• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

that would have gotten you top 10 in mine but I wasn't in a super easy bracket this time
086d77559b.jpg

shaowebb

Man running Patch, Daken, Falcon with these teamup boosts is really nasty on folks. Watch out for Storms and Hulks,but other than those the strike damage is just ridiculous. i made a match and hit for over a grand. I got a cascade and wiped a fresh Ares. Great stuff. Even got some Ares green teamup boosts for it.

EDIT: Hmm...this team heals itself REALLY well. Only guy who needs help is Falcon who has no tile priority for me at the moment. Given I get so many ares boosts from PVP and other decent boosts like Windstorm as well I think this team is gonna be my big go to bunch of guys for now. Brings back Thorverine vibes. Plus if Patch or Daken gets low I just pop in Punisher and use his stuff instead to place shit.

Spoit

Replace patch with someone who has a higher value yellow, like LT. A maxed 3* with secondary will tank yellow for falcon up to 140. Or I guess you could always go BP, who will always tank yellow as long as he's the same level or higher (and can hide behind laken for black)

shaowebb

Replace patch with someone who has a higher value yellow, like LT. A maxed 3* with secondary will tank yellow for falcon up to 140. Or I guess you could always go BP, who will always tank yellow as long as he's the same level or higher (and can hide behind laken for black)

I've been building a black panther for awhile now for stuff like that. Though it slowed down a bit to pursue Mohawk and even up Punisher with them all in levels. You were the one who wanted me to slow down and go off BP for Punisher leveling.

Point of Patch though is he can heal, dish it out, or place tiles. Punisher is pairing for similar stuff. With the way my stuff is leveled the damage is being distributed pretty nicely across the team without anyone's tile priority making them a target for me. That'll change over time of course, but at my levels the team is chugging away nicely. Definitely outlasting some others I've used. Im moving along in the Falcon PVP tonight fishing for covers. Doubt I'll Mohawk since I'll need to go to bed before its over due to work in the morning, but hell last time I said that with a 7 hour gap in play I still pulled covers for her. Either way I'm getting to enjoy a bit of falcon play so since I had the GP it was worth it for me.

Spoit

With falcon there, it just depends on getting the tiles out there, not their actual strength. Laken should be more than enough tile spam

shaowebb

With falcon there, it just depends on getting the tiles out there, not their actual strength. Laken should be more than enough tile spam

Again...check my covers. Laken's not ready yet, but agreed ...if I had a Laken its no contest. His passive spam is all I'd need and then some. Working with what I got though I'm doing well. No one in my bracket on the Falcon thing can climb above 300 because now everyone's whipping out their heavy hitters and slugging it out. Me though...well I won so many so fast on that setup I'm sitting at close to 500 and had enough GP to shield for once (I usually don't give a shit and dont).

Depending on how the culling goes over the next few hours as points get lower per fight and people stab each other to death I very well might end up with 1st place and 2 more Mohawk covers. Should that happen, then I'll be looking damned fine tomorrow as I late bracket the Mohawk event to try and get a Deadpoool. Any way the chips my land though it was fun to get a chance to play with buffed falcon. Always a treat. His shields and Boosts are pretty darned fun to exploit.He made my Doom teams pretty fun too.

Yeah I really want these Deadpool covers. Shielded at 4th in my bracket with 664 pts, should be pretty safe, aiming for a top 10 if possible. Gimme mah whales!

I've been thinking of teams I could run once I get enough covers/levels. My current #1 is Lazy Cap/Hulk/???, where the third member could be OBW or Thor or Daredevil or really anyone. I'd loooove to throw a lazy Daken in there, but I only recently got my first cover of his, so there's still a long way to go.

Patch/Grey Suit Widow/Daredevil could also work, or Lazy Thor/IM40/Doom. I'd love to have the levels and covers to run multiple good teams, especially when it comes to something like PvP. I like knowing that the team I'm running is scaring people off.

Spoit

Man I envy you guys, with your 600 scores actually being able to get stuff. My last bracket, I was barely 25th with 1k

zulux21

Man I envy you guys, with your 600 scores actually being able to get stuff. My last bracket, I was barely 25th with 1k
so you are saying your storm bracket doesn't currently look like

It seems all you need to do to have good brackets again is enter and then get in the bottom 20% of rewards in events for a month >.>;

komarkaze

I am super annoyed with the team ups. I don't like to select them but I have to because the AI is using them. And I usually end up forgetting to add a team up until I'm in the match.

What makes it worse is I am restricted from using certain characters from team up if they are part of my active team. But the AI is able to use the same characters for team up and active. I was surprised the first time when I killed Ares, but the teamup power allowed Ares to use his green on me. Or this morning where the team I faced had OBW, but used a team power an OBW aggressive recon me. Two moves later, the actual OBW used another aggressive recon. I'm starting to wonder if the AI gets to have more than three team moves per match.

Also most of my teamup roster is stuck with powers that require 13-19 teamup points to use. I need an update to allow me to remove the dead weight like Lethal Recon.

zulux21

Also most of my teamup roster is stuck with powers that require 13-19 teamup points to use. I need an update to allow me to remove the dead weight like Lethal Recon.

until such an update happens I won't even bother with team ups. Ignoring them hasn't really hurt me at all since I can kill everything in 5-10 turns on average they don't usually get enough AP to get any of the team ups off... thus ideally before they nerf the characters I use they will fix team up stuff.

Spoit

Just switched phones from a Samsung Galaxy S2 to an S4. How do I go about getting my account switched over?

If you haven't already facebook linked, go make a fake one and log into it on the phone with the save to link it. And the log in to the same account on the other one and it should DL the save

so you are saying your storm bracket doesn't currently look like

It seems all you need to do to have good brackets again is enter and then get in the bottom 20% of rewards in events for a month >.>;

I stopped for 2 months and was in tiny brackets for about a week or 2. Now my top 10 is in the thousands. Ridiculous.

shaowebb

Currently in 1st in Mohawk PVP. All that focus on her paid off and its allowed me to do alright in this to fish for Deadpools. Hoping to land all 3 covers by getting anywhere from 1st to 5 place. Mainly want his red. Any way it goes I'll have a deadpool to use at least in a few hours.

Mohawk's yellow ability is pretty fair right now. I'm getting more utility out of it than I thought since it does more damage than I expected and is setting up a lot of Anti Gravity teamup moves and such. Tons of fucking Ares/OBW teams in my bracket so I fish that and Aggressive Recon a lot at the moment. Since Storm is effectively giving me double duty as Widow I'm just using Ares/Magneto for the quick cascades and quick character kills. Staying decently fueled and healthy with them. Once Mohawk is a higher level though I'll try her with other real team ideas though.

Also yes...this game has been rubber banding and bracketing folks really shit lately.

After sitting shielded all day, I come back to see 17th. Fought my way up a bit to 798 pts and 8th place. Shielded again to get some health packs back, figure I'll see if it changes anytime in the next few hours (everyone's shielded in the top bunch).

Might just sit on 8th and take my two covers and plenty of iso.

shaowebb

After sitting shielded all day, I come back to see 17th. Fought my way up a bit to 798 pts and 8th place. Shielded again to get some health packs back, figure I'll see if it changes anytime in the next few hours (everyone's shielded in the top bunch).

Might just sit on 8th and take my two covers and plenty of iso.

Thats what I did the other day to win another Mohawk. Had I unshielded I'd have likely gotten dumped in rank from the tide coming in...well...that and I would have been a wreck for work the next day.

shaowebb

So does anyone here ever click the little 'info" button from the recruit heroes screen to check the percentage chances of getting anything from recruit tokens?

We generally have around a 1% chance of getting a particular 3 star covers off a 2 star token. Thats not your grand total chance of getting any 3 star...just the odds of fishing the particular 3 star you've been needing.

No wonder the game is so rough now. I think its time to start putting out 3 star cover tokens as prizes in PVE and as progression rewards. The more covers they add the harder it is to get anything you need off a token and I thin we've reached a point that demands isolating more of the roster from itself in the token drawings.

zulux21

So does anyone here ever click the little 'info" button from the recruit heroes screen to check the percentage chances of getting anything from recruit tokens?

We generally have around a 1% chance of getting a particular 3 star covers off a 2 star token. Thats not your grand total chance of getting any 3 star...just the odds of fishing the particular 3 star you've been needing.

No wonder the game is so rough now. I think its time to start putting out 3 star cover tokens as prizes in PVE and as progression rewards. The more covers they add the harder it is to get anything you need off a token and I thin we've reached a point that demands isolating more of the roster from itself in the token drawings.

I more love the featured hero typically only has like a 2.5% chance of being gotten from the token.

Triz

Missed deadpool in the pve event. Got a top 5 in the storm pvp event and got all 3 covers. Playing the game right.

shaowebb

Missed deadpool in the pve event. Got a top 5 in the storm pvp event and got all 3 covers. Playing the game right.

Same. I built up Mohawk Storm in the Hood PVP and then in the optional Falcon PVP yesterday. Came in, took 2nd and got all 3 covers.

Better than spending most of a week on a PVE that was way to saturated to top out without losing all my spare time.

PVP is generally how to acquire anything at the moment.

Same. I built up Mohawk Storm in the Hood PVP and then in the optional Falcon PVP yesterday. Came in, took 2nd and got all 3 covers.

Better than spending most of a week on a PVE that was way to saturated to top out without losing all my spare time.

PVP is generally how to acquire anything at the moment.

Are the yields in those events typically worth admission? I didn't try that and haven't tried a no holds barred elite yet. How many points do you need to get a cost effective reward in those? My best characters are level 114 to 127 and I'm worried I wouldn't be competitive enough

shaowebb

Are the yields in those events typically worth admission? I didn't try that and haven't tried a no holds barred elite yet. How many points do you need to get a cost effective reward in those? My best characters are level 114 to 127 and I'm worried I wouldn't be competitive enough
Difficulty will depend on the bracket but I found mine fair. At worse I would have paid 120 for some 2 star random, but at best I'd earn a pair of 3 star Mohawk. It was fun since it barely cost more than a daily 2 star random and was easy to pull at least twice that. Overall, I'll play them more if the reward is of a 3 star cover I need...same as all p.v.p

Lawl, my shielding got my 11th place, 9 points out of the top 10. Still got my two Deadpool covers (now have 1 of each), but I missed the boat on some extra iso.

Not caring too much for this current PvE, as I was only interested in the Deadpool progression reward that I'm nowhere near. Will probably do that new Deadpool PvP enough to get my token at 300 pts and that'll be it, don't really NEED more Human Torch covers at the moment.

This weekend I can play games other than MPQ, which is sometimes nice :p

zulux21

unless you care about the progression rewards you are playing PVE wrong >.>;
don't play for a week, just join on the last day with enough time for a refresh or two. If you clear everything twice (once at start and once after a refresh) you will likely be in the top 50... if you grind a bit you can get a top 25 without to much trouble...

at least that is what I have been doing.
Lawl, my shielding got my 11th place, 9 points out of the top 10. Still got my two Deadpool covers (now have 1 of each), but I missed the boat on some extra iso.

Not caring too much for this current PvE, as I was only interested in the Deadpool progression reward that I'm nowhere near. Will probably do that new Deadpool PvP enough to get my token at 300 pts and that'll be it, don't really NEED more Human Torch covers at the moment.

This weekend I can play games other than MPQ, which is sometimes nice :p

I will likely join the event and that will be it... grinding to 300 points just to get a two star cover just doesn't seem worth it lol.

zulux21

Yeah, yeah. I dunno, I like to keep my hopes high :(

I'd try to keep my hopes high, but in the last month the number of usable 3 star covers I have gotten from tokens = 1 (I got a random 3 star storm from a standard token)

it seems to only give out a 3 star for every 40-50 heroic tokens at this point, and when I get one it is always either hulk, patch, or yellow iron man... which are all useless to me. thus I stopped caring about the random and just go for what i want.

Spoit

I'd try to keep my hopes high, but in the last month the number of usable 3 star covers I have gotten from tokens = 1 (I got a random 3 star storm from a standard token)

it seems to only give out a 3 star for every 40-50 heroic tokens at this point, and when I get one it is always either hulk, patch, or yellow iron man... which are all useless to me. thus I stopped caring about the random and just go for what i want.

I got a DP red from a pve token last sub! But yeah, I hope you guys aren't actually spending HP on buying the daily tokens, the drop rates are beyond terrible. Just save up to but a specific cover, or use it to shield hop instead

I got a DP red from a pve token last sub! But yeah, I hope you guys aren't actually spending HP on buying the daily tokens, the drop rates are beyond terrible. Just save up to but a specific cover, or use it to shield hop instead

Huh? You can do this?

I've managed to get 3 X-Force Wolvies out of tokens lately. Not bad, I guess.

shaowebb

I take it you mean save your gold to buy the large packs of tokens they advertise that say stuff like "guaranteed Sentry" or some such right? If not I have missed something VERY important if there is a way to go in on particular cast at will. Still though that shit costs 16000 at a time man...

Spoit

I take it you mean save your gold to buy the large packs of tokens they advertise that say stuff like "guaranteed Sentry" or some such right? If not I have missed something VERY important if there is a way to go in on particular cast at will. Still though that shit costs 16000 at a time man...

No, you can add another level of a cover for 1250, which even ignoring the ability to chose the upgrade you want is a way better deal than buying tokens on the odds alone.

They haven't had guaranteed token packs for like, half a year now

shaowebb

No, you can add another level of a cover for 1250, which even ignoring the ability to chose the upgrade you want is a way better deal than buying tokens on the odds alone.

They haven't had guaranteed token packs for like, half a year now

Oh that stuff. I've never really done it myself, but yeah its something to save for if there are no events worth popping gold on shields or heals for once you earn them. You can't really acquire covers you haven't gotten yet though so it doesn't do much for folks with say one Invisible Woman color. Considering the utility of heals and shields though its the weakest of the three ways to spend during some months. It all really depends on whether or not D3 has prizes worth going for most times.

Spoit

Oh that stuff. I've never really done it myself, but yeah its something to save for if there are no events worth popping gold on shields or heals for once you earn them. You can't really acquire covers you haven't gotten yet though so it doesn't do much for folks with say one Invisible Woman color. Considering the utility of heals and shields though its the weakest of the three ways to spend during some months. It all really depends on whether or not D3 has prizes worth going for most times.

Well, yeah. But I was talking about compared to buying tokens, which is the worst way to spend money (other than buying ISO)

Credo

Hi guys. I haven't played this in ages but found myself coming back to it after getting burned out on Brave Frontier. Is there a site that will give me some advice on what team I should build toward? Right now I have these that are moderately upgraded:

- Lvl 35 Iron Man - Model 35
- Lvl 20 Black Widow - Modern
- Lvl 17 Storm - Modern
- Lvl 15 Spider-Man - Bag-Man
- Lvl 15 Hawkeye - Classic

And these that are hardly upgraded:
- Lvl 40 Doctor Doom - Classic
- Lvl 40 Ragnarok - Dark Avengers Thor
- Lvl 40 Hulk - Indestructible
- Lvl 15 Moonstone - Dark Avengers Ms. Marvel
- Lvl 15 Captain America - Modern
- Lvl 15 Wolverine - Astonishing X-Men

And I think I'm out of slots to hold any more. Do I just grind a certain fight at this point?

shaowebb

Hi guys. I haven't played this in ages but found myself coming back to it after getting burned out on Brave Frontier. Is there a site that will give me some advice on what team I should build toward? Right now I have these that are moderately upgraded:

- Lvl 35 Iron Man - Model 35
- Lvl 20 Black Widow - Modern
- Lvl 17 Storm - Modern
- Lvl 15 Spider-Man - Bag-Man
- Lvl 15 Hawkeye - Classic

And these that are hardly upgraded:
- Lvl 40 Doctor Doom - Classic
- Lvl 40 Ragnarok - Dark Avengers Thor
- Lvl 40 Hulk - Indestructible
- Lvl 15 Moonstone - Dark Avengers Ms. Marvel
- Lvl 15 Captain America - Modern
- Lvl 15 Wolverine - Astonishing X-Men

And I think I'm out of slots to hold any more. Do I just grind a certain fight at this point?
At those levels you should probably play the story some more to finish leveling the beginning cast you got so you can at least tackle the brackets for your rank. Your best bet will be to fish late in the last 8 hours of most PVE stuff to get into really late brackets with easier folks so you can rank higher.

Early on Widow, Thor, and Wolverine are probably the best you can do. Venom, Daken are also good.

If there is a character you need you should look into tossing Classic Hawkeye and Bagman Spiderman...they are nigh worthless. Juggernaut is a good one early on during story mode and at low level. Id say the big thing you should try to land is Ares green covers so you can get a heavy hitter. He pops up often in stuff but I'm not certain if he gets tossed as a reward cover that much in low level. If at all possible try to get yourself covers for Marvel Now Magneto (purple) and Classic Storm (blue). Its a good team that does pretty well at team wiping since MN Mags creates blue tiles and C. Storm can Stun a character for several turns when she uses blue which also hurts the enemy team for near 2000 when she uses it as well. Also her passive Yellow is a great deterrent on folks. If they hit someone too hard she automatically attacks their whole team for several hundred or more.

For now build your wolverine, and Widow and play through story to get yourself some Thor,Daken, and Juggernaut to enjoy. They'll carry you for quite some time till you can get some regular team folk like C.Storm, MN Mags, Ares, or what have you.

Oh and dont bother with Bullseye or Yelena Belova either...dogshit tier. Low health, little help to team, no damage cast.

Credo

At those levels you should probably play the story some more to finish leveling the beginning cast you got so you can at least tackle the brackets for your rank. Your best bet will be to fish late in the last 8 hours of most PVE stuff to get into really late brackets with easier folks so you can rank higher.

Early on Widow, Thor, and Wolverine are probably the best you can do. Venom, Daken are also good.

If there is a character you need you should look into tossing Classic Hawkeye and Bagman Spiderman...they are nigh worthless. Juggernaut is a good one early on during story mode and at low level. Id say the big thing you should try to land is Ares green covers so you can get a heavy hitter. He pops up often in stuff but I'm not certain if he gets tossed as a reward cover that much in low level. If at all possible try to get yourself covers for Marvel Now Magneto (purple) and Classic Storm (blue). Its a good team that does pretty well at team wiping since MN Mags creates blue tiles and C. Storm can Stun a character for several turns when she uses blue which also hurts the enemy team for near 2000 when she uses it as well. Also her passive Yellow is a great deterrent on folks. If they hit someone too hard she automatically attacks their whole team for several hundred or more.

For now build your wolverine, and Widow and play through story to get yourself some Thor,Daken, and Juggernaut to enjoy. They'll carry you for quite some time till you can get some regular team folk like C.Storm, MN Mags, Ares, or what have you.

Oh and dont bother with Bullseye or Yelena Belova either...dogshit tier. Low health, little help to team, no damage cast.

Thanks for the advice. Is it worth spending a lot to upgrade Iron Man and Black Widow? They're my mainstays at the moment, but I don't want to go all-in if they'll be discarded soon. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the Oscorp part of the story right now.

shaowebb

Thanks for the advice. Is it worth spending a lot to upgrade Iron Man and Black Widow? They're my mainstays at the moment, but I don't want to go all-in if they'll be discarded soon. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the Oscorp part of the story right now.

All the 1 stars will be discarded so don't let that get you down. Early on in your lower brackets and story you need to build Widow though. Her stun/steal is a major tool for most teams. I'd push wolverine over Ironman once you get covers, but for now Ironman is probably the best you'll do for a little while till you get juggernaut covers.

Take your time and build for the level and tier your opponents are. Don't play lvl 200 meta if you are at lvl 30 at the moment. The game changes as the gap widens in levels so nothing if forever. However for now Ironman Widow is good. Eventually the game just hurls their covers at you so don't worry about leveling them for the tier your at now if you haven't got covers for other folks yet. The shinier crazier covers will come eventually. For now make the most of what you have and level them to make it where your brackets are.

zulux21

seems like teams ups are going to reach the point they should have started at with the next update.
- Alliance members can now send Team-Ups to other members
- Characters sent to Alliance members will be "On Patrol" and unavailable for the sender to use for a short time after being sent off
- Characters On Patrol may either come back for use after that time or immediately on use of Hero Points
- Team-Up tiles now correctly deal damage when matched with Strike tiles on the board
- The enemy team is no longer able to use Team-Ups for characters on that team
- Team-Ups can now be deleted
- Enemy teams now use 1 Team-Up instead of 3

If there is someone who is just starting out that wants to be fed high level team up stuff let me know. aside from my patch and my mags at this time I don't care to much about sending other people off to other players.

including the following

and if alternatively I can just send team ups I earn instead of my characters next time there is a PVP I care about at all I can just send out a ton of level 166 team ups that I get because I still don't see myself using them much.

heck thinking about it if there are events I don't care about going on I can send my patch and mags out as well

I'm glad we'll be able to delete those low-level team ups.

Not paying much attention to this Hulk event. He decimates my teams when I try taking on Hulk with 15-20k health, so it's not worth the frustration or the health packs.

I just make the rounds, collecting iso and leveling up some folks. Ho hum.

zulux21

Not paying much attention to this Hulk event. He decimates my teams when I try taking on Hulk with 15-20k health, so it's not worth the frustration or the health packs.

im not going to bother going for fury... if I didn't work the next 5 days, and didn't mind putting 20 hours into it I might have gone for it, but it's just not worth it to me (if he was a top 25 prize I would go for it... I can get a top 25 with about 5 hours of work... top 10 takes quite a bit more)

It's also going way way too fast. Every time I check in its like almost over and I'm like fuck it.

shaowebb

im not going to bother going for fury... if I didn't work the next 5 days, and didn't mind putting 20 hours into it I might have gone for it, but it's just not worth it to me (if he was a top 25 prize I would go for it... I can get a top 25 with about 5 hours of work... top 10 takes quite a bit more)

Same. Today was my first day off. No use goin in on an event I'm not home for. For now all i'm looking forward too is eventually being able to dump Control Shift team ups from Moonstone after the patch. I end up with a ton of those.

Top Bottom