• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

Daken is plenty lethal by himself. As for tankines, you can easily arrange it so he tanks 2, sometimes even 3 colors and as long as there's enough blue, he regens more than patch.

Also, re: she-hulk. Note that her red is TEAM damage, so it's 3x as much as punisher, with a huge cascade to boot

I did totally miss it was team damage, my bad... which makes her a little more interesting, but still not super exciting given the changes to healing.

doesn't change the fact that it doesn't play well with the strike tiles, nor does it change the fact that overall she just doesn't feel that impressive.

again that could change when I use her.

shaowebb

Bullseye is a great character imo if you make a good combination, his defense tiles really absorb a lot of damage, and him with daken is SUPER lethal

Not really. I tried...believe me I really did. Problem is his defense tiles do NOT also lower damage from character powers meaning there are LOTS of people with powers that already one shot him guaranteed. He honestly needed them to give him Modern Hawkeye's Avoid to work considering there is no way for him to avoid any of the ways to kill him and he can't do damage or battery. He just makes things slightly slower IF he gets goin...which doesn't happen often.

Dispatch

The healing change has actually energized me, because when I'm out of health packs, I'll just stop paying for a while.

At first, I was really disappointed with the Grey Widow event, but she's actually my highest level character, and when she's paired with Thor and Daken, she works pretty well. Once I get to Sniper Rifle, she one shots the team.

shaowebb

The healing change has actually energized me, because when I'm out of health packs, I'll just stop paying for a while.

At first, I was really disappointed with the Grey Widow event, but she's actually my highest level character, and when she's paired with Thor and Daken, she works pretty well. Once I get to Sniper Rifle, she one shots the team.

Yeah Grey Widow is one of the better characters they made IMO. Mine never got enough covers to really shine though, but a high level one...watch out. She green batteries and self fuels for kill shots. I believe I got crushed fast by one rocking C. Storm/MN Mags/ G. Widow. Scary stuff.

I'm more or less looking through my roster trying to find new pairings to work on. My current hopefulls are the following

Patch/Loki/Doom
"Patch puts out a ton of strike tiles but he also aids the enemy. Loki can convert enemy tiles to friendly defense tiles by spending black and Dr. Doom turns blue into black tiles. This team could go all in for Doom attack tiles, but thats the backup plan given how fast Patch downs folks. "

Mohawk Storm/Black Panther/Thor
"Evolution of an old team. Mohawk does 20 damage for every popped environmental tile instead of the 3 she used to before though. For every 15 Environment Black Panther can lay down for the cost of a few yellow one strike tile worth up to 20 (though its worth goes up as you level all the way to 153!) . Idea is Storm uses red to fuel environment and Panther sets up Thor to deal massive damage. Environment does max at 30 so you can easily flood the board with these tiles plus Panther also offers the team defense. Mohawk wont be using her lightning because Panther is here for tiles, but should he fall I have Storm/Thor back in action to setup cascades. Core of the team though is the fact that Panther's strike tiles are easily produced thanks to M. Storm being a battery and thanks to how insanely strong they get as Panther gains levels...mine drops them on the board currently at a strength of 45 a piece...almost double what a Daken tile does."

Still working on just what I plan to do with Falcon, She Hulk, Ironman 40, Torch and Hulk. I get the feeling with a few more characters or covers I could really make them into some unique and fun stuff too.

I'm the type that has yet to pay any while playing this game. I have at least one of each character in the game and most of my two stars maxed out but I can't tell you the last time I got a 3 or 4 star character. I bet it's been over two months. I get they want you to pay and buy packs but they seem like over killing the drop rates for 3 & 4 stars.

In puzzles and dragons I have yet to pay and have some of the best monsters in the game. Just seems MPQ is too stingy and it's killing my (poor folk/too cheap player) enjoyment. Won't stop playing though :)

turnbuckle

Healing change has sealed the deal for me. I'm out. One of these days I'm gonna reinstall the game just to sell all of my roster so I don't back out of this decision.

animus82

Banned
I had to leave my other alliance with Spoit and Askani because this game became too much of a time burden.

I play super casual now and I'm looking to rejoin Gaf.

If there any space guys?

GAF-Men has an open spot. Should have two but one of our commanders hasn't logged in in about two months. If you don't log in for a month you should be auto booted.

zulux21

I had to leave my other alliance with Spoit and Askani because this game became too much of a time burden.

I play super casual now and I'm looking to rejoin Gaf.

If there any space guys?

gaf vengers is currently full, but i believe gaf-kanda has room... in general they get the same rewards anymore since there are few people that actually play seriously anymore because we have all become burnt out.

Anilones

The healing update has actually impressed me with far fewer teams including OBW. I'm playing until I use up the five heals and done.

shaowebb

Just a reminder guys...if you are on PC steam sale is up making all the deals on the steam page 33% off. If you need a slot instead of blowing $5 for like...a few hundred Gold go to the store page, get 1500 iso and like 600 hero points for $6.69

If you feel like whaling $26= like 8000iso and 2900 hero points or go full on douchebag for $67 and get 8500 hero points and 25000 iso (lol)

BTW Sentry event...I'm in. Gonna be hard though...the roster suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

lmpaler

I actually kind of like the healing changes. It makes me have to actually try now. Before I could start the PVP 1-2 before it ended and literally farm points until I got into the 7-800 range. I was always at least top 25 so when I hit within that range I would shield and be done with it.

Now it is making it much more difficult for everyone to get high ranks unless you have a good team. So while I get why people are upset, I personally find it welcoming

shaowebb

I actually kind of like the healing changes. It makes me have to actually try now. Before I could start the PVP 1-2 before it ended and literally farm points until I got into the 7-800 range. I was always at least top 25 so when I hit within that range I would shield and be done with it.

Now it is making it much more difficult for everyone to get high ranks unless you have a good team. So while I get why people are upset, I personally find it welcoming

Too bad Hot Dog still sucks.

On a fun note though...

FQMtLzX.jpg

WOO! Numbah 1 in the whole event and my bracket both so far! Played the stages down till they hit single digits. Turns out I got enough levels on the stuff in this tourney that synergy doesn't mean much. Wolvy lays down tiles and does damage. Buffed up Storm red creates cascades and does way more damage than normal and finally my Daredevil's ambush red trap tiles and blue trap tiles are decimating guys like Sentry, Ares, and the rest who are drawn to these colors. One goof and they are stunned, hit for 3300 or both.

Plus the levels on these matches are suuuuuuuuuuper low due to how few people have not only She-Hulk but anyone outside of just widow, storm and wolvy.

Oh also She-Hulk sends her regards. She said "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"
lol at her fucking audio

Ponn

Banned
I'm really new to these events. Is there a reason why the one on the right has routes with no play points yet? Are they going to be filled in later after some time or do I have to do something to make them pop? Thanks.

Spoit

Just a reminder guys...if you are on PC steam sale is up making all the deals on the steam page 33% off. If you need a slot instead of blowing $5 for like...a few hundred Gold go to the store page, get 1500 iso and like 600 hero points for $6.69

If you feel like whaling $26= like 8000iso and 2900 hero points or go full on douchebag for $67 and get 8500 hero points and 25000 iso (lol)

BTW Sentry event...I'm in. Gonna be hard though...the roster suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

It's a terrible deal. Unless you're going to go full whale and actually buy ISO. Even at 33% off the base price, you only get a pitance of ISO for the extra 33% over just buying the HP straight up.

shaowebb

#1 still. Daredevil is beasting on any team that has real folks in them and not just timer placing grunts. OBW takes care of timers and the new heal is VASTLY more useful to me.

Why?

Because the extra amount she heals is so vast that I can effectively get her going so well that they NEVER TOUCH MY REAL HEALTH IN A MATCH.

Let that sink in...healing buffed. It doesn't matter that its not permanent. The overall amount of real health I lose is now less than ever before because the amount the health buff gives is enough that my base health doesn't take more than any initial damage on my way towards popping out blue ability and then keeping it up and running.

It may just be the buffs for this event, but if so that still means that during this event I'm hardly touching heals at all so I'll abuse it while its there. Same as I'm abusing the ridiculous damage Storm is getting off her abilities with the level buff.

Spoit

It's.....exactly the same heal. You'd be leaving at full health if it weren't for it, so you're not actually gaining anything...

shaowebb

It's.....exactly the same heal. You'd be leaving at full health if it weren't for it, so you're not actually gaining anything...

Then its the buff and its only for this event then. I usually dont heal for this much so the artificial level boost is making a pretty solid impact on me. I'll just enjoy it while I can.

lmpaler

Then its the buff and its only for this event then. I usually dont heal for this much so the artificial level boost is making a pretty solid impact on me. I'll just enjoy it while I can.

Wait you can over heal past your actual health with the new healing change?

Spoit

Wait you can over heal past your actual health with the new healing change?

I'm fairly sure he's talking about going into fights at half health.

(actually there is 1 way you can: if you use it on a true healing character, they can regen up, and the shield remains at the same value, even if it pushes it over the maximum)

shaowebb

I'm fairly sure he's talking about going into fights at half health.

(actually there is 1 way you can: if you use it on a true healing character, they can regen up, and the shield remains at the same value, even if it pushes it over the maximum)

Pretty much all I see happening is this. I'm using Wolverine She Hulk and OBW in most fights and Wolverine is taking most of the abuse.

EDIT: Finished 5th. I was in first but my rewards dumped down to 65pts in the last hour from the playtime I'd given it. Still in the top 10 overall on the event though. Lookin like I should net some Sentry.Likely that progression reward She-Hulk as well.

Ponn

Banned
So I was going back and forth with one other player but I was 1st in my bracket pretty much all yesterday. I checked at 6am this morning, pumped some points in and was still 1st. Wake up at 11am and i'm freaking 8th. I try to pump some points but people are playing hard and I can't overcome them. My question is I didn't even see half of these people in the top ranked list at 6am, how are they doing that? I just don't have this much time to devote to the game, I guess i'm not going to get far in these events.

I'm really not getting pvp either. I devoted time to Blind Justice yesterday, and I realize i'm low level right now but I was able to work all the way up to 25th. I finish a match for like 20 points and come out to a message that I was defeated several times and lost over 60 points....um...what. I log in this morning and I lost 92 points, i'm now 107th. Whats the point? one step forward, 2 steps back.

KuroNeeko

She-Hulk audio is awesome! Actually getting a lot of use out of SH's blue. Sure, it's really situational, but it feels good giving up a M. Storm attack tile or converting the enemy Sentry's sacrifice tile...

Went through all the nodes and was in the top 10...lol. Guess not many people went for SH.

Tried to push into the top 25 in PvP for that double Punisher action. I was doing really well, but made the mistake of Wind Storming an enemy M. Storm without making sure it would finish her off first.

Decimated my entire team and set me back 20 rank points. :/

lmpaler

So the burn has finally overcome me. I am stepping out for awhile. I'll check back here periodically to see what's up, but I am done for awhile. See you on the forums GAF

KuroNeeko

So I was going back and forth with one other player but I was 1st in my bracket pretty much all yesterday. I checked at 6am this morning, pumped some points in and was still 1st. Wake up at 11am and i'm freaking 8th. I try to pump some points but people are playing hard and I can't overcome them. My question is I didn't even see half of these people in the top ranked list at 6am, how are they doing that? I just don't have this much time to devote to the game, I guess i'm not going to get far in these events.

I'm really not getting pvp either. I devoted time to Blind Justice yesterday, and I realize i'm low level right now but I was able to work all the way up to 25th. I finish a match for like 20 points and come out to a message that I was defeated several times and lost over 60 points....um...what. I log in this morning and I lost 92 points, i'm now 107th. Whats the point? one step forward, 2 steps back.

Xulux gave me some pretty good advice a while back.

Log in about 4 hours before the event ends. Spend an hour just earning a bunch of points. If you like where you are at the 3-hour mark, then shield up and step out. Periodically check in to see if you need to jump back in.

If you don't like where you are at the 3-hour mark, then be prepared to battle constantly for the next 3 hours or so OR just step out.

You just started, so keep your expectations low - a single 3★ cover is going to hold you back more than help at this stage in the game. Don't be afraid to take the 2★ cover or even standard token covers either.

zulux21

so they are changing the starting level on characters
my thoughts on this...
meh mostly pointless except now the provided characters in pvp events will take even longer to kill and make pvp even slower for new people...
won't change things a ton for me since I usually see max level characters for pvp anyways, thus it would take slightly longer, by my characters will be slightly stronger so it will likely balance out.

Althane

What's the best way to get Hero Coins without doing IAP?

I'm feeling the crunch on only having 5 roster spots, and not sure what I should be ditching/keeping. I like Storm (Modern) enough that I'm keeping her around, and I've got a Spiderman (Classic) that I like. My Thor (Marvel Now!) started off level 6, and I don't know when i'll get another one to populate his skills. Iron Man (Model 35) seems useful as well, but I can't seem to get his draws.

I have 3 Black Window (Modern) sitting in my "Rewards" because I can't put them, along with a Hawkeye (modern) and Wolverine (Astonishing). Not sure what to pick, and when to sell.

turnbuckle

my thoughts on this...
meh mostly pointless except now the provided characters in pvp events will take even longer to kill and make pvp even slower for new people...
won't change things a ton for me since I usually see max level characters for pvp anyways, thus it would take slightly longer, by my characters will be slightly stronger so it will likely balance out.

Another downside to this - facing higher level characters while using higher level characters will result in taking more damage (opponents hit harder) and having a larger pool of health that needs to be healed. So a hero that has a 8000 HP cap might now have a 10000 HP cap. It sounds nice at first, but I think this is another decision to spur sales of health packs.

This is another boost for whales willing to spend $ on healing. Creates a bigger separation in wait times for the haves and the have nots.

zulux21

What's the best way to get Hero Coins without doing IAP?

I'm feeling the crunch on only having 5 roster spots, and not sure what I should be ditching/keeping. I like Storm (Modern) enough that I'm keeping her around, and I've got a Spiderman (Classic) that I like. My Thor (Marvel Now!) started off level 6, and I don't know when i'll get another one to populate his skills. Iron Man (Model 35) seems useful as well, but I can't seem to get his draws.

I have 3 Black Window (Modern) sitting in my "Rewards" because I can't put them, along with a Hawkeye (modern) and Wolverine (Astonishing). Not sure what to pick, and when to sell.

best way to get hero coins without buying them...
join an alliance, also farm all of the hp out of the prologue missions.

1 star storm is a must, and 2 star thor is also a must to go with the storm, it's the most powerful team you can make early on especially on the jungle and desert environments.

1 star widow is alright but if you are tight on roster spaces not really worth it, hawkeye isn't really worth it in general. Wolverine is ok and typically worth it since he is often used for limited roster events. 1 star iron man is ok but you will be able to replace him with stuff like thor soon enough so not worth that much time or energy when it comes to leveling him up (aka I would make him level 20 or so max as just something to protect your storm a bit until you get some more thor or ares covers)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah.. 1 star storm + 2 star Thor is a combo that can you last you a considerably amount of time.

As far as HP.. prologue.. then the only other real option is joining alliance. Which might cost you real money to join... but then again.. since Kanda has died a bit.. and what seems like some changes by the dev.. the HP isn't coming in quite as easily as it was a month ago.

..but max 2 star Thor and 1 star Storm. It's a great go to.... focus on desert/jungle/(computer room that does crit drops) for PVP events.. as you can often change between Storm and Thor and wipe out opponents without taking much damage.

Fjord

my thoughts on this...

It will make me quite angry if the million ISO I've put into making all my three stars mid level is wasted because of this patch.

It will make me quite angry if the million ISO I've put into making all my three stars mid level is wasted because of this patch.

I don't see how it could be wasted, it'd just mean you have more work to do now.

EDIT: oh wait I see what you're saying, you could have gotten a bunch of those levels "free" post-patch

Spoit

I don't see how it could be wasted, it'd just mean you have more work to do now.

EDIT: oh wait I see what you're saying, you could have gotten a bunch of those levels "free" post-patch

It's not really 'free', everyone is just trasnposed up 9/25 levels, so to be as competitive with the 'free' levels youd have to spend the same

It's not really 'free', everyone is just trasnposed up 9/25 levels, so to be as competitive with the 'free' levels youd have to spend the same

Is that confirmed? All my dudes will GAIN those levels or only those at those basic levels will be raised to the new lowest possible level.

shaowebb

EVERYONE gains those levels

If I suddenly have even higher levels on my roster I can safely say I will notice a real change in damage on some of them. And yes...my Hulk will make people avoid me even more.

Also longer matches means stealth buff to Daredevil :D
The longer you fight him the worse it geeeeeets.

zulux21

If I suddenly have even higher levels on my roster I can safely say I will notice a real change in damage on some of them. And yes...my Hulk will make people avoid me even more.

Also longer matches means stealth buff to Daredevil :D
The longer you fight him the worse it geeeeeets.

Care to guess the only character you can have in your party that makes me think twice about attacking you?

Hint: it's not Hulk

It's Hood, and him with more life scares me way more then hulk with a little more life... oh no I have to hit hulk super duper hard instead of just super hard :p

zulux21

Actually more health hulk is less of a threat, since it means anger needs more to trigger

I suppose that's true, but even then anger never triggers so it doesn't matter much to me :p

In different news I will be really sad if the "bug" with modern storm today is a nerf coming to her later as they should just leave the 1 star characters alone at this point... it's not like her massive HP pool of what 1600 or something at max level is really going to allow her to break the game at later levels.

Spoit

IceIX made it sound like it was something they were considering when mohawk storm came out, but they decided against going through with.

And with 212 characters, and laken, it really doesn't take that long for match damage to start triggering anger

shaowebb

Actually more health hulk is less of a threat, since it means anger needs more to trigger

The point isn't getting anger out as a deterrent. The point is having a ridiculously heavy tank in my party when I decide to leave PVP to make people say "aint nobody got time for dat!" You drop less and get attacked less if you put crappy fights up on your last match before you go. I usually throw Hulk/Thor/Ares if allowed, but usually its not so I end up with Hulk/Thor/other or Hulk/Ares/other...whatever is healthiest.

Spoit

Meh, that's overrated. I wouldn't waste ISO on him when there are heroes that actually have good health and are actually useful, like thor or sentry

shaowebb

Meh, that's overrated. I wouldn't waste ISO on him when there are heroes that actually have good health and are actually useful, like thor or sentry

My Thor is maxed bro and I'm fishing to win more Sentry covers because he's maxed too. All I know is I never have to shield because no one wants none of a match that takes that long.

Spoit

My Thor is maxed bro and I'm fishing to win more Sentry covers because he's maxed too. All I know is I never have to shield because no one wants none of a match that takes that long.

If you sentry is maxed, why do you need more covers? With laken, he's a way bigger deterrent than hulk.

shaowebb

If you sentry is maxed, why do you need more covers? With laken, he's a way bigger deterrent than hulk.

He's maxed out with the amount of covers I have. I'm playing to get more covers to level him higher than his current max allows. Not all of us have 13 covers on every character in the game.
Sentry is a long term investment that needs more covers to happen someday. I already know how I plan to use him once I get there though. Its sort of like owning Panther. You dont really do too much till you max his covers. Same with Falcon. My Hulk still needs more covers but he has ridiculous health in the level 80ish range he's in now and thats the point. Put in a one shotter like Thor or Ares who has good health, back them with a long irritating fighter like Hulk and then leave when I have to stop playing. Folks aren't skipping me simply because of my offense which is still respectable...they're skipping me because guaranteed it will take too long and cost too much to put up with that fight compared to just blasting through another C.Storm/MN Mags team.

Top Bottom