• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

It's a sad thing when you reach max level with Strange. You realize that, once you get him geared out, it doesn't matter how much better designed and more fun he is than every other hero in the game, you're going to get bored with him. It's just the nature of an aRPG. Then you try to play other heroes and you don't enjoy them as much because they are nowhere near as fun to play as he was. So you don't want to play Strange anymore, and you don't feel like playing other heroes anymore either, and you just kind of lose your desire to play.

You're spot on, so hopefully future additions maintain that higher level of fun. I've got my eyes on Reed Richards as the next big thing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Test Center on monday/tuesday. He should be up on the official servers on July 10th.

oh hes out this week? nice, im gonna have a few "the hype has died down" heroes to play when I get back into it

dont have time to watch the videos, so how is the game doing? Like financially? Was honestly kinda surprised it's still doing alright after a year, and the character output is ramping up.

Also, when can they release a badass Strange costume already? It's not really that hard... everything so far just seems... eh :(

dont have time to watch the videos, so how is the game doing? Like financially? Was honestly kinda surprised it's still doing alright after a year, and the character output is ramping up.

I imagine at $10-20 dollars a pop for a freaking costume, they are basically printing money at this point. People (including me) have supported them tremendously.

Dec

From what I've heard Brevik say on his wife's stream the game is turning around financially now. They launched it far before it was ready because they had a ton of share holders that had put money into development with no return, so they put it out before they should have. He regrets not keeping the beta tag on, while charging money for a lot longer than they did because of the scores it got.

He obviously didn't get specific but it seemed to me from the tone and wording that the game hadn't met expectations as of like two months ago, but everyone involved understands it's a long term game that will improve and attract more players, and more sources of revenue as it goes on.

Rebranding the game as 2015 was clearly an attempt to distance themselves from the launch scores and overall try to get more players, with all the hero giveaways etc.

In any case, the game isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I would never have spent money on it at launch. Even for Deadpool, I had no interest in buying him for $10 or whatever it worked out at.

After coming back earlier this year, I think I've spent over $200 on it now haha.. And worth every penny.

Dec

I think lately we've seen heroes moved from 2015 to 2014 and they are most likely going to finish the 52 reworks this year, when before they were likely going to go into 2015. Seems to me that the rebranding accomplished what they hoped and there are more players now than ever.

Dec

What are the criteria for a 'hero'. We have Loki and magneto is coming. Do they just need to be good for one issue or something to qualify?

Loki in the game only really wants the throne, so he kind of comes together against a common enemy. There is new story content coming before Magneto, Venom and Juggernaut that seems to involve Red Skull or Skrull in some way that is supposed to make them make some amount of sense.

J-Tier

What are the criteria for a 'hero'. We have Loki and magneto is coming. Do they just need to be good for one issue or something to qualify?

With the "Villains pack" coming out, I think they're going to throw the hero qualifier out the window, or they should IMO. It was kinda lame seeing them try to shoehorn Taskmaster and Loki in as heroes based on one off events. Might as well just call em playable villains.

Ragnaroz

Seriously, people, all of those characters are in the gray area. Juggernaut was an X-Man and a part of Excalibur for a long time. Venom was part of the Tunderbolts and has helped Spidey fight Carnage multiple times. Magneto has spent more time helping the X-Men than fighting them. None of them are really considered villains in the comics, but if you only watch movies, you can be confused.

Drayco21

Loki and Magneto have both been faces for several years now, and Magneto has had major stretches as a member of the X-Men or a likable guy from the beginning. Hell, he was even made one of the heroes team members by the Beyonder during Secret War like three decades ago. Loki hasn't been truly villainous since Siege ended four years ago.

Sblargh

Banned
From what I've heard Brevik say on his wife's stream the game is turning around financially now. They launched it far before it was ready because they had a ton of share holders that had put money into development with no return, so they put it out before they should have. He regrets not keeping the beta tag on, while charging money for a lot longer than they did because of the scores it got.

He obviously didn't get specific but it seemed to me from the tone and wording that the game hadn't met expectations as of like two months ago, but everyone involved understands it's a long term game that will improve and attract more players, and more sources of revenue as it goes on.

Rebranding the game as 2015 was clearly an attempt to distance themselves from the launch scores and overall try to get more players, with all the hero giveaways etc.

In any case, the game isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It makes sense with how it feels. It deserved all the low scores then, it deserves all the high scores now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
rebranding it for a new metacritic is shady as fuck tho, I have to give it to the game industry peeps saying that (I dont give a fuck but it is)

Indignate

Pulled a Scarlett Witch dupe out of a random box.

I know I should probably just save at this point for the heroes that I want (Strange and Psylocke), but it just feels wrong.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
actually releasing a semi decent shot for once i think this is with new aa too ?

pQsc8Yj.jpg

6otZiWL.jpg

25VrZAk.jpg

Given how amazing Reed is at inventing stuff...I figured I'd spoil something about his items which is, at least right now, unique to Reed:

Reed's Slot 3 has 2 procs:

When you hit with a melee power, gain physical damage rating
>
When you hit with a ranged power, gain energy damage rating
Now, these procs aren't out of the ordinary, however:

IF you equip Reed's slot 1 AND 3 at the same time, the slot 1 modifies the physical damage bonus from the proc by 25%
>
IF you equip Reed's slot 3 and 5 at the same time, the slot 5 modifies the energy damage bonus from the proc by 25%

No set bonuses. Just small modifiers to help items have synergy with each other. Set bonuses will come someday soon, and they will truly unlock affixes (I believe - but don't quote me 100% on this).

Sblargh

Banned
rebranding it for a new metacritic is shady as fuck tho, I have to give it to the game industry peeps saying that (I dont give a fuck but it is)

I'm not sure. PC games have been improving via patches forever now; it seems more like a workaround to a review system that fails to acknowledge that the product does change over time.

Loki and Magneto have both been faces for several years now, and Magneto has had major stretches as a member of the X-Men or a likable guy from the beginning. Hell, he was even made one of the heroes team members by the Beyonder during Secret War like three decades ago. Loki hasn't been truly villainous since Siege ended four years ago.

Furthermore, Taskmaster is for one a mercenary who just helps whoever pays best. On top of that, he has been an agent of SHIELD several times (aside from training SHIELD agents), and he actually was tasked (no pun intended) with infiltrating super villain teams and gathering intel on them for SHIELD.

So far every villain they've lined up as playable character has been on the good side at least for an extended period of time. That also includes the already confirmed Dr. Doom and semi-confirmed Thanos (who has been part of the Infinity Watch together with Adam Warlock and his cronies).

Lord Phol

In this case they aren't just rebranding it for Metacritic though. They are relaunching the whole game because it is pretty much a whole new game. More so than some of the other titles that get the 2014,2015, 2016 etc treatment are.

If it was just a quick name change yeah that would be a bit shady.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Furthermore, Taskmaster is for one a mercenary who just helps whoever pays best. On top of that, he has been an agent of SHIELD several times (aside from training SHIELD agents), and he actually was tasked (no pun intended) with infiltrating super villain teams and gathering intel on them for SHIELD.

So far every villain they've lined up as playable character has been on the good side at least for an extended period of time. That also includes the already confirmed Dr. Doom and semi-confirmed Thanos (who has been part of the Infinity Watch together with Adam Warlock and his cronies).

And to add to this, Venom has always just been a personal antagonist to Spiderman than an out-and-out villain, and generally had no desire to endanger innocent folks. Eddie Brock version at least, I don't know anything about the later incarnations.

Lord Phol

Doesn't Venom straight up work for the government these days?

Flash Thompson did but he's currently in Guardians of the Galaxy. The Venom we are getting (first at least) is Eddie Brock who actually uses another symbiote these days called Toxic.

Edward_Brock_%28Earth-616%29_from_Venom_Vol_2_33.jpg

Big chance this will become a costume.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
And to add to this, Venom has always just been a personal antagonist to Spiderman than an out-and-out villain, and generally had no desire to endanger innocent folks. Eddie Brock version at least, I don't know anything about the later incarnations.

Oh he only tried to murder Peter Parker, this is fine, good guy,

Doesn't Venom straight up work for the government these days?

Not the one that we fight against on the game; if they do the agent venom model, then that's a straight up hero.

Yeah, there's been several Venom hosts. After Eddie Brock got stripped of the symbiote, it went to Mac Gargan (known as the Scorpion before that), who also was a member of Norman Osborne's Dark Avengers. Once Gargan was captured and separated from Venom, it was given to Flash Thompson, a veteran soldier (and former bully of Peter Parker). Dubbed as Agent Venom, he's indeed worked for the government. He also was an Avenger. There's been a few other hosts to the Venom symbiote, but none of them were significant enough to make an impact - Brock, Gargan and Flash are considered the 3 main hosts.

Flash Thompson did but he's currently in Guardians of the Galaxy. The Venom we are getting (first at least) is Eddie Brock who actually uses another symbiote these days called Toxic.

Toxin. Yeah, Eddie Brock has taken an interesting turn. After being separated from the symbiote, a villain named Mister Negative was able to boost the leftover symbiote cells in Brock's body to make him an entity known as Anti-Venom, which went on a crusade to eradicate all symbiotes. One of those was Toxin, who was attached to a police officer named Mulligan.
The Anti-Venom symbiote was destroyed when it was used to cure the spider sickness during the Spider Island event. Mulligan got killed around that time, as well, and the Toxin symbiote went to bond with Brock, who then went on his anti-symbiote rampage again, lol.

Oh he only tried to murder Peter Parker, this is fine, good guy,

Well, he only wants to hurt 1 person. He does not want any innocent bystanders to come to harm, only Spider-Man. That is much better than several other "heroes" can say for themselves - looking at you, Punisher and Wolverine.
As a matter of fact, after a big fight against Spidey, Brock decided to move to the West Coast instead so instead of trying to hunt Spidey, he'd just hang out far away from him, which made him think about his purpose in the world, and eventually he became an anti-hero, even laying down his grudge against Spidey to fight common enemies (like Carnage).

are all the symbiotes significantly different or are same of them the same just different names???

They're different. They share many abilities with each other (except for Anti-Venom, that one is significantly different), but they're different entities that bond themselves to different people. Most of them are defined by the person they bond with, as well - which is why Carnage is a massmurdering maniac even when it is not bonded with Cletus Kasidy (its first host).
Carnage, Anti-Venom and the minor symbiotes (Scream, Lasher, etc.) are off-spring of Venom, Toxin is an off-spring of Carnage.

The only symbiotes that are the same are Venom and Mania (aka She-Venom), since that is literally the Venom symbiote split apart.

Mupod

Like you my knowledge of Venom mostly begins and ends at Eddie Brock although I did some research on the Flash version when he showed up in GOTG for whatever reason.

But his portrayal specifically in this game as an enemy is odd. I don't remember Venom running around turning random civilians into symbiote monsters. So while having Brock Venom as a hero makes perfect sense it seems strange in the context of this game particularly.

I would never have spent money on it at launch. Even for Deadpool, I had no interest in buying him for $10 or whatever it worked out at.

After coming back earlier this year, I think I've spent over $200 on it now haha.. And worth every penny.

If this game had been in beta until the 2015 release, and they had kept the Founder stuff, I'd have gone in for a $60 one no problem. That's what I value a F2P game I'll spend upwards of 100 hours on.

As it was, the guys who threw in $200 for that uberfounder pack with every hero at release were totally insane.

KePoW

Banned

hey dra do u know if JUGGERNAUT has ever been good for a period of time?

KePoW

Banned

I'm not sure i would call it shady, but more that the whole metacritic system is stupid to begin with

Drayco21

He's been a member of the X-Men, New Excalibur and most recently had a couple year period where he was a member of Luke Cage's Thunderbolts team (and even gained the Uni-Power and was Captain Universe briefly).

Hero Juggernaut is a really fun take on the character to read.

If this game had been in beta until the 2015 release, and they had kept the Founder stuff, I'd have gone in for a $60 one no problem. That's what I value a F2P game I'll spend upwards of 100 hours on.

This makes me feel good about my in-game purchases.

On a random note, if anyone is trying Black Panther and not liking him, just give him time. He really picked up for me from 40-60.

KePoW

Banned
He's been a member of the X-Men, New Excalibur and most recently had a couple year period where he was a member of Luke Cage's Thunderbolts team (and even gained the Uni-Power and was Captain Universe briefly).

oh wow kool thx friend, will have to keep eye out for those comix

Yup. Juggs is a really cool character, but I think I like him better as a good guy.

As it was, the guys who threw in $200 for that uberfounder pack with every hero at release were totally insane.

:c

Mupod

Insane at launch, but at least it turned out alright in the end. I bought into Mechwarrior Online early and that game has been one disappointment after another. To add insult to injury they've recognized that they were too 'generous' with the ingame currency from founder packs and don't let you get anything new/good with it anymore. Since a lot of founders are still sitting on their piles of fake money.

For example imagine that Venom would only be available for 6 months to people who paid $120 up front for that big deluxe pack. And then it would open up to G, and a month or two later for splinters.

If I would have known ahead of time that it would be my most-played game of 2014, I probably would have bought in early. It took a ton of convincing from my friends to even try it. The last ARPG my friends made me play was PoE, and that went nowhere.

edit: And a lot of my interest has to do with the Marvel license. I've been loving the last page of stuff about Venom and Juggernaut. Stuck in a Marvel wiki hole right now.

Top Bottom