• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

KePoW

Banned
I spec'd RR back again and ran around trying to get my feet wet again. It feels like they buffed him since I last played (I stopped about a week or two after MM came out), so that's good.

Yeah by no means is RR bad. He's fine.

Just not one of the top-5 at the moment, but nothing wrong with that.

I'm considering dropping the $$ to pre-order Loki. The only thing holding me back is that I don't really get that much time to play.

That said, my brother has a lot more time but has encountered a problem. While playing as Power Man, he got to the Starktech on the Loose mission. The goal is to destroy 5 prototypes. He went through the area, even going as far as to defeat
Modok
but the tracker is showing only 4 prototypes destroyed. We've both combed through the area a couple of times and there appears to be nothing he missed. What are his options at this point? Is there a way to contact a dev in-game?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah by no means is RR bad. He's fine.

Just not one of the top-5 at the moment, but nothing wrong with that.

I've yet to see another RR, so it's cool. They must have buffed turrets and Groot, because I can pretty much stand and deliver in large groups while Groot rocks the world. I'm OK with this haha

KePoW

Banned
That said, my brother has a lot more time but has encountered a problem. While playing as Power Man, he got to the Starktech on the Loose mission. The goal is to destroy 5 prototypes. He went through the area, even going as far as to defeat
Modok
but the tracker is showing only 4 prototypes destroyed. We've both combed through the area a couple of times and there appears to be nothing he missed. What are his options at this point? Is there a way to contact a dev in-game?

Just go back to town and completely quit out of the game. The game will re-roll that area map at some point in time, and you can just go back there to smash 1 more item.

LuuKyK

Piqued, not picked.
I'm being an ass, haha.

How hard is it to get that damn bovine recipe? Is it worth buying Fortune Card 1 in order to get it, or should I buy the other Fortune Card packs for goodies?

What are you talking about? :lol

:p No but seriously, I really thought it was picked. Weird.

Wallach

Some preview images of the Asgard patch Doomsaw posted:

http://imgur.com/a/bFolV#0

Fair amount of stuff crammed into 5 images if you can't view (mobile/work/whatever):

- New character sheet UI with the added slots and currencies displayed

- Colossus has Magik as a summon in the first image

- Nova in his Sam costume, which is apparently his default

- New Waypoint UI that is also linked to all non-PvP terminals

- Legendary shop with Excalibur shown; shows legendaries have no stats at rank 0, and rank 1 requires 1 million XP

- New artifact "Spirit of Ymir" (just shown on ground, no stats)

Fair amount of stuff crammed into 5 images if you can't view (mobile/work/whatever):

- Legendary shop with Excalibur shown; shows legendaries have no stats at rank 0, and rank 1 requires 1 million XP

I'm probably going to Legendary up my Cyclops but I'm afraid of investing too much into him before seeing what they do with the character rework. Still have 300 plus Odin points to go though so it can wait.

Yo damn! I'm gonna have to give Colossus a bit more attention it seems. Atleast until Magik becomes playable.

Wallach

I'm probably going to Legendary up my Cyclops but I'm afraid of investing too much into him before seeing what they do with the character rework. Still have 300 plus Odin points to go though so it can wait.

You're way ahead of me on the Odin Marks count. I got real tired of rerolling messed up Legendary Quests pretty quick. Since I'll be focusing my efforts on Loki when the patch drops, though, I'll probably spend my time from now until then just grinding those. Really hoping the Cask of Ancient Winters is something well suited for him...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are they actively working to fix the Legendary Quests? So far, I've had easy ones that are completable with a little research. I'm not looking forward to getting a broken one...

Wallach

Are they actively working to fix the Legendary Quests? So far, I've had easy ones that are completable with a little research. I'm not looking forward to getting a broken one...

They're already mostly all fixed, and today's patch will probably take care of any remaining problems (as well as have them properly rewarding credits finally). Was a much larger problem between when they were first implemented and 1.4.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They're already mostly all fixed, and today's patch will probably take care of any remaining problems (as well as have them properly rewarding credits finally). Was a much larger problem between when they were first implemented and 1.4.

OK, cool.

Is there a good resource for the "quickest" way to complete Legendary Quests? I've been trying to do the one where you have to prevent the bank robbery and grocery store robbery. I haven't found the final part with killing Maggia (?) goons. But other ones that come up might be nice to have a reference for.

inky

A couple of keys for you guys to redeem in case you haven't:

RETCON-0813 - For a free retcon

IM3HRTBREAKER - For the free Iron Man costume

Keys are redeemable over at the main site. Click on your profile.

Any word on what type of character Loki is going to be? I'm just trying to make up my mind about buying him or not.

And thanks to KePoW - that did reset the mission for him.

Wallach

Any word on what type of character Loki is going to be? I'm just trying to make up my mind about buying him or not.

And thanks to KePoW - that did reset the mission for him.

Only word we have is what was posted in the announcement thread:

Here is a brief summary of Loki from @MichaelMayhem in the design team...

Loki is a versatile caster, specializing in debuffs and illusions to excel in combat. As a descendant of the Frost Giants of Jotunheim, Loki's attunement with ice magic is superb, channeling ice and frost to hinder enemies. His mastery of magic allows him to manipulate enemies, hindering their ability to fight, or even turning them against one another. Whether through ice or arcane magic, Loki's powers flow into each other, allowing him to take full advantage of the debuffs he weaves onto enemies.

In addition to magical arts, The God of Mischief is capable of creating identical illusions of himself to trick foes.

Illusions can only be maintained for a short time - continuously creating them is the key to overcoming powerful enemies. These illusions are projections of Loki and will react to commands he performs, synchronizing their attacks to hide who the true Loki is. As with anyone serving Loki, illusions are expendable, and can be detonated with great force when the trickster no longer has need of them.

Just based on the heroes they've released post-launch and the most recent large-scale hero reviews, I think he'll probably turn out pretty strong. Plus he's Loki... he's burdened with glorious purpose. I guess what it should probably come down to is whether you'd rather spend your cash on him or Gambit, who will be releasing only a couple weeks after Loki.

Edit - We also know his third tree is more of a melee/defense tree based on his Frost Giant heritage. His signature power is apparently the ability to temporarily shift into a full-fledged Frost Giant form.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I must say, after playing again the past two nights, I'm really impressed with the way they add heroes. Even though they have a melee/ranged/caster feel, the fact that they are all different heroes really gives everyone a unique feel. I'm excited to play more again.

I also should add that even though leveling takes forever past a certain point, you get to the point where you don't feel the NEED to level. I really appreciate that.

KePoW

Banned
I must say, after playing again the past two nights, I'm really impressed with the way they add heroes. Even though they have a melee/ranged/caster feel, the fact that they are all different heroes really gives everyone a unique feel. I'm excited to play more again.

I also should add that even though leveling takes forever past a certain point, you get to the point where you don't feel the NEED to level. I really appreciate that.

Agreed on both points.

I have 500 hours played and I still don't have a level 60. I don't feel any reason/need to rush to max level... it's not like a MMORPG.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Agreed on both points.

I have 500 hours played and I still don't have a level 60. I don't feel any reason/need to rush to max level... it's not like a MMORPG.

Having no real "gated content" helps this SO much. By about 40 or so, I think every hero is capable of holding their own.

Speaking of ranks, do you get story rewards when you complete each difficulty? If so, that makes leveling even LESS important, haha.

KePoW

Banned
Having no real "gated content" helps this SO much. By about 40 or so, I think every hero is capable of holding their own.

Speaking of ranks, do you get story rewards when you complete each difficulty? If so, that makes leveling even LESS important, haha.

If you mean Quest rewards, yes you get them separately for each difficulty. So some are definitely worth doing all three times (like +Power Pts / +Spirit / +HPs / etc)

I loaded up the Test Server last night so I could give some other characters a go. Of course, Deadpool was at the top of my list. He seems great fun and a definite buy.

I've also used the G to grab Spidey, Thor and Wolvey, so I'll have a run with them too and see if they're worth the money.. Honestly though, as a big Marvel fan, they're probably all worth a try haha..

smr00

Banned
I loaded up the Test Server last night so I could give some other characters a go. Of course, Deadpool was at the top of my list. He seems great fun and a definite buy.

I've also used the G to grab Spidey, Thor and Wolvey, so I'll have a run with them too and see if they're worth the money.. Honestly though, as a big Marvel fan, they're probably all worth a try haha..
They really should of made all heroes free and just charge for costumes, items etc.

I already sank $200 on the ultimate founders and want to buy more costumes all the upcoming heroes. Fucking game is going to break me.

They really should of made all heroes free and just charge for costumes, items etc.

I already sank $200 on the ultimate founders and want to buy more costumes all the upcoming heroes. Fucking game is going to break me.

Couldn't agree with this any more.
F2P should be free to play with all (or at least most) characters, and as you say, paid costumes, gear, new DLC etc..

Way too late to change it now I guess, but I'll be getting in on Deadpool at the very least once we get the new PC.

The heroes don't need to be free, but they should at least be more affordable. The prices are awful. I've spent little money in this game, but if everything was cheaper, I would constantly be throwing money at the screen.

Dammit I was hoping this sale didn't have any costumes I wanted, but it has several I've had my eyes on for a while now. Gaz is really going after my wallet this month.

My eyes could be failing me, but the orange coloring on that looks more like the splinter one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the currency all players need to collect and turn in to unlock the hub in Asgard.

Vecks

The heroes don't need to be free, but they should at least be more affordable. The prices are awful. I've spent little money in this game, but if everything was cheaper, I would constantly be throwing money at the screen.

Yeah. Their pricing is merciless. I want to buy stuff, but it's hard to justify. The sales aren't very good either.

Yeah. Their pricing is merciless. I want to buy stuff, but it's hard to justify. The sales aren't very good either.

At $20 for a single hero, I feel ripped off. If it was like $5, I would probably buy every hero they released. Same with costumes, I would be constantly buying their shit as they pump it out. But the high price on a single item just feels wrong, and turns me away. Make me feel not like im getting ripped off, and I would gladly give you moneys.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wish I could go back in time and buy the Founders Pack...It's a bit too expensive for me to justify buying everyone at this point.

A couple of keys for you guys to redeem in case you haven't:

RETCON-0813 - For a free retcon

IM3HRTBREAKER - For the free Iron Man costume

Keys are redeemable over at the main site. Click on your profile.

Huh, that Heartbreaker code works even if you already have the costume from the old event. Guess I have more costume blender fodder.

Scirrocco

At $20 for a single hero, I feel ripped off. If it was like $5, I would probably buy every hero they released. Same with costumes, I would be constantly buying their shit as they pump it out. But the high price on a single item just feels wrong, and turns me away. Make me feel not like im getting ripped off, and I would gladly give you moneys.

The best explanation i can think of on prices is because the characters are licensed from marvel. Marvel may be requiring them to do it a certain way, and i can say for certain they take a piece of every purchase, so the prices might be higher so gaz makes the same profit as other games, who own their own IP.

KePoW

Banned
At $20 for a single hero, I feel ripped off. If it was like $5, I would probably buy every hero they released.

Not sure if you're just exaggerating for effect, because you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the game otherwise. But there is no hero that costs $20 or even close. Currently, it's around:

$14.50 -- 3 heroes
$11 -- 4 heroes
$9 -- 12 heroes
$4.50 -- 6 heroes

I might have missed a couple, but that's close. I don't think those prices are bad, especially with the Splinter system.

Not sure if you're just exaggerating for effect, because you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the game otherwise. But there is no hero that costs $20 or even close. Currently, it's around:

$14.50 -- 3 heroes
$11 -- 4 heroes
$9 -- 12 heroes
$4.50 -- 6 heroes

I might have missed a couple, but that's close. I don't think those prices are bad, especially with the Splinter system.

More talking about the hero packs with the higher ones being $20 for a single dude, yea you get extras and such but stuff is quite expensive. Splinters are nice and all but unless your hardcore into the game, it takes forever to get enough to buy a hero.

Yea I know it's free and they have to make money, but I think they really could rake in so much more money with more reasonable prices.

Gothos

$14.50 -- 3 heroes
$11 -- 4 heroes
$9 -- 12 heroes
$4.50 -- 6 heroes

Slash those prices by half and I would consider giving them some money. As of right now, I agree, their business model is absurd and hopefuly the sales will low enough that they'll understand that MICROtransaction is where there money is.

KePoW

Banned
Slash those prices by half and I would consider giving them some money. As of right now, I agree, their business model is absurd and hopefuly the sales will low enough that they'll understand that MICROtransaction is where there money is.

I really don't think it's too out of line, if you think of it like this --

Nobody needs to have all 25 heroes. Even if everyone had them all for free, I guarantee you most players will not play all 25+ regularly. Just like in a MMORPG, a lot of people don't like playing a bunch of alts... only a small percentage of the player base does that.

With that being said, if you buy around 6-8 heroes that ends up being around the price of a regular game or less ($50-$60).

Most ARPGs have around 5-7 classes and no more than that, so that's about equivalent.

Gothos

I really don't think it's too out of line, if you think of it like this --

Nobody needs to have all 25 heroes. Even if everyone had them all for free, I guarantee you most players will not play all 25+ regularly. Just like in a MMORPG, a lot of people don't like playing a bunch of alts... only a small percentage of the player base does that.

With that being said, if you buy around 6-8 heroes that ends up being around the price of a regular game or less ($50-$60).

Most ARPGs have around 5-7 classes and no more than that, so that's about equivalent.

You see, the problem is that in MMORPG I can make another character to check out other classes without any problem - in MH it's impossible to do. If they wanna have such retarded prices there at least should be some kind of method that allows me to try the hero before shelling out 15$ on it. Closing the most alluring content behind the paywall is the stupidiest method to make money in the long run. I'm waiting patiently for it to happen and then I'll come back to play it.

KePoW

Banned
You see, the problem is that in MMORPG I can make another character to check out other classes without any problem - in MH it's impossible to do.

That's true, and a valid point.

You can try out any class on the Test Server, but that's the only way in Marvel Heroes.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, that Heartbreaker code works even if you already have the costume from the old event. Guess I have more costume blender fodder.

Glad you posted this. I hadn't even thought to try and redeem that code because I already have the costume.

Ugh just rolled yet another crappy Human Torch costume, that's two in a row now. I hate you Johnny.

Just for the record - in regards to the "I wanna try heroes before buying", Doomsaw (one of the devs) actually posted something about that in the official forums:
We also have on the list "Play through a hero for a short time" as a test-drive and will likely eventually do it. Maybe for Spring 2014.

Source

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yea I'm sure it will be. I have a feeling this game is doing better than people think it is.

It would be pretty awesome if the devs would release some info on how the game is performing in that respect. I doubt they would, but it would be nice to know that the game does indeed have a future!

Top Bottom