• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Had some good luck and pulled a Doc Ock and *** Cpt Marvel today.

That leaves Thorette, Wesley Snipes & Rocket/Groot as my missing ones.

For the first time in 386 days I'm ditching characters.The completionist in me hates this, but I'm not buying 1,300 more HP to unlock slots 52 & 53. So long Yelena, so long Classic Hawkeye. You were each so disappointing in your own, unique ways.

Had some good luck and pulled a Doc Ock and *** Cpt Marvel today.

That leaves Thorette, Wesley Snipes & Rocket/Groot as my missing ones.

For the first time in 386 days I'm ditching characters.The completionist in me hates this, but I'm not buying 1,300 more HP to unlock slots 52 & 53. So long Yelena, so long Classic Hawkeye. You were each so disappointing in your own, unique ways.
Luckily, I got Blade with all his powers from the first event. I like him more than I expected. I won't be so lucky with Rocket Groot. I will likely only get one cover due to stiff competition. Everyone is grinding for them and my roster is still comparatively small.

Oh I've been grinding, alright. Looks like I'll be top 50, giving me two covers for the Guardians.

I don't like how the new PvP setup throws you into one right away. I wind up having to claw back from like 400th. And I'd rather get the new characters than another IM40 cover or something.

Oh I've been grinding, alright. Looks like I'll be top 50, giving me two covers for the Guardians.

I don't like how the new PvP setup throws you into one right away. I wind up having to claw back from like 400th. And I'd rather get the new characters than another IM40 cover or something.

I actually don't mind it, but unlike you I hate the PVE events so I never grind for new characters there. I think the last time I did was when I finished 2nd to get the Punisher but I don't feel I could compete anymore

I actually don't mind it, but unlike you I hate the PVE events so I never grind for new characters there. I think the last time I did was when I finished 2nd to get the Punisher but I don't feel I could compete anymore
The PvE events are easier in my opinion as long as you have the required hero. Got another falcon from it just now.

Yeah, PvE is ridiculous. I don't know how anybody gets the top prizes. I'll clear all the levels, grind the 500 ISO nodes, replay the bonus levels every now and then, and still only rank ~300.

I mean, if I'm unlocking all the point prizes and still coming in the lower 2/3, I think there's a problem. Add on the fact most events require the new character to even compete, I don't even try anymore. I just go in and get the point prizes and maybe grind the 500 ISO battles. I can go into PvP and get to the top 50 in, like, 30 minutes.

Mknzy

If I put in the effort on a PvE to hit the essential nodes every refresh (Every 2h24m if I remember right) then I usually have no problem whatsoever pulling out a top 20 even with myself still mostly making the 3* transition. By the end the harder nodes are usually in the lower 200s for levels for me, but between rubber banding and regular hits I have no issue keeping my score high enough. I have barely tried on TaT so far, and I still should have no real problem pulling out a top 150.

If I put in the effort on a PvE to hit the essential nodes every refresh (Every 2h24m if I remember right) then I usually have no problem whatsoever pulling out a top 20 even with myself still mostly making the 3* transition. By the end the harder nodes are usually in the lower 200s for levels for me, but between rubber banding and regular hits I have no issue keeping my score high enough. I have barely tried on TaT so far, and I still should have no real problem pulling out a top 150.

Yeah there's no way I could do that.

Kinda disappointed. Didn't get much time to play today after playing almost the entire time before, dropped to the 70s, won't get two covers. Not cool.

As I said before, lot of people grinding made it hard to keep up. I was glad to get a top 2500 alliance reward too. That will help out the newer players a bit.

Dalek

I finished in 15th place!! I grinded so hard to try to get into the top 10 so I could get the yellow power. Just waiting on Rocket and Groot to arrive now. I got the coins and ISO already.

Edit: yay!

Mlp4N9p.png

zulux21

Yeah, PvE is ridiculous. I don't know how anybody gets the top prizes. I'll clear all the levels, grind the 500 ISO nodes, replay the bonus levels every now and then, and still only rank ~300.

>.>
If i wasn't playing payday and smash I could have easily gotten a top 10... as....

top 10 was only 11k in front of me and the nodes were giving me 2k+ each
<.<

I've said it before and I will say it again. If you want progression rewards start the event right away. If you want the top placement rewards start the event with 12-24 hours left. Typically doing that will make it so if you play all of the nodes once, wait until there is 5 hours left then play them again, let them refresh to full and play them one last time and you should have a top 50, if not a top 10.

Spoit

That only works if you're still in the starter brackets. If not, odds are that you'll be in a bracket that was open for days, and has people that already got points from previous subs (the rubberbanding only is off the current sub)

zulux21

That only works if you're still in the starter brackets. If not, odds are that you'll be in a bracket that was open for days, and has people that already got points from previous subs (the rubberbanding only is off the current sub)

I really shouldn't be in the starter brackets still as if I ever try anything in PVP all I have is 3+ star max level teams to face.

That's not to say that there isn't some people that clearly have been playing in the bracket for a while when I start, but in general I have never had issues with that method as there is still enough players in general that the 1k brackets fill up decently fast so they shouldn't be days old.

Got my 10-pack for the PvP season, only good things were Lazy Daken (now Lv 117) and Sentry.

Due to get another blue Rocket Groot from PvP tonight, and a green Rocket Groot with PvE progression rewards. And then I'm within range of my first Thorette if I keep things up in PvE.

All that and I'm trying to get my 8-year-old brother into MPQ, haha.

What a solid day.

My heroes are still too low level for much PvP. I get most of my rewards from the story events still.
In PvP, I usually get about 300-400 points before getting attacked by everyone and lose all the points.

Ape

Banned
My heroes are still too low level for much PvP. I get most of my rewards from the story events still.
In PvP, I usually get about 300-400 points before getting attacked by everyone and lose all the points.

Yeah, that's about where I am. Still, I can get the promoted cover character with that.

This game is a lot of fun! totally addicted right now.

Started an alliance, Psylocked if anyone wants to join and share characters. Not super competitive or anything, everyone is welcomed.

Spoit

I'm assuming he is talking about the brackets that the new players get put in until their background info pushes them into the more advanced brackets.
^
Also, (some but not all) players who haven't played in long time.

The matches it gives you has nothing to do with the bracketing it puts you in

Mknzy

I've not been trying hard on this one. Should get the progression reward but won't tank high enough for She-Thor. Not that worried about out as i haven't seen a four start as an essential character since they still offered packs where you were guaranteed one copy of the featured cover.

Spoit

I've not been trying hard on this one. Should get the progression reward but won't tank high enough for She-Thor. Not that worried about out as i haven't seen a four start as an essential character since they still offered packs where you were guaranteed one copy of the featured cover.

Fury wasn't essential after his pve? did he only get the pvp?

Mknzy

Fury wasn't essential after his pve? did he only get the pvp?

Yup he only got the pvp. The one 4* essential node I've ever seen was an IW node way back in the day. I think it may have been in TaT. Irritated a lot of people back then because she was very new at the time and very few people had access to her.

Triz

Well it finally happened...not a single *** in my 10 pack this season.

I figured they'd at least throw a bone if the first 9 are duds.
Happened to me last season and it's the reason I haven't even tried this season. For someone who's been playing more than a year, 2 stars are worthless. I think they need a way for long time players to get 3 star covers easier.

Happened to me last season and it's the reason I haven't even tried this season. For someone who's been playing more than a year, 2 stars are worthless. I think they need a way for long time players to get 3 star covers easier.

Exactly. I only have one maxed *** but I do use my level 100+ *** Characters as my primaries 90% of the time.

My 10 pack had three ** Ms Marvels but it doesn't matter, I will never use her. Just like the ** Johnny Storm. Honestly I wish they would stop releasing new ** characters.

Mknzy

Exactly. I only have one maxed *** but I do use my level 100+ *** Characters as my primaries 90% of the time.

My 10 pack had three ** Ms Marvels but it doesn't matter, I will never use her. Just like the ** Johnny Storm. Honestly I wish they would stop releasing new ** characters.

They won't stop releasing new 2* characters here and there because there are still new people starting every day and while transitioning from 1* to 2* characters isn't as long and grueling as going from 2* to 3* it is still there and having new characters at that level isn't necessarily a bad thing.

On an unrelated note this event has given me a newfound hatred for fighting doom. The amount of damage summon demons does at level 200+ with mobs fueling it is just stupid. My last fight i think it put down 6 that were pinging me for 300+ each every turn. You can only match them so fast especially if they are spread out and there isn't a lot of red on the board. Usually i get about half of them cleared and he triggers again. So aggravating.

zulux21

yay third place in my pve. I will get a female thor now... I think I am back to only missing fury now.

edit: nope I am missing blade as well.

What rank did the GAF alliances get in the groot event? I would like to see how far behind I am. We were only 2800 or so. Several new players in my alliance so it will take a while to get up to speed. Might be dropping 2 players if they aren't active soon.

Mknzy

What rank did the GAF alliances get in the groot event? I would like to see how far behind I am. We were only 2800 or so. Several new players in my alliance so it will take a while to get up to speed. Might be dropping 2 players if they aren't active soon.

If you get those two openings let me know, my friend and I will take them off of your hands.

I've said it before and I will say it again. If you want progression rewards start the event right away. If you want the top placement rewards start the event with 12-24 hours left. Typically doing that will make it so if you play all of the nodes once, wait until there is 5 hours left then play them again, let them refresh to full and play them one last time and you should have a top 50, if not a top 10.
It seems that waiting is better for progression rewards too. Starting later seems to make the nodes worth a lot more points so less grinding is required.

Mknzy

Encore Meet Rocket and Groot event is up! Rewards giving out the new Gamora covers. Fang-boy cover at 50000 points for progression. Also with She-Thor buffed, it's the first time I've seen a 4* character as a featured character outside of a PVP

Buffed characters
She-Thor
Fang-boy
Constipated Blue Dude
Shield Bro
Little Bic
Magnetic Ghost

Good luck everyone!

So I'm deciding if I want to wait to try this top placement theory with waiting to start.

If I do that, would I wait literally three days or whatever to start it? Or is that waiting until 12ish hours before the end of each subevent?

I've always done each event from the get-go so I'm not entirely sure how that strategy works.

Fighting for the top spot in the Psylocke PvP. Currently second with 770 pts, guy just recently jumped over me at 806 and shielded. I'll line up some fights for later, see what I can muster.

Is Ares the best ** character? He's pretty powerful offensively.

He's definitely up there. He's almost like a two-star Sentry, where he can dish out a lot of hurt but sometimes at the expense of his own health.

zulux21

So I'm deciding if I want to wait to try this top placement theory with waiting to start.

If I do that, would I wait literally three days or whatever to start it? Or is that waiting until 12ish hours before the end of each subevent?

I've always done each event from the get-go so I'm not entirely sure how that strategy works.
I wait days and ignore all subevents until the pve is mostly over. This strategy used to work a lot better but they reworked how joining events works, but at the very least if you join in the last day or so, you have at worst an equal chance of placing high compared to grinding the entire event and burning yourself out.

It seems that waiting is better for progression rewards too. Starting later seems to make the nodes worth a lot more points so less grinding is required.

if you are going for progression you want to jump into everything as soon as possible, but with the sub events only enter it and do the first node and another other nodes that are required to unlock the character locked nodes (aka you need a certain character to play them). Then you want to come back to them after a few hours when you are near last place and just grind them until you are near the top 100 or so then let it rest for a few more hours until the event is near finishing then you can go crazy. The points are usually rubber banded so when you are so far back you get a bunch more points, thus if you start ASAP your enemies have more time to get points and thus a higher point total can be reached before the rubber banding dies down.

Mknzy

Is Ares the best ** character? He's pretty powerful offensively.

He is surely one of the best but to me the best has to be unquestionably Original Black Widow. She heals, delays countdown tiles, and steals AP. I still use her regularly with multiple 3* characters on my roster, and she is buffed for events fairly regularly.

zulux21

He is surely one of the best but to me the best has to be unquestionably Original Black Widow. She heals, delays countdown tiles, and steals AP. I still use her regularly with multiple 3* characters on my roster, and she is buffed for events fairly regularly.

and don't forget how crazy she is with some strike tiles as her damage triggers twice when she is the one matching purple, black or blue :p

I agree though she is still the most useful 2 star. That being said a buffed ares is very painful.

The best 2 star though is prenerf wolverine though :p
before his nerf he would rain down damage especially when coupled with the boosts back then, but that was one character nerf and like 3 or 4 boost nerfs ago (back then a 3 pack of +3 to two colors was 100 iso and the +3 to all colors for a 3 pack was 200 iso :/)

Top Bottom