• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Dec

Arguing about Emma Frost being a summon hero seems worthless.

She is a hero that relies on AI controlled units to distract and deal damage to enemies. They scale from this games version of pet damage items.

Can't believe someone has the Doop pretty already.

V70EsgT.jpg

Jelly haha

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Guess it's time to just buy a hero. I can't deal with working over 20hrs+ again just to get another Psylocke. I seriously can't believe I got her again. I only have 3 heroes. Capt America, Squirrel Girl, and her. Which I still haven't used, and don't plan to..

My first two randoms were Hawkeye and Scarlett Witch who were my starter heroes. My 3rd and 4th were Punisher.

I hate the random box.

hamchan

Last 3 random boxes for me: Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Doctor Strange

I quite like it. Anyways, if you view collecting eternity splinters as work then that's probably not a good thing!

(I write as I have Marvel Heroes running in the background, popping into it every 7 mins to get my splinters.)

Blank!

About monolith being bugged in surtur part of raid: if it dies in one hit just don't attack it for two minutes.

It was like this last patch and it's not a problem. You basically have 10 people on Surtur for an extra 2-4 minutes which is more than enough time to kill it before you lose all cover (also, you can still avoid the fire attack if you're up against the entrance door or invul cores). Having 5 people sit in a portal isn't really a great alternative.

Sblargh

Banned
Arguing about Emma Frost being a summon hero seems worthless.

She is a hero that relies on AI controlled units to distract and deal damage to enemies. They scale from this games version of pet damage items.

It's not worthless because you gear her completely different; like, these new legendary and artifacts do nothing to her. You gear her like you would Dr. Strange.

The argument is important precisely because of how similar both things are; they are both AI controlled units that distract and deal damage to enemies, but one is a summon and the other is not; one has summon bonus and the other have not.

Semantics matter because it is through them that bonuses are applied.

Dec

It's not worthless because you gear her completely different; like, these new legendary and artifacts do nothing to her. You gear her like you would Dr. Strange.

The argument is important precisely because of how similar both things are; they are both AI controlled units that distract and deal damage to enemies, but one is a summon and the other is not; one has summon bonus and the other have not.

Semantics matter because it is through them that bonuses are applied.

But I've already pointed out that all Emma's summons benefit from summon bonuses. The scaling is poor because of the way the skill works internally, but the game considers them just as much summons as any others.

Sure, you wouldn't want these new summon items on her, but she is a summon hero.

Lord Phol

To me a Summon hero indicates someone that you can actually make a viable summon-based build for. For comparison: Star-Lord has a melee ability that benifits from melee items, but I don't think anyone considers him a melee hero.

Dec

To me a Summon hero indicates someone that you can actually make a viable summon-based build for. For comparison: Star-Lord has a melee ability that benifits from melee items, but I don't think anyone considers him a melee hero.

Seems a strange way to define the class. It's a pet class.

Equating Emma's pet utility to Star-Lords one and only melee ability seems like a stretch to make a point.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I hit 60 on Ironman last night. I'm still really enjoying the mostly melee/physical build I'm rocking, I think I'll continue playing him to get some 60 gear and cube shards, at least until I max the m'kraan I am using.

Seems a strange way to define the class. It's a pet class.

Equating Emma's pet utility to Star-Lords one and only melee ability seems like a stretch to make a point.

Well, Emma has like exactly 2 abilities that actually have the "summon" tag for damage, 3 if you count the mind control itself, and they all have cooldowns. A Summon build for Emma still primarily does damage either from the mental or physical trees.

Admodieus

Still can't believe I missed the raid due to my X-Defense group pushing for Wave 25. Had to hang in because I desperately needed the Odin marks from the shared quest completion.

It wasn't all for all naught as I upgraded one of my uniques to 60 and found another rune I needed to get Bowazon for my Uru gear. I also started trying out Cap and Gambit to see which one I would want to play next, not sold on either one yet. Cap's shield bounce feels incredibly slow (coming from the Crusader in D3) and Gambit's damage feels pretty weak so far. Anybody have a good build for either one?

Dec

Well, Emma has like exactly 2 abilities that actually have the "summon" tag for damage, 3 if you count the mind control itself, and they all have cooldowns. A Summon build for Emma still primarily does damage either from the mental or physical trees.

She has two summons with her at all times.

She relies on them heavily in most popular builds, and they are just as integral to her play style as any other pet hero in the game.

Not building into summon damage is purely a way to differentiate her from other pet classes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
She has two summons with her at all times.

She relies on them heavily in most popular builds, and they are just as integral to her play style as any other pet hero in the game.

Not building into summon damage is purely a way to differentiate her from other pet classes.

Well I'm not arguing semantically that she isn't a "summoner" or whatever, just that she doesn't get as much out of "summoner" items as other summon builds. Loading up pretty much any emma build with +summoned minion damage is not a terribly effective choice compared to, say, a summoner loki or rocket.

Dec

Well I'm not arguing semantically that she isn't a "summoner" or whatever, just that she doesn't get as much out of "summoner" items as other summon builds. Loading up pretty much any emma build with +summoned minion damage is not a terribly effective choice compared to, say, a summoner loki or rocket.

Sure, I agree.

Her minion gains 1,000% hp and damage when she takes it. Summon stats increase it like:

28% Adv. Latverian Regalia would make it 1,028%.

Not a large increase compared to other heroes. That's why she doesn't build summon items, but they do work and she does rely on summons the way she is played most. My point was only that she is a summon hero, but as I pointed out, the argument is pretty worthless.

Also, about raids and bugs:
Apparently the sisters bug is that, even after a wipe the debuff from the giants does not erase; a possible solution would be to disband the party and form it again, but I don't know what prevents the bug from happening once more.

Which is ok, because Surtur might also be bugged, haha; Monolith still dies instantly, as before, but because of that, the rocks gets destroyed 2 minutes earlier, which basically means Surtur enrages 2 minutes faster.

Any interest in trying to finish the raid tonight before the bosses reset? I think it's a 28 hour reset timer for the bosses.

I thought it's once per week??

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/1568419#Comment_1568419

I just mean that the first three bosses will already be dead and we won't have to kill them again.

There are separate resets:

Loot resets every Wednesday morning at 3:00 AM
Boss Progression resets every 28 hours
It is possible to have your queue reset (saying 0/5 bosses defeated) during a week where you have already collected the loot explosion on that specific hero. Running the raid again will allow you to defeat the bosses, however you won't get the once a week per hero explosion, nor will you get additional currency (demonfires).

We are working on a more heads up display to allow players to easier identify when they have loot available.

Vecks

wait does this mean that if i change heroes i still cant run back to back raids??

It sounds like loot explosions are per hero per week, demon's eyes are per account per week.

So if you just want that loot, then yeah you can switch characters, run the raid again, and get the loot explosion. You only get the demon's eye chests once a week for your whole account though.

GManDH

It sounds like loot explosions are per hero per week, demon's eyes are per account per week.

So if you just want that loot, then yeah you can switch characters, run the raid again, and get the loot explosion. You only get the demon's eye chests once a week for your whole account though.

yea the demon eye i knew, i just didnt get the 28 hour reset, but i think that means that u can run the raid over and over with the same hero once every 28 hours you just wont get anything?

inky

Hey guys I've been wondering about a new OP for OT2 (only 3k posts left on this one). I know most people wouldn't visit it, but considering we get new people often it might be a good starting point considering the current one is outdated. Instead of writing a mini guide each time someone new joins, we could just point them there or quote from it.

I thought about including just a few important things, nothing too bloated: Links to relevant resources, newbie guide for items and leveling, and raid schedule now that people are into that as well. The thing is, I could make it either mostly images (which I could cut and arrange to work as links too) or mostly text, with just small headers and list-based sections.

What do you guys think?

I'm reading through the thread I linked and people are pretty confused. I think it works like this:

I raid on Cable. I beat three bosses and have gotten to the fourth. If I get back in to the raid before the 28 hour reset, I will still be on Boss 4.

If the 28 hour reset elapses, I will then be at the beginning of the raid again. I won't get loot explosions for Bosses 1-3 if I go on Cable, but I will if I get to Boss 4 and 5.

At the same time, none of my other characters should be saved at that point. So if I were a raid leader, I could start a raid with a different character immediately following Cable's raid, and the whole group would be at the beginning. The place in the raid will always be dictated by the raid leader's saved progression within that 28 hour period.

Mupod

I'd go again, but we might need to be picky on gear. I don't understand why the enrage timers are so ridiculous in the casual-difficulty raid of a game that is not known for being aimed at super hardcore players. I have a geared Squirrel Girl playing friend who would likely be happy to come, but he was busy last night.

At any rate I'm glad I've seen most of the fights. I'd like to at least learn Surtur in a relaxed environment before I go joining pugs, but based on the other 4 fights I can't imagine him being all that hard.

If a fresh raid ends up happening I have Star-Lord and Strange geared and ready. I want them demon eyes though.

KePoW

Banned
Hey guys I've been wondering about a new OP for OT2 (only 3k posts left on this one). I know most people wouldn't visit it, but considering we get new people often it might be a good starting point considering the current one is outdated. Instead of writing a mini guide each time someone new joins, we could just point them there or quote from it.

I thought about including just a few important things, nothing too bloated: Links to relevant resources, newbie guide for items and leveling, and raid schedule now that people are into that as well. The thing is, I could make it either mostly images (which I could cut and arrange to work as links too) or mostly text, with just small headers and list-based sections.

What do you guys think?

Good idea friend!

KePoW

Banned
I'd go again, but we might need to be picky on gear. I don't understand why the enrage timers are so ridiculous in the casual-difficulty raid of a game that is not known for being aimed at super hardcore players. I have a geared Squirrel Girl playing friend who would likely be happy to come, but he was busy last night.

At any rate I'm glad I've seen most of the fights. I'd like to at least learn Surtur in a relaxed environment before I go joining pugs, but based on the other 4 fights I can't imagine him being all that hard.

If a fresh raid ends up happening I have Star-Lord and Strange geared and ready. I want them demon eyes though.

Well if you're referring to the Sisters fight, that was confirmed to be a bug and it sounds like yall had plenty of DPS if it was working right

Xevren

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me. Just make the title something about leaving your name if you want a guild invite so we dont have to say it every page lol

Vecks

I thought about including just a few important things, nothing too bloated: Links to relevant resources, newbie guide for items and leveling, and raid schedule now that people are into that as well. The thing is, I could make it either mostly images (which I could cut and arrange to work as links too) or mos203tly text, with just small headers and list-based sections.

What do you guys think?

Hmm... Yeah, a better guide/faq there would be a good idea. I like the images. The opening post you made for this thread looks really nice. But I don't think it needs to be mostly images. Perhaps images to highlight some of the more unique aspects would be good, like a list of the important features, misconceptions about the game since release, or an updated version of the roster. Not sure if this is a good idea, but would it be possible to categorize the heroes according to general classes/play styles, since the roster is already getting rather large? It might be easier for new players to see a type they like to start out with or buy/unlock.

The links section would look nice with images IMO. But most of the other information that would fit in larger paragraphs (beginner's guide/FAQ/etc.) would look fine in text.

You might also consider getting rid of the guild invite part of the gaf google doc user list since it's just easier if people ask for invites in the thread.

Into the upper 20 levels with Storm. I've been pretty much breezing through the story content. Digging the game a lot. After Storm, who would be a good change of pace to play?

Are the terminals max-level content or can I start mixing them in soon? Been grinding through some of the legendary missions in Midtown-- fun, mindless diversions, great to kill some time when I don't want to invest in playing a story mission-- but I wouldn't mind seeing some other things.

Sblargh

Banned

Yeah, what Kepow said, we had the DPS hands-down, the problem was that the fire giant debuff was not going away after their death, not even after a wipe; if we had disbanded and made the party again, it could have solved it, but I did not think of that in time.

Into the upper 20 levels with Storm. I've been pretty much breezing through the story content. Digging the game a lot. After Storm, who would be a good change of pace to play?

Are the terminals max-level content or can I start mixing them in soon? Been grinding through some of the legendary missions in Midtown-- fun, mindless diversions, great to kill some time when I don't want to invest in playing a story mission-- but I wouldn't mind seeing some other things.

Terminals scale with your level, so you can do them as soon as they are available. Red is tougher than green, but both are always your level.

Anyone interested in going on my account and leveling my green prestige (the first prestige) Thing? I have like 7 level 60s so there's a nice bonus XP%.

What you would get out of this: Many blessings, good artifacts, insigs.

The risk for bans: Don't think there really is one. It should be fine.

The risk for payment: I won't rip you off, come on. I'm on gaf for almost 4 years, lots of posts, I'll pay. I can pay in increments too, for when you reach certain levels.

The goal: As close to 60 as possible. Just green ~60, no prestiging after that.

Timeframe: Take your time, a few days or more.

Vecks

You could try a melee or a pet class, or perhaps a hybrid of some sort. For cheaper options (200 ES), Taskmaster is pretty flexible in how you can build him (ranged or melee). Daredevil is a good melee if you want to see a hero with the combo points mechanic.

For a bit steeper (400 ES) Rocket Raccoon and Squirrel Girl are fun pet classes. Moon Knight is one of the strongest single-target DPS, and his risk vs reward play style can make things more interesting/challenging.

As for other content, you should try doing the daily shared quests if you haven't started.

Sblargh

Banned
About raiding, I think what we did yesterday was fine for a once-a-week deal (making a schedule, seeing who's up, etc.); for the rest of the week, I think the good old "hey, I have time right now, who wanna raid?" and then filling the vacant spots with random people works just fine.

Mupod

Doing legendary quests is the fastest way to level, and that often sends you into terminals. If you can handle red terminals quickly that's even faster. By your description it seems like it hasn't been giving you terminal quests which is surprising, unless you're rerolling them?

As for who to try out, the answer is always Taskmaster. Or random.

Xevren

Anyone interested in going on my account and leveling my green prestige (the first prestige) Thing? I have like 7 level 60s so there's a nice bonus XP%.

The risk for payment: I won't rip you off, come on. I'm on gaf for almost 4 years, lots of posts, I'll pay. I can pay in increments too, for when you reach certain levels.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Prestiging him was a huge mistake. I just can't level up guys anymore. I got 7 of them to 60 and have a few more at ~45 and I can't even get them to 60. It feels like work, like a chore. And Thing was one of my favorite heroes to play so I haven't been able to play him. I will make it worth your while whoever accepts. Many blessings, Hand of Doom, lots more.

Didn't see anyone post these yet:

Doomwar Panther

MH_BlackPanther_c1.png

Rogue's default (modern)

MH_Rogue_c1.png

I'll probably be down to do this.

Doing legendary quests is the fastest way to level, and that often sends you into terminals. If you can handle red terminals quickly that's even faster. By your description it seems like it hasn't been giving you terminal quests which is surprising, unless you're rerolling them?
Unless I've been missing it, they've just been sending me to Midtown to take out various enemy factions.

You could try a melee or a pet class, or perhaps a hybrid of some sort. For cheaper options (200 ES), Taskmaster is pretty flexible in how you can build him (ranged or melee). Daredevil is a good melee if you want to see a hero with the combo points mechanic.

For a bit steeper (400 ES) Rocket Raccoon and Squirrel Girl are fun pet classes. Moon Knight is one of the strongest single-target DPS, and his risk vs reward play style can make things more interesting/challenging.

As for other content, you should try doing the daily shared quests if you haven't started.
I ended up buying one of the bundles so I've got Rocket Raccoon in the fold. When I need a Storm break, I'll give him a go. Moon Knight sounds fun. I remember liking his comic when it came out back in the day.

I don't think I've done any daily shared quests. Can I just pick them from the teleporter or do I have to find a special place to start them?

Terminals scale with your level, so you can do them as soon as they are available. Red is tougher than green, but both are always your level.
Ah, okay. I'll have to test how good my kung-fu is.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I bought 5 cosmic boxes

I probably should not have done this

I did get Back in Black Spidey teamup though, so it's not a total loss. Also 2 Herbies, a holo crafter and a holo stash card and a bunch of boosts. Only costume was Scarlet Witch Romani, the rest was dupe hero tokens.

Vecks

Unless I've been missing it, they've just been sending me to Midtown to take out various enemy factions.

I ended up buying one of the bundles so I've got Rocket Raccoon in the fold. When I need a Storm break, I'll give him a go. Moon Knight sounds fun. I remember liking his comic when it came out back in the day.

I don't think I've done any daily shared quests. Can I just pick them from the teleporter or do I have to find a special place to start them?

Ah, okay. I'll have to test how good my kung-fu is.

Legendary quests can take you to midtown (some can be done in holo-sim too), terminals and even the story mode. It's just random the ones you can get, so it's possible to get 5 midtown ones in a row.

And yes, you just use the teleporter/waypoint to get to whatever you need to do for the shared quests.

GManDH

I bought 5 cosmic boxes

I probably should not have done this

I did get Back in Black Spidey teamup though, so it's not a total loss. Also 2 Herbies, a holo crafter and a holo stash card and a bunch of boosts. Only costume was Scarlet Witch Romani, the rest was dupe hero tokens.

at least u got back in black without having to buy 95 cards

Top Bottom