• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

KuroNeeko

That reasoning...

If you're going to change healing to balance the game and promote diversity, just say so. Maybe you can make those characters more appealing in some other way.

Or how about giving lesser-used characters like Hawkeye and Bullseye some sort of "temporary healing" to make them more attractive?

Stupid PR speak.

edit:
Checking out SHulk's skill now.
So much potential in those skill names!

I'm playing the game in Japanese, so I don't know what the wrote it as, but please tell me they translated the red one as, "The Power of Attorney"

Blue is what, "Done Deal"? "Negotiations Complete?"
Green - "Stay of Execution"? "Executive Pardon"?

Ponn

Banned
So i'm finally starting to get the hang of this but still feel like a newbie. I'm not getting enough points to help anyones alliance so I still feel like i'm in a building stage.

I've expanded my roster but kind of stuck now. I don't want to spend money on this game but roster expansion just jumped from 1 to 3 for 400 hp and right now I only got 75 hp and don't see much more heading my way anytime soon for free.

My current roster is

Invisible Woman classic legendary
Juggernaut 1 star
Wolverine Astonishing Xmen 2 star
Hawkeye classic (maxed powers)
Iron Man 35
modern Storm
Modern Black Widow

I have sitting in my recruit line up Thor Marvel Now, Captain America Steve Rogers 3 stars and a Black Widow original. I have about 4 days left on those 3. Should I worry about spending real money to just upgrade my roster or will some HP be coming my way anytime soon? I've finished Juggernaut story and most of the rewards and about halfway through venom story. I've been trying to level all my current roster but my big hitters right now are Iron Man, Black Widow and Hawkeye. Juggernaut i'm starting to build up. Invisible Woman I got from a recruit token and came level 30 but I have no way to level here. Shes a damage sponge right now with fair dmg but almost useless power that I can't train (force bubbles). I've tried some versus and getting into that a bit and keep seeing all these covers I could be randomly pulling so I know i'm going to be having to make more decisions on roster.

I feel like anyone putting points on the board right now would help GAF-Vengers.

We've all kind of resigned ourselves to getting whatever we can as a group as a bonus. The competition for the top 100 spots is just too crazy.

Unless I'm way off, I think we'd be happy to have any GAFfer at this point.

Ponn

Banned
I feel like anyone putting points on the board right now would help GAF-Vengers.

We've all kind of resigned ourselves to getting whatever we can as a group as a bonus. The competition for the top 100 spots is just too crazy.

I'm not sure how to join private alliances but my id is ponn01.

shaowebb

If it helps I'm putting up real numbers this time for She Hulk. Not kicking around till the end to win a bracket. I'm up to 17000 or something...

sibarraz

Banned
Any alliance spot open? I'm playing the game again and would love to had all the alliance bonus, even if became impossible to get top 100

KuroNeeko

I feel like the people are really working it to get She Hulk this time around.

I'm going back and forth for top spot in Kanda when it's usually NervousXtian sitting at the top. Even then, some of the nodes are showing up black / red and I'm still only scraping by at around the ~80s.

Also, going for Black Widow last time in PvP was a mistake. The competition is a lot stronger this time around. I should probably get She Hulk and then sit a few out. :/

shaowebb

Gaf- vengers is full. Thanks for letting me in guys. I'm up to 23000+ in my bracket and Ironman 40 only just now started producing blue AP for Storm. He's gonna make tomorrow so free on points.

Get 7 yellow... Ironman 40 puts down 3 timers. They pop in 2 turns & he has 9 red and 9 blue AP. Storm uses the Blue to team wipe and stun and Thor uses the red to produce more yellow to start Ironman's charge ability up again. It ends up making a team that stun locks harder than prepatch Spiderman and still has the power to call the Storm or Repulsor blast should Storm die. Heck...if they swing at you too hard Storm punches them passively too.

Best Battery ever.This is largely why I went in so hard in between packing up my house for the move...I needed that extra Ironman 40 cover from progression awards and now I got it. Took me this long to get 2 covers for that damned charge. Till you get at least two yellow covers he's pretty much just there doin nothing. Now if I can just get Lazy Thor decked out I'd have a new main team.

KuroNeeko

Gaf- vengers is full. Thanks for letting me in guys. I'm up to 23000+ in my bracket and Ironman 40 only just now started producing blue AP for Storm. He's gonna make tomorrow so free on points.

Get 7 yellow... Ironman 40 puts down 3 timers. They pop in 2 turns & he has 9 red and 9 blue AP. Storm uses the Blue to team wipe and stun and Thor uses the red to produce more yellow to start Ironman's charge ability up again. It ends up making a team that stun locks harder than prepatch Spiderman and still has the power to call the Storm or Repulsor blast should Storm die. Heck...if they swing at you too hard Storm punches them passively too.

Best Battery ever.This is largely why I went in so hard in between packing up my house for the move...I needed that extra Ironman 40 cover from progression awards and now I got it. Took me this long to get 2 covers for that damned charge. Till you get at least two yellow covers he's pretty much just there doin nothing. Now if I can just get Lazy Thor decked out I'd have a new main team.

Dammit, just reinforcing that I made a mistake selling him off. I only had about 2-3 covers, but I didn't think he was any good. :/ NEVER AGAIN!

kswiston

He's a four star and his max level is 230. So his level ranges per number of covers is different. I think 169 for 10 covers is possible technically.

What I mean is that Nick fury is not listed in any of the drop tables for the 2-star+ token machine (at least not when I checked yesterday), and you can only have received a max of 2 of them from the season events. Where are people getting these 10 Fury cards from?

shaowebb

Dammit, just reinforcing that I made a mistake selling him off. I only had about 2-3 covers, but I didn't think he was any good. :/ NEVER AGAIN!

NEVER sell anything rare. Ironman 40 is exceptionally hard to come by. By far one of the best batteries out there. The only meh high ranker is Xforce wolverine and he's not bad...just outshined by Patch and other guys. Likely getting buffs IMO or downgraded a star or so.

Currently my team for this is a Max level C. Storm. a max level Thor and a 4 cover Ironman 40. All Ironman has to do is act as battery and he's buffed so hard he has nearly 6000 health. Whole team is over 100+ in levels due to the event buffs. Its the best you could have and largely one of the reasons they do these heroic modes...to promote certain teams they feel are good and to teach people team structuring at higher levels.

A lot of redundancy floods PVP so this is a way to help encourage the player base to use certain teams instead. I know a ton of folk Switched up there C. Storm MN Mags for MN Mags and Dr Doom after a PVP awhile back so it works to a degree. Currently I think they should do more to promote Loki. He has some real potential. Id like to test him with Falcon sometime.

zulux21

NEVER sell anything rare. Ironman 40 is exceptionally hard to come by. By far one of the best batteries out there. The only meh high ranker is Xforce wolverine and he's not bad...just outshined by Patch and other guys. Likely getting buffs IMO or downgraded a star or so.

personally I find loki, daredevil, ragnarok, 4 star wolverine and spiderman to be pretty meh high rankers.. I also find iron man to be rather meh as well as the only time I will use him is when he has a big buff since two of his moves are complete garbage and his recharge is alright, but I would rather use that yellow for someone like thor.

but hey I am glad you found a use for him that you enjoy.

Anyways I will likely start the she hulk event tomorrow morning once I wake up and can play around on it all day.

as for loki, he is interesting, but without his third move he is just bleh... he really needs a solid third move to complete him.

KuroNeeko

Currently my team for this is a Max level C. Storm. a max level Thor and a 4 cover Ironman 40. All Ironman has to do is act as battery and he's buffed so hard he has nearly 6000 health. Whole team is over 100+ in levels due to the event buffs. Its the best you could have and largely one of the reasons they do these heroic modes...to promote certain teams they feel are good and to teach people team structuring at higher levels.

A lot of redundancy floods PVP so this is a way to help encourage the player base to use certain teams instead. I know a ton of folk Switched up there C. Storm MN Mags for MN Mags and Dr Doom after a PVP awhile back so it works to a degree. Currently I think they should do more to promote Loki. He has some real potential. Id like to test him with Falcon sometime.

I'm thinking of selling off my 4★ Invisible Woman. She only has a single cover and it's not like I'll ever get her to a point where I can use her. That's one extra slot I could have given to IM 40 or another 3★... :/

C. Storm is really wrecking the event. PvE has been kind to me and I've managed to upgrade Thor to about 3/3/3. Really, it's just a race to get the blue to AoE everyone but Thor is starting to help out.

I sold a Black Panther cover too when I first started. Now I'm stuck at three covers.*sigh*

Wish I could get some more Doom covers. I'm excited about She Hulk. I think her, Daken, and say Thor might make a decent transition team.

zulux21

I'm thinking of selling off my 4★ Invisible Woman. She only has a single cover and it's not like I'll ever get her to a point where I can use her. That's one extra slot I could have given to IM 40 or another 3★... :/

C. Storm is really wrecking the event. PvE has been kind to me and I've managed to upgrade Thor to about 3/3/3. Really, it's just a race to get the blue to AoE everyone but Thor is starting to help out.

I sold a Black Panther cover too when I first started. Now I'm stuck at three covers.*sigh*

Wish I could get some more Doom covers. I'm excited about She Hulk. I think her, Daken, and say Thor might make a decent transition team.

just save up your hp and only use it on roster slots.
selling IW would be silly as that one cover means that you won't be locked out of any nodes that she is required in... and she has been required in the past.

shaowebb

personally I find loki, daredevil, ragnarok, 4 star wolverine and spiderman to be pretty meh high rankers.. I also find iron man to be rather meh as well as the only time I will use him is when he has a big buff since two of his moves are complete garbage and his recharge is alright, but I would rather use that yellow for someone like thor.

but hey I am glad you found a use for him that you enjoy.

Anyways I will likely start the she hulk event tomorrow morning once I wake up and can play around on it all day.

as for loki, he is interesting, but without his third move he is just bleh... he really needs a solid third move to complete him.

I keep thinking Loki/Falcon and either Panther or one of the wolverines would be good. Wolvy because it'd give me back those tiles he gives the opponent in the form of defense tiles and Panther because I know Panther+Falcon works and its good color coverage.

He's fun. Just needs a good partner.

Also its far better to use that yellow for Ironman 40 than Thor. Yes...Thor can call the storm if he gets green. That takes awhile. Ironman 40 costs only 7 yellow to use and returns 9 red and 9 blue at two covers for his charge ability. I'm getting off TWO of C. Storm's ice shots in a turn now thanks to this setup and the red pretty well sets up Thor to hit the opposing team for a grand while refueling Ironman. Dont count on 2 stuns, but generally speaking I've managed to pop at least a couple of blue matches so I either deal 2 Stuns with C.Storm straight up or within a turn. Its coming either way considering how fast it refuels.

You just do more damage quickly this way since Storm fires off multiple times per turn or just plain fires off every other turn back to back and Thor guaranteed pops off a Red attack. Cumulatively this yields a thousand or so more than Call the Storm, does it faster, refuels itself, does minimal 1 stun but generally 2 stuns per use and still yields board cascades from yellow tile popping. Considering stuns make it so they can't pop your tiles easily it just perpetuates and generally way faster than just using a purely Thor minded approach.

Spend the yellow on Ironman 40 if you run him/Thor/C.Storm this event...you'll see the difference quick.

Dispatch

I'm actually doing pretty well this event, too. I've been using CStorm, Modern Hawkeye and Iron Man 40.
Right now, I'm number 5 in my bracket.
Let the rubber banding begin!
Sigh...

Sadist

Yay, got my sixth Iron Man 40 cover. I'm at 28k points right now, ranked 31st.

Hope I get a She-Hulk because of the time difference.

Btw, my roster is getting stronger by the day; complete 2* Cap, Thor, Wolverine, Ares, Black Widow OG, Classic Storm and Bullseye.

As for three stars;

Single Black Panther and Falcon

Gold Daken 1/1
Gold Cap 1/1
Gold Thor 2
Gold Storm 2/1
Daredevil 2/1
Magneto 3/2
Sentry 2/2
Doom 2/2
Loki 1/3
Human Torch 3/3
Iron Man 40 1/2/3
Pyslocke 3/3/1
Punisher 3/3/1
Patch 3/1/3
Hulk 5/3/2
Spider-Man 4/5/4

As for four stars, I got Invisible Woman at 2/2/1 and through the Daily rewards I'll receive Wolverine X-Force, so that's going to be at 2/2/1 as well.

As of this morning I finally have a character over 100!

I've been relying on OBW/Thor/InsertWhoever for so long it is nice to have a usable 3 star. Got IM40 up to 102. I have a bunch in the 60s/70s but the drops are so rare...

zulux21

hmmm it's a tad annoying healing got nerfed in the middle of the she hulk event... w/e I have enough time to get a decent score without healing at least :p

Fjord

I think I've screwed up my She-Hulk event. I made the mistake of joining 30 seconds after it opened and got put in a crazy bracket. After maybe 6 hours of playing and earning the Ironman reward I still haven't cracked top 200.

zulux21

I think I've screwed up my She-Hulk event. I made the mistake of joining 30 seconds after it opened and got put in a crazy bracket. After maybe 6 hours of playing and earning the Ironman reward I still haven't cracked top 200.

while joining late has been drastically reduced in power (you likely won't finish well if you join in the last few hours)... joining right away is still usually a terrible idea because it's usually populated by people who will grind and grind forever... I always give an event at least a few hours... or in this case I waited a while because I wouldn't be able to do much yesterday but I can do plenty today.

kswiston

I may actually get she hulk. I can't play for 8 hour chunks during the day or when I am sleeping, but I have managed to stay in the 100s, easily allowing me to break 100 when I do play. Since the event ends at night, I will be able to play closer to the deadline.

The Human Torch event was dead. If I didn't have to work, I could have broken the top 100 with zero effort. I only played enough battles this morning to get my 300 point token and still had a top 120 finish.

zulux21

I may actually get she hulk. I can't play for 8 hour chunks during the day or when I am sleeping, but I have managed to stay in the 100s, easily allowing me to break 100 when I do play. Since the event ends at night, I will be able to play closer to the deadline.

The Human Torch event was dead. If I didn't have to work, I could have broken the top 100 with zero effort. I only played enough battles this morning to get my 300 point token and still had a top 120 finish.

im currently sitting at 4th in my bracket... my big plan... every two hours from here on out pop in and play each node when they get back to max points.... it should allow me to stay in the top 10 to get all 3 covers.

I love the roster of the top person in my bracket though
1b69b6809d.jpg

sibarraz

Banned
I'm fine with the healing patch, at least now the healing rates of 2, 3 and 4 stars has increased

Also, could I return to GAF-vengers? I had 1666 on the season game

zulux21

heh wow... unless things drastically change a top 10 in the she hulk event is going to be super easy. Two hours later and ready to start round two of point gains... and I am still 8th... with my estimated point gains likely taking me to a 10k least on the current number 1.

I guess the plus of not caring about the PVE for the last 3 or 4 events is it be in an easy bracket :p
(i'm only halfway through my point gains for round 2... as the rest of my nodes have like 15 min before I can do them, must have had lunch in between :p)

zulux21

Yeah I might get She-Hulk too. Which is weird.

the best part...
I think she hulk looks like a crap character and have no interest in actually using her lol...
beyond that if we can get the lower people in the alliance to play a bit more we might have a shot at top 100 as we are 169 right now o_O (selya will play more later I know that already :p)

shaowebb

Im currently at #1 in my bracket and will pop back on before it ends to push later once I heal and such. Tons of points for us this time so it should help the alliance a lot. We're lower 100's at the moment so we got a good shot here.

I'm hoping to Top 10 at least tonight to score all the covers on She hulk...I got some ideas for her I'd like to check.

shaowebb

Geez i'm at 28000 in PvE and i'm ranked in the low 200's. I want to be in your bracket

Yeah this is a high scoring PVE thats for sure. I got 36255 right now and I'm in 3rd. I need like 800 more to take back #1 but I'm letting it heal and rebuild. Each push generally puts me higher than before. Night 1 I was like 20's Last night I was around 15 now I'm like 3rd.

Gonna wait till near the end and push once I got heals and stuff so I dont over level my board and so I can get the most out of it right before the end.

Ponn

Banned
I didn't really think I would have a shot at an event but I tried Juggernaut for the heck of it and found out I could use my Black Widow and Iron Man and they were buffed up to level 60 for battles. I've been playing and have racked up about 20,000 points. Not sure I have enough time to grind to get Iron Man 40 and I don't already have one so I can't finish the Juggernaut missions.

I did decide to sell off my Wolverine Astonishing. He's just sitting there with no covers and no leveling and I could see I could use Thor Now so I recruited him with 3 covers. I have a pretty strong team now of Iron Man, BW modern and thor at about 20 each and Hawkeye and Juggernaut sitting about level 16. I'm hovering at around 100th place in my Juggernaut bracket so if I time it right and there isn't a sudden influx of people grinding tonight I might end up with a She Hulk so yayyyy.

I didn't really think I would have a shot at an event but I tried Juggernaut for the heck of it and found out I could use my Black Widow and Iron Man and they were buffed up to level 60 for battles. I've been playing and have racked up about 20,000 points. Not sure I have enough time to grind to get Iron Man 40 and I don't already have one so I can't finish the Juggernaut missions.

I did decide to sell off my Wolverine Astonishing. He's just sitting there with no covers and no leveling and I could see I could use Thor Now so I recruited him with 3 covers. I have a pretty strong team now of Iron Man, BW modern and thor at about 20 each and Hawkeye and Juggernaut sitting about level 16. I'm hovering at around 100th place in my Juggernaut bracket so if I time it right and there isn't a sudden influx of people grinding tonight I might end up with a She Hulk so yayyyy.

Ponn stop selling off your covers :)

It takes a lot of time to build a one star team, migrate to a two star team and eventually graduate to an advanced three star team. I have been playing the game since release (ten months?) and only JUST now are my three stars worth anything. Granted I am not a four-hour per day player but still...

Ponn

Banned
Ponn stop selling off your covers :)

It takes a lot of time to build a one star team, migrate to a two star team and eventually graduate to an advanced three star team. I have been playing the game since release (ten months?) and only JUST now are my three stars worth anything. Granted I am not a four-hour per day player but still...

Well my Thor covers were about to expire and its going to be awhile before I have enough HP to buy the next roster expansion so I had to make a choice. I have a Captain America Steve Rogers thats going to expire tomorrow so I will probably end up selling him.

KuroNeeko

the best part...
I think she hulk looks like a crap character and have no interest in actually using her lol...
beyond that if we can get the lower people in the alliance to play a bit more we might have a shot at top 100 as we are 169 right now o_O (selya will play more later I know that already :p)

Dammit!

I went to bed last night in 8th place. Woke up and was 48th. lol

I'll be battling to get in the top 20.

I always have terrible taste in characters. I'm going for She Hulk because she looks like fun, but if she's going to be crap then... :/ Felt the same way about Grey Suit Black Widow. I busted my butt to get her in PvP hoping to get an edge in the current PvP, but she's still CRAP! Now I'm in a harder bracket with little to pay for it... *sigh*

Daredevil looks pretty fun though...

zulux21

Dammit!

I went to bed last night in 8th place. Woke up and was 48th. lol

I'll be battling to get in the top 20.

I always have terrible taste in characters. I'm going for She Hulk because she looks like fun, but if she's going to be crap then... :/ Felt the same way about Grey Suit Black Widow. I busted my butt to get her in PvP hoping to get an edge in the current PvP, but she's still CRAP! Now I'm in a harder bracket with little to pay for it... *sigh*

Daredevil looks pretty fun though...

I could be wrong and in practice she might be decent...
but
a decent move, but only really good if you are using a character that places weak protect/strike tiles, or against enemies that place them and you don't since it targets random tiles and not just enemy tiles.

at 12 green there are so many better uses of that mana that it isn't even funny... I am not sure if you get to choose what ap goes down to 0 and to half, but even if you can choose between that and barely any temp healing it just seems far better to do something like 3 star thorms call the storm for massive damage.

so this one isn't absolutely horrible, but it's not amazing damage, and it doesn't play well with the idea of replacing things with your strike tiles... I would again just rather use thor's red move.

so I mean, she isn't the worst character... she would have been a lot more interesting if healing wasn't nerfed right before hand... as she would have a far more interesting use with a green heal instead of just being inferior to massive green damage.

KuroNeeko

I could be wrong and in practice she might be decent...
but

a decent move, but only really good if you are using a character that places weak protect/strike tiles, or against enemies that place them and you don't since it targets random tiles and not just enemy tiles.

at 12 green there are so many better uses of that mana that it isn't even funny... I am not sure if you get to choose what ap goes down to 0 and to half, but even if you can choose between that and barely any temp healing it just seems far better to do something like 3 star thorms call the storm for massive damage.

so this one isn't absolutely horrible, but it's not amazing damage, and it doesn't play well with the idea of replacing things with your strike tiles... I would again just rather use thor's red move.

so I mean, she isn't the worst character... she would have been a lot more interesting if healing wasn't nerfed right before hand... as she would have a far more interesting use with a green heal instead of just being inferior to massive green damage.

Thanks for the breakdown.

I was thinking 2★ Thor, 2★ Daken, She-hulk as a transition team since I'm still in 2★ land. Then I can also play with OBW, C. Storm, and MN Mags essentially giving me two teams.

In retrospect, maybe it would have been better to let this event slide and keep my bracket down low. :/

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I feel like the people are really working it to get She Hulk this time around.

I'm going back and forth for top spot in Kanda when it's usually NervousXtian sitting at the top. Even then, some of the nodes are showing up black / red and I'm still only scraping by at around the ~80s.

Also, going for Black Widow last time in PvP was a mistake. The competition is a lot stronger this time around. I should probably get She Hulk and then sit a few out. :/

I grinded pretty heavy the first day.. and I wasn't even sniffing the She-Hulk ranks.. I just got in a bad bracket.. so I said screw it.. wasn't going to have a chance to play much yesterday during the day or today.. and that's that.

I'm glad they nerfed OBW and heals. I finally started using her after holding out.. as just couldn't keep up.. but damn.. it wasn't fun.

KuroNeeko

Man, I hate PvP-centric games like this. lol

Managed to land 5th in PvE giving me all 3 covers. Too bad it wasn't for a more worthwhile character.

Will probably tank in PvP this round to lower my bracket. Sad that I have to resort to that. Also just looking at the completion rewards for next PvE. I should probably try to lower my bracket for that too...

Still, I think SHe will be all right with Thor / Daken. At least I hope!

Ponn

Banned
I was grinding till the last and Yelena, bullseye and liutenent bullshit pulled some crap out of their asses. I was only doing 1 dmg to them and only specials would hit them. If I would have won I would have been ranked 20 but got snaked by 120 points and got 21. oh well, managed to get an iron man 40.

KuroNeeko

I was grinding till the last and Yelena, bullseye and liutenent bullshit pulled some crap out of their asses. I was only doing 1 dmg to them and only specials would hit them. If I would have won I would have been ranked 20 but got snaked by 120 points and got 21. oh well, managed to get an iron man 40.

Events like these really get you hating the characters.

I already hated Juggs, but Bullseye....that bastard better not show his damn face around these parts for quite a while...lol

sibarraz

Banned
Bullseye is a great character imo if you make a good combination, his defense tiles really absorb a lot of damage, and him with daken is SUPER lethal

Spoit

Bullseye is a great character imo if you make a good combination, his defense tiles really absorb a lot of damage, and him with daken is SUPER lethal

Daken is plenty lethal by himself. As for tankines, you can easily arrange it so he tanks 2, sometimes even 3 colors and as long as there's enough blue, he regens more than patch.

Also, re: she-hulk. Note that her red is TEAM damage, so it's 3x as much as punisher, with a huge cascade to boot

Top Bottom