• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Ken

iRcJfMfFXc3G7.png

i never asked for this

FeD.nL

Shouldn't I go and buy some more heroes?

And which costumes do you suggest?

How many heroes do you have now?

Had a bit of luck yesterday with the Costume BOGO (though not really the BOGO boxes themselves), bought Winter Soldier Cap and DD Noir got SQ holiday suit and Cap America Marvel now. Then decided to put Default DD/Cap and Marvel Now Cap in the blender and it gave me Enhanced Thing Fear Itself.

DrAg0nBoY

How many heroes do you have now?

Had a bit of luck yesterday with the Costume BOGO (though not really the BOGO boxes themselves), bought Winter Soldier Cap and DD Noir got SQ holiday suit and Cap America Marvel now. Then decided to put Default DD/Cap and Marvel Now Cap in the blender and it gave me Enhanced Thing Fear Itself.

6 heroes, but got almost enough splinters for a random box.

Ooo... Looks great with black, but I'm worried how it'll look with all her white costumes.

They're finally doing what everybody has been requesting (to make the costumes actually visible on Jean's Phoenix and Emma's diamond forms), and now you're saying you're still not happy because Emma likes to wear white and diamond also happens to be white?

C'mon dude.

Ploid 3.0

I'm so hooked on this game, it's like the only game I really care about right now. I'm even thinking about how it will run if I upgrade my PC to i7 ####K and maybe ditch gtx760 and get something better. I will brute force this game to run well with no pauses and other issues found in Midtown. Watching DegenTP stream this game and how smooth it looks for him makes me drool (though he lowered things all the way down on the graphics slider and further edited settings down for this Midtown event).

The latest patch/event really made Midtown pretty bad, but I must endure. I want to get at least one random costume. The thing is that I'm getting good exp for Omega orbs, collecting uniques to get better rolls and blend them for another random usable unique, and constant splinters so it's a win win.

Poor Divinity OS, I need to just finish that game so I can get it out of the way before Dragon Age Inquisition.

Edit: I went back to my main (though lower prestige than my Rocket) Emma Frost. Looking forward to the costume thing even though I don't mess with her diamond stuff. A few more days for Phoenix time, and then Rogue. Too much to do!!

FeD.nL

6 heroes, but got almost enough splinters for a random box.

Well then it's certainly a good deal to perhaps get another 450g hero. I did the same when I started playing, got all the 450g heroes when there was a BOGO and got quite a few good heroes in return. Which heroes do you own now?

Indignate

iRcJfMfFXc3G7.png

i never asked for this

Turn them into a box of runes or a stack of artifacts or donatable cash.

They're finally doing what everybody has been requesting (to make the costumes actually visible on Jean's Phoenix and Emma's diamond forms), and now you're saying you're still not happy because Emma likes to wear white and diamond also happens to be white?

C'mon dude.

He didn't say he wasn't happy, he said he was worried about how it might look.

And I don't know about everybody wanting this change. I actually prefer Jean and Emma's costumes to not show through while in their other forms, but whatever because I don't even own Jean yet and I'm never in Diamond form as Emma.

He didn't say he wasn't happy, he said he was worried about how it might look.

And I don't know about everybody wanting this change. I actually prefer Jean and Emma's costumes to not show through while in their other forms, but whatever because I don't even own Jean yet and I'm never in Diamond form as Emma.

The majority of the community, then.

And being worried doesn't indicate being satisfied with the change. It means quite the opposite, no?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so Reed makes 29 60s, I absolutely adore him, one of my faves, probably top 5. Proving caring or n ot caring for a character in the comics does not mean you will like or dislike him / her in the game (I dont give 2 fucks about Reed in the comics, or any of the FF really)

Anyway, started dabling wtih Starlord, my last 52 review character left until Jean / Rogue next week, he seems... cool. Kinda weird, his elemental weapon mechanic is not what I expected, I didnt know the element was an actual attack, I thought it would just be a typical "stance", lock this ammo up and youre good to go type deal. I kinda like it tho, makes it more active. Im only going to use the Air one for the aoe anyway, not going full elemental, I like the Milano stuff :)

Dec

I'm so hooked on this game, it's like the only game I really care about right now. I'm even thinking about how it will run if I upgrade my PC to i7 ####K and maybe ditch gtx760 and get something better. I will brute force this game to run well with no pauses and other issues found in Midtown. Watching DegenTP stream this game and how smooth it looks for him makes me drool

He's likely also streaming at 30 fps so no idea how frequently he is below 60 but above 30. Just because it looks smooth doesn't mean it is :(.

Edit. I maintain 30fps in midtown with a 4.5 year old 5870. Mouse still feels like crap.

I also put 0 value in some saying it's "fine" for them. FPS measurements or nothin'. Too many people don't even notice performance shit.

Ploid 3.0

He's likely also streaming at 30 fps so no idea how frequently he is below 60 but above 30. Just because it looks smooth doesn't mean it is :(.

Edit. I maintain 30fps in midtown with a 4.5 year old 5870. Mouse still feels like crap.

I also put 0 value in some saying it's "fine" for them. FPS measurements or nothin'. Too many people don't even notice performance shit.

I'll try locking my fps to 30. Usually outside of Midtown it's random from from 40's to 100's. And yeah, that mouse feels so floaty. It's a shame that it sounds like it's nothing they can do anything about.

Woot, got Nightcrawler to 60. Pretty sure I did 1-34 on Thursday night and 34-60 today. Friday I mostly used my 60s in midtown, iirc, but I may have done a little with NC. I love how many uniques dropped in midtown, I've been raining in them, making initial steps of gearing him as I leveled, easy.

My 60 roster is now Jean, Cyke, Wolvie, NC. The next one I do will either be Panther, Thing or a new person if I grab a random box and get lucky (sitting at 300ish splints and debating saving for SG or gambling).

I also maxed out my weapon vendor and am at 12 or so on my gear vendor.

Dec

I'll try locking my fps to 30. Usually outside of Midtown it's random from from 40's to 100's. And yeah, that mouse feels so floaty. It's a shame that it sounds like it's nothing they can do anything about.

Yea UE3 can't use hardware cursor. It works for shooters because you're moving a camera, not a pointer.

Might actually be a reason SMITE plays the way it does, rather than like most mobas. High Res. seem to only have a UE3 license. With software mouse it would never be an esport.

Though locking your fps to 30 might look a lot smoother after you got used to it because infrequency of drops, it feels like utter garbage with the mouse. I've tried it, and might have played like that if hardware cursor was supported.

DrAg0nBoY

Well then it's certainly a good deal to perhaps get another 450g hero. I did the same when I started playing, got all the 450g heroes when there was a BOGO and got quite a few good heroes in return. Which heroes do you own now?

Hawkeye, Black Panther, Storm, Star-Lord, Silver Surfer and Loki.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Starlord might be the earliest ive ever settled on a spec in this game, well except maybe the summoner heroes since im a big pet freak

prety sure its incendiary cluster bomb, strafe, starship uplink, orbital strike, elemental basic, elemental air ammo, spartoi grit passive and empty the clips for bosses. done and done

edit: oh and Starlord sounds way too much like spiderman, its freaking me out. The actor could have done it a little differently :/

DrAg0nBoY

Said F it and bought 3 more Heroes. Bought Taskmaster, Black Widow and Daredevil and got as bonus Moon Knight, Ghost Rider and Spider-Man (yay!).

I think I will keep the last 850 G for another sale or something, although I am really tempted to buy another hero, haha :D.

Rhaknar

1367 splinters and 2175g... I'm so ready for Nova+Richard costume

Do new heroes get added to the random hero box immediately? I have enough for Rogue , but also for a couple random boxes and I thought I'd save them and try my luck before I drop 600 splinters on her.

Also are they still live tuning, or does my luck just vary wildly in Midtown Madness. I seem to go from getting a lot of uniques, and then having a lull where I get none for ages...

Meanwhile, the last 5 cards in a row... retcon potions. Bleh.

Mupod

Do new heroes get added to the random hero box immediately? I have enough for Rogue , but also for a couple random boxes and I thought I'd save them and try my luck before I drop 600 splinters on her.

Also are they still live tuning, or does my luck just vary wildly in Midtown Madness. I seem to go from getting a lot of uniques, and then having a lull where I get none for ages...

Buy the random boxes after Rogue goes in if you want to try for her. I'm not sure how ES random boxes work but promotional ones only contain heroes in the game at the time you got them.

Rhaknar

Yes they do but if you get a random box now (from the bogo for example) you can't save it for a new hero, the random hero is determined as soon as you get the box

edit: Starlord is deffinately on the lower end of the exciting spectrum after back to back Surfer and Reed :/

He suffers from the same problem as most "shooty" guys suffer... hes just boring (in my opinion of course). Im trying to live it up with the milano powers but yeah... not feeling him tbh.

Rogue is going to be 600 splinters? that advance pack keeps paying off :)

Blank!

I know we asked about a weekend raid, my time has been kind of shot this week so haven't been able to muster anything up. That and with midtown being as awesome as it has been, I don't think there would of been much interest in doing raids anyway while the loot is so good elsewhere.

I'll likely be on later tonight (8pm EST) for something, but again, figure most people will want to MM it up anyway.

Rhaknar

Speaking of Starlord, just realized that the elemental ammo spells are basically 1 point wonders, since all putting more points in them does is increase the dmg of them as spells, which is hardly the point, it doesnt affect the ammo part on the elemental gun spells

the problem is, the UI isnt made for a system where you ideally want to be switching between all 4 since using the other bars is super awkward (its fine for auras or stances which stay on or you just need to use once in awhile)

Dec

Speaking of Starlord, just realized that the elemental ammo spells are basically 1 point wonders, since all putting more points in them does is increase the dmg of them as spells, which is hardly the point, it doesnt affect the ammo part on the elemental gun spells

the problem is, the UI isnt made for a system where you ideally want to be switching between all 4 since using the other bars is super awkward (its fine for auras or stances which stay on or you just need to use once in awhile)

I have all ammo loading on the second bar and use the ini action bar edit.

Do perfectly well using an all elemental gun and every element.

I pretty much do:

Water ammo (aoe freeze and good dmg), charged blast (puts aoe slow on frozen group) then dump barrage (does 40% increased damage to slowed targets). Then switch to air (bounces and does a lot per hit on load) then dump ammo with whatever elemental ability will do the most damage (air charge shot is great damage if lined up well). Load Earth, Load Fire (only 1 point in these, don't use any of the ammo, just load for the initial burst). Load water, repeat from start.

I don't know if this is a build anyone else uses, but I wanted to use every single element in some capacity and still be viable, and it absolutely is.

Edit: Have load water and load air maxed. Pretty sure all elemental gun builds max at least one or two ammo load spells.

Rhaknar

I have all ammo loading on the second bar and use the ini action bar edit.

Do perfectly well using an all elemental gun and every element.

I pretty much do:

Water ammo (aoe freeze and good dmg), charged blast (puts aoe slow on frozen group) then dump barrage (does 40% increased damage to slowed targets). Then switch to air (bounces and does a lot per hit on load) then dump ammo with whatever elemental ability will do the most damage (air charge shot is great damage if lined up well). Load Earth, Load Fire (only 1 point in these, don't use any of the ammo, just load for the initial burst). Load water, repeat from start.

I don't know if this is a build anyone else uses, but I wanted to use every single element in some capacity and still be viable, and it absolutely is.

Edit: Have load water and load air maxed. Pretty sure all elemental gun builds max at least one or two ammo load spells.

just the fact that you need to do a .ini edit proves my point :p they need to change the UI asap tbh

FeD.nL

I finally got the hotbar extension to work on mouse button 5. Works flawless. I'll link it here:

Dr. Strange really requires 2 hot-bars to be efficient with his incantations, buffs, and etc.

It's very easy. This guide will explain how to use two hot-bars by toggling a second hot-bar with the Alt key.

For example: I use the keybinds Left Click, Q, W, E, R, F, G, and Right Click. Normally, if I wanted to use more than one hot-bar, I would have to switch to another hot-bar and then back to my main hot-bar.

With this method, I will be able to hold Alt and press Left Click, Q, W, E, R, F, G, and Right Click to activate the abilities on a second hot-bar. When I release Alt, my active hot-bar will automatically return to the main hot-bar that I originally had activated. Neat?

How do?

1) Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to the hard drive where you've installed Windows.

2) Find the folder called Users (Also called Documents and Settings in older versions of Windows.)

3) Open the Users folder and find the folder with your Username on it.

4) Open the folder with your Username on it and find the My Documents folder.

5) Open the My Documents folder and find the My Games folder.

6) Open the My Games folder and find the Marvel Heroes Game folder.

7) Open the Marvel Heroes Game folder and find the MarvelGame folder.

8) Open the MarvelGame folder and find Config folder.

9) Open the Config folder and find the file MarvelInputUserSettings.ini

10) Right click the file MarvelInputUserSettings.ini then hover over the option for Open With

11) Click on the Open With option for WordPad (If that option does not appear, choose the option for Choose Default Program... and then choose WordPad.)

12) In WordPad, scroll all of the way to the bottom of the text that appears.

13) Copy the following two lines of text and paste them in to the empty area at the bottom of the page:

-Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0")
.Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 1 | OnRelease SetCurrentAvatarAbilitySet 0")

You must place both of these lines of text on a separate empty line at the bottom of the MarvelInputUserSettings.ini

14) Save your changes to the MarvelInputUserSettings.ini file.

15) Close WordPad

16) Launch Marvel Heroes and test it out. If you've done it right, when you hold Alt, you should see your hot-bar change to hot-bar 2 and when you release alt, you should see it change back to hot-bar 1.

That is all how do. Enjoy.

I bolded the LeftAlt part, you can change that to whatever key you like.

Sblargh

Banned
I know we asked about a weekend raid, my time has been kind of shot this week so haven't been able to muster anything up. That and with midtown being as awesome as it has been, I don't think there would of been much interest in doing raids anyway while the loot is so good elsewhere.

I'll likely be on later tonight (8pm EST) for something, but again, figure most people will want to MM it up anyway.

I was about to post something much like this. Unless you're after the weekly eyes, hanging in MM is much better than raiding atm, loot-wise. Also, cards are fun when you don't have to buy them!

Edit: I have been use the f buttons for dr. strange. mouse button is basic attack that I almost never use + 6 keys are my main enchants; then f1 toggles the right mouse button to teleport; f2 to astral form; f3 to eye of agamatoo and f4 for another enchant so I can keep the rotation going forevah.

So during fights, I'm usually on f4 all the time, checking out f3 now and then to see how the cooldown on the eye is going.

Rhaknar

im not going to mess with .ini or whatever for 1 or 2 characters, one of which Im not really into much. Ill wait until they decide to change the UI

im lazy lol

FeD.nL

Said F it and bought 3 more Heroes. Bought Taskmaster, Black Widow and Daredevil and got as bonus Moon Knight, Ghost Rider and Spider-Man (yay!).

I think I will keep the last 850 G for another sale or something, although I am really tempted to buy another hero, haha :D.

Wow thats a crazy good BOGO haul, Congrats!

Rhaknar

Yeah, thanks :D. And for my random box I gor Emma Frost, so all in all some nice heroes :). But for now I want to bring my Hawkeye to level 60 and then start a new character.

Spider Man si fun to play?

very much so

Dec

im not going to mess with .ini or whatever for 1 or 2 characters, one of which Im not really into much. Ill wait until they decide to change the UI

im lazy lol

Not entirely true. I use 11 slots on MK. Would have to cut things out or switch pages in combat if I didn't use the ini edit.

Also have all my toggles and overload on my second modded bar for IM.

Just the ones I can remember.

Vecks

C'mon dude.

Well, I'm not against the change, after all... the marvel now looks much nicer with it. The white costumes could look nicer than I'm expecting, but at the moment, until I see it, I'm not really expecting much of a difference, which would be disappointing since they put all this effort into a change that will largely go unnoticed for a majority of her costumes.

I was fine with what I had before, but this change is really tempting me to get her marvel now for use as her main costume.

Dec

Ugh. Alt tabbed in such a way that my windows key was recognized as being held down when it wasn't. Every time I hit f in game it would window out and open a windows search.

Had to restart PC...

I use Shift as my modifier. Easier for me to reach and doesn't mess with anything else in game. It's basically a necessity for playing as Doctor Strange, but I find myself using it for every character in game, including Star-Lord and Wolverine.

On the subject of Star-Lord, I really can't recommend going the elemental gun route. It is severely underpowered. Some guys use water to replenish spirit, but I've resolved that issue completely with a level 5 Mkraan, life/spirit on use medkit core, Blessed Hand of Nimrod, and a five points into the Destroyer Armor node in omegas. In fact, I probably overdid it since I can essentially maintain my spirit indefinitely. It's theoretically possible for me to run dry once during a twenty minute raid boss fight, but even that doesn't happen. I'll likely transition out of Destroyer Armor some in the future, but having sustainable spirit on Star-Lord is a massive damage boost.

For the record, I'm mainly riffing off of Pacifis' guide on the main forums. I've tested three of four different builds, and it's my personal favorite for the time being. If you really want to use Suppressing Fire instead (think the Punisher's Deadly Barrage skill), you can by dropping points out of somewhere else. You might not like the mechanics of Close Quarters Combat, so you can pull them from there. Just realize that you're gaining an amazing AOE ability (which SL already has plenty of) at the cost of an amazing single target boss crusher. The current raid requires basically zero sustained AOE, so Suppressing Fire is mainly for other areas in the game. It's great in Midtown, X-Defense, Holo Sim, cosmic terminals, etc.

KePoW

Banned
sweet haul!!!

*high five*

how big of a time investment is the raid? i'm kind of interested in trying it out in the next week or two.

realistically about 1.5 hours (if Tragicomedy is in the raid, then 3 hours)

I'm so hooked on this game, it's like the only game I really care about right now. I'm even thinking about how it will run if I upgrade my PC to i7 ####K and maybe ditch gtx760 and get something better. I will brute force this game to run well with no pauses and other issues found in Midtown. Watching DegenTP stream this game and how smooth it looks for him makes me drool (though he lowered things all the way down on the graphics slider and further edited settings down for this Midtown event)

then I'm confused... if Degen lowered all of his graphics settings, then you can do the same thing right now without upgrading. it's not like he's playing at Maximum while still being totally smooth

also I highly doubt you can brute force this game to be 60+ fps at Maximum 100% of the time. I get the sense that the engine will chug no matter what during circumstances

but if someone doesn't notice low performance, doesn't that mean it's truly fine for them =P

Maledict

For those of you who have pick up grouped the green raid, how exactly did it go? Did you just use the terminal and wait till it got started or is there a channel or something?

Am perplexed by who takes charge in a pick up group without a raid leader...

Blank!

For those of you who have pick up grouped the green raid, how exactly did it go? Did you just use the terminal and wait till it got started or is there a channel or something?

Am perplexed by who takes charge in a pick up group without a raid leader...

LFG channel. The terminal queue won't find you shit.

Someone will usually say they're looking for members for a raid, and he'll be basically the team leader and be expected to explain encounters, etc. That is, of course, if they accept people who haven't raided before.

Top Bottom