• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

the "get key" button does nothing when I click on it.

Edit: nevermind it just didn't look like it was doing anything.

I may have accidentally gotten an extra key. I can't tell if it's the same or different than the one I already used. Quote to see

garath

I may have accidentally gotten an extra key. I can't tell if it's the same or different than the one I already used. Quote to see

Pretty sure it'll be the same key as you already had. They are tied into an account.

I had a few windows open trying to get the "get key" button to do anything. They finally came back and were the same key.

liezryou

Can't get through :(.

Lol on the first page of the marvel forums: "Cool! I've got lots of extras and will trade for gameogre, tentonhammer, massively wave 2, or gamerfrotage.com keys." What an asshole.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah I still can't get through to register. Sigh.

Xetherion

The key is already redeemed, thanks though. I'm currently stuck at work where that site is blocked, if anyone does get an extra key they could PM to me that would be awesome.

Drayco21

Managed to get through to register, filled everything out, got 504'd. At least it'll be hard for people to stockpile 20-30 of these codes before anyone else can get them.

Edit: got through, it said there were a few hundred keys left. The get key button wouldn't do anything. Refreshed, now there's only four keys left, button still not doing anything. "Why must we suffer for our cause"?

Dec

I managed to get one for me and my wife but with giveaways requiring email sign ups it's a bit hard to get more than that before it all goes to shit.

I got Loki, though. Pretty happy with that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah apparently it's done. Well poop on that.

Dec

Very nice to see this.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/104702/giveaway-codes-and-you

Sounds a little like they are planning to have some strictly new player giveaways:

Giveaways are important to Marvel Heroes 2015 in that they get the word out about the game to new players and news sites, but we aren't stopping our current players from taking part at this time

Cake:

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/104720/return-of-the-cake

The cake event will be returning this weekend with some minor tweaks.

We wanted to do it for the end of the month event, but we have so much going on then, that we didn't want the cakes to get lost in the shuffle.

Suffice to say, you're going to be pretty excited for the end of the month event.

Dec

Dammit... wasn't able to get in on time. Around which level do you get 175 splinters? I currently have like 110 at level 13.

Probably around 7-10 per hour with 100 being rewarded the first time you beat Green Goblin and another 100 when you beat Doom. You'll probably have enough for one and be halfway to a second at level 25 or so which is where Doom is, if you have just focused doing story mode.

garath

Probably around 7-10 per hour with 100 being rewarded the first time you beat Green Goblin and another 100 when you beat Doom. You'll probably have enough for one and be halfway to a second at level 25 or so which is where Doom is, if you have just focused doing story mode.

Provided you actually do story mode lol.

I have characters of level 49, 38, 33, 25, 19, 15 and haven't even finished Chapter 1 on any of them. Whoops.

Dec

Provided you actually do story mode lol.

I have characters of level 49, 38, 33, 25, 19, 15 and haven't even finished Chapter 1 on any of them. Whoops.

I like the story mode personally and I think it's a shame the xp is as bad as it is.

garath

o_O I don't know what else to do besides story mode...

I'm usually doing Holosim until 20 then I move on to Legendary Quests. The LQs are fun in that they take you all sorts of places, including midtown which I find a lot of fun.

thats not the way a new player should play at all

Probably not. The anniversary requirement of a level 30 made me want to level as quick as possible but then once I realized how bad the story xp was in comparison I haven't felt a desire to play it with any new characters :(

Legendary Quests are pretty fun though. They're nice bite sized slices of game that fit my on/off schedule pretty well.

I'll go back to it eventually.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fair enough, the current rush to 30 is an exception.

but I still think a new player should do the story mode(s) at least once to get familiar with the game and whatnot

KePoW

Banned
Daily log in gifts entice players to log in everyday, player retention is something the investors want to see high.

Free heroes are not really for us. They are advertising. The sites with the keys get new members signing up, which means their site is larger, more people find out about MH and have an easier time getting into the game because of a larger starting cast.

Severside buffs cost them nothing and people may be more likely to try the game when they see these buffs active.

I'm not talking about physical cost to Gaz. Obviously that's nothing when it's just server-side toggles and generating virtual keys.

I'm just talking from a game design perspective. I'm honestly curious what are you suggesting? That they do (for example)... the crazy Big-10 buffs literally every single day forever? Give away free heroes every single week?

I mean to me that would be crazy. Where does it stop?

Let me ask you something else... how come no other game does this? Lots of people can be armchair game designers, but when the vast majority of MMOs and online games don't do examples like above, shouldn't that tell you something?

Maybe I'm jumping to assumptions about your ideas, but what exactly do you want them to do? The Big-10 buffs were ridiculously over the top, I sure hope you don't expect that every day forever.

KePoW

Banned
Probably not. The anniversary requirement of a level 30 made me want to level as quick as possible but then once I realized how bad the story xp was in comparison I haven't felt a desire to play it with any new characters :(

Wait so you never even completely the Story once even on any character? You know you get a free 100/200 splinters for doing that?

garath

Wait so you never even completely the Story once even on any character? You know you get a free 100/200 splinters for doing that?

Yep. I know. Lol. I got the first 100 but haven't gotten the second yet. I keep meaning to go back and do it, if nothing else for the extra power points and flat health/spirit upgrades but it's kind of boring as a high level char running through it and every time I start a new character I'm more interested in getting them high as possible quickly as possible.

I just earned enough splinters for my second random box. That 100 will put me well on my way to the third.

I'll have a level 60 char before that happens though lol.

Dec

I'm not talking about physical cost to Gaz. Obviously that's nothing when it's just server-side toggles and generating virtual keys.

I'm just talking from a game design perspective. I'm honestly curious what are you suggesting? That they do (for example)... the crazy Big-10 buffs literally every single day forever? Give away free heroes every single week?

I mean to me that would be crazy. Where does it stop?

Let me ask you something else... how come no other game does this? Lots of people can be armchair game designers, but when the vast majority of MMOs and online games don't do examples like above, shouldn't that tell you something?

Maybe I'm jumping to assumptions about your ideas, but what exactly do you want them to do? The Big-10 buffs were ridiculously over the top, I sure hope you don't expect that every day forever.

What are you even talking about? I didn't say anything like you are saying.

Maybe don't answer that and we'll move on and save us all some time.

KePoW

Banned
What are you even talking about? I didn't say anything like you are saying.

Maybe don't answer that and we'll move on and save us all some time.

Well unless I completely mis-interpreted everything you said the past few posts, it sounds like you want Gaz to give away free stuff and have special boosts more often than they already do.

I'm saying they already have done those things way too much, and it should be less often.

That's all. But it does sound like we have a fundamental difference in game design philosophy, and maybe no more discussion is needed. I'm the type who prefers to work/grind at a game. Other people might want everything just given to them all the time.

(neither way is right or wrong, just a personal difference in philosophy)

Dec

Well unless I completely mis-interpreted everything you said the past few posts, it sounds like you want Gaz to give away free stuff and have special boosts more often than they already do.

I'm saying they already have done those things way too much, and it should be less often.

That's all. But it does sound like we have a fundamental difference in game design philosophy, and maybe no more discussion is needed. I'm the type who prefers to work/grind at a game. Other people might want everything just given to them all the time.

(neither way is right or wrong, just a personal difference in philosophy)

Nope. In one post I said the events were fine but week 2 was a bit barren because of SS delay. Not that I want more events, SS and the weekend cake would have been a great week. Post.

In the next two posts I was just trying to explain why Gaz does these events and promotions, not commenting on how often they should run. Post | Post

It's tedious explaining posts that are literally on this page.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
MJ_Popcorn.gif

anyway, this is the most important post of the week on the forums:

"I saw two people suggest / ask to have the roster UI (and other places) show a hero's currently equipped costume.

I wanted to let you know that the UI team has that fairly high on the to do list.

It requires new types of data to be sent to players, so it's not trivial, but it's definitely something that is on the list to get done after some higher priority work."

I want this so bad

Blank!

So, what is the best way to spend cube shards?

I posted about this earlier but in general:

Cosmic reroll recipe sucks, too much RNG but can randomly lead to silly things like double/triple affix's.

Ghost Boxes have horrible "common" loot but much more useful rare/epic loot.

Fortune cards are 99% boosts (YMMV with how useful the average boost is) and unless you value retcons, pets, or mark 1 costumes highly, the rare/epic loot kind of sucks.

4th option: save them in case they make them useful for something else.

Rhaknar

I thought he's coming out soon anyway? This makes it sound like it's not imminent?

I was just thinking that. The whole SS thing is a prime example of why most companies are NOT open with fans like Gaz is

KePoW

Banned
I was just thinking that. The whole SS thing is a prime example of why most companies are NOT open with fans like Gaz is

Yeah, if I was a dev I would not give out much information at all.

It just sets people's expectations too high.

I'm in sales for new homes, and we always know to never over-promise. Quickest way to get customers pissed off at you later on.

Top Bottom