• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Also I was listening to Brevik talk about Steam's cut into their sales. He said if you ever played the steam version your account is marked as a steam account, so no matter where you buy from steam gets a cut. The other guy talked about how steam was smart to get that in the contract, but David Brevik said it doesn't matter, he'd rather more people play the game than to not have their profits cut.

"He said if you ever played the steam version your account is marked as a steam account, so no matter where you buy from steam gets a cut."

Wtf? That's awful. Fuck Steam. People always said that "you could buy X game code off Amazon and Steam won't even get a cut!"... so wtf is this? I wonder how many of these contracts they have.

Ploid 3.0

"He said if you ever played the steam version your account is marked as a steam account, so no matter where you buy from steam gets a cut."

Wtf? That's awful. Fuck Steam. People always said that "you could buy X game code off Amazon and Steam won't even get a cut!"... so wtf is this? I wonder how many of these contracts they have.

This seem like something Steam does with F2P games. I wondered why some games up and get removed from steam when they go f2p (Defiance for example). If this is what happens for F2P on steam I can't blame them. Arch Age was supposed to be on steam and now they aren't (same publisher as Defiance).

Indignate

It's the same with any game on any other console/service. The only thing that makes this sort of shady is the "marked account" part, but the fact that you can buy in-game content from multiple locations (either within steam, the dev's website, within the standalone client) is something that's pretty unique to the PC so that part doesn't really bug me.

Ploid 3.0

So it looks like Phoenix Inferno sucks on Jean. The Projectile Deflection does not register on the stats page, and it looks like it doesn't register when testing it. I should have nearly 50% deflection but I don't. I activate the aura and deactivate it with no number change. I tested Psycic Corona and it's deflection stats change appropriately. I tested Phoenix Inferno in Phoenix mode and surely you are returned 500 hp on hit as advertised.

So, even though as Jean I can freely use Dark Phoenix as a nuke + buff it seems like I'm better off spending energy on Phoenix since I already have the advantage on her with energy synergy, she's more defensive, better spirit return, and such. I really hate her graphic spam. Maybe I should stop rejecting Iron Man and work on him instead, Jean tweaks are surely coming. Well they at least will work on Phoenix's Dark Phoenix ability to make it more desirable, like Rocket's Mech.

"Why should I Mech Fall when it can do more damage outside of it?"

Result = Gunner/summon tag, no cooldown on missiles.

Found the problem.
Phoenix Inferno is reflect which isn't in the defensive stats. Corona is Deflect, which is in the stats. Not knowing how they stack together (I don't know how chance to get hit roll in this game). In the end I'm going to keep them both and see how things go. Just respec'd 2 more times. Need to put my other characters to work, collecting their respec potions.

78.7% chance to avoid being hit by projectiles if things work the way it sounds. 51.8% if it don't and reflection is like some ranged thorns or marvel heroes dodge where it still hits me. And I still don't have the level 60 version of the unique gloves (currently 11% deflection on those).

Ploid 3.0

I have to stay away from Jean. I used about 7 recon potions on her. She's a survivor, even with 11k hp I was able to comfortably do stuff in cosmic without dying. She has interesting uniques and stuff but during the Odin Terminal a while ago I kept thinking about busting out Emma just to farm them faster. I just got her legendary after the patch and it's almost done with level 4, and I put good enough gear on her I think. I thought about having cerebro remote interface (slot5) but her slot 5 is interesting as it can layer over 2k damage rating if the enemy is stunned, 1k if it's just slowed + more attack damage and crit rating, and a nice survival feature. I still don't know what her slot 4 unique is.

In the end, I'll be back on her soon but I'm going to farm some stuff on Emma while this event is going on. Need some currency from the dupe uniques.

uDnYI6P.png

I gave her some of the more expendable of my artifacts and runes just to test the water before I'm all in. I don't have the recipe for unbinding medallions so she has a normal Wizard Medal instead of this cosmic Wizard.

Blank!

Rogue on sale on Steam for $15.00. You miss out on the 90's costume but they give 500G back, so basically 10 bucks for Rogue/stash and 4 boosts.

Drayco21

If I retcon Rogue, will she forget her stolen powers? Also, I love her signature power.

They said she would keep her stolen powers when you retcon, she just loses all the points you put into them. You have to manually take off the powers to forget them.

Don't tell the crazies in the offical forums lol.

They're all idiots. Jean is so much more fun now; especially non-phoenix Jean. Oh no, we no longer has unlimited spirit! I say fuck that; I'd gladly give up unlimited spirit to no longer be a fucking wet noodle who gets one shotted by looking at someone.

So much better. SO.MUCH.BETTER! :3

Depending on your build, Phoenix Jean still has unlimited spirit. I am admittedly using Zola on her, so that factors in, but leading off with 1 point in Mind Crush before layering dots and TK Throw results in unlimited spirit.

I need to look into a mental build, but I'm loving the Phoenix energy setup. It looks like I would just use the same abilities and just stay in Jean form. What do you gain from going that route? Damage skills all look slightly higher as Phoenix.

Jean is definitely an easy candidate for main status now. Using Gungnir, I'm sitting at 50% critical for 290% damage and 38% brutal for I don't recall how much. Basically, she's a crit and brute machine.

KePoW

Banned
I can't seem to find the GAF Comix thread anymore

So do any of yall here have recommendations for which specific Ghost Rider series to read? Let's say starting from 2000

Depending on your build, Phoenix Jean still has unlimited spirit. I am admittedly using Zola on her, so that factors in, but leading off with 1 point in Mind Crush before layering dots and TK Throw results in unlimited spirit.

I need to look into a mental build, but I'm loving the Phoenix energy setup. It looks like I would just use the same abilities and just stay in Jean form. What do you gain from going that route? Damage skills all look slightly higher as Phoenix.

Jean is definitely an easy candidate for main status now. Using Gungnir, I'm sitting at 50% critical for 290% damage and 38% brutal for I don't recall how much. Basically, she's a crit and brute machine.

The skills are largely the same between the two, but it's the affixes that are different. Jean slows alot more than Phoenix does. Jean is meant to be played as range, while Phoenix works as a "Right in the center of shit". Jean doesn't last as long as Phoenix does if she runs into the center of a battle.

I can't seem to find the GAF Comix thread anymore

So do any of yall here have recommendations for which specific Ghost Rider series to read? Let's say starting from 2000

A guy from my high school writes the current run, and even then I can't recommend it. I'm not familiar with the character much beyond that...very limited appeal to me.

The skills are largely the same between the two, but it's the affixes that are different. Jean slows alot more than Phoenix does. Jean is meant to be played as range, while Phoenix works as a "Right in the center of shit". Jean doesn't last as long as Phoenix does if she runs into the center of a battle.

Interesting. I'd been reading that Jean was the more survivable of the two options and couldn't figure that out. I guess the slow has something to do with it. Having taken Phoenix through several cosmics (at very high gear levels, mind you), she definitely cannot face tank bosses. Maybe as Dark Phoenix, but I haven't specced that yet. Phoenix melts everything else, but bosses require a lot of movement and kiting.

oh thx!

just noticed it looks like they create a completely different thread every month. that's weird, thx

That is a choice to avoid falling into the community section.

Ploid 3.0

Jean has the same slows as Phoenix. Phoenix's attack speed slow is more potent than Jeans, and Jean's movement speed slow is more potent than Jean is all dealing with slow from what I saw.

Jean has the projectile deflection which Kinetic Wave provided a great deal of for them (like Dr Strange) but now it's not as good, and the projectile deflect on Kinetic Wave seem like it would be too tough to utilize unless it's a slow moving projectile maybe? Saving Kinetic Wave for deflect could be something people do I guess. Dr Strange's is great, he can keep it going forever if he wanted it.

Jean's Dark Phoenix is nice.

There are some good mental gear out there, so Jean can benefit it, though there is no mental crit chance synergy yet.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I want to play rogue but i legit have no idea what I want to do with all them skill choices.

Yeah, I'm glad there is a choice and might even explore a hybrid setup in the future, but for now I'm sticking with Phoenix. My gear supports it better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
would like to thank Blank for an amazing raid leading of a thrown together last minute gaf raid. gaffers and 2 pugs, we 1 shot everything, with mostly first timers (I think from Gaf Blank himself was the only one who had done it)

Great tactics explanation, great calls during the fights, just what you want from a raid leader. /10 would raid again

Raid itself was fun, but performance, especially on surtur, was shit. my 2 deaths were both from portal transitions, i come back from the load screen and im dead from something :/

I would probably not transition to red raids (or I would who knows), but as a way to gear up my army of heroes, more of that green one please. Also more earlier raids like this, that was great for me (1 hour earlier would have been perfect).

thanks again Blank

Volimar

would like to thank Blank for an amazing raid leading of a thrown together last minute gaf raid. gaffers and 2 pugs, we 1 shot everything, with mostly first timers (I think from Gaf Blank himself was the only one who had done it)

Great tactics explanation, great calls during the fights, just what you want from a raid leader. /10 would raid again

Raid itself was fun, but performance, especially on surtur, was shit. my 2 deaths were both from portal transitions, i come back from the load screen and im dead from something :/

I would probably not transition to red raids (or I would who knows), but as a way to gear up my army of heroes, more of that green one please. Also more earlier raids like this, that was great for me (1 hour earlier would have been perfect).

thanks again Blank

I gotta say, having you say good things about raiding makes me want to raid more than anything else. Nothing like the praise of a convert.

Blank!

thanks again Blank

RE Surtur: When coming back from a portal, he doesn't animate right away so if he was doing a "take cover" 1-shot attack, you won't see it in his animation (or have the message on your screen). But you CAN look at the mini-map, and if you see people running to cover/already behind cover, chances are you know what's coming.

You start spawned behind cover when returning to portal, I normally take a split second to look at the mini-map and see where the rest of my team is positioned before running out.

As far as raid times, we seem to have a slightly more active mountain/west coast group than east coast. I try to get a raid started at 8-8:30 on Wednesdays and any time really on Saturday/Sunday, whenever I see a decent amount of people on. As long as I get 5 willing Gaffers, I'll plug up the rest with pugs/friends. But I'm always willing to lead one, so if you see me on, just ask and I'll try to get something started. Nice job everyone :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I assume raid lockout is 1 week as usual with mmos?

Dec

Thanks for the raid group.

Died twice, first time I came back from the portal boss and he didn't show the sword animation. Procced resurrect but I assume that counts as a death.

Second death was my fault, got greedy and finished sig before running and barely didn't make it. Mistake because I likely could have med kit invuln'd to save it (not sure hp %), but I was playing it very safe the first time fighting surtur, hiding behind the walls during the sword attack because I wasn't used to the timing on the invuln and was using my tribute to burst the portal bosses. Second time I'd like to just med kit during the sword attack.

Overall it was fun.

I did have a discussion about raiding with MK with TC and Kepow and my points applied. You can easily stay low hp on MK throughout the raid, the problem, and likely the reason MKs are high hp during some fights is spirit. Otherwise there is nothing that will kill you without it being your own fault.

Looking forward to raiding again.

Rhaknar

I only want to raid when Dec is there because his dps makes up for mine >_>

Actually he probably makes up for more than just me lol

Man, Jean's review is so damn fun. I'm building her now more towards crit damage, whereas before it was area damage, and she's feels great. Good survivability, good damage, fantastic sig, easy to swap between both forms. I like.

Right now, Dark Phoenix isn't all that great, so what I've been doing is playing Phoenix and when I run low on spirit I transform back to Jean, use DP, transform back to Phoenix and viola, spirit.

Congrats on the raid, guys! I'm glad you could work out a time that fit better for folks on the other end of the world. It's an interesting first raid as it is breaking new ground in this genre. The first time I entered Surtur and the camera scrolled way back I was in love with the concept.

Looking forward to harder difficulties and whatever else they introduce in terms of future raid content. Thanos?

Also, glad to hear that your plan worked out the way you expected it would, Dec. If you were surviving throughout Surtur at low health levels and maintaining your spirit and damage, then it sounds like it's the right choice. On a few of my characters, I have to pop medkits purely for spirit, so I intentionally take a bit of damage and fire away. That would get in the way of the plan, but I don't play MK to know his spirit regen situation.

Dec

Congrats on the raid, guys! I'm glad you could work out a time that fit better for folks on the other end of the world. It's an interesting first raid as it is breaking new ground in this genre. The first time I entered Surtur and the camera scrolled way back I was in love with the concept.

Looking forward to harder difficulties and whatever else they introduce in terms of future raid content. Thanos?

Also, glad to hear that your plan worked out the way you expected it would, Dec. If you were surviving throughout Surtur at low health levels and maintaining your spirit and damage, then it sounds like it's the right choice. On a few of my characters, I have to pop medkits purely for spirit, so I intentionally take a bit of damage and fire away. That would get in the way of the plan, but I don't play MK to know his spirit regen situation.

As long as he is on the portal team I think he's good on spirit. Seemed like you got completely refilled when porting. I used med kits during the more stamina based bosses for spirit and it probably hurt my dps.

I wonder if swapping lemurs for crit damage or something is a good idea for the raid.

Rhaknar

Speaking of spirit, I was actually having to use the basic for some stretches of times more than I expected, I guess channeling that minigun eventually drains you out. Nothing major tho, a health/spi regen on medkit would solve it, I need to get one with invuln also, mine is only invuln

Anyone got any for Rocket wink wink?

Speaking of spirit, I was actually having to use the basic for some stretches of times more than I expected, I guess channeling that minigun eventually drains you out. Nothing major tho, a health/spi regen on medkit would solve it, I need to get one with invuln also, mine is only invuln

Anyone for any for Rocket wink wink?

Using the destroyer armor omega node helps a lot. Instead of BFG I use the aoe dot gun he has. Even though BFG murders trash, in cosmics, I can fire and forget and they still die, while also using it to help single target dps with minigun. It also helps proc the destroyer armor proc, what it does is whenever your spirit is less than 50% you can activate a proc which regains 50 spirit, this is useful for summoners because using friggas means they have a large spirit pool, so at 50% you still have over 250 spirit, so lots of time to get a proc. The minigun has a low proc rate and the aoe helps a little bit to proc, but it is noticeable enough to help you sustain it. And when you do run out and have to use your basic (This only really happens when you have to burrow a lot, like traveling between the twins), it actually comes back pretty fast with the proc. On top of that I also have the health/spirit medkit core.

As long as he is on the portal team I think he's good on spirit. Seemed like you got completely refilled when porting. I used med kits during the more stamina based bosses for spirit and it probably hurt my dps.

I wonder if swapping lemurs for crit damage or something is a good idea for the raid.

You mean the relic Lemuria? Yeah, I find it great for leveling but pointless for raiding. The miniscule amount of health you're getting isn't going to save you from a boss hit. Most folks gear to survive 1-2 of the large telegraphed boss hits in case they fail to avoid or lag hits, but medkits are obviously the way to regenerate health. Atlantis would be a far better choice.

There are only a few characters who can sustain indefinitely without a health spirit core in a raid. The fights just last too long. Going to a basic is almost always a massive damage loss (Wolverine is a good counterpoint), so definitely get your hands on one. Check the trade channel and can likely get everything you're looking for at the cost of a Loki rune.

Were you raiding as a summoner? It's the most distinct build in a raid of the five heroes I've raided with and changes the mechanics of two fights for the better. I always want a summoner Rocket in my group and usually change to mine if we lack one.

Rhaknar

Of course summoner Tragic. Slightly scary to go near bosses to drop town the aoe turrets, but otherwise it was fine.

Also we need dual spec so I can drop BFG for raids and get max in a defensive talent, probably the dodge (which I used to have but dropped since I don't really need it even in cosmics)

Of course summoner Tragic. Slightly scary to go near bosses to drop town the aoe turrets, but otherwise it was fine.

Also we need dual spec so I can drop BFG for raids and get max in a defensive talent, probably the dodge (which I used to have but dropped since I don't really need it even in cosmics)

I think you only need 1 point in defensive passives for summoner RR. You can stealth at any time and your pets draw aggro. The most dangerous thing in raids are circle on the ground because for some goddamn reason some just don't show up. But if you aren't a bum like me and play on something other than low settings, you can probably dodge things like fire giant circles easily.

Rhaknar

I think you only need 1 point in defensive passives for summoner RR. You can stealth at any time and your pets draw aggro. The most dangerous thing in raids are circle on the ground because for some goddamn reason some just don't show up. But if you aren't a bum like me and play on something other than low settings, you can probably dodge things like fire giant circles easily.

I literally didn't use BFG once during the raid, it's wasted points

edit: was talking to Dec about this, but this event is turning out super disapointing. The first day excited me because I guess I got lucky (one of my first odin chest sprees I got both uniques I was missing on Jean) and I thought it would turn out on par with MM but...no, it didnt at all.

I know that RNG is RNG, but for the most part, the odin chests seem crap, at least for uniques (good for runes I guess). I keep opening huge batches (im talking about 40+ at a time) and getting like, 1 unique out of that, usually some crap any hero, and even worse for the last two days, most of them end up being lower level (what the fuck). In fact I think something bugged out and we started getting lower level uniques from 60 content, and its a shame Gaz isnt acknowledging it (theres several threads about it on the official forums and no reply from any dev), which makes me want to grind out more boxes even less.

I thought the Cosmic event was bad (man MM really spoiled me) but thinking back, at least that one had a purpose, the worldstones for Rogue's legendary, and I got some good stuff from cosmic terminals. This time, I barely even want to do any more of it. Im going to do more stuff tho, at least use up the rest of the odin potions, and get enough marks for 2 legendaries for Nova and Cyclops review. Oh and speaking of those potions, Ive had them active every time ive been on since the event started, not once did I get Odin's Gift. Again, RNG is RNG but yeah, that doesnt help.

Bring on the Armor Tech event already to be honest, at least that one has a goal again (getting Rocket's amazing artifact).

I've been trying to get a lvl 60 M'Kraans with 25%+Invuln myself. I have a ton of cores with 25% or Invul, but not both :(. So far, I've only ever gotten that combo once on a lvl 46 X-Gene, which I gave to Nightcrawler.

If I ever get a lvl 60 drop with both of them on it, I'll prob take up a character that can use it as my main. :p

Yeah, BFG seems completely useless for summoner Rocket in a raid. AOE isn't really needed anywhere, the range is too short compared to minigun, and the spirit cost isn't sustainable.

My current build (stole the screen shot from the forums, not my bar layout).

Rhaknar

thats what im using atm with BFG instead of that...top spell. what is that, I dont think I ever even used it. One of the grenades? not a big fan of grenade spells

edit: Im excited about Cyke's review. I loved him back in vanilla until his giant beam aoe got old and he became a 1 trick pony with ricochet, and was super flimsy on top when I boosted him to lvl 60 a few months ago.

But after all the reviews, im really excited. Especially with the overall of the tactics tree (that thing has to be the most boring tree in all the heroes) with using the original x-men as spells (not as summons mind you, as spells, for example iceman would come down, shoot a icebeam, and then fuck off and go on cooldown I assume)

im also suddenly less fussed about saving my remaining heroes for reviews and kinda just feel like leveling them. With the maxed xp synergies and boosts on top, I level heroes way too fast these days, the whole "leveling process to learn characters" is broken with how fast its become, and especially since I dont even do the story mode until max level or close enough just for the points. That coupled with me going back to lvl 60 heroes that got reviews and, after the initial shock, having no real issue figuring out the new stuff, makes me want to just level up the rest of my characters and then leave them again until the review, just leave them at 60 instead of 31, 32 and whatnot.

Well, except Punisher. Because fuck that character. >_>

Blank!

Yeah, BFG seems completely useless for summoner Rocket in a raid. AOE isn't really needed anywhere, the range is too short compared to minigun, and the spirit cost isn't sustainable.

My current build (stole the screen shot from the forums, not my bar layout).

Are you missing points? My build is roughly the same except:

1- 1 point the shield turret, stay in melee-ish range, and re-cast it when it's on cooldown. It tends to be low cost due to all the -turret powers and does decent damage, albeit on a cooldown.

2- 1 point in BFG, 20 points in mini-gun. 1 point in BFG + turrets is enough to clear trash just fine I find. Mini gun lets be put out my main DPS on bosses.

For spirit, I use a 25% medkit core and 5 points in destroyer armor. It's still not enough and often you'll find yourself taking damage on purpose to trigger the medkit core. There's no shame in resorting to a basic for a bit since pets cover more than 50% of your total damage anyway. So long as you keep your dot-grenade, turrets, and signature use up that's still good damage. If you want to regen a bit, switch to your basic and try to avoid spending spirit for as long as possible (ideally a destroyer armor will proc too for you).

FWIW, I wouldn't use an invul/25% medkit core on rocket. The invul shield is overkill with all the pets/stealth he has. I think my current core is 1400+ HP/25% medkit, but if I ever found a decent fighting/intel/25%medkit quad core, I'd probably use that.

RE Basic attacks: A lot of melee characters can weave a max-level basic attack with +spirit on hit with their 40% boss killer, and due to animation canceling it doesn't even result in a (significant) DPS loss, it's more of a skill point inefficiency (and carpal tunnel). Ms Marvel, Thing, Thor (no spirit on hit basic), and Captain America all do it.

Top Bottom