• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Triz

You know the nerfs wouldn't piss me off if I hadn't dumped money into the game early on. When Thor and wolverine got hit with the uber nerf it pissed me the fuck off. I had them maxed and it felt like a slap in the face. I sold them and leveled up others. Now my maxed magneto got hit and I'm fucking irate. I haven't spent a dime in ages but it still pisses me off. The compensation they give you is like half what it took to get them that high. Very poor form for an app that has iap.

I won't go as far as selling anything. The characters will still be randomly required down the road, but it sucks that both Mags kinda suck now.

Spoit

For the record I more than expect that Deadpool will have his Red nerfed at some point from a percentage to a flat amount. Its so easy to abuse. That's just my theory though.

Anyhow I agree that there is not enough decent purple now. Seems everyone is yellow and green with a few blue.

I don't see why. at it's maximum potential it only does marginally more than HT's red for the same net cost

I'll definitely have to stop using Mags as much as I have, but it was fun while it lasted.

Anyway, I'm sitting at 104k in PvE. Need 120k for a Beast cover. Can I do it? Dun dun dunnnnn.

zulux21

I won't go as far as selling anything. The characters will still be randomly required down the road, but it sucks that both Mags kinda suck now.

I saw no reason to not sell the two star... I can get his covers back in no time :p
as for selling mags, I just wanted to HP and iso to boost up a third person to complete my team as i needed to boost my panther a bit (as I have always liked the idea of collecting green with daken placing strike tiles... then collecting some black... using patch's move, and then panther's black move and just mass murder everything :p)

I'll definitely have to stop using Mags as much as I have, but it was fun while it lasted.

Anyway, I'm sitting at 104k in PvE. Need 120k for a Beast cover. Can I do it? Dun dun dunnnnn.

I'm at 112k. I think one more round after everything refreshes back to full points will do it.

I'll be getting my Yellow Lazy Thor, as well. What a wonderful day!

Malmorian

I just played my 1st round today and saw what happened to Mags. What. The Fuck.

Whelp, there goes tons of progress on that char AND they changed his color! FUCK

zulux21

I just played my 1st round today and saw what happened to Mags. What. The Fuck.

Whelp, there goes tons of progress on that char AND they changed his color! FUCK

to be fair, it's not like they nerfed him to an unplayable state like some other characters....
they just made him into a new character that doesn't play well with any of the people he used to play well with and is possibly overshadowed by characters like falcon or black panther due to his change from purple to yellow.

either way I don't own him anymore because I would rather use panther...
though to be fair I doubt I will be doing anything but logging in to do the daily for a while. I need some new modes/character I care about before I am motivated again.

NineH

I can finally stop grinding now that I got my 120000 Beast cover. I thought this PvE was less of a slog than the last one we just had though.

Malmorian

to be fair, it's not like they nerfed him to an unplayable state like some other characters....
they just made him into a new character that doesn't play well with any of the people he used to play well with and is possibly overshadowed by characters like falcon or black panther due to his change from purple to yellow.

either way I don't own him anymore because I would rather use panther...
though to be fair I doubt I will be doing anything but logging in to do the daily for a while. I need some new modes/character I care about before I am motivated again.

Yeah this is true...just kills me that I had just gotten the covers to finally make Mags badass, so I never got to use him. Also, yeah he was OP.

zulux21

Yeah this is true...just kills me that I had just gotten the covers to finally make Mags badass, so I never got to use him. Also, yeah he was OP.

I still don't get why it seems to be their goal to make matches take as long as possible.
to me far better design would be to work on making less used characters more powerful (yes rags and spidy for sure needed to be nerfed some, mags was OP compared to the rest but debatable if he needed to be nerfed or if you could have just brought everyone else up to his level) Faster matches in general would be more enjoyable to me, and more powerful characters would mean that it would require you to use health packs quicker, which is a win for them.

though perhaps if they continue to do things to drive people away they will end up just creating like a $20 version of the game that has all of the events and ways for you to get a max level roster with all characters in like 100 hours and discontinue this one and rework a new system for the next game.... one can dream right I mean they aren't even in the top 100 games being played on steam anymore... don't know how they are doing on the mobile front though.

Alright, got my 120k reward Beast cover, sitting at 43rd overall in my bracket for the PvE. Hoping for a top 50, which would max my Lazy Thor covers. Otherwise I get a green and would still need a yellow. Crossing fingers...

Also, the Surgical Strike team-up from X-Force Wolvie is pretty damned good.

zulux21

just because I could :p
bb8e7ccaab.jpg
I also seem to have ended up as rank 76 in my pve bracket.

I do know when I need to get some points fast
green/black boost
+3 all boost
patch green move + panther black move = end of match fast lol.

at least the green thor cover will give me my first usable cover in like a month :p

Dispatch

Of my ten Heroic covers, I received 4 I can actually use:

Hulk Red
Hood Yellow
Black Panther Black
Daken Blue

That is easily the luckiest I have been with this game. Of course, I would have rather pulled a Hulk Black and a Hood Blue.

Nocturnx

I just pulled a green X-Force Wolvy from a token. Seeing that gold card appear is like Christmas morning all over again lol. I might have to start leveling him now that I can get him up to 111.

Nocturnx

Just pulled my 10-pack. Got quite a few useful covers.

Daken Blue
Human Torch Black
Human Torch Green
Sentry Red
Storm Mohawk Green

That's the best 10-pack I've ever pulled before.

komarkaze

Ugh, the last two 10 packs have been nothing but 2 star covers for me. Though I guess I need more ISO to feed to my 3 star characters that are starting to move beyond level 100.

Is it worth investing in Psylocke, Loki and classic Magneto, which are all around level 91 and can be brought up to 102, or sell them off?

zulux21

The more stars a cover has the quicker it recovers/heals right?

yes and no
the healing rate is partially character dependent partially rank dependent. if the character is a healing type, wolverine and others they heal faster. if they are higher rank they heal faster...

but higher ranks also have more life and the rate change isn't fast enough to make up for it. aka a 3 star will gain more hp per minute then a 1 star, but it will take the 3 star hours to heal while the one star only needs like 15 minutes.

my simulator rewards were amazing :p
and this is why I can't even be bothered to care about tokens anymore :p

Nocturnx

Thor is so lazy. Imagine the things he could accomplish if you could get him to put that bag of Doritos down and get off the couch.

Yeesh, only 10 out of 20 in my clan played yesterday, slackers.

Got my Yellow LThor. Green is full. At least I have all of his powers, now. So begins the looooong road to filling up his covers.

Sorry, GAF-Vengers. I will have to take a few days off in the near future as I travel to China. Hopefully it's not during a crucial event.

Got my Yellow LThor. Green is full. At least I have all of his powers, now. So begins the looooong road to filling up his covers.

Sorry, GAF-Vengers. I will have to take a few days off in the near future as I travel to China. Hopefully it's not during a crucial event.

We haven't had a full twenty in MONTHS. Enjoy China!

NineH

Womp womp, ended up 52nd, only got a green lazy Thor.

I know that pain, I got 51st place. Thankfully I have maxed Lazy Thor already and only did the event to get the 120k Beast. Although it would have been nice to get an extra 2000 iso, 1000 extra for placement and 1000 for selling the 2 covers I wouldn't have needed.

komarkaze

The SHIELD tourney gives you matches that net you up to 50 per match, so that's the fastest way to climb rank.

New PVE event will be rewarding Colussus. I hate these events because no matter how much I grind, I always end up at least 50 spots outside the top 150.

The SHIELD tourney gives you matches that net you up to 50 per match, so that's the fastest way to climb rank.

The trick is to start them later on, like 10-12 hours in. This event in particular--Heroic Jugg\Venom work the same--you can really join whenever because it doesn't have more stages.

zulux21

New PVE event will be rewarding Colussus. I hate these events because no matter how much I grind, I always end up at least 50 spots outside the top 150.

try joining with like 8-12 or so hours to go in the event. clear the pve, wait for the refresh, clear the pve, and then just grind in the last two hours or so. You should end up around top 50 (or at least I usually do by doing this)

The trick is to start them later on, like 10-12 hours in. This event in particular--Heroic Jugg\Venom work the same--you can really join whenever because it doesn't have more stages.

if you want both the progression and top 100 rewards that is the best route to go, but you can still easily end up outside the top 150 if you are busy for a single day of the event and can't clear the event 2-3 times in a given day.

I think it's more about timing in the PVE events. You have to balance the grinding with waiting for the points to go up.
(edit: they already answered this while I was typing...)

I guess I messed up by starting Juggs already!

Jesus, now they have Colossus, Steve Rogers and the Season 5 ending going at the same time. I WANT THEM ALL.

komarkaze

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I started the Juggernaut PVE already. I find that if I start it too late, I won't be able to get the last progression reward, which is usually a guaranteed 3 star cover. Trying to place in the top 150 has always been stressful for me, but I guess it means I need to start way later.

shaowebb

I like how Colossus seems to have a thing for being on the front line and taking less damage while there or dealing more while there. Its unique and very fitting. The Fast Ball Special is DEFINITELY the thing I want him for though. I'd like to try him with Iron Man 40 sometime. See if I can't make some use outta the fastball for a way to get Ironman's attacks off.

Spoit

I like how Colossus seems to have a thing for being on the front line and taking less damage while there or dealing more while there. Its unique and very fitting. The Fast Ball Special is DEFINITELY the thing I want him for though. I'd like to try him with Iron Man 40 sometime. See if I can't make some use outta the fastball for a way to get Ironman's attacks off.

Sure, but even though that's probably the most cost effective way to use it, even if you ignore how they're roughly twice as much AP as they should be, IM40's attacks suuuuuuck to begin with. You'd probably be better off throwing even, like, most of the viable 2*

EDIT: if for some godforsaken reason you actually have him maxed, his red only does about as much as DP's or HT's reds, both of which are effectively 6, and his blue's AoE is only marginally more than the splash damage of CtS, ignoring the extra damage on the targeted person

shaowebb

Sure, but even though that's probably the most cost effective way to use it, even if you ignore how they're roughly twice as much AP as they should be, IM40's attacks suuuuuuck to begin with. You'd probably be better off throwing even, like, most of the viable 2*

EDIT: if for some godforsaken reason you actually have him maxed, his red only does about as much as DP's or HT's reds, both of which are effectively 6, and his blue's AoE is only marginally more than the splash damage of CtS, ignoring the extra damage on the targeted person

Suppose you got me there. Still its a good way to actually keep him around. I like IM 40's battery potential on teams.He's fun. A built colossus might let me enjoy it more and occassionally make use of an ability other than that of whoever my third is.

Spoit

Suppose you got me there. Still its a good way to actually keep him around. I like IM 40's battery potential on teams.He's fun. A built colossus might let me enjoy it more and occassionally make use of an ability other than that of whoever my third is.

Sure, but then you're spending 13 AP on a 6-8 AP move

shaowebb

Sure, but then you're spending 13 AP on a 6-8 AP move

Ballistic Salvo still costs me 20 and Unibeam is 13. I don't have full covers for IM 40. I'd be getting the battery maneuver off on my own with IM 40. I'd be using Colossus to set up the occassional popoff of his other stuff for fun and to protect him. Ballistic Salvo is likely the most expensive move I have in my whole roster. I'd just like to see it occassionally with Colossus' help is all I'm saying. If I'm using him to let me enjoy my battery longer in PVP generic arenas its pretty much a fun bonus that he could potentially let me pop off a move I'd never fish AP for in matches otherwise.

Just trying to have fun and use more than the same lineup I usually use here. Besides...occassionally it leads me to finding out some things work better than I anticipate in certain brackets. I'm getting some pretty nice results lately by placing oddballs with Black Panther and Punisher.

Hawkeye is super fun this event, I may actually give that purple power the 5th cover when I get another (currently 4/5/4 with him).

I couldn't play this morning, not until about 45 min ago, and wow I was dropped down to 489th or something in PvE. Worked my way back up to 99th, but man, this is gonna be some work now. Good thing tomorrow is fully clear.

shaowebb

If I recall correctly, purple is now "Speed Shot," where a 5-match creates some countdown purple tiles that hit the target, at least in this event where he's buffed, for 1000+.

Well over a 1000 most times unless you lose a countdown tile. KO-ed an Ares with him...had to be high 2000 to 3000 ish to pull that off. Mine is only like level 50's right now since I had never used Iso on him till today. Really enjoying this. I also got a 3 star Thor cover out of this stuff today. Having All cover M. Hawkeye, Lazy Thor, and a High Level Hulk really is making this Colossus event doable for me. I screwed around a lot today though and didn't grind. Was at 17 or under when I first started, but then I watched Smash Streams all day and went to like the 70's lol.

Oh well, its a fun weekend. Hawkeye is cool and I'm getting to enjoy a little bit of buffed up Birdman. Always enjoyable.

Triz

My hawk eye is 85 I just rarely used him unless buffed. The match 5 creates 3 ticking 1k points at 3 purple covers.

Top Bottom