• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

If not I have some points for now I can toss your way. Got the job so I still wouldn't say I'm fit to be back permanent. Got a lot of moving and shit to do now so I will stay busy. Still I got a few points if you want em...been trying to level my Torch off this event. Pairing him with Thor and Gray suit Widow has been devastating lately. So much fucking green.Thor/Daken/Torch is also pretty sinister.

if you log in and get your daily each day you are likely doing better then some :p

shaowebb

Well I guess I'm back then. Up to you if you ever risk Commandering me again someday given how busy I stay, but for now I'm back in Gaf-vengers and you're welcome to my measly few thousand points. I strongly recommend leveling your Torches though. That Thor/Torch setup is insane. Gray widow keeps it good but Daken also makes it pretty harsh on folks. If someone managed a Lazy Thor/Lazy Daken/ Torch team it'd destroy folks.

Spoit

Well I guess I'm back then. Up to you if you ever risk Commandering me again someday given how busy I stay, but for now I'm back in Gaf-vengers and you're welcome to my measly few thousand points. I strongly recommend leveling your Torches though. That Thor/Torch setup is insane. Gray widow keeps it good but Daken also makes it pretty harsh on folks. If someone managed a Lazy Thor/Lazy Daken/ Torch team it'd destroy folks.

He works well with laken, but pairing him with L thor seems counterproductive. At that point, you'd be wanting to use call the storm instead, which really only leaves you with his black.

(also his covers are way too rare)

shaowebb

He works well with laken, but pairing him with L thor seems counterproductive. At that point, you'd be wanting to use call the storm instead, which really only leaves you with his black.

(also his covers are way too rare)

Red and yellow with L Thor hit pretty well. Agreed that Call the Storm is great, but the point is to mainly take your battery and make him swing harder with laken's tiles.I'm able super early to start hitting with torch for about a grand per turn so far it seems like it'd be faster to just have a harder hitting battery during AP gathering since by the time I'd get enough to call the Storm Torch has already killed them. Its about a dead heat race, but this way the team has redundancy built into it, hits harder than regular Thor and is far healthier than using gray widow for the battery. You get to have both forms of insurmountable offense on that team this way. After all...how many times have we all built teams only to linchpin on one attacker only to have the game rubberband, kill him and ruin your day.Plus Lazy Thor has the Tile priority keeping Torch alive. This way you have an entire team of characters capable of surviving on their own and doing enough damage on their own to wipe teams because L Thor is a tank who hits whole teams and self builds, Laken heals insanely well and has so many strike tiles he wipes out fist fights, and Torch never gets hit and abuses teams for over a grand per turn after he pops some tiles or uses either of his other abilities.

Redundancy like this is great. They'd have to perform a full team wipe to keep you from continuing your pressure.

Dispatch

Ugh, got hit with some bad cascades and poor boards. I'm out of heals and didn't even make it to 300 points in Lord of Thunder...sigh.

KuroNeeko

I'm just about done with this game.

GAF-Kanda is pretty dead... seems like half the member didn't even try on the last few events.

To be fair, you're always ranked pretty high, so that's tough to compete with;D

For Alliance rankings, I'm ranked 8th for ISO Brotherhood, 4th for Season II, and 1st(Holy carp!) for Lord of Thunder.

Honestly, as I posted earlier, my goal in small-scale PvP is to get the Heroic cover and MAYBE the 2★ cover if it's one I can use (it usually is.) This keeps me in a fairly reasonable bracket so I can go for the 2★ / 3★ if I want it. This time, I want it! Hood looks pretty cool. Last time I went for the 3★ was Black Panther - man, I'm SO GANGSTER! Hood / Black Panther! :)/)

MPQ is my backup game, and even then it takes up a lot of time. If you guys want me to jump out, that's cool;D I can't see myself playing a lot more than I do now. I'm kind of bummed I missed out on the 10-pack this time around. I thought we had more time left. I think if I played much more than this though, it would interfere with my real-life and I'd drop it pretty quickly. I'd burn out at the very least.

Having said that, nothing exciting going on lately. C. Storm and MN Mags are both over level 50 and were just bulldozing everything in PvP. If you get a few strong matches in blue or purple you just go crazy. My last match was against a O. Black Willow with a strong Black. That's pretty frustrating to play against. ;D Better get used to it, I guess.

I got my 3rd Psylocke cover as well and now have 2 Black / 1 Blue. The black is fun during PvE events because it's cheap and you can slap-chop everything down. Blue is fun if you have a balanced team. Unreliable though.

Ultimately, I'd like to make something with Hood / Psylocke / Falcon / Punisher. Seems like Falcon / Punisher have good synergy, but the rest...no so much. I'll just keep plodding along.

shaowebb

Got a lot of tokens there...15 to 16-ish. Somehow didn't get anything I needed at all. Even the 2 star tokens failed to yield any golden happy 3 star recruits.

Still that was a haul and it helped continue to power level my Torch to 65.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Got a lot of tokens there...15 to 16-ish. Somehow didn't get anything I needed at all. Even the 2 star tokens failed to yield any golden happy 3 star recruits.

Still that was a haul and it helped continue to power level my Torch to 65.

I haven't gotten jack shit from a standard token in like a month.

It's basic just ISO at this point.

Out of 13 tokens today I got a single Yellow IW, and that was it. Pretty disappointing since I have about a dozen 3* heroes that need several covers to be viable. Oh well.

finally opened my 10 pack from Season 1. I got two lazy thor covers, 1 IW cover and a Black Widow 3*. I also got one for Magneto 2* that I wanted, so he will be maxed out soon.

Dispatch

Mohawk Storm reward in the Hood tournament. My summer vacation just started. Think I'm going hard after a top 50 here.

I'm prepared to fail. :(

komarkaze

My season 2 10-pack was much better to me this time around. I got 2 covers for my 3* Captain America, 1 Falcon and a Magneto cover. And not long after, I picked up a Grey Widow and 2 Iron Man covers from other assorted Heroic tokens after season 2 ended, so I'm happy about that.

I just need a ton of ISO to feed the majority of my 2 star characters from level 78 to 85 while I wait to build out my 3 star characters.

GAF-Kanda has been pretty quiet lately. Something is wrong when I'm ranking at the top of some of the alliance charts.

Malmorian

Ugh. I'm telling you, no fucking luck with these covers :/ I swear if I see another Juggernaut cover i'm going to lose my mind

shaowebb

Ugh. I'm telling you, no fucking luck with these covers :/ I swear if I see another Juggernaut cover i'm going to lose my mind

Honestly he would be a good pick for a new variant of. They really need to do a proper Bullseye first though...

EDIT: #1 in my bracket for Mohawk Storm on Gaf-vengers. I'll actually push on this one for us guys since I'm stuck waiting for realty and job calls all night. Hope it helps.

zulux21

Mohawk Storm reward in the Hood tournament. My summer vacation just started. Think I'm going hard after a top 50 here.

I'm prepared to fail. :(

I plan to push my way into the top 50... assuming I can wake up tomorrow...
just got off an 8 hour dock shift in 90 degree heat... I am exhausted and may not wake until 15 hours after I sleep :p

KuroNeeko

I'm like, 4th place for everything in GAF Kanda.

Will start making a push for Hood PvP today, but I'm not going for Storm (even though she'd really help in the ISO Brotherhood event.) I want the Green Wolverine cover instead for my 2★ team.

Damn Nervous, how do you get so many points in PvE? I though repeatedly grinding the nodes was actually counter-productive? You have just over twice the points I do. @.@

edit: Man, fighting against maxed out 1★ Iron Mans and Juggernauts is such a pain. I'm starting to wish I hadn't junked my IM. Just that factor alone usually makes me skip over them in PvP. :/ Guess I should be tankful it's not Ares / Thor. :/
edit2: Just burst down a IW 50 / Thor 40 team with Mags / C. Storm / Blue Hood. Feels goooood.

shaowebb

In first, and about to go to work.

I had to report something though guys...I ran into a team from a guy on SHIELD's alliance.

Fully leveled, best build for Lazy Thor/Lazy Daken/Hood in the Hood event.

That sort of raised an eyebrow for me but it is SHIELD so the guy was likely a whale. I went and checked his alliance...only 1 commander and EVERYONE out of the 20 members had that team and mostly maxed stuff.

Either someone paid thousands of dollars in steam gifts for his team and then didn't commander them or that team is actually a hack because Max Gold Thor...doable. Max Gold Daken quite a bit harder, but doable. Both on everyone? I highly doubt it.

I asked D3 to look into their transactions to see if they are the mother of all whales or not. They might be and they win a lot, but this...this was a bit much. Think the guy's name was Daveomate or something Daveo.

I took second place in the Hood pvp tournament! As I have said before, my weekends in particular are tough for me to regularly contribute (and why I don't mind being in -Kanda as opposed to -Vengers) and work has gotten pretty busy lately, but I try to do my best to contribute.

Woke up tipsy from last night (don't judge me) and had an hour left for the Hood event and got enough points to get this
0NERRF8.jpg

zulux21

In first, and about to go to work.

I had to report something though guys...I ran into a team from a guy on SHIELD's alliance.

Fully leveled, best build for Lazy Thor/Lazy Daken/Hood in the Hood event.

That sort of raised an eyebrow for me but it is SHIELD so the guy was likely a whale. I went and checked his alliance...only 1 commander and EVERYONE out of the 20 members had that team and mostly maxed stuff.

Either someone paid thousands of dollars in steam gifts for his team and then didn't commander them or that team is actually a hack because Max Gold Thor...doable. Max Gold Daken quite a bit harder, but doable. Both on everyone? I highly doubt it.

I asked D3 to look into their transactions to see if they are the mother of all whales or not. They might be and they win a lot, but this...this was a bit much. Think the guy's name was Daveomate or something Daveo.

im willing to guess it's legit... last I heard shield kicked anyone that wasn't up to their standards so they likely just have 20 whales in the alliance.

Spoit

They didn't kick them, they were burnt out and quit the game altogether.

If you hit all 3 covers in the release tournaments, that's about enough to fully cover a new character. Only ones who haven't had enough to fully cover yet are IIRC falcon, sentry, laken and mostorm. Laken you could get to 5/3/3 with the progression reward covers, and there was a glitch during one of the tournaments last season that gave people who finished first (i.e. the kind of people in S.H.I.E.L.D) falcon covers instead of cmags, allowing them to fully cover him.

And at that level, they usually have a fair amount of HP stockpiled from wins, so splurging on the occasional cover buys is totally justifiable, especially when it's a ridiculously overpowered character like laken or sentry

Who is SeeSharp on here? I see someone trying to join Kanda

Did you also see there's a timer on how many points you will get from a mission in PvE?

shaowebb

im willing to guess it's legit... last I heard shield kicked anyone that wasn't up to their standards so they likely just have 20 whales in the alliance.

They didn't kick them, they were burnt out and quit the game altogether.

If you hit all 3 covers in the release tournaments, that's about enough to fully cover a new character. Only ones who haven't had enough to fully cover yet are IIRC falcon, sentry, laken and mostorm. Laken you could get to 5/3/3 with the progression reward covers, and there was a glitch during one of the tournaments last season that gave people who finished first (i.e. the kind of people in S.H.I.E.L.D) falcon covers instead of cmags, allowing them to fully cover him.

And at that level, they usually have a fair amount of HP stockpiled from wins, so splurging on the occasional cover buys is totally justifiable, especially when it's a ridiculously overpowered character like laken or sentry

Geez thats too much whaling. Also why aren't they using Commanders? I wouldn't trust folks not to boot me after all that investing.

Askani

Is he still good? I know they nerfed him recently...

On a pure Spiderman to OBW comparison, he's...not great. At best he's okay.

You lose the steal which is the biggest knock imo. He does have about 2700 more health at 141 plus he will make protect tiles so your team can take a few hits and mitigate some damage. His heal is more expensive at 14 compared to 9, but he aoe heals for 9800 versus around 3700 if you have some web tiles out. 6900 without web tiles. The nice thing being is that if there are countdown tiles, it doesn't matter where OBW will lose half her healing. But sometimes you want to stop those timers...so it depends on the board.

Without that steal though your team will get rocked for big damage more. Plus it's then a choice to use Spiderman's heal or Thor's/L.Thor/Ares big attacks.

That being said I still see alot of 141 Spiderman's being played.

zulux21

That being said I still see alot of 141 Spiderman's being played.

I think that is merely a case of people who don't want to give up healing and thus still playing spidey despite the fact that he isn't very good.

if you already have one at level 141 he might still be slightly useful, but I am hard pressed to think it would be a good use of ISO to level up one now, when you can just keep OBW around for healing and instead level up someone like Lazy Daken if you have the covers.

shaowebb

Gonna be gone till Sunday viewing realty for the career shift (movin on up). That means what you got from me on this event is what you got Gaf-vengers. Good luck. If anyone has a way to link my account to my mobile tablet though I'm all open to help.

Ponn

Banned
I finally downloaded this from Steam to start playing it. I'm just starting and spent some ISO to try and recruit 1 character and I pulled a Legendary classic Invisible Woman. Seemed like a lucky pull to me, she has been helping me steamroll a bit but now its starting to even out.

I already kind of figured any Hero Points I earn I should save for roster space upgrades but is there anything else I should be doing or just try and make my way through story mode for now. What are these packs I see people talking about? I don't really have the space for characters right now so I probably shouldn't be trying to recruit anyone else right now.

zulux21

I finally downloaded this from Steam to start playing it. I'm just starting and spent some ISO to try and recruit 1 character and I pulled a Legendary classic Invisible Woman. Seemed like a lucky pull to me, she has been helping me steamroll a bit but now its starting to even out.

I already kind of figured any Hero Points I earn I should save for roster space upgrades but is there anything else I should be doing or just try and make my way through story mode for now. What are these packs I see people talking about? I don't really have the space for characters right now so I probably shouldn't be trying to recruit anyone else right now.

only really bother keeping storm, iron man, and maybe widow from the 1 stars...
only bother keeping 2 star widow, thor, ares, maybe captain (tile control)
keep all 3+ stars period as they will likely be required sometime.

don't bother max leveling your 1 stars that aren't named storm... you won't keep them around, but taking iron man to level 20-25 isn't a bad idea.

I am currently replaying the game from scratch on my tablet, and it was rather easy to get a decent team with only 9 slots as I only have the characters mentioned.... gaf kanda has room in it so you might want to apply there as you get extra HP and tokens from being in the alliance which will help you move to a two star roster quicker.

kswiston

Dear Marvel Puzzle Quest,

When a player's top character list looks like this:

Matching them up with this:

Is not really fair :(

I don't think I am going to be able to get my 10-pack for season 3. Until now, I was facing max two star teams (which is fair, since that is what I use), but now, it's all high level 3 stars....

w2000

Dear Marvel Puzzle Quest,

When a player's top character list looks like this:

Matching them up with this:

Is not really fair :(

I don't think I am going to be able to get my 10-pack for season 3. Until now, I was facing max two star teams (which is fair, since that is what I use), but now, it's all high level 3 stars....

Haven't started this pvp, but I have a feeling that will happen to me too because I have similar level characters and I saw lvl 141s in the last one too.

zulux21

Haven't started this pvp, but I have a feeling that will happen to me too because I have similar level characters and I saw lvl 141s in the last one too.

on the flip side I have a team that can easily take down teams of level 141s and I keep getting 2 star teams after 400 points or so that are worth next to nothing :/

After some time away from the game, I think I'm ready to get back in and join an alliance. Do you guys have any room in any of the GAF alliances?

According to Steam I've played for 402 hours, which is accurate, and in the current PvE event I've got 26,000 points. Currently missing new Storm, Sentry and lazy Daken, so I can't participate in every fight in this event.

My name in-game is the same as my GAF name, and my current #1 team is lazy Cap (Lv 107), OBW (85) and either original Daken/Thor/Astonishing Wolvie (all 85s).

shaowebb

Since getting back from my business stuff I've managed to put in some more points. Think I'm at like 26k or something now which is about a 3rd of what I figure I would have had in this event if I still went in on stuff and didn't have so much to do.

Nearly got my Torch maxed at 77 now. It'd be nice to get some covers for him out of that spiderman event but I only got 2 covers on my spidey...not likely I'd place in that thing. Especially since the whole gauntlet of moving begins for me tomorrow.

kswiston

on the flip side I have a team that can easily take down teams of level 141s and I keep getting 2 star teams after 400 points or so that are worth next to nothing :/

Are you still using Mags/Patch?

What covers are required for that team to become usable, and what is your general strategy when using the team?

My patch and Mags are slowly building up a decent amount of covers, so if MPQ doesn't nerf those two in the near future, I might have a viable team in a month or two. If I ever get anymore 3* covers... Nothing in the past 10 special or heroic tokens, and probably the past 50 standard tokens. I suppose I was having a good string of luck before that though.

zulux21

Are you still using Mags/Patch?

What covers are required for that team to become usable, and what is your general strategy when using the team?

My patch and Mags are slowly building up a decent amount of covers, so if MPQ doesn't nerf those two in the near future, I might have a viable team in a month or two. If I ever get anymore 3* covers... Nothing in the past 10 special or heroic tokens, and probably the past 50 standard tokens. I suppose I was having a good string of luck before that though.

I am still using mags and patch
as for needed covers... you likely need 5 red and 5 blue on patch (I have 5/5/1) and on Patch you likely need at least 10 covers total with at least 4 of them being green for him to be a good choice (as really getting up towards level 141 with him is the most important, but I also like 5 green as it puts the most strike tiles on the board)

as for strat... it's simple, I build up some AP (getting blue first, usually using a blue boost when facing harder teams) you then use that to clear the board of blue by making 5 matches with the move when ever you can to get more ap quickly... when you have around 8 red, 8 blue, and 9 green AP you can typically pop it. Use patch's green move to put 6 angry strike tiles on the board... use mag's blue move to make 4 and 5 matches of blue to deal massive damage, and when you don't have the blue tiles on the board to continue use the red move to change up some tiles and hopefully get some more blue on the board... Make sure your blue won't drop below 5... as in the rare time you can't finish the other team (I am talking maybe 1 out of 30 times) you want to use your blue move to convert two enemy strike tiles into blue protect tiles (and if you have a lot left try to make a purple match to destroy strike tiles on top of it) which has always left me with at worst the enemy having 2 strike tiles while I have two protect tiles meaning they only get an extra 150 or so damage on me.

zulux21

Upcoming feature : Spend more money on health packs (aka no more group heals)
New feature: True Healing
Characters receive true healing if their powers heal their wounds. Character powers that ease combat but don't heal wounds provide temporary health.
- The following abilities are considered true healing:
- Ares (Dark Avengers): Sunder - This ability is more a moment of weakness than actual damage, so Ares gains health back when the weakness passes.
- Daken (Classic) and (Dark Avengers Wolverine): Healing & Heat
- Wolverine (Patch) and (Astonishing X-Men): Healing Factor
- Wolverine (X-Force): Recovery
- The following abilities are considered temporary healing:
- Black Widow (Original): Anti-Gravity Device - This ability uses gravitic fields that lets heroes fight more easily despite injuries. It doesn't heal them of these injuries however.
- Spider-Man (Classic): Web Bandages - These bandages help heroes fight through pain but do not provide actual healing.
- She-Hulk (Modern): Reprieve – She-Hulk allows for the team to take a rest from combat for a moment and gather their strength but does not heal any wounds.

so it's not as bad as just removing healing in general, but it's still going to make it all that much more harder to go from a two star team to three star team, and makes spidy all that much more useless now that his heal move is nerfed more.

in other news you can now get lazy daken, sentry, and mohawk storm from tokens.

He's a four star and his max level is 230. So his level ranges per number of covers is different. I think 169 for 10 covers is possible technically.

it's not only possible I killed the same person 4 times in the first pvp event of this season that had one of them....
the third and fourth time I just couldn't resist >.> oh hey you pay a lot of money to this game... DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!! :p

zulux21

That healing change...

So bad. So very very bad.

no it's to promote fun, by them removing the option of healing with widow or spidy it will promote more broad rosters and more fun times in general. fun fun fun fun fun... it's a fun move it really is... did I say fun... because it's fun... you will have fun... fun fun fun... it's a fun move... see I said fun enough that it's true.

or at least that is what they are saying :p
god I hate PR bullcrap.

shaowebb

She Hulk sounds fun...heal nerfs doesn't. Pretty well forces folks to spend money to play more otherwise bye bye gold tokens...which also cost money to get more of.

Got another Mohawk off a token...my first 3 star in ages. Then I turned around and got another Iron Man mach 40. Also my level 77 Torch is ripping through these guys. Him +THOR+ STORM. Torch covers the black and red, Thor gets the green and yellow Storm gets the Blue. Neck and neck for top in my bracket and I got a shitload of points.

Good stuff.

Just did a run of the Juggernaut fights, got 6000 pts and am sitting 5th in my bracket at the moment.

Figure I may as well try for a She-Hulk.

Upcoming feature : Spend more money on health packs (aka no more group heals)

so it's not as bad as just removing healing in general, but it's still going to make it all that much more harder to go from a two star team to three star team, and makes spidy all that much more useless now that his heal move is nerfed more.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. My gut reaction is this sucks and is gonna make me play the game less. But that might be a good thing though since other people will be doing the same. Might tone down the grind a bit and make it less likely to be attacked. If people can't heal the high end will go down as well, so you won't need 1000 points to be in the top 20 in PvP events.

zulux21

I'm curious to see how this plays out. My gut reaction is this sucks and is gonna make me play the game less. But that might be a good thing though since other people will be doing the same. Might tone down the grind a bit and make it less likely to be attacked. If people can't heal the high end will go down as well, so you won't need 1000 points to be in the top 20 in PvP events.

I will put it this way... this change will not have any effect on me. If I want to crawl to 1k plus in pvp I still can without an issue at all. I haven't used healing for well over a month now.

all this will do is make it so the people who can do what I can do (and have motivation to play still :p) continue to take in the rewards as they have an even bigger advantage over other players.

Top Bottom