• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

OBW makes this game not fun. That character singlehandedly breaks the game. Break is the appropriate word to use as well, and not hyperbole.

On the bright side, I managed to nab 3 X-Force covers in the past two days. One via a daily reward, one via Starfall token and one via a PvE token.

I have to agree. It's to the point where I literally use her in every situation. She's been boosted the past 2 PvE events so I use her there, and is required for anything resembling sustainability in PvP. It's stupid, and I'm sick of fighting *Featured*\OBW\Thor and *Featured*\OBW\Ares. I didn't even give a shit about Starfall if anyone noticed. I am a bit more compelled for the Magneto event but fighting dozens of battles up to 700+ points where I'm fighting the same 2-3 team comps is silly. We need another character with a heal to make OBW less prevalent, or at least nerf her a bit--I honestly think they should seriously consider changing how either Recon or Espionage work, because she can single handedly win against like 3+ heroes with the skillset she has.

I'm hoping the buff X-Force one of these days. I have maxed out Green and 1-2 of the other covers but stopped dumping ISO on him because Astonishing is pretty much better in every way. His heal is just so bad that I can't justify using him (not sure how it does at 5 yellow but I doubt it's drastically better).

zulux21

I have to agree. It's to the point where I literally use her in every situation. She's been boosted the past 2 PvE events so I use her there, and is required for anything resembling sustainability in PvP. It's stupid, and I'm sick of fighting *Featured*\OBW\Thor and *Featured*\OBW\Ares. I didn't even give a shit about Starfall if anyone noticed. I am a bit more compelled for the Magneto event but fighting dozens of battles up to 700+ points where I'm fighting the same 2-3 team comps is silly. We need another character with a heal to make OBW less prevalent, or at least nerf her a bit--I honestly think they should seriously consider changing how either Recon or Espionage work, because she can single handedly win against like 3+ heroes with the skillset she has.

I'm hoping the buff X-Force one of these days. I have maxed out Green and 1-2 of the other covers but stopped dumping ISO on him because Astonishing is pretty much better in every way. His heal is just so bad that I can't justify using him (not sure how it does at 5 yellow but I doubt it's drastically better).

We won't get another hero with healing....
don't worry though both widow and spiderman are going to change and have their heals removed as well.
they already basically confirmed they are removing healing from the game in general. It's in testing right now and progressing well and will likely be removed sometime this year.

don't worry though both widow and spiderman are going to change and have their heals removed as well.
they already basically confirmed they are removing healing from the game in general. It's in testing right now and progressing well and will likely be removed sometime this year.

I'm okay with that actually. Yea, it sucks, but it definitely means no more spending 2 straight hours grinding away at the game to remain competitive. It also means long time players with expansive rosters will have an advantage--more high level characters to burn through.

Dispatch

I'm okay with that actually. Yea, it sucks, but it definitely means no more spending 2 straight hours grinding away at the game to remain competitive. It also means long time players with expansive rosters will have an advantage--more high level characters to burn through.

Yes, I agree. I wonder what mechanic they will use to replace healing.

Agh!

This whole mentality doesn't help with my frustration with the game. Instead of seeing a strong character and thinking "We should probably buff some of the others to match/counter this" they just make the good characters suck to match all the others. Spidey and Rags were strong? They should be, they're three star characters and very hard to come by. They're supposed to be strong and not constantly getting their ass kicked by 2* rosters.

And yeah, the healing mechanic is awful only used to suck money/time from people, so of course everyone is gonna keep widow around. Getting rid of the rare healing we have isn't going to make everyone happy, if anything it'll turn more people off. I'm not a fan of how necessary she is, but this isn't how the situation will be fixed.

Spoit

so yeah, DON'T PATCH TO v55!!!!!!!!!

It increases the scaling on PvE significantly, go as much as doubling it for some people

Sadist

Woot, blue original Spider-Man. That makes 4/4/4.

A lof of *** characters pulled for the past two weeks. Loki, Magneto, two Human Torches and now Spidey. Plus Wolverine X-Force, Sentry x 2 and Hulk as rewards.

zulux21

Agh!

Spidey and Rags were strong? They should be, they're three star characters and very hard to come by.

They weren't strong, they were completely broken. Being a strong character (see Patch) isn't a bad thing, but being able to completely dominate a match in after two turns is well beyond strong. Rags could spam you to death by fueling his own moves with ease, and spidy could stun lock you without much problem. Both did in fact need nerfs (so does mags to a lesser extent) The issue is they went to far. They should have left them as some of the strongest characters (in both cases you could have fixed them well enough by moving their two costing move up to 4 or 5 so that it was still very solid, but not easy to spam for ever and ever), and in Rags case they should have given him a third move as they nerfed him, but they didn't, they instead took them from the most powerful characters to some of the worst.... which isn't a good way to go about things.

They weren't strong, they were completely broken. Being a strong character (see Patch) isn't a bad thing, but being able to completely dominate a match in after two turns is well beyond strong. Rags could spam you to death by fueling his own moves with ease, and spidy could stun lock you without much problem. Both did in fact need nerfs (so does mags to a lesser extent) The issue is they went to far. They should have left them as some of the strongest characters (in both cases you could have fixed them well enough by moving their two costing move up to 4 or 5 so that it was still very solid, but not easy to spam for ever and ever), and in Rags case they should have given him a third move as they nerfed him, but they didn't, they instead took them from the most powerful characters to some of the worst.... which isn't a good way to go about things.

Yea Rag was literally broken. I think his Red only cost like 5 AP with 5 covers and his Green was something dumb like 2 AP and did like 5 times as much damage. It was silly. If someone had a maxed Rag they could not lose. Spider-man was at least saved by being weirdly hard to acquire, but if you dumped the money and got max covers he was silly. 2 AP for a 1-4 turn stun? A heal that did 800-4000 or something like that to the entire team? Yea, he was pretty ridiculous.

I think there should be 0 3* characters with only 2 moves, and they should consider removing healing. Before OBW was around it was only Spider-man and nobody had him so his heal was irrelevant. Now, everyone has a max OBW and a lot of people have acceptable Spider-man's, so heals are aplenty. Back when I first started you had to pick and choose your fights a lot more, it wasn't just stomp through fight after fight until you got bored, it required calculated moves and people who were better at assessing risks were the ones that placed top 10 in events. Yea, it meant not being able to play for 2-4 hours straight, but is that really a bad thing?

turnbuckle

Don't like getting rid of healing. Just creates further separation between people willing to spend like whales and people who don't.

zulux21

Yea, it meant not being able to play for 2-4 hours straight, but is that really a bad thing?

In a system where everyone is on equal ground and equally limited, no it's not a bad thing.
In a system where you can pay money to continue playing and then get a huge huge HUGE advantage over those who don't pay thus making the game pretty much pay to win... yeah... that is a bad thing a REALLY BAD THING. It would result in people who are willing to buy health packs as being the only people who can place well unless you have extreme luck and don't take much damage over many matches.

Don't like getting rid of healing. Just creates further separation between people willing to spend like whales and people who don't.

it really depends on how they do it. If they do it the way I want it done (no heal timer, just you are either alive or dead at the end of a battle, if dead you have to wait a really long time to respawn or use a token)

vs just removing it in general...

there is also a chance they won't remove it, but instead make it temp healing... basically the game would track your min HP in a battle and that would be what you have after the battle regardless of healing in the battle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My 10-Pack contents:

3* IM40 Blue
3* Daredevil Blue
2* Ares Yellow
2* Hawkeye Purple
2* MN Mags Purple
2* Thor Yellow
2* Bullseye Purple
2* Bullseye Black
2* Wolverine Red
2* Bullseye Black

Started out good, most of it completely shit. Not even mad though, I got like 3 X-Force covers in the past few days and it's been raining Hood covers for weeks.

turnbuckle

In a system where everyone is on equal ground and equally limited, no it's not a bad thing.
In a system where you can pay money to continue playing and then get a huge huge HUGE advantage over those who don't pay thus making the game pretty much pay to win... yeah... that is a bad thing a REALLY BAD THING. It would result in people who are willing to buy health packs as being the only people who can place well unless you have extreme luck and don't take much damage over many matches.

it really depends on how they do it. If they do it the way I want it done (no heal timer, just you are either alive or dead at the end of a battle, if dead you have to wait a really long time to respawn or use a token)

vs just removing it in general...

there is also a chance they won't remove it, but instead make it temp healing... basically the game would track your min HP in a battle and that would be what you have after the battle regardless of healing in the battle.

Auto healing exacerbates the problem imo. Also, sentry maxed out with auto heal would be legendary.

Dispatch

Really, getting new characters is about all I care about at this point. As someone posted in the chat, the game is starting to feel like a second job. That's no good.

As for healing being removed, I could see that being a positive for me. Psychologically, I would understand I just didn't have the team to compete, so I would understand losing. I made a choice to be non-IAP in this game, so I'd have to live with it. I agree that it shouldn't be pay-to-win, though.

Really, getting new characters is about all I care about at this point. As someone posted in the chat, the game is starting to feel like a second job. That's no good.

As for healing being removed, I could see that being a positive for me. Psychologically, I would understand I just didn't have the team to compete, so I would understand losing. I made a choice to be non-IAP in this game, so I'd have to live with it. I agree that it shouldn't be pay-to-win, though.

Personally, I think this game suffers from being Free to Play. It's not as bad as most of them but I would easily pay 10$ for a real version of this game. Without all the IAP trappings. As it stands, I don't want to buy anything in the game because I know how little it'll get me. And I've never been the type to think "Well, I've put -blank- hours into the game, maybe I should throw them a couple bucks".

And I think I've turned around on the healing thing. If it's taken out it'll force me to put the game down when my characters are out. So it can't be this massive time sink. The brackets will go down, and you're less likely to get attacked and beaten in the attacks. And I can finally ditch OBW for better characters! Could be good.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm just about done with this game.

GAF-Kanda is pretty dead... seems like half the member didn't even try on the last few events.

The cover drop rates for covers I still need for my 3* are fucking atrocious. It's just pointless. Toss me a fucking bone once in a freaking while to keep me feeling like I'm progressing... but without a strong alliance to get a guarantee good cover the RNG is fucking terrible.

I've got a heroic token from each of these damn Season 2 events and gotten nothing but shit 2*... well no wonder.. look at the drop rates... it's crap.

..and oh.. want to buy a cover? Yeah.. over 1000HP for one.. get out of here.

It's a fun game.. but they've done a terrible job balancing the whales against the casuals against the hardcore players who have dumped just enough cash into it, but aren't spending $1,000's on it.

zulux21

GAF-Kanda is pretty dead... seems like half the member didn't even try on the last few events.

The cover drop rates for covers I still need for my 3* are fucking atrocious. It's just pointless. Toss me a fucking bone once in a freaking while to keep me feeling like I'm progressing... but without a strong alliance to get a guarantee good cover the RNG is fucking terrible.

I've got a heroic token from each of these damn Season 2 events and gotten nothing but shit 2*... well no wonder.. look at the drop rates... it's crap.

..and oh.. want to buy a cover? Yeah.. over 1000HP for one.. get out of here.

It's a fun game.. but they've done a terrible job balancing the whales against the casuals against the hardcore players who have dumped just enough cash into it, but aren't spending $1,000's on it.

to be fair at least one of the members (harukano) is just an alt account coasting to collect some HP to buy another slot for gaf kanda.

Hm. I guess I don't quite understand what's status quo about healing in Prologue. I haven't played it in like decades, but does it do something different than PVE and PVP?

I don't get it either... there is almost always a PVE event going on, and almost always an easy node that you could play to recover in if you really needed to instead of wasting time in the prologue.... thus I really can't see getting rid of prologue healing as something that would cause a hulk smash outrage, more of a GOD DAMN YOU outrage.

To be fair I rarely have to heal in an event beyond my 5 health tokens so it wouldn't be a big deal either way to me at this point.... but with PVE being unplayable for me anymore, it really seems like the game will just become one match a day for the daily, and playing in the PVP that gives rewards I want for a few hours near the end, and other PVP until I hit 300 points and mostly skip PVE.

to be fair at least one of the members (harukano) is just an alt account coasting to collect some HP to buy another slot for gaf kanda.

I don't get it either... there is almost always a PVE event going on, and almost always an easy node that you could play to recover in if you really needed to instead of wasting time in the prologue.... thus I really can't see getting rid of prologue healing as something that would cause a hulk smash outrage, more of a GOD DAMN YOU outrage.

To be fair I rarely have to heal in an event beyond my 5 health tokens so it wouldn't be a big deal either way to me at this point.... but with PVE being unplayable for me anymore, it really seems like the game will just become one match a day for the daily, and playing in the PVP that gives rewards I want for a few hours near the end, and other PVP until I hit 300 points and mostly skip PVE.

OHHHHH so they're talking about that exploit where you play a few rounds with Spider-Man and have him heal you.

that has been gone for months... they altered the colors of spidy in the prologue a few months back so he doesn't even have a heal move anymore.

Hm. So I guess basically making it impossible to use Prologue as a Safe Space where you can just fight weak dudes with OBW and use it as a free healing station.

cobell

Not sure about others, I just recently swapped to kanada from vengers. I'm just burned out on the game. I can leave and make room if you guys want, but I'm sure I'll be back. I've burned out earlier when the game was in beta.

I try to play one round every night, but the past few events just went on too long. It's a shame really as I want mohawk Storm., but I just can't motivate myself.

Not sure about others, I just recently swapped to kanada from vengers. I'm just burned out on the game. I can leave and make room if you guys want, but I'm sure I'll be back. I've burned out earlier when the game was in beta.

I try to play one round every night, but the past few events just went on too long. It's a shame really as I want mohawk Storm., but I just can't motivate myself.

We should just merge the two at this point with anyone who's even playing. Vengers is a desert right now. Like 7 people didn't even do the last PVP.

BJK

I also burned out on the game; GAF-kanda can boot Freemium if they need more active players.

The notion of the endless grind...since there'll always be a new character (or a new set of covers that's slightly better than the existing ones). I'm quitting the new Marvel tactics FB game (and going on a bit of a hiatus from Avengers Alliance on FB) for the same reason. Too many grind-y experiences at the same time will straight-up burn you out.

Dispatch

A couple weeks ago I would never have predicted I would feel so burnt out for this game, and see so many others feel the same way. This last PVE and the current Season II seemed to be a real miscalculation by the development team. It was too much work with too little reward.

A couple weeks ago I would never have predicted I would feel so burnt out for this game, and see so many others feel the same way. This last PVE and the current Season II seemed to be a real miscalculation by the development team. It was too much work with too little reward.

Yep. I haven't had a gold pull in my last 20+ ** tokens.I'm sick of grinding for two weeks only to get a single cover that I can't practically use. I have around ten *** characters with 7+ covers but even then they pale to my maxed ** roster. At this rate I won't get 100+ ***s for months.

Definite burn out.

kswiston

You were also able to have a life and still place in the top 100-200 in PVE events before the last one or two. I work 10-12 hour days Monday to Friday. I don't have time for 2 hour refreshes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yup.

How does:
Making brackets larger
Not adjusting reward brackets to account for greater player base
Increasing the frequency of events and putting greater weight on each one to not get further fucked in a season ranking
Making 3*s required for most of the userbase that does not have 3*s yet, and thus pretty much benefitting the top 5%
Requiring you to do well/place in one event because if you don't your fucked for the next one which requires the hero (domino effect)

Make the game more enjoyable? There was a definite moment where the game took a turn for the worse and it's when those changes were implemented. The same time when I could comfortably gun for top 50 without being absolutely obliterated by 141 teams. And like that, it all changed.

Are people complaining about this on the official forums too? I mean, the game is fucked now. I'm losing motivation to play, the new bracketing is the worst change of all.

Spoit

A couple weeks ago? People were feeling burnt out in season 1. BEFORE it was extended

I think the 2nd season came too quick without a real set of roster additions. Also, making the reward set basically the same burned me out. I didn't even use my first 10 token ticket from S1 before I saw the reward list from S2.
Also, STOP GIVING SO MANY 1* characters at the lower tier. I think even giving just the standard recruit with the chance of getting a 3-4 star would make it more bearable. There has to be some kind of reward adjustment on that end at this point.

Also, STOP GIVING SO MANY 1* characters at the lower tier. I think even giving just the standard recruit with the chance of getting a 3-4 star would make it more bearable. There has to be some kind of reward adjustment on that end at this point.

This is so true. It has been months since I needed any * or ** cards, and I barely have any usable ***s.

komarkaze

Yes, they definitely need to increase the percentage of 3* cover drops. I have so many unusable 3* characters lacking covers and most of my 2* characters are maxed out. During the last 10 pack, I only got one 3* cover and it was for Psylocke. It's demoralizing to work through so many PVP to earn a special Heroic token, only to redeem it for my 100th Modern Hawkeye or C. Storm. And I've never had a 4* drop.

Dispatch

This is so true. It has been months since I needed any * or ** cards, and I barely have any usable ***s.

It would be nice to be able to trade in 1 and 2 star cards to gain 3 star cards, but I know D3 would never do this because it eliminates one of the reasons to spend money on the game. It's a problem with the freemium model. The game is, at least in part, built around ways to earn money.

As most of us so, I wish we had an option just to pay a certain amount of money to unlock a paid version, but that ship may have sailed.

Fjord

What they really need to do is have a choice of rewards. For example, place top 200 and take your pick of one cover from the three powered up 3*s in that event.

It would also solve the problem of the mammoth gap between 2* and 3* rosters. Right now I have 106 3* covers, just counted. Yet all I don't have a single useable character, at least nothing better than a 2* without a significant powerup. In a couple months all my 3*s will come online at once. I probably still won't really have any choice about running my favourite playstyle or character. It would be nice to be able to grab The Hood every time I saw him as a reward choice and build him up as my guy.

PS Anyone 4k+ for this seasons PvP apply to GAFvengers and I'll invite you. Can't promise you tenure if you are consistently near the bottom though :)

Dispatch

On a side note, I do enjoy finding a new combo that works pretty well. Unfortunately, it's Captain American and OBW. At least it's new. :|

kswiston

Getting rid of the required hero in all these PVE events would be a good first step. How does it make sense to lock 30-50% of the points (and the only reasonably scaled battles) behind a cover that was added in the previous event and only available to the top 7.5-10% of each bracket? Compound this by the fact that the people who actually play this game long term (and are therefore likely to actually spend money) are now getting screwed over by being grouped together with people who play 10 hours a day, while brand new players who don't even need 3* covers get easy rewards as part of the shit tier.

If you are going to be stingy with the rewards that people need to move past mid-game, at least open the brackets completely up like they did in the Hulk event. Give me a global top 7000-8000 to aim for rather than some rigged bracket of 1000 payers.

You were also able to have a life and still place in the top 100-200 in PVE events before the last one or two. I work 10-12 hour days Monday to Friday. I don't have time for 2 hour refreshes.

I remember a time where you could basically play the last half hour of an event and that was all that mattered. Granted that was back before they had any 3* characters other than IM40. It does feel way too time-intensive. I actually switched to MPQ from other games because it became too much of a grind, now MPQ is just as bad.

A couple weeks ago? People were feeling burnt out in season 1. BEFORE it was extended

Some were, but a lot of people vanished a few weeks into Season 2. It was a noticable shift because I went from top-10 of Vengers in every event to the single highest contributor on just about all fronts, and with the number of Lazy Characters and bullshit brackets don't really think that will last much longer.

Yes, they definitely need to increase the percentage of 3* cover drops. I have so many unusable 3* characters lacking covers and most of my 2* characters are maxed out.

Pretty sure in the 2 10-Heroic Packs I've gotten I got a total of 1 X-Force Wolverine (which is a worthless hero and it was Green which they always give out) and a single Steve Rodgers. 3* Heroes are basically worthless because until you get them maxed they won't actually be better than the 2* alternatives. I maintain that Steve Rodgers is probably much better than Modern CA, but I stopped getting covers for him until I lucked out and got one recently so he's been sitting there idle. With how many 3* characters there are now you get one debatably usable cover every so often, and you're stuck waiting to get those characters to level 100+ before they actually become more useful than the cookie cutter 2* lineups you can use.

Also, not related to anyones post, but I have to bitch about the fact that in the last PVE event I was like 10k points ahead of everyone in Vengers with 6 hours to go, and was still not even in top 150 in my bracket. I couldn't find time to play and missed Lazy Storm, which I honestly don't care much about but it was still a horrible event all around. That one might be the worst I've seen...

zulux21

yup, with vengers falling apart, and their continuation to try to make people have to play more in order to get good results, I am actually playing less and less... I don't care anymore about PVE, and PVP I only care about events that give me covers I really want now that I have my 10 pack... I figure I will get around 6k a season and that will be that.... just very casual play with the few things that still exist that aren't complete screwed at this point.

though I fully expect either the 10 pack to become more like 3 tokens, or for it to be moved up to like 10k points for next season.

Fjord

Ah Vengers is still good. I've come to terms with the fact that if you want to be a top 100 alliance you need everyone playing 3+ hours per day. I think that's not what most of us want. Instead lets just chill out keep it up at 20 members and the alliance will be a constant source of HP and ISO.

Dispatch

Ah Vengers is still good. I've come to terms with the fact that if you want to be a top 100 alliance you need everyone playing 3+ hours per day. I think that's not what most of us want. Instead lets just chill out keep it up at 20 members and the alliance will be a constant source of HP and ISO.

I agree. It's nice to get HP and ISO without feeling too much pressure.

I agree with that, man. Have we got 20 again yet?

shaowebb

I agree with that, man. Have we got 20 again yet?

If not I have some points for now I can toss your way. Got the job so I still wouldn't say I'm fit to be back permanent. Got a lot of moving and shit to do now so I will stay busy. Still I got a few points if you want em...been trying to level my Torch off this event. Pairing him with Thor and Gray suit Widow has been devastating lately. So much fucking green.Thor/Daken/Torch is also pretty sinister.

Top Bottom