• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Sblargh

Banned
Promising never to nerf might go to far, but I agree with the general philosophy of not nerfing. One thing I'm enjoying about the game (which might tie into your complain that it is too easy) is that every character so far seems OP, i.e., every character can seemingly deal with everything. As it should. Leveling every character there is a point where you go "wow, this is crazy good".

Having said that, the recent increase in difficulty in cosmic terminals make sense. You shouldn't be able to get a fresh lvl 60 character and just rush through church of purification to get 3 cosmic chests.

KePoW

Banned
Promising never to nerf might go to far, but I agree with the general philosophy of not nerfing. One thing I'm enjoying about the game (which might tie into your complain that it is too easy) is that every character so far seems OP, i.e., every character can seemingly deal with everything. As it should. Leveling every character there is a point where you go "wow, this is crazy good"

This is a general disagreement in game philosophy, which I understand. No right or wrong, just a personal choice (I personally like harder games).

However let's put that angle aside. Let's look at the game *development* side:

I think we all know that this development industry is in perpetual crunch mode, that's well documented. So if you've got a game where there's 30+ classes, but one particular power on one character is noticeably out of line... why the hell would a dev spend a whole bunch of extra time changing 30+ classes, when they could just make one number change to one class??

Doing the former choice makes absolutely no sense to me, it's a complete waste of the dev's resources.

Quite frankly all the non-industry armchair people out there have no clue and no perspective, if they think it's better to change 30+ classes in that example.

Sblargh

Banned
This is a general disagreement in game philosophy, which I understand. No right or wrong, just a personal choice (I personally like harder games).

However let's put that angle aside. Let's look at the game *development* side:

I think we all know that this development industry is in perpetual crunch mode, that's well documented. So if you've got a game where there's 30+ classes, but one particular power on one character is noticeably out of line... why the hell would a dev spend a whole bunch of extra time changing 30+ classes, when they could just make one number change to one class??

Doing the former choice makes absolutely no sense to me, it's a complete waste of the dev's resources.

Quite frankly all the non-industry armchair people out there have no clue and no perspective, if they think it's better to change 30+ classes in that example.

On a PvE game, frankly, I say let the power be out of line as long as it is not making everyone flock to the character. I think it only becomes balancing hell when PvP starts; then you have to start to really dedicate yourself to balancing.

On PvE, as long as the gap isn't too big, diversity trumps balance, in my opinion.

Edit: I'll say that the problem of balancing in PvE is when it starts to feel that you are "missing out" by playing your favorite character because the other option is that much better. Or when groups start to demand X character if you want to raid with them or blocking X character because it is too weak. Other than that, as long as playing the character feels good and powerful, it doesn't matter that the other characters are more powerful.

KePoW

Banned
On a PvE game, frankly, I say let the power be out of line as long as it is not making everyone flock to the character. I think it only becomes balancing hell when PvP starts; then you have to start to really dedicate yourself to balancing.

On PvE, as long as the gap isn't too big, diversity trumps balance, in my opinion.

Edit: I'll say that the problem of balancing in PvE is when it starts to feel that you are "missing out" by playing your favorite character because the other option is that much better. Or when groups start to demand X character if you want to raid with them or blocking X character because it is too weak. Other than that, as long as playing the character feels good and powerful, it doesn't matter that the other characters are more powerful.

I can somewhat understand your point.

But have you seen how crazy forum players can get, if a particular class is even 5% better than others?? They go ballistic and still think that's way out of whack.

So who's to say where that line is.

Sblargh

Banned
I can somewhat understand your point.

But have you seen how crazy forum players can get, if a particular class is even 5% better than others?? They go ballistic and still think that's way out of whack.

So who's to say where that line is.

Metrics, I guess, but we don't have that info.

Dec

Glad to read this:

Note that the Omega system is set up to take an average player, with no boosts, 1 full year to complete.

Some people in the GAF sg were implying I was crazy for thinking you should be able to complete it at all.

KePoW

Banned
Some people in the GAF sg were implying I was crazy for thinking you should be able to complete it at all.

I wasn't saying it's crazy, I was just saying I don't care and it's not a goal of mine. And I certainly don't think Gaz means it to be a goal for the average player.

I assume they know that most players of a F2P game are not going to have anywhere near 1 year /played

Finally got not one but two level 60 characters, Cyclops and Human Torch. Think I will do Luke Cage next while the XP is still good for a change of pace. Tried random loot box earlier and got another Gambit ... scared to go again lol. Might just hold out for a team up/Ms. Marvel guarantee

Dec

I wasn't saying it's crazy, I was just saying I don't care and it's not a goal of mine. And I certainly don't think Gaz means it to be a goal for the average player.

I assume they know that most players of a F2P game are not going to have anywhere near 1 year /played

They say in that thread they are balancing it around the average player that plays without boosts and doesn't min max. Obviously they mean the average player that actually plays, someone that plays for a month then never again isn't anyone they want to design anything around.

I'm curious where you guys are at with that? I'm at 175ish, but I figure I'm probably way behind the curve.

I'm just shy of 700 I think, haven't played much the past week though.

Xetherion

I have 202 Omega points. I don't know where the hell they got the idea they needed to raise the xp required, if they're balancing around the average player. I play an average of 2 hours a day I think, that can't be much lower than the "average" player.

Uthred

I have 202 Omega points. I don't know where the hell they got the idea they needed to raise the xp required, if they're balancing around the average player. I play an average of 2 hours a day I think, that can't be much lower than the "average" player.

In this case average is different from casual, looking at the numbers linked in that reddit post "average" is probably ~4 hours a weekday and all weekend.

KePoW

Banned
In this case average is different from casual, looking at the numbers linked in that reddit post "average" is probably ~4 hours a weekday and all weekend.

wat ?!?

That is nowhere near average by any definition. That is serious hardcore to the extreme. Whoever thinks that's a definition of average is off their rocker!

Vecks

At first I thought average would mean casual but, yeah, that's not necessarily true.
I wouldn't be surprised if the average player did play closer to 3-4 hours a day.
I'm sure the game does get a lot of teens/college kids (especially since it's a free2play), and they will definitely skew the average up. Some of these kids just play nonstop whenever they are on break.

Dec

I feel like the "average" is actually probably 3+ hours a day. It takes almost that long to just do shared quests and get cube shards out of green and red terms. Nevermind actually getting some leveling in afterwards.

Well it's also important to note that those four hours a night, and 8-16 hours on the weekend would have to be spent actively farming omega points at level 60. If you're leveling characters or prestiging, the xp gain is going to be very small. I don't think any average player logs on to their 60 and just farms xp constantly.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I feel like the "average" is actually probably 3+ hours a day. It takes almost that long to just do shared quests and get cube shards out of green and red terms. Nevermind actually getting some leveling in afterwards.

I doubt the "Average" player does every terminal for cube shards every day. I know I don't.

Dec

I doubt the "Average" player does every terminal for cube shards every day. I know I don't.

Meh. Seems like a pretty efficient use of time. If they aren't, they probably should. Takes like 20 minutes and you get two fortune cards, which have given me countless boosts and Deadpool unmasked + DOFP Wolverine for free + that metal ironman pet.

I think that's the big difference. Most of us are spending our time leveling characters - and in the case of level 1-50, the XP gain is pretty low.

Those who are farming with 60's purely for Omega with pro-Omega (Cyk) XP builds are racking up those points like crazy.

On "average" player; It doesn't sound totally crazy to me. I work, I have obligations, but still managed to play a good chunk of the weekend and I play at least 2 hours on most nights of the week.

KePoW

Banned

I highly doubt that people will play consistently at that level for a full year. I've taken several breaks from this game already.

This x100

I would say I'm one of the most hardcore MH players on GAF. But even I took a break from the game for about six months straight.

And no way a normal person completes all Shared Quests plus all Greens & Reds seven days a week. That is just not the average player.

Lord Phol

I got like ~280 omega points and this is one of my most played game ever. I don't think I'll be even close to full omega points in a year, which is a bit discouraging considering the advantage they give. If they are gonna tune the difficulty with omega points in mind people who hasn't reached 2000+ are going to get screwed and if they don't then the people with 7000 points are going to be vastly overpowered. This is even worse in a raid and pvp environment.

Uthred

There were intimations that we would be getting Omega Points from sources other than "earning them", login bonuses spring to mind for one.

I think the biggest beef I had over the weekend with the Omega Points was the cost of Goblin Formula being raised.

Sure, it was probably undervalued, but damn it was disappointing to lose 2 whole +Fighting points out of the change! Haha..

Ragnaroz

I got about 600 points, but I did play a lot during June since I'm still new. I'd definitely have a lot more if I didn't spend most of the time leveling heroes(and I still do), and I've only just hit 100% sinergy XP, so I still have ways to go.

Lord Phol

In the Omega System patch notes doomsaw stated:

We realize people reading the forums are generally not the average player and will likely max out much quicker than a year, but we balance the system for the people who usually don't read the forums and don't play every day.

I don't really feel that's true atm, but we are still far off from a year so we will see how it pans out.

Mupod

Finished Nightcrawler yesterday, and burned through squirrel girl 1-60 while watching evo today. Wanted her synergies since she's one of the few characters I have with synergies that do something for Strange.

Randomed Moon Knight and Miss Marvel with my last two boxes, which is pretty funny because those are the characters my friends bought/saved for. Moony looks like something I'd actually play, Marvel has synergies that could be great for Rocket Raccoon when he gets his review.

Might try and marathon Hawkguy tomorrow - he's actually the first unlock I ever got, back when the game launched and you could only get the boring starter heroes as guaranteed drops. His synergies are great for everyone now. I also have Iron Man at 37 already, but I'm in no rush with him.

Also my new strategy is trying to reroll to story legendaries that are in chapter 7 so I can go take out Mr Sinister for his free exp potion. I don't care about getting extra power points and such for characters I don't plan to play much of, but I really wish they would put in some kind of system to track/expedite these free boosts. I know they put them in so the hub areas won't be empty but it's incredibly tedious to do the story 3 times on every single character. Even skipping nonessential stuff with an alt guide.

I think the biggest beef I had over the weekend with the Omega Points was the cost of Goblin Formula being raised.

Sure, it was probably undervalued, but damn it was disappointing to lose 2 whole +Fighting points out of the change! Haha..

disappointing since that's what I was planning to spec Taskmaster into.

It's kinda dumb how the only people who will get to have tons of omega points are the ones who played a lot since it was implemented, and new (or returning) players get boned with the new values. But I got some super-fast leveling for the weekend as a result so whatever.

Got Reed up to 60 (my third!). He's super fun to play but I'm glad it's over, because it's a bit annoying have bosses or even blue/yellow elites sneezing on me and going down lol.

don't really play mp content much, but how does one get like xdefense not to runlike ass? I just feel like my 3570k 16gb 780 should be able to handle this a bit better.

don't really play mp content much, but how does one get like xdefense not to runlike ass? I just feel like my 3570k 16gb 780 should be able to handle this a bit better.

The game in general runs like ass it seems. In some patches it runs amazing, then the next it will run terrible. If I run it windowed fullscreen it has stutter all over the place. If I fullscreen it seems to run more smoothly but still some issues no matter how much I tweak, turn up or down the settings.

Got Reed up to 60 (my third!). He's super fun to play but I'm glad it's over, because it's a bit annoying have bosses or even blue/yellow elites sneezing on me and going down lol.

I actually put an Excalibur on him and an Uru-Forged Plate, as well as running his constitution aura. He didn't seem too squishy once all that defense started kicking in.

I found Hawkeye to be incredibly squishy and I just want to get him to level 52 to get rid of a hero token. I just couldn't bring myself to get him beyond 47.

aborath

Neo Member
So I just got my Scarlet Witch to 60. She's my third after Invisible Woman and Black Panther. I've got a 51 Cyclops, but he just isn't fun to play. I might try to squeeze a level out of him a week just to get the bonus, but man... roll, ricochet, repeat, ad nauseum. SW is great though. At some point, she went from being so-so to "I AM BECOME DEATH!" I only wish her Ult. did something. Needs her New 52 review something fierce.

Not sure where I want to go from here. Maybe I'll concentrate on gearing SW or BP for raiding, and skip on leveling any more characters until Rogue hits in August.

Does anyone know where I can find the actual bonus listed for having multiple level 60 characters? I've seen different values mentioned.

Does anyone know where I can find the actual bonus listed for having multiple level 60 characters? I've seen different values mentioned.

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/47946/hero-synergy-experience-bonus

1 hero at level 60 = +30% xp bonus.

2 heroes at level 60 = +20% xp bonus (50% total).

3 heroes at level 60 = +15% xp bonus (65% total).

4 heroes at level 60 = +10% xp bonus (75% total).

5+ heroes at Level 60 = +5% xp bonus for each hero (in addition to the 75% bonus from the first 4 heroes you have at level 60).

Additionally, each level 30 hero grants a 1% XP bonus and each level 50 hero grants a 3% XP bonus.

This is what is in-game at the moment. Under your stats you can hover over synergy xp bonus and it should give you this information. (I always forget the bonus amounts and constantly check that thing)

aborath

Neo Member

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's always best to do the random box. Always.

dont-believe-his-lies.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
So I just got my Scarlet Witch to 60. She's my third after Invisible Woman and Black Panther. I've got a 51 Cyclops, but he just isn't fun to play. I might try to squeeze a level out of him a week just to get the bonus, but man... roll, ricochet, repeat, ad nauseum. SW is great though. At some point, she went from being so-so to "I AM BECOME DEATH!" I only wish her Ult. did something. Needs her New 52 review something fierce.

Not sure where I want to go from here. Maybe I'll concentrate on gearing SW or BP for raiding, and skip on leveling any more characters until Rogue hits in August.

You can go ino the inventory, hit the stats tab on the left superior corner and see this info, along with a lot of others, on the tooltips for each stat.

I never picked up a random box, preferring to focus on characters I wanted to play. It took a long while (and several pre-order purchases), but I've now amassed the full current roster.

I'm sitting at almost 500 splinters. I'll keep my eyes out for future additions that I like. Mr. Fantastic is starting to feel decent in the 30s. He was straight garbage in his teens and twenties.

Top Bottom