• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

kswiston

so if no else wants it I will likely just move my wife's account over for a bit as she has over 500 points in the sentry event.

Sounds good. We are at 130 something, so that could be the difference.

I started getting pounded after getting to 600 in the Sentry event. Every time I fought a battle, I was attacked 1-2 times. I briefly made it to 700 before being batted down to 660ish as soon as I won. I threw up a shield. I'm sitting at #42, and am hoping that I can sneak in one last battle before the timer runs out to get a Patch...

NomarTyme

I started getting pounded after getting to 600 in the Sentry event. Every time I fought a battle, I was attacked 1-2 times. I briefly made it to 700 before being batted down to 660ish as soon as I won. I threw up a shield. I'm sitting at #42, and am hoping that I can sneak in one last battle before the timer runs out to get a Patch...

Yeah be careful with that. Be sure you can finish the match quick. I usually break shield around the 3 minute mark.

zulux21

im at 57th or so... whether I break shield will depend on if we are close to getting an alliance cover.... I am instead just focusing on PVE as despite being in the top 30 on hard and top 90 on easy I am still 240th overall in my bracket -_-

NomarTyme

im at 57th or so... whether I break shield will depend on if we are close to getting an alliance cover.... I am instead just focusing on PVE as despite being in the top 30 on hard and top 90 on easy I am still 240th overall in my bracket -_-

Yeah we are about the same. I see the people with 2 stars are grinding like crazy, but they should know that this is a long event. They'll burn out.

kswiston

Yeah be careful with that. Be sure you can finish the match quick. I usually break shield around the 3 minute mark.

I have a battle lined up that I can clear in 5 mins or less with my Storm/Mags team.

We have 4 people under 300 and like 10 people under 500. Hopefully some of them can pull up their points totals and get us those last 18 spots. I'm not going to break my shield unless I drop below rank 50. still holding at 42.

KuroNeeko

You guys in Avengers are too hardcore for me;D I'm aiming for a spot in Men.

Looking at the 1★ → 3★ guide up on the forums, it's hard to believe that they recommend building *one* 2★ team and then moving on to 3★ teams. How can you possible choose / build a team that can handle everything?

I'm pretty sure I'm settling on C. Storm (5/1/2) and MN. Mags (1/1/5) with a 2★ Thor, but I'll take an Aries if I have to. The only thing I don't really like about this bombtastic team is that Storm doesn't play nicely with OBWillow.

Seems like the ↑ team takes a while to get going, but once you start unleashing Storm's Blue, games tend to end pretty quickly.

I don't know how anyone can field a team of 3s. Asking you to concentrate on leveling a single team of 3s seems ridiculous since you can't control which covers you're going to get. I would love to get a cool character like FALCON or The Hood...(man, Falcon is the shiyat) and am really regretting selling my Black Panther. I just didn't have the space.

:/

Nothing really exciting in PvE or PvP right now, so I'm just going to aim for Standard Boosters x 3 for each bracket and work on getting completion rewards until the next event. I figure it'll give me more chances to upgrade my roster and keep my bracket lower so I can compete when there is a 2★ / 3★ I really want.

kswiston

You guys in Avengers are too hardcore for me;D I'm aiming for a spot in Men.

Looking at the 1★ → 3★ guide up on the forums, it's hard to believe that they recommend building *one* 2★ team and then moving on to 3★ teams. How can you possible choose / build a team that can handle everything?

I'm pretty sure I'm settling on C. Storm (5/1/2) and MN. Mags (1/1/5) with a 2★ Thor, but I'll take an Aries if I have to. The only thing I don't really like about this bombtastic team is that Storm doesn't play nicely with OBWillow.

Seems like the ↑ team takes a while to get going, but once you start unleashing Storm's Blue, games tend to end pretty quickly.

I don't know how anyone can field a team of 3s. Asking you to concentrate on leveling a single team of 3s seems ridiculous since you can't control which covers you're going to get. I would love to get a cool character like FALCON or The Hood...(man, Falcon is the shiyat) and am really regretting selling my Black Panther. I just didn't have the space.

:/

Nothing really exciting in PvE or PvP right now, so I'm just going to aim for Standard Boosters x 3 for each bracket and work on getting completion rewards until the next event. I figure it'll give me more chances to upgrade my roster and keep my bracket lower so I can compete when there is a 2★ / 3★ I really want.

If you max Mags' purple and Storm's Blue, you only need to make 2 purple matches to feed storm enough blues for her nuke, provided you use a 3+ blue/purple boost. Considering 95% of these PVP teams are using OBW or Storm along with Mags, Ares, or Thor, that's enough to kill Storm/OBW, kill whatever level 23 featured character is up, and freeze their tank. After that, just finish off the tank, keeping him as frozen as possible.

I use my OBW to heal magneto/storm in PVE.

KuroNeeko

If you max Mags' purple and Storm's Blue, you only need to make 2 purple matches to feed storm enough blues for her nuke, provided you use a 3+ blue/purple boost. Considering 95% of these PVP teams are using OBW or Storm along with Mags, Ares, or Thor, that's enough to kill Storm/OBW, kill whatever level 23 featured character is up, and freeze their tank. After that, just finish off the tank, keeping him as frozen as possible.

Awww, man! My dreams of being a special snowflake are shattered!

Maybe I'll switch to A. Wolverine instead. His red is shreddin' in PvE right now. @.@

Wish there was more character diversity in the 2★ bracket. :/

It's nearly impossible to completely abandon 2★ characters, so there's no way you can build a 2★ team then just seemlessly transition to 3★. Between featured event characters and the fact that OBW is borderline mandatory these days, I just don't see playing exclusively 3★ as a possibility. The best advice I can give is to keep everyone (except Bagman, Bullseye, and Yelana) especially 2-4★ characters and level the ones you will use most often, heroes that are tanky and/or have a lot of versatility. This would be heroes lik Thor, Wolverine, C Storm, OBW, Ares, MN Magneto and maybe Modern Hawkeye. The rest are highly situational at best.

I have a level 95 Punisher, but I very rarely use him over something like 85 2★ Thor or even 85 2★ Wolverine. I also have a 90 Hulk that falls into the same category. And my 80 Hood, and 75 IM40, and... you get the idea. They are important to have for featured events for both PvP and the extra required fights in PvE events. If I had to make a 2★ priority chart it would look something like this; OBW > Thor > C. Storm \ MN Magneto > Wolverine > Modern Hawkeye > Ares > anyone else. OBW + Thor is a perfect combo because it covers every color and offers AP Theft x2, a Heal, 2 Decent damage cascade-prone nukes, and a massive AoE nuke. Everthing else becomes situational, but C Storm + MN Magneto is a really solid combo.

EDIT: Also, people are going hard in Starfall. I was playing with 7.5 hours left earlier adn broke 700 just in time to get attacked between ever fight. I shielded at I believe 690 out of frustration and when I last checked was up around 730 in 28th place. I should be a lock for at least 1 Patch cover which is nice, hopefully the Alliance can pull through landing me 2 of them. I was also top 15 in both Normal and Hard for The Simulator nodes but barely in the top 50 for the overall event. Hopefully the required character is something more exciting than my Sentry who only has like 2 covers. Would be nice to see some Dr. Doom or The Hood love.

jred2k

Hey guys. Sorry for abandoning the alliance over the past week or so. I got pretty busy at work and was kind of blindsided by it or I would have given some warning. Hopefully I can make up for it with a strong performance in this PVE.

zulux21

Hey guys. Sorry for abandoning the alliance over the past week or so. I got pretty busy at work and was kind of blindsided by it or I would have given some warning. Hopefully I can make up for it with a strong performance in this PVE.

it happens.... so uh... who are you in the alliance I'm bad at keeping two names tracked to each other >.>
why don't more people just use the same name ><;

kswiston

I'm really happy with our Sentry finish. My Patch should only be a couple covers shy of being usable now. When I get my rewards, he'll be 3 red/2 green/3 yellow

zulux21

I'm really happy with our Sentry finish. My Patch should only be a couple covers shy of being usable now. When I get my rewards, he'll be 3 red/2 green/3 yellow

mine will actually be complete now at 5/3/5 but I like my alliance mates having some covers, plus I am well on my way to a heroic 10 pack now... not that I was ever worried about getting it... if I actually gave a crap 900+ points per pvp event wouldn't be hard >.> I just don't care enough to grind that much >.>:

I will actually do decently in the next match though, as black panther interests me and between the patch event and the sentry event I have a decent shot of getting at least 3 covers.

NomarTyme

Wow surprised that I got top ten. I stole it last second.

LMAO another event with covers I already have. This one time I have a Max Patch to have some sort of advantage but nope!

zulux21

Wow surprised that I got top ten. I stole it last second.

LMAO another event with covers I already have. This one time I have a Max Patch to have some sort of advantage but nope!

that's right... it's a patch event.... I get to actually decide my team in a pvp since I always use patch anyways >.>;
now that I don't care about yellow staying on the board I might just run patch, mags, thor (non lazy cause my lazy thor sucks :p)

hmmm the punisher and not sentry is required for the second round of the simulator.

Spoit

It's nearly impossible to completely abandon 2&#9733; characters, so there's no way you can build a 2&#9733; team then just seemlessly transition to 3&#9733;. Between featured event characters and the fact that OBW is borderline mandatory these days, I just don't see playing exclusively 3&#9733; as a possibility. The best advice I can give is to keep everyone (except Bagman, Bullseye, and Yelana) especially 2-4&#9733; characters and level the ones you will use most often, heroes that are tanky and/or have a lot of versatility. This would be heroes lik Thor, Wolverine, C Storm, OBW, Ares, MN Magneto and maybe Modern Hawkeye. The rest are highly situational at best.

I have a level 95 Punisher, but I very rarely use him over something like 85 2&#9733; Thor or even 85 2&#9733; Wolverine. I also have a 90 Hulk that falls into the same category. And my 80 Hood, and 75 IM40, and... you get the idea. They are important to have for featured events for both PvP and the extra required fights in PvE events. If I had to make a 2&#9733; priority chart it would look something like this; OBW > Thor > C. Storm \ MN Magneto > Wolverine > Modern Hawkeye > Ares > anyone else. OBW + Thor is a perfect combo because it covers every color and offers AP Theft x2, a Heal, 2 Decent damage cascade-prone nukes, and a massive AoE nuke. Everthing else becomes situational, but C Storm + MN Magneto is a really solid combo.

EDIT: Also, people are going hard in Starfall. I was playing with 7.5 hours left earlier adn broke 700 just in time to get attacked between ever fight. I shielded at I believe 690 out of frustration and when I last checked was up around 730 in 28th place. I should be a lock for at least 1 Patch cover which is nice, hopefully the Alliance can pull through landing me 2 of them. I was also top 15 in both Normal and Hard for The Simulator nodes but barely in the top 50 for the overall event. Hopefully the required character is something more exciting than my Sentry who only has like 2 covers. Would be nice to see some Dr. Doom or The Hood love.

With the exception of OBW, I almost never use 2*s, and don't regret selling thor and A Wolv at all. I probably use M Storm, and hell, even M widow more than I use my 2*s

zulux21

With the exception of OBW, I almost never use 2*s, and don't regret selling thor and A Wolv at all. I probably use M Storm, and hell, even M widow more than I use my 2*s

I still use OBW (heals), Thor (combo with storm on oasis and maybe forest as a B team to my main team), Ares (when he is boosted and patch isn't available), and Captain (countdown tile control) from time to time, obviously if I ever get enough covers for lazy thor and lazy cap though the 2 stars will be retired...

my two most common non 3 stars used though
OBW and 1 star storm (I think I use one star storm more than OBW) 1 star storm's red move is just super awesome and can be really helpful to get patch and mags to work well without event tiles getting in the way.

KuroNeeko

Wow, lots of noob-focused friendly advice! Thanks!

I placed pretty much how I thought I would. My standard packs gave me a Bagman and a 3&#9733; Spider Man (Blue) for my troubles. I also have somehow managed to get 4 covers for M. Hawkeye...guess I'll hold on to him for now.

Next PvE reward is Punisher! :D

I'm not sure what the optimal Punisher build would be. I would imagine 5 Black\5 Red\3 Green but I don't know how well his Green move scales. Mine's currently at I think 5\4\2 or something like that.

KuroNeeko

What's with the crazy-low PvE points for the Simulator now...is it because the number of people who have completed them is still low? The lack of rubber banding at the start of the event? @.@;

Why though? It does almost no damage and the strike tile doesn't seem to be crazy strong. I've been taking out 141 Punishers fairly easily. Only power that gives me trouble are the Molotovs.

Yea I can't really see it being overwhelmingly good unless he's boosted like he is now, but even then Wolverine's strike tiles seem more reliable and effective.

Spoit

Yea I can't really see it being overwhelmingly good unless he's boosted like he is now, but even then Wolverine's strike tiles seem more reliable and effective.

Maybe if your wolvie is patch, which means you're taking a lot of damage if you don't have a Cmags charged up. Whereas punisher is weaker, but a lot safer. And he brings additional utility with a red with a reasonable cost, and one of the better blacks in the game

Punisher does 3x104 (or 39/AP), which are random colors and thus unlikely to be matched.

A. Wolvie only has 40 damage strikes, or a bit less than 2/5 the strength, for only 2 AP less.

And if for godforsaken reason you're actually using x-force. At max level he only makes 15 strength tiles! and only on the X-shape. Bar none the worse strike tile move in the game

Daken is probably better, at 2x57 for nothing, but that's ALL HE DOES. and even then you need 3 matches to have more strike tile damage than 1 cast of punisher

(But seriously patch is the best at what he does, and what he does is strike tiles)

Spoit

I mean, a 3-match from a 141 on their strongest color is 201. The strike tiles are half again as much damage.

And more importantly, is added on every turn when you get the attack tile from the molotovs out

KuroNeeko

Hey GAF-Kanda, I applied for membership today seeing as how you have 4 empty slots!

If you think I'd be a good fit, and you're not TOO hardcore, how about we try to help each other out? ;D

I'm sitting at 32940 points in the Simulator (PvE) right now and 1663 points in Season 2 (PvP). Full disclosure, I usually only reach about 300 - 400 points in the 2 day PvP events and only rank in enough to get the 2&#9733; cover. :/

My game name is DirtyCat (see avatar.)

If you can't let me in now, then that's no problem.;D I'll try again in the future when I'm a bit stronger.

Dispatch

My Patch is only level 41, so I'll do what I can in this PVP event. Also, I teach, so I can't play as much during the week.

turnbuckle

So tempted to quit this game. In the last 48 hours I've spent several hours playing different events and won several heroic and other covers. Also been buying the discounted covers each day. My last 20 or so pulls have all been 2-star characters. Hours and hours and HP wasted.

So tempted to quit this game. In the last 48 hours I've spent several hours playing different events and won several heroic and other covers. Also been buying the discounted covers each day. My last 20 or so pulls have all been 2-star characters. Hours and hours and HP wasted.

Oh turnbuckle. Spending HP on cover packs can only ever break your heart.

animus82

Banned

Your strategy is sound overall but I would advocate to not use the boost.

Guys, try not to use too many boosts because it really saps your ISO that you could use towards leveling up your squad.

Got my 10-Pack, and Holy Shit.

-Punisher (Red and Black)
-X-Force Wolverine (Yellow)
-L. Thor (Red)
-Spiderman (Pink)
-The Hood (Blue)

I think I should go play the lottery today.

Oh turnbuckle. Spending HP on cover packs can only ever break your heart.

Yea I gave up on that weeks ago. I would probably have like 40 roster slots had I not wasted HP on Heroic tokens back in the day.

Got my 10-Pack, and Holy Shit.

-Punisher (Red and Black)
-X-Force Wolverine (Yellow)
-L. Thor (Red)
-Spiderman (Pink)
-The Hood (Blue)

I think I should go play the lottery today.

I can't wait for 10 Bagman tokens from mine. Gonna be hot.

zulux21

I can't wait for 10 Bagman tokens from mine. Gonna be hot.

I would say that... but that's not how mine will go down... I can see mine already
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red

:/ I swear I have gotten 50% captain america red from my heroic tokens... good thing I have gotten so many tokens that I don't have any two stars to work on.

I would say that... but that's not how mine will go down... I can see mine already
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red

:/ I swear I have gotten 50% captain america red from my heroic tokens... good thing I have gotten so many tokens that I don't have any two stars to work on.

Captain America Red
Captain America Yellow
Captain America Red
Captain America Red
Captain America Yellow
Captain America Red
Captain America Red
Captain America Blue
Captain America Red
Bagman

Calling it now.

KuroNeeko

Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red
Captain america Red

Better than me, mayne. I was getting Bullseye / Hawkeye.

I don't know how long you've been playing and this is probably something you already know but, I'd advise playing in moderation. It's so easy to get caught up in the "gotta get more!!" hype that you just grind and grind and grind for "just one more". Social games in general are engineered to take advantage of this - to get you to push on to that next bracket; to spend ANYTHING (fact: it's much harder to get a F2Player to spend his first dollar than a P2Player to buy more) to get you paying. If you enjoy Puzzle Quest, just play it at your own pace and set moderate, reasonable goals.

In my case, my only goal for PvP is to get 300 points for the Hero Token, and then either get some Standard Tokens or the 2&#9733; cover if I need it. Doing so let's me keep my bracket low (for the time I want that 50+ reward) and I can still make progress with not much time invested. That's the pitfall of PvP-centric games like these. The more time you put into it, the less gain you get because your competition is dynamically being adjusted to your effort. Soon, you will be in brackets where the only way to advance to is to pay. I hate PvP-centric games where rewards are based on rank. lol As a result, I focus on PvE rewards. Build up slowly. Take your time. You don't need to spend anything on the game (though I did spend about $5 to increase my roster size.)

Put too much time in and you'll just burn out, not to mention the negative impact it will have on your real life.

lmpaler

Fianlly got my Grey Mags and Modern Thor to 85, but I really need to raise OBW so she is my primary focus now. In any event I could demolish teams with Thor and Mags except with OBW, sigh.

Thinking of rolling A Wolv and OBW when both hit 85 for events as a main team until I get a solid 3 star team. Thoughts?

NomarTyme

Fianlly got my Grey Mags and Modern Thor to 85, but I really need to raise OBW so she is my primary focus now. In any event I could demolish teams with Thor and Mags except with OBW, sigh.

Thinking of rolling A Wolv and OBW when both hit 85 for events as a main team until I get a solid 3 star team. Thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Also another really popular duo is Grey Mags and Classic Storm.

Also we have one spot open it seems so if anybody is a daily player can join.

Askani

Awww! My Heroic 10-pack blows goats!
Thor (yellow)
Punisher (green)
OBW (purple)
A.Wolverine (red)
Thor (green)
Moonstone (purple)
Daken (black)
Moonstone (red)
Bagman (blue)
C.Storm (green)​
Not one usable cover. :/

KuroNeeko

Awww! My Heroic 10-pack blows goats!
Thor (yellow)
Punisher (green)
OBW (purple)
A.Wolverine (red)
Thor (green)

Moonstone (purple)
Daken (black)
Moonstone (red)
Bagman (blue)
C.Storm (green)
Not one usable cover. :/

Man, I can use all of these. ;.;

turnbuckle

Better than me, mayne. I was getting Bullseye / Hawkeye.

I don't know how long you've been playing and this is probably something you already know but, I'd advise playing in moderation. It's so easy to get caught up in the "gotta get more!!" hype that you just grind and grind and grind for "just one more". Social games in general are engineered to take advantage of this - to get you to push on to that next bracket; to spend ANYTHING (fact: it's much harder to get a F2Player to spend his first dollar than a P2Player to buy more) to get you paying. If you enjoy Puzzle Quest, just play it at your own pace and set moderate, reasonable goals.

In my case, my only goal for PvP is to get 300 points for the Hero Token, and then either get some Standard Tokens or the 2&#9733; cover if I need it. Doing so let's me keep my bracket low (for the time I want that 50+ reward) and I can still make progress with not much time invested. That's the pitfall of PvP-centric games like these. The more time you put into it, the less gain you get because your competition is dynamically being adjusted to your effort. Soon, you will be in brackets where the only way to advance to is to pay. I hate PvP-centric games where rewards are based on rank. lol As a result, I focus on PvE rewards. Build up slowly. Take your time. You don't need to spend anything on the game (though I did spend about $5 to increase my roster size.)

Put too much time in and you'll just burn out, not to mention the negative impact it will have on your real life.

Yeah, everything you said is true.

I've spent over $200 on this game...alliance slots and roster spots don't come cheap. wtf...that's half the price of a monitor I want to buy but have ruled against purchasing because it's hard to justify it. $200 over...nothing. This is why I quit Magic the Gathering, though that was a lot more fun and diverse and...expensive

zulux21

I wish I could have made a last minute push. When events end mid-day, it's tough for me.

it's hit or miss for me, and almost always bad for my wife. I couldn't do this one at all... my simulator in general is shot now, but the alliance is in decent shape in general so I will likely just take my iso and focus on patch. unfortunately patch is at a bad time for my wife, but I might hop on her account after I shield mine if we are in the running for anything.

Top Bottom