• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Lord Phol

I'm a big D&A fan but I actually enjoy the new design of Gamora, and have no problem with Drax design. Got almost 700 splinters, hoping 800 will get me both. Looking forward to Nightcrawlers house of M costume!

Carm

Alright, question time. I've been saving my RIF/SIF boosts for later, but I got bored leveling Ms. Marvel tonight. So I popped some. I ended up with SIF a little over 400%, RIF a little below 400%. So I continued doing LQs. Killing bosses in terminals and then some in Midtown while there for LQs. I was only getting 3-4 drops from bosses, nothing above purple. The only cosmics I got was from Cosmic Doop, which I get anyway with no boosts as of late. Is this terrible drop rate normal even with boosts?

This was done after the servers got kicked offline.

Congrats, kepow! :)

watching videos, man, fantastic looks hilarious.

but i guess the biggest issue i have with this game is the lack of character diversity as in terms of movelists. I guess there is only soo many ways you can make a diablo class.

whats was the last really different hero released in terms of play?

Not counting Reed? Cause that one is really different (and also a huge blast to play!).

I would say Silver Surfer, actually. He's a mage, but also has a movement-based tree, and I don't think there's been a character so far that had an emphasis on mobility powers, at least not a mage-type of character.
Before that I would agree with Dr. Strange, not only for his incantation mechanic, but also because he has a huge amount of support type spells. There's no better support hero in the game than Strange, imo - he can AoE heal, clear CC and even tank a little bit (with his mirror image). Plus of course his damage output. There's other heroes who have some support abilities or auras, but nothing as big of an amount as Strange's.

Vecks

Alright, question time. I've been saving my RIF/SIF boosts for later, but I got bored leveling Ms. Marvel tonight. So I popped some. I ended up with SIF a little over 400%, RIF a little below 400%. So I continued doing LQs. Killing bosses in terminals and then some in Midtown while there for LQs. I was only getting 3-4 drops from bosses, nothing above purple. The only cosmics I got was from Cosmic Doop, which I get anyway with no boosts as of late. Is this terrible drop rate normal even with boosts?

This was done after the servers got kicked offline.

Unless it's the rotating boost event, that is pretty normal. That's pretty much the reason people don't buy RIF/SIF boosts. Assuming it does help, the rate at which it does help is so small that you won't see a noticeable difference until you compare thousands of drops.

The best way to make the most of it is to run cosmic terminals, where cosmic gear is at least mostly guaranteed from chests.

Manbig

I just logged in and am all of a sudden guildless. Did something happen? If not, someone mind inviting MannyBiggz when they get a chance?

Vecks

Apparently they increased the XP by 250% over the weekend lol.

Something was wrong at the start. I wasn't watching the clock, but reaching lv 20 with Reed felt like an hour and a half. But bumping it up to 250 did the trick. With some xp boost, at lvl 50 I was still leveling up every LQ or 2. I think it took less than an hour to get from 50-60.

LuuKyK

If there is anyone crazy in here its you kepow. :p

Edit: Btw, finally hit 60 with Psylocke. Exp this weekend has been so amazing. Wish it was always like this. lol

So playing Reed, he's sooooo damn squishy. I was running some red terminals with BreakTime earlier, and I died so often it was stupid. Didn't help I had low level equipment on, but jeez louise, you get killed even by trash mobs so easily.
His damage output is stupid though. His signature (the bouncy ball) deals ridiculous damage, and is also hilarious lol.

The only thing I really don't like about him is that his moves have such weird range. The barrage of punches has the same range as his basic, but his blown up superfist is only like half of those 2's range, so it's really difficult to position yourself properly - especially since you don't wanna get too close to enemies. :p

KePoW

Banned
So playing Reed, he's sooooo damn squishy. I was running some red terminals with BreakTime earlier, and I died so often it was stupid. Didn't help I had low level equipment on, but jeez louise, you get killed even by trash mobs so easily.
His damage output is stupid though. His signature (the bouncy ball) deals ridiculous damage, and is also hilarious lol.

The only thing I really don't like about him is that his moves have such weird range. The barrage of punches has the same range as his basic, but his blown up superfist is only like half of those 2's range, so it's really difficult to position yourself properly - especially since you don't wanna get too close to enemies. :p

Sounds interesting, haven't tried him yet

Blank!

Are the armour drive uniques any good?

The slot 1 isn't horrible, but it's worse than Dragonfang/Betty Ross. It's also not likely to beat (most) heroes own slot 1 unless it's terrible (Squirrel girls is bad, but Shockers/Deathseed ends up being much better too). Without better alternatives, it's not a bad choice though.

Portals helm is garbage unless you REALLY want brutal strike on slot 5... and you really shouldn't (especially with omega system).

Siege Artifact is pretty crappy too unless you're absolutely decked out in +power duration and even then, you'll be lucky to get 1/3rd uptime on the proc.

The only real advantage to the armour drive uniques is that it's "easy" to get max rolls. You can just keep rerolling until you get something acceptable. Not hard to get a 421 siege for example.

KePoW

Banned
The slot 1 isn't horrible, but it's worse than Dragonfang/Betty Ross. It's also not likely to beat (most) heroes own slot 1 unless it's terrible (Squirrel girls is bad, but Shockers/Deathseed ends up being much better too). Without better alternatives, it's not a bad choice though.

Portals helm is garbage unless you REALLY want brutal strike on slot 5... and you really shouldn't (especially with omega system).

Siege Artifact is pretty crappy too unless you're absolutely decked out in +power duration and even then, you'll be lucky to get 1/3rd uptime on the proc.

The only real advantage to the armour drive uniques is that it's "easy" to get max rolls. You can just keep rerolling until you get something acceptable. Not hard to get a 421 siege for example.

So should I buy at least one of the first item, just to keep for the future?

Blank!

So should I buy at least one of the first item, just to keep for the future?

You play enough that I have to imagine you have better slot 1 any heroes by now. The recipe isn't going anywhere either, so you can also hold onto drives for a better reward too.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, the current plan for 2014 is as follows:
Star-Lord next, then Rogue, then hopefully Nova.
Magneto planned for September, Juggernaut and Venom (in that order) afterwards.
Iceman is early 2015, and Blade is definitely 2015 as well.

Nova is likely going to be Sam Alexander as default, but they're going to try and get either a Richard Rider enhanced costume right away (free for UP owners), or a Sam alt at release and Rider down the road (both for free for the UP owners). They also apparently are planning something extra for UP owners for their patience in regards to Nova.

Gamora and Drax are both gonna be 400 ES, Groot is gonna be 200 ES, and Rogue might end up being 600 ES.

Both Reed's damage and defense are under-tuned right now. They never got around to a proper balance pass for him on the TC.

I don't think Reed's damage is particularly under-tuned (though that's of course more or less casual play, not high end stuff), it's just very oddly distributed, imo.

Gotta say, though, that AoE stun gadget of his is badass.

Sam was always planned to be the default. People were just getting false hope from the delay.

I don't think Reed's damage is particularly under-tuned (though that's of course more or less casual play, not high end stuff), it's just very oddly distributed, imo.

Yeah my comments about characters will mainly be coming from a high-end, min/maxing point of view. Reed, like basically every other hero nowadays, stomps story mode and green terminal enemies with ease. Walk into a cosmic terminal though and you'll see his flaws clear as day. Some of that odd distribution you're noticing is a result of his lack of final tuning.

Ragnaroz

Sam was always planned to be the default. People were just getting false hope from the delay.
Nope, people were getting false hope from the fact they've said they want Nova as Richard Rider but Marvel wouldn't let them. So, now they're tired of waiting and releasing him as Sam.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nope, people were getting false hope from the fact they've said they want Nova as Richard Rider but Marvel wouldn't let them. So, now they're tired of waiting and releasing him as Sam.

or maybe you shouldnt believe everything they say and assume that Gaz isnt this godly benevolent company different from every other, as is in fact, just like any other company after your money, and a Richard enhanced costume will sell like gangbusters because everyone hates Kid Nova

or maybe you shouldnt believe everything they say and assume that Gaz isnt this godly benevolent company different from every other, as is in fact, just like any other company after your money, and a Richard enhanced costume will sell like gangbusters because everyone hates Kid Nova

I really do think they sincerely wanted to make Rider the default - also, Rider has more regular costume options than Sam.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only like 26 with Reed but have found his damage lackluster. His cooldown powers do okay damage, but I was getting swamped in Midtown, for christ's sake. Couldn't handle 3 spawns at once. Don't know that I'm a fan of the cooldown rotation style of play, requires a bit too much action bar watching for me.

Lord Phol

I really do think they sincerely wanted to make Rider the default - also, Rider has more regular costume options than Sam.

Maybe, it's all a bit confusing. I've thought thet they after all this time at least had come up with a different solution, but basically it's Sam Nova with an Enhanced Richard costume. Funny thing is they are calling him the human rocket and apparently basing his powers on that, but Sam has never been called the human rocket and mainly uses his power to shoot laz0rs.

Dunno, I get a bad feeling about all this. Don't want it to turn into another "Alejandra" situation.

Also Raids are out of Beta soon, we should definetly try to schedule a green run or two! I'd really like to see all the encounters and stuff. Also playing something with the guild woulld be sweet!

Indignate

I generally agree with you.

But I want to believe that nobody would want to put Sam into their game unless they were forced to.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
They stealth changes omega level it takes roughly 30 mil now not 12. Everyone at first was saying they changed xp orb but it wernt, doomsaw looked into the xp orb change n saw no difference but decided to do the 250% because he can lol.

bear in mind every dev has ignored the omega xp change but they were quick to answer the xp orb stuff.

alot of people are saying they need to be more clear with changes, they also stealth increased dmg n health in cosmic terminals.

Ofcourse official forums will have complaints but patch notes are to list changes so there shouldnt be this stuff.

my take: doomsaw saw the posts bout the omega never replied but did the 250% to stop people noticing and be quiet then come next week they will say nothing changed its just the server buff confusing you. Which they did before

Ragnaroz

alot of people are saying they need to be more clear with changes, they also stealth increased dmg n health in cosmic terminals.
Not just cosmic terminals, all of them. I have no problem with them making the game harder in any way. In fact, I welcome that. What I do have a problem with, though, is their recent shadiness. Between the previous prestige ninja nerf attempt and all the ninja nerfs from this patch, I have decided to withold from any further purchases until such a time comes when they start being open and honest about everything again.

They need to understand, the nerfs aren't the real problem here, the way they are handling them is.

Ofc, in my statement above, I'm assuming that this is not a bug. It might've looked like one at first, but after 2 days of complete silence(yes, I know it's the weekend but they have posted on the forums) it really doesn't look like it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not just cosmic terminals, all of them. I have no problem with them making the game harder in any way. In fact, I welcome that. What I do have a problem with, though, is their recent shadiness. Between the previous prestige ninja nerf attempt and all the ninja nerfs from this patch, I have decided to withold from any further purchases until such a time comes when they start being open and honest about everything again.

They need to understand, the nerfs aren't the real problem here, the way they are handling them is.

Ofc, in my statement above, I'm assuming that this is not a bug. It might've looked like one at first, but after 2 days of complete silence(yes, I know it's the weekend but they have posted on the forums) it really doesn't look like it.

I think Gaz in general has been shady as shit the last few months, and this coming from someone that has bought prtty much every content they put out

m3N1fiz.jpg

Fuckyeah.gif

Been a great weekend with the 100% boost. Leveled up the last few runs I had and did Mr. Fantastic 1-60 today.

He's awesome, I really like him.

I'm only like 26 with Reed but have found his damage lackluster. His cooldown powers do okay damage, but I was getting swamped in Midtown, for christ's sake. Couldn't handle 3 spawns at once. Don't know that I'm a fan of the cooldown rotation style of play, requires a bit too much action bar watching for me.

I dunno when you unlock it, but there's that punch barrage. You deal pretty significant damage in a cone for a period of time and you can turn around while doing it. Is really good against trash mobs while you're waiting for the Outwit stuff to go off cooldown.
And later in the lvl 30 area you get a gadget that AoE stuns and deals damage too, and that one is pretty awesome as well.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I think Gaz in general has been shady as shit the last few months, and this coming from someone that has bought prtty much every content they put out

like taking retcons and unstable out of loot table and deny it ? they have done quite a bit recently they presitge thing hit them hard, im glad people on those marvel forum are calling there bullshit. they might go over the top sometimes but more often than not recently the stuff being called out is right

Rhaknar

like taking retcons and unstable out of loot table and deny it ? they have done quite a bit recently they presitge thing hit them hard, im glad people on those marvel forum are calling there bullshit. they might go over the top sometimes but more often than not recently the stuff being called out is right

among other things. I still love the game and am excited to get back to it in a few weeks when theres more new characters out, but this idea that Gaz is somehow this wonderful company that cares so much about the fanbase and shit rubs me the wrong way

Gothos

Took Ms. Marvel for a spin to 26lvl and god, her ranged build just sucks :< I had high hopes for that second basic attack that unlocks and 24lvl and maaaaaan, it has so shitty animation :( Oh well, the look for good ranged character continues. Hopefuly Star Lord will be godly.

among other things. I still love the game and am excited to get back to it in a few weeks when theres more new characters out, but this idea that Gaz is somehow this wonderful company that cares so much about the fanbase and shit rubs me the wrong way

I mean, they are a company first and foremost, and they have been doing shitty things in the past (and will be doing shitty things in the future no doubt), but I still think that they are an incredible dev because they actually listen to most feedback and are extremely transparent with their plans for upcoming content.

A lot of devs, even those for on-going games, when it comes to new content they just say "we're planning on doing new content", and perhaps reveal the new features, and then they shit it in front of you, take the money out of your wallet and leave to be never heard from again until they have new content.

I guess people praising Gaz to be awesome just put it into perspective - Gaz is much better of a company than most other publishers or developers in the industry.

That said, they have been doing a lot more things to hurt their playerbase lately, so yeah... looks like they're going down that road too.

Blank!

It made me shady but I will say, most (but not all) of the time, when it's resolved it's in the players benefit. I've gotten a retcon drop every day/every other day since they re-added them and an unstable 1 or 2 a week.

It's a shame no one has made a decent crusade out of teamups yet.

KePoW

Banned
I don't care about nerfs to specific characters. I think players in all MMOs whine way too much about that. From the beginning of MH, Gaz should have never made the statement that they will not nerf characters... that was stupid.

Nerfs are absolutely *NECESSARY* in all multi-player class-based games. MH is not strictly a single-player game. When I want to play Midtown or XDEF, I'm forced with other players -- which is perfectly fine because I enjoy that.

But if you've got a particular class that's completely out of whack, that affects my game and that's why you need nerfs. Like that period when Hulk was literally two or three shotting Midtown bosses, that pissed me off because it's to the detriment of my fun.

So I never take the side of anti-nerf crowd, because they just don't know game design.

However, there have certainly been a few issues throughout MH's history that I didn't agree with. But they're more of the general overall vision type --

1.) tying costumes to Fortune Cards (this is self explanatory, it's crap)

2.) game too easy in general (although this has gotten better with cosmic terms and SuperHeroic Loki, etc)

3.) removal of prestige costumes (this seriously pissed me off, glad they reverted this quickly)

All the other stuff people complain about, I don't really care. Prices of characters, prices of costumes, loot drop rates, Omega XP required, Nova, etc... none of that bothers me.

Top Bottom