• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Isn't the team-up hero just Future Foundation Doctor Doom? That would imply regular Doctor Doom is going to be released later, and it's just a white Doom in the pack.

It is a different team-up mechanically. Spider-Man and black Spider-Man are different (one is melee, one is ranged).

Lord Phol

It is a different team-up mechanically. Spider-Man and black Spider-Man are different (one is melee, one is ranged).

That's only for his auto-attack, everything else is exactly the same. From my own experience he dies just as fast so it makes no difference but a visual one. We will have to see with Doom though, but I reckon it'll be the same as with spidey.

Advance/Exclusive Content The unreleased and/or exclusive content such as the Future Foundation Dr. Doom Team-Up, iBoosts, and the Guardians of the Galaxy White Variant Armor for Iron Man will all be automatically granted when they are ready for the game (not yet determined). They are exclusively guaranteed in these packs, however they will be available to win in a special Fortune Card (or cards) planned for the future.

You'll still be able to luck out and get them later. Of course you'll have to go through the typical fortune card BS.

Sblargh

Banned
I wonder the correlation of people who buy these packs vs people who buys the same comic book multiple times because of alternative covers.

I wonder the correlation of people who buy these packs vs people who buys the same comic book multiple times because of alternative covers.

All the other packs are good deals, there's no way of denying that. I've got my money's worth of gameplay out of the Ultimate and Advance Packs.

Lord Phol

TC and storm review is up!

Edit. Well I was never much of a storm player but she's seems better in most regards. More choices in powers, visuals and sounds are a bit better (though still pretty boring and tame compared to other heroes). Don't think I will level her but the "wind/dot with a bit of lightning build" that I tried was pretty fun and efficient.

KePoW

Banned
I find their lack of a good engineering/bug-fixing team alot more annoying. Lots of promises and teasing with minimal delivering, there's always something that goes wrong

I think the game engine is fine and solid, don't really have any problems with it. What are you specifically referring to?

Lord Phol

I think the game engine is fine and solid, don't really have any problems with it. What are you specifically referring to?

The amount of bugs and problems that comes up with every patch and their inability to fix some of them. The engine itself is fine, it's just their engineering/programming team(s) that seems either inept or too few in numbers. Also how Gaz keeps gettings peoples hope up without actually being able to deliver most of them as described. It's great to build up some hype and it's fun to be teased but keep it on level that fits with what we are getting.

Another thing that is crazy is how there's only in guy riggin all skeletons, and sometimes they have to wait for him complete his backlog before they can release stuff.

The amount of bugs and problems that comes up with every patch and their inability to fix some of them. The engine itself is fine, it's just their engineering/programming team(s) that seems either inept or too few in numbers. Also how Gaz keeps gettings peoples hope up without actually being able to deliver most of them as described. It's great to build up some hype and it's fun to be teased but keep it on level that fits with what we are getting.

Another thing that is crazy is how there's only in guy riggin all skeletons, and sometimes they have to wait for him finnish his backlog before they can release stuff.

I think understaffing is a problem with all games of these types...personnel is a cost that never goes away.

Well, no one will be missing any unique drops any time soon

vugGmtM.jpg

Take that D3.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Just got a 3 splinter drop and artifact off a doop. Woot.

I love the GotG armour for Iron Man, looks great. I loved it in the comics too. Will never own it of course, as I have all the characters now and can't justify an extra pack, but I don't really care either.

Had a pretty cool run in Hood Terminal last night. Walked into the second room on the right to find TWO Doops! Which was crazy in itself as I'd never seen two together before - but then, walked into the left-hand side room before the stairs down and ANOTHER Doop! Three Doops in a single Terminal instance. Pretty crazy.

Had a 10 splinter drop off a Cosmic Doop in MM as well.

Good night for Dooping.

Got Loki to 60 and started leveling Ms. Marvel last night. She seems cool. So many passives though! Only using like 2 actual moves haha..

Carm

Another thing that is crazy is how there's only in guy riggin all skeletons, and sometimes they have to wait for him complete his backlog before they can release stuff.

I and a couple of friends I have playing now must be playing a different MH than you. MH runs like shit for being a UE3 game, though dunno if you can blame UE3. I have the worst computer out of the 3 of us, doesn't matter my settings, fps just dies in Midtown down to single digits during villian fights. If their is a Squirrel Girl around, and I happen to have settings on High. seconds go by before my screen has movement. Friends have much better comps and they get these massive slowdowns in Midtown as well.

Outside of Midtown, no matter what settings I have, there is a constant stutter while moving and fps drops. Even when alone in a terminal this stutter persists. No other UE3 game I've played has exhibited these issues. Doubt it's UE3 problem though, I just don't understand why this runs so damn bad no matter the settings.

Edit: Also, after playing a few hours, I usually have to close the game completely down and restart because they apparently have a memory leak. I seen posts on their forums complaining about that so I know it's not just me.

KePoW

Banned
I and a couple of friends I have playing now must be playing a different MH than you. MH runs like shit for being a UE3 game, though dunno if you can blame UE3. I have the worst computer out of the 3 of us, doesn't matter my settings, fps just dies in Midtown down to single digits during villian fights. If their is a Squirrel Girl around, and I happen to have settings on High. seconds go by before my screen has movement. Friends have much better comps and they get these massive slowdowns in Midtown as well.

Outside of Midtown, no matter what settings I have, there is a constant stutter while moving and fps drops. Even when alone in a terminal this stutter persists. No other UE3 game I've played has exhibited these issues. Doubt it's UE3 problem though, I just don't understand why this runs so damn bad no matter the settings.

I guess it's a different game than you then, because I don't have problems on my high-end desktop PC. Runs at 80+ fps majority of time, except some heavy Midtown fights where it goes into the 40s or 30s.

Now on my work laptop, it runs like complete dogshit even on Low settings...

But I can't blame the game for that, it's a mobile GPU

Dec

The engine is crap, though. Besides the memory leak and overall frame drops while using some powers, vsync option doesn't seem to work, changing particle resize and buffer options requires a restart to actually change, exit the game and change them on the log in screen and it will work, (change them, then open settings again, they change back) and the game uses a software mouse (hides your actual cursor and draws one on the screen, which is affected by frame drops, resulting in unresponsive mouse movements in frame dropping fights).

I also cannot set fullscreen windowed mode without a crash to black screen unless I edit an .ini. Mouse smoothing is also enabled by default in an ini with no in game option to disable it.

Well, no one will be missing any unique drops any time soon

vugGmtM.jpg

Take that D3.

D3 has very nearly the same thing, it's just a bit smaller. Very welcome change though.

KePoW

Banned
The engine is crap, though. Besides the memory leak and overall frame drops while using some powers, vsync option doesn't seem to work, changing particle resize and buffer options requires a restart to actually change, exit the game and change them on the log in screen and it will work, (change them, then open settings again, they change back) and the game uses a software mouse (hides your actual cursor and draws one on the screen, which is affected by frame drops, resulting in unresponsive mouse movements in frame dropping fights).

I also cannot set fullscreen windowed mode without a crash to black screen unless I edit an .ini. Mouse smoothing is also enabled by default in an ini with no in game option to disable it.

I've used borderless windowed ever since they officially made it an option, and no problems with it. I had to use INI hack before that but either way works for me.

There used to be a horrible memory leak around launch time, but that was fixed. There might still be slight ones now, but nothing that unusual. I have to restart every 3 to 4 hours, but otherwise no big frame drops before then.

The software mouse sucks balls, they should definitely change that. And mouse smoothing also sucks.

Dec

I've used borderless windowed ever since they officially made it an option, and no problems with it. I had to use INI hack before that but either way works for me.

There used to be a horrible memory leak around launch time, but that was fixed. There might still be slight ones now, but nothing that unusual. I have to restart every 3 to 4 hours, but otherwise no big frame drops before then.

The software mouse sucks balls, they should definitely change that. And mouse smoothing also sucks.

The borderless window crash happens when I'm in game in normal fullscreen and switch to that. I need to end the task, set the option in the ini then the game launches normally in borderless window. I don't usually play in that mode, but when I am doing a lot of alt tabbing it would be useful for it to not be so inconvenient.

The memory leak is still there, and even if it is every 3-4 hours it's still a problem.

They cannot change the software mouse because it is not supported in UE3. I have looked endlessly for a fix.

Dec

How much does disabling mouse smoothing help? I haven't tried that yet

A bit, I notice it most when donating or doing stuff with the crafter.

Though it would only help the mouse cursor issue marginally because it's dependent on framerate. If you are at 20fps all the time your cursor only moves at 20fps. Going to feel like crap no matter what you do. That is about where I get in a midtown boss fight when it's boosted. Just a regular boss fight is 30-50fps, which is still annoying to me personally.

I imagine this game is near unplayable if your PC is low spec. Or at least your in-game reaction time would suffer due to unreliable and slow mouse movements.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the memory leak is nowhere near fixed. the game engine is shit even with rigs that run much more demanding games maxed

also that new unique glow is amazing

Finaika

Though it would only help the mouse cursor issue marginally because it's dependent on framerate. If you are at 20fps all the time your cursor only moves at 20fps. Going to feel like crap no matter what you do. That is about where I get in a midtown boss fight when it's boosted. Just a regular boss fight is 30-50fps, which is still annoying to me personally.

I imagine this game is near unplayable if your PC is low spec. Or at least your in-game reaction time would suffer due to unreliable and slow mouse movements.

The software mouse in the game is horrible.

Why can't they change it.

KePoW

Banned

It is. Like I mentioned on my work laptop, the game is literally running 10 to 15 fps just sitting around doing nothing. So the mouse feels a lot worse and basically unplayable.

But fortunately my desktop PC runs the game at 80+ fps the vast majority of the time.

Sblargh

Banned
It is. Like I mentioned on my work laptop, the game is literally running 10 to 15 fps just sitting around doing nothing. So the mouse feels a lot worse and basically unplayable.

But fortunately my desktop PC runs the game at 80+ fps the vast majority of the time.

Imagine if it worked on your work laptop. You'd never work! Gazillion is doing you a solid there.

Dec

The software mouse in the game is horrible.

Why can't they change it.

UE3 only supports software mouse through a third party engine called Scaleform, which is used for UI elements in games. You might have noticed in other games using UE3 that the options menu has a similarly unresponsive mouse. Since it's an issue with the UI rendering, fps and tps shooters aiming mechanics aren't affected.

Re: that sweet Iron Man costume

Posted by Doomsaw on the Marvel Heroes subreddit

"Just FYI, this will also be in the Mac Fortune cards as well, which everyone will get a pack of when the Mac launches (and can buy more, obv), so we'll see who gets lucky."

A bit, I notice it most when donating or doing stuff with the crafter.

This is why I'll never raid until I upgrade my PC.

Dec

This is why I'll never raid until I upgrade my PC.

I don't really blame you. I've actually seen people go from the weakest link in any group content to up there with everyone else with no change besides a PC upgrade. To me that would be frustrating to the point of not playing anymore.

LuuKyK

Tried Storm 52 on TC. I loved the improvements they gave her. She was already pretty decent before the review, but the new look to the powers are very good addition. Her signature is awesome too.

I really like the Solid Snake Punisher costume...it's even nicer than the chase costume I've been using.

On a different note, looking for some game advice. I've been out of the game for a few months and felt a bit overwhelmed coming back. I'm trying to decide on a new "main" since I'm a bit burned out on Frank for now.

It comes down to two main choices:

1) Dr. Strange - I did the .ini hack to get the second toolbar available on a shift modifier, and that makes him much more manageable. He has a TON of useful abilities and a very active playstyle, which I enjoy. He has some wildly flashy skills which are sweet looking. I'm not too crazy about his character, since I'm not all that familiar with him (I've only recently come to know him a bit in New Avengers). He seems to be an AOE and damage monster, with survivability depending on an proactive use of his shield, teleport, and reflective barrier to stay alive. The hardest game content seems to favor ranged characters. Currently level 52.

2) Daredevil - My all-time favorite comic character. I wasn't very impressed with his game options at release, since he lacked damage, survivability, and flair. His updates have corrected all that. I LOVE the combo point system...reminds me a bit of playing a rogue on Warcraft, minus the level of detailed management. Easier, more "flowing" play style than most of my other characters. Significantly less skill spam needed as compared to Dr. Strange, which comes with pros and cons. He seems to have excellent damage from both an AOE and single target standpoint. He doesn't have a teleport, but with his passive he zoom zooms all over the screen. I love the acrobatics, slides, dives, etc. I usually gravitate towards melee characters in ARPGs and MMOs, despite some of their inherent disadvantages due to boss mechanics. Current level somewhere in the mid-30s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll utlimately probably level both to 60, but I'd like to focus on one from a gearing standpoint.

I don't really blame you. I've actually seen people go from the weakest link in any group content to up there with everyone else with no change besides a PC upgrade. To me that would be frustrating to the point of not playing anymore.

It's frustrating because I primarily game on my PC and play current games pretty well despite my aging rig. I just have an e8400 processor in there and this game just does not like that. Even running at the absolute lowest settings, playing at the lowest resolution, the frame rate is awful in populated areas like MM. I get the exact same performance regardless of settings. Yet my laptop which has an i5, but has onboard intel graphics and half the ram, has better performance.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
As an avowed Daredevil hater (in MH that is), I say Strange. But go with whoever you like, they are both totally viable. DD has some of the sickest single target burst potential in-game, and Strange has amazing AoE and good single target damage and is actually quite excellent at soloing cosmics, despite what some say.

And yes, I run MH on a decent enough rig that can handle other UE3 games with ease (like the Batman games), but struggles with MH. It's playable, but fps isn't great regardless of settings, and it has these weird hitches. I really wish it performed better.

garath

Yeah. It's not really an exaggeration to say the game is poorly optimized. It runs like a dog on my machine sometimes where I easily knock other games out of the park.

It's good enough though. Not every developer is going to be as skilled in that department.

KePoW

Banned
I will say one thing about performance that I forgot to mention.

There was a noticeable overall improvement since I switched the game installation to a full SSD drive.

Not sure if all of you have already installed it to a full SSD, but if not then try it.

(but it's not a fool-proof solution, because my work laptop is a SSD and the fps is still slow as shit)

Having not really played MH for the last few weeks, I was super happy tonight when I noticed that those hideously ugly and (previously) compulsory overhead health and spirit bars, had disappeared from my character in Midtown. I honestly thought Gaz would never address that issue, as it didnt seem to bother most people. It always annoyed me. lol
The game looks so much nicer and cleaner now.

As an avowed Daredevil hater (in MH that is), I say Strange. But go with whoever you like, they are both totally viable. DD has some of the sickest single target burst potential in-game, and Strange has amazing AoE and good single target damage and is actually quite excellent at soloing cosmics, despite what some say.

Appreciate the advice. Can you explain why you hate Daredevil? Game mechanics? Looks? I didn't care for him much at release, but he seems a lot more polished now.

Any other takes on the two characters would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has one (or both) of them at 60.

Top Bottom