• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

GManDH

Agree.

Doom for instance is stupidly hard. He's not even hard it's just the amount of time it takes to kill him with most characters is absolutely absurd. This isn't a vanilla wow raid, it shouldn't take 20 minutes to beat a boss in a ARPG. It shouldn't take more then a couple of minutes at most.

i dont agree. i think that bosses should take a long time. to me that makes it fun, working on a boss for more than mins.

ElRenoRaven

Theres nothing fun about the Doom fight, its pure tedium

I agree there. While it's a lot more doable then then during beta it's still just very very tedious. It's like the dailies and the bosses with the healing affix. It gets very very annoying after awhile.

inky

Theres nothing fun about the Doom fight, its pure tedium

I kinda agree, but the other bosses have very simple mechanics too, which makes them not that fun either. I kinda wish they played with other things besides behavior, like enemy size or switching terrain up a bit, or something else.

GManDH

I kinda agree, but the other bosses have very simple mechanics too, which makes them not that fun either. I kinda wish they played with other things besides behavior, like enemy size or switching terrain up a bit, or something else.

or having an end game terrain where you fight bosses. im almost at the Doom fight so idk yet, i might find out today.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can someone explain how I should level another character for perma stat gains? I just started leveling Thor and want to do the quests that give him boosts, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Also, where is the 2nd to last mission of chapter 7?

ElRenoRaven

Can someone explain how I should level another character for perma stat gains? I just started leveling Thor and want to do the quests that give him boosts, but I'm not sure how to do that.

There are NPCs at both Avenger's tower and at Xavier's school who can "warp" you to any point in the game you have unlocked. So go to them then warp back to whatever level you want to play. I usually start at the beginning and work my way up again.

GManDH

There are NPCs at both Avenger's tower and at Xavier's school who can "warp" you to any point in the game you have unlocked. So go to them then warp back to whatever level you want to play. I usually start at the beginning and work my way up again.

as crazy as it sounds i actually enjoy restarting the entire story with every character.

Sblargh

Banned
I melt enemies as scarlet witch. I've never seen the game throw any group of enemies at me that didn't just die at my feet with zero effort. I take basically no damage from common mobs, even groups of 20. It's almost not even fun how quickly they die.

Bosses are hard though. I actually died on
the hood

I just passed throught an area with lots of mechanical enemies (chapter 6 I believe) and I felt like going from being a goddess of burning to "my pink pew pew does nothing".

I'm shocked the game doesn't have this already. The head guy at Gazillion was the guy who made Diablo II which had Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties. Why in the world doesn't Marvel Heroes have it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The lead designer of Diablo forgot to put in replayability in this game. That is a sin far more egregious than any of the shitty design choices the game has demonstrated so far. Do they really expect you to grind all the way to the level cap from 25 to 60 doing boss runs and dailies? And who the fuck would ever do that?

Go all the way out to the main gate of Xavier's academy. Then turn around and head back in. As you climb the stairs to the main door, take a right and go all the way to the end.

Just got a costume from a fortune card, Captain America "The Captain" costume.

this pic isn't mine, got it off the wiki

CaptainAmerica_TheCaptain_Costume.png

I think this one and the Director of SHIELD one are the best. The other 3 you can barely tell a difference: http://marvelheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_America/Costumes

wish you could trade these, of course I don't have cap. Never found a hero

GManDH

i think, and REALLY REALLY REALLY hope, that in the future you can either exchange stuff back for Gs or trade them. especially when they start adding more characters.

i think, and REALLY REALLY REALLY hope, that in the future you can either exchange stuff back for Gs or trade them. especially when they start adding more characters.

Unfortunately, I don't really have the patience to wait for them to implement the myriad of basic ARPG staples the game is missing, along with a lot of questionable design decisions. Idk why they went to release, probably had pressure to do so due to financial reasons.

New game+/difficulties so you actually have incentive to continue playing after level 30, this should be the #1 priority as it's crippling the game
Trade system
Inspecting other peoples' gear
Stacking mats (this is like a 5 minute job, it's probably done on purpose to entice you to buy overpriced stash tabs)
Not even remotely balanced PvP
Can't even trade costumes. At least let us do that if you want to keep heroes BoA

A lot of big issues and poor design decisions that I bet they'll backtrack on when the population starts dying down.

GManDH

Unfortunately, I don't really have the patience to wait for them to implement the myriad of basic ARPG staples the game is missing, along with a lot of questionable design decisions. Idk why they went to release, probably had pressure to do so due to financial reasons.

New game+/difficulties so you actually have incentive to continue playing after level 30
Trade system
Inspecting other peoples' gear
Stacking mats (this is like a 5 minute job, it's probably done on purpose to entice you to buy overpriced stash tabs)
Not even remotely balanced PvP
Can't even trade costumes. At least let us do that if you want to keep heroes BoA

A lot of big issues and poor design decisions that I bet they'll backtrack on when the population starts dying down.

i think the population wont die down, but they will just notice that this isnt as good as promised and will fix little by little. This can make them HUGE again. Between this game and the movies Marvel can be a new gen household name.

usea

i think the population wont die down, but they will just notice that this isnt as good as promised and will fix little by little. This can make them HUGE again. Between this game and the movies Marvel can be a new gen household name.
WTF, are you kidding? This game is fucking nothing in the grand scheme of things. This game is gonna help make marvel a household name? LOL

Marvel is huge right now because of the movies (and subsequent marketing). They're owned by disney and will slowly be folded into their properties.

This game is gutter trash. And nobody will be playing it in 2 years.

GManDH

WTF, are you kidding? This game is fucking nothing in the grand scheme of things. This game is gonna help make marvel a household name? LOL

Marvel is huge right now because of the movies (and subsequent marketing). They're owned by disney and will slowly be folded into their properties.

the population might decrease but i doubt in 2 years the game will be a ghost town.

smr00

Banned
i dont agree. i think that bosses should take a long time. to me that makes it fun, working on a boss for more than mins.
Go play WOW or a MMORPG if you want long battles.

ARPGs are not meant to have 20 minute boss battles, it defeats the whole purpose of the farming/grinding. And you think the doom boss if fun? It's fucking tedious.

the population might decrease but i doubt in 2 years the game will be a ghost town.
I give it 6 months before player counts start to drop pretty big unless they make some changes.

Leveling is a tedious job past 30 and once you hit 60 all you have is a shitty form of PVP and nothing else.

They need to

Drastically decrease XP needed to level past 30 or increase the xp gain. This isn't a MMORPG, it shouldn't take 80 hours to hit the cap. And add a new game + feature and for the love of god add auto-grouping to terminals. It fucking blows my mind that a game designed for team play and a feature designed to allow team play is missing in the ONE PLACE it needs it. Look, i love the game. I spend $260 before the game released and another $50 on G's. I don't care to pay money, i like supporting the team but this game? It's not "finished". It has a lot of problems, the XP and grouping and new game plus? That's just stuff that should of been fixed/there before the game launched.

Don't even get me started on the atrocious pricing of the store. Yeah, i don't mind paying the prices because i have the extra income to blow but $20 for 1 character? outrageous. $3 to respec? No. They need to give you the 1 of 5 starters for free but allow you to test all heroes up to like level 10 or 15 or 20. If you like that character? Buy it and the character stays at that level. I understand the team is small but lets not fucking sugar coat it. The game? It's not a finished product and it will start to die out if changes aren't made.

Sblargh

Banned

I think you are being a bit extremist in all the opinions without being completely wrong.

The game will not be as big as the movies, but it is not "nothing". It is a F2P that can use every single one of their IPs, it's not "nothing". It is their attempt to create a foothold in gaming.

Also, Marvel did comics once. I know, weird, right? (though it is undeniable that the money never really came from the comics, selling a spiderman blanket often is more profitable than selling a spiderman story).

The game is all right, fun even at times. In 2 years I do not know how it will be, it will only be deserted if the developers bail on it. If it keeps improving, there's no reason why it doesn't keep a stable populace. It is F2P, after all, you can shove it for 3 months and come back later after reading some word of mouth tell you "oh yeah, this and that were fixed".

KePoW

Banned
Drastically decrease XP needed to level past 30 or increase the xp gain. This isn't a MMORPG, it shouldn't take 80 hours to hit the cap.

Do you remember that it took literally forever to reach the level cap in Diablo 2? Almost nobody did.

And that's one of the best ARPGs of all-time, so I don't see what the big deal is about hitting level cap

Do you remember that it took literally forever to reach the level cap in Diablo 2? Almost nobody did.

And that's one of the best ARPGs of all-time, so I don't see what the big deal is about hitting level cap

Yep, people are arguing this shouldn't be like an MMO and more like an ARPG, when the best one basically made it IMPOSSIBLE to hit the level cap. The idea of being able to max out a character in a couple of weeks or a month (which a few people have already accomplished, mind you) does not stem from the Diablo game line. That's really more of a WoW or MMO development.

I have literally no objections with how long it takes to level. My complaint is how we get there. I'd much prefer a normal, nightmare, hell difficult setup for NG+ action than running tiny instances or strange group zergfests. The problem lies in the road leading to the higher levels, not the journey itself.

There are plenty of fundamental issues with the game right now. Trade? Inspecting other characters? Detailed combat logs for theorycrafters like me? NG+? Balanced character classes? Tweaked character/costume drop rates? Out of everything, the amount of experience it takes to hit the level cap is NOT the problem.

Mupod

Agree.

Doom for instance is stupidly hard. He's not even hard it's just the amount of time it takes to kill him with most characters is absolutely absurd. This isn't a vanilla wow raid, it shouldn't take 20 minutes to beat a boss in a ARPG. It shouldn't take more then a couple of minutes at most.

It seems like they nerfed Doom in the first patch they put out for the game - the first time my friend and I fought the green terminal version, it took us probably more than 20 minutes because of his 'heals when dealing damage' affix (which allowed him to heal while invulnerable). Yet since that patch I haven't seen him have any special affixes, on the avenger's tower or xavier mansion green terminals. We were a tad underleveled for the latter and it didn't take long at all.

Anyways after 30 or so, if you're not doing most of your leveling in the limbo zerg you're doing it wrong. Sure it's fairly mindless, on a timer, buggy, and near-impossible to get into if you're trying to join with a friend, but it's by far the fastest XP. As an example I got over halfway through 40 in one run of the Xavier Mansion version without boosts. Just make sure to join a group while in there so you can share tags, which gets you more exp and loot.

On a related note: what does Cosmic Duplicate do? I ran into a Venom with that affix twice today and he was completely unbeatable in the time limit. I didn't notice him doing anything special aside from one shotting groups of people randomly, which might be a side effect of that specific character at high levels because this game's boss scaling is silly.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It seems like they nerfed Doom in the first patch they put out for the game - the first time my friend and I fought the green terminal version, it took us probably more than 20 minutes because of his 'heals when dealing damage' affix (which allowed him to heal while invulnerable). Yet since that patch I haven't seen him have any special affixes, on the avenger's tower or xavier mansion green terminals. We were a tad underleveled for the latter and it didn't take long at all.

Anyways after 30 or so, if you're not doing most of your leveling in the limbo zerg you're doing it wrong.
Sure it's fairly mindless, on a timer, buggy, and near-impossible to get into if you're trying to join with a friend, but it's by far the fastest XP. As an example I got over halfway through 40 in one run of the Xavier Mansion version without boosts. Just make sure to join a group while in there so you can share tags, which gets you more exp and loot.

On a related note: what does Cosmic Duplicate do? I ran into a Venom with that affix twice today and he was completely unbeatable in the time limit. I didn't notice him doing anything special aside from one shotting groups of people randomly, which might be a side effect of that specific character at high levels because this game's boss scaling is silly.

What is this exactly? My 31 RR is leveling like a snail.

Dahbomb

It takes a long time to reach cap in D3 as well (Paragon 100).

I just downloaded this today and will be going in balls deep. Any advice? Long time D2/D3 player.

Wunder

Does anyone have performance issues with this game? Just started this the other day with some friends and any of the big event bosses drops my game down to a crawl, even on the 'minimum' graphics setting. Running it off a laptop but the same laptop can run most modern games on medium at a decent pace.

KePoW

Banned
I have literally no objections with how long it takes to level. My complaint is how we get there. I'd much prefer a normal, nightmare, hell difficult setup for NG+ action than running tiny instances or strange group zergfests. The problem lies in the road leading to the higher levels, not the journey itself.

There are plenty of fundamental issues with the game right now. Trade? Inspecting other characters? Detailed combat logs for theorycrafters like me? NG+? Balanced character classes? Tweaked character/costume drop rates? Out of everything, the amount of experience it takes to hit the level cap is NOT the problem.

Agreed 100%.

I don't see why people are complaining about not hitting the level cap. What difference does that make? In Diablo 2, it didn't matter much if you were level 85 or 99

But like you said, I definitely think there needs to be separate difficulty levels. I would guess they will eventually put that in... the game only came out less than a week ago.

Mupod

What is this exactly? My 31 RR is leveling like a snail.

The second mission in the purple terminals. You need to clear the first group mission before unlocking it, which can be a chore so I recommend bringing one other person.

It's on a timer - if it's greyed out with a timer counting down, it's not up yet. Once the (20 minute?) timer is over, the button lights up with a 4 minute countdown. You join it then, and in theory you'll get dropped into a 15 man zergfest with some special rules.

1. There's 7 waves of increasing difficulty, evidenced by the 'threat meter' on the right hand side
2. You can lower the threat meter and make the enemies weaker by collecting power flares that show up on the map. It's very dangerous to do this alone, and you lose out on all the exp if you decide to be a hero. So I don't really go out of my way to get them and just pray the zerg gets the idea. Sometimes you get a Black Panther or Deadpool who is pro at grabbing them though.
3. To ensure you get enough exp, join a group inside and make sure you tag as many enemies as you can. With RR I use gravity mine and BFG.
4. At wave 7, a boss will spawn and you have 5 minutes to kill it. This can occasionally be impossible, Rhino is currently bugged and never dies. Electro with a self healing affix is impossible if you let the threat meter creep too high. This is just for some free loot though, the real prize is the EXP you gain on the way there.

Like I said it's pretty boring, but if you don't want to be level 31 forever you gotta do what you gotta do. I will say I don't mind the huge grind to the level cap, but I'm assuming the good drops come in the Helicarrier cosmic key missions and I'm hoping I can unlock some heroes there. Probably wishful thinking though.

KePoW

Banned

I just downloaded this today and will be going in balls deep. Any advice? Long time D2/D3 player.

You won't really need any advice then. This game is a lot less complicated than those, so you won't have any trouble.

Don't take that as a negative though, I think the game is really fun and for the most part solid. The Marvel characters are a big draw to me.

Does anyone have performance issues with this game? Just started this the other day with some friends and any of the big event bosses drops my game down to a crawl, even on the 'minimum' graphics setting. Running it off a laptop but the same laptop can run most modern games on medium at a decent pace.

You should stop the Awesomiumprocess.exe in taskmanager. It should improve your performance a bit and it runs more stable so it didnt crash all the time. 3 x Awesomiumprocess starts after each teleport or starting the game.

Mupod

Donate all of your trash loot to the crafter, and don't waste money combining elements. They work a bit like gems/skulls except they cost credits to combine, and credits are always tough to come by because loot vendor values don't really increase with level.

Unless you really want to upgrade some rare items along the way I don't even recommend picking them up until the level 4+ crafting elements start dropping. I regret all the credits I spent combining elements and upgrading blues, now that I see I need 200k and 150k for a costume core and grade 4 offensive upgrade.

I also recommend just buying a hero you like if you don't want to use any of the starters. It's very unlikely you'll get a drop just by playing and I have a lot more fun playing a hero I like (Rocket Raccoon, even though he sucks until level 20). Beware tanky melee characters, my friend plays Thing and has a rough time of it.

Finished the story. Don't know what to do next. Tried PVP and it's an ubalanced zergfest. I've done enough pointless dailies in MMO games to know that they're never worth it. Storm was decent until the end but I don't want to start from scratch with another free, undesirable hero. At this point I actually wouldn't mind paying them money for the game but nothing they sell is worth the asking price. 5.5$ to unlock a stash tab after you annoyed me all through the game with your game design? No thanks.

No NG+ is going to make me uninstall the game.

Sblargh

Banned
Finished the story. Don't know what to do next. Tried PVP and it's an ubalanced zergfest. I've done enough pointless dailies in MMO games to know that they're never worth it. Storm was decent until the end but I don't want to start from scratch with another free, undesirable hero. At this point I actually wouldn't mind paying them money for the game but nothing they sell is worth the asking price. 5.5$ to unlock a stash tab after you annoyed me all through the game with your game design? No thanks.

No NG+ is going to make me uninstall the game.

Other characters are NG+? (I don't know, I'm not there yet, but that's the orse I'm betting).

The way they monetized the stash is fucking shameful, btw.

I love ARPGs and was going to give this a try when it was open beta weekend on Steam. Never got around to it, and it seems like I didn't miss much. The comparison of boss fights to vanilla WoW raids, horrible character drop rates, and the fact the game doesn't really offer any replay value... jeeze. Knew it was bad news when they were saying "From the creator of Diablo II!"

Seems like a mess for the price of admission to a bit of the content.

The way they monetized the stash is fucking shameful, btw.

Ha.

Sblargh

Banned
Question
If I switch another new character, how do I start from beginning so I can get all the end chapter bonuses?

There's a dude whose name I don't remember (which is a shame because he is awesome in the avengers books right now) who can reset the story. Anyway, his simbol is a whirlwind thingy I think.

He is both on avengers towers and on the Xavier school, so, you know, just look around to make up for my lack of actual useful information.

I love ARPGs and was going to give this a try when it was open beta weekend on Steam. Never got around to it, and it seems like I didn't miss much. The comparison of boss fights to vanilla WoW raids, horrible character drop rates, and the fact the game doesn't really offer any replay value... jeeze. Knew it was bad news when they were saying "From the creator of Diablo II!"

Seems like a mess for the price of admission to a bit of the content.

Ha.

If I were you I'd try it. It's worth playing through the story once for sure, it's pretty good and has stop-motion comic cut scenes. Seriously, just do it. I think you'll like it.

Anyone play Iron Man or Thor here? Just got my brother into this and now he's thinking about buy a hero. Any thoughts about them? He wants a character than is ranged damage that isn't a glass cannon

smr00

Banned

Forever? Cow Level? You could get 99 in no time.

Got even easier when the expansion came out. You are remembering the wrong game or you were clueless on how to level fast.

Got even easier when the expansion came out. You are remembering the wrong game or you were clueless on how to level fast.

The Cow Level xp was nerfed many, many years ago. It takes forever to get to 99 in D2 unless you bot.

I hit level 19 with Rocket Raccoon today, got a nifty belt that gave me the Tactical Destruction charge shot for him, it's awesome. Also, the jetpack is silly and awesome. On a seperate note, Lady Deathstrike was pretty easy to handle, using both the time dilator and the gun turret, she just kept going back and forth between those while I shot her to death. She also dropped the third fortune card I've gotten in game so far.

VALKYRAY

Banned
There's a dude whose name I don't remember (which is a shame because he is awesome in the avengers books right now) who can reset the story. Anyway, his simbol is a whirlwind thingy I think.

He is both on avengers towers and on the Xavier school, so, you know, just look around to make up for my lack of actual useful information.
thanks a lot!

No. I played D2 off and on for seven years. I remember it quite well. 99 took FOREVER, especially by modern cap level standards.

KePoW

Banned

Wrong.

I'm not gonna get into it cause you obviously sound very stubborn. Just see what other people besides myself in this thread have said about the issue.

You should stop the Awesomiumprocess.exe in taskmanager. It should improve your performance a bit and it runs more stable so it didnt crash all the time. 3 x Awesomiumprocess starts after each teleport or starting the game.
That seems kinda ridiculous. If one can stop the process and the game runs fine, then is it safe to just get rid of Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\Binaries\Win32Awesomiumprocess.exe ?

Oh a similar note, these files can be renamed / deleted if you want to skip the start up logos and boot directly to the login screen:
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\[Startup_GazillionLogo].bik
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\[Startup_MarvelFlip].bik
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\[Startup_MarvelHeroesLogo].bik
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\UE3_logo.bik

I regret all the credits I spent combining elements and upgrading blues, now that I see I need 200k and 150k for a costume core and grade 4 offensive upgrade.
Is there any comprehensive list of the various affixes you can get? It'd be good to know when deciding if what I get is worth keeping or not.

Oh a similar note, these files can be renamed / deleted if you want to skip the start up logos and boot directly to the login screen:
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\[Startup_GazillionLogo].bik
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\[Startup_MarvelFlip].bik
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\[Startup_MarvelHeroesLogo].bik
Marvel Heroes\UnrealEngine3\MarvelGame\Movies\UE3_logo.bik

If you're using steam you can also disable the movies by just adding -nostartupmovies to the launch options (stolen from reddit)

If you're playing through Steam, you can add this by:
From the game Library, Right click 'Marvel Heroes'
Select 'Properties' (the bottom most option)
Select 'Set Launch Options' (from the 'General' tab)
Add '-nostartupmovies' (without the ')
Click 'OK'
Click 'Close'

I was having trouble choosing a hero to purchase so I put together a list that sorted them by pricing tier and then by total pooled Hero Points when beginning the game (ie: Strength, Intelligence, Energy, etc...). These stats can be improved with some end game-ish craftables I believe (Costume upgrades).

Thought I'd share the list. It's worth checking out the Marvel Heroes Wiki for an exact breakdown of the stats (though if you know Marvel lore you'll likely know where they are strongest). Also hovering over each of the points in the Hero tab in game shows you what boosts each character gets with their rating in each category (2 seems to be the base, no penalty no benefit)

Thing 17
Storm 15
Black Widow 14
Scarlet Witch 13
Daredevil 12
Hawkeye 11

Cable 17
Ms. Marvel 17
Colossus 16
Black Panther 16
Cyclops 14
Punisher 13

Thor 19
Hulk 15
Captain America 15
Jean Grey 14
Wolverine 14
Rocket Raccoon 12

Iron Man 19
Spider-Man 16
Deadpool 13

Coming Soon
Nova 19
Luke Cage 16
Human Torch 15
Emma Frost 14
Squirrel Girl 13

I know some folks may say these numbers don't mean much but these base stat advantages will create some passive advantages for certain characters that can't be made up in the end.

I went with Thing to start and purchased a very well rounded character in Cable (lvl 19). It's impressive how many passive boosts Cable gets for having a bit of everything.

Obviously a lot on that list to discuss. Nova will apparently be awesome?

Top Bottom