• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Spoit

Eh, I guess if you're still in the MMR range where having a 3* in the first place is rare. Or if you have absolutely nothing else worthwhile to toss your iso into. I still say he's the single most overrated character there is, especially without 5 black, he's not really going to do anything

zulux21

IceIX made it sound like it was something they were considering when mohawk storm came out, but they decided against going through with.

And with 212 characters, and laken, it really doesn't take that long for match damage to start triggering anger

not when hulk dies in one turn >.>
I might see 10-20 anger tiles in a game... but they never trigger :p

shaowebb

not when hulk dies in one turn >.>
I might see 10-20 anger tiles in a game... but they never trigger :p

Completely different brackets. I got a level 80ish hulk. Nothing I have is over 85. I dont see triple digit folk so there isn't really any "hulk dies in one turn" theres just me, a bunch of folks all rocking cards no higher than a max level Ares and everyone deciding that its too much effort to deal with a Hulk with so much health.

Seriously, it works. I've placed plenty of times and we know this and I dont buy shields. No one fights a team that takes too long to kill. Maybe when you fight in 100+ level cover brackets yeah sure, but I dont. I don't whale and buy a ton of 10 packs. I get what I win, I occassionally use $2 from steam wallet for health near the end to push more points, and I pay for recruit slot and thats it. How am I doing? I have all the cast save like 2, not all of them have max covers, but what I have stays top in any bracket my level. I progress, I evenly level my stuff and I win.

I've been doing it for awhile by making my team when I'm ready to quit have a really healthy Hulk. If its not working at your levels then thats fine. However, I see 1 or less attacks when i do this at my bracket level. Have since Near January/February because there have been so many new cast that rather than power level anyone I've stayed at this bracket due to spreading iso amongst the new recruits..

Eh, I guess if you're still in the MMR range where having a 3* in the first place is rare. Or if you have absolutely nothing else worthwhile to toss your iso into. I still say he's the single most overrated character there is, especially without 5 black, he's not really going to do anything

Pretty sure my MMR is broken--haven't seen a character under 100 other than OBW or Ares in like 4 straight events.

Got high up in the PvP and "magically" every match has gone to shit. No matter what I do I'm given nothing but useless environment tiles that somehow set up the enemies for cascades. I really hope it's random but the way it happens in waves feels too coincidental.

Spoit

Completely different brackets. I got a level 80ish hulk. Nothing I have is over 85. I dont see triple digit folk so there isn't really any "hulk dies in one turn" theres just me, a bunch of folks all rocking cards no higher than a max level Ares and everyone deciding that its too much effort to deal with a Hulk with so much health.

Seriously, it works. I've placed plenty of times and we know this and I dont buy shields. No one fights a team that takes too long to kill. Maybe when you fight in 100+ level cover brackets yeah sure, but I dont. I don't whale and buy a ton of 10 packs. I get what I win, I occassionally use $2 from steam wallet for health near the end to push more points, and I pay for recruit slot and thats it. How am I doing? I have all the cast save like 2, not all of them have max covers, but what I have stays top in any bracket my level. I progress, I evenly level my stuff and I win.

I've been doing it for awhile by making my team when I'm ready to quit have a really healthy Hulk. If its not working at your levels then thats fine. However, I see 1 or less attacks when i do this at my bracket level. Have since Near January/February because there have been so many new cast that rather than power level anyone I've stayed at this bracket due to spreading iso amongst the new recruits..
Seriously what is with your whaling complex. I've spent a grand total of $5 on this game, to buy cover slots. It's great that it's working for you, but you must be in a fairly atypical MMR/sharding situation for it to do so so well

shaowebb

Seriously what is with your whaling complex. I've spent a grand total of $5 on this game, to buy cover slots. It's great that it's working for you, but you must be in a fairly atypical MMR/sharding situation for it to do so so well

It works so it must be a fluke? Sure.

zulux21

No one fights a team that takes too long to kill.
you shouldn't use absolutes :p
I've rarely ever cared how long it would take to kill a team, I just care how many points I would get :p

I am impressed that despite how many characters you have and how much you have won that you aren't seeing stuff over level 85 though....
I've been stuck in 100+ only zone since before I got a character up to level 100 o.o;

shaowebb

you shouldn't use absolutes :p
I've rarely ever cared how long it would take to kill a team, I just care how many points I would get :p

I am impressed that despite how many characters you have and how much you have won that you aren't seeing stuff over level 85 though....
I've been stuck in 100+ only zone since before I got a character up to level 100 o.o;

Check my roster on the Gaf-vengers alliance.I tend to try and get all the covers but then only level very particular ones with the intention of certain teams. Even then some cast I dont level beyond a certain point or I notice I start to have dramatically tougher teams. I had to be particularly careful with OBW. You want her, but if you all in on leveling her she shot my brackets up higher than any other character I leveled and used. I eventually just stopped using her because I couldn't get the balance of low level OBW right to where she'd survive off of heals consistently at my eventual rank.

Brackets are tricky. I always talk teams and strategies because generally I'm always trying to avoid going higher than I am now. Where I'm at now is easy to collect covers for but from all stories and screenshots its a nightmare just a few brackets above mine and its definitely to promote vested people into spending more.

Take my advice...don't over level. Its why I stopped using Storm/Thor. I got the balance wrong on OBW teams I was swapping to and it pushed me above Storm's survivable brackets. I've nearly pushed beyond what I'd call safe for Daken supported teams too. Thats why i'm hoping to flip to a Doom/Black Panther team soon. They aren't very leveled for me and if I can get them to a consistent level then I can flip to them without risking overleveling the wrong investment.

Spoit

Ok yeah, you do not have....very many covers. But you have a 0/5/5 punisher? I'd have suggested leveling that way before going hulk (though with how often punisher rewards occur, it's kind of surprising you don't even have 1 black)

shaowebb

#1-ed my bracket. Sitting on like 88000-ish. Bout to get my red she hulk , random drew a blue she hulk on my rewards and climbing through top 10

All is well except I have to leave to see family today. Wont get to grind.
Ok yeah, you do not have....very many covers. But you have a 0/5/5 punisher? I'd have suggested leveling that way before going hulk (though with how often punisher rewards occur, it's kind of surprising you don't even have 1 black)

sigh...What I'm doing's working. Sorry I'm using different tactics and it bothers you, but if it aint broke dont fix it and folks don't attack me, my bracket never over runs me with ridiculous opposition in PVP, and I am able to consistently (when I'm not dealing with work/College/moving etc) able to put up top score for the alliance and multiple top 5's. . If it makes you feel better I'll put some Iso on Punisher, though. He's one of a several on my level list. Black Panther was supposed to be next for my Doom/ M.Storm team though.

sibarraz

Banned
Top 2 on the last heroic, got a red wolverine x-force and a green punisher, plus a red wolvie.

Top 2 on the global bracket, hope to make it

Spoit

8800ish? I'm not entirely sure that the shulk is achievable. Maybe if you grind down to 1, but the number crunchers said that unless RBing starts kicking in like woah, there are only about 10k points on the board. And that's playing optimally, every 2.5 hours

shaowebb

8800ish? I'm not entirely sure that the shulk is achievable. Maybe if you grind down to 1, but the number crunchers said that unless RBing starts kicking in like woah, there are only about 10k points on the board. And that's playing optimally, every 2.5 hours

I only need. 8000-ish. I'm over 91,000 right now.

zulux21

I only need. 8000-ish. I'm over 91,000 right now.

I won't make it... i need 97k still :3
6a077c08a9.jpg

plus side I am 21st right now... hoping when I get home i can replay everything and get a top 100 still.

shaowebb

I won't make it... i need 97k still :3

plus side I am 21st right now... hoping when I get home i can replay everything and get a top 100 still.

Hope so. Sentry is really worth the covers and effort. If nothing else though you can swap over and push on the Doom tourney for She Hulks. She's useful in PVE and to a degree in PVP even early as she is the Anti Daken with her Blue ability. Lots of Daken in both. Course at the brackets most of you face she probably wont be safe to use for awhile outside of PVE.

I'm in the doom tourney but I aint gonna get she hulks. Gotta travel this weekend.Hopefully my wife wont have me leave when I'm close to the one She Hulk I know I can get.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm so mad I got a shit bracket for the 1st She-Hulk event.

It's killed my chance of a good rank in this event. Just too many points left on the boards.

Oh my god this is so much better on a new phone.

It was taking me 90 seconds to go from launch to match on my iphone 4....and that isn't even mentioning the slowdown. Wow.

zulux21

As long as we are in range for HP i think that we shold be fine

we should be just fine.
basically with PVE I need to decide if a top 100 or progression rewards are more important to me... this time sentry > she hulk thus I waited... next time the progression reward may be more interesting (though in general when I see an interesting progression reward I can rarely reach it because it's will be the time where basically only someone who hits the refresh every 2 hours can get it ><)

shaowebb

So did you end up getting it Shaowebb?
I'm at my family's place 2 counties away on a tablet. I had to leave around 6 so things stopped to pack and remove crap from the car so I had to cut my losses on she hulk. I was definitely on track to pull it off easily enough, though. I don't know if I stayed in 9th or not. I won't know till Sunday what I got.

zulux21

I'm still waiting for lazy 1 star

they should lazy 4 star a wolverine... in fact make it the 4 star wolverine and when the boost comes to the 4 star wolverine leave the 1 star version alone...

man it would suck so bad as the current 4 star wolverine is garbage in general.

Althane

Quite fun, overall.

I finally got my hands on some more hero coins, and got another 2 cover slots. Right now I have:

Spider-Man (Classic) - 3*, only has the blue move.
Storm (Modern) - 4/4/1, level 31
Iron Man (Model 35) - 4/3/2, level 20
Thor (Marvel NOW!) - 0/1/1, level 17
Spider-Man (Bag-Man) - 1/1/1, level 15
Wolverine (Astonishing X-men) 0/1/0, level 15
Black Widow (Modern) - 4/5, level 7

I also have the ability to recruit a Red moonstone (Dark Avengers Ms. Marvel), and a Blue Hawkeye (Modern).

Any suggestions on what to ditch for what? I don't do IAPs, so I don't know what I have the best chance of getting more covers for.

The new level adjustments make me feel like I have 3-4 very viable teams. I know nothing has really changed but I have been completely suckered back in.

Without classic Daken, so I'm only as good as the other fights allow me to be, but I seem to be holding my own.

Will try for a respectable showing in the She-Hulk event before it ends as well.

sibarraz

Banned
Will the daken requirement change for the pve? If i could use sentry or human torch I'll push more in the event, but otherwise, is no use :(

sibarraz

Banned
I'm way too behind on this PVE, but will try to get sentry at least.

At least is just for a 2 star character, so no big loss I guess.

Also, I think that the game got better with this neew update, but I know that I'll change my mind when I start facing only 3 stars characters

shaowebb

I'm way too behind on this PVE, but will try to get sentry at least.

At least is just for a 2 star character, so no big loss I guess.

Also, I think that the game got better with this neew update, but I know that I'll change my mind when I start facing only 3 stars characters

Yeah...Torch will be just another dude you see a lot after he's put in rotation. Not certain if not having him will ruin something important coming up though. If he's not put into random drops immediately after this it could seriously ruin some PVE thats about to happen for many of us.

Althane

So I'm at 7 covers possible right now, and when I try to hit the button for more space, it says I need 400 coins for 3 more spots. Is there away to not HAVE to buy a 3-slot expansion? Because goddamn, that's going to take me forever to save up.

zulux21

So I'm at 7 covers possible right now, and when I try to hit the button for more space, it says I need 400 coins for 3 more spots. Is there away to not HAVE to buy a 3-slot expansion? Because goddamn, that's going to take me forever to save up.

nope, they decided that people wanted slot buying to feel more dynamic and thus removed the ability to buy slots 8-24 not in mini packs of them.

The fans would feel that the pack of slots would make adding more characters all that more awesome, and would fall to their knees and thank them for limiting their choice as it is obviously better to only be able to buy packs since it obviously only makes the game better and doesn't try to force players to buy hP to save character covers at all...

btw... aside from the fall to the knees to thank them part most of that is near word for word what they said as to why they changed it to be like that.

Althane

nope, they decided that people wanted slot buying to feel more dynamic and thus removed the ability to buy slots 8-24 not in mini packs of them.

The fans would feel that the pack of slots would make adding more characters all that more awesome, and would fall to their knees and thank them for limiting their choice as it is obviously better to only be able to buy packs since it obviously only makes the game better and doesn't try to force players to buy hP to save character covers at all...

btw... aside from the fall to the knees to thank them part most of that is near word for word what they said as to why they changed it to be like that.

Wellll, since I've got no interest in buying IAPs, looks like I'll just have to deal with the slow upgrades then.

Not that I've noticed anything else worth spending hP on, really. 1 star storm seems really, really good, between her and Iron Man, and my level 40 Spidey, I am dealing alright except for when I run into the level 100+ teams. (Which hurt like a mofo)

Edit: Reason I'm wondering is that I've got a Moonstone (Dark Avengers) that expires in a day, and wanan know if she's worth keeping around, or if I should sell her.

Edit: Reason I'm wondering is that I've got a Moonstone (Dark Avengers) that expires in a day, and wanan know if she's worth keeping around, or if I should sell her.

I never advocate selling characters, but if you are opposed to buying slots Moonstone can probably go. I have 42 characters and I have never used her of my own accord...not once.

kswiston

Sorry for my shitty PVP showing this season GAF-vengers. I went from being any to handle max 2* teams pretty easily, to instantly getting matched with maxed 3* teams this season and getting my ass handed to me. I only have one 3* character over 100, and that's only because they gave me 40 free levels...

With my inability to get much higher than 300 pts in PVP, and their changes to how much ISO we get in PVP/PVE (IE they made it shittier, which is the only thing these devs know how to do when they "balance" things), I don't even get enough of that to work up my team.

At least my horrid placing in a few PVE events has me in more reasonable brackets now.

zulux21

moonstone is one of the least usable characters in the game. Her red move is OK but easily outdone by most of the rest of the red moves in the game... and her other two moves are garbage due to either costing to much or being to random.

Spoit

DIdn't they just increase the amount of ISO from pvp though? Even if you ignore the massive boost to top 5 finishes, while the covers might theoretically average out to 105ish, it sure feels like in actual practice the addition of the 250 from 2* fights makes them a lot more rewarding in the past

Top Bottom