• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

I don't even care if Carnage is playable or not, but this is a really poor argument. For one, what will Venom do we don't already have with Spider-Man? For two, from what I've heard Carnage actually does have different abilities. Apparently Carnage shapeshifts parts of himself into lots of medieval weaponry, which Venom doesn't do. For three, it's not always about new powers or powers we haven't seen before. I'm looking forward to War Machine even though he's very similar to Iron Man, simply because I've always liked his design better.

People want to play as their favorites, regardless of whether they bring new gameplay or not, and some people will have favorites that you hate. What, people have different opinions than yours?! Shocker, I know.

I say people want characters that are popular, somebody objects and says people want characters they think are gonna bring new gameplay.
I say some of the popular characters bring no new gameplay, somebody objects and says people want popular characters.

Can you please fucking stop circling me around? It's annoying that whenever I have a discussion about one topic, somebody barges in and says "BUT OTHER TOPIC!!". Yes, of course there's characters people want that have no new gameplay. BUT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT GAMEPLAY. So get the fuck off of my back.

If you're so upset about people with opinions different from yours being vocal, either ignore their posts (I read the forums pretty much every day and I don't even notice the crap you're talking about), or get vocal yourself and show the devs there are others with an opposing view.

Yes, the one guy who wants Captain Britain against the 500 people who flip tables that Rogue isn't next surely is gonna make a difference.
Especially encouraging to offer a differing opinion from the mainstream with Gaz's Dislike system.

Oh hey, guess what, I am vocal about it here on GAF, and all that happens is that I'm getting ganged up on. Just like I expected.

Uthred

And do you know why Gambit, Venom, Carnage and Apocalypse are perennial fan favorites? Also, YOU are living in some serious denial if you think anyone who reads comic books on a regular basis likes Carnage as a character. The best attitude towards him I've seen so far from regular comic book readers was indifference, but most people loathe him, because he's a shitty character, and always has been.

Theyre popular because people liked them in the comics? You arent honestly suggesting, or believe, that their popularity is based on the 90's cartoon are you? The demographic for the cartoon and the demographic for people who were buying stuff like Age of Apocalypse, didnt really have a huge amount of overlap. Apocalypse appeared in comics nearly a decade before the cartoon was created and was the main antagonist for the entirety of the late 80's X-Factor run. He was already a popular character.

As for the popularity of Carnage, he, and the various other symbiotes get spin-off title after spin-off title, if people werent buying them i.e. if they werent popular Marvel wouldnt keep pumping them out. Carnage was popular since his introduction, before the cartoons were even produced, and while he has suffered from over exposure was a decent enough character starting out. He's had numerous major storylines, starting from early stuff like Maxium Carnage on up. I also dislike the character but again, if a) you think he isnt popular with people who read comics (and b) his popularity is based on the cartoon), reality, and sales figures prove otherwise. Likewise Venom, who extensively pre-dates the cartoon was popular with comic readers since inception.

Yes, but they're not the ones who want Carnage playable. What'd Carnage do we won't already get with Venom, y'know? Carnage's abilities are virtually identical to Venom's. Or Jubilee. What's Jubilee can do that other heroes can't do as well, or even better? Her plasmoids maybe would look a bit fancier than Human Torch's fireball explosions, but that's about it. Or even Psylocke - I mean, ok, her katanas and projectiles glow, but what makes her so different from a Deadpool, other than visuals and damage type?

Why do people like things I dont like? What are opinons? People want Jubilee or Psylocke because they like the character, their apperance, their stories, their powers, whatever, so what Jubilee does that other heroes cant do is be Jubilee. If you're going to be so reductionist about it the vast majority of marvel characters fall into a handful of easily identifiable power archetypes, you can play the what does x do that y doesnt do with more or less anyone. But the characters are sold, as much, if not more, on "who" they are as on their mechanical implementation.

Similarly in a game with so little visual customisation, other than a small hanful of quite expensive options (which is a pretty big departure from standard ARPG practice). You are going to spend a lot, a lot a lot, of time looking at the character. So why shouldnt people press, within reason of course, for the appearance that they would prefer?

Theyre popular because people liked them in the comics? You arent honestly suggesting, or believe, that their popularity is based on the 90's cartoon are you? The demographic for the cartoon and the demographic for people who were buying stuff like Age of Apocalypse, didnt really have a huge amount of overlap. Apocalypse appeared in comics nearly a decade before the cartoon was created and was the main antagonist for the entirety of the late 80's X-Factor run. He was already a popular character.

Do you honestly believe Apocalypse would be nearly as popular as he is nowadays without other media being involved, especially with the heavy decline of comic book sales since the 90s?

As for the popularity of Carnage, he, and the various other symbiotes get spin-off title after spin-off title, if people werent buying them i.e. if they werent popular Marvel wouldnt keep pumping them out. Carnage was popular since his introduction, before the cartoons were even produced, and while he has suffered from over exposure was a decent enough character starting out. He's had numerous major storylines, starting from early stuff like Maxium Carnage on up. I also dislike the character but again, if a) you think he isnt popular with people who read comics (and b) his popularity is based on the cartoon), reality, and sales figures prove otherwise. Likewise Venom, who extensively pre-dates the cartoon was popular with comic readers since inception.

See above.
Also Maximum Carnage was possibly the worst 90s Spider-Man arc, and that says a lot if there's Clone Saga to measure up against.

Why do people like things I dont like? What are opinons? People want Jubilee or Psylocke because they like the character, their apperance, their stories, their powers, whatever, so what Jubilee does that other heroes cant do is be Jubilee. If you're going to be so reductionist about it the vast majority of marvel characters fall into a handful of easily identifiable power archetypes, you can play the what does x do that y doesnt do with more or less anyone. But the characters are sold, as much, if not more, on "who" they are as on their mechanical implementation.

See my post before yours here.

Similarly in a game with so little visual customisation, other than a small hanful of quite expensive options (which is a pretty big departure from standard ARPG practice). You are going to spend a lot, a lot a lot, of time looking at the character. So why shouldnt people press, within reason of course, for the appearance that they would prefer?

It's not within reason though. "Ohmagawd, the modellers suck because Psylocke's tits aren't exactly like I would like them to be to jerk off to them", "ohmagawd, the modellers suck because Rogue's hair is not exactly like the cartoon", "ohmagawd, Dr. Strange/Silver Surfer/Mr. Fantastic is coming out before Rogue? I'll quit the game, Gazillion sucks ass", "fuck Invisible Woman, who cares about her, we want Rogue next".

Every. Single. Time.

J-Tier

It's not within reason though. "Ohmagawd, the modellers suck because Psylocke's tits aren't exactly like I would like them to be to jerk off to them", "ohmagawd, the modellers suck because Rogue's hair is not exactly like the cartoon", "ohmagawd, Dr. Strange/Silver Surfer/Mr. Fantastic is coming out before Rogue? I'll quit the game, Gazillion sucks ass", "fuck Invisible Woman, who cares about her, we want Rogue next".

Every. Single. Time.
This. This crap is so prevalent in the forums.

Uthred

What a ludicrous display.

Thing about Brazil is they always try and walk it in

Do you honestly believe Apocalypse would be nearly as popular as he is nowadays without other media being involved, especially with the heavy decline of comic book sales since the 90s?

See above.
Also Maximum Carnage was possibly the worst 90s Spider-Man arc, and that says a lot if there's Clone Saga to measure up against.

Yes, according to you the people you are complaining about never buy comics, ergo they cannot influence a characters commercial success, Apocalypse, and the others listed, have got everything from (multiple) spin-off mini's, (multiple) stand alone runs, and have been central to or the entire focus of a number of cross-over events. This has happened numerous times both before the cartoons creation and in the two decades since. Marvel keeps using them because they are popular with the comic buying population. So they are equally likely to be in demand with the comic book buying population of the fanbase.

See my post before yours here.

Different people are talking about different things. Similarly the fanbase isnt some monolithic entity, some will want a character for reason X, lets say mechanics, some will want the character for reason y, lets say appearance and some will want them for both or neither of those reasons. Ideally Gaz would pick characters that are both popular (because they want people to fork over cash for them) and mechanically interesting (though given a lot of the archetypeal powersets have been covered this is likely to get harder and harder, where we'll be seeing changes primarily is cosmetic effects rather than mechanical ones).

Xevren

How bout dat Lady Mandarin costume coming for Psylocke? Was hoping that'd be coming for her, glad to see they said it's coming next.

I want original Betsy.
3255725-0126225310-Psylo.jpg

KePoW

Banned

Every. Single. Time.

This. This crap is so prevalent in the forums.

I don't read the official forums, so I haven't seen any of this. Maybe yall can stop reading them too?

I definitely agree there are a bunch of whiny d-bags there, so why read them?

Xevren

I don't read the official forums, so I haven't seen any of this. Maybe yall can stop reading them too?

That's one solution, though we do have complainers here too. It's a war we can't win man! Someone will drive by and complain about someone with a flat ass, it's just an endless cycle.

How did Silver Surfer end up? Still have 900 splinters but thinking of just hoarding them until Star Lord just because of my love of all things GotG.

J-Tier

Because those forums have direct access--as direct as you could on the internet--to Gaz devs and employees. The discussions there do have some weight on what Gaz considers as they keep moving forward.

Even then, I could pick out some similar quotes from a few here on GAF even, though that'd be a petty thing for me to do.

That's one solution, though we do have complainers here too. It's a war we can't win man! Someone will drive by and complain about someone with a flat ass, it's just an endless cycle.

How did Silver Surfer end up? Still have 900 splinters but thinking of just hoarding them until Star Lord just because of my love of all things GotG.

Surfer seems cool to play, but he doesn't bring anything new and exciting to the table (beyond really cool visuals). He's more movement-based than other characters, though, so if you wanna go for a mobility-based character, I guess go nuts? If you wanna save splinters, though, I suggest keeping 400 for Star-Lord and buying Reed when he comes out soon because it looks like he's gonna be super unique.

haha yeah, I was just making a comment about Greg Land. Are you familiar with him and the criticisms of him?

My name memory is probably the worst in the history of mankind, so I didn't remember his name in particular, but I knew about the artist who was accused of tracing artwork. So yes, I am familiar (just wouldn't have been able to pin his name).

KePoW

Banned

lol yeah, but on a much smaller scale on GAF. I think it's only me and Hoya Destroyer who complain about wanting sexy female characters =P

Silver Surfer is very cool in-game, has awesome graphical effects for his powers

Xevren

Surfer seems cool to play, but he doesn't bring anything new and exciting to the table (beyond really cool visuals). He's more movement-based than other characters, though, so if you wanna go for a mobility-based character, I guess go nuts? If you wanna save splinters, though, I suggest keeping 400 for Star-Lord and buying Reed when he comes out soon because it looks like he's gonna be super unique.

Have they confirmed what Reed's splinter cost will be? He does look pretty sweet.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't even know what hero I would like next; I think my favorites are already in. The young avengers will probably all be enhanced costumes (I think I read Wiccan will be a Scarlet Witch costume); I guess the Vision would be nice (and has a varied moveset); Nova is coming... hum... really drawing a blank here about some hero I *need* to have and it is not released already.

Xetherion

I say people want characters that are popular, somebody objects and says people want characters they think are gonna bring new gameplay.
I say some of the popular characters bring no new gameplay, somebody objects and says people want popular characters.

Can you please fucking stop circling me around? It's annoying that whenever I have a discussion about one topic, somebody barges in and says "BUT OTHER TOPIC!!". Yes, of course there's characters people want that have no new gameplay. BUT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT GAMEPLAY. So get the fuck off of my back.

Yes, the one guy who wants Captain Britain against the 500 people who flip tables that Rogue isn't next surely is gonna make a difference.
Especially encouraging to offer a differing opinion from the mainstream with Gaz's Dislike system.

Oh hey, guess what, I am vocal about it here on GAF, and all that happens is that I'm getting ganged up on. Just like I expected.

I actually said the popular character being discussed would bring new gameplay as well, but sure, just ignore that part of my post.

500 people flipping about Rogue not being next is a gross exaggeration. I just checked the latest Mr. Fantastic thread, and literally every reply is positive. Regardless of how many people oppose your view, you should still post it anyway for Gaz to consider, 500 vs. 1 is better than 500 vs. 0. Dislikes don't actually reduce your forum points, if you were worried about that.

And you haven't been vocal about wanting Captain Britain here on GAF. It was several posts before you even mentioned Captain Britain. You've been ranting about people expressing opinions different than yours, and flinging insults like X-tard at a group of people (including me) that you have wrongly lumped in with the whiners, and generally acting like the very same whiny brats you are ranting about.

Drayco21

I somehow had one with 705 points and I only vaguely remember hearing the name in the past. I think Giant Bomb's achievement tracking was tied to it in some way? I can't remember how I must have gotten the account.

Edit: Got a Jean Grey dupe.

Mupod

new random hero box giveaway: http://raptr.com/store/item/marvel-heroes
just sign up and purchase with the points you get for signing up

I already had tons of points from using raptr for other F2P stuff so I was good to go. Got Dr. Strange, which was probably my most-wanted remaining hero so hell yeah.

Still need to finish leveling Iron Man too, I'll get around to that once I get bored of FF14 again.

I'd never heard of raptr before, why would you expect most people to have an account already?

It's a good site to keep an eye on if you like free shit in F2P games. They haven't done much with marvel heroes though.

Dec

I'd never heard of raptr before, why would you expect most people to have an account already?

It's a very popular client similar to Steam, with an ingame overlay and play time tracking for games that can't be tracked (aren't run through) through Steam.

It also has a lot of built in features for screenshots and I think they recently launched a new feature similar to what the new consoles have where it's always recording your past X amount of minutes of gameplay and you can hit a hotkey to automatically record something that just happened and upload it. Built in Twitch streaming too I think, and apparently an extremely small (3% of fps) performance footprint.

Xetherion

I already had tons of points from using raptr for other F2P stuff so I was good to go. Got Dr. Strange, which was probably my most-wanted remaining hero so hell yeah.

Still need to finish leveling Iron Man too, I'll get around to that once I get bored of FF14 again.

Awesome, congrats!

Xetherion

It's a very popular client similar to Steam, with an ingame overlay and play time tracking for games that can't be tracked (aren't run through) through Steam.

It also has a lot of built in features for screenshots and I think they recently launched a new feature similar to what the new consoles have where it's always recording your past X amount of minutes of gameplay and you can hit a hotkey to automatically record something that just happened and upload it. Built in Twitch streaming too I think, and apparently an extremely small (3% of fps) performance footprint.

Cool, thanks for the info. I might use this.

Indignate

Got Psylocke.

I have tears in my eyes.

Now I just need Strange.

Pretty much because of stuff like this.

I somehow had one with 705 points and I only vaguely remember hearing the name in the past. I think Giant Bomb's achievement tracking was tied to it in some way? I can't remember how I must have gotten the account.

It seems like a lot of people at one point or another got an account on the site for one reason or another and then completely forgot about it. Plus, Raptr loves to email me every time I add someone new on any gaming platform to tell me how they also have a account there.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I got jean grey dupe, who is literally the only hero I have that is still at level one. Lol.

And you haven't been vocal about wanting Captain Britain here on GAF. It was several posts before you even mentioned Captain Britain. You've been ranting about people expressing opinions different than yours, and flinging insults like X-tard at a group of people (including me) that you have wrongly lumped in with the whiners, and generally acting like the very same whiny brats you are ranting about.

I was specifically referring to the whiners when I was talking about the people I call X-tards, and I explained why I call them that, in response to some other posters saying they don't like symbiotes (which I agreed with).

Heck, I've expressed multiple times, explicitly, that people who only watched the cartoons are not the ones I am targeting. You like the cartoon, or it's the only way you came in contact with Marvel? Sure, that's fine. I never said anything against it.
You like 90s characters and Liefeld's masterpieces? That's perfectly fine too. To each their own.

It's the people who whine so loudly and obnoxiously that are giving me fits of anger and disappointment, and because just about 90% of them (in my experience) are people who only watched the cartoons, I've dubbed them as such. If you WANT to consider yourself being a whining asshole who constantly insults the devs and people who don't agree with you on a constant basis for their own preferences, then sure, consider yourself what I dub "X-tard".

I have never insulted people who have opposing opinions in this regard. You could be the biggest Jubilee and Carnage fan in the world for all I care. I would perhaps question your taste in characters/comic books, but as long as you don't shove it down my throat at every possible opportunity to how awesome Jubilee is, and how only she should be the next character, and how nobody else should be considered before adding Jubilee, and how the developers and fans of other characters are dicks because they don't agree with adding Jubilee, or want her right now in the next 5 minutes, you are perfectly fine in my book.

Again, my positions on this topic:
- I want both obscure and popular content to be in the game, because I like diversity.
- I want less popular corners of the Marvel Universe explored, and not just the X-Men.
- Even though I don't like the 90s characters/comics/shows, feel free to like them. I don't care.
- I don't want to see every single thread about characters or upcoming content being full of shit from people demanding their favorite character RITE NAO or insulting the game/devs because their favorite character is not in the game
- I don't want people to be completely obnoxious when Gaz decides to release content they don't care about.

The last point is especially important because I've conceded several characters I personally don't like being really fun in the game, and that I trust Gazillion to make those characters appealing as well. I am actually looking forward to Rogue.

I know I'm being pretty sour about this topic myself, but I've been gangbanged multiple times by people whom I disagreed with, so don't blame me entirely for being bitter about it. Believe me, Carnage fans can be incredibly nasty.

And lastly, somebody brought up gameplay diversity, so I discussed about gameplay diversity (fine), and suddenly 3 people at once jump at me and tell me "omg but popular characters" while quoting my post about gameplay diversity, instead of going back to one of the posts I made about specifically those popular characters. That just pissed me off, and I feel justified in being pissed off at it because I don't like being led in circular discussions.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly dude you're being kind of dramatic over nothing. Ignoring dumb people on the forums is exactly as easy as it sounds. Just don't read them or close the tab if you're reading posts that make you wanna claw your eyes out. You'll be better for it.

Honestly dude you're being kind of dramatic over nothing. Ignoring dumb people on the forums is exactly as easy as it sounds. Just don't read them or close the tab if you're reading posts that make you wanna claw your eyes out. You'll be better for it.

That's what I normally do, but I thought on GAF I could at least express my frustration about this kind of people. But apparently I am in the wrong, and just as bad as them - if not worse - for venting said frustration in one place towards people whom I consider buddies.
This isn't the first Marvel game with an extensive roster that had this kind of people, either - it was the same with Ultimate Alliance 2, with Lego Marvel, with the Facebook game, and with MvC3.

Captain Britain is pretty cool though. The Alan Moore/Alan Davis Captain Britain stuff through the Claremont/Davis run of Excalibur is some of my all time favorite comic books. Its kinda obscure nowadays but if they ever tap into that for Marvel Heroes it'd be pretty rad, I'd love a Widget pet. Anything dealing with the multiverse, an Arcade one-shot, any of the Crazy Gang or Technet villains. Lotsa weird/interesting offbeat stuff in that corner of the Marvel Universe you don't see very often. Super unlikely but as the years go by and the more popular characters get added, ya never know.

Captain Britain and Black Knight seem very likely down the line - both have been Avengers, both have a small fan following (even if it's indirectly through Avengers). But I don't think we'll ever see Gatecrasher, Morgan le Fey or Mad Jim Jaspers, as sad as it is, because it's just such a unique and cool part of the MU. I really would love to get Otherworld as a region, too.

Captain Britain is pretty cool though. The Alan Moore/Alan Davis Captain Britain stuff through the Claremont/Davis run of Excalibur is some of my all time favorite comic books. Its kinda obscure nowadays but if they ever tap into that for Marvel Heroes it'd be pretty rad, I'd love a Widget pet. Anything dealing with the multiverse, an Arcade one-shot, any of the Crazy Gang or Technet villains. Lotsa weird/interesting offbeat stuff in that corner of the Marvel Universe you don't see very often. Super unlikely but as the years go by and the more popular characters get added, ya never know. Is there a Rachel Summers costume for Jean Grey yet?

Top Bottom