• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I hate his combo mechanics. I don't like any of the finishers, I hate his stupid slide move opener, leaping assault is garbage, has bad tracking (always has) and just doesn't feel good. Street Sweeper is a bad clone of a Nightcrawler skill. I just find myself constantly staring at the combo points meter because I want to play efficiently and maximize my damage, but to do so requires a style of play on DD that I just can't stand.

Strange on the other hand also has a deep, unique mechanic that does not require you to constantly pay attention, though if you want to truly maximize DPS, rotations are important. However, if you just want to spam magic all the time, you can totally faceroll and do that and be pretty damn effective and look awesome doing so. They both have very active play styles, I just don't enjoy the key moves of DD's arsenal, it's all herky-jerky to me. But that is entirely personal preference, nothing to do with his effectiveness.

KePoW

Banned
Having not really played MH for the last few weeks, I was super happy tonight when I noticed that those hideously ugly and (previously) compulsory overhead health and spirit bars, had disappeared from my character in Midtown. I honestly thought Gaz would never address that issue, as it didnt seem to bother most people. It always annoyed me. lol
The game looks so much nicer and cleaner now.

Hmm I never noticed one way or another, but isn't there a setting for that in Options??

KePoW

Banned
Appreciate the advice. Can you explain why you hate Daredevil? Game mechanics? Looks? I didn't care for him much at release, but he seems a lot more polished now.

Any other takes on the two characters would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has one (or both) of them at 60.

I'm not totally discounting what Noray says, but honestly the best advice is to play them yourself.

I know plenty of people who love DD now after his major changes.

There are lots of characters that I love the playstyle, but other people hate. It's so fast to level to 60, so you might as well try them yourself.

I hate his combo mechanics. I don't like any of the finishers, I hate his stupid slide move opener, leaping assault is garbage, has bad tracking (always has) and just doesn't feel good. Street Sweeper is a bad clone of a Nightcrawler skill. I just find myself constantly staring at the combo points meter because I want to play efficiently and maximize my damage, but to do so requires a style of play on DD that I just can't stand.

Strange on the other hand also has a deep, unique mechanic that does not require you to constantly pay attention, though if you want to truly maximize DPS, rotations are important. However, if you just want to spam magic all the time, you can totally faceroll and do that and be pretty damn effective and look awesome doing so. They both have very active play styles, I just don't enjoy the key moves of DD's arsenal, it's all herky-jerky to me. But that is entirely personal preference, nothing to do with his effectiveness.

Thanks. I did notice the Street Sweeper seeming quite similar to Nightcrawler's AOE dash skill. I haven't had any difficulty with tracking combo points, though I have noticed hit box problems with his Jumping Strike ability. It seems like if an enemy moves even a slight amount, you're all but guaranteed to miss it. I wish they would have included a very small AOE component to it so it could still land.

Do you have any suggestions for Dr. Strange builds? Rotation advice? I'm basically running an incantation spam build which seems to be the norm. I'm actively using 6 different incantations, which seems like a lot. I'm also probably using them in a less than optimal rotation, which comes down to a spamfest from time to time.

I'm not totally discounting what Noray says, but honestly the best advice is to play them yourself.

I know plenty of people who love DD now after his major changes.

There are lots of characters that I love the playstyle, but other people hate. It's so fast to level to 60, so you might as well try them yourself.

Good call. I'll probably finish getting the Doc to 60, then give DD an honest college try. I suppose I can settle on the winner then.

garath

The marvel nvidia code is back on ebay for $12. I didn't purchase it myself but looks like the same exact seller that has been doing it for $15 for awhile.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Doomsaw'd

Hi everyone.

This weekend is the final weekend of our First Year Anniversary Month.

We would like to hold a little event to celebrate. We'll be announcing it at 9am Pacific tomorrow (June 26th).

In the meantime, you may want to clear your schedule and rest up so you can play from Friday morning until Monday night.

Hopefully, I can wait until tomorrow morning to announce it, but I am impatient.

Also, Beta Ray Bill is coming Friday!

Drayco21

All I see in that post is confirmation of Agent Venom.

yjjNkEr.gif

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have any suggestions for Dr. Strange builds? Rotation advice? I'm basically running an incantation spam build which seems to be the norm. I'm actively using 6 different incantations, which seems like a lot. I'm also probably using them in a less than optimal rotation, which comes down to a spamfest from time to time.

I'm by no means an expert, I recommend checking the forums for builds. I know Vapors is a must, and I personally run basicless with Suns of Cinnabun on left click and teleport on right click. I spam hella incantations and use all the hotkeys as well to keep up all of Strange's buffs, including the ground circle in boss fights. It's a lot of clicking and button pushing but I find it enjoyable.

Sblargh

Banned
How I play Daredevil and love it:

Signature move AoE when possible -> rebounding club -> basic attack to accumulate combo points. When combo points are full I usually heal and keep going. I barely use other stuff.

What I do different than what I read people doing:

Rebounding club is godlike and people don't use it because they have enough AoE or something (can never have enough AoE)

Basic attack is the fastest way to both accumulate points and deplete a boss health, yet people prefer the thing with the awkward animation that stuns because it gives two bonus points, even tho it messes up your position, have awkward animation, doesn't cause enough damage and so on.

Self heal is godlike, but people prefer to spend combo points on an attack that makes you lose control of the character for a while and don't even cause that much damage.
-
As of right now Lockheed MUST come with Shadowcat, says Marvel.

Marvel knows what's up.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

You know, I think you're on to something. Fuck his shitty finishers, just keep attacking, healing and doing hook kick (I assume you use that?) Do you use any single-target spirit dumps?

Sblargh

Banned
You know, I think you're on to something. Fuck his shitty finishers, just keep attacking, healing and doing hook kick (I assume you use that?) Do you use any single-target spirit dumps?

Oh yeah, hook kick. And nope, I barely spend any spirit, all my spirit goes into that roll move that has an arrow as a symbol in case there is too much stuff on the screen hurting me at the same time.

Then I roll around, throw the rebounding club and wait for the long cooldown of the signature move until I feel safe that the numbers are something I can self-heal through.

I'm by no means an expert, I recommend checking the forums for builds. I know Vapors is a must, and I personally run basicless with Suns of Cinnabun on left click and teleport on right click. I spam hella incantations and use all the hotkeys as well to keep up all of Strange's buffs, including the ground circle in boss fights. It's a lot of clicking and button pushing but I find it enjoyable.

Sounds very similar to how I'm specced and playing him, right down to the exact same left and right mouse skills.

Oh yeah, hook kick. And nope, I barely spend any spirit, all my spirit goes into that roll move that has an arrow as a symbol in case there is too much stuff on the screen hurting me at the same time.

Then I roll around, throw the rebounding club and wait for the long cooldown of the signature move until I feel safe that the numbers are something I can self-heal through.

I was thinking something more along the lines of Fiendsly's build from the forums.
The Build.

He does use finishers, though, which you seem to be adverse to. I'll have to try both styles out and see what works best.

Xetherion

Signature move AoE when possible -> rebounding club -> basic attack to accumulate combo points. When combo points are full I usually heal and keep going. I barely use other stuff.

What I do different than what I read people doing:

Rebounding club is godlike and people don't use it because they have enough AoE or something (can never have enough AoE)

Basic attack is the fastest way to both accumulate points and deplete a boss health, yet people prefer the thing with the awkward animation that stuns because it gives two bonus points, even tho it messes up your position, have awkward animation, doesn't cause enough damage and so on.

Self heal is godlike, but people prefer to spend combo points on an attack that makes you lose control of the character for a while and don't even cause that much damage.
-

Marvel knows what's up.

I definitely use Rebounding Club, people who don't are fools. Even if you think you don't need the AoE the bleed is an extra damage layer I would never pass on. I also agree that Sliding Strike (the two combo point move) is crap.

I don't know why you wouldn't use Street Sweeper though, because as you said, can never have enough AoE. It also makes DD untargetable during the animation, allowing you to break things like Bullseye or Sauron crosshair and just overall increasing DD's survivability quite a bit. And what the shit is this about it not doing much damage? Do you only have 1 point in it or something? It does very significant damage, especially if you get two targets alone from everything else.

I use Jumping Strike when only one target remains just to spend combo points and lower the cd for the sig, because I rarely need to use the heal finisher.

My general boss rotation is Club>SS>sig>SS>Club>basic until combo full>SS, switching SS for JS when only one enemy left.

If it's just elites with trash mobs, Club>SS(full combo points) alone is usually enough to finish everything off, maybe a couple basics to finish off survivors. Then the next group I go Club>sig and everything's dead and I'm full combo points to go Club>SS on the next group again.

Sblargh

Banned
My problem with the sweeper is that if I'm not bouncing around, then I'm causing damage some other way and building combo points to get that signature move out even quicker. But it is also a personal preference thing; I don't like losing control of my character and waiting for him to travel all he needs to travel. Also, I feel that when soloing cosmic terminals, healing yourself is usually a more worth use of combo points; DD can be quite squishy if you neglect the heal.

Xetherion

Oh yeah, hook kick. I put 1 point into it, and I see the potential, but it's very easy to miss with as it doesn't track targets, so you end up kicking the air if your target moves. The devs recently held a poll to see if people want powers used from hot bar to make you move in range of the enemy when used, if they implement that change I might try to work hook kick into my build. Or if they make it a flying kick like Lee Sin's in League of Legends, which would be awesome! Not enough points to max it though sadly.

Sblargh

Banned
I use hook kick for bosses or stuff in general that have a lot of health. It does 40% plus damage on bosses and elites, so I guess that's what it is used for?

On bosses it is like, my hotkey for self heal is 5 and for hook kick is 4. :p

So I'm like, "whack whack whack whack" 5 4 "whack whack whack whack" 5 4

I almost never miss.

Xetherion

My problem with the sweeper is that if I'm not bouncing around, then I'm causing damage some other way and building combo points to get that signature move out even quicker. But it is also a personal preference thing; I don't like losing control of my character and waiting for him to travel all he needs to travel. Also, I feel that when soloing cosmic terminals, healing yourself is usually a more worth use of combo points; DD can be quite squishy if you neglect the heal.

SS reduces DD's squishyness though. I don't take damage while I'm bouncing around, so I don't need the heal much. I understand if you just don't like not controlling him though, especially since it takes so long to execute. That's my one complaint about the power, for as much as DD is supposed to being moving so fast he becomes a blur, he actually bounces between targets kinda slowly.

Xetherion

If you're soloing hook kick is probably a lot easier to hit with, because the boss stays focused on you. I play in Midtown mostly, so the bosses are constantly charging and jumping on other players, causing me to miss hook kick frequently.

Xetherion

I'm fortunate to have a rig that only lags for a second when I first enter a boss area with 20 people already fighting, then everything runs smoothly :p

I recently moved MH over from my second HDD to the main SSD and there's a definite improvement. Mostly in loading times, but also never see texture stream in now and it manages MM battles better I think.

Dec

Hey Dec, do you have instructions on the current setting to change mouse smoothing?

Sure,

My Documents -> My Games -> Marvel Heroes -> MarvelGame -> Config -> Open MarvelInput.ini

8th line down (for me) change to bEnableMouseSmoothing=false

Dec

So I'm getting a bunch of these spirit of ivaldis while ES farming. Are these only for those siege chest? Are those chest useful?

Thanks!

I always felt like I got shifty eyes at me as a Junior. Now that paranoia is gone.

Chests (crates?) are pretty worthless in my experience, but the spirits add up for donate xp.

Hmm I never noticed one way or another, but isn't there a setting for that in Options??

Yeah there was always a setting to disable overhead health bars but it only worked for green/red/cosmic terminals. You couldnt turn off the ones in Midtown or Group Challenges.

Dec

The Steam bundles come with keys you put into the website, so there is a way to gift a limited amount of stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
real talk

that new unique glow is making me want to play the game again more than Silver Surfer does o_O that shit looks awesome

Steam Sale needs to end already

Volimar

No one has opinions of a legendary for Jean Grey?

I mean, she's energy of course, but I use some of her mental too.

She's also aoe...

Just not sure.

Top Bottom