• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

There's absolutely no way I'll get through the third gauntlet, though. I'm getting my ass kicked on the second one (halfway through it) and it'll only get harder from here. These suck, but it's nice in that I can take some time away from the game (well, maybe 1 hour compared to 3).

The Gauntlet is pissing me off. Every time I get close to clearing the node, the AI gets a massive cascade and wipes me out. My time will be better spent in the pvp event.

Mknzy

For those requesting it!

The Gauntlet is on! Notable progression rewards include She-Rage Lawyer blue and Tricky Tricky Trickesters new green cover!

Powered Up Characters
Cosmic Lady
Crazy Raven
She-Rage Lawyer
Yellow Claw Man
Moonpie
Moderate Thunderstorms

Best of luck to everyone trying for Tricky Tricky Trickesters green, I know I am!

For those requesting it!

The Gauntlet is on! Notable progression rewards include She-Rage Lawyer blue and Tricky Tricky Trickesters new green cover!

Powered Up Characters
Cosmic Lady
Crazy Raven
She-Rage Lawyer
Yellow Claw Man
Moonpie
Moderate Thunderstorms

Best of luck to everyone trying for Tricky Tricky Trickesters green, I know I am!

So do I need to do every node in the 3rd gauntlet PLUS the bonus ones to get Loki?

Ugh. I hate this event.

Mknzy

So do I need to do every node in the 3rd gauntlet PLUS the bonus ones to get Loki?

Ugh. I hate this event.

No, you don't have to do every event. You should get the final points with 6-8 nodes left as long as you hit the essential nodes.

Personally I think this is my favorite event. You don't have to grind nodes, you just clear them one at at time and work your way through. The prizes aren't as good, but it's challenging near the end and less of a time waster.

Spoit

No, you don't have to do every event. You should get the final points with 6-8 nodes left as long as you hit the essential nodes.

Personally I think this is my favorite event. You don't have to grind nodes, you just clear them one at at time and work your way through. The prizes aren't as good, but it's challenging near the end and less of a time waster.

And more importantly, you don't need to care about refresh times

Mknzy

And more importantly, you don't need to care about refresh times

Yup, you can kinda just make your way through it more or less at your own pace. I will finish the first set today, 2nd set tomorrow, and 3rd set the next day. Nice and easy. Good way to get some 3* covers.

So I am thinking of what I want to do, and I am thinking a Loki/Patch/C Mags team could be deadly. Shields from Mags, add in his blue for good damage. Green from patch paired with Loki's black for stupid amounts of strike tiles, AP gen from Loki's green passive whenever your opponent makes a match 4, and board shuffle and cascades from Loki's Purple and pure damage from Patch's Red. Could be a nasty combination.

Yup, you can kinda just make your way through it more or less at your own pace. I will finish the first set today, 2nd set tomorrow, and 3rd set the next day. Nice and easy. Good way to get some 3* covers.

I have about 15 hours before I get on a boat with the family and lose internet access for several days...I am halfway through the second gauntlet and don't think I will make it. These fights wreak havoc on my teams

Mknzy

I have about 15 hours before I get on a boat with the family and lose internet access for several days...I am halfway through the second gauntlet and don't think I will make it. These fights wreak havoc on my teams

Well i hope you can make it. Remember if all you want is Loki you can skip the essential missions for the first and second maps and just run through the main path to unlock the final map.

shaowebb

Took on my first Loki with his new Mischief ability in the 3rd unlocked Gauntlet series. Oh man is this character power ever gonna stack up well for him. Dude was puttin up multiple countdowns every where each stealing 2 of a random color. I won, but given how fast Loki sets up cascades with his old powers he fuels up for Mischief quick.

In the right team I can see him really being a problem character for folks.

So far the things I keep looking at the most and getting ideas about are that power from Loki, and Blade given how fast he stacks the board up with tiles. Not really getting ideas for them together since Loki would likely just pop his tiles, but those two right now are the folks I keep getting ideas for new teams centered on them individually.

Mknzy

Took on my first Loki with his new Mischief ability in the 3rd unlocked Gauntlet series. Oh man is this character power ever gonna stack up well for him. Dude was puttin up multiple countdowns every where each stealing 2 of a random color. I won, but given how fast Loki sets up cascades with his old powers he fuels up for Mischief quick.

In the right team I can see him really being a problem character for folks.

So far the things I keep looking at the most and getting ideas about are that power from Loki, and Blade given how fast he stacks the board up with tiles. Not really getting ideas for them together since Loki would likely just pop his tiles, but those two right now are the folks I keep getting ideas for new teams centered on them individually.

I am thinking a Loki/Patch/C Mags team could be excessivly nasty. Loki uses purple to fuel AP gen through cascades and countdowns, use Patch's green followed by Loki's Black to get a ton of strike tiles with no downside, you have shields from CMags yellow, then massive damage from C Mags blue and Patch's red. Could be a really nasty NASTY combo.

Mknzy

Daredevil changes are out, here is the lowdown from Demiurge

Daredevil
Old
Radar Sense - Purple 11 AP
Daredevil's heightened senses let him strike first, terrifying the enemy. Creates a random basic Trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, steals 2 AP from all colors. If you match the tile, it steals 1 Purple AP and changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Steals 3 AP on enemy match.
Level 3: Steals 4 AP on enemy match.
Level 4: Steals 5 AP on enemy match.
Level 5: Steals 6 AP on enemy match.

New
Radar Sense - Purple 10 AP
Daredevil uses his Radar Sense to avoid his enemy's assault and strike at their weaknesses. Converts up to 3 random enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles to basic tiles and deals 71 damage for each tile converted.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Deals 109 damage for each converted tile.
Level 3: Deals 131 damage for each converted tile.
Level 4: Converts up to 4 Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles to basic tiles.
Level 5: Converts up to 5 tiles, dealing 180 damage per tile.
Max Level: 574 for each converted tile.

Design & Playability Thoughts:
Daredevil loses the AP steal, but gains the ability to directly punish the enemy for using special tiles. The relative lack of active abilities at the 3* level also means that this ability can be fairly easily charged and held in reserve for when Doom brings out a Summon Demons or Falcon decides to Bird Strike.

Old
Equalizer - Blue 7 AP
Billy Club in hand, Daredevil prowls the battlefield, waiting to even the odds. Create a Blue Trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, stuns for 2 turns. If you match the tile, it generates 1 Blue AP and changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Stuns for 3 turns.
Level 3: Stuns for 4 turns.
Level 4: Stuns for 5 turns.
Level 5: Stuns for 6 turns.

New
Billy Club - Blue 9 AP
Daredevil's Billy Club ricochets from target to target, striking his enemies with amazing accuracy. Stuns the target for 1 turn and creates a 4-turn Countdown tile that stuns for 1 turn, then creates a new Billy Club Countdown tile. If you match it, Daredevil catches his club and gains 1 Blue AP.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Matching the Billy Club tile generates 2 Blue AP.
Level 3: Stuns for 2 turns before placing the Countdown tile.
Level 4: Creates a 3 turn Countdown tile.
Level 5: Countdown tile stuns for 2 turns. Matching the Billy Club tile gains 3 AP.

This ability went through a relatively big change, going from a Trap that could stun for a long time on one opponent to one that's reminiscent of Captain America's Peacemaker, but with a twist. Like Peacemaker, it stuns on ability usage and creates a Countdown tile (but randomly here). When that tile goes off, the currently-targeted enemy gets stunned just like if the ability were cast originally and the Countdown tile moves.

If the tile is being threatened by an imminent match, the player always has the opportunity to match it up themselves and gain back a little bonus AP so Daredevil can throw his weapon of choice again. Due to the relatively low cost, throwing out 2-3 of these in a battle is a real possibility, which is where the refreshing stun timers really come into play.

Old
Ambush - Red 7 AP
Daredevil lurks in the shadow, ready to strike. Creates a Red Trap tile that, when matched by the enemy, deals 473 damage. If you match the tile, the enemy takes 24 damage and it changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: 662 damage on enemy match.
Level 3: 851 damage on enemy match.
Level 4: 1041 damage on enemy match.
Level 5: 1230 damage on enemy match.
Max Level: 9040/148 damage.

New
Ambush - Red 7 AP
Daredevil lurks in the shadow, ready to strike. Creates a Red Trap tile that, when matched by the enemy, deals 822 damage. If you match the tile, the enemy takes 279 damage and it changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Deals 948 damage when the enemy matches the tile, 356 damage when you match it.
Level 3: Deals 1123 damage when the enemy matches the tile, 410 damage when you match it.
Level 4: Deals 1370 damage when the enemy matches the tile, 574 damage when you match it.
Level 5: Deals 1726 damage when the enemy matches the tile, 957 damage when you match it.
Max Level: 5447/3044 damage.

One of the worst things ever is to be fighting Daredevil and have him lay down an Ambush. Suddenly, any Red match could be a deathtrap. One of the worst things as a player using Daredevil in this case was having to make that match yourself, since it did very little damage and meant that the opponent wouldn't have ready access to that Trap tile. So we've made Ambush into a bit of a more regularly usable ability by assigning more of that damage to the player match side of things. This turns the ability into one that can be used in a more offensive fashion than a purely defensive one. Especially combined with abilities that limit Red tile choices on the board (like Mystique's Infiltration), this makes Ambush far more of a renewable, offensive tool than it was before.

*As an additional change, Daredevil (Classic) is also taking back his "Man Without Fear" title from Black Panther. While the in-game armor Black Panther wears is the one utilized while taking over that named mantle, we think that this new incarnation of Daredevil deserves the more descriptive name. Black Panther's subtitle will be changing to 'T'Challa'.

I just got Beast cover for Season VIII with an apology letter saying "sorry it ended so soon".

I also had a pop-up stating something about an update, but I closed it too quickly before I could even read it I had just closed that HP contest pop-up a split second before hand.

anyone else get that, or know what that is about?

I just got Beast cover for Season VIII with an apology letter saying "sorry it ended so soon".

I also had a pop-up stating something about an update, but I closed it too quickly before I could even read it I had just closed that HP contest pop-up a split second before hand.

anyone else get that, or know what that is about?
Yeah, I got that too. He will probably go to waste since I don't have slots available for him.

Ape

Banned
I got beast too but he doesn't look that great. no spots open either like you said. I had a single cover black panther that i sold because he is out for this season to make room for two covers of captain america. hes way slow...

shaowebb

I would have preferred the Daredevil tiles to be rebalanced with the idea of them activating if you used something like thunderous clap with Hulk and popped them. As is the problem they give me is they are far too easy to just remove from a board with stuff like Punisher's stuff, Magneto's stuff, and just general explosion type moves.

I guess what they did is nice, but he still only feels useable in like a 3rd of the matches.

Dispatch

I like the new Daredevil changes, for what it's worth. Being able to use your own traps is a HUGE improvement. Just like has been posted before, I do wish the traps were protected and couldn't be changed into other types of tiles. (Facing a Daken is a pain because he changes red traps to strike tiles.)

Mknzy

Damn, I may not make it. I am only 7 or 8 nodes away from the green Loki cover, but the pairings they came up with for this Gauntlet are NASTY. My next challenge is Simulation 37 which is hitting me with a 224 Black Panther, 226 Psylocke, and a level 226 Lazy Thor. OUCH.

Dispatch

I saw I wasn't going to be able to make it a couple days ago, and just quit. I could only imagine how frustrating it would be to get close and not make it.

Mknzy

Got 37. 38 is the stuff nightmares are made of. 235 CMags and Loki, 236 Juggernaut. Went in with LThor XForce and Hood for some AP control. I got CMags and almost got Loki. I couldn't see how much damage headbutt did as it did more than my Thor had but the recoil took 3000 out of his nearly 20000 health.

Managed a top 50 in Cap PvP, got a She-Hulk. Got another one from finishing the second Gauntlet. Third one is nopesville, population me.

Not sure how I want to approach the new Sentry PvE... I want to get an Elektra, but I'm undecided about going from the top or waiting until the end...

Mknzy

I surrender. I cannot beat that juggernaut.

Edit. no sooner do I give up than i try one more time and clear the node. Goqfigure. Next node is 245s including Hood and Sentry. Doable but it is going to hurt. I aay be able to pull out a Loki yet! I am going to keep trying. Still they came up with some really nasty teams to fight this time around. Ouch!

Do it bro!

I gave up yesterday after finishing 2nd campaign. No way I'd get there on 3rd.

I want a slightly more powered up SheHulk for the next one, because I need more Sentry covers.

I don't remember that moment... I just start with the OP superteams... one of the main reasons I rarely do anything in pvp because it takes to long to do

Jelly.

I like to get to 300 quickly, which usually happens. I often use my scrubs to do this, with one OP guy on the team doing the real work.

Then from 300 to 500, things are still pretty easy. Once I hit 550 or so, though, suddenly I'm seeing two guys on the other team with over 10,000 hit points. The third has 5-6,000.

zulux21

I don't get why you are jelly...
do you really want this to be the first thing you see when you enter a match (aside from every once in a while a bot team that is quickly replaced with this)
1f1e2349df.jpg

6ea5021ffe.jpg

4173cad8b1.jpg

those are the first three teams I saw after skipping the single round of bot teams I had in the captain pvp which I just started.

Top Bottom