• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Insane at launch, but at least it turned out alright in the end. I bought into Mechwarrior Online early and that game has been one disappointment after another. To add insult to injury they've recognized that they were too 'generous' with the ingame currency from founder packs and don't let you get anything new/good with it anymore. Since a lot of founders are still sitting on their piles of fake money.

Wow that sounds super scummy.

Also symbiotes are dumb and I don't know why Marvel continues to lean so hard on them. Anything that reminds us of the 90s in comics should probably just be ignored so we can pretend the whole decade never happened.

inky

If this game had been in beta until the 2015 release, and they had kept the Founder stuff, I'd have gone in for a $60 one no problem. That's what I value a F2P game I'll spend upwards of 100 hours on.

As it was, the guys who threw in $200 for that uberfounder pack with every hero at release were totally insane.

I went for a $60 pack, and I was very wary of the purchase back then. In fact, I regarded it as a bad purchase because after I did my pre-order they started talking about all kind of micro-transaction non-sense they were going to add to the game. Remember we needed keys to access daily terminals guys? Jesus Christ.

If I had known the game would improve so much I would've gone with the $200 instantly, in fact I nearly did, but I can't regret it because the game did a 180 I've yet to see any other game do. It wasn't a sensible decision back then.

I've spent more than twice that amount since launch now =S

Sblargh

Banned
Wow that sounds super scummy.

Also symbiotes are dumb and I don't know why Marvel continues to lean so hard on them. Anything that reminds us of the 90s in comics should probably just be ignored so we can pretend the whole decade never happened.

Ugh, don't like symbiotes, too. The first one is ok because it was a reminder that Spiderman took part in the secret wars; lasting consequences after a crossover event was a pretty novel idea then. But then they went overboard. I mean, they already started to go overboard when they had Venom saying "braaainnnss"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah I only gave this a go because it was Marvel, but I'm loving it. Much prefer it to Path of Exile, which is regarded by many as the better game.

Mupod

I thought Venom was the coolest thing ever as a kid but only when acting as an awkward frenemy to Spiderman. At some point he became a victim of his own popularity and everything they did with symbiotes got real stupid. But I still like old Brock Venom. I'm willing to give Flash Venom a chance if he ends up being interesting in Guardians of the Galaxy.

If I would have known ahead of time that it would be my most-played game of 2014, I probably would have bought in early. It took a ton of convincing from my friends to even try it. The last ARPG my friends made me play was PoE, and that went nowhere.

edit: And a lot of my interest has to do with the Marvel license. I've been loving the last page of stuff about Venom and Juggernaut. Stuck in a Marvel wiki hole right now.

That keeps happening to me too, I had encyclopaedic knowledge of Marvel in the 90s but stopped reading when comics got too expensive (and annoyingly dark/edgy since that was the style at the time). So it's kind of fun to find out what everyone's been up to, although I always roll my eyes when I run across an entry that reads like 'ok he died, but came back, died again, got cloned, died again but now they brought an older version back from the past'. Comic books.

I had a good laugh when I was reading up on Moon Knight and found a thing saying that he's the only guy whose moves Taskmaster won't copy, because he's a nutjob who doesn't care about taking hits. Task is one of my favorite characters, my current main and one of the reasons I started playing again. Likewise Moon Knight was a little injoke between me and a couple friends back when this came out.

Edit: My friend plays PoE and straight up doesn't believe me that this game is good. I suppose it's aimed at pretty different audiences though, and if you're not interested in a more casual approach to this genre, Marvel, or Diablo 2 nostalgia then I dunno if you'd bother.

Ugh, don't like symbiotes, too. The first one is ok because it was a reminder that Spiderman took part in the secret wars; lasting consequences after a crossover event was a pretty novel idea then. But then they went overboard. I mean, they already started to go overboard when they had Venom saying "braaainnnss"

I agree. I honestly only like Venom out of all of them because he's the original, and made an interesting development. The 90s is the worst decade for comics hands down, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who agrees with that assessment.

However, people who don't read comics regularly (or haven't read them back in the 90s) LOVE the symbiotes, especially Carnage.
Those are the same people whom I call "X-tards" - people who watched the 90s cartoon shows when they were kids and want those characters, despite how terrible they are. They usually are embodied by the people who yell the loudest to add more X-Men characters from the show (including really shitty ones like Jubilee) or make Carnage playable, while more interesting characters that never appeared in the shows are getting hated on by them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I actually got 3 people to try this recently and they were all playing all weekend. At lones one of them threw money down, I know he bought Dr Strange, which is kind of a shame as the dude is a hopeless idiot so that's totally the wrong character for him.

Sblargh

Banned
I agree. I honestly only like Venom out of all of them because he's the original, and made an interesting development. The 90s is the worst decade for comics hands down, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who agrees with that assessment.

However, people who don't read comics regularly (or haven't read them back in the 90s) LOVE the symbiotes, especially Carnage.
Those are the same people whom I call "X-tards" - people who watched the 90s cartoon shows when they were kids and want those characters, despite how terrible they are. They usually are embodied by the people who yell the loudest to add more X-Men characters from the show (including really shitty ones like Jubilee) or make Carnage playable, while more interesting characters that never appeared in the shows are getting hated on by them.

Jayzus, the anger, haha. I like to think everyone is entitled to be a fan for whatever reason, be it the cartoons or the movies. I don't think comics take necessarily priority, only that it is the richest source.

Also, Jubilee isn't shitty, goddamn. For what it is worth it, tho, I get the feel that this team is really made of Marvel fanboys. It's not code monkeys for hire who purchased a license or something; they know their stuff.

I'm legit curious as to who people ask to put in the game (apart Jubilee) because of the cartoon vs people who are hated on. Dr. Strange is one I guess has zero appeals for people who don't read the comics, since he hardly ever appeared on any other medium.

I thought Venom was the coolest thing ever as a kid but only when acting as an awkward frenemy to Spiderman. At some point he became a victim of his own popularity and everything they did with symbiotes got real stupid. But I still like old Brock Venom. I'm willing to give Flash Venom a chance if he ends up being interesting in Guardians of the Galaxy.

I actually believe Flash Venom is the best Venom so far. Of course it'll depend on the writer(s) for his future stories, but so far, he's so much better, because he's not reduced down to "i haetz joo spodermen, bwaaains", which especially Mac Gargan embodied.

That keeps happening to me too, I had encyclopaedic knowledge of Marvel in the 90s but stopped reading when comics got too expensive (and annoyingly dark/edgy since that was the style at the time). So it's kind of fun to find out what everyone's been up to, although I always roll my eyes when I run across an entry that reads like 'ok he died, but came back, died again, got cloned, died again but now they brought an older version back from the past'. Comic books.

Yeah, that's about every more or less popular hero, sadly. The death of a beloved character (either to the readers, or to the main characters of a story, or both) is always a plot point that has a lot of impact. However, why would you kill off one of your iconic characters for good?
I actually also prefer the way Marvel is handling - I'd rather have them die and get revived multiple times than having them reboot the entire universe every 2 weeks like DC does.

Lord Phol

Man I love symbiotes, even the lesser ones like Scream. Brock has always been my boy though, Venom, Anti-Venom or Toxin.
I was also pleasently suprised with Flash Thompson. When I first saw him I thought what.. the..living fuck? Then I read his comic and was pretty damn impresed. Mania I could do without, super lame.

I was 9 years old in 1993, so pretty much the coolest thing around were X-Men cards. From there I started reading the books, but even my elementary school brain couldn't get through Age of Apocalypse. I still thought the series was a cool idea, and I really liked Nate Grey as a character. After that I really stopped reading comic books for the most part, other than chatting with friends in high school and college about them.

So I guess I'm an X-tard? With that said, I really don't want Jubilee playable until 2016 or 2017 when they're really having a hard time coming up with characters.

Jayzus, the anger, haha. I like to think everyone is entitled to be a fan for whatever reason, be it the cartoons or the movies. I don't think comics take necessarily priority, only that it is the richest source.

Also, Jubilee isn't shitty, goddamn. For what it is worth it, tho, I get the feel that this team is really made of Marvel fanboys. It's not code monkeys for hire who purchased a license or something; they know their stuff.

I'm legit curious as to who people ask to put in the game (apart Jubilee) because of the cartoon vs people who are hated on. Dr. Strange is one I guess has zero appeals for people who don't read the comics, since he hardly ever appeared on any other medium.

Oh, of course lol. I don't care if people like the cartoons (I've rewatched them a year or two ago, and they make me cringe; the worst writing ever). That's perfectly fine. It's just that those are the people who are the most vocal about things, or at least that's the notion I get, personally. And that vocalism (?) is what's so annoying - if the next 20 characters would be characters from the 90s cartoons, they would still yell for more characters from the 90s cartoons. And don't they dare add a more obscure hero, cause who the fuck knows that character? What a shitty addition, should have added playable Xavier's chair without Xavier instead, that would be so much cooler.

As for characters a lot of people ask for, vs. characters people don't like - Dr. Strange was one of the least picked votes in the initial Advance Pack/2014 vote. Ironically, Dr. Strange appears in virtually every Marvel-related cartoon in a cameo. Moon Knight also is not considered to be popular. Invisible Woman, Mr. Fantastic, Squirrel Girl, Rocket Raccoon, and Star-Lord, as well.

Characters you see the cartoon fans often asking for: Jubilee, Iceman, Carnage, Gambit, Venom, Apocalypse, Hobgoblin (cause Green G. didn't exist in the show) and Rogue.
As a matter of fact, there's a thread on the official forums complaining about the Rogue model they showed in that convention panel because her hair doesn't look exactly like the one in the cartoon. I'm not even kidding.

Yeah, Gazillion has a lot of Marvel fans, and that's showing with how much detail they put into a lot of the stuff. They draw from practically all sources, which is awesome. I also am glad Marvel is putting a lot of weight on representing franchises beyond X-Men/Spider-Man much more.

So I guess I'm an X-tard? With that said, I really don't want Jubilee playable until 2016 or 2017 when they're really having a hard time coming up with characters.

That second line alone makes a person who isn't an X-tard. You also read the comics - not watching only the 90s cartoon show! So you can't be an X-tard by virtue of that. :p

Mupod

Yeah there's a lot of moments in this game where I'm all, Iunderstoodthatreference.gif. Particularly some of the choices and flavor text for character uniques. Really impressive how detailed and obscure some of it is.

I think a surprising amount of people are fans of characters at least partially because of the Capcom fighters. Example: friend of mine bought Jean Grey day 1 and named his account 'icantcontrolit'. Devs are clearly fans too...Hyper Viper Beam, Taskmaster's moveset, etc.

KePoW

Banned
Anything that reminds us of the 90s in comics should probably just be ignored so we can pretend the whole decade never happened.

Yeah I don't like 90s comix. Well maybe the very late 90s was ok, but the first six to eight years were no good.

I had a good laugh when I was reading up on Moon Knight and found a thing saying that he's the only guy whose moves Taskmaster won't copy, because he's a nutjob who doesn't care about taking hits.

LOL, that's freakin hilarious haha, never heard that before

KePoW

Banned
Oh, of course lol. I don't care if people like the cartoons (I've rewatched them a year or two ago, and they make me cringe; the worst writing ever). That's perfectly fine. It's just that those are the people who are the most vocal about things, or at least that's the notion I get, personally. And that vocalism (?) is what's so annoying - if the next 20 characters would be characters from the 90s cartoons, they would still yell for more characters from the 90s cartoons. And don't they dare add a more obscure hero, cause who the fuck knows that character? What a shitty addition, should have added playable Xavier's chair without Xavier instead, that would be so much cooler.

As for characters a lot of people ask for, vs. characters people don't like - Dr. Strange was one of the least picked votes in the initial Advance Pack/2014 vote. Ironically, Dr. Strange appears in virtually every Marvel-related cartoon in a cameo. Moon Knight also is not considered to be popular. Invisible Woman, Mr. Fantastic, Squirrel Girl, Rocket Raccoon, and Star-Lord, as well.

Characters you see the cartoon fans often asking for: Jubilee, Iceman, Carnage, Gambit, Venom, Apocalypse, Hobgoblin (cause Green G. didn't exist in the show) and Rogue.
As a matter of fact, there's a thread on the official forums complaining about the Rogue model they showed in that convention panel because her hair doesn't look exactly like the one in the cartoon. I'm not even kidding.

Yeah, Gazillion has a lot of Marvel fans, and that's showing with how much detail they put into a lot of the stuff. They draw from practically all sources, which is awesome. I also am glad Marvel is putting a lot of weight on representing franchises beyond X-Men/Spider-Man much more.

I forgot, red r u the guy who hates X-Men? There's always been a specific person in this OT who hates all X-Men characters in the game, but don't recall if it was you.

I forgot, red r u the guy who hates X-Men? There's always been a specific person in this OT who hates all X-Men characters in the game, but don't recall if it was you.

lol, you might be thinking of me, but no, I don't hate X-Men, or all of their characters in the game. As a matter of fact, Nightcrawler is one of my favorite characters. I do hate everything 90s X-Men, however. All the more frustrating I actually enjoy playing Cable. :p

And I want a balance between X-Men content and rest of the entire Marvel universe content (which Gaz luckily is providing for the most part).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Taskmaster also doesn't copy Deadpool because he's such an unpredictable crazy, so there's no way to imitate him.

Yeah I remember reading that, how when Taskmaster fights/watches Deadpool he can't emulate him because it's just a random sequence with no logical pattern or discernible skillset.

KePoW

Banned
lol, you might be thinking of me, but no, I don't hate X-Men, or all of their characters in the game. As a matter of fact, Nightcrawler is one of my favorite characters. I do hate everything 90s X-Men, however. All the more frustrating I actually enjoy playing Cable. :p

ah okay got it, must be someone else. There's some poster in this thread who is always against future X-Men characters in MH, lol

Other than Ice Man and Kitty Pryde (who I think would be hard to pull off in the moveset department) I can't think of any body from the X-Men I would want in the game before some non-X characters. They're already pretty well represented.

I do want a Doop team-up, though. Dude's crazy.

ev0

Lmao. I love this. This is exactly how I feel every time I read a Marvel vs Capcom thread and see people blaming Marvel for the " shitty" roster of mvc3 and not moar x mans.

(I think vampire jubilee might be interesting despite how I hate that shesca vampire )

KePoW

Banned
Lmao. I love this. This is exactly how I feel every time I read a Marvel vs Capcom thread and see people blaming Marvel for the " shitty" roster of mvc3 and not moar x mans.

I guess that's me, because I hate MVC3's roster on the Marvel side. Not because of X-Men specifically, but because I would like a lot more female characters.

I wouldn't mind poofier hair for her classic costume. :x

Though I don't read a lot of comics (I read some notable runs and friend suggestions at times) and I do quite like the '90s X-Men cartoon, I guess I'm not an, er, X-tard in that I don't expect them to pander solely to that and just enjoy whatever they throw my way.

ev0

I guess that's me, because I hate MVC3's roster on the Marvel side. Not because of X-Men specifically, but because I would like a lot more female characters.

Nah that's actually more understandable (unless your females are only rogue, psylocke, jubilee, etc haha).
I'm not one to defend the entire roster either but similar to Red, I just can't stand that one attitude regarding the 90s characters.
I personally really wanted Emma in MvC3. Thought she could have had a cool move set

This also reminds me of when the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern was announced and a portion of the Internet decried DC/WB as horrible racists for changing Green Lantern into a white guy, as their only exposure to GL was in the JL cartoon with John Stewart.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Other than Ice Man and Kitty Pryde (who I think would be hard to pull off in the moveset department) I can't think of any body from the X-Men I would want in the game before some non-X characters. They're already pretty well represented.

I do want a Doop team-up, though. Dude's crazy.

Angel / Archangel?

I wouldn't mind poofier hair for her classic costume. :x

Lol, it was just a recent example. :p

Though I don't read a lot of comics (I read some notable runs and friend suggestions at times) and I do quite like the '90s X-Men cartoon, I guess I'm not an, er, X-tard in that I don't expect them to pander solely to that and just enjoy whatever they throw my way.

Yeah. That's exactly the attitude I'm speaking of. X-Men fans are fine in my book. You like what you like, you get exposed to what you get exposed to. But that entitlement of only them getting pandered to that so many of them express is what makes me so mad. You don't have that attitude, so you're absolutely fine!
You should read some good comic stories though.

Angel / Archangel?

Ahh, Warren Worthington. He has the best powerset of them all, he can fly. Completely unique! There's not a lot of characters who can fly.
And yes I know he's gotten some weird healing powers lately, but still lol

Carm

I'm a bit surprised(not really) Sunfire isn't in the game yet. Figured he wouldn't be hugely popular but still, Dr. Strange is in and I'm guessing 90% of the players didn't know who he was. Not even sure the character is still around, I haven't read a comic book in about twenty-fiveish years heh.
TbXuCRi.jpg

Dec

It's interesting that the two best games of the genre are F2P.

I don't think I would take it down to two though, this and PoE are great from a systems point of view, Marvel with all the characters and PoE with the huge talent tree, and having more game modes etc. but honestly they play poorly. Sometimes I just want to play D3 sometimes because it's the most well-made of the genre and the actual gameplay is just so much better.

Specifically with MH, I was surprised yesterday when I loaded up D3 and remembered how smoothly my mouse could move in this kind of game.

Lord Phol

I'm a bit surprised(not really) Sunfire isn't in the game yet. Figured he wouldn't be hugely popular but still, Dr. Strange is in and I'm guessing 90% of the players didn't know who he was. Not even sure the character is still around, I haven't read a comic book in about twenty-fiveish years heh.

Man I'd love to have Sunfire in the game just for this costume alone:

wraithsunfire.jpg

We all ready have Human Torch though and I believe (could be wrong) that Sunspot is more likely, so the chance that we seen Sunfire playable anytime soon is super low.

I'm not really surprised. There's only so much you can do with a fire based character and Human Torch pretty much has that on lock-down. I don't think Sunfire has ever really been very popular, but he's another character who started as a villain. The X-Men is full of them. That said he's a member of Uncanny Avengers but he's always kind of a dick, and not in the entertaining Namor way.

I would say Dr. Strange has way more recognition among Marvel fans. He's an Avenger, one of the Illuminati, and is almost always the Sorcerer Supreme. I doubt there were really any people who have any familiarity with marvel who had never even heard of him.

Drayco21

I would say Dr. Strange has way more recognition among Marvel fans. He's an Avenger, one of the Illuminati, and is almost always the Sorcerer Supreme. I doubt there were really any people who have any familiarity with marvel who had never even heard of him.

Plus, he's got that movie in the works, and nothing turns a B-Lister like Iron Man or C-Listers like the Guardians into mainstream super-popular characters like a big summer blockbuster.

KePoW

Banned
I'm not really surprised. There's only so much you can do with a fire based character and Human Torch pretty much has that on lock-down. I don't think Sunfire has ever really been very popular, but he's another character who started as a villain. The X-Men is full of them. That said he's a member of Uncanny Avengers but he's always kind of a dick, and not in the entertaining Namor way.

Yeah I agree, I like Namor even though he's an arrogant smartass. But I don't like Sunfire in the same way

Plus, he's got that movie in the works, and nothing turns a B-Lister like Iron Man or C-Listers like the Guardians into mainstream super-popular characters like a big summer blockbuster.

man forgot Strange is getting a movie. It's gonna be fucking terrible, or its gonna give kids seizures like that pokemon eps when viewed in 3D.

That kinda recent animated Strange movie kinda sucked though...

I didn't think it was terrible, but it had to condense a ton of Dr. Strange lore into an hour and a half, so it wasn't very good. I still enjoyed it as mindless entertainment.

SmithnCo

man forgot Strange is getting a movie. It's gonna be fucking terrible, or its gonna give kids seizures like that pokemon eps when viewed in 3D.

Marvel's never been good in the animated movie department. Besides Hulk Vs.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The 90s Spiderman and X-Men cartoons were my gateway drug into comic books and other nerddom, though I didn't actually start reading comics until just a few years back. I still associate many Spider-Man villains especially with the cartoon, as I never got deep into Spidey comics for whatever reason. Also the Green Goblin was totally in that show, Hob Goblin came later. But yeah they haven't aged well. Also the thread on Rogue's hair is more than a little ridiculous and slightly creepy.

Also it's some kind of heinous bullshit that Blade isn't even confirmed yet. He should've been in the game by now, if you ask me. I'd like a black character in the game who isn't based off a blaxploitation caricature or is some mystical otherkin from the magical continent of Africa. But besides that, dude is just super cool. And yes I'm basically basing that solely on the Wesley Snipes movie (the first one, fuck the other ones).

Sblargh

Banned
Dr. Strange is good when it's (wait for it) strange!

I didn't like Bendis take on him (Bendis has this thing where he removes a portion of every character's personality so they can talk to each other a lot), but 2012 defenders was secretly one of the best books around. Weird, convoluted and involved Dr. Strange almost breaking reality by accident, as he should.

Sblargh

Banned
The 90s Spiderman and X-Men cartoons were my gateway drug into comic books and other nerddom, though I didn't actually start reading comics until just a few years back. I still associate many Spider-Man villains especially with the cartoon, as I never got deep into Spidey comics for whatever reason. Also the Green Goblin was totally in that show, Hob Goblin came later. But yeah they haven't aged well. Also the thread on Rogue's hair is more than a little ridiculous and slightly creepy.

Also it's some kind of heinous bullshit that Blade isn't even confirmed yet. He should've been in the game by now, if you ask me. I'd like a black character in the game who isn't based off a blaxploitation caricature or is some mystical otherkin from the magical continent of Africa. But besides that, dude is just super cool. And yes I'm basically basing that solely on the Wesley Snipes movie (the first one, fuck the other ones).

If they are going with creating a mechanic of power stealing for Rogue, might as well put Prodigy in it, eventually, focusing more on copying physical powers. Black and bissexual!

Edit: Goddamn double post. Sorry.

Sunfire is significantly less popular than Dr. Strange. Strange is one of the cardinal heroes of the Marvel universe, basically the personification of the magical side. Whenever something supernatural happens, people go to Strange. He cameos in basically every show, as well. And he had 2 movies (a terrible 70s TV movie and the mediocre cartoon film). Sunfire is one of the 70s expansion to the X-Men roster to make them more international, and possibly the least popular, right after Thunderbird (who died in like the first issue of that 70s expansion).

He's also never been used very often within the X-Men stories, given the fact he's very antisocial and often goes back to Japan. Unlike basically all of the other 70s recruits, he's never been a mainstay of the X-Men.

Furthermore, there's plenty of fire-based heroes, some of which are more popular than Sunfire by a large margin - Human Torch, Ghost Rider, Firestar, and even fire-based mutants like Sunspot or Pyro are more popular than Sunfire.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man are the 2 movies that are gonna determine whether Dr. Strange is gonna be good or not. GotG because it's a nutjob movie that's just super out there, much like Strange would have to be, and Ant-Man because it's a movie based on a secondary character, much like Strange is.
If both movies end up good, Strange is gonna be awesome. If one of them is good, it'll at least be decent.

I could've sworn Hobgoblin was just the outright replacement because Green Goblin was dead in the books or something? I don't remember much of the 90s show (and I honestly don't want to either).

Well they HAVE confirmed Blade to be coming. They are working on him. He's gonna be in 2015. It's significantly more information than we have for a LOT of other heroes, though. :p

when i think Dr. Strange movie, i think that Nick Cage Sorcerer's Apprentice movie... :(

I just want Inception like scenes cranked to 100, but i guess that wouldn't be in the first movie.

LuuKyK

I think the characters I am mostly looking forward to now are (from the announced ones): Iceman, Rogue and X-23. These are the ones I will buy for sure.

Outside of those I really, really, want Elektra.

Top Bottom