• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

What's the best build for Hulk? I recently maxed out my covers at 5/5/3. But then this morning I got a Black cover (from a 1 star token!) so now I'm contemplating whether to rebuild. I'm thinking of going 5/4/4 because his Red power costs 14 and it doesn't do as much damage as I like compared to the cost. Also the 30% team damage risk makes it less likely for me to use the Red power.

According to the guy who wrote a big guide on the MPQ forums, go 5/3/5. Sounds smart, since Anger is indeed quite badass as it gets more powerful. I'm at 5/1/2 right now. Really need more black covers for him!

NorthernPolarity said:
Ideal Build: 5/3/5. Anger is the reason why he's so good and needs to be maxed out. Honestly, you aren't going to be using either of the other skills on offense since there's typically better, so the other points don't really matter. I think 5 green has a slight edge on 5 red because on defense, Hulk is more likely to use green than red due to anger making green tiles. Levels in green also secretly increase the base damage of the skill, so that's useful to have.

Spoit

5 Green and black. His red costs too much for what it does (as does his green, but at least the green has a chance of being cast).

Really, the only reason you'd use hulk is to sacrifce him for anger to get AP to use on an actually good character

shaowebb

I agree that 5 green/ 3 red/ 5 black is by far the best build for him. I also second that he is mainly a healthy and annoying battery. You will only have him using his green if he is the last man standing as there are quite a few who spend his green better than him you can place on teams with him. The good thing though is Hulk has Green tile priority over such characters in most cases so he works. He also acts as a good deterrent to opponents in the lower 100 realm of matches as he is just healthy enough and annoying enough to be too long a fight to put up with in PVP.

I've been building mine for awhile now. He only needs one more Black and he's done aside for me leveling him higher. This event should be fun for me if I bother. I'm kind of enjoying the break though and I don't really need more Iron Man 40 at the moment. Just thinking I'll do some art or possibly Smash Bros instead. This game has taken too much time for me lately and The Gauntlet made me realize how much of a job it was becoming.

I agree that 5 green/ 3 red/ 5 black is by far the best build for him. I also second that he is mainly a healthy and annoying battery. You will only have him using his green if he is the last man standing as there are quite a few who spend his green better than him you can place on teams with him. The good thing though is Hulk has Green tile priority over such characters in most cases so he works. He also acts as a good deterrent to opponents in the lower 100 realm of matches as he is just healthy enough and annoying enough to be too long a fight to put up with in PVP.

I've been building mine for awhile now. He only needs one more Black and he's done aside for me leveling him higher. This event should be fun for me if I bother. I'm kind of enjoying the break though and I don't really need more Iron Man 40 at the moment. Just thinking I'll do some art or possibly Smash Bros instead. This game has taken too much time for me lately and The Gauntlet made me realize how much of a job it was becoming.

It's like I don't even know who you are anymore.

I agree on the 5/3/5 build for Hulk, he's a good tank to take a bunch of hits, and then fuels Thor's green (at least for my own usage).

I'm not even going to try in this Guantlet finale, it's just silly hard.

However, this PvP is going alright. Cap/BP/Hulk is a nice team for me, even if I don't need the IM40s.

shaowebb

It's like I don't even know who you are anymore.

Its been a busy year since I started this game. I've changed companies twice, finished the equivalent of 3 semesters in 1 and half semesters to obtain 2 degrees, moved, had to go through unionizing and contract negotiations and I've had to do a LOT of industrial training. Currently I'm in a position to yet again move into other areas in my field and if I do so it'll mean (yet again) massive new training on the job, but potentially an income doubling for me (again).

I just have a busy life. Downtime is something I'd prefer feel less like work these days. Hell, I have a fighting game project that hasn't budged since January due to all these changes. Plus I'm starting shift rotation on top of all this. Too much man...its a game and I enjoy it, but its more of a grind than entertainment lately. Maybe if the reward system got reworked or if something insane popped up relative to my interests like Iron Fist.

For now, I'll just continue taking it easy while I can.

I just have a busy life. Downtime is something I'd prefer feel less like work these days. Hell, I have a fighting game project that hasn't budged since January due to all these changes. Plus I'm starting shift rotation on top of all this. Too much man...its a game and I enjoy it, but its more of a grind than entertainment lately. Maybe if the reward system got reworked or if something insane popped up relative to my interests like Iron Fist.

For now, I'll just continue taking it easy while I can.

I totally understand. I am self-employed and never have a set schedule, just things I need to get done every day, so I can play every few hours. It's actually the perfect game for me!

It can get oppressive, though. Especially because I want to rank highly in the seasons for those 10-packs.

You making a fighting game? If you need a gamedev lawyer, you know who to call :)

I'm not even going to try in this Guantlet finale, it's just silly hard.

However, this PvP is going alright. Cap/BP/Hulk is a nice team for me, even if I don't need the IM40s.

I've only done the first fight, but I have no desire to even bother trying. The good thing about the Gauntlet that I realized all too late was that it's excellent for getting Team-Ups. Dumped all my crappy level 94-110 team-ups and got quite a few good ones while clearing the end of the second tier for Gauntlet.

I haven't needed IM40 covers for ages, and I ignored Real Steel because I have had 5/3/5 Hulk for quite a while. But I need ISO and I figure IM40 covers sell for like 500 a pop, plus placing in top 50 gets you what, 1k? Meh, I'll give it a go. Plus I need to work towards my 10 Pack of Heroics. Need all those MN Mags and Starfires.

You're better off doing Shield tourney to get Season 6 points. I'm getting 30-50 each fight, way more than I'd get in the Hulk tourney.

You're better off doing Shield tourney to get Season 6 points. I'm getting 30-50 each fight, way more than I'd get in the Hulk tourney.

You eventually hit a limit with that. I usually wait until the halfway point of the season so I can fight joke teams for a crapload of points. Last season I got up to like 1100 or 1200 on there with relative ease. I just assume I'll have that many points by seasons end, but in the mean time working towards a decent placing isn't a bad idea.

You eventually hit a limit with that. I usually wait until the halfway point of the season so I can fight joke teams for a crapload of points. Last season I got up to like 1100 or 1200 on there with relative ease. I just assume I'll have that many points by seasons end, but in the mean time working towards a decent placing isn't a bad idea.

Yeah, I may have messed up. Now everything is 20-25. However, I'm sure people will get above me and I'll be able to grind more.

The teams are usually easier, though. At least for now...

Me too, though I also just like shiny new characters, even if I can't put them to good use for a while.

Also trying hard in this IM40 PvP, I need some lazy Dakens badly.

Me too, though I also just like shiny new characters, even if I can't put them to good use for a while.

Also trying hard in this IM40 PvP, I need some lazy Dakens badly.

I forgot to set an alarm for when my shield broke, so I was exposed for an hour and lost a shitton of points. Super depressing. Got back about half of it, but best I can hope for is top 25. I guess that'll have to do (I was #7 before shield broke).

I forgot to set an alarm for when my shield broke, so I was exposed for an hour and lost a shitton of points. Super depressing. Got back about half of it, but best I can hope for is top 25. I guess that'll have to do (I was #7 before shield broke).
Ugh, that's the worst. Overnight I gained 43 points on won attacks while shielded. Think I managed to get up to 530ish points this morning before work, I'm sitting around 15th currently. I'll work on that later tonight.

Ugh, that's the worst. Overnight I gained 43 points on won attacks while shielded. Think I managed to get up to 530ish points this morning before work, I'm sitting around 15th currently. I'll work on that later tonight.

I broke 700 while shielded overnight. Feels good.

Looks like I managed 23rd in IM40 PvP, just over 900 pts, good enough for a purple and black cover. Now I've finally got 1/1/1 for lazy Daken, and might actually use him from time to time.

Also well on my way to a Doc Ock, at least so far this early in the event. Hawkguy with his Speed Shot is so good.

shaowebb

I have 4 Hawkeye covers sitting in my collection. I wonder if its worth it now to buy a roster spot and start building him up again...

Yes. I put him on a team with Ironman 40, and Thor and the amount of fuel and cascading for stuff was great. There was always some sort of battery action or attack happening. If there was a Daken I'd use Ironman 40 if it was good to use green I'd use Thor. When I use Thor I typically get a 5 of a kind and a character kill or near kill. Works better with MN Magneto + Thor too, but we use whats allowed.

Modern Hawkeye is good now.

Yes. I put him on a team with Ironman 40, and Thor and the amount of fuel and cascading for stuff was great. There was always some sort of battery action or attack happening. If there was a Daken I'd use Ironman 40 if it was good to use green I'd use Thor. When I use Thor I typically get a 5 of a kind and a character kill or near kill. Works better with MN Magneto + Thor too, but we use whats allowed.

Modern Hawkeye is good now.

Did they change Modern Hawkeye? I have all of his covers but never used him.
Wouldn't IM40 and Thor not pair well since they are both red/yellow heavy?

shaowebb

Did they change Modern Hawkeye? I have all of his covers but never used him.
Wouldn't IM40 and Thor not pair well since they are both red/yellow heavy?

Yeah but the rest of the crew didn't have much health. It was PVE and my options are limited. It did give me a pretty nice setup to either go for 5 of a kind cascades or shoot for IM 40 battery fun. IM40 is a character I really enjoy using on teams when I get the chance anyways. The way I use the team is generally if I use IM 40's yellow he almost instantly gets another since he builds up enough red for Thor to use to generate even more yellow. They aren't bad together really. Plus it gives you someone to use Blue and he self feeds that.

If I use the team with yellow going to IM 40 it pretty much goes him using up yellow blue, and Thor using up Red Green. If I shoot the other way and use Yellow on Thor then its Thor taking Yellow Green, Hawkeye being fed blue red and speed shot off of 5 of a kinds. Its sort of a team that functions well so long as Thor doesn't go down first as he works well in 2 man teams with either. I often run IM 40, Thor, Doom and just use IM 40 +thor setup as a method of netting a lot of stuff for Doom. Its pretty fun. Not the best team, but after awhile playing the same stuff is old.

Hot damn! Daily reward was a 2-star Heroic token, pulled a yellow Fury cover, my first cover at all for him. Audibly exclaimed "oh shit!"

Also, new lazy Cap PvP awards Doc Ock covers. Do want.

zulux21

I definitely worked much harder than you, but I got TWO Doc Ock covers.

*cries*

If I hadn't forgotten to go back and spend 15 more minutes redoing the high point nodes I likely would have gotten two as I ended up 39th. but alas Doc Ock doesn't look very interesting to me so I didn't care enough to remember >.>;

in other news I love how they never gave away spiderman before he was nerfed, but now he seems to be the prize in any long event that doesn't have a new character as a prize... now that no one really wants him.

I mistakenly sunk a bunch of ISO into Spidey. Although, I like to pair him with my GSBW so I'm making shields as I match purple to fuel her green.

Doc Ock is looking pretty crappy. I'll have to see after he is buffed in a tourney for a preview of him at full power.

zulux21

so I missed this earlier... but wolverine is about to get some company as a character with a 2/3/4 star version

Thor is getting a 4 star version... hopefully she will have some new moves.

Also devil dino is becoming a playable character.
source

Spidey's cool. Of course even more so when buffed, gotta love that protect tile ability.

spidy is cool if you like trying to win with the worst characters in the game :p

some other news is with the next patch team up tiles will get their own boosts to start with some or do more damage with them, and will be included in teh +3 to all AP
you will be able to decline team ups as you get them
Boosts may now drop after missions. Team-Ups drop less frequently.
most of the rest of the patch you don't need to care about... source

Well sure, there haven't been many opportunities to put her in a game since the announcement. Only maybe in Marvel Heroes or something.

I can't believe it's been almost a year for me playing this (since the Steam launch).

NineH

I wanted to grind the PvE to get the Doc Ock progression reward but had things to do tonight so I couldn't get more points. It's going to suck being close to the reward and not getting it. At least its only Doctor Octopus and he sucks anyway but I would have liked to get him for completion's sake and all that.

ScrubJay

Well you still have 3 more days in the event and the points go way up in the last couple of sub events. It should still be possible, I just got the reward today.

NineH

I sure hope the points spike up but having this next subevent end close to the black panther pvp sucks since I would rather try and get more Sentry covers than grind. Why don't they space these out better although we all know its greed since health packs = $$$

I started the Black Panther PvP and got my ass kicked. So nooope, might need to tank again soon.

Also I have amazing luck with standard tokens lately. Got Hood covers and a Hulk or two the other day.

Triz

250 points away from my first ever heroic 10 pack reward. I can't wait till the game disappoints me yet again.

Top Bottom