• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

J-Tier

What exactly happened with Black Panther?

My bad lol, they just removed slow from Enervating Slash. My BP was worse in test server, but I realized that this update might not be 1:1 with the test server. Assuming it's the same as the test server, his dodge (which he's very reliant on) and sp recovery would be messed up. But this might not be the case--From what I've read in the other thread.

No still no luck.
Tried the cache thing and changed my download region but the game wont acknowledge any kind of patch at all. It just takes me to the login screen when I start Marvel and then tells me the servers are offline when I punch in my password.
Maybe its because Im in Australia or something?

Wallach

No still no luck.
Tried the cache thing and changed my download region but the game wont acknowledge any kind of patch at all. It just takes me to the login screen when I start Marvel and then tells me the servers are offline when I punch in my password.

Well, the servers are offline. Are you sure you aren't already patched? What's the build number in the lower left hand corner on the login screen?

There's no ETA on the servers right now, for anyone wondering. I don't believe they will be up tonight, there is clearly a backend issue that they weren't prepared for.

Well, the servers are offline. Are you sure you aren't already patched? What's the build number in the lower left hand corner on the login screen?

There's no ETA on the servers right now, for anyone wondering. I don't believe they will be up tonight, there is clearly a backend issue that they weren't prepared for.

There is an IP address and then it says CL 22413
Wouldnt Steam prompt me to download a patch, instead of doing it automatically?

No still no luck.

Cant be, I'm also in Australia. The patch also started for me on its own while I had Steam open. Your situation is strange.

Yea I dont think the servers are going to be up anytime soon. I knew something was going to fuck up.

DrBo42

No. Are you sure Marvel Heroes is set to update automatically in your options? Maybe try changing that option to something and restarting Steam.

Wallach

That's actually a build version. The CL is correct for the new build, but post the other number for me.

Steam doesn't prompt you for patches or anything, by default it is set to automatically start downloading patches if there is not a game currently running and Steam is loaded. You can change it to only check for a game update when you attempt to launch a game in the settings.

No. Are you sure Marvel Heroes is set to update automatically in your options? Maybe try changing that option to something and restarting Steam.

Yeah. it was set to "always keep this game up to date" by default.
When I look at the disk usage in the Marvel properties, it says 12151 MB on drive C.
I think the original download was about 8GB and this patch is 4 or 5 GB I heard, so maybe Steam did DL the patch but just didnt tell me?

DrBo42

Yeah. it was set to "always keep this game up to date" by default.
When I look at the disk usage in the Marvel properties, it says 12151 MB on drive C.
I think the original download was about 8GB and this patch is 4 or 5 GB I heard, so maybe Steam did DL the patch but just didnt tell me?

Currently at work, can't verify. There's no download area in Steam that shows recent data or anything like that?

DrBo42

Doomsaw is kind of doing an AMA on the official forums at the moment while the servers are being worked on, fun responses. Someone just asked what the planned hero release amount is and he answered "14 per year". Of course that's subject to change but a pretty respectable amount.

Wallach

This was the last update by Rockjaw:

UPDATE, midnight PDT: No news is not good news, unfortunately. We're looking into several options here, but one of them will be 'rolling back' to the previous patch and previous game state. We're hoping that doesn't have to happen, but it may be necessary to get live while we take the time to figure out the overall issue. However, we may still get lucky, and other solutions may work out. I'll keep you posted.

Doesn't sound good. I hope their rollback, if necessary, is right up to the point where they took the servers down. I found a couple very nice items only like 4-5 hours before that.

Wallach

At this time it seems we will be reverting to the previous patch. We'll have more details soon.

Something must be real fucked. With how fast they were trying to crank this thing around the corner I can't say I'm that shocked. Hopefully it isn't going to result in a very long delay.

Edit:

Hey everyone. After an evening of working to see if there was a quick solution to the issues we encountered when we brought up Game Update 1.11 tonight, we've decided to go with 'Plan B' - reverting the Live game to its pre-Game Update 1.11 state. This is safer and will allow the game to be up and for you to play in the live environment while we diagnose, fix, text and redeploy Game Update 1.11.

There's quite a lot of info here so I'll try and lay it out as clearly as possible.

What does 'reverting the Live game' mean?

In short: some big downloads, I'm afraid.

Tonight we'll be deploying a patch which will revert the game state back to the last patch pre-1.11. At the same time we'll be resetting all character progress to where it was right before we took the game offline for maintenance at 3PM PDT this afternoon.

For you to play in the Live game until we re-deploy Game Update 1.11, you will have to download the patch being deployed tonight. There's no way to automatically 'revert your game' without this patch.

Later, when Game Update 1.11 is deployed again, you'll have to re-download that patch as well. We know this sucks and we apologize, it's a lot of downloading.

I don't want to download all that!

If you want to play in the Live game before Game Update 1.11 is deployed, unfortunately, you will have to. If you want to minimize your download, you would have to not launch BitRaider or Steam between, effectively, now and whenever Game Update 1.11 is deployed. Then you'll only have to patch one (more) time, with the Game Update 1.11 patch.

When will Game Update 1.11 be available now?

We can't say at this point. What's going to happen now is our engineers will get to the core of the problem - we have some strong ideas and evidence, but we need to investigate more and then test our findings. Then, we'll figure out the solution. Then, because we'd really not like this to happen again, we'll need to test, test, test. This may involve additional patches on Test Center. At minimum, this will take a couple of days of work, and we cannot guarantee we'll be done before next week.

How did this happen when Game Update 1.11 was on Test Center for all this time?

That's what we're trying to figure out ourselves. It's a mystery right now. We were hoping it was an error in the deploy process, but we've been through that checklist and it's not the case. Clearly, 1.11 works on Test Center - feel free to play it there - so something else unexpected is messing things up. Software breaks. Game development is, contrary to popular belief, quite hard. We're not happy about it, at all - 1.11 is great - but we have to make hard choices now.

What if I played Game Update 1.11 while the servers were briefly up?

If you were one of the few people who played when the servers came back up (around 6PM PDT today, July 31st), your progress in that brief period (about 10m) will be lost, sorry. If you spent any Gs then those Gs will be restored, but any items you purchased will be gone, and you'll have to re-purchase them in-game. Any items found will also be lost, and we cannot restore them I'm afraid. There were very few people in the game during this period (a combination of large patch downloads and a small window) so we will not be issuing any compensation for the loss of progress.

What if I bought Human Torch from the web store (store.marvelheroes.com) tonight?

Human Torch will be ready and waiting for you when Game Update 1.11 is deployed. However, we're removing his Hero Pack from sale tonight to be extra careful.

That's it for now. I may not have covered everything, but the important thing was to explain the plan of action for tonight so you're all aware. I'll monitor for a while and try to cover off additional questions.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh had a feeling something like this might happen with such a big patch. And I woke up early just to play.. damn!

Deadly

Knew I shouldn't have downloaded it yesterday, I barely even play. I'm going to be down 15GB of bandwidth just because of this.

Wallach

Knew I shouldn't have downloaded it yesterday, I barely even play. I'm going to be down 15GB of bandwidth just because of this.

If you're on Steam, just disable auto-updates and wait to play again until the fixed patch comes out. Then you will not have to download this interim patch. That's what I'm probably going to do, and just muck about on the test center in the meantime.

Deadly

If you're on Steam, just disable auto-updates and wait to play again until the fixed patch comes out. Then you will not have to download this interim patch. That's what I'm probably going to do, and just muck about on the test center in the meantime.
By the time I read the thread I had already started up Steam and the download was almost over :(

Wallach

By the time I read the thread I had already started up Steam and the download was almost over :(

For 1.11 or the one after that? If the latter... well, that sucks. :(

Almost wish I could help them out somehow; even though it's the kind of stuff I dealt with there's nothing you can do without access being there in front of you. Pretty obvious how hard they busted their ass on this one, and instead of a payoff they get blown up and wind up just working more crunch. Shitty feeling.

shaowebb

Came in here to ask if Iron Fist was ever made a character, saw that a current update locked folks off the server and a rollback is happening to accomodate. Dont think I should really bother...I wasn't impressed to begin with in the beta and this just seems like I dont have a reason to think things will be worth it. I may blindly ignore common sense though if Iron Fist is there sadly...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Bummer about the patch. I mean, I sort of expected them to have this whole thing together by now. Sure, game dev is hard...Most of us DO know that. But I figured with all of the testing and work they'd done on it, this would go a bit smoother.

Nonetheless, that just means I'll continue to wait. I wasn't really enjoying the end-game pre-1.11, so no reason for me to jump on! :)

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well I guess I'll take this time to finally move my game over to Steam.

Nonetheless, that just means I'll continue to wait. I wasn't really enjoying the end-game pre-1.11, so no reason for me to jump on! :)

Yea same here. Not played in about a week or two so I'll just continue to wait.

Xevren

Jesus, that just sucks. The big July patch gets pushed into August now. Back to playing other stuff until it goes live.

inky

Well, I was hoping to play a bit today. That sucks.

I uninstalled the game, and will install it back once the patch makes it in. I wanted to move it to a different HDD anyways.

Scirrocco

Well damn. I was hoping to get some gameplay in before i have to leave on my trip, now thats not going to happen. I'll even miss the inevitable "we're sorry" double exp weekend thats sure to come.

Right when it seems they're hitting their stride, Gazillion again shoots itself in the foot.

SirKhalid

I didn't complete my download yesterday I was at about 95%, now I not sure if I have to download 1.11 or not my folder seems to have gone back to 11.5 gb. I disabled auto-update so I am not sure. I was kinda excited to try the new stuff.

What happens anyway? What was the issues?

I hope they will learn that they need to takes their time... I still have zero confidence in Gazillion, hopefully that will change one day...

Came in here to ask if Iron Fist was ever made a character, saw that a current update locked folks off the server and a rollback is happening to accomodate. Dont think I should really bother...I wasn't impressed to begin with in the beta and this just seems like I dont have a reason to think things will be worth it. I may blindly ignore common sense though if Iron Fist is there sadly...

Iron Fist is a summon for Luke Cage's Ultimate power. Whether that has an effect on him being playable in the future is impossible to say, so take that as you will. And he certainly won't be one of the next 10 heroes added to the game (which will take at least the next 8 months to implement).

I still can't get on right now, even after DLing the new revert patch.

Are the servers down for everyone?

Yeah they took them down to solve some more issues. No ETA for them being brought back up yet.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Going by this update from the forums we could be getting the patch tomorrow. Course I would warn against planning anything around it.

Unofficial update: (community team will be updating with more details)

1.Internally we have solved all problems from last night.

2.We're working on an upgraded downloader experience for tomorrow morning.

3.We are getting 2 Matrix of Unbinding to everyone to help with the artifacts being unique for the patch update.

Ken

3.We are getting 2 Matrix of Unbinding to everyone to help with the artifacts being unique for the patch update.

what doe sthis mean. i don't think i've gotten an artifact item yet (or modified my costume)

Top Bottom