• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

kswiston

Your strategy is sound overall but I would advocate to not use the boost.

Guys, try not to use too many boosts because it really saps your ISO that you could use towards leveling up your squad.

The boost is often the difference between barely being hit and having to use health packs every other fight. It's easy to get your nuke off before the enemy hasn't had a chance to do anything but match a few gems if you only have to make 2 matches of purple or 3 of blue. Not so much when it is 3/4 matches. Especially since I seem to get 80% OBW fights now.

As for ISO, I seem to get 30-50k a week, which is good enough for me right now. I am more limited by covers for the 3-star characters

KuroNeeko

After drawing a cover from a standard pack, I'm feeling the itch for some Black Panther (even after I sold one cover last week.)

Any advice for when to start pushing for the PvP-based, top-50 reward? I'm sitting at about 77th right now... <.<

zulux21

After drawing a cover from a standard pack, I'm feeling the itch for some Black Panther (even after I sold one cover last week.)

Any advice for when to start pushing for the PvP-based, top-50 reward? I'm sitting at about 77th right now... <.<

start pushing around 4 hours before the event is going to end, at 3 hours if you are in a spot you like shield for 3 hours and call it good, maybe come back for one last match around 4-5 min to go if it makes a big difference.
If by 2 hours left to go if you don't have the spot you want you likely won't get it and should either shield or be ready to just grind for the next two hours to hold your spot or fall a bit.

KuroNeeko

start pushing around 4 hours before the event is going to end, at 3 hours if you are in a spot you like shield for 3 hours and call it good, maybe come back for one last match around 4-5 min to go if it makes a big difference.
If by 2 hours left to go if you don't have the spot you want you likely won't get it and should either shield or be ready to just grind for the next two hours to hold your spot or fall a bit.

Sounds good, mayne!

Four hours before the event ends.....I'm gonna be playing in the shower with my son! @.@;;;

Duane left because he was not going to have time to devote to the game. It sounds like he'll be back at some point, though.

The time commitment is starting to kill it for me too. I have a pretty strong team now but I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. It's all starting to just blend together, and none of it seems very fun anymore. I think I'm in the top 3 for the season though, so maybe it's my fault and should ease back.

zulux21

The time commitment is starting to kill it for me too. I have a pretty strong team now but I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. It's all starting to just blend together, and none of it seems very fun anymore. I think I'm in the top 3 for the season though, so maybe it's my fault and should ease back.

yeah I have eased back if you can't tell.... I do most of my playing anymore while watching the chicago white sox play baseball :p

KuroNeeko

No sense in burning out if you enjoy the game.

Top 3 for the season - dayum, dood!

It's not a very player-friendly model. I just play it when I'm waiting for stamina in Tower of Saviors. I think they need more units, more team diversity, and a more forgiving bracketing system. The grim reality is that whales will keep playing and paying regardless of whether or not you quit. There really isn't much incentive for them to change unless their bottom line is threatened.

Having said all that, playing the game non-competitively is pretty fun (at least for me.) I imagine if you keep playing the same matches over and over again, it'd get pretty stale. I've sunk about $5 in the game for three extra slots. Even if I quit tomorrow, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Everything in moderation, I guess.

zulux21

if anyone in here applies to gafvengers in the next 20 min I will add them period (and you will at least get this events rewards) whether they will add anything to the score or not as I would rather someone gets the 20th slot's rewards instead of no one getting it... if you add points we could maybe have a top 100

nope no one wanted in... oh well at least I added 800 points this morning between mine and my wife's account and took two of the top 5 spots playing two accounts at once :p

Askani

Does anyone else find it weird that you can kill Human Torch with a Molotov Cocktail?

I mean, it's a bottle of fire. HT is made of fire. When he gets hit by it, it's basically him just getting hit by an empty bottle.

Glass shards ain't no joke I guess. Just a little something that amuses me every time it happens.

turnbuckle

Welp, my buddy quit and Turnbuckle took leave. Vengers still open? I play daily

We started another alliance and have 20 slots. I can't play every single day but a lot of who's there do and we're looking for more that can contribute. That other alliance I had was just filled with commanders who would only contribute 200-400 points (and frequently 0) to a lot of events and we couldn't ax em so we started over.

Shaolin Marvel, if interested. But Gafvengers will likely be more productive

lmpaler

We started another alliance and have 20 slots. I can't play every single day but a lot of who's there do and we're looking for more that can contribute. That other alliance I had was just filled with commanders who would only contribute 200-400 points (and frequently 0) to a lot of events and we couldn't ax em so we started over.

Shaolin Marvel, if interested. But Gafvengers will likely be more productive

I shall apply sir

KuroNeeko

Checking out the rewards for the new PvE event. I was pretty interested in some hot, Stawk action. Let's just check what they're offering in the 2&#9733; bracket...

Hmm, OB. Widow.....black?

SwACfPA_zps4334137e.gif

Storm who?

I followed your advice and it work out perfectly! I had to use the 8-hour shield though as people started laying into me right around the 3:30 mark.

Came in 17th, got the cover, and 150 HP to make up for the shield. Thanks for the advice!

I DECLAER her nick name to be Stawk.

The Storm is Coming.

zulux21

I followed your advice and it work out perfectly! I had to use the 8-hour shield though as people started laying into me right around the 3:30 mark.

Came in 17th, got the cover, and 150 HP to make up for the shield. Thanks for the advice!

if you have the HP and don't mind spending it on an 8 hour shield you can also start earlier... the main reason I do 4 is to save the 75hp... and it's rare that I am free 9 hours before an event but not 4 (9 hours is usually 3 am or 3pm for me, 3am I typically am either in bed because I have work in the morning, or up because I don't have work and thus can just get up early to grind... and 3pm i am either about to leave for work or don't have work :p)

KuroNeeko

if you have the HP and don't mind spending it on an 8 hour shield you can also start earlier... the main reason I do 4 is to save the 75hp... and it's rare that I am free 9 hours before an event but not 4 (9 hours is usually 3 am or 3pm for me, 3am I typically am either in bed because I have work in the morning, or up because I don't have work and thus can just get up early to grind... and 3pm i am either about to leave for work or don't have work :p)

Yeah, this was the first time I'd decided to go for a top 50 reward. I was a bit unsure about how many points I'd need to secure my place.

I went for 450 and then shielded up.

I'll probably lie low for a while so I can get bracketed down again. As for BP himself, I'm not sure how I feel about his skills. Anything that gives AP to the other team is pretty risky - his AoE looks like it'll hit hard at later levels and I like his Protect Tile skill. Jury is still out though if I'll work on building him or not.

zulux21

Yeah, this was the first time I'd decided to go for a top 50 reward. I was a bit unsure about how many points I'd need to secure my place.

I went for 450 and then shielded up.

I'll probably lie low for a while so I can get bracketed down again. As for BP himself, I'm not sure how I feel about his skills. Anything that gives AP to the other team is pretty risky - his AoE looks like it'll hit hard at later levels and I like his Protect Tile skill. Jury is still out though if I'll work on building him or not.

his black move does 3162 damage to all enemies at max level and max covers aka well worth giving them 5ap, if they will even still be alive :p

God Dammit. A three star version of Modern Storm? They're really trying to make me quit this game, huh? At this rate they're gonna make a three star OBW, just to make sure I'm playing the same team at all times.

zulux21

God Dammit. A three star version of Modern Storm? They're really trying to make me quit this game, huh? At this rate they're gonna make a three star OBW, just to make sure I'm playing the same team at all times.

on the plus side it means when mags gets nerfed if I have my covers I could just go back to Thor, Storm and widow on the jungle/oasis in pvp :p

turnbuckle

I'm not sure how Gaf-Kanda is doing or if there are any people not in a good alliance that are looking for a spot. We just created a new 20 slot alliance earlier this week and are trying to get into the top 100. It's made up of some personal friends and lots of strangers. I keep booting strangers who join that don't have a lot of points on the season in hopes of finding a few that'll stick. So far I've found a couple who are doing really well. We're looking for anybody that has at least 4000 points on the season to replace some strangers at the bottom that are in the 2000s range. If anyone is interested PM me.

Our ranking:

Our top 5

Our bottom 5:

Pendragon00 is my best friend and a fellow gaffer (more of a lurker though as he has no posts, lol). I would have more points but I completely skipped the PVP event earlier this week and put up a big 0 there.

Sadist

Hey, whattayaknow; my first top ten finish in a month. I guess Sentry covers aren't that popular? :p

En lol, Mario Kart 8 keeps me from racking up major points in Season 2. The event for modern Storm should net me two covers; my Hulk is at level 179, with a lvl 125 two star Wolverine backing him up. So far so good.

Sadist

Damn, that's something new.

Didn't get three characters pulls for weeks and now with two 1 star recruitment tokens I get Human Torch and Magneto. What

Dispatch

It fees like the grind is hitting a lot of us at once. Gafvengers is down a couple members and it's hard to get motivated with the drastic rubberbanding going on.

w2000

It fees like the grind is hitting a lot of us at once. Gafvengers is down a couple members and it's hard to get motivated with the drastic rubberbanding going on.

I agree with the rubberbanding and I am playing like every 5 hours. :( got my 10-pack and the only things worth it is that now I have a psylocke and an IW. At this point I need more 3 star covers than anything since I have at least 5 2-star characters maxed. Definitely going to try to get top 10 for the sentry event because I need the C Mags covers.

turnbuckle

Yeah, I uninstalled the game again and haven't played since Friday. I'm sure I'll play again sometime, but having a multi-part, weeklong PVE event going on along with the demands of Season II it's just too much to juggle. PVE especially because of the lowered points you get from subsequent nodes; a system that makes it to where you need to come back every couple of hours to maximize your points/time invested. And the rules behind the scenes feel like they're always changing so you never really know what the best approach is.

shaowebb

Anyone want like...27000+ in Thick as Thieves? I'll join your alliance if you want it because though not top in my bracket I've been poking the game a lot this week while on phone calls about the new position it looks like I'll move into.

Yeah, I uninstalled the game again and haven't played since Friday. I'm sure I'll play again sometime, but having a multi-part, weeklong PVE event going on along with the demands of Season II it's just too much to juggle. PVE especially because of the lowered points you get from subsequent nodes; a system that makes it to where you need to come back every couple of hours to maximize your points/time invested. And the rules behind the scenes feel like they're always changing so you never really know what the best approach is.

Yep. I'd also like to throw in:

-Being paired up against like leveled teams/brackets, making leveling pretty much worthless. What's the harm in randomly matching groups up?
-An ever increasing ceiling on PvE events (I tapped out all my prizes, and I'm probably 500 in my bracket)
-And lots of these exploitative 1*/2* characters being rebranded. Making sure you're not leveling past them, and will constantly be fighting Thor/Daken/Storm/ect...
-PvE being taken out of the season.

I'm on my last leg. It's funny though, I've been getting really lucking getting covers lately. I think realizing that it hasn't changed a thing is what's pushing me away from the game.

shaowebb

Yep. I'd also like to throw in:

-Being paired up against like leveled teams/brackets, making leveling pretty much worthless. What's the harm in randomly matching groups up?
-An ever increasing ceiling on PvE events (I tapped out all my prizes, and I'm probably 500 in my bracket)
-And lots of these exploitative 1*/2* characters being rebranded. Making sure you're not leveling past them, and will constantly be fighting Thor/Daken/Storm/ect...
-PvE being taken out of the season.

I'm on my last leg. It's funny though, I've been getting really lucking getting covers lately. I think realizing that it hasn't changed a thing is what's pushing me away from the game.
Same...if I had any intention of sticking around seriously I'd probably be a legit nightmare with Thor/Hulk/Torch

I somehow ended up with a shitload of levels and covers for Torch and Hulk and Hulk is prioritizing all the right stuff to make use of his black. Torch is hitting for a little over 1000 a turn now, and Thor is on Battery duty. Heck I even got a Classic Magneto in the 80's now. Be nice if I could sell my account or something someday.

zulux21

some of that is the grind, some of it is we weren't performing well enough in general and the good members wanted to actually get top 100 covers for their efforts and went off to green pastures instead of our sad brown with spots of green pastures :p

kswiston

I think I'm about done guys. when Mike and Askani left, and it became apparent that we would no longer be finding ourself in the top 100, I realized I am not actually having fun anymore. When I thought about trying to maintain a top 200 ranking to get Lstorm, I realize I don't really care. This past PVE event's extreme grind sort of broke the camel's back. Work is busy, family life is busy, and all of my free time (not spent posting on GAF) was going towards MPQ. I think I need to tone things down regarding this game.

Unless you have someone better lined up, I can stay in GAFvengers for the rest of this season (I have over 5000 in the season standings, and over 25k in the current PVE event), but I can't commit to more than casual scores in the coming PVP events, and I'm not going to push in the remainder of the PVE event. After season 2, I will probably bow out. The pressures of the alliance system, D3's messed PVE brackets, and the awards stinginess have drained a lot of the fun out of this game.

Dispatch

Well, as one of, if not the, newest member of Gafvengers, I understand. The game is supposed to be fun, and if it's not fun, then just ease back, or, if it's really not fun, then it's okay to leave.

I have a 25 page rule with books. If I'm not enjoying it after 25 pages, I put it back on the shelf, especially if the book is purely for entertainment. I'm getting the same feeling with Marvel Puzzle Quest right now. I don't think I'll quit, but I cant' see me grinding so much for rewards, at least not right now.

zulux21

I think I'm about done guys. when Mike and Askani left, and it became apparent that we would no longer be finding ourself in the top 100, I realized I am not actually having fun anymore. When I thought about trying to maintain a top 200 ranking to get Lstorm, I realize I don't really care. This past PVE event's extreme grind sort of broke the camel's back. Work is busy, family life is busy, and all of my free time (not spent posting on GAF) was going towards MPQ. I think I need to tone things down regarding this game.

Unless you have someone better lined up, I can stay in GAFvengers for the rest of this season (I have over 5000 in the season standings, and over 25k in the current PVE event), but I can't commit to more than casual scores in the coming PVP events, and I'm not going to push in the remainder of the PVE event. After season 2, I will probably bow out. The pressures of the alliance system, D3's messed PVE brackets, and the awards stinginess have drained a lot of the fun out of this game.
it's all good, I obviously have scaled back myself. I really only plan on going for stuff that I want, and with the changes to PVE I am basically screwed there since I have a job *shrugs* I will just have to get the characters from future events.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OBW makes this game not fun. That character singlehandedly breaks the game. Break is the appropriate word to use as well, and not hyperbole.

On the bright side, I managed to nab 3 X-Force covers in the past two days. One via a daily reward, one via Starfall token and one via a PvE token.

Anilones

As echoed in this thread looking at the official forums there appears to be a great lethargy overcoming long-term players, especially with the recent changes in PvP and PvE, with notable players deciding to stop playing. At this rate I can see some tweaks coming to reinvigorate the fanbase.

Top Bottom