• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Indignate

Site is getting hammered. Not getting any regeneration email.

According to reddit, they only have 500 keys, so I'm not holding my breathe.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah these sites are obviously not familiar with Illidan.

LuuKyK

What about Blink?

I have no idea how they would make her playable. Isn't she the character that creates portals? I think outside of that she would be way to similar to Psylocke, no?

xVXfGCv.png

Developer: Square-Enix
Platform: PC (Steam)
Release Date: 12/12/2014
Price: $15,99
Genre: RPG​

zqacPhs.png

As a result of Cocoon's fall at the end of Final Fantasy XIII, some of its surviving citizens now reside on Gran Pulse, and the world has adopted a new dating system ("AF" or "After the Fall"). In the three years since, new towns and cities have been established. While searching for Lightning, her sister Serah and the her new unknown friend Noel travel to old and new places on Pulse and Cocoon.

As they travel through time, some locations from Final Fantasy XIII change in appearance. Eden is no longer the capital and the Sanctum is no more. The city of Academia is the new capital, and the new provisional government is run by the Academy, a scientific expedition group wishing to use human technology to build a world that doesn't rely on the fal'Cie.

There is also a mysterious new world called Valhalla, the realm of death and chaos at the edge of time in the distant future, ruled by the goddess Etro.

For those unfamiliar with who Etro is, or with the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore overall, I highly recommend watching this video before playing the game.

Also, it you are interested in what takes place before and after Final Fantasy XIII, search for translations of the two official novels Square-Enix launched, called Episode 0 and Episode i.​

bIU2eGf.png

Serah Farron - The main protagonist of the game. She is Lightning's younger sister, Snow's fiancée, and the only one out of her friends that still believes Lightning is alive. Gaining the ability to have visions of the future, Serah journeys with Noel to find and save her sister. Her weapon is a bow that can transform into a sword, though its true form is that of her moogle companion Mog.

Noel Kreiss - The deuteragonist of the game. Noel comes from a future where he is the last surviving human in a world that faced destruction 200 years after Cocoon's fall. After a chance encounter with Lightning, he travels into the past to find her sister, Serah. He sets off with her to save Lightning in the hopes of changing the future. He uses two swords that are able to combine to form a spear in battle.

Lightning - Even though she is not playable, she serves as the narrator of the game. Having been attacked by the emerging chaos and subsequently taken to Valhalla, Lightning is no longer believed to be alive by anyone except Serah. In reality, she has become a knight, protecting the goddess Etro in Valhalla while warring with Caius. She wields a new gunblade resembling a combination of her Blazefire Saber and a traditional sword.

Snow Villiers - Snow left to search for Lightning two years after her disappearance, but is nowhere to be found at the time Serah sets out on her own search.

Hope Estheim - Hope is a 24-year-old young man, and the leader of the Academy, researching the world's history and looking for a new energy source for Cocoon in the absence of the fal'Cie. He is aware of Noel and Serah's travels through time because of his research, and helps them in their search for Lightning. He wants to change history in order to improve the world and bring back the people dear to him.

Caius Ballad - The immortal guardian of the seeress Yeul, and an ominous figure who follows Noel and Serah on their journey through time. He seeks to save Yeul from her cursed fate by killing Etro and destroying all of time itself. Caius is of equal strength to Lightning, and fights against her as she tries to protect the dying goddess, as well as Serah and Noel. Caius has the ability to harness his inner chaos to transform into the entity Chaos Bahamut.​

Bq63WdG.png

Historia Crux - Serah and Noel travel through time with a device called Historia Crux, its like a place where every timeline exists, so you can visit both the past and the future going through different gates. Also, some places might be visited during different timelines, which changes the way they look, and the monsters and characters you might.

Monster Capture - The pokémon aspect of the game. Three characters are used in combat—the two main characters and a monster. Monsters must be captured from battles before they can be used, and there are around 150 different monster types available to be collected. Captured monsters act just like the main characters, but can also perform a "feral link" attack that increases the chance of capturing another monster and have specific effects on the battle. Either of the two main characters can be selected as the one that the player has direct control over at any point; the other character and the monster are then controlled by the game's AI. By the way, this time, if the party leader dies its not game over, like in XIII.

Save Points Are No More - You can now save at any time be going to the main menu screen.

Paradigm Shift 2.0 - The battle system got a new look, but its still pretty much the same (which includes the stagger system and the same character roles). It did receive very important improvements though, the most important one being that it no longer takes time for you to change your paradigms, which means the changing animation from XIII is gone, making the battles much faster and dynamic.

Crystarium 2.0 - The Crystarium is a leveling and growth system, making a return from Final Fantasy XIII in an altered form. The system consists of constellation-style representations of the character's weapons and tamed monsters, made up of small and large crystal nodes, which can be accessed from the start of the game. There is one Crystarium system available for each monster and Paradigm role. Crystogen points gained in battle can be used to expand the Crystarium, unlocking bonuses to health, magic, or strength, or provide the characters with new abilities and slots for battle accessories. For the monsters, the bonuses are unlocked with items dropped by defeated enemies.

Moogle Clock - Monsters do not freely roam the map like in Final Fantasy XIII, but instead, they randomly appear as in the earlier Final Fantasy games. For a limited time after monsters appear, the player may attack them to gain a combat bonus (moogle clock green); if its yellow, the battle starts with normal parameters, and if too much time passes before combat begins, the player cannot restart the fight during combat (moogle clock red). When the battle begins, the screen transitions from the regular map to a separate battle screen as in XIII.

Moogle Throw - You can throw your moogle for it to get treasures you wouldn't reach otherwise.

Cinematic Actions - During some fights, players are put through quick time events (QTEs) that allows them to deal higher damage to foes and/or end certain battles.

Live Trigger System - When talking to characters, the game sometimes begins the Live Trigger system, in which the player chooses their response from several options; these dialogue options are generally not repeatable.

Mini Games - There are multiple mini games in XIII-2 like the Temporal Rift in which the player must complete different puzzles to close the rift and continue on. There is also a city in the game that let you play various games like Slots and Chocobo racing.​

f18W31r.png

- The Steam version of the game includes a range of the downloadable content from the original version, which includes: new opponents for the Coliseum (Omega, Lightning & Amodar, Jihl Nabaat, Ultros & Typhon, PuPu, and Gilgamesh), new outfits for Serah (Summoner's Garb, Beachwear, and White Mage), new outfits for Noel (Battle Attire, Spacetime Guardian, and Black Mage), outfits for Mog (A Wondrous Wardrobe), and new chapters that focus on specific characters (Sazh: Heads or Tails?, Lightning: Requiem of the Goddess, and Snow: Perpetual Battlefield).

- The choice for either English or Japanese voiceovers.

- 60 frames-per-second.

- Customizeable rendering resolution (720p, 1080p, and more).​

u0jtTdU.png

- The game's incredible music was composed by Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, and Mitsuto Suzuki. You can check out previews for all the 4 CD's in the official website for the OST.

- You can also check a collection of reviews from the console release of the game on its metacritic page.

- The official trailer for the Steam release of Final Fantasy XIII-2 can be found here.

- Check out the official steam page for the game for more info and updates on future patches.

- The system requirements are:

MINIMUM:
Processor: 2GHz Dual Core CPU
Memory: 1500 MB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® 8 Series/ ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series VRAM 256MB or later
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: Sound card compatible with DirectX® 9.0c
Additional Notes:
*Please be aware that save data processing may take longer than usual while SteamCloud is active, due to synchronisation with the server.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad (2.66 GHz)/ AMD Phenom™ II X4 (2.8 GHz) processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX™ 460/ ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 compatible sound card
Additional Notes:
*Maximum supported frame rate: 60fps
*Graphic Options
*Screen Resolution Options
*A game controller using Xinput is recomended for this game. (If using a DirectInput based controller, please use the driver side key configuration to adjust settings as required )

Enjoy the
chocobo
ride! ~

A thread by LuuKyK and Yoshichan.

mog_1.png

Drayco21

I have no idea how they would make her playable. Isn't she the character that creates portals? I think outside of that she would be way to similar to Psylocke, no?

Maybe she could be a summon-based hero who teleports in various alternate reality versions of characters from the Exiles series while supporting them from far off with her throwing energy blade things. Maybe a tree built around her teleporting and her ability to teleport enemies, a tree built around the Exiles, and a tree built around her blades?

Blink as a necromancer/summoner type class is actually a pretty cool idea. I still need to pick up SG and Emma, but I do like Rocket as a summoner.

KePoW

Banned
Maybe she could be a summon-based hero who teleports in various alternate reality versions of characters from the Exiles series while supporting them from far off with her throwing energy blade things. Maybe a tree built around her teleporting and her ability to teleport enemies, a tree built around the Exiles, and a tree built around her blades?

Ya that's some good ideas!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Marvel Heroes achievements are going to fucking ruin me, this game already has my privates in a vice grip. I may need help.

Uthred

I'd hate him a lot less if his Guardians wasn't completely irredeemable garbage.

Yeah, its almost unbelievably bad, apart from how good DnA's stuff was its just straight up shite. Like most of Bendis' Marvel stuff, I feel his writing doesnt really suit established characters in an ultimately "static" universe like Marvel. He ends up "Bendis-ing" up the characters so he can write his "trademark" dialogue and along the way ignore the characters established personality and history. Which is possibly why his Ultimates stuff was good. I mean, in isolation they generally make for enjoyable reads. But only in isolation. Its even weirder considering Powers was quality.

Characters you see the cartoon fans often asking for: Jubilee, Iceman, Carnage, Gambit, Venom, Apocalypse, Hobgoblin (cause Green G. didn't exist in the show) and Rogue.
As a matter of fact, there's a thread on the official forums complaining about the Rogue model they showed in that convention panel because her hair doesn't look exactly like the one in the cartoon. I'm not even kidding.

You are living in some serious denial if you think its only fans of the 90's cartoon that want most of those characters. I mean come on Iceman was one of the original X-men, Gambit, Venom, Carngage and Apocalypse are perennial fan favourites among the comic reading fanbase as well. Your argument is basically "Here is a list of some of Marvel's most popular characters and to support my weird hatred of people who only watched 90s X-Men cartoon I will pretend thats where their popularity came from"

I would come back to the game if they put in playable Jubilee. Otherwise call me when they add Kitty.

I hope they dont add Kitty. I dont know why but I just loathe Kitty Pryde, I blame every single thing even semi-modern that Claremont has written becuase apart from his seminal run on X-Men I feel hes amazingly over-rated and on his best day only average. She's basically the X-Men's Mary Sue (unless Jean happens to be alive that week to be it instead).

Sblargh

Banned
Marvel Heroes achievements are going to fucking ruin me, this game already has my privates in a vice grip. I may need help.

Help doing the achievements and/or starting a life of crime so we can do nothing but play Marvel Heroes all day? Count me in!

Teggy

She can't do that afaik, not without harming herself. It's the Vision that could do this.

She'll do stuff like take a broom handle and stick it through someone's brain to get them to talk. She did something like that in Astonishing X-Men.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Kitty was the star of the show in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Haven't read any other stuff involving her, but she was really sympathetic in that. That bit where she phases through the floor when she's doing it with Piotr was hilarious and sexy without being skeevy, a rarity in comics, and I loved her jabs at Emma.

Moondrop

Banned
She can't do that afaik, not without harming herself. It's the Vision that could do this.
It was established long ago that Kitty could disrupt machinery by phasing through it. It's not a long jump for writers that her phasing through someone's brain would disrupt the electrical signals. She used it infrequently through the 90s as the plot demanded. Although as Teggy suggested, she's more likely to threaten to phase something solid inside her foe.

I hope they dont add Kitty. I dont know why but I just loathe Kitty Pryde, I blame every single thing even semi-modern that Claremont has written becuase apart from his seminal run on X-Men I feel hes amazingly over-rated and on his best day only average. She's basically the X-Men's Mary Sue (unless Jean happens to be alive that week to be it instead).
First, Chris Claremont is the greatest X-men writer ever. Period. And whatever his modern failings, it should not diminish his past greatness.

Furthermore it's inappropriate to call Kitty a Mary Sue. She served a classic narrative role as the outsider, but she's also not a Mary Sue in that most of the characters did not instantly think she's amazing and invaluable. Kitty earned her place many times over, which includes this classic panel:

ProfXisajerk.jpg

I could give you at least half a dozen non-Claremont arcs that illustrate why I love Kitty. Instead I'll just sit back and await the schadenfreude of her inevitable inclusion. :p

Sblargh

Banned
She'll do stuff like take a broom handle and stick it through someone's brain to get them to talk. She did something like that in Astonishing X-Men.

That works!

It was established long ago that Kitty could disrupt machinery by phasing through it. It's not a long jump for writers that her phasing through someone's brain would disrupt the electrical signals. She used it infrequently through the 90s as the plot demanded. Although as Teggy suggested, she's more likely to either threaten to phase something solid into her foe.

She's always phasing through people, tho, if it was harmful, I think it would be stablished. Machines, yeah, it's stablished. What brings me to another point: it would be fun to have certain characters have some bonus (or penalty) against certain types of enemies.

Telepaths like Emma Frost could have their mental damage be less effective against machines (making her diamond form more appropriate for this); Spiderman and Daredevil could have a bonus against gang members and maggia just because that's the kind of lackey they fight. Dr. Strange could have a bonus against demons; Iron Man against machines; and so on.

Edit: tho it is a very frustrating problem; I like how this team communicates with their users.
http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/111563/zombie-midtown-instances-update

Moondrop

Banned
She's always phasing through people, tho, if it was harmful, I think it would be stablished. Machines, yeah, it's stablished.
Is your argument that (A) comic books are consistent in their depiction of superhero powers, or (B) if it's not part of modern continuity then it's unestablished? Both are absurd.

Kitty's phasing power has been portrayed radically different by different writers, and these changes are often forgotten just as quickly. Originally, if I recall, Kitty's phasing would temporarily stun or disorient those that she passed through. And then there are inconsistencies with various one-offs like air walking or "phasing out of tune with the Earth's rotation" (i.e. is she affected by gravity or not?).

I gave away my comic collection so I can't find any examples of the old phasing, but I'll post if I do.

Sblargh

Banned
Is your argument that (A) comic books are consistent in their depiction of superhero powers, or (B) if it's not part of modern continuity then it's unestablished? Both are absurd.

Kitty's phasing power has been portrayed radically different by different writers, and these changes are often forgotten just as quickly. Originally, if I recall, Kitty's phasing would temporarily stun or disorient those that she passed through. And then there are inconsistencies with various one-offs like air walking or "phasing out of tune with the Earth's rotation" (i.e. is she affected by gravity or not?).

I gave away my comic collection so I can't find any examples of the old phasing, but I'll post if I do.

I think if something is "forgotten just as quickly"; then it is not stablished. It's not an argument that is written in stone, but I do think characters have a kind of vanilla version. Again, it's not exact, but there are occurances that are frequent enough and have been for enough time. Kitty Pryde phasing through people and doing nothing to them is one, I believe.

I think if something is "forgotten just as quickly"; then it is not stablished. It's not an argument that is written in stone, but I do think characters have a kind of vanilla version. Again, it's not exact, but there are occurances that are frequent enough and have been for enough time. Kitty Pryde phasing through people and doing nothing to them is one, I believe.

Not a good argument IMO.

Wolverine regularly gets punched in the face by basically normal people and none of them ever break their hands; that doesn't mean it's not established that Wolverine's entire skeletal system is made of adamantium. (Example being Cyclops punching wolverine in the face repeatedly during their tussle in Schism)

Wolverine regularly punches normal people throwing all his weight behind them, and it rarely results in a shattered skull/broken bone and it's established Wolverine is carrying around an extra 100lb+ of weight. (Same example, Wolverine punching the Cyclops in the face during their tussle in Schism)

Wolverine is a master of quite a number of martial arts and is much faster than the average person and has been fighting/participating in battles for a century; but 9 times outta 10 he's written as a tank who doesn't know how to fight outside of charging his enemy. Example being...too many to list.

KePoW

Banned

WAT

How can you loathe Kitty Pryde? I can understand her not being someone's favorite, or being neutral on her. But I've never heard of anyone who actively loathes her. She's an awesome girl!

Sblargh

Banned
What is stablished there is that comic books don't follow laws of physics. :p

It is stablished that being punched by Wolverine is not the same as being punched by metal, regardless of wheter it should or should not be and it is stablished Wolverine rather to get stabbed and heal these days than dodge, regardless of wheter he should or not.

KePoW

Banned
What brings me to another point: it would be fun to have certain characters have some bonus (or penalty) against certain types of enemies.

Telepaths like Emma Frost could have their mental damage be less effective against machines (making her diamond form more appropriate for this); Spiderman and Daredevil could have a bonus against gang members and maggia just because that's the kind of lackey they fight. Dr. Strange could have a bonus against demons; Iron Man against machines; and so on.

This always leads to major imbalance for an online game, so it's not feasible and most devs avoid it.

Moondrop

Banned
Not trying to pick on anyone, it's just you find yourself in a bad place if you're arguing for consistency in superhero powers. To get back to Kitty, let's say you accept the proposition that her phases disrupt technology but not biology. But then by what mechanism does she disrupt machines? If your answer relates to electromagnetic currents, then you better have an answer why she can't disrupt the electromagnetic currents in the human body. Of course there is no answer you can reconcile with our modern conception of physics, so the writers have to sweep it down the memory hole.

In other news, I really will return to playing when Rogue is released.

For the record, I'm really loving how transparent Gazillion is about their patch/fix processes and such. Threads like this make me really giddy, because it's just really interesting to read and understand why certain things happen in the game.

You are living in some serious denial if you think its only fans of the 90's cartoon that want most of those characters. I mean come on Iceman was one of the original X-men, Gambit, Venom, Carngage and Apocalypse are perennial fan favourites among the comic reading fanbase as well. Your argument is basically "Here is a list of some of Marvel's most popular characters and to support my weird hatred of people who only watched 90s X-Men cartoon I will pretend thats where their popularity came from"

And do you know why Gambit, Venom, Carnage and Apocalypse are perennial fan favorites? Also, YOU are living in some serious denial if you think anyone who reads comic books on a regular basis likes Carnage as a character. The best attitude towards him I've seen so far from regular comic book readers was indifference, but most people loathe him, because he's a shitty character, and always has been.

I also don't have a hatred for the cartoon, or that it made certain characters popular, I have a hatred for people who constantly slam the table and yell for ONLY THEM being catered to with content, and that RITE NAO while shitting on everything they don't know/like. You won't believe how many temper tantrums are being thrown every single time Gazillion says "Character X is up next", with X not being the character they want (it used to be Gambit, then Psylocke, now it's Rogue). In every single thread about a new hero, or Gaz's future plans. Every single time. It's just really pissing me off. I'm not yelling because my most wanted character (Captain Britain) isn't being added, either.

J-Tier

I also don't have a hatred for the cartoon, or that it made certain characters popular, I have a hatred for people who constantly slam the table and yell for ONLY THEM being catered to with content, and that RITE NAO while shitting on everything they don't know/like. You won't believe how many temper tantrums are being thrown every single time Gazillion says "Character X is up next", with X not being the character they want (it used to be Gambit, then Psylocke, now it's Rogue). In every single thread about a new hero, or Gaz's future plans. Every single time. It's just really pissing me off. I'm not yelling because my most wanted character (Captain Britain) isn't being added, either.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Especially the "this character should've gotten in first" mindset. Boy does that get my goat, makes it even worse when it's the 90's cartoon fandom. I loved the cartoons too, but having read tons of comics, I'm not frothing at the mouth for Gambit, Rogue or Carnage.

I'm actually yearning for characters that are from lesser known teams like the Runaways or non-Americans like Alpha Flight or Capt. Britain. But there'll be "NO ROGUE NO BUY" regardless. *shrugs*

I think you guys are taking those posts too seriously (and the wrong way in some cases). People are just posting with extreme excitement.

Also, some people just want characters because of the interesting ways they would translate to game characters, not because of whatever good or silly stories they have in the comics.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The hair complainers are the worst, in my book. Holy shit guy are you actually staring at the hair while playing the game, are your pants around your ankles, what's going on. And they always compare the hair to how it looked in the cartoon and if it isn't EXACTLY LIKE THAT they are not satisfied. What the actual... Worse, TheDink actually responds to these lunatics. Leave them be in their caves.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What world cup? I'm playing Marvel Heroes. There is no such thing as a world cup.

BR #1!!!!!!!
lel

The hair complainers are the worst, in my book. Holy shit guy are you actually staring at the hair while playing the game, are your pants around your ankles, what's going on.

My parents are never around my ankles while playing. That would be ridiculous. Who wears pants while at the computer?

Also, some people just want characters because of the interesting ways they would translate to game characters, not because of whatever good or silly stories they have in the comics.

Yes, but they're not the ones who want Carnage playable. What'd Carnage do we won't already get with Venom, y'know? Carnage's abilities are virtually identical to Venom's. Or Jubilee. What's Jubilee can do that other heroes can't do as well, or even better? Her plasmoids maybe would look a bit fancier than Human Torch's fireball explosions, but that's about it. Or even Psylocke - I mean, ok, her katanas and projectiles glow, but what makes her so different from a Deadpool, other than visuals and damage type?

I see a lot of resistance against Mr. Fantastic everywhere because he's not one of the popular characters from the cartoon shows, or because people think he's a douche, or because they think "stretching is a lame power", or any combination of the above, completely ignoring that Reed might potentially be one of the most interesting characters gameplay-wise that'll make it into the game, ever.

I am also really much in favor of adding cool gameplay mechanics. But you know what? I think there would be more interesting candidates for power-stealing than Rogue, particularly because Rogue's remaining powerset would be very similar to that of a character already in the game (Ms. Marvel). I'd take a Meggan or even a Hope Summers as power stealer over Rogue any day - especially Meggan, since her powerset is extremely diverse beyond power mimicking. But I know Meggan has absolutely no chance to be in this game before Rogue is in, because Rogue is popular and Meggan isn't.

I mean, I've ended up liking characters in the game that I don't like outside of it (Cable being the prime example, I absolutely hate dumb time travel stories and Cable is a walking dumb time travel story and Liefeld's Mary-Sue on top of that lol). Again, it's just how some people are reacting to things that aren't exactly what they want, and being so obnoxious about it, that's grinding my gears.
Again do I bring up that thread on the official forum where they're crying that the Rogue model's hair is not close enough to the 90s show.

Yes, but they're not the ones who want Carnage playable. What'd Carnage do we won't already get with Venom, y'know? Carnage's abilities are virtually identical to Venom's.

Aesthetics play a role too. People (the reasonable majority) don't want Carnage playable as his own character, they just want him as a costume for Venom. A lot of people no doubt find him more visually appealing than regular Venom, and for the exact reason you stated, releasing him as a costume makes the most sense for both fans and Gaz.

Xetherion

What'd Carnage do we won't already get with Venom, y'know? Carnage's abilities are virtually identical to Venom's.

I don't even care if Carnage is playable or not, but this is a really poor argument. For one, what will Venom do we don't already have with Spider-Man? For two, from what I've heard Carnage actually does have different abilities. Apparently Carnage shapeshifts parts of himself into lots of medieval weaponry, which Venom doesn't do. For three, it's not always about new powers or powers we haven't seen before. I'm looking forward to War Machine even though he's very similar to Iron Man, simply because I've always liked his design better.

People want to play as their favorites, regardless of whether they bring new gameplay or not, and some people will have favorites that you hate. What, people have different opinions than yours?! Shocker, I know.

If you're so upset about people with opinions different from yours being vocal, either ignore their posts (I read the forums pretty much every day and I don't even notice the crap you're talking about), or get vocal yourself and show the devs there are others with an opposing view.

Top Bottom