• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

You can buy only one slot after 24 right?

i think it's number 24 that that happens again yeah, after so long you can buy them one at a time again.

edit: there will likely be an opening in gafvegers soon, my wife is pretty much done with the game and will likely quit soon.

Woo, passed 42,000 in the Simulator and got myself my first Sentry. Currently sitting in 11th and 7th in the subevents right now. Will do more in the morning and we'll see where I finish. Should be good overall in the event as well.

NineH

i think it's number 24 that that happens again yeah, after so long you can buy them one at a time again.

edit: there will likely be an opening in gafvegers soon, my wife is pretty much done with the game and will likely quit soon.

If you guys are taking it easy, I'd like to be back in gafvengers. If nothing else, I'll get some free iso and stuff. I'm MPQ Scruffy in the game.

shaowebb

Put in some matches on PVE to just make certain I have a cover for the next event. I get the feeling Torch wont be in the random 2star recruit token lineup immediately for some reason...if I'm right it could be important to not pass on this event entirely. I'm gonna last minute push for stuff. Should be easy considering I only need like top 100 to get it.

Plus I can get some more iso this way fairly quickly. I got several folks I'm power leveling that still need worked on. Usually I just lightning round for the fast iso gains, but this works too.

kswiston

guys, I had to start working full time this day, I feel like I should leave gaf-vengers to let a spot open.

sorry guys

I'd leave if you aren't going to at least log in most days, but at this point it's not like we are full of powerhouses. Only 16 people played yesterday.

Has it been for sure confirmed that they are nerfing classic Mags?

zulux21

I'd leave if you aren't going to at least log in most days, but at this point it's not like we are full of powerhouses. Only 16 people played yesterday.

Has it been for sure confirmed that they are nerfing classic Mags?

it's been confirmed and confirmed and confirmed and confirmed... and I think even confirmed again...

last time table has it coming in 5-20 days.

shaowebb

it's been confirmed and confirmed and confirmed and confirmed... and I think even confirmed again...

last time table has it coming in 5-20 days.

Fun while it lasted. He's a big cover card for me. BTW did they offer the sell of thing with Spidey when they nerfed him like they did with the Thor/Verine patch?

zulux21

Fun while it lasted. He's a big cover card for me. BTW did they offer the sell of thing with Spidey when they nerfed him like they did with the Thor/Verine patch?

sorta.... spidey had an increased sale amount but it was not nearly as good as the thor/verine sale amount... if I recall right the iso was about the same but the HP was barely anything.... but my spidey also wasn't super leveled up so perhaps it was just that (but I always lean towards these developers skimping out on stuff)

Spoit

IIRC, even if he was maxed, it still wasn't enough to buy even 2 covers. Even if the red and blue are funbalanced to the ground, cmags will still be better than bagman 2.0, because I doubt the purple will be nerfed as well

zulux21

IIRC, even if he was maxed, it still wasn't enough to buy even 2 covers. Even if the red and blue are funbalanced to the ground, cmags will still be better than bagman 2.0, because I doubt the purple will be nerfed as well

while I agree that cmags will be better than bagman 2.0, I think the purple will have it's damage cut in at least half... and in general you won't want to play him... as it's becoming more and more clear that their goal isn't to balance the game, but to make the old characters obsolete so they can continue to release new characters and make people want them.

Heck I am half expecting next year for them to start releasing new versions of nerfed characters that are similar to their prenerf state given how lazy they are and how they know that would make people buy them again.

shaowebb

earned my sentry cover and I'd have to fall over 120 slots to not get a torch for next event so I'm packing it in for tonight.

zulux21

hmmm I can't even be bothered to be motivated to climb past 300 and some points to line myself up to get the 10 pack since even if i grinded up o 750 in this pvp I would need to in the next one too both of which have absolutely garbage rewards and then still get 500 or so in shield... who knows maybe I will get bored and grind shield at some point and that will get me there.

Spoit

hmmm I can't even be bothered to be motivated to climb past 300 and some points to line myself up to get the 10 pack since even if i grinded up o 750 in this pvp I would need to in the next one too both of which have absolutely garbage rewards and then still get 500 or so in shield... who knows maybe I will get bored and grind shield at some point and that will get me there.

Up to the thousands is pretty easy in shield. It's only near 2k that you'd probably be running into 3* teams

shaowebb

Popped back in and put in a few more matches. Should be high enough to guarantee a few cover randoms alongside of a Torch to insure next event is good to go.

zulux21

Up to the thousands is pretty easy in shield. It's only near 2k that you'd probably be running into 3* teams

the only time I don't see 3* teams anymore is when I hit 500+ points in pvp... then all of a sudden they become 2* teams usually barely worth any points :/

heck... I have 49 points there right now..
starting team
skip 1
skip 2
no skip 3 as I want to kill the 50 point team there, but yeah.... I don't really face 2* teams anymore... It's part of the reason the game feels like such a grind anymore... I have to repeatedly take down 30k worth of health which takes around 2-4 min per team usually thus multiply that time 10 matches to get to 300 points and I am looking at a half hour commitment for each PVP to get to a token that will give me a 2 star.

As for PVE I have the choice of going after the progression rewards or the top prizes, not both... as if I go for top prizes i need to wait for the last day and can't get progression rewards, and if I want progression rewards I enter right away but fall behind because I have a life beyond MPQ :/

I'll still likely put in a little time in both though (apparently enough to be middle of the pack for gafvengers lol)

shaowebb

Got 2 covers for the new torch, drew a red cover for the 3 star Torch off a random (first 3 star in awhile) and earned that other Sentry cover last night. Not bad.

shaowebb

Just did a testrun on some of the derps in this PVE since it doesn't really seem to be one worth going crazy for. Figured it'd be a good testing ground for experimental teams.

Anyhow my dry run was for my Panther/Storm/Thor team structure.

Idea is early round to use Thor to load Storm for the old "storm/thor cascade". This is where you use Thor red/yellow to load Storm for her Green Lightning and red environmental tile clearing and get a ton of cascades.

This builds AP for the team's mid to late game strategy...which is honestly only a few turns in. The idea is to load up via the old Storm/Thor stuff a TON of environmental tiles for Black Panther. Panther uses his yellow ability to put some insanely strong strike attack tiles on the board so that your team hits for more, but he only places one per 15 environmental AP. In a few turns of Storm/Thor though I got like...80 some Environmental AP since they count for way more than normal AP tiles per every one popped.

The results? I had 5 tiles on the board and popping 3 green tiles with Thor symbols which normally did 183 now did around 633.

From here on out you only use Storm for Red Environmental tile clearing and green is used to Call the Storm. The whole game you get to use Blue for Defense tiles and Black for attcks with Panther.

My dry run worked out really fast and really well. The goal is to get covers on Mohawk Storm and Lazy Thor so that they can be paired with Panther to make a really evil 3 star only team that has great synergy, and more speed than a Storm/Thor normally would. Only color I can't use is purple with this team and the rest of the colors I generally have option selects with.

Dry run worked with 2 star Storm/Thor. Now if the game would just drop some damned 3 star covers more than once every month.

Sitting in 9th in my PvE event bracket currently, just topped 10k in points. Using mainly my standard Lazy Cap/OBW/Hulk team, though the latter two can be switched for basically anyone. I needs me another yellow lazy Cap cover, or two.

shaowebb

I've got plenty of Lazy Cap covers at the moment so since I got a few hours today to myself I'm playing every other hour in Krakadoom to see if I can't get some more covers for Ironman 40...I think I can use him to battery some other ideas I got pretty well.

Also I'm rather sad they didn't force level Venom when they did the level shift. He's actually pretty good beyond the level 40 cap from what I've noticed in PVE. It'd be nice to see a 3 star of him or something later on. Pink and Black are good together. He gets a lot of annoying hits in on PVE and I'd like to see him higher with maybe a third ability.

Heck it'd be nice to see any Spiderman love. Imagine Carnage infecting the board.

I've got plenty of Lazy Cap covers at the moment so since I got a few hours today to myself I'm playing every other hour in Krakadoom to see if I can't get some more covers for Ironman 40...I think I can use him to battery some other ideas I got pretty well.

40 works great with my Patch. Juice up 40 so he can recharge, filling Patches Red and Green. Hit the weaker enemy with green, stronger enemy with red (which will almost always kill them, depending on who your 3rd is). After that you can finish off the first, or make very short work of the third. A good 3rd teammate for me has been LCap since you charge up his blue and have his red as a fallback if the charge didn't juice up Patch enough. Torch could also be a great substitute.

This strategy changes depending on levels though. It almost entirely relies on getting yellows in my case. Since 40 has most of the tiles and I need him stunned to give the board to Patch. So luck can bit you in the ass there.

shaowebb

40 works great with my Patch. Juice up 40 so he can recharge, filling Patches Red and Green. Hit the weaker enemy with green, stronger enemy with red (which will almost always kill them, depending on who your 3rd is). After that you can finish off the first, or make very short work of the third. A good 3rd teammate for me has been LCap since you charge up his blue and have his red as a fallback if the charge didn't juice up Patch enough. Torch could also be a great substitute.

This strategy changes depending on levels though. It almost entirely relies on getting yellows in my case. Since 40 has most of the tiles and I need him stunned to give the board to Patch. So luck can bit you in the ass there.

Watched a lot of EVO. Dealt with other stuff. Life happens and EVO happens once a year. I'm in 31st...still getting a cover for now. It'll likely shift as the gap is HIGH in the rank and I could drop hard fast. Either way I'm done for now. Let the chips go where they may.

I think I'm 8th in the overall Hunt event right now. Hope I can get some of those sweet, sweet lazy Daken covers in the Heavy Metal PvP tomorrow, too. I haven't gotten one of those yet.

I wish GAF-kanda was more active, too.

shaowebb

I'm staying high pretty easy in the Heavy Metal event. I got 3 yellow a blue and red on Ironman 40 so he's in the 100's for the event and playing battery well to Magneto Ares. Not the best built team for synergy but it covers a lot of colors and its one of the fastest with a good battery so I pull points in a hurry. Currently in 2nd. Should get that Laken I missed out on.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Are there any Alliances or folks looking for Alliances on this? Went ahead and made a GAFDoopBrigade alliance in the game, since I'm having trouble finding daily players worth a darn.

Any idea why I'm not able to level up my 3 star characters? Tried Spidey and 3 start Thor, but it just says 0/0 instead of how much it should take top get top next level. I'm nowhere near the limit now.

Edit: I can level IM40 fine. Is this because they're about to Nerf some characters?

Spoit

Any idea why I'm not able to level up my 3 star characters? Tried Spidey and 3 start Thor, but it just says 0/0 instead of how much it should take top get top next level. I'm nowhere near the limit now.

Edit: I can level IM40 fine. Is this because they're about to Nerf some characters?

Are you soft caped? i.e. don't have all the covers. Because each cover unlocks more levels for you to buy

I wish IM40 was boosted in every PvP :). I have him at 5-4-2 and over level 100 so he was a beast in this last event. Paired with OBW and MNMags there were times I could get his blue charged by like the 3rd or 4th turn and wipe out pretty much any team I was up against (I skipped the monster teams where all 3 were over 100). If not for being at work - and for those dang changes to healing - this would have been an event I would have had a chance to finish very high. When I stopped I was in 18th but we'll see where I actually ended up.

Balance of Power sounds interesting. The same team I just used could end up being viable.

Are you soft caped? i.e. don't have all the covers. Because each cover unlocks more levels for you to buy

No, not soft capped.

Now it is showing a negative number for xp needed, and I bring that up to zero to gain a level. Very odd. At least it is working now.

Ugh, do I want Psylocke? Is it worth fighting hard in this tourney? I only have one 1* character!

shaowebb

Balance of power is good. Been playing with folks. Juggernaut OBW Ares is a wrecking machine. Daken is also AMAZING for it given every 3 tiles popped hits for like a grand.

Biggest issue is the damage output is so high and fast that there is no getting out clean. You'll blow through a lot of heals chasing this one. Juggernaut proves he needs a 3 star variant with this though. Great stuff outta him.

Also VENOM. His stuns are fast and he hits hard. He's doin pretty decent here.

Anybody tried Bullseye yet? With this much health he might actually be good for something.

Really wish I had more one-stars! You're right about the need to heal. I guess I'm going to have to "slow burn" this one and just pop in every few hours to earn some points.

shaowebb

Ahahahaha! Hooooooly shit. Bullseyes everywhere now. I was right on the money with that one. With enough health he's actually good and the event hits so hard on damage its the only way to keep things going. I'm seeing folks run stun lock teams now with Bullseye. Lots of Venoms, OBW for the meter farm and even some old school classic widow on my bracket making a return now. OBW/Venom/Bullseye seems to be pretty popular at the moment. Sold mine long ago for the slot to get some of that new blood in there. Have fun with this one guys.

Name of the game is meter gimp to avoid the big ones and bullseye to eliminate the small ones.

I'm currently going with Juggernaut, Venom and Bullseye, but considering chucking in Daken due to the healing passive.

Daken worked REALLY well for me. He stayed healthy between rounds because he had legit heals and his tiles hit for 4 digits every turn. I'm betting if you ran Daken , Wolverine, and Bullseye you could get some long term play going simply by your ability to ignore the lasting effects of all these high level attacks.

Going to place pretty high in The Hunt. Got all the reward tiers as the event went on, too.

Not very interested in this Balance of Power event, though. I just tried it out and I can't sit and watch my teams drop like flies without wanting to quit, so nope, not gonna do it.

I don't particularly care for Psylocke covers anyway.

zulux21

so... new news.
first off 3 star daken is getting a nerf
his strike tiles are going to go from 2 x 68 to 2 x 46

second off 2 star daken is getting a buff (sorta)
since he will get the blue move added he will be able to get to level 94 which even with the nerf to strike tiles makes him go from 2 x 28 to just one 46 strike tile (which is debatable if it's a buff since it's the same amount, but teaming with falcon works better with less tiles, plus with 2 x it's not that uncommon to fill the tiles up with your strike tiles)

finally... sexy new character is coming...
Captain Marvel (Modern)
and she sounds interesting to me.
72f271c624.png

f2343e1b76.png

861ebc422a.png

Her red move while not high damaging could be quite useful against certain enemies as destroying protect tiles can be nice
Her black isn't amazing, but it's decent damage plus a stun.
Her yellow passive is alright, as it will trigger and give her AP to use her other moves... I do wish that it didn't get harder to trigger the higher level she got though.

I don't expect her to be a top tier character, but she is at least a little different and could be interesting to play, especially if we have an event with a ton of bulleyes everywhere.

Spoit

Eh, it'd only be useful in like, this one-off event. Otherwise, protect tiles are either strong singleton's, which can be targeted by cmags or whatever, or a bunch of tiny ones that are not even much of a speedbump.

Need to wait and see, but IMO she's even worse than she-hulk. Which is saying something

shaowebb

so... new news.
first off 3 star daken is getting a nerf
his strike tiles are going to go from 2 x 68 to 2 x 46

second off 2 star daken is getting a buff (sorta)
since he will get the blue move added he will be able to get to level 94 which even with the nerf to strike tiles makes him go from 2 x 28 to just one 46 strike tile (which is debatable if it's a buff since it's the same amount, but teaming with falcon works better with less tiles, plus with 2 x it's not that uncommon to fill the tiles up with your strike tiles)

finally... sexy new character is coming...
Captain Marvel (Modern)
and she sounds interesting to me.

Her red move while not high damaging could be quite useful against certain enemies as destroying protect tiles can be nice
Her black isn't amazing, but it's decent damage plus a stun.
Her yellow passive is alright, as it will trigger and give her AP to use her other moves... I do wish that it didn't get harder to trigger the higher level she got though.

I don't expect her to be a top tier character, but she is at least a little different and could be interesting to play, especially if we have an event with a ton of bulleyes everywhere.
Yellow 4 cover is how I plan to build that if I get her. I could use her to setup a few things.

shaowebb

Who cares it's captain marvel
yayyyyyyy

They gotta figure out how to get the story into space really soon so we can get some GotG characs

Thank God its Carol...I was afraid it was gonna be the shapeshifter 16 year old Marvel is pushing now who reminds me of reading Runaways. She has a tendency to do the whole "swolen fists and limbs" style of fighting that looks all goofy.
n7VM9Ff.png

zulux21

Eh, it'd only be useful in like, this one-off event. Otherwise, protect tiles are either strong singleton's, which can be targeted by cmags or whatever, or a bunch of tiny ones that are not even much of a speedbump.

Need to wait and see, but IMO she's even worse than she-hulk. Which is saying something

you really think CMAGs will be remotely useful to use for stuff like that when he gets the nerf hammer in the next few days/week?

Top Bottom