RNGesus be your guide. Buy a random hero box.

-.-

How dare you suggest something like that! I've been there, and getting a dupe is certainly not something I want to re-experience.

Ms. M for sure.

Tbh, when I really think about it, she does seem more worth buying them BW, but still, both look cool. I guess I am gonna go with Ms. M though, people have been saying she is a great character.

I really couldn't care less about team-up tbh. They don't seem to be that useful, and none of the current TU appeal to me, so I will keep spending my hard earned splinters on playable characters I think. :p

KePoW

Banned
I think it's fun, but I think they've committed to being that sort of game where there's always something going on - like an MMO. It keeps people playing, collecting items, doing daily quests, buying boosts and stash tabs and socializing (further cementing their desire to log on).

But here's the thing though, and why I 100% agree with Frostinferno --

What other MMO regularly gives such a large amount of free stuff and events? I certainly cannot think of any. D2/D3/PoE sure as heck don't (and I don't consider ladders to be special events).

WoW has a lot of calendar events throughout the year, but they certainly aren't just giving away a bunch of items for free, and they don't do server-side XP boosts.

I mean really, what MMOs give away so much stuff for free all the time?

Honestly I think Gaz has given away *TOO* much and too often, and their players are way too spoiled now.

Vecks

I think the main things to consider when getting a team up are damage type and whether they are ranged/melee.

Someone has mentioned that corresponding damage types will get greater benefit, so if you are using Storm, which is energy, an energy type like Firestar would be more suitable as Firestar will be able to do more damage. However Firestar is the only energy type at the moment, and is 600 splinters, so you might consider getting one of the cheaper ones for now, while hoping/waiting for a cheaper energy type to be released.

There's also the ranged/melee aspect of it. This won't really matter as much at lower levels. But it's my opinion that, especially in tougher content, melee types are better used for their passives. If you plan on using them more as a constant companion, a ranged team up will usually last longer in combat, unless of course you are playing a stealthy/invis hero, in which case it really wouldn't matter.

garath

What other MMO regularly gives such a large amount of free stuff and events? I certainly cannot think of any. D2/D3/PoE sure as heck don't (and I don't consider ladders to be special events).

WoW has a lot of calendar events throughout the year, but they certainly aren't just giving away a bunch of items for free, and they don't do server-side XP boosts.

Honestly I think Gaz has given away *TOO* much and too often, and their players are way too spoiled now.

True. I know I'm feeling pretty spoiled by the free hero boxes. I've legitimately bought 3 heroes and picked the starter - but I've gotten 4 more free from giveaways. Makes it hard to think about buying more :p

Dec

Legendary items drop very often in D3, more often than uniques in MH, and were recently buffed for a week and then kept as a permanent buff after people asked.

Events are not them giving anything away, and I don't think we should treat them as Gaz doing favors for us. Their goal is to make people log in as often as possible.

KePoW

Banned
Events are not them giving anything away, and I don't think we should treat them as Gaz doing favors for us. Their goal is to make people log in as often as possible.

MH events do give stuff away, like all those daily login gifts at times, and server-side XP/RIF/SIF boosts. Free heroes (and quite a large number of those).

That's not normal.

When I first started playing the game, I certainly never expected to be completely gifted 8+ free heroes in a *F2P* game where you're supposed to buy them.

I guess it's all opinions, but I think Gaz has given away too much and warped players' perspectives.

Dec

MH events do give stuff away, like all those daily login gifts at times, and server-side XP/RIF/SIF boosts. Free heroes (and quite a large number of those).

That's not normal.

When I first started playing the game, I certainly never expected to be completely gifted 8+ free heroes in a *F2P* game where you're supposed to buy them.

I guess it's all opinions, but I think Gaz has given away too much and warped players' perspectives.

Daily log in gifts entice players to log in everyday, player retention is something the investors want to see high.

Free heroes are not really for us. They are advertising. The sites with the keys get new members signing up, which means their site is larger, more people find out about MH and have an easier time getting into the game because of a larger starting cast.

Severside buffs cost them nothing and people may be more likely to try the game when they see these buffs active.

Top Bottom