• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Sblargh

Banned
We can be laid back and require gear at the same time. :p

If the raid actually requires good gear to be completed (as opposed to be completed on record time so it can be run 30 times a day or something); then there is no fun to be had in punching a brick wall.

Lord Phol

I'd be up for some raiding, got 4 guys in pretty good shape. I'm more of a "laid back" kind of guy though. I usually do my best and I'm pretty good once I understand the mechanics, but I don't like the hardcore line of thinking.

Edit: Lol just tried Mr Fantastic and holy hell they went all out there! He's so fricking goofy and silly looking and I'm not even sure it's in a good way. He has some pretty cool abilities though. Outwit is interesting, inflate looks pretty nice and his signature is really well done. Don't think I'll go past 30 with him but should be fun to play around with for a bit.

SmithnCo

Does Cyclops have anything decent for solo-ing bosses? He's good at mobs with ricochet and whatnot but fighting bosses solo is always a total pain for me.

Reed is up on Test Center.

After playing him for a bit I have to say that I am genuinely surprised at how much I like him. They did an amazing job with his powers imo. He seems to be lots of fun to play.

There are some crazy animations going on for him. Probably one of the best animated heroes in the game.

I had the opposite impression. His moves are pretty much copy pasted from other characters just different looking animations. Speaking of animations, they're too slow for cosmics. The animation itself looks good, but I wont be able to see that when I'm running cosmics with characters that can actually run them. He's stationary for too many of his moves and is not tanky enough to survive channeling them. He has like no damage layering either.

Yeah, animations aside, Reed is currently nothing special right now. I'm also really disappointed in this trend of single animation boss killer moves. Why do basics have more interesting animation flow?

Does Cyclops have anything decent for solo-ing bosses? He's good at mobs with ricochet and whatnot but fighting bosses solo is always a total pain for me.

Just Optic Barrage. Terrible, I know.

Yeah, animations aside, Reed is currently nothing special right now. I'm also really disappointed in this trend of single animation boss killer moves. Why do basics have more interesting animation flow?

Is Reed's boss killer the giant gun thing? I was hoping to go with mostly stretchy moves on him.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Assume he's just letting everybody know from personal experience and collective knowledge that raids are too tough with gear under a certain standard, at least too difficult to be of any enjoyment to anybody.

This. I'm not interested in being all PRO LEET MLG, but there's just no point to going if people are undergeared because I can tell you in advance we're not going to make any progress. I'm just trying to make sure we don't waste everyone's time and buff timers and all that. It's just the reality of the current difficulty tuning. Like, I understand that people want a chill, casual raiding experience, I do too. That's exactly why I want to do it within the guild, because I'm not gonna get mad if we fail anyway, and I don't want some aggro guy yelling at people. I just don't want to waste anyone's time, including my own, obviously.

Is Reed's boss killer the giant gun thing? I was hoping to go with mostly stretchy moves on him.

It's his giant punch move. Just a sluggish punch that's no fun to watch repeatedly.

6jB7GuL.jpg

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Which is weird because there are a lot of heroes with animation cycles for spamming one move continuously, even moves that one shouldn't spam, like Wolverine's rending sweep (the AoE bleed move). I no longer have TC installed though so I'll hold off on judgment on Reed until he's out for realsies.

Drayco21

The new Spider-Man 2099 ongoing really makes me wish Miguel was in this game. Maybe that time-travel even the Omega System mentions is a 2099 thing? That would be radical.

KePoW

Banned
The new Spider-Man 2099 ongoing really makes me wish Miguel was in this game.

You mean an ongoing comix series? I haven't read anything new because I'm still trying to catch up from a few years ago.

Is the new Rocket Raccoon that came out this year any good?

Drayco21

You mean an ongoing comix series? I haven't read anything new because I'm still trying to catch up from a few years ago.

Is the new Rocket Raccoon that came out this year any good?

Yeah, they got Peter David back for it and everything.

I don't really like judging things as early as two issues, but this Rocket series seems better than Bendis' Rocket stuff, but nowhere near the DnA stuff.

Uthred

The new Spider-Man 2099 ongoing really makes me wish Miguel was in this game. Maybe that time-travel even the Omega System mentions is a 2099 thing? That would be radical.

Havent looked at Marvel in a while, but loved Miguel back in the day, does it continue on from the old continuity or from his time in Exiles? Have to say this game is convincing me to get back into Marvel comics, which I largely drifted away from post-Siege

Havent looked at Marvel in a while, but loved Miguel back in the day, does it continue on from the old continuity or from his time in Exiles? Have to say this game is convincing me to get back into Marvel comics, which I largely drifted away from post-Siege

Post Siege has been some of the best stuff from Marvel in a long time...and Marvel NOW was actually a really good creative team shakeup.

Well it looks like Reed's gameplay mechanics have fallen into place with today's TC build. He's much more fun. Though maintaining your Outwit stacks does highlight one of my biggest beefs with the game currently. The buff bar, at least for combat related buffs, really shouldn't be placed off in a corner of the screen. They need to move those buffs above the action bar.

Also all SIF items (Splinters, Runes, and event stuff) are pink and costume cores are aqua now. Your eyes have been warned!

Drayco21

It's intentionally distanced from the old stuff for new readers and set in the "present" marvel universe. Miguel got trapped in the normal timeline after jumping back there to deal with the Superior Spider-Man trainwreck from dicking up the timeline.

Post Siege has been some of the best stuff from Marvel in a long time...and Marvel NOW was actually a really good creative team shakeup.

Word.

Dec

I'd like to have insignias in a different color somehow. Be a bit harder because they come in green, blue and purple but possible.

They could give Insignias that orange colored pulse that runes/splinters have. It's not much, but it's something in the meantime till they come up with a better solution.

Also Reed's boss killer is no longer his boring Giant Punch. Lol, thanks Gaz!

Got my Emma Frost to 60 yesterday. Took me a while to decide on a build I liked and it ended up being a hybrid build. Does some good damage later on too. Didn't get a decent core for her in my run, but I'll keep an eye out with other characters now.

Started on RR last night, only did 10 levels, but looks fun already. Finally get to use that office attire costume that's been sitting in my Stash forever.

Typical Rocket build is max the aoe turret(supression iirc), max groot, max personal shield, max passives(maybe not scavenger I forgot if they changed it but think it scales poorly, great 1pt talent though) and max big flarking gun. Then put the rest of the points wherever you want, the low level turret if you want(it doesn't do great dmg even maxed but it's something), energy barrage for better single target damage(but not much), 1pt in random stuff.

Note that RR is getting his 52 rework soonish. Last I checked he was next on the list, probably by the end of the month or so. He should become a lot better. He's not bad currently but a bit boring to play, very passive gameplay imo, mostly you drop turrets and hold your fire button, and sometimes the basic when you run out of spirit(which seems to happen pretty fast in long fights). Also Groot often bugs out and do nothing, hopefully they fix that during the review, it's a general pet bug but is especially annoying when Groot is a large source of your damage.

I was intending on waiting until the 52 review to start RR, but he's the last I've got left to 60, so I'm just going to do him now and maybe prestige when the review drops.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Typical Rocket build is max the aoe turret(supression iirc), max groot, max personal shield, max passives(maybe not scavenger I forgot if they changed it but think it scales poorly, great 1pt talent though) and max big flarking gun. Then put the rest of the points wherever you want, the low level turret if you want(it doesn't do great dmg even maxed but it's something), energy barrage for better single target damage(but not much), 1pt in random stuff.

Note that RR is getting his 52 rework soonish. Last I checked he was next on the list, probably by the end of the month or so. He should become a lot better. He's not bad currently but a bit boring to play, very passive gameplay imo, mostly you drop turrets and hold your fire button, and sometimes the basic when you run out of spirit(which seems to happen pretty fast in long fights). Also Groot often bugs out and do nothing, hopefully they fix that during the review, it's a general pet bug but is especially annoying when Groot is a large source of your damage.

Yeah Groot barely attacks. I usually just plant turrets and spam energy barrage, then my basic shots when spirit runs out

Same, just around the end of Siege is when I stopped reading comics in general. Just got caught up with other things, coudln't afford them anymore. I just got a new job and with school finished a decent amount of free time though, and this game has definitely gotten me interested again. Anyone have any recommendations for me to read/catch up with post Siege? I'm already planning on picking up Remenders Uncanny X-Force since I started reading that (I think I've still got like the first 10 issues). Aside from that though not sure where to go. Did Future Foundation turn out to be anything?

Drayco21

Same, just around the end of Siege is when I stopped reading comics in general. Just got caught up with other things, coudln't afford them anymore. I just got a new job and with school finished a decent amount of free time though, and this game has definitely gotten me interested again. Anyone have any recommendations for me to read/catch up with post Siege? I'm already planning on picking up Remenders Uncanny X-Force since I started reading that (I think I've still got like the first 10 issues). Aside from that though not sure where to go. Did Future Foundation turn out to be anything?

Most of the "essential" events to the modern status quo are garbage and I can't recommend them, but in order that would be Schism, Fear Itself, Avengers vs. X-Men, and Age of Ultron, all of which have their moments of being "okay", I guess.

The only stuff I would call essential reading from a status quo perspective is Remender's X-Force run, because he carries all those plot threads forward into Uncanny Avengers, which you should read, especially as it builds to Axis, and Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation stuff because he's still building on it in his much more important books today. You'll also want to read Remender's Captain America, and Hickman's full Avengers line-up (Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, Avengers World), then read Original Sin. You have now read the "important" books for right now.

But it's probably best to not care about the timeline and just pick up the current books that are most interesting to you. Marvel Now was created as a new jumping on point for a reason. Originally I was going to recommend some solo books, but just about everything they've put out has been decent to really good as far as solos and ongoings are concerned- as long as you're not an X-Men fan, just pick up the most recent stuff that interests you. I'm required by all that is good in this world to thoroughly recommend Yost's Scarlet Spider ongoing and New Warriors.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
now that the dust has settled, whats the consensus on Surfer?

I thought he was fantastic, but I'm far from a pro player who looks for optimum builds and maxing damage etc..

Seemed like one of the quickest trash clearers around too, I had a lot of fun with him in Terminals and MM; he's very fast, visually rewarding and IMO did good damage.

God I hate Psylocke; I hate even more that I spent money on her...only to get her back to back. First I got her token with 175 shards...then again with the Raptr random box.

Ugh.

In other news...god it's going to be a long wait for X-23. I'm so willing to bet her skills all revolve around AS increase on hit; oh and probably bleeds on hit like her "dad".

Indignate

In other news...god it's going to be a long wait for X-23. I'm so willing to bet her skills all revolve around AS increase on hit; oh and probably bleeds on hit like her "dad".

That Trigger Scent.

I really hope she is this year. It worries me that it's something they only work with on the side because something on the side can be easily pushed back.

Was standing up near the Stash in Avengers Tower yesterday and someone dropped an Advanced Super Soldier Serum on the ground! Did a double-take almost as I never thought I'd see someone just get rid of one like that.

Seeing as I haven't seen one in about 150 hours now, it was great.

God I hate Psylocke; I hate even more that I spent money on her...only to get her back to back. First I got her token with 175 shards...then again with the Raptr random box.

I actually didn't mind Psylocke.

That Trigger Scent.

I really hope she is this year. It worries me that it's something they only work with on the side because something on the side can be easily pushed back.

I can Trigger scent totally being her ultimate; increased damage on bleeding targets, health and spirit regen, and increased speed/AS. They can completely crazy with it, that'd make me happy.

I feel she won't hit till next year, but I remain hopeful.

Was standing up near the Stash in Avengers Tower yesterday and someone dropped an Advanced Super Soldier Serum on the ground! Did a double-take almost as I never thought I'd see someone just get rid of one like that.

Seeing as I haven't seen one in about 150 hours now, it was great.

I actually didn't mind Psylocke.

They're rare? I'm pretty sure I have like 6 just sitting in my bank. I've never seen a Pym's Shrinking or Mental Focus Headband though :(

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah and it's already been a long wait for some of us. We seen her model and costumes last year but still not heard any real news aside from "side project, coming soon".

Teggy

That's funny as it's exactly how I got my Pym's Shrinking. I think I've had several Advance Super Soldier Serum drops, though.

Blank!

Assume he's just letting everybody know from personal experience and collective knowledge that raids are too tough with gear under a certain standard, at least too difficult to be of any enjoyment to anybody.

.. and hopefully not just being elitist/hardcore/sarcastic and whatnot.

It's very possible that he was being sincere.

Gear is important but not for the reasons most people think. It's about a 10 minute fight and you need SPIRIT sustain. A 25% medkit Core/River of Soul runeword is far more mandatory than 4 blessings/max legendary (on most characters, resorting to basic-attacks for most heroes is a substantial DPS loss).

People also gear "wrong" for raids. It's 99% a DPS race where most of the big hits are avoidable. Going in tanky is not nearly as beneficial as you'd hope. People confuse this with needing GotK's/HoD's and such and ignore the 'vanilla' artifacts that are far more useful:

Ziggeraut = mobility and mini-GotK, anyone without a teleport benefits GREATLY from this.
Shiar/Skrull Targeting = lots of damage to target not attacking you, which'll be the raid boss most of the time unless you're melee/unlucky. The uptime beats the downtime easily.
Blinding Brazier/Chili Pepper = even if you don't have burn, if you're in a party with a Witch, Ironman, Punisher, etc. etc. someone will have a constant "burn" effect up
Maht's Arrowhead = leagues better than pym shrink for raiding.

A legendary helps, especially max rank... so do blessings. So do omega points. But I wouldn't call it mandatory. Ditto with a max ultimate. All help greatly, but not dying and smart playing tends to trump (most) all of this.

Most of the "essential" events to the modern status quo are garbage and I can't recommend them, but in order that would be Schism, Fear Itself, Avengers vs. X-Men, and Age of Ultron, all of which have their moments of being "okay", I guess.

The only stuff I would call essential reading from a status quo perspective is Remender's X-Force run, because he carries all those plot threads forward into Uncanny Avengers, which you should read, especially as it builds to Axis, and Hickman's Fantastic Four/Future Foundation stuff because he's still building on it in his much more important books today. You'll also want to read Remender's Captain America, and Hickman's full Avengers line-up (Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, Avengers World), then read Original Sin. You have now read the "important" books for right now.

But it's probably best to not care about the timeline and just pick up the current books that are most interesting to you. Marvel Now was created as a new jumping on point for a reason. Originally I was going to recommend some solo books, but just about everything they've put out has been decent to really good as far as solos and ongoings are concerned- as long as you're not an X-Men fan, just pick up the most recent stuff that interests you. I'm required by all that is good in this world to thoroughly recommend Yost's Scarlet Spider ongoing and New Warriors.

Thanks for the reply. Pretty much what I was already planning on reading, minus Scarlet Spider and New Warriors. Thanks for those recs, I'll look into them. Also, I think I actually stopped reading during Fear Itself (like the middle of it), and I wasn't so impressed with that storyline. Any other comic recs from around that time? Doesn't have to be Marvel/superhero stories. I remember Chew being pretty awesome.

Dec

Gear is important but not for the reasons most people think. It's about a 10 minute fight and you need SPIRIT sustain. A 25% medkit Core/River of Soul runeword is far more mandatory than 4 blessings/max legendary (on most characters, resorting to basic-attacks for most heroes is a substantial DPS loss).

People also gear "wrong" for raids. It's 99% a DPS race where most of the big hits are avoidable. Going in tanky is not nearly as beneficial as you'd hope. People confuse this with needing GotK's/HoD's and such and ignore the 'vanilla' artifacts that are far more useful:

Ziggeraut = mobility and mini-GotK, anyone without a teleport benefits GREATLY from this.
Shiar/Skrull Targeting = lots of damage to target not attacking you, which'll be the raid boss most of the time unless you're melee/unlucky. The uptime beats the downtime easily.
Blinding Brazier/Chili Pepper = even if you don't have burn, if you're in a party with a Witch, Ironman, Punisher, etc. etc. someone will have a constant "burn" effect up
Maht's Arrowhead = leagues better than pym shrink for raiding.

A legendary helps, especially max rank... so do blessings. So do omega points. But I wouldn't call it mandatory. Ditto with a max ultimate. All help greatly, but not dying and smart playing tends to trump (most) all of this.

I feel like this is exactly what people here hated about raids, having to have a gear set and possibly even spec specifically for raiding, and limited options in gear and build diversity.

For me, they couldn't have made the raid more unappealing if they tried. Really hope the alternate acquisition methods for the gear pan out in the way everyone thinks they will.

Very solid character with a fresh gameplay style. Fast paced like Strange without requiring 20 action bars to optimize. Not perfect of course, but easily one of the more well designed heroes in the game.

RNG, I guess, but I've found them pretty rare. Have maybe 5 on all my characters in close to 600 hours now. And 2 of them were gifts.

When did you start playing? Adv. SSS used to drop very frequently last year to the point where I threw one on every character I leveled, donated a bunch, and still to this day have some 10-15 sitting in my bank. They had to have changed the droprate on them sometime earlier this year though because they've become noticeably more rare.

Blank!

I feel like this is exactly what people here hated about raids, having to have a gear set and possibly even spec specifically for raiding, and limited options in gear and build diversity.

For me, they couldn't have made the raid more unappealing if they tried. Really hope the alternate acquisition methods for the gear pan out in the way everyone thinks they will.

If you can run a cosmic terminal and clear it efficiently/timely, you'll do fine in raids. Your spec may not be as strong for raids specifically, but it doesn't REQUIRE a trade off in gear/spec. I've run Chaos Warp Scarlet Witch and it works fine.

If your build is specifically for lower difficulty based content (like a beserker barrage wolverine build or something) then yeah, it's going to underperform in a raid environment, which is meant to be challenging and actually gear/build your character a little more optimally.

There's a good chance that "green tier" raids will be the easier mode some people are looking for.

Thanks for the reply. Pretty much what I was already planning on reading, minus Scarlet Spider and New Warriors. Thanks for those recs, I'll look into them. Also, I think I actually stopped reading during Fear Itself (like the middle of it), and I wasn't so impressed with that storyline. Any other comic recs from around that time? Doesn't have to be Marvel/superhero stories. I remember Chew being pretty awesome.

Journey into Mystery is really good and it sums up all you need to know about Fear Itself. My advice is to get Marvel Unlimited since it has a HUGE back catalog. You can either check it out for a month for like 10 bucks or you can wait for Comic Con when they will probably have some kind of promotional deal.

KePoW

Banned
A legendary helps, especially max rank... so do blessings. So do omega points. But I wouldn't call it mandatory. Ditto with a max ultimate.

Max Ultimate? lol does anyone even have it that high, or what's the max anyway?

I own every character in the game, and my highest Ultimate I think is only 6

Top Bottom