• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Thank God its Carol...I was afraid it was gonna be the shapeshifter 16 year old Marvel is pushing now who reminds me of reading Runaways. She has a tendency to do the whole "swolen fists and limbs" style of fighting that looks all goofy.
n7VM9Ff.png

Reminding you of Runaways is….bad?

shaowebb

Reminding you of Runaways is….bad?

Runaways isn't bad, but thats not exactly what Ms Marvel was ever about. She was sorta the badass of the Marvel women and never really a "coming of age" heroine with awkward moments. The Marvel Wonder Woman in terms of her scale of fights. This one doesn't really exude strength, confidence, and a powerset meant to take on the big stuff. She's just a coming of age character who I feel should have been given her own gimmick.

But hey thats marvel. New black hero? Nah...he's ultimates Spiderman. New Female hero? Nah thats Thor, or that new Venom girl, or the new Ghost Rider...I just wish Marvel would respect characters enough to give them their own identity. If you want more female or ethnic characters then don't disrespect the folks reading by making them a cheap knockoff of some other character. At least Ms. Marvel has her own powerset I guess, but they really need to stop franchising on other Character names and identities because it just hurts new characters and makes them come across as complete demographic pandering wannabes.

New Ms. Marvel just needs her own gimmick. Carol is Ms Marvel.

Runaways isn't bad, but thats not exactly what Ms Marvel was ever about. She was sorta the badass of the Marvel women and never really a "coming of age" heroine with awkward moments. The Marvel Wonder Woman in terms of her scale of fights. This one doesn't really exude strength, confidence, and a powerset meant to take on the big stuff. She's just a coming of age character who I feel should have been given her own gimmick.

But hey thats marvel. New black hero? Nah...he's ultimates Spiderman. New Female hero? Nah thats Thor, or that new Venom girl, or the new Ghost Rider...I just wish Marvel would respect characters enough to give them their own identity. If you want more female or ethnic characters then don't disrespect the folks reading by making them a cheap knockoff of some other character. At least Ms. Marvel has her own powerset I guess, but they really need to stop franchising on other Character names and identities because it just hurts new characters and makes them come across as complete demographic pandering wannabes.

New Ms. Marvel just needs her own gimmick. Carol is Ms Marvel.

I disagree with pretty much all of this, but I can see the argument.

I think Captain Marvel is a much better identity than "Ms." no matter who it is. I also think Super Hero names are so benign they shouldn't really be tethered to a single charac. Green Lantern? Captain America? Superman? Those could and should be anyone. George Washington isn't The President.

I refreshed MPQ at like 12:00:16 just to see if the PVE had launched.

It had, but I think I have a problem.

(It's an Unstable ISO replay, BTW. Captain Marvel is award for Top 200 Player, Top 100 Alliance)

shaowebb

I disagree with pretty much all of this, but I can see the argument.

I think Captain Marvel is a much better identity than "Ms." no matter who it is. I also think Super Hero names are so benign they shouldn't really be tethered to a single charac. Green Lantern? Captain America? Superman? Those could and should be anyone. George Washington isn't The President.

Didn't work for Batman when they wanted someone else to be Batman or Superman when they killed him and made like 4 other Supermen to replace him. The Green Lantern's are a corp not a man and were always a story of a whole group with that power so they're fine. Captain America and Thor though...yeah thats like Batman. Those aren't mantles you hand down...those are stories. Captain America is a story of the little guy standing up to defend freedom from stronger intimidating foes. Thor is the story of a warrior driven by valor and pride to seek out stronger foes and punish the wicked. Those aren't mantles...they are entire personas and that isn't something you hand down. You won't see this one go over well. Plus ask people who Spiderman is...no one will be able to remember any name besides Peter Parker unless they are really really following this stuff.

All I'm saying is if you want to lure in more of a demographic then you should respect them enough to make a new hero or elevate the worth of someone you have to actually mean something. Anything else is just someone literally trying to "live up to their predecessor". It seldom works. Honestly I can't even remember a single time its stuck.

shaowebb

I'm a bit out of the loop, did marvel change captain america and thor?
What follows is the answer to your question and a lot of offtopic bitching by me. I get that way over writers and superheroes sometimes.

Anyhow carry on.
Captain America had the super soldier serum in his body "deactivated" and now Falcon is the New Captain America.
Thor is now a woman. Some new lady who receives his power...you know because they didn't already try this sort of thing with Valkyrie or with Loki to try and get folks more interested in his stuff already.

Basically Marvel wants to pull in a more diverse demographic which is good and they now have a new Avengers team that is less than 40% white male. This is also good...however, they aren't really doing anything to step up black heroes or female heroes. They are just trying to shove minority groups into the title of popular characters in hopes it rubs off and makes them a hit with a new demographic. This pretty much makes what they are trying to do into a really obvious and irritating joke to that new demographic. Hey guys want heroes that are more diverse? How about if we just half ass it.

Marvel: "Hey minority groups we lack sales with. Want some heroes you can relate to that are cool? How about if we just have some folks pretend to be the white heroes that have an established fanbase so we don't have to work at creating any new ones and when we inevitably change them back from the diverse group we lured you in with you can go along and like the old heroes like the rest okay..."

Pretty much a copout. If they really respected their new demographic they wouldn't insult their intelligence like this. Especially with how unlikely this shit is to stick at all. They'd legitimately try to write some real villains and such for characters who were their own hero with their own powers and history to make them become memorable lasting icons. Instead they franchised out popular heroes and are using them to try and give a boost to folks. They could have easily boosted Falcon with a redesign after that movie at least. He was now known and pretty cool in the public's eye. Instead they now got him trying to "fill in and live up to someone else's legacy." How bout becoming your own legacy and setting your own bar for others to live up to?Female Thor is just lazy as hell honestly...think of how awkward its going to be when someone has to call a girl THOR. If I did that in public the name is so synonymous with male that it'd be like telling a girl she looked like Hulk Hogan. The name just wont work no matter if they give her the powers. It just sounds too wrong.

Overall, I'm more than miffed. I really REALLY push for more diverse heroes, but everytime Marvel goes for it they do it in the laziest and most belittling way they can...by not actually writing them. By just plain giving them someone else's name and comic without allowing them to have their own legacy and identity.

For God's sake they created The Sentry out of nothing! It can be done. They went too far with him eventually but they can indeed write complex characters and new heroes. The trick is don't try to think of "how to create an ethnic hero" just think of how to make a hero and then change their gender or ethnicity and go along with the character concept as planned. But no...they wont make any new heroes and fill the Avengers with potentially new legacies. They just flip the genders and titles of old mainstay Avengers onto new folks so the Avengers still have the "old lineup" but with a new twist...thats really lazy and more than a little insulting to both the new demographic and the old ones.

*grumble grumble feeling intelligence insulted by lack of real effort grumble grumble*

Finally got my last cover for Hulk and Loki, and with some grinding I'll get my last Patch cover too. Also nabbed a couple Psylocke covers and have a Steve Rogers down the line if I grind hard enough.

Had a terrible drought for a while though. I think I went through over 25 heroic covers in a row without a single 3*, and now I'm getting all kinds of cool covers.

shaowebb

Finally got my last cover for Hulk and Loki, and with some grinding I'll get my last Patch cover too. Also nabbed a couple Psylocke covers and have a Steve Rogers down the line if I grind hard enough.

Had a terrible drought for a while though. I think I went through over 25 heroic covers in a row without a single 3*, and now I'm getting all kinds of cool covers.

Hopefully they turn the yield rate up a little higher. Its kind of jank now with how many cards are 3 star and how few you ever see anymore.
Also I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having just fooling around in this Captain Marvel event with dumb teams given how easy the PVE is. Im using Loki Doom and its actually been pretty entertaining.

zulux21

Hopefully they turn the yield rate up a little higher. Its kind of jank now with how many cards are 3 star and how few you ever see anymore.

i've gotten 3 stars with like 25% of my heroic tokens in the last two weeks... and a few off my standards...
they have all been punisher, hulk and patch though... the three that I have max covers in the order I want them to be :/

Also I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having just fooling around in this Captain Marvel event with dumb teams given how easy the PVE is. Im using Loki Doom and its actually been pretty entertaining.

Loki has always been great. Team him up with Patch and you can pretty much guarantee a win if you pop your black after his green. If you're playing non-hero enemies, he's also one of the best for knocking out countdown tiles. He'd be part of my main team if he actually had a third power, and didn't get killed so quickly.

Spoit

Loki has always been great. Team him up with Patch and you can pretty much guarantee a win if you pop your black after his green. If you're playing non-hero enemies, he's also one of the best for knocking out countdown tiles. He'd be part of my main team if he actually had a third power, and didn't get killed so quickly.

Of course, if you have that much black, you can pretty much end the game with BP. And that's foolproof for the AI to pull off too, unlike loki.

OBW is the best for countdown tiles anyway

Of course, if you have that much black, you can pretty much end the game with BP. And that's foolproof for the AI to pull off too, unlike loki.

OBW is the best for countdown tiles anyway

Luck of the draw, I don't have BP that high. Doesn't change Loki either way, he's still cool. And I normally combine him with OBW vs countdown tiles. They work well together.

With this event I've found a really good team in Lazy Cap, Classic Magneto and either OBW or Classic Storm.

My Cap is already Lv 140, so the event buff means he can hit for 5500 in one shot, and then with 11,000 health he can tank for the whole team. OBW can delay countdowns, or if we don't have quite enough, Magneto can change any tiles to blue protect tiles.

It works out pretty well, and I've been sitting at 17th or so for a while now. Bring me some Captain Marvel!

shaowebb

With this event I've found a really good team in Lazy Cap, Classic Magneto and either OBW or Classic Storm.

My Cap is already Lv 140, so the event buff means he can hit for 5500 in one shot, and then with 11,000 health he can tank for the whole team. OBW can delay countdowns, or if we don't have quite enough, Magneto can change any tiles to blue protect tiles.

It works out pretty well, and I've been sitting at 17th or so for a while now. Bring me some Captain Marvel!

For this event I'd rock OBW over Storm. She'll minimize your losses per match with the heal and screw over all the timers you keep seeing. Especially that one today with Maggia Boss and Sniper sitting high over level 222. Plus she'll wreck the opponents meter and allow your Cap to use all his sexy yet expensive tools. Honestly thats the general go to Cap team to use given MN is your solid Blue Battery and ...well...pretty much the only one. In other events I've used Cap Thor to gift him red, but thats not really on deck for this event given the buffs the other team gets.

Honestly its how they choose who gets buffed for events IMO. They pick someone to showcase and boost the cast they feel make some of the better teams for them. Helps to encourage diversity training in the players to keep their PVP interesting on the market.

OBW is definitely a pretty solid choice over Storm, I just would use Storm when I've run out of heals or something.

Currently sitting 1st in my bracket for Unstable Iso, and might finish a solid 8th in the Fresh Cut tourney, netting me Iso courtesy of Cap covers (I have all the covers, so I'll just be selling my winnings).

Really hoping I stay at the top for Unstable Iso, though, I haven't placed this high in a new character event before.

shaowebb

OBW is definitely a pretty solid choice over Storm, I just would use Storm when I've run out of heals or something.

Currently sitting 1st in my bracket for Unstable Iso, and might finish a solid 8th in the Fresh Cut tourney, netting me Iso courtesy of Cap covers (I have all the covers, so I'll just be selling my winnings).

Really hoping I stay at the top for Unstable Iso, though, I haven't placed this high in a new character event before.

I'm pretty well dead and know it. I'm moving before this tourney ends so I wont be around to finish it and my brackets pretty crazy at the moment regardless so I'm just messing around and testing character combinations.

I likely wont get to play again after tomorrow till next wednesday so it looks like I'll be dead during the inevitable Captain Marvel event they'll push next.

ScrubJay

All these thugs and muscles just kill the tournament for me. They just end things about turn 4 or 5. Nothing I can do when their attacks hit me for 2000 points a turn.

^ lololol

With these high damage fights (Daken, Bullseye, Thug or whoever), I'm finding my Cap/OBW/Hulk team kicks serious ass, even without boosts (which I do use rather frequently).

Hulk gets in the way of many Daken-powered enemy matches, then gathers upwards of 20 green AP for a clapfest. Those trigger cascades and get my Cap's red attack ready, and then OBW can delay any timers.

Can usually come out unscathed from most fights.

Ending the night 4th in the bracket.

Dalek

I'm fairly new to the game-pretty much just starting-when I do these Lightning Round events, it will show you that you have a chance to win: and it will show various cards like Astonishing X-Men Wolverine, Captain America, etc.

I never get these-I only ever get crystals. Are the covers really that rare?

I really want that Astonishing X-Men Wolverine

zulux21

I'm fairly new to the game-pretty much just starting-when I do these Lightning Round events, it will show you that you have a chance to win: and it will show various cards like Astonishing X-Men Wolverine, Captain America, etc.

I never get these-I only ever get crystals. Are the covers really that rare?

I really want that Astonishing X-Men Wolverine
the covers just come up randomly, they are rareish, but on my climb to 600 points I got 6 of them (so 6 out of 25 or so matches)

Geeze that's a ridiculously easy bracket. Mine was 1k for just top 10 (1.2k for top 5)

yeah, I was just going to do the 500 to get the 2 star cover (since i didn't have one and wasn't sure if it was needed for the current pve) but when I got there I was in second already so I said screw it and went for first lol.

I guess there is a plus to barely playing and just getting the dailys for a few weeks.

komarkaze

I got 671 and that was enough to barely keep me from falling out of the top 100. I had to use a shield twice in the last two hours just to maintain my standing.

Why did they change the event endings to 1 hour later than normal? I much preferred 12 am/pm cut offs. That extra hour screws up my ability to stay in a good position.

Also, my 3 star Captain America is shaping up nicely with these events with a 2/3/3 build. Is it wise to sell off my 2 star Captain America 3/5/5?

zulux21

I got 671 and that was enough to barely keep me from falling out of the top 100. I had to use a shield twice in the last two hours just to maintain my standing.

Why did they change the event endings to 1 hour later than normal? I much preferred 12 am/pm cut offs. That extra hour screws up my ability to stay in a good position.

Also, my 3 star Captain America is shaping up nicely with these events with a 2/3/3 build. Is it wise to sell off my 2 star Captain America 3/5/5?

not sure why they changed it... if it was for europe people 3 hours would have made more since instead of 1 (aka ending at 3pm and 3 am eastern as that would make it 8pm and 8pm for the uk)

on the flip side this means that I now have 12pm and 12am end times which the 12pm end times still aren't good when I work... and the 12am end times are worse as 7:30 to 11 was plenty of time for an event... now if I have to work early the next day I would have to stay up until 12am instead of 11pm...

to be fair I am only going after characters I like anymore though, so I am not playing nearly as much (and it's actually slightly fun again :p)

My 2-star original Cap is at the bottom of my roster. 3-star Cap is at the very top. So good.

Aiming for top 20, would get me one of each Captain Marvel cover. With 3 minutes left, I'm at 15th, and it's gonna be really really close.

Can't do any more fights either, my roster is a bit depleted and have no health packs. Here's hoping, I worked hard on this event.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wonder what GotG cover we'll get, and what colours it will have.

Will it be Red/Yellow/Green, or Red/Yellow/X? Perhaps Red/Green/X?

zulux21

darn it... I forgot about the event going on and only remembered with 18 min to go... had I remembered with about 25 min to go I could have gotten in the top 200 for the cover... instead I ended at 256 :/ with a mere 15.5k points in 18 min ...

(I didn't get into a nice fresh bracket, that was clear, the top people had over 60k when I started lol)

Hot damn, 19th place with 63,000+ pts, hahaha. And only by 80 points, too.

Now to place in the Black Panther tourney so I can get some much-needed Sentry covers.

zulux21

RIP environment titles and all versions of storm
RIP dark reign storyline
bleh deadpool
and bow down to our new master black panther @_@

zulux21

new patch detailed at comic con

and dead pool

enviroment tiles will be gone in general replaced with a new consumable that doesn't sound that great

storm gets changed and her new skill sounds absolutely terrible so with the nerf to green and just hailstorm she isn't very interesting anymore... I suppose there is at least still the two star storm which I forgot.

and panther seems to get a boost from this as he now always places 3 strike tiles that are stronger than his previous tiles.

They need more 1 & 2 star heroes for us poor folk who can't buy packs. I haven't gotten a 3 or 4 star in forever. Still having fun though. I just want tons more characters. They are doing pretty good lately though. I just want them to be completely new characters not 12 wolverines and 7 storms.

zulux21

I'm posting from a tablet still 2 days from PC Internet. ..is Deadpool an event Goin on now or not?

nah, I believe that was august 1st.
july 29th is the last time 1/3 star storm will be decent though (to be fair there is a chance that the team up thing will be ok and her skill getting 6/7 ap will be ok... it's more just removing that red move and switching it to yellow really screws with her compatibility with thor) and when we lose event tiles from the game and get friendship tiles instead :p

Spoit

nah, I believe that was august 1st.
july 29th is the last time 1/3 star storm will be decent though (to be fair there is a chance that the team up thing will be ok and her skill getting 6/7 ap will be ok... it's more just removing that red move and switching it to yellow really screws with her compatibility with thor) and when we lose event tiles from the game and get friendship tiles instead :p

Sure it screws with thor (and BP), but it drastically increases her synergy with pretty much everyone else. There really aren't that many useful yellow moves in 3* land

Dispatch

I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly how this "team up" mechanic will work. Are team-up tiles replacing environmental tiles?

I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly how this "team up" mechanic will work. Are team-up tiles replacing environmental tiles?

It almost looked like you buy powers in the trailer.

I guess kind of like Power Ups? And when you pop that tile, that power gets used?

That's fuckin' interesting.™

zulux21

Sure it screws with thor (and BP), but it drastically increases her synergy with pretty much everyone else. There really aren't that many useful yellow moves in 3* land

not having that many useful yellow moves in 3* land is true, but at the same time I don't feel like this move is going to be one of them unless team ups are stupid broken. Her red move was awesome before because it got rid of 10-15 useless tiles when you used it (assuming you let event tiles build up a little) the new version is going to do half of that. I'd much rather throw down 3 strength 175 strike tiles then destroy 7 team up tiles and deal 1.3k damage for the same yellow cost.

to be fair in general I feel like 3 star storm was always below middle tier due to her red move no longer costing 5, this just made it so one of my favorite moves in the game period is now gone and replaced with a new version that is half as effective for the same cost in a color that to me is way worse because I would rather just be using 3 star thor or panther and their yellows, while the characters I like using don't really have awesome red moves (or won't have one for much longer)

Curious to see how these changes affect things. Guess we'll see.

As for current events, finished the PvE sub-event 16th, jumped right into the new one. I'm not after a high finish, I just want the 60k progression reward, which is a red Captain Marvel cover. I'm already at 29,000, so it should happen well before the end of the event.

And then the Sentry PvP I managed to get to a safe and shielded 19th at 806 pts, which will be good enough for black and red Captain Marvel covers.

I'll be very set for the new Captain Marvel PvP event.

Got my Captain Marvel from the Sentry PVP.

Pretty stoked about that.

I'm going to miss this Patch/OBW/Falcon buffed team in the PVE. It's the most fun team ever, I think.

Top Bottom