• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Triz

This hulk tourney is ass. Rounds end to quick. Got in last 30 minutes this morning and scored a top 50. Pulled a falcon with the token so my rant will will remain semi neutral.

Yeah, I sold mine.

So MPQ must know it's my birthday today. Just got 9 standard tokens, and in those pulls I managed a Punisher black, Patch yellow and Psylocke red. Normally I get junk but that was actually pretty sweet, as two of those were needed. :D

shaowebb

New PVP is up. Build a team with a 1, 2, and a 3 star. All buffed...win Torches.

Meh...I'm doing find on Torches honestly. I'd like more reds for him, but I'm not in any rush. I'll just show up the night it ends and see how I do.

I got rid of all my 1 stars, so I can't even participate in this PvP.

Managed to get the 10-pack in Season 4, got 3 golds iirc. Got 5 more for my overall performance plus one more from -kanda, all silvers...

Got a She-Hulk from one of the last events but I have no space. I have a fully specced 2 star Cap that is way under-leveled and a 2 star Torch at 0/5/1. Either of those ok to get rid of for Shulkie? I do have some other 3 stars with only one card (Falcon, Daken at least).

If I was rich, I'd shell out a couple hundred bones (or more :-/) to be able to level some of my guys. IM40 is good but I can get more levels out of him, Hulk has plenty of room, and lots of others.

I'd love Torches, but don't have the space to add one-stars. Oh, well. I could use a little break after S4 rush yesterday.

My 10-pack was basically crap. One GSBW green, my only gold character. That's good, since I'm really starting to love her after that last tourney. Three 2* torch, which is fine, but I probably won't bother leveling him up. Would rather keep going with 3* torch, but only 2 covers on him. Otherwise nothing good in the 10-pack. Oh, well.

shaowebb

Saw Turbolibre requesting help in the chat. Thats new. I sent my C. Magneto, Hulk, and Ares. Ares being a two star seems to have 8 hrs before I can recall and the other two are his for about 24 hours. I can recall them early for 280gp :[

Enjoy Turbolibre. I didn't plan on doin anything anyhow so you might as well enjoy the tanking.

Saw Turbolibre requesting help in the chat. Thats new. I sent my C. Magneto, Hulk, and Ares. Ares being a two star seems to have 8 hrs before I can recall and the other two are his for about 24 hours. I can recall them early for 280gp :[

Enjoy Turbolibre. I didn't plan on doin anything anyhow so you might as well enjoy the tanking.

Funny enough, I wasn't trying to request anything. Thought the button would let me scout through released heros instead of asking for people to give me some. And I couldn't figure out how to delete the message either. Thanks though, I'll pay it forward.

shaowebb

BTW where is this button to request backup from your alliance you mention? I see no differences on PC to any of my layouts.

shaowebb

It's at the bottom of the TU screen, not the alliance screen:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Spoit/screenshot/28465633959917443

You might need to have open TU slots

Dumped some covers on the fights vs mutants. Now I see it.
Current event is so so . Patch covers with top prizes yielding Furys. Looks easy to get iso and covers out of this event though so It'll be a good one to use for leveling. Its pretty fun playing with a buffed Torch...dude wracks up damage fast. Right now most of my stuff thats 3 star is around 107 in rank so I guess I'll use all this as a way to catch up some other covers. I probably should have invested time into winning She Hulk more. She looks fun at higher level. I got a pretty decent start on my Torch, Hulk and Black Panther though so I can't complain. I got 11 covers on my Punisher so he's my next build.

Malmorian

This damned 3 Star event is kiiiiiilling me. Too much bloody HP, and I've only got 1 * on my team so it's slow going.

Quick question, I only have room for 1 on my roster...would you add She-Hulk or Daredevil?

After doing my run-through of PvE, I had 4 health packs left and decided what the hell, let's try this stupid PvP event thing. I knew I was in for a bad time, but geez. Tried three fights, lost all three pretty easily. Rage rage rage.

Edit: Okay, * Iron Man/** Daken/*** Thor is a pretty solid team and I've won two fights now.

Edit2: Oh hey shaowebb we're 1-2 in our PvP bracket

Quick question, I only have room for 1 on my roster...would you add She-Hulk or Daredevil?

Personally, Daredevil. I would pick a bunch of characters before I would pick She-Hulk.

shaowebb

After doing my run-through of PvE, I had 4 health packs left and decided what the hell, let's try this stupid PvP event thing. I knew I was in for a bad time, but geez. Tried three fights, lost all three pretty easily. Rage rage rage.

Edit: Okay, * Iron Man/** Daken/*** Thor is a pretty solid team and I've won two fights now.

Edit2: Oh hey shaowebb we're 1-2 in our PvP bracket

Personally, Daredevil. I would pick a bunch of characters before I would pick She-Hulk.

For real? I've just been screwing around with Ares/C. Magneto/ Storm because of how ridiculous the cascades and speed is. Its taking down 5 digits of health like it was nothing considering the buffs it gets. Are you needing the covers badly? Because I'll be turning in in like an hour and I'll be gone all day tomorrow. Have at it.

I wouldn't say I need them badly, but it would be nice to have. My Torch is leveled pretty high already at 4/1/2, I think.

I was more pointing out "oh hey, someone from GAF at the top with me," but yeah, you're potentially in a good spot for covers.

shaowebb

I wouldn't say I need them badly, but it would be nice to have. My Torch is leveled pretty high already at 4/1/2, I think.

I was more pointing out "oh hey, someone from GAF at the top with me," but yeah, you're potentially in a good spot for covers.

Yeah. I'd like more Red but thats already out of the question since i'm not gonna be playing for most of this. My torch is pretty high leveled and has some covers so whatever I get works for me. Its just to pass the time tonight because I'm still too lazy to wire up my systems at the new place until I get an HDMI splitter/switch to run them all.

Too bad the free Hulk it gave me was a green. I've maxed that. I'd like to get more red or black.

I've been selling Hulk covers for months now. Got 5/1/5 pretty early and have just been taking red covers as I get them. It's not the best move since it has so many conditions, but having maxed Green and Black makes him plenty viable. Hulk and Punisher are my 2 highest level characters at 125, but I'm working Patch up there since I finally got him to 3/3/5 (not ideal by any stretch, but he's servicable now). I also really like Steve Rogers and Classic Mag is always useful.

I don't have any 1 Star characters so I'm not even going to bother with this PvP event. Don't need a 3* Torch that bad, pretty sure mine's at 2/2/5 and floating around level 75 which makes him plenty useful when he's needed. I'm only really needing random 3* covers here and there (still no Mohawk since apparently people go real hard for those covers) and a 5th Green Punisher to get the 3rd Strike Tile. Having more Laken covers would also be nice, would like to actively use him since he's a beast.

Welp, wound up 56th in that PvP healthlossapalooza event. Got me a green Torch cover which was definitely needed. A win's a win.

Somehow, between expiring PvP events and PvE subevents and doing my usual run through the new PvE subevents, I wound up with 12 standard tokens. All crap, all 1 stars.

Oh well, enough to level up my Torch twice.

God damn I got an incredible bracket for 3-2-1. Ended up in 5th with just over 300. My best finish in months. Got three Torchies and 5k ISO. Incredible.

shaowebb

God damn I got an incredible bracket for 3-2-1. Ended up in 5th with just over 300. My best finish in months. Got three Torchies and 5k ISO. Incredible.

Hey congrats! Glad to see you finally get some 3 star no matter how it happened. My last one was a red punisher...I already had that maxed. I wish we could send unusable covers to fellow alliance members. It'd work out pretty well.

shaowebb

Holy shit this event just drags on and on...Here's hoping a PVP hits in the next day or so with something decent. Maybe Captain Marvel since I haven't got one, or some more Falcons. Either would be nice to fish for.

Holy shit this event just drags on and on...Here's hoping a PVP hits in the next day or so with something decent. Maybe Captain Marvel since I haven't got one, or some more Falcons. Either would be nice to fish for.

Same here. I'm finally hitting that lull where even PVP prizes within reach are useless to me. My Patch, Punisher, Hulk, Hood, and now Thor are all maxed out. I REALLY want Falcon to be my third man but I need a lot more covers. But on the flip side, I am hungry as hell for ISO to build up my dudes.

Thanks for sending me those dudes, but I have no idea how to access them. Were they Team-Ups I could have used?

shaowebb

Same here. I'm finally hitting that lull where even PVP prizes within reach are useless to me. My Patch, Punisher, Hulk, Hood, and now Thor are all maxed out. I REALLY want Falcon to be my third man but I need a lot more covers. But on the flip side, I am hungry as hell for ISO to build up my dudes.

Thanks for sending me those dudes, but I have no idea how to access them. Were they Team-Ups I could have used?

Most likely so. Gimmie a bit and I'll send more if you pass me another request. I aint playing this event anyways so you may as well have fun and check out how this new option works some more.

zulux21

bwa ha ha take some junk :p

Malmorian

This Nick Fury event is really easy...using M.Mags + C.Storm, Nick is taking all the damage and Mags pumps Storm's wind ability. Hopefully I'll actually get some goodies from this.

zulux21

so, when they finally get around to nerfing MAGs I will likely take my leave from this game. It's just not fun anymore. I still long in to do my dailys, but it's not worth going after tokens or stuff like that because the odds of me getting something I can use are so low it basically never happens anymore... and the pool of characters I actually care about getting is small, so the wait until those characters show up again is rather long.

I still wish there was like a $20 version of the game that I could play that gave out decent Iso rewards and tokens to get characters at a meaningful pace, so that I could easily have a max level roster after 100 or so hours of playing. The version doesn't even need to have PVP stuff, just let me play through all of the PVE stuff (that is freely available at all times) and just update the game when ever you release new story to the free to play version :/

NineH

I can finally stop grinding since I got the 80000 point human torch token. Now I'm doubting if all the time I wasted grinding it was worth it. Oh well I guess.

I hear you on the Mags nerf though, zulux. He has been the centerpiece of all my teams from mags/ spidey and now mags/patch so when he's toast, I don't know who I would use to replace him.

I can finally stop grinding since I got the 80000 point human torch token. Now I'm doubting if all the time I wasted grinding it was worth it. Oh well I guess.

I hear you on the Mags nerf though, zulux. He has been the centerpiece of all my teams from mags/ spidey and now mags/patch so when he's toast, I don't know who I would use to replace him.

Mags/Patch has been my go to combo for PvP. I wish they didn't have to nerf him, but I also totally understand why they plan to. His Purple is pretty damn OP, and have a spamable move with cascade potential has definitely saved me quite a few times.

zulux21

Mags/Patch has been my go to combo for PvP. I wish they didn't have to nerf him, but I also totally understand why they plan to. His Purple is pretty damn OP, and have a spamable move with cascade potential has definitely saved me quite a few times.

I don't actually use his purple :p
his red and blue plus patch's strike tiles get it done well enough :p

but mostly the grind in general is just stupid when you step back and look at wasted time. In the current game... if you know what you are doing you can get a single cover for a character in about 90 minutes of work... you can get two covers from an event with a little luck and about 3 hours of work... and 3 covers takes about 20 hours of work as you have to grind hard on the event the whole time (this is not assuming bonus covers from alliance as most of us aren't getting those :p)

90 minutes times 13 covers is 19.5 hours if you want a full character (and that is assuming no duplicates) but alas even if you mange to get that you need tons of hours of grinding in order to get the iso to level them up. I mean you can spend money and speed things up on both fronts, but the money to return ratio isn't very good at all.

Of course the kicker is that a year from now after you have been using and enjoying your character that you worked so many hours for they will likely nerf him to make the new characters look better. I mean I can understand adjusting broken characters... but they don't adjust them in general as much as they try to make them nearly unusable. And then the rare character they adjust and didn't nerf to nothingness what do they do... they add a gold version of thor that is basically just better in general than the character that they had to nerf because he unblanced the game :/

shaowebb

Ah yiss. Daredevil PVP that rewards Falcon covers. I need to level my Falcon but he has a lot of covers. Definitely enough that on the last day I can show up, and sweep a late bracket with him for covers. Depends on whether I get overtime though...

hitoman

I'd like to join GAF-vengers. Username is Starmie. Play daily, usually around 500 per pvp event. Currently at 1300 in season 5 but haven't been hitting it too hard as I haven't needed the covers that have come up so far.

Ah yiss. Daredevil PVP that rewards Falcon covers. I need to level my Falcon but he has a lot of covers. Definitely enough that on the last day I can show up, and sweep a late bracket with him for covers. Depends on whether I get overtime though...

fuuuuudge yes i need falcon.

SO, I have a maxed Patch and Lazy Thor. A very close, fully covered Hood and an even closer, fully covered, Hulk.

I know Hood was recommended but he's just not as fun as Hulk and his Anger runs.

Punisher is also fully covered and close. I tried leveling up Thor and Hood at the same time but it seemed silly, so I now I need to pick the best guy for the finish line. In a perfect world it would be Falcon because he was an INCREDIBLE support player in the one PVE where he was buffed, but I just ain't got the covers for it.

I also have these dude maxed out covers, but not optimally:
IM40
Spidey
X-Force Wolvie

What do y'all suggest!

I also have these dude maxed out covers, but not optimally:
IM40
Spidey
X-Force Wolvie

What do y'all suggest!

IM40 is my only maxed *** (covers and ISO) but I almost never use him. He has such high requirements across the board...that having been said I really vary the teams I use so others are probably better positioned to speak to good builds/combos.

shaowebb

If all you want is a support character Ironman 40 is a good battery out of those three and his tile priorities will let him meat shield some of your stuff hopefully.

Is the optimal strategy to not start a PVP tourney until closer to the end?

shaowebb

Depends...you see I work industrial stuff and that means my schedule blows. If I haven't got time to dedicate to a PVP that I want to win rewards for I'll wait till around hour 7 of it, enter and only fight the top point battles. Nets me into top 10 quick and easy with only intermittent play across a single afternoon

Problem is going for #1 is harder that way as you don't end up with massive point spreads like if you got the time to play a few hours over several days. Also if the event counts towards your season points you aren't earning nearly as many overall points that way...essentially you just fish rewards. If that's all you want and all you got time for then its pretty good. It works well for me.

Fjord

I'd like to join GAF-vengers. Username is Starmie. Play daily, usually around 500 per pvp event. Currently at 1300 in season 5 but haven't been hitting it too hard as I haven't needed the covers that have come up so far.

Spot is yours Starmie, apply when you can.

zulux21

usually somewhere between 12 and 18 hours until the end seems to be around the sweet spot for me. The brackets are filtered so in general you are going to have easier brackets early on and harder ones later, but beyond that the people who go all in at the start or go all in at the end play very seriously towards the end and tend to be in the early or really late brackets.

typically if I care about something I will join with like 18 hours to go and then only play starting around 4 hours to go and shield once i get in the spot I want (there usually isn't to much shuffling in that bracket)

shaowebb

usually somewhere between 12 and 18 hours until the end seems to be around the sweet spot for me. The brackets are filtered so in general you are going to have easier brackets early on and harder ones later, but beyond that the people who go all in at the start or go all in at the end play very seriously towards the end and tend to be in the early or really late brackets.

typically if I care about something I will join with like 18 hours to go and then only play starting around 4 hours to go and shield once i get in the spot I want (there usually isn't to much shuffling in that bracket)

18 hours is probably good if I have the day off. I don't use a phone though so its PC. If I had it for phone then that'd be great as it would allow easier spread building of the top 10 so you wouldn't get displaced as easily as around hour 7.

Spot is yours Starmie, apply when you can.

I already applied and left my other alliance to do it. Didn't know I had to post in here first...

To the others, 18 hours early sound like a good way to go. I would like to do well in the season, though S5 seems to be full of peeps getting way more points than last time!

Hmmmm. We have one open spot and three applicants. I know we've only had 16-17 daily players according to the daily bonuses lately.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Non-Players in Current PVE:
Ramza789
Sibarraz
eleventhdoctor
enzo_gt
zulux21

Non-Players in Current PVP Season:
Anilones19
Ramza789
Sibarraz
zulux21

enzo_gt is HARD into the PVP, so I'd keep away from him and eleventhdoctor is playing it too
Anilones is pretty low on the PVE side, but has posted numbers.

Ramza and Sibarraz are both kickable. zulux21 is commander level. All three of you, please speak now or (I guess) forever lose your space. Well, zulus would have to bow out themselves. But all three should say something here.

zulux21

Hmmmm. We have one open spot and three applicants. I know we've only had 16-17 daily players according to the daily bonuses lately.

Thoughts?

Ramza and Sibarraz are both kickable. zulux21 is commander level. All three of you, please speak now or (I guess) forever lose your space. Well, zulus would have to bow out themselves. But all three should say something here.

it hurts that you haven't even noticed that I still do my daily each day :(
plus i said stuff earlier today er yesterday :p
and it makes sense that I don't have any pvp or pve points since all the covers they are giving away currently are either garbage or useless to me :p (well falcon in the new event isn't complete garbage)

there happy i have a pvp score :p

If you want me gone I can be gone though, as with our alliance having no chance of getting a top 100 for extra covers, and garbage rewards I just in general don't have any motivation to do any events that don't give me covers I want (as tokens are no longer ooh can I get a nifty cover but just heh.. oh look I got 250 iso instead 100 this time) (i'm always willing to send out my characters for team ups though :p)

it hurts that you haven't even noticed that I still do my daily each day :(
plus i said stuff earlier today er yesterday :p
and it makes sense that I don't have any pvp or pve points since all the covers they are giving away currently are either garbage or useless to me :p (well falcon in the new event isn't complete garbage)

If you want me gone I can be gone though, as with our alliance having no chance of getting a top 100 for extra covers, and garbage rewards I just in general don't have any motivation to do any events that don't give me covers I want (as tokens are no longer ooh can I get a nifty cover but just heh.. oh look I got 250 iso instead 100 this time) (i'm always willing to send out my characters for team ups though :p)

Oh man I'm so dumb. I didn't even realize you were you. Sorry, man! You know you're safe.

zulux21

Oh man I'm so dumb. I didn't even realize you were you. Sorry, man! You know you're safe.

>.> I can see how it could be confusing that zulux21 is zulux21 :p

but yeah I haven't kept it any secret that I am near the end of my time with the game, I still enjoy it from time to time though so I haven't quit just yet :p (and I have tried to do my daily every day, but I missed one not to long ago, apperently convention + cold = slip of mind to do a daily :p)

as I said earlier when mags goes I am likely done though as it will at least double the time I would need to spend in pvp and greatly increase the amount of healing I would need. I would likely then only do PVE and even then it's hard to get motivated for 10 day events when you have a job and thus miss a number of key times to keep up and thus have to choose to either enter late to go for covers or go for progression as you likely aren't getting both....

couple that with this 10 day event being patch covers that I already have a max character of... and I really had no motivation to join ><; like I said though I am always up for sending my characters out for team ups to newer players if you get some recruits... since I am only doing dailys until events I care about come along it doesn't matter if I am missing my roster :p (speaking of work I should go to bed so I can get up for that in a few hours >.>)

>.> I can see how it could be confusing that zulux21 is zulux21 :p

but yeah I haven't kept it any secret that I am near the end of my time with the game, I still enjoy it from time to time though so I haven't quit just yet :p (and I have tried to do my daily every day, but I missed one not to long ago, apperently convention + cold = slip of mind to do a daily :p)

as I said earlier when mags goes I am likely done though as it will at least double the time I would need to spend in pvp and greatly increase the amount of healing I would need. I would likely then only do PVE and even then it's hard to get motivated for 10 day events when you have a job and thus miss a number of key times to keep up and thus have to choose to either enter late to go for covers or go for progression as you likely aren't getting both....

couple that with this 10 day event being patch covers that I already have a max character of... and I really had no motivation to join ><; like I said though I am always up for sending my characters out for team ups to newer players if you get some recruits... since I am only doing dailys until events I care about come along it doesn't matter if I am missing my roster :p

No problem. At this point it's really a club for GAF members who are active in the community. You're in for as long as you want to be, if I have any say in it.

Top Bottom