• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Credo

Is it me....or has the AI bumped up quite a bit? I'm losing many many more games than I used to. Sometimes the AI just gets cascade after cascade after cascade. It's frustrating as hell.

I almost made this exact post last night. I was in a hard difficulty match in the PvE event, and the enemy took 3500 health from my Grey Suit Widow in one turn, killing her and my chance of winning.

zulux21

A 4 star character that literally every single team has maxed out? That's bullshit and instantly gameunfunning.

not every team, I still see plenty without him.
beyond that the only reason you see that so much is because of how long you could get covers with him, I mean I have like 7 covers for him (and even if he had more I would likely still choose patch over him) and only like 3 for inviso woman and no fury covers... I have 4 dino covers be he rather sucks so yeah lol.

not every team, I still see plenty without him.
beyond that the only reason you see that so much is because of how long you could get covers with him, I mean I have like 7 covers for him (and even if he had more I would likely still choose patch over him) and only like 3 for inviso woman and no fury covers... I have 4 dino covers be he rather sucks so yeah lol.

I don't know, man. I have him pretty much maxed cover wise for the same reasons, but I still think he's OP. Maybe it was just seeing him in every lightning round match, I don't know.

Just the first time I've really run into a charac I literally refuse to play against.

zulux21

I don't know, man. I have him pretty much maxed cover wise for the same reasons, but I still think he's OP. Maybe it was just seeing him in every lightning round match, I don't know.

Just the first time I've really run into a charac I literally refuse to play against.

I haven't had any issues with him, his green move does some damage but nothing out of line with it's cost especially if you compare it to something like 3 star thor.
his black move is interesting and can be painful but it costs enough that as long as you don't ignore black he likely won't get it off.
As for his yellow move it's fun due to being able to do some damage as well, but as long as you save him until you can kill him quickly it's a lot less annoying then something like patch's heal.

Overall Patch still scares me more as an opponent then x force does, and fury still is more annoying than xforce.

I haven't had any issues with him, his green move does some damage but nothing out of line with it's cost especially if you compare it to something like 3 star thor.
his black move is interesting and can be painful but it costs enough that as long as you don't ignore black he likely won't get it off.
As for his yellow move it's fun due to being able to do some damage as well, but as long as you save him until you can kill him quickly it's a lot less annoying then something like patch's heal.

Overall Patch still scares me more as an opponent then x force does, and fury still is more annoying than xforce.

Thank you as always for talking me down from my MPQ ledge with sense and evidentiary support.

zulux21

Thank you as always for talking me down from my MPQ ledge with sense and evidentiary support.

Don't get me wrong it is annoying seeing the same characters all the time, but I can't think of any characters that are obviously broken anymore like spidy, mags and rags were.

The new thor is also interesting but I don't see her being as deadly as the 3 star thor as her move costs seem to high to really build up charge titles for her red move.

shaowebb

Don't get me wrong it is annoying seeing the same characters all the time, but I can't think of any characters that are obviously broken anymore like spidy, mags and rags were.

The new thor is also interesting but I don't see her being as deadly as the 3 star thor as her move costs seem to high to really build up charge titles for her red move.

Yeah. You'd need a red battery to make her work. We got blue battery characters but outside of maybe using Iron Man 40 I don't see her getting to pop off on things as well as Lazy Thor.

Blank!

Rank 1 in a Lightning round with a level 40 juggernaut and a rotating filler spot (3 cover 2 star storm, 1 cover 3 star Hood/Patch)... lol?

And a 2nd one, wooo. Now if I just have the roster space to open up half these packs....

Rank 1 in a Lightning round with a level 40 juggernaut and a rotating filler spot (3 cover 2 star storm, 1 cover 3 star Hood/Patch)... lol?

And a 2nd one, wooo. Now if I just have the roster space to open up half these packs....

I was just going to ask about this...did they cut the pool size down to 10 players in these Lightning Rounds? In twelve months I've probably played 3 Lighting Rounds because I just can't compete....but now I'm landing top 5 today? Something's up.

Spoit

You realize that the special tiles she generates do 3 AP rather than 1 right? And even if not, 10/12/9 is a little bit cheaper than 8/12/14 in terms of you know, numbers

At max level, a blue->red combo will one shot everyone other than, like, a boosted hulk

New PvE, top 200 get 2-star Ms Marvel, new character. Decent powers, her usefulness reminds me of 2-star Torch.

And the Season VII Thor rewards are only for the top 100 alliances.

zulux21

You realize that the special tiles she generates do 3 AP rather than 1 right? And even if not, 10/12/9 is a little bit cheaper than 8/12/14 in terms of you know, numbers

At max level, a blue->red combo will one shot everyone other than, like, a boosted hulk

actually when I posted that I had not seen her charged tiles yet, thus she is decently more interesting. I will likely never use her because it will be about 10 years before I get enough covers and iso to level her up, but still she isn't bad in the lightning round at least.

shaowebb

I wonder when we'll see the next battery character appear? So far we got what...Doom, MN Mags, Storms, GS Widow, Thor, IM 40?

I feel like I'm forgetting a few, but thats essentially Black, Blue, Misc with the Storms, Green, Green/Yellow, and Red/Blue/Green/Purple/Black. Thats not counting folks with thief abilities like Widow and Hood too.

I dunno...feels like we could use a dedicated Red, and a dedicated Purple battery character. Though given the current meta that may well be a ticket to broken tier tactics.

Spoit

I wonder when we'll see the next battery character appear? So far we got what...Doom, MN Mags, Storms, GS Widow, Thor, IM 40?

I feel like I'm forgetting a few, but thats essentially Black, Blue, Misc with the Storms, Green, Green/Yellow, and Red/Blue/Green/Purple/Black. Thats not counting folks with thief abilities like Widow and Hood too.

I dunno...feels like we could use a dedicated Red, and a dedicated Purple battery character. Though given the current meta that may well be a ticket to broken tier tactics.

The problem is that purple seems to be the designated generator color, so generating it might be problematic

Dalek

being that I'm still relatively new to this-can you explain what a "Battery" character is?

zulux21

being that I'm still relatively new to this-can you explain what a "Battery" character is?

Batteries power things in general, thus a battery character would be a character that is good at generating energy. For example thor with his yellow move puts a bunch of green tiles on the board and thus is a battery for green. For a long time there Thor + storm + oasis level = death for your enemy as soon as you got 5 red lol.

alternatively, they are a character that when they attack you hear this song or this song but currently no such characters exist in MPQ :p

mreddie

So I suddenly got Captain Marvel but I'm doing the new event with Cap and one of the rewards is Classic Ms. Marvel. Should I keep both or replace one?

Credo

I need some advice. I've run out of space for new characters and need to drop a couple of mine. I'll list some of my characters who only have one point in a single skill, and I'd appreciate it if anyone could recommend who to drop, taking into account future PvE events that require you to use certain characters in certain battles.

With that said, my single point, single skill characters are:

- Ragnarok (Dark Avengers Thor)
- Doctor Doom (Classic)
- Storm (Mohawk)
- Daken (Classic)
- Falcon (Mighty Avengers)
- The Hood (Classic)
- Loki (Dark Reign)

So I suddenly got Captain Marvel but I'm doing the new event with Cap and one of the rewards is Classic Ms. Marvel. Should I keep both or replace one?
Captain is a 3-star, while Ms is a 2-star. If the Human Torch situation is any indication, you'll have many covers for the 2-star Ms Marvel in short time.

Blank!

Pulled 8 devilsaur covers out of 19 packs I won from lightning rounds (and a Nick Fury). Meanwhile, my only maxed 1 star is Juggernaut. Fuck the 1-2 star transition, I'm going 1 to 4.

Pulled 8 devilsaur covers out of 19 packs I won from lightning rounds (and a Nick Fury). Meanwhile, my only maxed 1 star is Juggernaut. Fuck the 1-2 star transition, I'm going 1 to 4.

Whatever you do, keep your high cards. I have 48 characters and haven't pulled a single Fury yet.

Blank!

Whatever you do, keep your high cards. I have 48 characters and haven't pulled a single Fury yet.

doing my best to hold everything but some 1-drops and poor 2 drops (fu bagman). Also got rid of a a ragnarok 3 star thinking of ditching the black widow 3 star I won too.

Credo

You will likely see a million classic Daken. You'll get more chances for him. KEEP the rest save maybe Rags.

Thanks for the advice!

On another note, I know there's no way to prove it because the developers would never admit to it, but after the last 3 days, I would bet a decent amount of money that there's some kind of rubberbanding code in this game's DNA.

zulux21

Thanks for the advice!

On another note, I now there's no way to prove it because the developers would never admit to it, but after the last 3 days, I would bet a decent amount of money that there's some kind of rubberbanding code in this game's DNA.

in general you want to keep any 3 star character you find... but if you only have cover of any of the following...
Daredevil, Doctor Doom, Human Torch (Classic), Loki, Ragnarok, Wolverine (Patch), Punisher

you won't have to worry about them while season 7 is up as it's quite unlikely they will be used in events since you can't get them from packs during season 7.

I know that I got rid of 2 X-Force Wolvies months ago because he was awful and I didn't want to spend the $2 to add another slot. I've wisened up and just spend the money now. I could have had him maxed by now, or at least a lot closer!

Credo

I think I'm done with this game. The A.I. just had its 4th or 5th miraculous comeback of the day to the point that I just raged, which is something I've never done with a phone game before. I started with all 3 characters above 80% health on a normal difficulty map against a spy, Moonstone, and Ragnarok. I took the spy out quickly without taking much damage and all characters were fine except for Thor, who was down to about 50%. Once I got Moonstone down to about 25% of her health, the CPU got the biggest critical cascading chain I've ever seen, doing over 3000 damage to Thor and killing him, and bringing down my Widow to half health. After that, the CPU used 2 special attacks every turn until I was dead. I've never seen such ridiculous rubber-banding A.I. since Mario Kart 64.

im on steam but I only barely play anymore.

I need to get off the treadmill.

I play a few matches every day, and then grind out the final day of the 3 day events to land in top 100 to get another *** character. I usually grind out a few days per season to get the 10 pack as well.

It's gotten to the point where I'm actively avoiding downloading other games because it seems pointless since I have this Puzzle Quest job.

Dumb.

Dalek

I think I'm done with this game. The A.I. just had its 4th or 5th miraculous comeback of the day to the point that I just raged, which is something I've never done with a phone game before. I started with all 3 characters above 80% health on a normal difficulty map against a spy, Moonstone, and Ragnarok. I took the spy out quickly without taking much damage and all characters were fine except for Thor, who was down to about 50%. Once I got Moonstone down to about 25% of her health, the CPU got the biggest critical cascading chain I've ever seen, doing over 3000 damage to Thor and killing him, and bringing down my Widow to half health. After that, the CPU used 2 special attacks every turn until I was dead. I've never seen such ridiculous rubber-banding A.I. since Mario Kart 64.

I had a very similar experience this morning. You just throw up your hands in frustration. When the tiles fall down for the A.I.-they're all giant groups of the same color, creating one chain after another. How many times does that happen to you in your favor?

Credo

I had a very similar experience this morning. You just throw up your hands in frustration. When the tiles fall down for the A.I.-they're all giant groups of the same color, creating one chain after another. How many times does that happen to you in your favor?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it. It happens maybe once every three or four days for me but never on the level of their cascading effects. I've had over 3000 damage done to me from it nearly every day of the past week, and it screams, "got to catch up!" to me on the A.I.'s part.

zulux21

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it. It happens maybe once every three or four days for me but never on the level of their cascading effects. I've had over 3000 damage done to me from it nearly every day of the past week, and it screams, "got to catch up!" to me on the A.I.'s part.

I don't really have that issue, but at the same time until I make my move the AI is usually in front of me as I tend to stock up on AP until I can end them in one turn >.>;

though they do tend to have stupid good cascades after using a move like rags' destrroy two rows one

ScrubJay

Same thing happened last night.

Full health Sentry/Black Panther/Hood vs Punisher/Magneto/Hood in the PVP. I had the whole team down to half health after a Panther Black and punisher was down to double digits. Next turn the AI gets a 5 match and catches Magneto red, which erases half the board. I kid you not, the whole lower left half of the board falls into a solid green block. It erases 6k health from sentry from criticals alone, and now the AI cast every big move they had. 2 turns later my team was dead.

Mercifully, I had already hit my goal of the 800 hp prize so I just tanked down to 600 or so to get some easy opponents for ISO.

I have to add that having Falcon powered up is really nice in this event. Falcon + Daken = goodness. Toss Psylocke in there, too, and it's a really nice team. Of course it depends on the levels of your enemies, but it does work nicely with Daken's pointy tiles and Psylocke's punchies.

(Yes, pointies and punchies are what I call them.)

shaowebb

Blade has a passive that puts down friendly strike tiles if there is more than a certain amount of red on the board. Blade has another ability that places a tile that gets bonuses for every friendly strike tile.

Yeah we aint never gonna see a red battery lol. This coupled with all the other powers in the game means they ain't gonna do that again. Batteries aren't likely gonna get made again...mostly just more specialty tile folk due to ease of balancing.

Top Bottom