• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Vecks

Colossus is a good melee tank. He's one of the slower heroes, but that can be remedied with some move speed, like a snakeroot clan relic, or a zigg at higher levels. I play him with a rather simple build. He has a punch that does more damage based on how much max HP he has, so I just pump up his hp as much as possible (up to 39k hp now) and punch away.

Psylocke is more of a mixed bag. I find her fun, but her skills can be buggy. And she doesn't really have any abilities that stand out. Liking the character will certainly be a factor.

I haven't played Ghost rider yet. Daredevil is a good choice if you want to try something very different from Scarlet Witch, since Storm, Invisible Woman and Jean are mostly Ranged AoE. Storm is fun and probably has one of the most OP abilities in the game (or it could be the most OP, not sure yet). Invisible Woman is fairly strong and good at surviving, but I find her boring to play since she doesn't really have to worry much about positioning or aiming or spirit management... or hp recovery. Pheonix is also kind of like that too, but she can at least look pretty flashy with her fire shooting everywhere.

But I also do recommend (if you haven't already) trying out cosmic terminals with Scarlet Witch. It's a lot more fun since you can die pretty easily, even if you Chaos Warp.

The other characters I have on my roster are Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Storm, Invisible Woman, and Jean Grey. I haven't dropped any money on the game yet - these are all Eternity Splinter random boxes or ones I got from the "B1G1" promotion where I spent some of the credit I got from a code I got at PAX East.

Also, how are Colossus and Psylocke in this game? They're two of my favorite X-Men, so I'm hoping they're fun/viable.

I would hold off on Ghost Rider (fun but undertuned), Invisible Woman (arguably the weakest character in the game), and Jean Grey (strong but boring until her review).

Daredevil is phenomenal. Really, really fun. I'm off-and-on prestiging him right now. He does decent AOE damage and amazing single target destruction. He's mobile and survivable. The combo system is a blast.

I left Colossus at 30 until after his review, and now have him at 50. He is super slow and clunky feeling, but he hits like a truck and can take a beating. Great tank character and very different from any of my other experiences in the game. It's wild for a level 50 character to have 21K health with decent gear, subpar artifacts, and zero blessings or legendaries. I imagine I could hit 30-40K with him if I decked him out. The wild part is his boss killing ability scales with his health, so you actually do more damage by stacking life. He lacks somewhat on the AOE front, relying mainly on one small arc ability and tossing out his summons on cooldown.

In conclusion: Level Daredevil.

Dec

I wonder if they'll ever fix that fucking micro stuttering in MM and sometimes in other zones...

I doubt it. Engine issue UE3 has with very large levels and asset streaming. Can be minimized with ini tweaks and an SSD, but not entirely removed.

UE3 is actually the worst part of this game, and I would be extremely surprised to ever see the game moved to a different engine. Possible I suppose since they intend the game to be around for 10 years or more I think I saw, but an engine switch doesn't seem to happen much I think Rust was the only one I saw and it was from in-house to in-house. Runescape too, but it was a trainwreck. They are trying again at the end of the year.

Admodieus

Daredevil is phenomenal. Really, really fun. I'm off-and-on prestiging him right now. He does decent AOE damage and amazing single target destruction. He's mobile and survivable. The combo system is a blast.

In conclusion: Level Daredevil.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I started leveling Daredevil and he is the complete opposite of SW - agile, can take a punch, has an interesting mechanic (combo system).

While leveling for him, I got up to 175 splinters and bought a random hero box...out popped Dr. Strange. What's the scoop on him?

Also, until I started playing Daredevil, I was unaware of his combo mechanic. I know Jean has the Phoenix meter as well - is there a place that talks about each hero's unique mechanics? Feel like that could be a factor in picking who to level.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I started leveling Daredevil and he is the complete opposite of SW - agile, can take a punch, has an interesting mechanic (combo system).

While leveling for him, I got up to 175 splinters and bought a random hero box...out popped Dr. Strange. What's the scoop on him?

Also, until I started playing Daredevil, I was unaware of his combo mechanic. I know Jean has the Phoenix meter as well - is there a place that talks about each hero's unique mechanics? Feel like that could be a factor in picking who to level.

Doctor Strange does absolutely stellar damage.

Sblargh

Banned

The scoop is that you are in for a ride. Strange is amazing. AoE damage up way up there. Mechanics that are similar to the combo system and you you'll hear him saying "By the vapors of valttor!" which is always aweome.

Admodieus

The scoop is that you are in for a ride. Strange is amazing. AoE damage up way up there. Mechanics that are similar to the combo system and you you'll hear him saying "By the vapors of valttor!" which is always aweome.

So should I switch to him coming right off Scarlet Witch, or use Daredevil as sort of a change of pace? Looking for a fun leveling experience that goes faster than SW.

Vecks

What is Storm's OP ability?

Storm Surge with Freezing Tempest. Screen wide irresistible freeze.
At low ranks, it's nothing special, but the duration of the freeze increases and cooldown decreases with higher ranks.
I've got it up to 3.2 seconds of freeze with 8.1 seconds of cooldown.
Not to mention it has no spirit cost and has Crowd Control Break/Immunity, which means you can pop it at any time.
If you choose to spam it, bosses, and even blue elites in x-def, can only move/attack for 5 seconds before getting frozen for another 3.
Or you can choose to basically interrupt and stop any large move a boss tries to make.

ev0

I've been trying to stop playing this game to play others. But the prospect of achievements scare me. My OCD cant resist them.

Indignate

Storm Surge with Freezing Tempest. Screen wide irresistible freeze.
At low ranks, it's nothing special, but the duration of the freeze increases and cooldown decreases with higher ranks.
I've got it up to 3.2 seconds of freeze with 8.1 seconds of cooldown.
Not to mention it has no spirit cost and has Crowd Control Break/Immunity, which means you can pop it at any time.
If you choose to spam it, bosses, and even blue elites in x-def, can only move/attack for 5 seconds before getting frozen for another 3.
Or you can choose to basically interrupt and stop any large move a boss tries to make.

I figured. Mine isn't that high through. I think I only have a 1.7 freeze and an 11 second cooldown as of right now.

He is the most amazing, most complete, and most overpowered character in the game. He takes a lot of skill (and two hotbars!) to manage all his active abilities, but once you have him mastered you can face anything the game tosses at you with no fear.

I wouldn't suggest playing him until you've leveled several other characters, because it's hard to go back to anyone else after dominated the game as the good Doctor.

Vecks

I don't think there is. Wikis are dead, and I don't think the compendium has that kind of info.

Sblargh

Banned
So should I switch to him coming right off Scarlet Witch, or use Daredevil as sort of a change of pace? Looking for a fun leveling experience that goes faster than SW.

Whatever you want, mang, it's your game. Both characters are among my favorites. DD is more dynamic and fast. Strange is more stationary and slow, what is fun about him is that seemingly every skill he has is useful and very good, so it becomes a matter of choosing what is best for each situation.

If I had to recommend tho, I'd say stick with DD for now because Strange can be a bit too complex to use. I, for example, have a gimped build on purpose just so I can focus on fewer of his skills.

Admodieus

Whatever you want, mang, it's your game. Both characters are among my favorites. DD is more dynamic and fast. Strange is more stationary and slow, what is fun about him is that seemingly every skill he has is useful and very good, so it becomes a matter of choosing what is best for each situation.

If I had to recommend tho, I'd say stick with DD for now because Strange can be a bit too complex to use. I, for example, have a gimped build on purpose just so I can focus on fewer of his skills.

Thanks for the input. I think my game plan right now is to at least ride DD to 25 for that bonus damage synergy and evaluate how much I'm liking him at that point. I've heard you get some of his best skills in the mid 20s as well.

Gothos

I doubt it. Engine issue UE3 has with very large levels and asset streaming. Can be minimized with ini tweaks and an SSD, but not entirely removed.

UE3 is actually the worst part of this game, and I would be extremely surprised to ever see the game moved to a different engine. Possible I suppose since they intend the game to be around for 10 years or more I think I saw, but an engine switch doesn't seem to happen much I think Rust was the only one I saw and it was from in-house to in-house. Runescape too, but it was a trainwreck. They are trying again at the end of the year.

Yea, I know that engine change is out of the question. Fucking shame. And yea, I got it on SSD. I also stared to encounter one big hickup when I log into the game and my hero appears in the tower. Anyone else? It started happening a month or two ago...

Gothos

DD is a fucking beast :D I started playing him even before his review when he was already really good and after the review I basically maxed him out and lost any interest in the game because every other hero feels lackluster compared to him, lol. So, consider yourself warned :p

Blank!

Needed one for Storm Giant Magi, I was about to give up on it when one finally dropped from cosmic MODOK's bonus chest. Had the trade channel open and everything.

It seems to be worth about 1 blessing so you could trade for it maybe. I have yet to go down that rabbit hole myself, everything I have that's worth trading is something I'll need in the future.

If you go the trade route, get something else other than a serpent for your blessing. You can usually squeeze something extra out of someone (if you're super lucky, a saturn/moon/frigga, a sif/ymir if you're not). It's also not uncommon to see a 'package' deal but they usually try to get more blessings out of it.

As far as blessing price: Tyr's go for 2 (3 if you're impatient), Odin's 2-3, Thor's 3-4. Zod's go for a lot (obviously), Surtur's seem to be fairly common drop off Surtur, so don't buy them for a bless (or anything) their value will plummet quickly.

Everything else is less than a blessing. Loki's are usually 3:1 with Serpent, Frigga being 2:1. Saturn and Moon are usually 2:1 but sometimes come packaged in with other stuff for less. Sif/Ymir/Sun/Ice/Fire are worth next to nothing. The other runes are so far below value that most people don't trade them but give them away (myself included).

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
they have said they are working on a direct x 11 api and stuff so they also may help with perfoamnce i dunno though. they mentioned it in the aa sticky thread

Yes, I think both @CyDashNine* and I would like to re-enable the DX11 path.
In fact I started compiling shaders for DX11 to look and see what visual issues might be occurring to get an idea of what work is left to be done.

Thanks for all the feedback.

alot of people think its actualt gaz's api thats causing alot of these problems due to unreal wanting to be direct 10 mostly when they are foricng direct x 9.

but shit i dunno

Rolled Taskmaster's Fighting for Losers Guide from my Crimson Box. Could have been worse I guess.

Started on my purple prestige. Back up to like 25 Shells or something. Doubt I'll make another 300 by week end.

Vecks

Got a Magneto was right t-shirt from my box. And its roll is about the same as the one I already have. The dream is over.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
i'm probably gonna end up using all of my conchs on kahunas. I have a ton of pots o gold but not enough for every char, and the icon is so much cooler.

Sblargh

Banned
I opened my second box and got a second Magneto Was Right T-Shirt. Hah.

One went to Hawkeye, the other to Moon Knight, two people who, I think, don't believe Magneto actually was right.

The only minor correction I'd make to this is to point out that Strange teleports to wherever you want instantly, making him one of the most mobile characters in the game. DD has faster baseline speed, but nobody floats around with Strange.

Are the uniques for the shells worth it or should I save up for a box? I got a Big Kahuna over the weekend to help with leveling up some characters (my 9 characters are all 30-35 and I'm saving up splinters for Cyke). Since I don't have any high level characters yet, I don't know much about what gear / relics are considered good or bad.

Are the uniques for the shells worth it or should I save up for a box? I got a Big Kahuna over the weekend to help with leveling up some characters (my 9 characters are all 30-35 and I'm saving up splinters for Cyke). Since I don't have any high level characters yet, I don't know much about what gear / relics are considered good or bad.

The crimson box is almost certainly the best value. The unique are possibly good for one or two heroes.

I'll only grab the unique(s) if I don't make another 300 for the Crimson Box by week end.
Box is definitely the way to go.

Until last night's Box, I'd never had one of those boss-specific artifacts before.

Rolled my three DP default costumes last night.

Got the Thing Black Jersey costume.. Ehh.. Put it on him and will probably use the default as fodder now.

Mupod

I'm scared of the 3x costume crafting thing after watching my friend, who had only ever found one costume for his first character (future foundation thing) managed to craft the exact same costume he was wearing.

Me, I only ever get jean grey costumes. I still don't have her.

I'm scared of the 3x costume crafting thing after watching my friend, who had only ever found one costume for his first character (future foundation thing) managed to craft the exact same costume he was wearing.

Me, I only ever get jean grey costumes. I still don't have her.

My record with them is fairly decent (in that I didn't get dupes anyway).

I've gotten Iron Man Starboost, Iron Man Mark IV, Captain America Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Punisher War Torn from my blenders. None of which I had.

My problem with costumes is that statistically if you have the same chance of getting any of them then you'll end up with a lot of Iron Man costumes (which I don't care for). Hopefully the RNG first determines a random character to generate a random costume for although that would mean the Iron Man costumes would be rarer, conversely.

Indignate

Hopefully the RNG first determines a random character to generate a random costume for although that would mean the Iron Man costumes would be rarer, conversely.

I would much rather have it this way.

It scares me how many Iron Man costumes there are. Stop making new suits Tony, ffs.

My problem with costumes is that statistically if you have the same chance of getting any of them then you'll end up with a lot of Iron Man costumes (which I don't care for).

Seems pretty right so far, based on my tiny sample pool haha..

I have three suits for Iron Man (including Hulkbuster, which I bought when I got Iron Man).

Vecks

My problem with costumes is that statistically if you have the same chance of getting any of them then you'll end up with a lot of Iron Man costumes (which I don't care for). Hopefully the RNG first determines a random character to generate a random costume for although that would mean the Iron Man costumes would be rarer, conversely.

I actually haven't gotten many Iron Man costumes.
Off the top of my head, from the random costumes I've done(either bogo boxes or crafting):
Thing FF (twice), Colossus Acolyte and outback, Cable Shoulderpads and another one I forget, Black Panther armored (twice), hawkeye avengers movie, ironman hulkbuster and a mark something or other(maybe 2 different marks?), Lady Loki (twice), Black widow thunderbolts, gray, and fear itself, Torch 2199, jean dark pheonix, Luke Cage street clothes, Scarlet Witch ultimate, squirrel aviator... and a bunch more that I can't remember.

So maybe out of 20+ random costumes, I think I've only gotten 3 or 4 iron man costumes.

Drayco21

Just read this post on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/marvelheroe...al_use_of_random_hero_box_is_until_19_heroes/ and since I got 18 heroes unlocked I decided to buy 2 random boxes. Effect: 2 new heroes, Ghost Rider and Black Widow. Not bad I guess :p

The only problem with this post is that it seems to imply that one should stop getting random boxes at a certain point. That's ridiculous.
With 23 heroes now, I should really stop grabbing a box at every 175, but I don't think I will.

I'm going to save up specifically for Cyke to get his synergy bonus. Then I'll go with Random Boxes for a while. My roster is currently 9 (Wanda, Hawkeye, Thing, Thor, Torch, Cap, Wolverine, Jean, Emma).

I save my splinters for specific heroes, I need the guarantee. I have rotten luck and I took heed of the warning when the first free random hero box I used gave me a dupe of Storm, the only character I had at that point.

ev0

I fear Random Boxes as well. I owned only 5 heroes and got Moon Knight 3 times in a row. 2 of them at the same time.

KePoW

Banned
I've been experimenting a little bit with costume core crafting (after learning you could roll ~1400k crit damage) and noticed that there is quite a disparity between stat ranges. I would LOVE to have the Diablo 3: RoS feature where you can see the min/max ranges of each stat on items just by holding down a button. Would make it alot easier to so how and where you can improve your gear and hero.

This is actually a great suggestion. You should post that on official forums (I don't go there)

Admodieus

Got Daredevil to about 27 last night and found gear that gave me his signature early. There are parts of him I enjoy but I still feel overwhelmed in large mobs (especially MM). I've been maxing Nunchuk Beatdown, Jumping Strike, Street Sweeper, and soon Devil's Due with the requisite passives. I still feel really squishy and sometimes am unable to sustain health during boss encounters.

Might give Strange a go tonight. I have a lot of characters in my current roster with +% mental damage synergies so I've been thinking of stacking up on those before moving forward with Strange. Quick question though - what's the best way to kite and fight bosses as ranged characters in this game? When I played SW, I unloaded my rotation (stun, life steal, AOE nuke) then ran and teleported for my life until it came time to launch those again. The life steal (Raveneous Binding, I believe) was a literal life saver, as its life regen allowed me to out sustain bosses. Is it the same situation with every ranged character?

Top Bottom