• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

It happened again. I was aiming for top 25 in the Mohawk PvP, because I wanted two Falcon covers. Got to 21st with 5 min left, figured I was safe. And here I am, checking the final results.... 26th. This is not the first time this has happened.

On a happier note, Daredevil is the best. I have him leveled at 108 I think right now, and he is pulling out all the stops for me. Trap tiles for days!

It happened again. I was aiming for top 25 in the Mohawk PvP, because I wanted two Falcon covers. Got to 21st with 5 min left, figured I was safe. And here I am, checking the final results.... 26th. This is not the first time this has happened.

On a happier note, Daredevil is the best. I have him leveled at 108 I think right now, and he is pulling out all the stops for me. Trap tiles for days!

He's always struck me as an amazing and perpetually underused charac. Those traps just always seemed so amazing and ruthless. Sure, you're at the whim of randomness, but god it feels so good when it works.

shaowebb

He's always struck me as an amazing and perpetually underused charac. Those traps just always seemed so amazing and ruthless. Sure, you're at the whim of randomness, but god it feels so good when it works.

He's a great character but you have a limited list of folks to fight sometimes. Daken will convert his tiles, and folks like Storm who pop and clear stuff in mass will wipe his tiles with no ill effect. With the current meta emphasizing tile placement he becomes more and more of a limited character to throw in the mix depending on the teams.

He's a great character but you have a limited list of folks to fight sometimes. Daken will convert his tiles, and folks like Storm who pop and clear stuff in mass will wipe his tiles with no ill effect. With the current meta emphasizing tile placement he becomes more and more of a limited character to throw in the mix depending on the teams.

I've been running him with Thor and, in this case, Ms Marvel. Thor would be used as a tank, and gets to launch high-powered attacks when I'm waiting for the other team to set off my trap tiles. It's working pretty well so far.

HildyB

So I'm just getting into this. I'm waiting for my 6+ to come this week before I create a FB profile to link it with you all.

My first question as I piddle around learning it, how are folks getting so many cover slots? Do you HAVE to drop cash on this game or is there a way without spending money on it.. at what point would I want to spend the money? I've saved (found) coins and bought 3 more cover slots so far and love it, but I'm building up so many covers that are just going to go to waste.

Pretty darn addicted already.

Dalek

So I'm just getting into this. I'm waiting for my 6+ to come this week before I create a FB profile to link it with you all.

My first question as I piddle around learning it, how are folks getting so many cover slots? Do you HAVE to drop cash on this game or is there a way without spending money on it.. at what point would I want to spend the money? I've saved (found) coins and bought 3 more cover slots so far and love it, but I'm building up so many covers that are just going to go to waste.

You don't really HAVE to drop money on it-but I did a few times, just to have some coins built up to buy spaces. My advice is to only use the coins to buy the spaces, never covers. I did spend some money on covers and I really got burned. It sucks to spend the rare coins and then get a Classic Hawkeye.

zulux21

It used to be easier to buy slots as you needed them but in a money grab update they made it so after slot 10 or so you have to buy them in packs that cost the same as they used to added up individually for those slots... thus instead of buying the one slot you need for a cover they force you to buy 3 at once, meaning you need much more HP.

that being said if you join a decent faction you can get some HP from that, and as long as you do well in events you can get enough that you don't have to pay.

I noticed there was an open spot in GAF-vengers and joined. Hoping it's a bit more active than GAF-kanda, which averages about 6 daily folks.

I don't know how anyone ranks high on the PvE events. I've put hours into some and I'm still somewhere in the middle. Its that BS timer that subtracts points, so grnding doesn't even help.

Ive pretty much settled on getting all
the point based prizes. And just cleaning up in PvP.

Edit: And can we get some new blood into the alliance? I don't think I've seen over thirteen on our daily plays in some time.

Fjord

On it Turbo.

Removed Thunderlips as he hasn't played for at least a season.

Are KidInsomnia or Anilones around? They haven't either but they're commanders.

So we've got an open slot if someone else wants to apply.

Mknzy

First post to the thread, but I've been playing for ages. Managed a decent 23rd in the recent event for two blade covers mostly just doing the essential missions every refresh. I think I am going to look to build Blade, I could use a 3* with a good, active purple.

Mknzy

On it Turbo.

I play regularly and have a fairly solid roster, but I only really do PvE events, not so much the PvP, so you may not want me for that reason. If you are interested, check out Mknzy in the private alliance Pa La Pinga. Off the top of my head I have XForce at 180, Lazy Thor, Black Panther, and Punisher at 166, and a few other 3* characters that have just reached or are close to having max covers.

Also I am sure there are people who have been here for far longer than I have been, so they should get priority.

Mknzy

I have him at level 147 and don't see his strengths. Maybe I am using him wrong but Patch is way better imo

The key to xforce is his black at five covers. It destroys every tile in the opposing teams strongest color, gaining ap for every tile shattered and drains them of up to ten ap in that color. Say you are running xforce and thor and you are facing a team also running Thor. If their strongest color is green and you activate xforces black, you basically kill all their progress twords using Call The Storm, all while generating tons of green twords your own Thor using it, and there is even good odds you will do over 4k to your target. At level 180 where I have him his black does around 460 damage for every tile matched at five covers. It's a devastating attack.

Yeah I've got several covers for X-Force except Black. Just one of those.

Also, this:
Z1vcpzo.png

The key to xforce is his black at five covers. It destroys every tile in the opposing teams strongest color, gaining ap for every tile shattered and drains them of up to ten ap in that color. Say you are running xforce and thor and you are facing a team also running Thor. If their strongest color is green and you activate xforces black, you basically kill all their progress twords using Call The Storm, all while generating tons of green twords your own Thor using it, and there is even good odds you will do over 4k to your target. At level 180 where I have him his black does around 460 damage for every tile matched at five covers. It's a devastating attack.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of explanation I was hoping for.

I have him at 3 green, 2 black and 2 yellow. That explains things.

So onto my next 4 star question. What is the purpose of Sue Storm's blue?

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of explanation I was hoping for.

I have him at 3 green, 2 black and 2 yellow. That explains things.

So onto my next 4 star question. What is the purpose of Sue Storm's blue?

It locks up a lot of tiles setting up for a devastating green attack. And it also gives you a crazy strong protect tile.

On the topic, I have the ability to level her up fully. Does anyone recommend it?

Mknzy

It locks up a lot of tiles setting up for a devastating green attack. And it also gives you a crazy strong protect tile.

On the topic, I have the ability to level her up fully. Does anyone recommend it?

I wouldn't bother with her her abilities require way too much setup for the cost to activate them. You would be better off maxing strong 3* characters over her. I've even heard her referenced to as bag lady.

I've been stagnant lately on playing - just trying to get to 300 for each of the pvp's. Though I'd like some more Ms. Marvel covers, so I may go HAM on this Beast PVP.

Been too busy dating girls lately to play a lot! What a terrible trade-off...

zulux21

On it Turbo.

yeah there are a few people who don't really play...
I at least log in nearly every day and do events from time to time as time permits.

i've been working a lot recently though, and have been playing terra battle right now instead as I find it quite a bit more enjoyable than this one at this time.

Once a character is added I care about though I will focus on that event... I meant to go after the last new character and beast but got distracted and forgot >.>;

I've been stagnant lately on playing - just trying to get to 300 for each of the pvp's. Though I'd like some more Ms. Marvel covers, so I may go HAM on this Beast PVP.

Been too busy dating girls lately to play a lot! What a terrible trade-off...

Just involve them with the game...
"that's right babe... slide that across there and make me critically attack ^_-"

Just involve them with the game...
"that's right babe... slide that across there and make me critically attack ^_-"

You may have just elevated me to another level of game with that one. The girl I'm dating right now doesn't speak any English, though...I'm not sure the translator app will capture the double entendre very well :p

shaowebb

Been clean for 5 days without Puzzle Quest. I do more art, play music and move more. Feels good man. Having two jobs was too hard.

Mknzy

So they are running what is in my opinion the best PvE event again, The Gauntlet. No leaderboards, no grinding, just play through the missions. Notable rewards include a 3* Black for Daken, a 3* Black Captain Marvel, and a 3* Blue Black Panther, which is a very hard to get and good cover. My Panther is 5/3/5 right now, so think I am gonna take that cover and make him 4/4/5 instead. Good hunting everyone!

So they are running what is in my opinion the best PvE event again, The Gauntlet. No leaderboards, no grinding, just play through the missions. Notable rewards include a 3* Black for Daken, a 3* Black Captain Marvel, and a 3* Blue Black Panther, which is a very hard to get and good cover. My Panther is 5/3/5 right now, so think I am gonna take that cover and make him 4/4/5 instead. Good hunting everyone!

How do the points work out? If I don't have Blade am I screwed from getting the 3* characters?

Mknzy

How do the points work out? If I don't have Blade am I screwed from getting the 3* characters?

UPDATE I looked through the rewards and the best chance you will have to get a Blade cover is from the couple of event tokens you can win 8^( There actually isn't a Blade cover in the basic reward pools, and the progression prizes for each set are fixed for that section, points don't transfer over. I hope you get lucky on your tokens.

UPDATE 2 I didn't think of the fact that the nodes are repeatable and you should only have to go through the main branch to unlock the next area, so you should have no trouble getting all the 3* covers even without Blade. I'll do it that way and let you know for sure once I have it done, but don't worry too much you should be able to grab all the 3* covers out of the event.

You can't repeat them for points. Blade is needed to get the other covers

That sucks. I didn't get a two star Marvel so I had no chance of getting Blade. Now that I don't have blade I'm missing on three over covers I could really use in this event.

This is why I hate PvE.

ScrubJay

Blade will be a prize in the Captain Marvel PVP starting tomorrow. You can do the regular nodes and then hit the Blade nodes after Sunday provided you win one.

Mknzy

That sucks. I didn't get a two star Marvel so I had no chance of getting Blade. Now that I don't have blade I'm missing on three over covers I could really use in this event.

This is why I hate PvE.

Sorry I was wrong on being able to repeat for points. 8^(

vato_loco

It's a very good game, with some really cool graphics and Marvel stuff.

It got to the point where I would have to start paying to advance in a moderately normal pace pretty fast, though. Suddenly leveling up characters got really ISO expensive.

Mknzy

It's a very good game, with some really cool graphics and Marvel stuff.

It got to the point where I would have to start paying to advance in a moderately normal pace pretty fast, though. Suddenly leveling up characters got really ISO expensive.

I won't lie and say I haven't bought some hero points here and there, mainly for roster slots. I don't really mind doing it though with how much time I have spent playing this game, I'm closing in on the one year mark. I've never bought iso though, never thought it was worth it. Sure it can be slow grinding iso out in PVP and PVE events, but it can be done, now I have XFORCE at 180 and 3 maxed out 3* characters, with several others that have gotten up fairly high.

Yeah I've never bought iso before, though I buy hero points on a regular basis. I'm approaching 1 year played after 600 hours, though, so I don't mind.

shaowebb

Kinda wish I could just trade covers with folks these days...it'd give me a nice way out and a way to give a newcomer and hand up towards the meat of the game.

Just got 26th in the latest PvP. Dammit!

Top Bottom