• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

Moondrop

Banned
It's worth doing the prologue again, especially the Queens bank robbery I don't ever recall doing before. I got a grappling hook artifact (with power) and a new medallion (+movement speed, movement power buffs). Then just waypoint through the rest of the story for total bonuses of 250 health, 30 spirit, and 6 power points over both difficulties.

Jean was definitely improved, but the supposed overhaul was a bit underwhelming. At least the removal of synergies frees up points for more varied builds. I've specced into a backline/support/passive build that glides through MM unscathed. Psychic Confusion is godly against mobs.

Manbig

So as I've discussed with a few people in the guild chat, Thor, Cable, and Wolverine are incredibly strong (maybe overpowered) right now.

Thor is pretty much all about herding giant mobs together with full Odinforce, God Blasting them all for 25k (which refills your Odinforce completely), rinse and repeat.

Cable's roll gives him a ton of passive dodge, his crit passive appears to give him a lot more crit chance, and the changes to the rank system allow him to spread his points out early on. I do 10k+ crits with him at level 19 and take almost zero damage in MM.

Wolverine is more unkillable than he's ever been before due to the defense changes. Thanks to the universal power changes, he also happens to do a fuckton of single target and PBAoE damage on top of that.

KePoW

Banned
So as I've discussed with a few people in the guild chat, Thor, Cable, and Wolverine are incredibly strong (maybe overpowered) right now.

Thor is pretty much all about herding giant mobs together with full Odinforce, God Blasting them all for 25k (which refills your Odinforce completely), rinse and repeat.

Cable's roll gives him a ton of passive dodge, his crit passive appears to give him a lot more crit chance, and the changes to the rank system allow him to spread his points out early on. I do 10k+ crits with him at level 19 and take almost zero damage in MM.

Wolverine is more unkillable than he's ever been before due to the defense changes. Thanks to the universal power changes, he also happens to do a fuckton of single target and PBAoE damage on top of that.

That's what I was afraid of with the new defense system. That Gaz would take it too far and make the game easymode and lots of heroes overpowered.

Quite frankly, I think Gaz listens to whiners too much sometimes.

I don't know if I'm the minority, but I like games to be a CHALLENGE. Not automatic godmode for players, where you just stand in one spot with no threat of dying. That's freakin boring in the long run. (for example I liked D3's original Inferno... yes I died hundreds of times but I thought it was hilarious and especially funny in parties)

I would think GAF posters would understand that games need to have some sort of challenge and threat of death. Having players be godmode makes for short longevity of a game.

inky

I don't think Thor's changes are representative of catering to whiners to make the game easier. The defense change was needed overall because the old system was just stupid, and Thor had very few viable abilities and a lot of synergies that made his build super stale. I've always said that Thor felt powerful (he has been my main forever) but he didn't really have a lot of variety and some of the powers you just never really needed or were redundant like Smite. His health/def scaling was very poor as well.
The thing is both changes came at the same time for him, plus he had a few powers (like god blast) redone not long ago to much more powerful versions because Odinforce was hardly used for anything.

Same thing with Cable. He was always at the top of the hero power scale since he was first released in beta. He had 2 great AoE abilities and a lot of utility ones. The first 2 patches were huge nerfs to him, especially things like his mobility and AoE damage and still he never really fell off like some other heroes did with the nerfs (Hulk, Iron Man, Jean, etc.)

I do agree that they are making the game easy overall, but that goes for everything, it's just that different people want different things and sometimes the timing helps some heroes more than others.

GManDH

so superheroic is CRAZY fun, but unless youre 50+ its also CRAZY hard. anyone who is between level 40-49 wanna team up and try to do most of superheroic together? i got a colo, and i wouldnt even mind a team of 5 just no boss rushing and if necessary we stop and start over if we cant defeat an enemy.

Scirrocco

so superheroic is CRAZY fun, but unless youre 50+ its also CRAZY hard. anyone who is between level 40-49 wanna team up and try to do most of superheroic together? i got a colo, and i wouldnt even mind a team of 5 just no boss rushing and if necessary we stop and start over if we cant defeat an enemy.

47 Ms M. When were you planning to be on?

KePoW

Banned
I don't think Thor's changes are representative of catering to whiners to make the game easier. The defense change was needed overall because the old system was just stupid, and Thor had very few viable abilities and a lot of synergies that made his build super stale. I've always said that Thor felt powerful (he has been my main forever) but he didn't really have a lot of variety and some of the powers you just never really needed or were redundant like Smite. His health/def scaling was very poor as well.
The thing is both changes came at the same time for him, plus he had a few powers (like god blast) redone not long ago to much more powerful versions because Odinforce was hardly used for anything.

Same thing with Cable. He was always at the top of the hero power scale since he was first released in beta. He had 2 great AoE abilities and a lot of utility ones. The first 2 patches were huge nerfs to him, especially things like his mobility and AoE damage and still he never really fell off like some other heroes did with the nerfs (Hulk, Iron Man, Jean, etc.)

I do agree that they are making the game easy overall, but that goes for everything, it's just that different people want different things and sometimes the timing helps some heroes more than others.

Yeah I was talking overall, not necessarily specifics on Thor / Cable / Wolverine.

I don't want an easy game in general.

Wallach

I don't think Cable is really a problem. He's nothing like Thor outside of the fact that they are both two of the most powerful heroes in the game. Cable at least has pretty significant gear dependence and is one of the harder characters to play; Thor has almost no gear dependence whatsoever and you can pretty much destroy all the content in the game with three buttons and no dodging/aiming of anything (unless you consider which half of the screen you're facing when you hit God Blast "aiming").

inky

Ugh, I can't play tonight. I don't know why I have so much lag. I was playing LoL before with 2 streams open in my second monitor and my ping was 55 over there, yet in MH it takes a couple of seconds for creatures to react to my damage on-screen =/

Well my Cyclops is pretty much done. 60 and well enough equipped. Just need to do the additional playthroughs. For anyone looking for a new character I highly recommend Cyclops. Properly equipped he's probably the best farming character in the game that is least likely to get nerfed.

I want a tanky for my next character. Is there even such a thing in this game? For example can any character survive a Rhino/Juggernaut charge? Maybe Wolverine...

Also what's the best money sink? I'm at the credit cap and don't know what to do with it. Seems a waste.

DrBo42

Game is really solid with this patch. Should have been the build they launched with but it's finally getting there.

Put some time back into Iron Man, he's finally playable. I can at least handle being surrounded by a screen full of mobs in MM and keep my shields up/DFA when off cooldown. Offensively he's still meh but he can get the job done. Looking forward to his rework.

Seeing all the different builds of Emma running around is really cool. Seems like she's the first realization of a true multi-build character in the game.

I have to hand it to Gaz, they're really putting in the work to make this a great game. While it's not there yet, I have high hopes for the future. Now if they'd just put PvP on a late 2014 back burner and focus on giving us some fun alternative modes and end-game content we'll be in business.

Well my Cyclops is pretty much done. 60 and well enough equipped. Just need to do the additional playthroughs. For anyone looking for a new character I highly recommend Cyclops. Properly equipped he's probably the best farming character in the game that is least likely to get nerfed.

I want a tanky for my next character. Is there even such a thing in this game? For example can any character survive a Rhino/Juggernaut charge? Maybe Wolverine...

Also what's the best money sink? I'm at the credit cap and don't know what to do with it. Seems a waste.

If I throw my kinetic shield on Iron Man I can survive either. It'll take me down to about half health though.

yogloo

Can you share your cyclops build?

sleepykyo

Are cosmics really rare now? I remember I used to come across them once in a while, but I've only gotten one since 1.2. Also has anyone tried re-rolling cosmics yet? I'm curious if the level gets upped to reflect the current character's level or does it stay the same.

After a long break I got back into this last night, continued a bit more with my Hawkeye.

Level 20 and mid-way through chapter 5 now; got my first Relic and a super improvement to my bow, so I'm beasting at this point.

Seems to be a better drop rate on Splinters since they first came out? I have almost 30 now.

Community is great, lots of chatter when I had a question or two and plenty of heroes around everywhere you go.

Makes me want to upgrade the PC again though. When I got to the Mansion it was running like trash lol..

Any Aussies around that play it regularly? Would love to Party up one evening.

KePoW

Banned
Are cosmics really rare now? I remember I used to come across them once in a while, but I've only gotten one since 1.2. Also has anyone tried re-rolling cosmics yet? I'm curious if the level gets upped to reflect the current character's level or does it stay the same.

I've gotten several cosmics since 1.2, seems about same drop rate to me.

I don't have the reroll recipe yet.

GManDH

YAY!!1

Monday Night Update

Hello all,

Here are some quick updates from Monday:

We did work on the UI for the Hero Synergy System today. It should be another week before the UI is done and the entire system is tested, but I would expect it on test center next week. We've iterated the design quite a bit and settled on giving a player the option to select synergy bonuses from 10 heroes at any one time. You will be rewarded for having heroes at level 25 and level 50. Here is an early concept sneak peak (ignore the details, this is just a rough early mockup): http://i.imgur.com/f4PyY7u.jpg

Doop's loot table was not set correctly and has been fixed. He will drop more goodies next patch.

We killed the "Freezing" affix, since it's so unfun. We'll redesign it to be more interactive at a later date.

We tuned down Superheroic mode density and spike damage by about 4%. Red Terminals will remain very tough, although boss health may be reduced slightly.

We are looking at boss health in a couple of zones that is just a tad too high.

We are finishing up the new quest system that I'll talk about later this week.

Tenacity is working correctly internally and will be in this week's patch.

Luke Cage work continued today, along with some Squirrel Girl.

Emma Frost's "minion explode" was doing much increased damage since it was calculating mob health from two weeks ago, when mobs had lower health but had defense. This will be fixed next patch.

We fixed about 30 small bugs for next patch.

We discussed raid system design. This will be an end-game activity to launch sometime around the Thor movie.

We have a small multi-discipline task force on the first 60 minutes of the game to help new players work through their first play experience. This will be healthy for the long-term success of the game.

We are gathering data from experience gain, time to kill and reward rates to adjust for the next patch.

Iron Man rework chugging along. Some cool new animations.

I'll send you another update tomorrow. Have a great night!

Doomsaw

Hero synergy looks neat, though I expect some people won't be happy with various bonuses they want being locked behind heroes they're not interested in. And in regards to leveling heroes, I really hope they do major work on experience gain in the lower levels, because it's noticeably slow right now.

Also looks like Asgard will be where the first raid is with Loki being the end boss.

Xevren

Oh my god at all the changes since last I played. Homing projectiles, massive damage, a TELEPORT?! Time to play my Scarlet again :)

Wallach

Test Center is back up with the new X-Defense mode. Sounds like it is a slightly older version than what they have running internally though so expect it to be outta whack tuning wise. Patch notes will also not be available until tomorrow. I might have just waited until tomorrow to bring the Test Center up in that case, but whatever. It's coming soon at least.

inky

So much exciting stuff to come with this game.

For sure. They have shown a commitment to improve the game beyond everyone's expectations I think. Something I would hope companies like Blizzard would do to their online games instead of sitting on their hands all day.

Xevren

All I know is I had the most fun I ever had with this game playing the new Scarlet last night. Her changes are amazing, plus it's nice actually being able to level in the 50s!

GManDH

All I know is I had the most fun I ever had with this game playing the new Scarlet last night. Her changes are amazing, plus it's nice actually being able to level in the 50s!

IM TRYING TO GET IN THE 50S. whats the quickest way to level up? ill prob be playing for almost 10 hours tomorrow.

GManDH

okay, then tomorrow ill team up with someone and well do reds and story most of the day. BTW patch notes up, ppl want me to post it here?

Ken

Eh, that's lame. Guess I'll wait a bit longer to see in what direction they want the leveling curve to be like.

GManDH

Eh, that's lame. Guess I'll wait a bit longer to see in what direction they want the leveling curve to be like.

if you can play as much alts as you can. apparently they are going to start rewarding people that have several characters past certain levels.

Ken

if you can play as much alts as you can. apparently they are going to start rewarding people that have several characters past certain levels.

The synergy thing or something else? Because the synergy thing doesn't look super appealing to me.

inky

That synergy thing is too much like some facebook games. As long as it doesn't apply to PvP (LOL PvP) it's just a neat little bonus for having several characters, but not much else.

Is it true EXP curve got harder?

Experience needed to go from 1-60 is about the same. They redid the levels so it takes longer to get to 1-40ish and shorter from 40-60. Dumb change since the early levels are generally the most boring because characters have the fewest options. This change is made worse with Midtown giving less experience and blue/yellow enemies having much more health than before.

inky

Could someone post the notes here? Blocked at work.

Abridged:

Overall Patch Summary

Today’s weekly patch has a few small buffs to loot and experience in various areas of the game, a few bug fixes, buffs to a few unique items and several performance upgrades.
We are working towards our monthly large patch that will include X-Defense, Hero Synergy System, Luke Cage, Prestige System, Team Insignias, the Iron Man upgrade, more unique items and many more changes.

General Loot Improvements

-Doop has massively increased loot when killed and has 30% more health. (Chase him down!)
-Moderately increased chances of blue, purple, cosmic and uniques dropping. Slightly decreased chance of white and green items dropping. This will make rarity boost bonuses even more effective. Cow level loot is significantly more epic and the zone has a much higher density of enemies. If it moves, it’s a Skrull. If it doesn’t move, it’s a well-disciplined Skrull.

Experience Improvements

- Leveling up to level 29 is modestly faster. Leveling from 29-39 is slightly faster.
- Story zone experience has been increased by 10%.
- Midtown Patrol experience increased slightly below level 40.
- Leveling speeds are impossible to be perfect for every player in every situation. Not every person is going to be happy at any given leveling rate, but we will keep iterating to make it feel as rewarding as possible without making every level trivial.

Hero Changes

Emma Frost: Explode Minion's increased damage based on pet health has been reduced to 5% (from 10%). With the recent removal of mob defense and increase of mob health, this contribution was increasing the damage of Explode Minion beyond its intended amount.

Modes and Zone Changes

- All Green/Red terminals have been refactored in order to make sure the maximum amount of regions are beneficial, yet challenging to your current character at any given time.
- Tiers now unlock at slightly different levels, and are more uniform in their progression. Tier 4 Dailies are now unlocked at level 58 in order to match new progression.

Boss/Mob Changes

Most enemy damage at higher level has been increased by 5-10%.
Decreased boss health globally by 10%. Please let us know how this feels on our forums.
Added new dramatic entrance animations for several enemies.
Hydra Exolaunchers: Now deal more damage.
Shocker: Energy Shockwave attack (when red circles appear and the ceiling caves in) deals more damage
Bullseye: Mark of Death attack (when you're told to Take Cover!) now deals more damage.
Pyro, Sauron, and Venom have more HP in the Story regions.
The Freeze affix has been temporarily disabled. No enemy should spawn with it. We will be creating a new version of this that feels challenging, but less punishing.
Various enemy affixes have been adjusted for clarity and responsiveness.

UI Changes

- Mission Tracker on the HUD now has a background to make it easier to read. Click the right-hand label to toggle the Tracker on/off.
- Stash tabs you do not own now have a green G icon over them, instead of a dark overlay.
- The game will display only one "you cannot switch (hero/difficulty) here" banner message at a time to reduce messaging spam. This message has had its color changed to increase visibility.
- Player name in the bottom left corner of the screen has been removed for aesthetic reasons (this was supposed to be a beta testing only UI element). We will add a toggle to turn it on for screenshot purposes.
- Empty Power Slots will now display a Tooltip when you mouseover them instructing how to fill them with a power.

Item Changes

- Gifts are now only visible for individual players, like yellow XP orbs. If you see one, no one else can pick it up.
- The artifact that Black Cat can drop when defeated is now called Black Cat's Grappling Hook.
- STASH Access Card (new shop item) now has a cooldown of 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes and is 700G.
++ A few unique item changes

Store Changes

- Daredevil - Earth X Costume
- Human Torch - Light Brigade Costume

Bug Fixes

Several, mostly Emma based ones, distance damage related and waypoint/UI ones.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Ohh MH has Steam trading cards now.

Got an extra Deadpool card to trade for a Captain America, Iron Man or Hulk if anyone interested.

Top Bottom