• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

KePoW

Banned
Actual Kepow quote while running Holo-Sim with me, after he died for a second time: "How do you never die?"

Actual Kepow quote (paraphrased): "I don't like black people."

paraphrased lol

For those of you who have pick up grouped the green raid, how exactly did it go? Did you just use the terminal and wait till it got started or is there a channel or something?

Am perplexed by who takes charge in a pick up group without a raid leader...

I find LFG channel is better than the raid queue. For some reason the queue takes forever

Dec

but if someone doesn't notice low performance, doesn't that mean it's truly fine for them =P

Not useful if they use it to dismiss someone accurately claiming there are performance issues with the game.

Just because they aren't perceptive enough to notice performance issues doesn't mean they aren't there. It's the same as claiming GFWL was a good piece of software because it never deleted your save.

Ploid 3.0

then I'm confused... if Degen lowered all of his graphics settings, then you can do the same thing right now without upgrading. it's not like he's playing at Maximum while still being totally smooth

also I highly doubt you can brute force this game to be 60+ fps at Maximum 100% of the time. I get the sense that the engine will chug no matter what during circumstances

That was only for this new event since everyone flooded to MM after the patch, (I haven't watched his stream after I finished patching my game). Otherwise he used max and it looks very nice. Mrs. Brevik is the same, her Midtown farms with David look smooth with no boss performance hits.

KePoW

Banned
Not useful if they use it to dismiss someone accurately claiming there are performance issues with the game.

Just because they aren't perceptive enough to notice performance issues doesn't mean they aren't there. It's the same as claiming GFWL was a good piece of software because it never deleted your save.

yeah I was joking about semantics

but in all seriousness, it goes both ways. who's to say that someone claiming "performance issues" is correct either?? isn't that just a personal tolerance? is dipping into the 50s for a few seconds really a performance issue in a game? not in my opinion.

So I will give you real world numbers on my system, with the registered version of FRAPS that I usually have running. I play at the Maximum preset, except for two settings (which is strictly just personal preference, I don't like those particular settings even if I ran at 200 fps).

Around 90% of the time in MH, I'm at 70+ fps. Probably half the time, I'm at 90-100 fps. This includes story, terminals, holo-sim. Also X-Def most of the time (but not always).

Now as you probably know, Midtown is a different story. Particularly this week. In specific circumstances, let's say a boss pack of 3 or 4, combined with 4+ human players around you. Then my fps will dip into the 40s and even 30s.

Personally, I still consider that "fine".

Occasionally in rare cases, I have seen it go into the 20s. That's when it starts to become noticeable to me and kind of sucks.

Now to generalize about other games (not just MH) -- I think the GAFers who cry bloody murder if a game goes below 60 for a few seconds and declare it *literally unplayable*...well I think those people are nutjobs and completely unreasonable. Just my opinion.

KePoW

Banned
That was only for this new event since everyone flooded to MM after the patch, (I haven't watched his stream after I finished patching my game). Otherwise he used max and it looks very nice. Mrs. Brevik is the same, her Midtown farms with David look smooth with no boss performance hits.

Well I would want to confirm if Brevik or Degen are truly playing at literally Maximum.

If so, they should provide a list of their computer specs to help players get an idea.

Dec

yeah I was joking about semantics

but in all seriousness, it goes both ways. who's to say that someone claiming "performance issues" is correct either?? isn't that just a personal tolerance? is dipping into the 50s for a few seconds really a performance issue in a game? not in my opinion.

So I will give you real world numbers on my system, with the registered version of FRAPS that I usually have running. I play at the Maximum preset, except for two settings (which is strictly just personal preference, I don't like those particular settings even if I ran at 200 fps).

Around 90% of the time in MH, I'm at 70+ fps. Probably half the time, I'm at 90-100 fps. This includes story, terminals, holo-sim. Also X-Def most of the time (but not always).

Now as you probably know, Midtown is a different story. Particularly this week. In specific circumstances, let's say a boss pack of 3 or 4, combined with 4+ human players around you. Then my fps will dip into the 40s and even 30s.

Personally, I still consider that "fine".

Occasionally in rare cases, I have seen it go into the 20s. That's when it starts to become noticeable to me and kind of sucks.

Now to generalize about other games (not just MH) -- I think the GAFers who cry bloody murder if a game goes below 60 for a few seconds and declare it *literally unplayable*...well I think those people are nutjobs and completely unreasonable. Just my opinion.

Yes dipping to 50 fps is a performance issue if the hardware should allow a smooth experience. This is UE3.

The stutter is not opinion, it's fact.

It really isn't debatable with software cursor. If the framerate drops in situations that you need that mouse responsiveness, the game has failed on a performance level. If you have ever died to a Juggernaut charge because your game froze as you teleported into the bosses, the game has failed on a performance level.

Ploid 3.0

Well I would want to confirm if Brevik or Degen are truly playing at literally Maximum.

If so, they should provide a list of their computer specs to help players get an idea.

http://www.twitch.tv/degentp/b/563085804

TnImwUY.png

This shows the moment he went from his usual max settings to the lowest setting for the Midtown event.

KePoW

Banned
Yes dipping to 50 fps is a performance issue if the hardware should allow a smooth experience. This is UE3.

The stutter is not opinion, it's fact.

It really isn't debatable with software cursor. If the framerate drops in situations that you need that mouse responsiveness, the game has failed on a performance level. If you have ever died to a Juggernaut charge because your game froze as you teleported into the bosses, the game has failed on a performance level.

If you're in the crowd who thinks 50s is terrible, then we're just going to disagree forever. I will never think 50s is bad or literally unplayable. I've completed hundreds of games that dip into the 50s temporarily.

For Juggernaut/Rhino, I can say I've *never* had MH completely freeze like you're describing. Every single time I've died to their charges during the entire run of this game, it's always because:

1) they charged me from off-screen
2) too many spell effects so I didn't notice the charge indicators

Never because of a complete freeze.

Dec

If you're in the crowd who thinks 50s is terrible, then we're just going to disagree forever. I will never think 50s is bad or literally unplayable. I've completed hundreds of games that dip into the 50s temporarily.

For Juggernaut/Rhino, I can say I've *never* had MH completely freeze like you're describing. Every single time I've died to their charges during the entire run of this game, it's always because:

1) they charged me from off-screen
2) too many spell effects so I didn't notice the charge indicators

Never because of a complete freeze.

regular drops to 50 on extremely good hardware in a game that only supports software cursor is shit. And I'm sure the drops are more severe than 50.

I regularly see people complain about the game freezing for long periods of time when approaching bosses in MM, this is another case where your personal experience means nothing in the greater picture.

Your last point is exactly an example of you dismissing an issue because you've personally never experienced it.

KePoW

Banned
regular drops to 50 on extremely good hardware in a game that only supports software cursor is shit. And I'm sure the drops are more severe than 50.

I regularly see people complain about the game freezing for long periods of time when approaching bosses in MM, this is another case where your personal experience means nothing in the greater picture.

Your last point is exactly an example of you dismissing an issue because you've personally never experienced it.

I'm not going to dispute that, but why should I personally complain about something if I haven't experienced it? It's a fact I have not had it happen to me.

I'm sure there are *some* people who have experienced those freezes, I don't doubt that. However when it comes to PC gaming troubleshooting, I'm sure you understand it's about percentage of customer base that has a specific problem. Every PC game in history has someone complain of a technical issue on their system.

For the freezes, maybe part of the equation is I play it on a SSD drive. Maybe that removes some freezes? I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised. We obviously don't know what exact percentage of MH players regularly experience complete freezes, so it's just speculation. If it's a small percent, then I just write that off to PC gaming.

Plus apparently Degen plays on Maximum and doesn't have issues either, so I'm not the only one.

Your GFWL was a perfect example actually. I never had any problems with it, and actually really liked GFWL strictly because it adds achievements to your Xbox gamer-id account. As an achievements-fan, I'm disappointed it went away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
haha kool, I always like seeing people post comix pictures. but how old is he now lol

50+ or something. not like time in comic books flows like in real life

Mags model looks ridiculously detailed compared to the rest, its almost like its from a different game. I guess when its zoomed out it will blend in, but I "fear" (well, fear in a good way) another Rocket movie type situation where it looks out of place with the rest (at least in my opinion)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there's a deadpool team-up?

Deadpool the kid, its part of the team up advance pack (and the enhanced costume too)

Arachne was NOT part of the pack tho, so grumble grumble

Arachne was NOT part of the pack tho, so grumble grumble

Uh she was. She's one of those "1 month before public release" type of deals, too.

I lose track of all these different packs they've had. Who exactly was in the Team-Up pack?

Beta Ray Bill, Clea, Deadpool-the-Kid, Domino, Havok, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Wasp, Arachne as well as a Deadpool the Kid costume for playable Deadpool, and some boosts.

Rhaknar

Uh she was. She's one of those "1 month before public release" type of deals, too.

Beta Ray Bill, Clea, Deadpool-the-Kid, Domino, Havok, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Wasp, Arachne as well as a Deadpool the Kid costume for playable Deadpool, and some boosts.

you are correct! whew cool

"Beta Ray Bill, Clea, Deadpool-the-Kid, Domino, Havok, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman and Wasp are all coming to Marvel Heroes as Team-Ups.

This pack also includes 3 exclusive offers:

-A Deadpool The Kid Enhanced Costume for playable Deadpool delivered at least one month before official release.
- A bonus Team-Up Hero - Arachne, Spider-Woman with new powers and voice over, delivered at least one month before official release.
- 5x Team-Up Gear Find Boosts, released when Epic Team-Up Gear launches."

I need Havok bad, I need another X person to go with all the x-men (although technically isnt he an Avenger these days?). My plan is to eventually have every hero with a different team up, all "canon" team ups of course. Im anal like that >_>

KePoW

Banned

Thanks!

But wait, was this part of the Advance Pack too? Because I got BRB and Domino, but I don't think I bought a Team-Up pack.

Dec

I'm not going to dispute that, but why should I personally complain about something if I haven't experienced it? It's a fact I have not had it happen to me.

I'm sure there are *some* people who have experienced those freezes, I don't doubt that. However when it comes to PC gaming troubleshooting, I'm sure you understand it's about percentage of customer base that has a specific problem. Every PC game in history has someone complain of a technical issue on their system.

For the freezes, maybe part of the equation is I play it on a SSD drive. Maybe that removes some freezes? I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised. We obviously don't know what exact percentage of MH players regularly experience complete freezes, so it's just speculation. If it's a small percent, then I just write that off to PC gaming.

Plus apparently Degen plays on Maximum and doesn't have issues either, so I'm not the only one.

Your GFWL was a perfect example actually. I never had any problems with it, and actually really liked GFWL strictly because it adds achievements to your Xbox gamer-id account. As an achievements-fan, I'm disappointed it went away.

This is hilarious and the exact reason everyone is wasting their time discussing this. After at least 3 replies still the exact same retort.

Rhaknar

I completely forgot they said Arachne would be a bonus in the pack... maybe they throw in a bonus in the 2015 hero pack too (probably just costumes again tho)

Thanks!

But wait, was this part of the Advance Pack too? Because I got BRB and Domino, but I don't think I bought a Team-Up pack.

last year they sold the hero advance pack, with 12 upcoming heroes and 2 costumes. then a few months ago (early summer?) they had a team-up advance pack, different thing

KePoW

Banned
I completely forgot they said Arachne would be a bonus in the pack... maybe they throw in a bonus in the 2015 hero pack too (probably just costumes again tho)

last year they sold the hero advance pack, with 12 upcoming heroes and 2 costumes. then a few months ago (early summer?) they had a team-up advance pack, different thing

Ok got it. I might have completely forgotten, maybe I just bought BRB and Domino with splinters. Didn't think so, but now I'm not sure.

Rhaknar

now im SUPER curious / excited to see the new Venom and Juggs models (assuming they have new models)

Rhaknar

Thanks for the website link. I did buy the Team-Up Advance Pack, I completely forgot about it haha.

This site doesn't seem to show Steam G's purchases though, I've bought a ton of those.

those show up on steam

Was that the Mega Sentinel. Apparently it has the best explosions. I've had similar boss waves. But it really seems to come and go, don't know if it's just RNG or there really is some sort of timer or something.

Hereafter

I had bad RNG the whole day so that drop was nice. It was a Frightful 4 group.

Is anyone holding onto the the midtown cards? I've decided ill open them once I get 15 or so.

Thanks for the website link. I did buy the Team-Up Advance Pack, I completely forgot about it haha.

This site doesn't seem to show Steam G's purchases though, I've bought a ton of those.

Only the purchases you made through the site. Steam purchases are on Steam. :p

Rhaknar

Hmm I wonder if X-23 is out in time to be included as a bonus for the 2015 pack (assuming the pack goes up in December like last year), like Ghost Rider was a bonus (im still salty I missed that)

Top Bottom