• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's a pretty loaded question. I don't really know what you're getting at, but I consider raids to be optional end-game content. I don't really have any interest in playing Holo-Sim or X-Def so if they released gear that was awesome in either one of those, I wouldn't care. Raids are intended for players who like to min-max and plan things out and theory-craft. It's just a different kind of experience, not a better one. Some people are more naturally drawn to that kind of gameplay, though. As for an alleged superiority complex of hardcore raiders, again: who cares? Especially people on the official forums...you're not going to get much of that on here.

that WAS a loaded / trolly question, youre right. I apologize. Discussions about raids are usually useless and end up badly anyway (which you could say says something about raids, but I digress)

The omega points was exactly the same as the bark event, except with an extra 30 for the holosim

But rewards were increased in price.

Groot pieces were the best format. Still managed to get two of the Crimson Boxes, which were the most expensive things in the event - and for ~1 hour a day of play time.

Sblargh

Banned
That's exactly what Limbo was, and it was not fun.

Some of the individual things you say are technically correct, but overall I think it's an exaggeration. It sounds like you just personally want to bring your own build to a raid, but don't like single-target focused builds.

Why should an AoE/CC build be effective on a raid boss? That wouldn't make sense to me.

I don't think raid design should allow every single possible random build to be effective. There are 40 classes in the game now, can't you do single-target raid build on just a couple? And still have 30+ other classes for AoE non-raid builds.

That's exactly what I want, to play the way I like to play. If the raid scenario was something like holo-ism or x-def it wouldn't be a problem if it focused on single-target builds or DPS races; you'd have a mode for survival, you'd have a mode for something more teamwork based (xdef) and you'd have the more strictly DPS mode. But two of those are open to "casuals" the last one os a crime for you to play the way you want to play, they're also the better way to get more advanced gear, (almost?) the only way to get challenge gear.

It's also the only thing in the entire game that wastes your time if you fail. From death meaning not even restoring the boss health to wave in the holo carrying over on SQ and getting at least one defender token when you get to the not-hard wave 10 on x-def; even just playing around in MM doing nothing in particular nets you omega points, credits, some loot and eternity splinters.

A raid boss that you can't defeat gives you nothing. It's the only thing in the entire game that makes having bad team-mates an actual road block with no progress whatsoever tied to it; it's also the only thing in the game where you have to build "for it", and it's also the only content in the game that has specific gear locked behind it.

Someone here was interested in the game strictly because of Punisher. He likes punisher, so he'll play the game. Won't be wonderful when he reach a raid and someone obnoxiously tell him that he needs to choose someone "better" than the character he likes from the comics and movies? I know it sucked on my first raid when someone asked if I had a better character because "captain america sucks ass".

Only content in this game where this happens. Only content in the game that generates drama like that. Only content in the game that roadblocks you. Only content in the game that locks gear behind it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Here's a question that might potentially bum me out, is there any hero gear in raids with cool effects / procs like the saber tooth or ironman summons, or Emma's cyclops pet, or is it all serious +dmg rawr gear?

I only really care about the special procs and whatnot, and if I'm missing out on those it would make me sad :(

KePoW

Banned
It's also the only thing in the entire game that wastes your time if you fail. From death meaning not even restoring the boss health to wave in the holo carrying over on SQ and getting at least one defender token when you get to the not-hard wave 10 on x-def; even just playing around in MM doing nothing in particular nets you omega points, credits, some loot and eternity splinters.

A raid boss that you can't defeat gives you nothing. It's the only thing in the entire game that makes having bad team-mates an actual road block with no progress whatsoever tied to it; it's also the only thing in the game where you have to build "for it", and it's also the only content in the game that has specific gear locked behind it.

Everything you say above in the quoted sections is completely correct. And it's also what I like.

So it's just a matter of philosophical difference in game design preference. We will see what Gaz thinks as they move forward with raid design.

Just for historical perspective to see where I come from, I have played MMOs since Ultima Online alpha test, and Everquest 1 after that.

In UO, if you get PKed (killed by another player) they can literally loot every piece of gear you were wearing & carrying.

In EQ1, if you die even in PVE you had to manually run back to retrieve your corpse. If you don't, then you do not get your gear back.

I just prefer MMOs with real death penalties, because I think it really changes how you play the game. You will try your best not to die and it adds a different tension.

As for the Punisher example, that's a problem with specific character design. All of us know there are a few heroes right now that Gaz has not gotten to yet. Once they get fixed, it's not an issue with the raid bosses themselves. They should not completely change the raid instance just because 5 or 6 characters (out of 40) are bad at the moment.

Spoit

But rewards were increased in price.

Groot pieces were the best format. Still managed to get two of the Crimson Boxes, which were the most expensive things in the event - and for ~1 hour a day of play time.

And you could have gotten 2 of the unique boxes, with an extra 100 for whatever if you hit everything every day

KePoW

Banned
Only content in this game where this happens. Only content in the game that generates drama like that. Only content in the game that roadblocks you. Only content in the game that locks gear behind it.

Also for your final statements above, they are also correct.

But tell me how is this any different than raiding in WoW or EQ? Or maybe that's where the cause of disagreement comes from in the first place.

I loved raiding in WoW / EQ. If you do not like raiding in WoW / EQ, then of course you will not like the raid design in this MMO either. That would be completely expected because it's very similar.

Rhaknar

Oops... does Rouge make 39 or 40?

actually its 37 lol. Rogue 38, Nova 39, Mags, Jugg, Venom 42 (I knew there was 42 total by the end of this year, unless X23 sneaks out, then its 43)

Rhaknar

this is completely random but I still dont have Emma's Cyke pet unique

I shall farm that shit all day in MM, and it will drop! it will drop damn it!

btw they are now saying October for Nova... he's never coming out is he >_>

And you could have gotten 2 of the unique boxes, with an extra 100 for whatever if you hit everything every day

Missing my point; You're obviously okay with the ~3 months worth of respective events before you can get your Doop Companion or Agent Coulson then?

Going by my collection rate of Omega files and Worldstones, it'll be more like 5-7 months worth of these events for me. And if that happens and I keep that ratio up, I still haven't bought anything else from the events.

Again, if you're okay with that, which you obviously are, we probably have to agree to disagree, but I think 5-7 months (or 3 optimally, if you're this "average player" that Gaz keeps going on about) for a single visual pet/team-up is asking a lot of the user base.

Ken

iZCzlahQwsAJs.png

HERE WE GO

Missing my point; You're obviously okay with the ~3 months worth of respective events before you can get your Doop Companion or Agent Coulson then?

Going by my collection rate of Omega files and Worldstones, it'll be more like 5-7 months worth of these events for me. And if that happens and I keep that ratio up, I still haven't bought anything else from the events.

Again, if you're okay with that, which you obviously are, we probably have to agree to disagree, but I think 5-7 months (or 3 optimally, if you're this "average player" that Gaz keeps going on about) for a single visual pet/team-up is asking a lot of the user base.

I way prefer having to save up over months than having to get it through random drop. It took me 300+ hours to get a pym shrinking. I'd rather have a goal to save towards that I know I'll eventually reach. Or conversely I'll stop playing the game before then and then I won't care.

I hope this launches soon. It would have been so useful for this current event.

I've spent so much time killing bosses and then running back to the entrance to donate my inventory. Often, a new boss wave is about to spawn when I finish unloading the loot from the previous one.

At least it's helped me finish off my vendors. With my crafter, enchanter, weapon vendor and gear vendor all at 20, I can just pick up collectibles, artifacts, cores, uniques and cosmics.

I way prefer having to save up over months than having to get it through random drop. It took me 300+ hours to get a pym shrinking. I'd rather have a goal to save towards that I know I'll eventually reach. Or conversely I'll stop playing the game before then and then I won't care.
I know that feeling all too well. I have 4 characters who could use PS, but I've never gotten one. Is there any specific place to grind for them?

Sblargh

Banned
Also for your final statements above, they are also correct.

But tell me how is this any different than raiding in WoW or EQ? Or maybe that's where the cause of disagreement comes from in the first place.

I loved raiding in WoW / EQ. If you do not like raiding in WoW / EQ, then of course you will not like the raid design in this MMO either. That would be completely expected because it's very similar.

This is the same topic that comes out in every MMO thread. What is the problem with the WoW method of doing endgame content? Well, because these are the games that do it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

(it's not actually how every game on this list do it, but you got the joke)

I remember on EQ1 losing a month of progress because of doing stupid shit one single day. Or on DCUO to do run out of money and then be "oh dang" because I couldn't repair my gear anymore.

Everyone loves to pretend they like steep death penalties in MMO, because nobody picture themselves failling the same thing 5 or 6 times in a single sessions because of other people or, hell, because you're having a bad day. Not progressing is just frustrating, losing progress is beyond that, losing progress in a group-based match where you control only 1/10th of the pieces? That is an environment that breeds bad behavior, also see, every MOBA community ever; because when you win, then you did awesome, but when you lose, then those other idiots screwed up.

Frustration piles up and soon people are demanding this or that and generally playing stressed out because now human beings became possible roadblocks to your success, not your opponents, but your team-mates stupidity/lack of gear.

Add to that there are now lists of top 5 characters, not classes mind you, but characters that are decades old and that people are attached to for whatever reason.

I'm just thinking out loud mostly here, raid is not that big of a deal in this game, but then, this is the only reason why its bullshits are tolerable. Hopefully it keeps not being that big of a deal.

edit: im bored so lets see, characters that devs have confirmed to be working on / will come out in 2015

I actually made a full list of characters confirmed for the AP2015, and those that they have been talking about for 2015:
So I've looked things up, here's characters 100% confirmed for next year's Advance Pack:
Shadowcat (w/ Lockheed)
Iceman
Dr. Doom
Blade
Winter Soldier
Nick Fury

Likely candidates:
Super-Skrull (who was confirmed to not be 200 ES)
Ant-Man
Spider-Woman

If they're not gonna be 200 ES:
Domino
War Machine
She-Hulk

And, if they're going to be out in 2015:
Iron Fist (they said he definitely will be part of either the 2015 or the 2016 pack)
Vision
(Arch)Angel
Wasp
Dazzler
Magik

And of course there's Beast who will be the 200 ES character after X-23, and Elektra after him.

Also, Arachne should be more likely a Spider-Man costume than a Spider-Woman costume, if not an own unique character. Her powers are completely different from Spider-Woman's, aside from both having superhuman strength and durability, especially since you already say Jessica's powers are different from Spidey's - y u no luk up Julia?

I love Spider-Woman, but historically, her costumes have been shite.

Well she rarely put anything else on but the red-yellow duds. There's that one version where her hair is covered by the mask, and there's that blue-red costume, but beyond that, I don't remember anything. :p

Lord Phol

The ice grenade is crucial because it debuffs stuff to take 10% extra damage. If you have someone in your party reliably applying that, okay. If not, you're definitely losing an easy damage modifier. It's also amazing in how it works with his dash resetting the cool down. At max level it provides strong damage and the excellent debuff, so I dig it as a regular part of my rotation.

Cryo grenade provides great utility and the damage is decent, but compared to the rest of his AoE cd powers it's the weakest one. The debuff is actually Weakness which makes enemies deal 10% less damage. Unless I've completely missed it I don't think SL has a Vulnerability debuff (enemies take 10% more damage). I'm currently using Anti-Metal Ammunition as my Slot 1 Unique which provides a Vulnerabliity debuff. That being said I'm probably going to put 1 point into Cryo Grenade next time I respec (just need to find more keys on my keyboard to bind powers to), since it provides good utility and survivability in cosmic terminals and soloing.

I'm not sure how water or wind work out better than Empty the Clips with its 40% damage modifier to bosses. Every character has a single target boss killer that's practically a must have, and that's his. I use it in place of his basic and basically spam it nonstop when everything else is on cool down. I have no idea how anything in the elemental tree could compare.

They don't, Empty the Clips is the definite boss spammer. They do however provide great burst damage in a very small amount of time which makes for a great addition to my build and rotation. Basically I'm using this:

Orbital+Incendiary+Strafe -> Starship Uplink -> Orbital+Incendiary+Strafe -> Wind -> Water -> CQC (use whenever it's up) -> Fully Charged Elemental Blast (my spam power of choice).

This doesn't leave me much time for using a spam (no cd) power. After the first rotation I got about 3 seconds of using Elemental Blast and this changes all the time depending on when CQC is up, Starship Uplink, if I have to move out of attacks etc. If I didn't use Elemental Blast I would use Empty the Clips those seconds instead. EB is probably worse DPS in a raid scenario compared to EtC but it does provide good Damage, AoE and utility in other scenarios. I'm not a math-guy but I reckon that the damage would even out more if I got enough crit and brut chance.

I'd be interested to see this record TTK build you're referencing. I follow the theory crafting on him very closely, and the consensus is to only use water in the elemental tree if you lack spirit sustain, but at a large damage loss. I'd like to see what the record holder is using in terms of equipment, or see if their omega points are affecting the outcome.

Always looking for new perspectives as I better my main. Thanks in advance.

Here's his build and TTK video: https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/126667/b-b-build-v-1-02/p1 (do note that he got lucky with the bruts). It's not what I'm using so I don't have any experience with it, but seems fine at a first glance.

I also raided with some gaffers yesterday using my build and we did very good. I was in the portal team on Surtur and we downed every boss in time. Only wipe was on Surtur but that was mostly because of some first timers (who did great overall though!) and the portal bugged out so we only had 4 people on Slag.

Lord Phol

btw they are now saying October for Nova... he's never coming out is he >_>

They've been talking about both September and October for awhile now, but I'm 90% he'll be here early October. I think it was Ryolnir that mentioned in a stream that they are changing release dates of heroes to the beginning of the months instead of the end. No idea what this means for the 3 villains though since we only got November and December left.

Maledict

Cryo grenade provides great utility and the damage is decent, but compared to the rest of his AoE cd powers it's the weakest one. The debuff is actually Weakness which makes enemies deal 10% less damage. Unless I've completely missed it I don't think SL has a Vulnerability debuff (enemies take 10% more damage).

Um, Starship Uplink makes all your starship powers provide Vulnerability, so basically it never drops off with Incendiary Strike / Orbital Strike / Cluster bomb.

I've always wondered - why does everyone use cryo grenade rather than gravity grenade? I've been using that a lot and it seems incredibly, incredibly useful in holo sim and X-defense when it roots everything in sight and then you burn them to the ground.

On a plus note - I just got a Tyr rune! just need a Saturn now and I'm all set for Bowazon.

Lord Phol

Um, Starship Uplink makes all your starship powers provide Vulnerability, so basically it never drops off with Incendiary Strike / Orbital Strike / Cluster bomb.

I've always wondered - why does everyone use cryo grenade rather than gravity grenade? I've been using that a lot and it seems incredibly, incredibly useful in holo sim and X-defense when it roots everything in sight and then you burn them to the ground.

On a plus note - I just got a Tyr rune! just need a Saturn now and I'm all set for Bowazon.

Ah thanks for clarifying, I'm not a home so I can't look at the powers atm (if only there was a decent power caluclator out there). I remember reading about that on TC but must have completely missed it on live. My other points remain though.

Dunno about Cryo grenade, maybe it's just visual preference? I know I prefer Cryo Grenade over Gravity since it feels and looks better to me.

Only have 1 Tyr rune, but I've been thinking about bowing up Star-Lord for awhile. It's definetly a dps increase over Fire Barrage.

Ken

Did you have any boosts or anything on at the time? I think like 90% of the time I've gotten retcon potions. The only "Epic" category thing I've managed was the vest, which is meh.

I'm sure I had like a Bounty Boost up (200%). Was leveling HT at the time so I wasn't putting on a ton of RIF/SIF boosts.

Gothos

I think I'm done with the game until they fix that stuttering in Midtown. It's so god damn annoying, I just can't take it anymore. Over and out, call me when they fix their shitty engine.

Ploid 3.0

I can not download the Test Center patches. It tells me that it is unable to access metafile. :( I want to mess around with Rogue and new Pheonix.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
1403532643377.png

Gonna be hard not to get on TC but I wanna wait till she's on Live. So hyped for dis.

Rhaknar

if Rogue doesnt have some sort of death from above move, they have failed spectaculary

I don't know why Rogue doesn't do it for me. But everyone's excitement just has me pumped for the game in general.

Anyone want to get in a raid before the reset tonight? I'm going to try around 7 or 8pm EDT.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't know why Rogue doesn't do it for me. But everyone's excitement just has me pumped for the game in general.

Yeah, I'm not interested in the character in general, but it really seems like Gaz went fucking balls to the wall with her gameplay/design, so I'm definitely looking forwarded to giving her a shot after not playing MH at all the past week or two.

GManDH

Yeah, I'm not interested in the character in general, but it really seems like Gaz went fucking balls to the wall with her gameplay/design, so I'm definitely looking forwarded to giving her a shot after not playing MH at all the past week or two.

ohh i dont give a rats toto to the character but this hero and gameplay looks to be amazing. and when dual spec comes out, MIND BLOWING!!! the fact that u can create ur own hero, kind of, and everytime there is a new hero or boss it can completely change your powers is beyond amazing to me.

Top Bottom