• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm currently in Madripoor.

About 30 splinters away from being able to purchase a random hero box too.

SG to 39 last night.

Mostly played my Deadpool though, gearing him up as my main. Got a nice replacement Cosmic Ring last night and finally, FINALLY got my slot 5 unique, so I've got a (low) 2% chance of having a mini Deadpool running around with me now haha..

434 Splinters already after buying Surfer with Splinters. Nice to know I'll be able to stay on top of it now with the release schedule - Reed Richards will be another freebie!

if I had to choose a hero, it'd probably be Taskmaster or Nightcrawler but any is fine. Knowing my luck I'll get a RR dupe.

I had the worst luck right at the start. My second and third random splinter boxes were dupes of the 4 characters I already owned haha..

Had luck later on though. In a BOGO with maybe 10 characters left to own, I bought three and got another three new characters from the random boxes, which was crazy lucky.

Then a few weeks ago during the Hero code giveaways, I had just Black Widow left.

Got Black Widow from my random box.

RNGesus can be cruel and he can be SWEET!

Lashley

I had the worst luck right at the start. My second and third random boxes were dupes of the 4 characters I already owned haha..

Had luck later on though. In a BOGO with maybe 10 characters left to own, I bought three and got another three new characters from the random boxes, which was crazy lucky.

Then a few weeks ago during the Hero code giveaways, I had just Black Widow left.

Got Black Widow from my random box.

RNGesus can be cruel and he can be SWEET!

Haha, if its a dupe do you get an alt costume or is it useless?

Also, I don't understand the flak this game gets/got every item can be earned in game via grinding, just like LoL which everyone raves on about.

Haha, if its a dupe do you get an alt costume or is it useless?

Also, I don't understand the flak this game gets/got every item can be earned in game via grinding, just like LoL which everyone raves on about.

Dupes can be used as upgrades for the hero's Ultimate Power (the one you get at 30, or 52, depending on the character review). There's no other way to upgrade that power besides Hero Tokens, so they can be good for characters you main.

Yeah exactly, it's free to play! And as far as FtP games go, this one's relatively quick and easy for overall aquisition.

Vecks

Any way to adjust mouse acceleration/sensitivity in the Mac beta client? It's pretty much unplayable for me.

Never used the mac beta client, but there's no way to do it in the original pc client, so I imagine it to be pretty.similar.
Some people changed their mouse settings in the OS to help with it, but I guess that's not really... practical for most people.
If it's a lag issue, there might be some things you can change in the configuration files to help. I haven't tried anything like that, but I think some people here have had mouse issues and tried to fix it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
3 questions:

1 - is the BOGO still going
2 - is Alejandra included in the BOGO (if I buy her that is)
3 - is Alejandra still 1450g

if so I might buy her and hope they fix it

Dec

Never used the mac beta client, but there's no way to do it in the original pc client, so I imagine it to be pretty.similar.
Some people changed their mouse settings in the OS to help with it, but I guess that's not really... practical for most people.
If it's a lag issue, there might be some things you can change in the configuration files to help. I haven't tried anything like that, but I think some people here have had mouse issues and tried to fix it.

There are options for mouse smoothing and mouse sensitivity in an ini file.

What I complain about sometimes is software cursor, your actual mouse is hidden and one is drawn on the screen as a UI element. The one you see in the game is affected by framerates, which are no where near stable in the game so issues arise.

Any way to adjust mouse acceleration/sensitivity in the Mac beta client? It's pretty much unplayable for me.

What you're seeing probably is a mixture of that^ and mouse smoothing being on by default. I haven't used a mac in years, but I assume these files are somewhere. On PC under documents -> My Games -> Marvel Heroes -> MarvelGame -> Config there is a file named MarvelInput.ini edit that and there are a few lines at the top for mouse smoothing and sensitivity.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Good, don't be supporting this rush job anyway.

I haven't followed this hot mess, but do you think people would be disappointed if Gaz hadn't made all those promises? Aren't a lot of enhanced costumes just a new voice and costumes, no animations? (except Kate using her baton in melee I guess)

Bryko

What you're seeing probably is a mixture of that^ and mouse smoothing being on by default. I haven't used a mac in years, but I assume these files are somewhere. On PC under documents -> My Games -> Marvel Heroes -> MarvelGame -> Config there is a file named MarvelInput.ini edit that and there are a few lines at the top for mouse smoothing and sensitivity.

Thanks for this! For any other Mac users, the file is located at Applications -> Marvel Heroes 2015.app -> Contents -> MacOS -> UnrealEngine3 -> Engine -> Config -> BaseInput.ini. Feels a lot better now.

Xetherion

STASH tabs can't be earned, only bought. Costumes don't drop anywhere near frequently enough to count in my book, and the blender recipe is too random be reliable (and will only get worse as more costumes are added to the game). Some content is locked behind Fortune Cards, which are terrible gambles that I for one will never buy.

Stuff is also over-priced. $5 for a STASH tab is pretty ridiculous, I can buy entire games for that amount or less. $20 for a costume is high-way robbery.

All that being said, I choose to support this game anyway because Gaz communicates with their players on the forums like no company I've ever seen before, and because they are constantly putting out new content at a rate like no company I've ever seen before. They also give stuff for free frequently too, the Anniversary 365 gifts were amazing. Big 10 daily log in gifts were really good too, lots of free splinters, odin marks, cube shards, and even some fortune cards (that didn't give me anything good, but hey they gave me a chance when I normally wouldn't ever have one because I will never buy fortune cards).

Blank!

STASH tabs can't be earned, only bought. Costumes don't drop anywhere near frequently enough to count in my book, and the blender recipe is too random be reliable (and will only get worse as more costumes are added to the game). Some content is locked behind Fortune Cards, which are terrible gambles that I for one will never buy.

I think he was talking about items as in items that have an impact on gameplay. IIRC, there's no way to "grind" for different skins in LoL either (or at least their wasn't when I last played ~1.5 years ago?).

The only one that comes to mind is the back in black spiderman teamup as being behind a paywall and could potentially effect gameplay (it doesn't since using teamups outside of passive sucks 95% of the time anyway).

I don't disagree with your conclusions however. I own nearly every stash tab and would still love more.

Xetherion

The comparison between costumes and skins is mostly correct, though since costumes can actually have stats on them having multiple actually allows for a little build variety, which affects gameplay. Gaz is thinking about making costumes more like true skins though, and having the costume gear slot be for cores rather than the costumes themselves, which would be better for the game I think.

However, inventory space does affect gameplay, it affects what I'm willing to keep and what I discard. So STASH tabs apply for me regardless. Team ups affect gameplay as well, the passives aren't huge but they are noticeable. I believe I read on the forums recently that future fortune cards are going to have more team ups locked behind them too.

Blank!

The comparison between costumes and skins is mostly correct, though since costumes can actually have stats on them having multiple actually allows for a little build variety, which affects gameplay. Gaz is thinking about making costumes more like true skins though, and having the costume gear slot be for cores rather than the costumes themselves, which would be better for the game I think.

However, inventory space does affect gameplay, it affects what I'm willing to keep and what I discard. So STASH tabs apply for me regardless. Team ups affect gameplay as well, the passives aren't huge but they are noticeable. I believe I read on the forums recently that future fortune cards are going to have more team ups locked behind them too.

You can prestige to get more costumes which is free. Teamups can be bought for splinters, the only exception being the ranged variant of Spiderman (currently, Doom will be another but I'd put money on their being a different costumed Doom available for all)... fwiw, I'd probably be more 'up in arms' if the ranged spiderman version was actually good for something... he's not.

As someone who owns a lot of stash slots, I won't argue that it doesn't make an impact... but I wouldn't call it gameplay so much as convenience.

Uthred

I've no problem putting money into F2P games I enjoy and I've already but a "full priced games" worth into Marvel so Im not leery about spending money. But I have to agree that the price of stash tabs and costumes feels extortionate, to the point that its off-putting. I'll never spend money on a stash tab and am highly unlikely to spend any-more (picked up one costume) on costumes. On the other hand that might change depending on what "specials" are on, and Gaz seem to have them fairly regularly. But if Stash tabs cost 50% less and costumes ~33-50% less I'd definitely have spent more money on the game by now.

I bought a couple crafting mat slots that have served me well. Crafting mats and uniques are what pretty much bog me down. They're only 350.

Vecks

This might be kinda out of the blue, but I can't believe I'm still playing this game one and a half years later. When I started playing the really primitive looking closed beta, I was planning on sticking with it to a degree, but this is officially the longest I've stuck with any online game or any kind of game for that matter (I'm afraid to even find out how many hours I've spent). Most online games, even the ones I'm really addicted to, I usually quit after a month or two. In most action rpg's I'll play with a character until I max it out, then when I start a new character, I get excited to try out a new class, but then get bored really quick and quit. But for whatever reason, I don't have a problem like that here. I've gone through 1-60 like 40 times (if I count all my prestiging) and I'm still in the middle of doing it now, no problem. And every time I start a new hero I'm interested in, it feels like a fresh experience, even though I'm doing essentially the same content. I don't know how much longer it can hold my interest, but at the moment, I don't see my interest waning any time soon.

With that said, I can't wait for the hilarity of playing as Reed Richards.

Vecks

I think a STASH sale would serve them well, I know if they had one I'd probably buy some tabs.

Yeah, it'd be nice if they did a stash sale once in a while. I waited for stash sales for many months. I eventually gave up and bought a few, and now, I feel pretty comfortable with the amount of space. I read there was a sale a while back, but I must have missed it since I never noticed it, and they haven't done any since.

Mupod

maxed out taskmaster...had a lot of fun with him, might keep on playing him even though my 'main' is rocket raccoon. I'm glad he ended up being fun because I only play characters I like.

He's definitely a more proactive kind of character. I went with a shield crush, dismember, shield rebound and nerve gas build to make him into a ranged/melee hybrid since just playing Taskmaster as ranged OR melee seems like a betrayal of his character. He's also ridiculously tanky with my build which is nice. But yeah it's a big change from RR's very relaxed and safe playstyle. I dunno if I'd consider him more effective though...pets and BFG are very good at cutting through this game's visual cacophony and allowing you to do consistent damage in any situation. It's nice having a character who can go toe-to-toe with bosses and put out serious single target as well as AOE, though.

Still gotta get him a legendary and gear him up, I think I'll just wait for midtown in the loot rotation then go after the bosses with some boosts on. I bought some Odin bounty potions during the sale but haven't used them since I heard they were bugged atm, I read that they're going to give out an additional one for each potion bought and then do some kind of Odin mark event afterwards.

Between Midtown rotations I might put some time into Iron Man who I got for free during the BOGO. I dunno how much time I'm gonna be spending on this game after Tuesday though since there's a big FF14 patch coming.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This might be kinda out of the blue, but I can't believe I'm still playing this game one and a half years later. When I started playing the really primitive looking closed beta, I was planning on sticking with it to a degree, but this is officially the longest I've stuck with any online game or any kind of game for that matter (I'm afraid to even find out how many hours I've spent). Most online games, even the ones I'm really addicted to, I usually quit after a month or two. In most action rpg's I'll play with a character until I max it out, then when I start a new character, I get excited to try out a new class, but then get bored really quick and quit. But for whatever reason, I don't have a problem like that here. I've gone through 1-60 like 40 times (if I count all my prestiging) and I'm still in the middle of doing it now, no problem. And every time I start a new hero I'm interested in, it feels like a fresh experience, even though I'm doing essentially the same content. I don't know how much longer it can hold my interest, but at the moment, I don't see my interest waning any time soon.

With that said, I can't wait for the hilarity of playing as Reed Richards.

Yup, this is a post I could've written almost word for word, except I started when the game came out of beta (lol), and here I still am 900 hours later, and that's pretty insane. I actually don't really care about most other games anymore because they don't have the instant gratification of this game. I played Diablo 3 for a while when RoS came out but got bored with it after a month or so of hardcore playing, and went right back to MH.

Drayco21

Got Squirrel Girl to 60 last night- her powers are such dumb fun, it was a blast start to finish. Wondering who I should start now- I have most of the cast still under 10. Maybe I'll try Cap out next.

Lashley

He's really underpowered, boring and in need of a review. He's arguably the worst in the game right now. It doesn't help that it feels like he's one of the more common random box heroes.

Ah, I dont like The Thing at the best of times.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Thing actually got tweaked in a recent patch and is pretty decent now, better than Hulk at any rate. Still boring though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Hulk is made of paper, he has no defenses to speak of other than HP and raw def rating, which isn't worth a whole lot these days. Thor is in the same boat. His damage also isn't stellar compared to, say, Wolverine. Both Hulk and Thor have been subpar for almost the entire game's lifespan, and it makes me really sad because I love them both. Thing meanwhile has 25% damage reduction, hella HP and def and can easily achieve 75% uptime on Clobberin' Time, making him CC immune.

I was at the presentation / Q&A Gaz did at Supercon today. Here are the costume pictures they showed:
jDjM441.jpg

27nZvEM.jpg

8gOYi64.jpg

H5WauRa.jpg

R4tfFzD.jpg

Also, here are the codes they provided for some EXP / Rarity / Special Item Find Boosts:
Edit: Codes posted already on the previous page.

Drayco21

Not a fan of any of those costumes, but now that Josh Keaton is in the cast to voice Captain Marvel, hopefully they'll get him to do an enhanced Spidey costume.

Top Bottom