• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

Im just hanging around still because I always hope for Iron Fist and honestly because I want to see what I can create with Falcon with a few more covers. If it wasn't for that I'd be off playing Infinity Wars. Game is awesome.

I still love the game. Couldn't resist starting the DD tourney last night, even before the 18-hour window we discussed. :)

I'd love to get a 2nd 10-pack out of this season, but I'm not sure at this point. People are off to a huge start in my bracket.

I add a level every once in a while, but he's never struck me as a great addition to a team. Though, as someone pointed out before, having a 10000 HP Hulk is a good deterrent against attacks. Is that true, in your experience?

zulux21

I add a level every once in a while, but he's never struck me as a great addition to a team. Though, as someone pointed out before, having a 10000 HP Hulk is a good deterrent against attacks. Is that true, in your experience?

the only character in the game that is a deterrent against attacks for me is hood... the rest of the roster doesn't remotely scare or bother me.... but I also rarely let the enemy team have more than 6 turns in general.

shaowebb

Unless you are clearing near 200 he works. If you have a team around low 100's then Hulk is a very big deterrent just because he makes things drag out. I pretty much put him, and Ares together if I want folks to leave me alone...that or C. Mags. Folks HATE him.

Yes, I avoid big Hulk, Ares and Hood like the plague. I ain't got time for that shit.

Thanks for letting me in the alliance. I'll try to make y'all proud.

I don't follow, why is that a bad thing? Doesn't that just mean you can tank Hulk while building Patch's green?

Yeah but a full(ish) board of patch tiles means red can be a one hit kill for pretty much any charac.

It's DEVESTATING.

Also, I was looking at suggested Classic Mag builds. Only 3 covers for Translocation? What's the deal with that? It's his most devastating attack!

What do y'all run with?

Thanks for the level 5 world rupture Zulux. I accidentally hit the "request team ups" and it's good to see it works.

Shugdaddy...thank you for the level 1 Psylock ;)

Thanks for the level 5 world rupture Zulux. I accidentally hit the "request team ups" and it's good to see it works.

I've got some low-ass DD burning a hole in my pocket, if you're interested.

How high does GAF-vengers usually rank in PVP?

zulux21

Yeah but a full(ish) board of patch tiles means red can be a one hit kill for pretty much any charac.

It's DEVESTATING.

Also, I was looking at suggested Classic Mag builds. Only 3 covers for Translocation? What's the deal with that? It's his most devastating attack!

What do y'all run with?
Translocation is the most devastating single use attack of Mags I will give you that...
it's his least useful move though... while it can kill one enemy quickly, his other moves can kill all enemies quickly when combined with some strike tiles. if you start with 6 or so red and 5 blue and think about where you place your titles you will win 95% of the time before the enemy takes another turn (10 red is closer to a 99%) as you can just use the blue move to make some extra blue (either by multiple 3 matches or some 6+ matches) and then use the blue to make 4 and 5 matches to get more red, and then when you run low on blue use the red move to clear some board to get more blue on the board.

On Classic Mags I'm aiming for 4 blue, 4 red, 5 pink. Translocation is far too awesome. Need more covers though.
just keep in mind that Mags is going to get nerfed soon, and given past history he is likely going to go from top tier to near bag man levels.

no problem you should have also got some sort of patch move as well :p

just keep in mind that Mags is going to get nerfed soon, and given past history he is likely going to go from top tier to near bag man levels.

Are you sure? You've been saying that for months now. I was hesitant to put anything into him because of all the nerf talk but in that time I got two additional covers for him and buffed him up to 140 where he's cleaning up in PvP and PvE.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Going balls out on Classic Mags was the best decision I ever made.

shaowebb

Agreed. C Mags is a bloody beast, just wish I had any covers of him for his Purple power. Only thing stopping him from being a powerhouse unto himself

Not gonna lie...having a decent amount of purple and blue for C Mags has been a really fun thing for me.

Currently in 6th. It'll move around a lot cause I late bracketed but I should finish well enough and get some falcons.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
With Classic Mags I never have to stop once I get enough blue to trigger his blue. I can go almost indefinitely. It's ridiculous and...a livesaver. His red though? Dogshit and a half.

Credo

Whenever a spot opens in the GAF alliance, I'd like to join. I play pretty much whenever I can every day. Still a bit on the weak side, but I'm progressing as fast as I can.

zulux21

Are you sure? You've been saying that for months now. I was hesitant to put anything into him because of all the nerf talk but in that time I got two additional covers for him and buffed him up to 140 where he's cleaning up in PvP and PvE.

I am sure he will be nerfed at some point.
as for me saying it for months... well they have been saying for months that in a few weeks they will nerf him :p

given the company running the game they will likely just stealth nerf him and be confused why people are angry.

With Classic Mags I never have to stop once I get enough blue to trigger his blue. I can go almost indefinitely. It's ridiculous and...a livesaver. His red though? Dogshit and a half.

you are one of the luckiest people I have ever met if you don't need to red move to continue to use the blue move after a few uses (I mean you can usually still make 3 matches but it eats your AP quickly, the red move is the key to keep being able to make 4 and 5 matches)

shaowebb

The deal with the blue move is if you are using it to create 5 or 6 of a kind though you recover 2/3rd guaranteed of what you lose before you even have to make a match that turn. Its generally not long to setup another Blue after you get one off. I tend to accidently blow up blues using his red ability fishing for better setups.

BTW my bracket went to shit on me. I've been gone for a good several hours with the wife. I'm up to top 15 and considering using by gold on shield, because All but 1 dude above me have shielded and I'm within 50 of current top 10. I can't keep pushing up but I can see if folks unshield and end up ranking down.

I may just say fuckit and see how it goes in some crazy matchups. Anyway it goes though I'm having fun using my level 99 Daredevil. Hitting for just under 7000 per ambush is great.

zulux21

lol mags is getting nerfed in the next patch give me a bit to wall of nerf this page up. (note quite glance and he doesn't seem unusable, but he also is in no way mags anymore... patch should go live no later than sept 5th)

so everybody join the nerf train
first up DAKEN (3 star)(the most recent character I put hp/iso into)
1c4b2ceed7.png

d7123cee00.png

last move unchanged

next up is daken 2 star

next up is two star hawkeye (im not sure if this is a nerf or not hard to tell without trying him out)
1031a456ba.png

367caee781.png

93c7584993.png

I mean his blue move doesn't seem to do damage anymore, has a weaker stun, but now reduces ap which overall I feel is weaker
red move just does less damage but both now cost 1 less (neither i feel make up for it)
and his purple now only triggers at most a few times a match unless you are using someone like thor to make more 5 matches

and now for Mags... :( yay more yellow :/
3e55fe61bf.png

07a1941b92.png

62a1fcb0fe.png

yay for random.. not I will miss the blue move
yay for destroying team up tiles (this one I don't mind since in general I don't play with them, but at the same time it doesn't seem powerful enough for the cost)
and the last move's damage was changed in a way expected in fact it retained more power than I expected.

but wait there is more... 4 star wolverine gets a buff (to still much worse than patch but at least a little better)
ede2272204.png

e7a0bd2510.png

f57ffd9306.png

xforce at least looks usable, and like a unique character now, but I would still use patch over him any day of the week

See I told you a mags nerf was coming :p
source

I like all those changes. Generally all the "nerfs" so far have been made to end legitimate imbalance which I have almost always found myself on the losing end of in PVP (or even PVE). This seems to be no different.

Building a team around a clearly imbalanced charac kind of seems like stealing wifi. It's not really a crime, and sure, dude should be using a password in the first place, but you can't really be mad if it shuts off one day, even if you got a Netflix subscription with real money assuming it would last forever.

Damn, that's a great analogy.

shaowebb

I wish Hawkeye could still keep damage on Blue and his Avoid ability. Having the new attack could be good though. Magneto is now a Blue Yellow and Red dude which changes things a lot. Damage capping him and making him ONLY destroy team up tiles might not be too bad though. He wont be nearly as good as he is now, but he looks to lay better defense. What I want to know is if those 6 random color tiles that get turned to protect tiles will turn yellow. If they don't (which is what I think it implies) then its nothing that great. If he can become a battery for yellow though it'd self generate.

Meh oh well. Makes me glad I backed my Black Panther as hard as I did. If I want a defense laying character with good damage that goes through teamup fuel I'll just use him.

Daken is officially off my team builds now though. His tiles are weaker and now he converts them back for damage? No thank you. I'd rather keep the 4 tiles if they weren't so weak. Black Panther had replaced him already anyhow in this role.

Seems like they want rid of cascade characters pretty badly. Game isn't bad...just less interesting now. Hulks a more useable character in the 100's with the Mags changes now since that was one of the better folks to whip him with.

These character changes seem okay. X-Force is finally usable, Magneto understandably isnt as fun, and I never used Hawkeye anyway.

Man I want a Beast. He'd probably be in Mohawkesque unusable status for a while anyway, but I wants.

I already cleared space for Beast. Gotta have it, even though I'll probably never use him...

Glad that XForce is getting better. Have had him for a while and never use.

shaowebb

Lol. Wanna know whats hilarious? Going into the event where all characters are maxed out right now and using a Daredevil team. He one shots folks with ambush for around 13000 and since you start out so leveled they can't get rid of him and have to suffer through trap tile hell :D

Spoit

Lol. Wanna know whats hilarious? Going into the event where all characters are maxed out right now and using a Daredevil team. He one shots folks with ambush for around 13000 and since you start out so leveled they can't get rid of him and have to suffer through trap tile hell :D

Laken gets rid of all the red, disarming the only damaging trap fairly easily

shaowebb

Laken gets rid of all the red, disarming the only damaging trap fairly easily

You speak as if I see a ton of Laken like always. I win fast with this team. Rather a tricky thing to do if you haven't got a lot of max covers for 3 stars. Daredevil oneshots for me.

Spoit

No laken? Next thing you know, you'll be saying you don't see hood every other fight too!

(and sentry for EVERY fight)

Good tip, thanks!

This is actually a good chance to try out some of the characters I don't normally use.

shaowebb

No laken? Next thing you know, you'll be saying you don't see hood every other fight too!

I dont. Hood shows up here and there but generally I still see a ton of C. Storm/ MN Mags teams, Ares, Thors, and Wolverines. Very few folks in the brackets I get (early 100's) tend to rock Laken or Hood. Folks stuck in the 100's just generally don't have a lot of Gold Star covers for that stuff man. I see more Punisher and Patch than either of those combined.

Like I've said before...different brackets for folks with different average cover amounts and levels means a completely different meta than you are used to. Its a good reason to just take her easy and level evenly and stay as low as you can get...you get away with a LOT more that way :D

Is the Hood worth leveling up? I can bring him up to 114 but I have never spent any time with him. My main *** hitters have been Patch, IM40, GSBW, Hulk & Punisher.

Dispatch

I dont. Hood shows up here and there but generally I still see a ton of C. Storm/ MN Mags teams, Ares, Thors, and Wolverines. Very few folks in the brackets I get (early 100's) tend to rock Laken or Hood. Folks stuck in the 100's just generally don't have a lot of Gold Star covers for that stuff man. I see more Punisher and Patch than either of those combined.

Like I've said before...different brackets for folks with different average cover amounts and levels means a completely different meta than you are used to. Its a good reason to just take her easy and level evenly and stay as low as you can get...you get away with a LOT more that way :D

This is true for me, too, even with Daredevil being one of my highest level heroes. I just don't see a lot of Laken, nor Sentry.

shaowebb

This is true for me, too, even with Daredevil being one of my highest level heroes. I just don't see a lot of Laken, nor Sentry.

Yeah, its a different world when your brackets reflect how many covers and levels you generally have. Around lvl 100 gold star dudes, Sentries, Hoods, Invisible Woman and a bunch more next to never show up. Can't really make any presumptions about not using a character because you know a counterpick exists if you notice that the counterpick generally isn't something you face often. Folks in my bracket simply just dont have enough covers to use those characters yet.

Also Daredevil is working like crazy. I'm currently in 4th in the PVP :)

I'm using a rotation of my Black Panther, Ares, C. Mags, Thor, 3 Star Torch, and Dr. Fucking Doom. Best teams that dont lose health seem to be either Ares, Devil, Panther, or Ares Devil C. Mags because one lays down defense and attack boosts and the other just cascades too fast on folks. Good color spreads on both really.

Devil is the shining star though. So many MN Mags teams in my bracket and the second they turn things blue they tend to trip over ambush and die. Doesn't even matter if they change the trap tile blue because it still stays active so they either pop it or get a 4 in a row and bop the thing anyways most times. Good shit.

God, PVEs are really insufferable at this point. I'd have to play like all day to get back over 150 for my Hanky.

Guess I'll wait for him to show up in PVP.

shaowebb

God, PVEs are really insufferable at this point. I'd have to play like all day to get back over 150 for my Hanky.

Guess I'll wait for him to show up in PVP.

Then you should likely hope to have a good She Hulk team or watch what the upcoming She-Hulk PVP has as its prize. The way they time these is generally the prize of the next PVP will be who you need to use to get the last new character thats been awarded. So unless the time table speeds up and its She Hulk you'll be using you should probably plan on throwing iso and earning covers for whoever the She Hulk PVP will list as its reward...because I guarantee its next and its prizes tie into getting Hank.

I'm hoping that when She Hulk PVP happens that she awards something like Falcon's and that the following PVP for hank covers is a Falcon Teamup. In that scenario you have fun and win no matter what...sadly they just had a Falcon run though so I doubt he's who you'll be using on your team to get Hank covers later.

Then you should likely hope to have a good She Hulk team or watch what the upcoming She-Hulk PVP has as its prize. The way they time these is generally the prize of the next PVP will be who you need to use to get the last new character thats been awarded. So unless the time table speeds up and its She Hulk you'll be using you should probably plan on throwing iso and earning covers for whoever the She Hulk PVP will list as its reward...because I guarantee its next and its prizes tie into getting Hank.

I'm hoping that when She Hulk PVP happens that she awards something like Falcon's and that the following PVP for hank covers is a Falcon Teamup. In that scenario you have fun and win no matter what...sadly they just had a Falcon run though so I doubt he's who you'll be using on your team to get Hank covers later.

No, my team is pretty much fine. Patch is buffed and demolishing. It's just not fun. Within a few hours of not playing a drop from 30 to 300. I don't even need a good team in PVP to win a cover. I just need to wait. With a late bracket I can score a cover with like 200 points, and I usually try for 300 anyway.

You guys know me. I used to love PVE. But this just sucks.

I'm maintaining top 150 for Beast, can get up to the 30s or so before I run out of health packs and then have to stop for a bit and let the points come back to full. I generally start back around 130-160 each time, which is split between 5-6 hours break.

Need the Beast.

Edit: Also, getting my ass kicked on "hard" fights is not fun, so Normal and lower for meeee

shaowebb

I'm maintaining top 150 for Beast, can get up to the 30s or so before I run out of health packs and then have to stop for a bit and let the points come back to full. I generally start back around 130-160 each time, which is split between 5-6 hours break.

Need the Beast.

Edit: Also, getting my ass kicked on "hard" fights is not fun, so Normal and lower for meeee

I honestly haven't even begun on Beast. Didn't have time for both so I'm late bracketing. Gonna try for 12 hour tomorrow to come in. He seems like a dude that fills a unique spot in the game with how his stuff works.

Oh definitely. And like She-Hulk, he wouldn't even factor into my teams for a good while. But I know some new PvE will require him for some fights, and I do have a soft spot for X-Men.

Might late-bracket try for PvP, though. Maybe.

shaowebb

Heh...got to top 10 and shielded because teams were starting to show up with some legit shit I didn't wanna deal with. Decided to do the PVE for loot. Whilst there my rank goes up due to folks losing to me and deranking. Looks like its getting heated. I think I'll just sit this one out and shield the rest of the night and go PVE from here.

However, I just ended up with a copy of Freedom Planet so my next day may be set :D
Fuck yeah Freedom Planet...this thing is being called a successor to classic Sonic for good reason. Can't wait to go in on this.

Top Bottom