• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Spoit

Ok guys I have a question. Now that I finished the story, what should I do with my character? For now I have been playing x-defense, because it is kinda fun, but I don't get any odin's marks for my legendary that way. So should I grind up my legendary first and then level up/gear up? Also is x-defense the best way to level up and gear up?

Also, got Black Panther yesterday and really don't want to get through the story with him. So I can skip this, right? I mean, are the additional Power Points useful? Also, can I unlock all the waypoints with him by swaping my main at the waypoint to Black Panther?

Yeah, but you don't have to do the whole story for them. Just go into the area with a character that unlocked it, and then switch to the other cahracter

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
AoA Jean looks fucking amazing, by far her best costume

Ken

hm, level 35 squirrel girl not sure if i'm doing it right

what's the difference between squirrel saboteur and squirrels! as a basic attack?

is my standard rotation the vulnerability to squirrels up, then bleed and slow, then spam basic?

Volimar

hm, level 35 squirrel girl not sure if i'm doing it right

what's the difference between squirrel saboteur and squirrels! as a basic attack?

is my standard rotation the vulnerability to squirrels up, then bleed and slow, then spam basic?

I think squirrel saboteur has the capability to do more damage, but I prefer Squirrels! because of the bouncing attacks.

Ken

I think squirrel saboteur has the capability to do more damage, but I prefer Squirrels! because of the bouncing attacks.

I don't understand Saboteur visually. Do the squirrel bombs have their own AI? Do they just hang out awhile before attacking something or is it a traditional ranged "shoot and hit" attack?

Volimar

I don't understand Saboteur visually. Do the squirrel bombs have their own AI? Do they just hang out awhile before attacking something or is it a traditional ranged "shoot and hit" attack?

Yeah I think it's just point and click like most ranged powers.

Servers crash? I was in round 21 of x def. Boo!

Tomorrow I should hit level 60 and also get another random hero token. Today and tomorrow are my days off so I'll pop at least a few of the little potion things I earned from log-in rewards and the story to help with experience and possible drops.

I'm also learning to play a little more defensively and keep myself alive so that's a bonus. But apparently I play my Scarlet Witch weird since my main damage dealer is her teleport. I'll consider redoing her skills after I hit 60 since I know my build is a bit rough on single-target things but since the majority of what I do while rushing through LQs is AoE I don't mind it for now.

Still not too sure what to spend my Omega Points on but whatever. Mostly buffing defense at this point since I've been working on my Scarlet Witch's survivability.

Maledict

Anyone any advice on a second hero to level? I'm really happy with Starlord but want to try something new. Options really boil down to Silver Surfer, Ironman, Rocket Racoon, Nightcrawler or Squirrel Girl. Dr Strange would be on the list but I find his character voice incredibly annoying...

I'm holding off on levelling cyclops until he gets his review...

Anyone any advice on a second hero to level? I'm really happy with Starlord but want to try something new. Options really boil down to Silver Surfer, Ironman, Rocket Racoon, Nightcrawler or Squirrel Girl. Dr Strange would be on the list but I find his character voice incredibly annoying...

I'm holding off on levelling cyclops until he gets his review...

Go with NC or SG if you want a change of pace, but honestly all five of those characters are great so take your pick.

Good day for uniques. One for Strange, one for Colossus, one for Wolverine, and a Sacred White Gorilla Pelt (although its low level), all from one play session.

Are the boss-specific uniques actually any good, not sure whether I want one of those blue boxes or will save up for Coulson.

Volimar

Good day for uniques. One for Strange, one for Colossus, one for Wolverine, and a Sacred White Gorilla Pelt (although its low level), all from one play session.

Are the boss-specific uniques actually any good, not sure whether I want one of those blue boxes or will save up for Coulson.

Finished x def and got 3 uniques in the last chest. Loving this boosted omega event.

Got Torch to 60. Think I'll just play on some of my 60's and try to land some good gear till Rogue comes out.

Ok, so, I recommend today's time for the raid to be this:

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?qm=1&lid=8,0,2643743,3448439&h=8&date=2014-8-27&sln=17-18

So if we are awesome, we have time to run a second time with tragicomedy (or help him have at least one or two friendly faces at the pug).

Weekend is still up for vote, but, for now, it seems like sunday is winning.

http://doodle.com/78trhmpm45v4apxv

I appreciate the sentiment, but don't break any of your existing plans just to fit me in. I'm just one guy and don't want to hold anyone else hostage.

Having said that, if people have semi-geared alts and want to do a second run with me slightly later tonight I would be ecstatic. I did a full clear in a PUG last week and learned all the fight mechanics. It was a lot of fun and the raid leader was patient in helping four of us beginners through the instance. I would still prefer to run with our folks. I'll even help carry Kepow.

I have two characters geared for raiding (Star-Lord and Doctor Strange) with a third on the way (Wolverine), but I'll be running on Star-Lord. He's the character I'm most comfortable playing, and has a level five legendary, full blessings, and overall very solid gear. The only significant thing I'm missing is a Tyr rune to switch him over to the Bowazon runeword.

Once Gaz releases the new version of the raid boss dummy in the next couple of weeks, I'll be interested in testing him out to figure out a rough approximation of my DPS. Anecdotally, he seems to be way up there with Doctor Strange and Black Panther in terms of putting out the hurt. If people are interested, I'll help set up tests later in the evening where we can test different skill builds and gear configurations and see what works best for our characters. One huge bonus on the new boss is he will have five times the amount of health and will do a small damage pulse every two seconds to allow characters who rely on that or medkits for regeneration to properly simulate a raid environment.

Sblargh

Banned
I have three characters who I think are raid-ready; Captain America, Daredevil and Rocket Raccoon.

What I was trying to do these past weeks was raid with one in the morning and then with the guild at night with another, but the attitude of some pug groups are gettting to me; people are geared and experienced all right, but they're also stressed and assholes. The ideia of doing multiple runs with GAF is because I prefer to run less raids, but to do it with a group I can chill and stuff.

gazele

Banned
I have three characters who I think are raid-ready; Captain America, Daredevil and Rocket Raccoon.

What I was trying to do these past weeks was raid with one in the morning and then with the guild at night with another, but the attitude of some pug groups are gettting to me; people are geared and experienced all right, but they're also stressed and assholes. The ideia of doing multiple runs with GAF is because I prefer to run less raids, but to do it with a group I can chill and stuff.

I'm kinda worried to do raids, I've done them in some other MMOs and people can be pretty tough on you if you don't know what you're doing or aren't perfectly geared, I'd like to try out the raid too in more of a chill setting, need to buff my wolverine first though

Mupod

I'm kinda worried to do raids, I've done them in some other MMOs and people can be pretty tough on you if you don't know what you're doing or aren't perfectly geared, I'd like to try out the raid too in more of a chill setting, need to buff my wolverine first though

Don't worry. They are piss easy, mechanics wise. Even the guides on the forums are more complicated than they need to be.

The main issue is that some people just don't have their characters set up for raids properly. Which I can't even blame them for, because building certain characters for cosmics is a lot different from raiding because in raids you don't really take much damage. So unless you're Doctor Strange with tools to avoid damage entirely then you need to be a little tanky for solo content, which might limit your DPS in raids. Wolverine would have no problems since he's top tier.

The GAF raids have been pretty chill for the most part. The green version of the raid is easy if you've done any other MMO end-game content.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to go tonight so I didn't even sign up this week. Plus my guild has now merged with another to try and get enough people for raiding, so my GAF raiding days may be numbered.

Sblargh

Banned
I want to say raids are easy, and the mechanics sure are, but sometimes well-geared groups just fail and I'm never sure why. It doesn't seem like someone is doing something wrong, it just... fizzles sometimes.

Edit: Also, people are assholes, because they are, I had some groups with people freaking out and we were just basically one-shotting everything. So they would freak out about people porting back to the tower for re-supply, they would freak out because someone asked for a few minutes before starting another boss because of real life stuff. It's not even game-related, it's people who have 10 chars and want to get loot with all of them, so they NEED to do these things in the least time possible otherwise urgh, I don't ven know.

Well I know on the Surtur fight the deaths seem to become exponential in that last phase mostly due to standing in the red. The main difference is probably raid composition. Some characters are naturally tough and still do a lot of damage, (and can stand in the bad circles) and some are squishy as hell. Or like on Slag when the giants start popping out, some people guarding the prisoners just get an unlucky hit, but if you were playing a more tanky character you'd be fine.

Red raid should change all that. The mechanics will have to be well-known and choreographed, even for the sluggers of Marvel Heroes.

I've been gearing up my Dr. Strange a bit more (got my legendary up to level 3 I think, and also have gotten blessings), but I don't think I'm very well versed for the raids, and probably still undergeared. My computer is a bit weak handling the massive amounts of shit that happens on screen, especially during Surtur. I also don't think I am that good at playing the game. :p

gazele

Banned
I've been gearing up my Dr. Strange a bit more (got my legendary up to level 3 I think, and also have gotten blessings), but I don't think I'm very well versed for the raids, and probably still undergeared. My computer is a bit weak handling the massive amounts of shit that happens on screen, especially during Surtur. I also don't think I am that good at playing the game. :p

I think this might be my biggest worry, that my computer will be to slow, I'll get lag or be disconnected during the raid

I'm 100% in favor of the relaxed setting and playing with folks I know. I must have been very lucky, but I've pugged twice with very accepting, chill groups who weren't verbally assaulting people making mistakes.

The bottom line is that under the current green version of the raid, I don't understand why people are being insufferable or demanding of people in their group. The content is quite easy. Even a semi-geared team that knows the basic fight mechanics and knows how to play their respective characters should have very little difficulty in completing the different bosses.

Gazele, I wouldn't feel stressed about joining a raid if you want. Wolverine is in a particularly strong place right now in terms of single target damage with his bleed build, so even if you are slightly undergeared I doubt you'll hold any group back. The real key is avoiding telegraphed boss mechanics and easy deaths, since that counts against a death counter and you do zero damage when dead.

If you know how to play Doctor Strange and properly bust out his defensive cooldowns or teleport away at the right times, you will do just fine. He is a complete monster in this game.

If you know how to play Doctor Strange and properly bust out his defensive cooldowns or teleport away at the right times, you will do just fine. He is a complete monster in this game.

I'm aware of all of the cooldowns and I wanna believe I know how to play him decently enough to handle most situations with ease. :p

gazele

Banned
I'm 100% in favor of the relaxed setting and playing with folks I know. I must have been very lucky, but I've pugged twice with very accepting, chill groups who weren't verbally assaulting people making mistakes.

The bottom line is that under the current green version of the raid, I don't understand why people are being insufferable or demanding of people in their group. The content is quite easy. Even a semi-geared team that knows the basic fight mechanics and knows how to play their respective characters should have very little difficulty in completing the different bosses.

Gazele, I wouldn't feel stressed about joining a raid if you want. Wolverine is in a particularly strong place right now in terms of single target damage with his bleed build, so even if you are slightly undergeared I doubt you'll hold any group back. The real key is avoiding telegraphed boss mechanics and easy deaths, since that counts against a death counter and you do zero damage when dead.

Cool :)

Next time people are doing a raid I'll try to join (not tonight though), but I wanna buff my wolverine anyway, should probably get a non-item find legendary and put costume affixes and rune buffs, stuff like that

I'm aware of all of the cooldowns and I wanna believe I know how to play him decently enough to handle most situations with ease. :p

Then you are more than ready to raid with us. The character is insanely strong and survivable in the game if you utilize his full toolkit and two hotbars. Hitting "T" and double-clicking on the Sorcerer Supreme's icon is like activating a cheat code. You are basically playing on a whole different plane.

I'm absolutely loving Star-Lord and intend to keep him as my main for now, but I keep Doctor Strange well geared and ready to roll whenever. He's by far the most involved character I've tried from a gameplay standpoint.

Cool :)

Next time people are doing a raid I'll try to join (not tonight though), but I wanna buff my wolverine anyway, should probably get a non-item find legendary and put costume affixes and rune buffs, stuff like that

As long as Kepow isn't in the raid we should be fine. If he's in the group, we could all be wearing fully upgraded level 66 uniques and still wipe on the first boss fight.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm gonna sit out the raid this week; we'll see how Jean looks single target-wise after her review.

I've been thinking about Tragicomedy's point on single target DPS being the raiding barometer, and I've decided that will be the focus of my first Rogue build. Hard to imagine she won't have elite TTK given her options.

Mupod

I'm gonna sit out the raid this week; we'll see how Jean looks single target-wise after her review.

I've been thinking about Tragicomedy's point on single target DPS being the raiding barometer, and I've decided that will be the focus of my first Rogue build. Hard to imagine she won't have elite TTK given her options.

Even ignoring that most of their recent reviews/heroes have been very strong, there's no way that someone won't find *something* stupidly broken and OP with rogue. It's gonna be interesting to watch at least.

I've got around 1000 splinters now but despite how cool Rogue looks I was gonna hold on to them for a bit. I was really hoping for Nova to finally be the one I'd actually try and make into my 'main', but he's a ways off and could still disappoint.

Im thinking of building either Bleed Wolvie, ES-Snare-Sweep Panther or Nightcrawler up for endgame. Which are my best options?

Right now I'm at high-30s with Panther and a lvl 2 or 3 Excalibur. My Wolvie is almost 60 but has a Pot of Gold. My NC is untouched, so if I use him I can lvl grind while building a Leg. too.

BTW, what's a good Leg. for Wolvie and NC? I'm thinking Gungnir for Wolvie and IDK for NC.

Then you are more than ready to raid with us. The character is insanely strong and survivable in the game if you utilize his full toolkit and two hotbars. Hitting "T" and double-clicking on the Sorcerer Supreme's icon is like activating a cheat code. You are basically playing on a whole different plane.

I'm absolutely loving Star-Lord and intend to keep him as my main for now, but I keep Doctor Strange well geared and ready to roll whenever. He's by far the most involved character I've tried from a gameplay standpoint.

Haha, I don't think I did all that great when we did our first attempt at the raid. Aside from being heavily undergeared, I also completely and utterly failed the task of protecting the prisoners on Slag -
I have no idea why my guys died so fast, either, I did everything that was humanly possible to keep em alive

I think after that I did decently well (for my gear anyway). I dunno, the other people who were in the raid probably would be better estimating my performance than I am. :p I have a problem keeping track of the timers, though. I just can't for some reason lol.

KePoW

Banned

all 6 of those are strong, so you can't go wrong from those choices

don't worry at all, that's why you raid with GAF guildies. we're all chill and aren't hardcore people, we don't yell at guildies

As long as Kepow isn't in the raid we should be fine. If he's in the group, we could all be wearing fully upgraded level 66 uniques and still wipe on the first boss fight.

aww nutz bro, did u just troll me again?!

KePoW

Banned
Haha, I don't think I did all that great when we did our first attempt at the raid. Aside from being heavily undergeared, I also completely and utterly failed the task of protecting the prisoners on Slag - I have no idea why my guys died so fast, either, I did everything that was humanly possible to keep em alive.

which character were you on for that? don't remember

doing Prisoner duty does require a little experience, I failed the first time too until I could see what was going on for myself

All recently released/reviewed characters seem to be in very good places. I have no reason to believe that Jean Grey won't be amazing.

Im thinking of building either Bleed Wolvie, ES-Snare-Sweep Panther or Nightcrawler up for endgame. Which are my best options?

Right now I'm at high-30s with Panther and a lvl 2 or 3 Excalibur. My Wolvie is almost 60 but has a Pot of Gold. My NC is untouched, so if I use him I can lvl grind while building a Leg. too.

BTW, what's a good Leg. for Wolvie and NC? I'm thinking Gungnir for Wolvie and IDK for NC.

A few quick observations, as I have Black Panther at 60 and am currently leveling Wolvering (52ish) with the intent of gearing him as a raid alt:

1) Black Panther is awesome. Very strong character with basically everything you can possibly need in terms of a toolkit. You cannot go wrong with him. He's got pets. He puts out great single target damage with dots. He can go invisible at will. He's fast.

2) Wolverine is in such a strong place right now as a character that you cannot go wrong with him, either. If you go with a bleed build like I'm playing, you will have zero spriit issues, insane health regeneration, and put out lots of damage. LOTS. The huge benefit on a bleed build is that even when you have to pull off the boss to avoid heavy damage abilities, you are still ticking away big chunks of their life. His signature is so damn good and just melts bosses. His ultimate is one of the best in the game.

3) My Nightcrawler is only 30ish. He is a lot of fun to play, but he is among the squishiest of all melee characters in game. He can't sustain any significant punishment so you have to stick and move at all times. I think his damage can be good, but not on the Black Panther or Wolverine level.

4) Legendaries come down to tradeoffs. The two most popular choices for Wolverine seem to be Gungnir and the Axe. Excalibur is decent for all melee characters, too, but you are trading off offense for increased survivability. I don't find that survivability as important on Wolverine due to his inherent health regeneration. I went Gungnir because I find that brutal strike is one of the worst stats in the game to specifically gear for, whereas Wolverine is a crit machine. You don't pick Gungnir on him so much for the critical rating (although it helps) as you do for the +2,000 critical damage. That is insane for him.

5) I would definitely go with Excalibur for Nightcrawler due to his inherent squishiness. The life on hit and extra defense will do you well.

Haha, I don't think I did all that great when we did our first attempt at the raid. Aside from being heavily undergeared, I also completely and utterly failed the task of protecting the prisoners on Slag

Honestly, if you aren't familiar with the Slag fight you should probably just hammer away at the boss.

aww nutz bro, did u just troll me again?!

<3, bro. See you later tonight. *bow chicka wow wow*

Blank!

4) Legendaries come down to tradeoffs. The two most popular choices for Wolverine seem to be Gungnir and the Axe. Excalibur is decent for all melee characters, too, but you are trading off offense for increased survivability. I don't find that survivability as important on Wolverine due to his inherent health regeneration.

I believe it goes Gungnir > excalibur > axe as far as DPS is concerned. I can't emphasize enough how shitty a stat brutal strike damage rating is. Even at 50% crit 50% brut, you're only bruting 25% of the time. 200 damage rating (to melee attacks) is better than the 800 brutal strike damage rating. The only exception to this might be when you activate your ultimate.

For the truly hardcore, switch in Brutally awesome shades + ultimate nullifier just before your ultimate and REALLY melt shit.

FWIW, I went with Excalibur.

Moondrop

Banned
All recently released/reviewed characters seem to be in very good places. I have no reason to believe that Jean Grey won't be amazing.
*coughblackwidowcough*

But I have to give Gaz props, virtually every other reviewed hero I have is solid, and more importantly just feels right to play. In recent experience, Wolvie, Storm, and Spidey all felt deliciously canon once you hit the mid-40s.

As to Jean, I'm sure she will be better, but your fundamental point was about single target DPS. Jean currently has zero single target spirit dumps in mental form. The previews talk about her skills gaining split functionality, but they really only mention one new skill, the TK boulder. So unless either (1) that's her +40% damage to boss skill or (2) her Phoenix drain is reworked to serve that role for mental Jean, she could still be low tier for raids.

Which isn't to say she would be unviable; I survived fine once I learned the encounter even without a dash.

Blank!

You really don't need to sit out if you don't want too. The green raid simply isn't that hard. The only reason we failed on Surtur was due to the other jean grey being a complete waste of space. How you manage to die to Surtur 3+ times BEFORE a single boss is killed is unfathomable to me (passed your initial 'try' on him). There really shouldn't be any deaths until at least after slag is dead (a fire giant jumping off screen MIGHT kill someone).

Moondrop

Banned
You really don't need to sit out if you don't want too. The green raid simply isn't that hard. The only reason we failed on Surtur was due to the other jean grey being a complete waste of space. How you manage to die to Surtur 3+ times BEFORE a single boss is killed is unfathomable to me (passed your initial 'try' on him). There really shouldn't be any deaths until at least after slag is dead (a fire giant jumping off screen MIGHT kill someone).
Thanks, I know I wasn't holding up everyone too much. Really this isn't a good night for me; just gonna rush my dailies. I'll probably bring Jean next week even if she's pre-review, for one last hurrah.

KePoW

Banned
I believe it goes Gungnir > excalibur > axe as far as DPS is concerned. I can't emphasize enough how shitty a stat brutal strike damage rating is. Even at 50% crit 50% brut, you're only bruting 25% of the time. 200 damage rating (to melee attacks) is better than the 800 brutal strike damage rating. The only exception to this might be when you activate your ultimate.

For the truly hardcore, switch in Brutally awesome shades + ultimate nullifier just before your ultimate and REALLY melt shit.

FWIW, I went with Excalibur.

I'm at work right now, which one is Excalibur stats?

KePoW

Banned
*coughblackwidowcough*

But I have to give Gaz props, virtually every other reviewed hero I have is solid, and more importantly just feels right to play. In recent experience, Wolvie, Storm, and Spidey all felt deliciously canon once you hit the mid-40s.

As to Jean, I'm sure she will be better, but your fundamental point was about single target DPS. Jean currently has zero single target spirit dumps in mental form. The previews talk about her skills gaining split functionality, but they really only mention one new skill, the TK boulder. So unless either (1) that's her +40% damage to boss skill or (2) her Phoenix drain is reworked to serve that role for mental Jean, she could still be low tier for raids.

Which isn't to say she would be unviable; I survived fine once I learned the encounter even without a dash.

Jean is Phoenix now bro. You must be the Phoenix.

Brut is terrible. Gungnir or Excalibur all the way. I've avoided Gungnir on every character so far except Wolverine. For him, it just makes sense.

*coughblackwidowcough*

I forgot about her since I haven't really played her. Yeah, I guess they don't have a perfect track record, but it's close.

I'm at work right now, which one is Excalibur stats?

At max level, +200 life on hit, +1,000 defense, +1,000 melee damage, +500 critical rating. There's literally nothing wrong with it. I use it on my Daredevil with great results. It's just that for Wolverine, you really want to pump up that critical damage rating, and the 2,000 that comes on Gungnir is super valuable.

Top Bottom